PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz -- APPLY to Get a Spot in Line

Gray Peterson
10-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Santa Cruz County CCW Policy, Good Cause statements, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/132-santa-cruz)

2014 Nov 15 UPDATE: Per my (Paladin's) post in this thread today (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=15266388#post15266388), you should apply ASAP if your Good Cause is "self-defense"/"personal protection" to get a space in line for processing after Peruta is finalized.

2015 Sept 18 UPDATE: Per my (Paladin's) post in this thread today (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=16944869#post16944869), the SO says there'll be no change at least after the Peruta en banc panel renders its opinion.

creekside
10-18-2010, 2:59 PM
"Show good cause for the issuance based on substantial evidence of a clear and present danger to life or great bodily harm to the applicant or immediate family which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources and which cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures. The danger must be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed weapon."

http://www.scsheriff.com/mycommunity_slv.html

San Lorenzo Valley Service Center
6059 Highway Nine, Felton.
(831) 461-7400

Serving the communities of Ben Lomond, Bonny Doon, Boulder Creek, Brookdale, Felton, Mount Hermon and Zayante/Lompico

The Service Center is almost seven miles south of downtown Boulder Creek.

These are the county "no shoot zones" established by county ordinance:

http://www.scsheriff.com/pdfs/No%20Shoot%20Zone%20600%20RES.pdf

otteray
10-18-2010, 6:50 PM
From what I read: as a resident of the City of Santa Cruz, not of the unincorporated portion of the County
I'm SOL?:(:confused:

obeygiant
10-18-2010, 8:04 PM
From what I read: as a resident of the City of Santa Cruz, not of the unincorporated portion of the County
I'm SOL?:(:confused:

No, by law the Sheriff is required to review all applications. This particular practice of requiring one to go to their city police chief first or the unwillingness to accept applications from those that reside in incorporated areas is part of the "clean up process" that Wildhawker and Gray have addressed before.

creekside
10-18-2010, 8:29 PM
A quick Google indicates that the city of Santa Cruz uses the "LEXIPOL (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/lexipol.html)" policy for CCW.

Various claims are made (including a 2004 E-mail from an SCPD Sergeant (http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=1358741&postcount=7)) that SCPD has 'never' issued a CCW. This may or may not be true. It is known that they did not issue a single CCW in 2005 (http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/810-all-cities-issued-two-year-ccws-2005-a.html).

The linked documents below may resemble the Santa Cruz PD policy, no promises:

http://old.californiaccw.org/files/mccloud-v-santa-maria/plaintiff-exhibit-6.pdf

http://www.townofsananselmo.org/documents/Police/Policy%20Manual%2020100705.PDF (large PDF, pages 26-31)

In any case, experts on the CCW application process have strongly suggested that one has all their ducks in a row before starting the process.

santacruzstefan
10-19-2010, 12:28 AM
I live in Live Oak (unincorporated), and I wonder about the "clear and present danger" aspect mentioned above. What does that mean, that I essentially need to have an RO against someone, or someone has made documented threats against my life before they will consider issuing a CCW?

wildhawker
10-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Santa Cruz good cause will be available very soon.

Santa Cruz Armory
10-19-2010, 1:14 AM

County or city? Can you elaborate? I'm in the county. Thanks.

wildhawker
10-19-2010, 1:29 AM
County. We generally won't be working on cities since there's limited utility.

otteray
10-19-2010, 5:53 AM
Because I work strictly in the unincorporated area of the county (edit: I am employed by SC County) and therefore spend a substantial amount of time outside of the S.C. city limits where I live; will I be able to apply through the S.O. or am I still SOL?
Color me depressed...

CCWFacts
10-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Because I work strictly in the unincorporated area of the county and therefore spend a substantial amount of time outside of the S.C. city limits where I live; will I be able to apply through the S.O. or am I still SOL?
Color me depressed...

If you live anywhere within the county, you can apply to the sheriff. Some sheriffs will require you to apply to your city first if you live in a city, but after the city rejects you, the county must evaluate your application.

Regardless, unless you are extremely well-connected, you will not get a CCW in SC city or county, short of a lawsuit.

dantodd
10-19-2010, 11:39 AM
If you live anywhere within the county, you can apply to the sheriff. Some sheriffs will require you to apply to your city first if you live in a city, but after the city rejects you, the county must evaluate your application.

The sheriff is statutorily prohibited from requiring you to apply to your city first. This drill will be aimed specifically at the sheriff's issuing policies and acceptable good cause in 90% of the cases. There will be a few outliers where city policy might be important and where applying to the city might be advantageous.

Don't worry about applying to the Santa Cruz PD you will be going directly to the Sheriff and Gray is/has been softening up the field by contacting the Sheriff to let him know where their policy doesn't follow the law.

otteray
10-19-2010, 7:22 PM
I suppose that is a bit clearer.:yinyang:
Thanks to members CCWFACTS and dantodd for their replies.
Now, I'm stuck somewhere between "Aw, heck" and "Wahoo!"
That is far better than my previous state of SOL.:cool:

santacruzstefan
10-20-2010, 3:18 AM
Tell me what about the "good moral character" aspect of the CCW. Does that just mean you aren't a prohibited person? Otherwise, it seems like they could use almost anything against you, since the way its worded its completely subjective.

nil
10-20-2010, 11:23 PM

I'm looking forward to getting more information.

hoffmang
10-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Tell me what about the "good moral character" aspect of the CCW. Does that just mean you aren't a prohibited person? Otherwise, it seems like they could use almost anything against you, since the way its worded its completely subjective.

There are really only two ways to be denied based on not having good moral character.

1. Lieing on the application.

2. Having a lot of recent arrests or a recent serious conviction while still not being prohibited from owning firearms.

-Gene

Santa Cruz Armory
10-22-2010, 6:29 PM
$100 sent for Santa Cruz Co. Great job CGF!

Santa Cruz Armory
10-22-2010, 6:30 PM
Is it worth applying now, or should I just volunteer to help the CGF?

wildhawker
10-22-2010, 6:56 PM
We'll be reaching out to SC County residents soon.

-Brandon

nil
10-23-2010, 3:35 AM
We'll be reaching out to SC County residents soon.

Please do soon. I'm in the City of Santa Cruz and hope I can be of help.

otteray
10-23-2010, 3:31 PM
On the face of it all, at least it appears a helluva lot cheaper than Alameda Co.
No expensive shrink exam mentioned, either.

jorgyusa
10-26-2010, 3:17 PM
Looking forward to the info Brandon. I am anxious to apply. Live in unincorporated Santa Cruz County.

NorCal MedTac
10-31-2010, 1:55 PM
Is it worth applying now, or should I just volunteer to help the CGF?

Curious about this myself.... Robert, we could go down in uniform together for just to add to the good character fun.

santacruzmoto
11-01-2010, 6:09 PM
Please keep us posted! I have had many phone conversations with the scsd about ccw policy and even went in and sat in the detective's office that is responsible for ccw apps.
I have nothing on my record not even a speeding ticket, I have good moral character, and some training. Yet I was treated like a criminal wanting to carry my weapon legally. The only thing they say is "we don't need people running around the streets with guns. something needs to change, please contact me if I can help.

surfinguru
11-07-2010, 2:17 PM
Hey guys, wondering if there are any new developments or if there is anything we can do to help out besides just being a volunteer or donating funds?

fullspeed1
11-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Ahhhhh, Change would be great in this god awful POS county!

Santa Cruz Armory
11-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Curious about this myself.... Robert, we could go down in uniform together for just to add to the good character fun.

I think all that would do for me is get a phone call to the Chief... But then again, I can be a sh*t disturber now and again. :43:

Honestly though, I would love to know when it's safe to apply, or if there has been any progress in SC county.

dantodd
11-16-2010, 2:58 PM
The good cause statements for all current permit holders is now available on the CalGuns Foundation website. http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/132-santa-cruz

These are the good cause statements that the Santa Cruz sheriff has deemed adequate to issue permits for.

surfinguru
11-16-2010, 4:34 PM
The good cause statements for all current permit holders is now available on the CalGuns Foundation website. http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/132-santa-cruz

These are the good cause statements that the Santa Cruz sheriff has deemed adequate to issue permits for.

Thanks dantodd!! Looks like the predominant good causes are business owner, prior LEO, judge, and significant-documented threats to the applicant. ALOT of "buisiness only" limitations there as well.

Soooo, now that we have these pieces of info, what's the next step??

dantodd
11-16-2010, 5:17 PM
As I was looking through these it seems that many calgunners might have good cause very similar to those on pgs. 24 and 27.

the GC on pg 24 is essentially that the person is a firearms instructor, sells something (can't tell what) and he carries lots of guns and sensitive/expensive equipment around. I think nearly half the calgunners might also carry lots of guns and equipment around, though they aren't instructors I don't see where that is really a factor in increasing the applicants risk.

I don't see where the fact that the GC on pg. 27 is for a business owner is particularly relevant as the reason s/he feels the need to carry is because they are required to respond at all times of the day and night, carries cash and wears jewelry. (while I don't wear jewelry it is possible that a Roles might qualify)

As for what you should do with this info, I suspect that Wildhawker is the best to answer that. I am not sure if he wants people to apply with well crafted GC now that they know what the sheriff has recently accepted or if he wants people to wait. I'll let him chime in on that.

JRent54
11-16-2010, 6:22 PM
Wildhaker, let me know what i can do to help this initiative.

surfinguru
11-16-2010, 8:36 PM
I don't see where the fact that the GC on pg. 27 is for a business owner is particularly relevant as the reason s/he feels the need to carry is because they are required to respond at all times of the day and night, carries cash and wears jewelry. (while I don't wear jewelry it is possible that a Roles might qualify)

As for what you should do with this info, I suspect that Wildhawker is the best to answer that. I am not sure if he wants people to apply with well crafted GC now that they know what the sheriff has recently accepted or if he wants people to wait. I'll let him chime in on that.

Hmm, so I'm a network engineer supporting a Fortune 500 company that's on-call 24/7. I'm occasionally called in at odd hours of the night/morning and transport high value/dollar network equipment in my vehicle. Getting into that "gray" area, but sounds like I "might" have something to work with?

dantodd
11-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Hmm, so I'm a network engineer supporting a Fortune 500 company that's on-call 24/7. I'm occasionally called in at odd hours of the night/morning and transport high value/dollar network equipment in my vehicle. Getting into that "gray" area, but sounds like I "might" have something to work with?

Your good cause does sound pretty similar to the good cause for which the sheriff has already issued a permit.

I don't suppose you have to respond to different locations such as co-location facilities etc. that might have delayed police response time and/or be "dark" areas with no lampposts etc. Most importantly, don't lie on your app, they will find out.

Blackhawk556
11-22-2010, 12:03 AM
From the counties that have good statements so far, it looks like Santa Cruz is the "hardest" to qualify for. Most of the good cause statements seems to be at least a page long with many details.

westsiderippa
11-30-2010, 6:41 PM
hey everyone, i to am here to help in the santa cruz county fight for ccw. i cant seem to download the gc pages, dont think its my computer as i have tried it on other computers and still no dice. going to be donating next week, after payday. im in public safety, the wife is also in public safety, we live in the mountains so were county. should i apply or keep waiting. has anyone been denied yet? or better yet, granted?

obeygiant
11-30-2010, 9:12 PM
hey everyone, i to am here to help in the santa cruz county fight for ccw. i cant seem to download the gc pages, dont think its my computer as i have tried it on other computers and still no dice.

Weird it doesn't open properly if you click on it in Firefox but it opens just fine in IE and Chrome. Try right clicking on the link and selecting "Save Link As" in Firefox or "Save Target As" in IE and see if you are able to download it that way.

westsiderippa
11-30-2010, 9:50 PM
thanks for the info but i dont get it? it uploads but the file is blank? the doj app downloads just fine and i have all pages but the gc and the local policies are just blank files, huh idk. maybe its a mac thing. im going to try it in safari instead of firefox and see but i doubt that works. and i have no access to a pc

obeygiant
11-30-2010, 9:52 PM
thanks for the info but i dont get it? it uploads but the file is blank? the doj app downloads just fine and i have all pages but the gc and the local policies are just blank files, huh idk. maybe its a mac thing. im going to try it in safari instead of firefox and see but i doubt that works. and i have no access to a pc

There was one other instance with a member not being able to download it properly and they were also on a Mac. I'm going to have to test this with mine and see if I can find what is the common cause. IIRC the other user had Mac OS 10.4, do you know what version you are running?

ETA:

I just tried it on my Mac G4, running OS 10.4, and I was able to reproduce the same results when trying to download it using Firefox. I tried Safari and it gave me a bit more information, stating that the file was created using a newer version of Acrobat and that I needed to go to Adobe's site and download the latest version of Acrobat Reader. You can download the latest version of Acrobat from Here (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=macintosh&product=10)

westsiderippa
11-30-2010, 10:07 PM

obeygiant
11-30-2010, 10:10 PM

That's what I thought. Try upgrading acrobat to the latest version and re-download the GC statements.

otteray
12-01-2010, 7:22 PM
Hey, fellow West Sider, If you can't make it download, I can print the GC statements and drop 'em off.
Or, you could use a memory stick to suck them out of my laptop's brain.
I'm on Fair Ave, within spitting distance of the New Leaf Market.

westsiderippa
12-07-2010, 11:43 PM
otteray, that would be great if you could help me out. pm sent.

mrboma
12-08-2010, 4:20 PM
I am getting a "bad encrypt dictionary" error when I try to open the PDF. (WinXP - IE7)
Any idea's? I am also in Live Oak and have been looking into this.
Regards,
Mike

otteray
12-08-2010, 7:37 PM
I've downloaded the GCs onto a USB flash drive. Westsiderippa has first dibs; then the Eastsider, mrboma, can borrow it.
You may save it as a file but it cannot be printed; that's how the GCF author set the file property restrictions.

Wildhawker, I'm seeking permission here; is this type of file sharing okay to do? Sharing from a USB file? I'm a carpenter not a computer geek; so I ask.

jonzer77
12-08-2010, 7:56 PM
So if I put that I live in Watsonville as my reason for wanting one, would it get granted? :)

otteray
12-08-2010, 8:23 PM
I am getting a "bad encrypt dictionary" error when I try to open the PDF. (WinXP - IE7)
Any idea's? I am also in Live Oak and have been looking into this.
Regards,
Mike

PM'd you. I got the A-okay to share the thumb drive with the GC file.

jerryballs
12-20-2010, 5:13 PM
Hey Guys...I am a small business owner and my Good cause statements are way better than the ones listed...I am curious would you encourage me to apply even though I most likely will be denied? Or is applying and getting denied considered bad?

Also, has there been any more movement in our area toward easier issuance?

Thanks in advance

Jerry

brunester
01-06-2011, 4:53 PM
I have been a long time lurker of CalGuns,
I live in Santa Cruz city,
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
-Eric

westsiderippa
01-30-2011, 8:57 PM
otteray, i would like to get a hold of you again and download the statements to my lap top, just to have them as reference.

jerryballs, i have to admit i was very bumbed out when i read the GC statements. i could not believe what i was reading. i actually thought most of them were a joke. lots of hand written statements that were simply sloppy and looked as if they were written by a 2 year old. IMO most of them were extremely weak causes. from what i can gather you have to be retired leo, need to have a restraining order filed on someone, or prove you basically run diamonds and large sums of money. or be buddy/buddy with someone.

obeygiant
01-30-2011, 9:50 PM
There was one other instance with a member not being able to download it properly and they were also on a Mac. I'm going to have to test this with mine and see if I can find what is the common cause. IIRC the other user had Mac OS 10.4, do you know what version you are running?

ETA:

I just tried it on my Mac G4, running OS 10.4, and I was able to reproduce the same results when trying to download it using Firefox. I tried Safari and it gave me a bit more information, stating that the file was created using a newer version of Acrobat and that I needed to go to Adobe's site and download the latest version of Acrobat Reader. You can download the latest version of Acrobat from Here (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=macintosh&product=10)

That's what I thought. Try upgrading acrobat to the latest version and re-download the GC statements.

otteray, i would like to get a hold of you again and download the statements to my lap top, just to have them as reference.

Did you try upgrading Adobe Acrobat on your laptop? This has been the solution for nearly everyone that has had trouble opening the pdfs.

surfinguru
02-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Bump for any new updates??

jerryballs
03-09-2011, 8:58 PM
So just got back my denial just 2 short weeks after submitting it. I have sufficient cause according to the other approved statements. Not sure what to do now...I have always been aware that its nearly impossible to get, so I am not too bummed, however I have to admit that based on my interview I am surprised that I didn't get it.

jerryballs
06-16-2011, 12:41 PM
any updates here?

Barkoff
06-18-2011, 6:47 AM
So just got back my denial just 2 short weeks after submitting it. I have sufficient cause according to the other approved statements. Not sure what to do now...I have always been aware that its nearly impossible to get, so I am not too bummed, however I have to admit that based on my interview I am surprised that I didn't get it.

Look up "blowing smoke up your ***" in the urban dictionary.

Did you submit to SCPD or the Sheriff?

NorCal MedTac
07-24-2011, 5:08 PM
any updates here?

Nope. I have sent PMs to both Hoffmag and wildhawker at different times in the last couple weeks and got not response from either. I think Santa Cruz is on its own.

hoffmang
07-24-2011, 7:03 PM
Please read my .sig.

-Gene

Kid Stanislaus
07-24-2011, 8:48 PM

Yeah, if you can't prove that you've never passed gas upwind of the Queen of England then you are deemed to have poor moral character!:D

jerryballs
07-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Look up "blowing smoke up your ***" in the urban dictionary.

Did you submit to SCPD or the Sheriff?

I applied to the sheriff.

DeanW66
07-28-2011, 4:00 AM
Sponsorship submitted today (PP, ID #4T3236341D809820W). Looking forward to adding the nifty little logo to my signature (speaking of which how do I go about that? I know how to edit my sig but not where to find the logo).

Santa Cruz Armory
07-28-2011, 5:36 AM
If everything goes as planned, I'll be applying in about 4-6 weeks.

watsonville
08-25-2011, 1:03 AM
We should have someone from calguns interview our shrriffs and police chiefs on ksco 1080

watsonville
10-11-2011, 1:04 AM
Bump anyone gonna apply now that theres sb 610 passed?

Support the nra

NorCal MedTac
10-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Bump anyone gonna apply now that theres sb 610 passed?

Support the nra

Actually just printing it off now and will call to make an appoitment to drop off.

surfinguru
10-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Actually just printing it off now and will call to make an appoitment to drop off.

Hey, keep us posted as to how it goes. Very interested in the response you get.

CycloSteve
10-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Definitely keep us informed how the process progresses, as those of us in the rural areas of SCz County are on our own.

831Shooter
11-03-2011, 3:17 PM
Any updates from SC county?

Does anyone have a copy of the current sheriff's policy for LTC. The one linked to on CGF is from 1996 under Sheriff Robbins?

Thanks,
831S

Jedediah Munroe
11-04-2011, 4:50 AM
The current policy for LTC is the policy from 1996 under Sheriff Robbins

NorCal MedTac
11-08-2011, 3:24 PM
Hey, keep us posted as to how it goes. Very interested in the response you get.

Successfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool2:

Santa Cruz Armory
11-08-2011, 3:26 PM

You're awesome! :thumbsup:

Pat Riot
11-08-2011, 4:45 PM

What was your GC?

goober
11-08-2011, 8:30 PM

are you saying you were granted an LTC in SC county less than 30 days after applying?
if so, congrats!
a CGF Sunshine Initiative Ambassador will be contacting you shortly.

surfinguru
11-08-2011, 8:57 PM

So, successful as in you got your permit, or they accepted your application?

Don't hold out on us man, give us the scoop!

Gotrovr
11-08-2011, 9:39 PM

do share..

831Shooter
11-09-2011, 11:57 AM

Awesome to hear.

PM sent!

831S

831Shooter
11-09-2011, 11:57 AM
The current policy for LTC is the policy from 1996 under Sheriff Robbins

Thanks JM.

NorCal MedTac
11-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Awesome to hear.

PM sent!

831S

VM left for you.

Brannon
831-970-0440
brannon@norcalmedtac.com

surfinguru
11-16-2011, 9:12 AM

Hey furryrabbit, any chance you can "walk" us through your experience? (The Sacramento thread is a good example of the process one would expect to experience.) I know people lead busy lives, but anything you could do to help sway the balance of power to the individual would be appreciated.

Knowledge is power!

goober
11-16-2011, 9:35 AM
Hey furryrabbit, any chance you can "walk" us through your experience? (The Sacramento thread is a good example of the process one would expect to experience.) I know people lead busy lives, but anything you could do to help sway the balance of power to the individual would be appreciated.

Knowledge is power!

furryrabbit has been contacted by an LTC Sunshine Initiative Ambassador, with whom i'm sure he'll share his experience. this will be compiled with other's experiences and additional information, and will ultimately be disseminated to all interested parties in the sort of "what to expect" documentation you've described.
this is not to say that he won't just post it all here if he's comfortable with that, but rest assured that there is a process in place to get & share the information in a not-so-public way.

watsonville
12-11-2011, 8:59 PM
Any updates?

CABilly
01-09-2012, 4:56 AM
Maybe they smartened up and made furryrabbit sign a NDA.

surfinguru
02-22-2012, 8:18 AM
Hey Team, 3 months out from the rabbit's approval. Any updates?

pigeonwing
05-02-2012, 1:25 PM
Hey guys, just joined this forum as you seem to have the most information available for Santa Cruz. I thought I would follow up along with surfinguru regarding rabbit's recent success.

Any news for this process?
Updated GC statements?
Is the sheriff the right venue for a resident of Santa Cruz City?

Thank you for any assistance.

cparsons07
05-09-2012, 6:46 AM
Hey Guys,

I've started a Facebook group for those concerned about the lack of CCWs issued in Santa Cruz County. Please join the cause.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCCCW/

I'm far from an expert on the matter but, as a concerned citizen/husband/father, it means a lot to me. Is there any updated info/stats on CCW for Santa Cruz County?

Thanks,

Chris Parsons

twinfin
05-09-2012, 7:58 AM
Many of us are not on Facebook so starting a group there is going to limit you. With the recent random killing in the City of Santa Cruz, now might be the time to start putting some pressure on the Sheriff's Dept.

cparsons07
05-09-2012, 8:54 AM
Not on facebook? Buddy, my 80 year old grandmother is on Facebook! (just giving you a hard time)

I will check out the new members forum. Thanks!

NorCal MedTac
05-10-2012, 3:49 PM
So since my approval the policy has changed. They have switched to a lexipol policy that is so screwed up and not in line with law its not even funny. I am now an endorsed instructor for the Sheriff's office through my company (www.norcalmedtac.com). I share my good cause statement and personal conversations with the Sheriff to those that come do our classes. I will say for some that did ask specifically that the Sheriff has said that he will not be issuing many permits.

The current information on the calguns foundation is incorrect. It has an outdated policy. We do need to get the most recent good cause statements censored and up.

The facebook site is a great idea. Parsons has it as a closed group so he does have to approve the people. I know I for one am a little more secure talking about it all through that medium than on calguns which is read by all of our enemies everyday. Why on earth anyone that is on calguns wouldn't want to be on facebook is beyond me. Its the most powerful social media currently out there. We are a small county and I know when I reached out for help trying get my permit there was nothing but silence and no returned emails or PMs from anyone at calguns. My experience seems to be the same to another recent successful applicant. But it is true that with the recent murder we have an opportunity to be in the drivers seat some and try and get a voice heard (http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_20573683/suspect-identified-fatal-stabbing-santa-cruz?IADID=Search-www.santacruzsentinel.com-www.santacruzsentinel.com).

For a shameless plug we are holding a CCW class that counts for Santa Cruz County on July 8th and 9th (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=564808). You know we will be giving out all of the info we have there.

HowardW56
06-05-2012, 7:57 PM
6/5/2012 UPDATE

New policy and application process available HERE (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/ccw-initiative/132-santa-cruz.html)

choprzrul
07-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Don't know if this would be of benefit, but figured that I would post it up:

A Glitch Lead to a Man's Early Release from a Mental Hospital (http://www.kcoy.com/story/18937020/glitch-lead-to-mans-early-release-from-mental-hospital)

HowardW56
10-18-2012, 5:16 PM
LATEST LTC application process added to the Calguns Foundation website HERE (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/scso_ccw_applicant_process_handout_(rev_5-7-12).pdf).

otteray
10-18-2012, 7:57 PM
I searched and could not find the required Cal DOJ
form FD4012 dated 06/02 that was requested in the download.

HowardW56
10-18-2012, 8:05 PM
I searched and could not find the required Cal DOJ
form FD4012 dated 06/02 that was requested in the download.

The link has been corrected.

It is the first link on this page (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/ccw-initiative/132-santa-cruz.html).

otteray
10-18-2012, 8:17 PM
Hope I'm not being a pain but even after going to your updated link, I still can't find Cal DOJ
form FD4012 dated 06/02 :(

HowardW56
10-18-2012, 8:21 PM
Hope I'm not being a pain but even after going to your updated link, I still can't find Cal DOJ
form FD4012 dated 06/02 :(

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/scso_ccw_application_for_license_to_carry_conceale d_weapon_(10-17-12).pdf

The form number is at the lower left on the second page....

ShotsFired444
04-12-2013, 5:57 PM
I found this hunting around on the web to anyone interested. It was a pain to find.

Well turns out I can't attach it because the .pdf is 7MB and I can only upload up to 5MB. Anyone who wants it just PM me and I can e-mail it to ya. Good luck out there!

cparsons07
05-23-2013, 3:34 PM
The link to known successful good cause statements is broken. Can anybody point me to where it has been moved to?

Thanks!

otteray
05-24-2013, 7:26 AM
Chris, I recall Wildhawker or someone saying that it was temporarily lost when they updated the website.

However, I saved them on my computer.
I'll share them with you for, say, a box of your .22 ammo?

I kid. Check your FB PMs. I just sent you the .pdf

mattsn0w
05-29-2013, 12:20 AM
If someone can share the file with me i'll throw it up on my website or on my public Dropbox.

SCruzsurfer
06-17-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm disappointed to share my CCW application was just denied here in Santa Cruz County. I thought I had a 'good cause' statement (my side business requires me traveling all over the county with expensive equipment and cash), but apparently not good enough. I read and used the 'known good' cause statements I found here on calguns to craft my application, but like I said, no dice. Not sure what my next step will be. Hoping to speak to the deputy I contacted initially to get more insight.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Looking for the Santa Cruz good cause statements. The links aren't working.

TIA

chainsaw
01-21-2014, 9:56 AM
The CGF has taken all the "sunshine initiative" data offline. CGF board members have stated at times that they will be put back up soon, or that they are looking for funding for bringing the data back, or that they are working on a new and better initiative. In the meantime, another use has started a similar initiative of gathering data.

If you want the good cause statements, you can always file a PRA yourself. It's free, and not very much work. On the other hand, the probability of getting a CCW permit in Santa Cruz county is fundamentally zero anyhow (unless you are a sworn enemy of the CGF, which will be considered in your favor in various bay area counties), so I don't see the point of bothering with a PRA or an application.

HowardW56
01-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Looking for the Santa Cruz good cause statements. The links aren't working.

TIA

All you needed to do is ask...

These are dated, but have at them....

mattsn0w
02-21-2014, 8:42 PM
If the 9th ruling stays, is anyone up for doing a bulk drop off of applications?

jonzer77
02-21-2014, 9:10 PM
If the 9th ruling stays, is anyone up for doing a bulk drop off of applications?

I would wait until we hear about the Roberts case since they could still deny you based on good moral character.

Paladin
02-21-2014, 9:21 PM
I would wait until we hear about the Roberts case since they could still deny you based on good moral character.
:confused:

Do you mean the Richards, CGF's Yolo Co case?

GC was so arbitrary, the sheriff could drive a Mack truck thru it.
GMC the sheriff can squeeze a motorcycle thru.

Plus, seeing that the fed cts are now involved in scrutinizing CCW issuance practices and that our lawsuits aren't a bunch of hot air, I expect a LOT of anti sheriffs to fall in line fast. After all, anti sheriffs are merely "politicians with badges & guns" and they don't want bad press. :rolleyes:

jonzer77
02-21-2014, 9:32 PM
:confused:

Do you mean the Richards, CGF's Yolo Co case?

GC was so arbitrary, the sheriff could drive a Mack truck thru it.
GMC the sheriff can squeeze a motorcycle thru.

Plus, seeing that the fed cts are now involved in scrutinizing CCW issuance practices and that our lawsuits aren't a bunch of hot air, I expect a LOT of anti sheriffs to fall in line fast. After all, anti sheriffs are merely "politicians with badges & guns" and they don't want bad press. :rolleyes:

Yeah that's the one. There should be a decision coming soon and that should hopefully get rid of GMC.

I am not so sure about the fast part but I do expect them to eventually start issuing permits. Wowak must be sh**ing his pants right now and I love it :)

camom5
02-25-2014, 9:36 PM
I just read Sheriff Wowak's letter: Concealed Weapons License Application Process, dated Feb. 25, 2014. It references Cal DOJ form FD4012 (06/02). I've looked for this form and have been unable to find the form or a link. I have located several forms stating they are Standard Applications for License to Carry CCW. All are similar (BCIA4012, etc.), but none are the exact one referenced and I certainly don't want my app kicked back. Does anyone have a link? If so, thank you.

jonzer77
02-25-2014, 9:39 PM
I just read Sheriff Wowak's letter: Concealed Weapons License Application Process, dated Feb. 25, 2014. It references Cal DOJ form FD4012 (06/02). I've looked for this form and have been unable to find the form or a link. I have located several forms stating they are Standard Applications for License to Carry CCW. All are similar (BCIA4012, etc.), but none are the exact one referenced and I certainly don't want my app kicked back. Does anyone have a link? If so, thank you.

You have to go pick up an app in person I believe. I can't find a link for it anywhere on there site.

Where did you find his letter?

Nor*Cal
02-25-2014, 9:59 PM

Wow, it seems that form is the revision from June 2002. My guess is that you will not find a link for a 12 year old form.

The current DOJ application is: BOF 4012 (Rev. 11/2012)

camom5
02-25-2014, 10:58 PM
His letter was forwarded to me by my friend tonight in a text link. I will drop by the S.O. tomorrow.
I wondered about the June 2002 reference.
Thank you for the advice. I'll post an update tomorrow with my findings.

jonzer77
02-26-2014, 7:39 AM
http://www.norcalmedtac.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Amended-Applicant-Process-Handout.pdf

I found a link.

camom5
02-26-2014, 7:41 AM
Thank you. Added the group so now I'll get updates.

surfinguru
02-26-2014, 10:06 AM
How about the 3 letters of reference. Anyone have examples of what they're looking for?

otteray
02-26-2014, 11:54 AM
I can't find the source; but try this:

Some suggested points to include that would be helpful:
1. Nature of the relationship
2. Length of time of the relationship
3. Acknowledgment that the recommendation is for a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
4. The applicant is of good moral character.
5. The recommendation is done without reservation.
6. Date, contact information & Signature.

EDIT: I recall the source for these; it believe it's CGN's own RomanDad

westsiderippa
03-05-2014, 5:12 PM
Picked up apps today for myself and the wife. They have them in stacks down at 701 ocean. I thought it was interesting how it states if the new 9c decision is changed you may have to re enter your good cause and may have your CCW revoked.

So we are working on all of our phase 1 info but I have a question about phase 2. Mainly regarding the approved course. Can we take our course now and submit the cert during phase 2? Or do we need to wait to take the course until phase 1 is complete? And any recommendations on when and where to take the course?

surfinguru
03-07-2014, 4:26 PM
Ok, I know we're in somewhat uncharted territory here and I'm in no way trying to be cantankerous, but can someone provide some clarification for me?

Sheriffs CCWPolicyRev2 says:
Phase One (to be completed by all applicants)
1. Complete and submit a Standard Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon (Cal DOJ form BOF4012). Do not include separate attachments for information requested within the application. Initial every page of the document.
2. Based on current law, and in the absence of any applicable exclusionary factors, self-defense or personal safety qualifies as sufficient “good cause” for the issuance of a license. However, if the law changes in any respect, we may require applicants to supplement the “good cause” statement in order to retain any CCW License that has been issued based on the law in place at the time the license was issued.
3. Submit three signed letters of character reference from individuals other than relatives.
4. Submit proof of ownership and registration of each weapon to
license for concealment.
5. Submit two recent passport size photos (2” x 2”) of the applicant.
6. Complete Live Scan applicant fingerprinting for CCW application (DOJ
fees paid by applicant):http://www.scsheriff.com/Home/LiveScanFingerprinting.aspx
or 454-3007 for more information.

and the DOJBOF4012 app says:

1. Complete, read, and sign Sections 1 through 5, as directed. Use additional pages if more space is required.
2. Sections 6, 7, and 8 must be completed in the presence of an official of the licensing agency.
3. Review Section 7 and be prepared to answer these questions orally. Do not write anything in Section 7 unless specifically directed to do so by the licensing agency.

Does one put their "self-defense" good cause on the app when we turn it in or not? Line 2 intimates that you do, yet the DOJ form says it must be completed in the presence of an official.

Secondly, per Sheriff's Phase One, applicants are supposed to complete the Live scan. However, early reports are that applicants are being told NOT to do the Live Scans when turning in their apps and wait to be contacted for an interview. I'd really like to see a flow chart of the process at this point.

It just seems odd to me to not include one's reason for applying or providing one's Live Scan results upfront.

otteray
03-07-2014, 8:19 PM
The instructions are stated on the application; just to fill out 1-5 as needed. Nothing else. Your cause is stated under item 7, not 1 through 5.
I asked SGT Medina this morning about the livescan. He stated that it needs to be done when the application is first turned in, or else he cannot move forward to phase 2. He jokingly told me that they want to make sure I'm not a serial killer. Well, I think he was joking anyway :shrug:
It takes at least a month to hear back from DOJ with the livescan results.

He recommended taking the ccw class after you have been cleared in phase one of the application, so that if you don't pass, you haven't lost that money.
Just call the main number and leave a message for him about your questions. He won't bite your head off, like some of the other counties representatives are reported to have done.
And just to let you know if you were wondering if many folks were applying here in liberal Santa Cruz, the receptionist said that she handed had out lots of applications in the past several days!

surfinguru
03-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Guess my coworker just got played. He droped off his app on Friday and was told to just drop off his app, no live Scan required, no monies to be paid and that the Sergeant would call him to schedule an interview. I guess he should've been more assertive and insisted on completing the Live Scan.

otteray
03-09-2014, 6:30 PM
He should simply go back when the livescan office open.

uspastime
04-16-2014, 12:27 AM
Just turned my app in today, now we'll start the clock. Lives an is $118.00, takes 15 minutes or so. 10' away is the window to submit my packet.

magicmojo
06-13-2014, 9:28 PM
Has anyone received a CCW in Santa Cruz yet?

otteray
06-14-2014, 1:27 PM
My understanding is that after receiving the livescan results, or maybe, after interviewing, (not sure which,) the 90 day clock for the required timely processing begins. We will hopefully know more this coming week, if the new policy here is announced, as some were informed. My info is second hand, btw.

magicmojo
06-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Has there been a new announcement of Santa Cruz's new CCW policy yet. I can't find anything.

otteray
06-21-2014, 7:33 AM
Here it is (http://www.iconstitution.us/SCSAS/CCWPolicyRev3.pdf)

Paladin
06-21-2014, 9:59 AM
Here it is (http://www.iconstitution.us/SCSAS/CCWPolicyRev3.pdf)

Note: Based on current law, the Sheriff does not consider self-defense or generalized personal safety concerns to constitute sufficient “good cause” for the issuance of a license. The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has issued a recent opinion to the contrary which would change current law if finalized in its current form (Peruta, et al., v. County of San Diego, et al.). However, because of a recent motion filed by the California Attorney General to intervene in that case, the Peruta decision is not yet final and is therefore not yet law. It is unclear at this point whether the Peruta opinion will be finalized in its current form or subject to further appeal. If and when the Peruta decision becomes final, the Sheriff will follow the law as the Sheriff understands it.

Well, at least they're upfront saying they're anti-CCW.... :rolleyes:

Actually, he's kind of deceptive in trying to make it seem like "current law" states that self-defense is insufficient Good Cause. The law allows any sheriff to accept self-defense as sufficient GC, just like they do RIGHT NOW in Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Fresno, Kern, Ventura, Orange, and MOST rural counties!

And I like how he requires that applicants get 2 licensed professionals to put in writing that they think the applicant should be allowed to bear arms (costing the applicant more time, money, and effort):

2. If directed: provide written evidence from a licensed physician that the applicant is not
currently suffering from any medical condition that would make the individual unsuitable
for carrying a concealed weapon. All costs paid by applicant.
3. Complete psychological testing, as directed, by an authorized psychologist used by the
Sheriff’s Office. The cost to the applicant may not exceed $150.00. (emphasis added)

Bottom line: Sheriff Wowak, like most urban sheriffs, is nothing more than "a politician w/a badge & a gun".... :puke:

mrboma
06-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Well, at least they're upfront saying they're anti-CCW.... :rolleyes:

Actually, he's kind of deceptive in trying to make it seem like "current law" states that self-defense is insufficient Good Cause. The law allows any sheriff to accept self-defense as sufficient GC, just like they do RIGHT NOW in Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Fresno, Kern, Ventura, Orange, and MOST rural counties!

And I like how he requires that applicants get 2 licensed professionals to put in writing that they think the applicant should be allowed to bear arms (costing the applicant more time, money, and effort):

(emphasis added)

Bottom line: Sheriff Hart, like most urban sheriffs, is nothing more than "a politician w/a gun and a badge".... :puke:

Just for clarity.
Regards,
Mike

Paladin
06-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Just for clarity.
Regards,
Mike
The new policy's .pdf has Wowak's name on the letterhead as does SCSO's website: http://scsheriff.com/

mrboma
06-21-2014, 10:23 AM
The new policy's .pdf has Wowak's name on the letterhead.

Considering the way Hart came into office and the fact that he is INDEED nothing more than a politician with a badge, I guess it doesn't matter what name is on the doc.

Thanks Paladin,
Mike

Paladin
06-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Considering the way Hart came into office and the fact that he is INDEED nothing more than a politician with a badge, I guess it doesn't matter what name is on the doc.

Thanks Paladin,
Mike
I just edited my reply to also mention that Wowack's name (and image) is on the SCSO's website.

Is Hart the next sheriff? If so, I don't think he takes office until 2015 January.

mrboma
06-21-2014, 10:31 AM
I just edited my reply to also mention that Wowack's name (and image) is on the SCSO's website.

Is Hart the next sheriff? If so, I don't think he takes office until 2015 January.

Yes, Hart won the election. It makes sense that he would not take office immediately. But as we can see from this latest policy release, nothing in Santa Cruz is going to change anytime soon.

Regards,
Mike

DanMedeiros
08-28-2014, 3:49 PM
Is there any current cal guns effort focused on changing the Santa Cruz County Policy? Happy to help if there is. Also is it worth applying now with self defense as GC with the hope that Peruta will still be finalized?

h0m3r2000
08-28-2014, 6:47 PM
Is there any current cal guns effort focused on changing the Santa Cruz County Policy? Happy to help if there is. Also is it worth applying now with self defense as GC with the hope that Peruta will still be finalized?
I also would like to know if Calguns Foundation or other have any plans for Santa Cruz county. I know a fair amount of people that would like to get a ccw in the county(me included). I would like to help if posibble.

mattsn0w
08-29-2014, 9:06 AM
CalGuns Foundation is aware. Not sure what they are planning on doing. They said they would send them a letter.

https://twitter.com/CalgunsFdn/statuses/494346101139333121

TLark
09-04-2014, 3:51 AM
To put things in perspective the Sheriff's Office does not even provide CCW's for its Sheriff's Correctional Officers ;) who deal with criminal's every hour of every shift. I wish you all luck and I'll be following your endeavors.

mattsn0w
09-05-2014, 8:48 AM
To put things in perspective the Sheriff's Office does not even provide CCW's for its Sheriff's Correctional Officers ;) who deal with criminal's every hour of every shift. I wish you all luck and I'll be following your endeavors.

That still doesn't make their actions against the public excusable.

TLark
09-05-2014, 7:27 PM
Completely agree^, but it shows your where they stand as far as CCW issuing. If they feel there own LE personnel aren't deserving of a CCW for viable threats to there safety then why would a public citizen be granted one. I really hope you guys make progress and change the views of the Sheriff/County. In turn hopefully it loosens the policies on its own personnel.

Paladin
11-15-2014, 8:43 AM
From the "CCW UPDATE" link on their homepage (http://scsheriff.com/):

CCW UPDATE

Members of the public wishing to obtain a CCW under the standards recently articulated by the Ninth Circuit in Peruta v. County of San Diego should be aware that the decision has not yet become final. Federal court rules prescribe a period of time which must elapse before the case is remanded to the District Court for further proceedings.

Applicants that seek a CCW permit under the self-defense standard set forth in Peruta will be processed in the order they are received should the decision of the Ninth Circuit become final. Once the decision becomes final, applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s Office with instructions on how to complete the process.

In order to accommodate, and expedite, the large numbers of anticipated applications, the Sheriff’s Office and County Counsel are currently revising the process for issuing CCW permits. (emphasis added)

I'll update the OP and the thread title now. :D

Grumpy_Hippie
09-11-2015, 9:04 PM
anything new

otteray
09-12-2015, 7:39 AM
anything new

Nope.
Peruta has to be resolved first.

Paladin
09-18-2015, 8:24 PM
From the "CCW UPDATE" link on their homepage (http://scsheriff.com/):

CCW UPDATE

Members of the public wishing to obtain a CCW under the standards recently articulated by the Ninth Circuit in Peruta v. County of San Diego should be aware that the decision has not yet become final. Federal court rules prescribe a period of time which must elapse before the case is remanded to the District Court for further proceedings.

Applicants that seek a CCW permit under the self-defense standard set forth in Peruta will be processed in the order they are received should the decision of the Ninth Circuit become final. Once the decision becomes final, applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s Office with instructions on how to complete the process.

In order to accommodate, and expedite, the large numbers of anticipated applications, the Sheriff’s Office and County Counsel are currently revising the process for issuing CCW permits. (emphasis added)

I'll update the OP and the thread title now. :D

I don't know when they changed it, but there is now a new "CCW UPDATE" linked on their homepage:

CCW UPDATE

Members of the public seeking to obtain a CCW permit under the standards articulated by the Ninth Circuit in Peruta v. County of San Diego should be aware that on March 26, 2015 the Ninth Circuit ordered that the Peruta case be re-heard by a larger panel of judges. At some point in the future, the Ninth Circuit will issue a new opinion addressing the issues discussed in the Peruta case. Until the Ninth Circuit issues a new opinion, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office will continue to review applications for CCW permits under the standards it utilized prior to issuance of the original Peruta decision.

Well, at least they're actively monitoring Peruta and revising things as it progresses.

mattsn0w
09-19-2015, 8:27 AM
I don't know when they changed it, but there is now a new "CCW UPDATE" linked on their homepage:

Well, at least they're actively monitoring Peruta and revising things as it progresses.

It has been there for almost a year.

http://i.imgur.com/zYGv90p.png

Paladin
09-19-2015, 9:40 AM
It has been there for almost a year.

http://i.imgur.com/zYGv90p.png
That was the 1st update (which, as you can see, I had added to the OP on 2014 Nov 15). I'm talking about the 2nd update, the one about Peruta being taken en banc which I added to the OP yesterday.