PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara

Gray Peterson
10-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Anyone who gets denied in Santa Barbara Co (either by a city's PD or by the Sheriff's Office), and wants to fight it should read the following quote from my ("Paladin") post in the Monterey Co thread. (There they accept SD as GC, but push the GMC requirement.) The 14th Amendment Equal Protection applies to ALL aspects of the application process, not just GC and GMC.

So, they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification.... :facepalm: :mad:

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

CCWFacts
10-19-2010, 11:12 PM
I only know a few things about Santa Barbara. One, Sheriff Brown got the NRA endorsement and then stabbed gun owners in the back by not issuing CCWs. Two, there are a lot of extremely wealthy people in Santa Barbara, including some uber-wealthy uber-powerful liberals, like Oprah. You stir that into the pot, you're bound to have some really ugly things in their files.

TBJ did some extensive research into the city of Santa Maria, and found some unbelievably wrong and bad things going on there. I've posted the entire case (http://old.californiaccw.org/files/mccloud-v-santa-maria/), including all the good cause statements.

No surprise, Chief Macagni runs it in a very corrupt way, to the point that dentists, who are SMPD donors (http://old.californiaccw.org/files/mccloud-v-santa-maria/santa-maria-police-council-board-of-directors.html), have good cause, while highly trained nuclear security guards, who are first responders at Diablo Canyon, and who have assault weapons as their duty weapons, but who are not SMPD donors, miraculously do not have good cause.

It's sad. It's stuff that should end Chief Macagni's career, but unfortunately, the prevailing mindset, at many levels, is that it's the chief's business and he can do as he pleases.

gtturborex
10-28-2010, 7:55 PM
Lets fix this. I guess I'm the only one who cares enough about this in SB to donate.

SB back to the top.

Milsurps
10-30-2010, 9:14 AM
Lets fix this. I guess I'm the only one who cares enough about this in SB to donate.

SB back to the top.

I'd like to, but how? I won't deal with the gpal n paypal scams ! :mad:

I've recently started automatic monthly donations to Calguns Foundation with bill pay because of a physical address.

Please advise.

Gray Peterson
10-30-2010, 10:39 AM
I'd like to, but how? I won't deal with the gpal n paypal scams ! :mad:

I've recently started automatic monthly donations to Calguns Foundation with bill pay because of a physical address.

Please advise.

You can donate via paper tool:

The Calguns Foundation
751 Laurel Street Suite 935
San Carlos, CA 94070-3113

Just make it clear that you're donating a sponsorship to a particular county and whether or not you want it anon or not.

gtturborex
10-30-2010, 5:23 PM
You can donate via paper tool:

The Calguns Foundation
751 Laurel Street Suite 935
San Carlos, CA 94070-3113

Just make it clear that you're donating a sponsorship to a particular county and whether or not you want it anon or not.

Thanks Gray!!!

mustang454
11-02-2010, 2:41 PM
Myself and a hand full of people i know have HAD a CCW here in Goleta for many years...for me it was 8 years. That all changed when Bill brown became sheriff here in Goleta,CA.
NRA indorsed Bill Brown, even when told many months ahead of time before the election that he is anti gun. NRA sent out a orange mailer to NRA membeers here in Santa Barbara county to vote for Bill Brown. ...see link.........http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2008/06/bill-brown-still-elitist-after-all.html ...............and............... http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2007/03/rated-sheriff-bill-brown-denying-ccw.html.

? Is calgun going to help get CCW,s back for people here in Goleta,CA that Brown denied renewals? If so i will contact people i know who had CCWs and ask for them to donate to the cause here in Goleta/Santa Barbara,CA.

mustang454
11-02-2010, 3:02 PM
A CCW requires a full set of prints? And do I remember something about requiring letters of references being illegal? So many hoops....and chances are you'd probably get denied anyway.

Been there done that all....passed all the requirements set forth for SB the first time i applied and got my CCW... this was a renewal (every two years )since first getting my CCW.Bill Brown is the problem....Two former sheriffs of Santa Barbara county issued and renewed my CCW ...no problem till Brown got in. Bill Brown is anti gun and was backed by NRA.

Gray Peterson
11-02-2010, 3:26 PM
Been there done that all....passed all the requirements set forth for SB the first time i applied and got my CCW... this was a renewal (every two years )since first getting my CCW.Bill Brown is the problem....Two former sheriffs of Santa Barbara county issued and renewed my CCW ...no problem till Brown got in. Bill Brown is anti gun and was backed by NRA.

Another Fairfax PVF screwup. He didn't get the endorsement again in 2010.

mustang454
11-02-2010, 7:05 PM
Another Fairfax PVF screwup. He didn't get the endorsement again in 2010.

No one ran against him.....personal i don't believe it was a screw up.

gtturborex
11-02-2010, 9:16 PM
? Is calgun going to help get CCW,s back for people here in Goleta,CA that Brown denied renewals? If so i will contact people i know who had CCWs and ask for them to donate to the cause here in Goleta/Santa Barbara,CA.

I believe this is the ultimate goal. Contact your friends and lets do this.

What was the reason given for the denial of your renewal if I may ask?

wildhawker
11-03-2010, 1:04 AM
Get your friends involved. The more information we have as to their good cause, moral character, etc., the better we can create strategy for that county.

mustang454
11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I believe this is the ultimate goal. Contact your friends and lets do this.

What was the reason given for the denial of your renewal if I may ask?

Bill Brown said that my reason is not a valid reason...funny my reason was valid the fist time i applied and got my CCW from the first sheriff and the second sherriff that won election and renewed no problem every time till now... .... and now the third one Bill Brown said reason is not valid. see link......http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2008/06/bill-brown-still-elitist-after-all.html

gtturborex
11-03-2010, 3:37 PM
Bill Brown said that my reason is not a valid reason...funny my reason was valid the fist time i applied and got my CCW from the first sheriff and the second sherriff that won election and renewed no problem every time till now... .... and now the third one Bill Brown said reason is not valid. see link......http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2008/06/bill-brown-still-elitist-after-all.html

Wow, it seems Bill Brown's reason for not renewing your CCW is the invalid reason. I hope Brown gets what he deserves, a swift kick in the ____, I mean a kick out the door.

gtturborex
11-24-2010, 6:55 PM
All this CCW talk is getting me excited!!! Any news or a time frame for Santa Barbara?

Thanks for all the hard work:D

wildhawker
11-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Santa Barbara good cause statements will be posted sometime around next (not this coming, but the following) weekend.

gtturborex
11-27-2010, 9:34 AM
Santa Barbara good cause statements will be posted sometime around next (not this coming, but the following) weekend.

Thanks for all your great work Brandon!!!

Barrelmon
11-29-2010, 1:54 PM
I am another Goleta Shooter that holds interest in this. BTT

P.W.
11-30-2010, 2:57 AM

Can't wait, keep up the great work!!!

P.W.
12-04-2010, 3:55 PM
A Letter sent to a local Newspaper "Independent" focused on the subject of Carrying via Open Carry and Concealed. I thought I'd post it as it pertains to our County.
http://www.independent.com/news/2010/nov/26/you-too-can-carry-gun/

Kid Stanislaus
12-04-2010, 6:54 PM
A Letter sent to a local Newspaper "Independent" focused on the subject of Carrying via Open Carry and Concealed. I thought I'd post it as it pertains to our County.
http://www.independent.com/news/2010/nov/26/you-too-can-carry-gun/

Nice work, PW.

P.W.
12-04-2010, 7:07 PM
Nice work, PW.

Just to clear this up, I am not the author of that letter. But I will take credit for posting it in this forum ;)

dantodd
12-06-2010, 2:11 AM
Good Cause statements are now Here (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/130-santa-barbara)

P.W.
12-06-2010, 3:04 AM
Thanks Gray, Wildhawker, dantodd, and the rest of the crew for getting the Good Cause Statements up and all the work you guys are doing.

From the looks of those Good Cause Statements for SB County, it seems all except for a few FFL holders and Business Owners being Issued/Renewing their CCWs Most of those applications being accepted are either current/former employee's of the Sheriffs Dept. and or Former LEOs. Can't wait to hear what the next steps are for furthering this initiative in this county :D.

choprzrul
12-06-2010, 6:36 AM
Read through them. There is one that opens kinda like "Good Cause: Personal Protection" and then starts a background section after that. It only takes 1 to set precedent under equal protection.

Fjold
12-06-2010, 6:43 AM
For you guys in Lompoc; new city council members are coming into office and I've just informed some of them of how the Police Chief can issue CCWs in spite of Brown's opinions. There might be a change going on there.

gtturborex
12-06-2010, 6:54 AM
For you guys in Lompoc; new city council members are coming into office and I've just informed some of them of how the Police Chief can issue CCWs in spite of Brown's opinions. There might be a change going on there.

Did you talk to Dirk by chance? He's a very cool guy and I am glad he got on to city council.

wildhawker
12-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Read through them. There is one that opens kinda like "Good Cause: Personal Protection" and then starts a background section after that. It only takes 1 to set precedent under equal protection.

EP cases are not the slam dunk they are sometimes made out to be. Facts must be very clear in order for them to have any real utility. They are also expensive.

Accordingly, any EP challenges must be carefully considered and appropriately supported.

gtturborex
12-06-2010, 2:32 PM
All the 76 pages seem to be from either LEOs or FFLs. What if we don't have any of those backrounds?

Also page 43 the applicant states he would like the permit for protection of his property. I thought we aren't able to protect property only life?

mustang454
12-06-2010, 5:31 PM
I know one FFL holder who kept his CCW here in Goleta/Santa Barbara ca.when Sheriff Bill Brown got elected BUT with sever restrictions on his CCW. No restrictions on CCW's before Brown got elected......

All the 76 pages seem to be from either LEOs or FFLs. What if we don't have any of those backrounds?

Also page 43 the applicant states he would like the permit for protection of his property. I thought we aren't able to protect property only life?

choprzrul
12-06-2010, 6:03 PM
Page 19:

Cause for need of CCW Permit is simply: PERSONAL PROTECTION

What am I missing? None of us can leave our houses without being in close proximity to thugs at some point. We need CCW for personal protection.

wildhawker
12-06-2010, 6:52 PM
Hang tight in SB.

gtturborex
12-07-2010, 6:47 AM
I know one FFL holder who kept his CCW here in Goleta/Santa Barbara ca.when Sheriff Bill Brown got elected BUT with sever restrictions on his CCW. No restrictions on CCW's before Brown got elected......

With a lot of restrictions. To, during, and from work only? Isn't this overly restrictive for a right?

gtturborex
12-07-2010, 6:48 AM
Hang tight in SB.

Thanks again Brandon. Holding tight here...

Fjold
12-07-2010, 7:11 AM
Did you talk to Dirk by chance? He's a very cool guy and I am glad he got on to city council.

Dirk is one of my best friends. Ask him about our hunting trip to Wyoming.

dswenk
12-30-2010, 10:55 AM
I recently requested information on getting a CCW in Santa Barbara county, here is the reply I got. Sheriff Brown is not a friend to the 2nd Amendment and his policy is not to issue CCWs.

Mr. Swenk,
This is some information I sent to another person inquiring about the issuance of CCW's in Santa Barbara County. It should answer most of your questions. Feel free to contact me with any questions and I will be your point of contact should you decide to apply for the CCW. - Craig

Thank you for taking the time to contact our agency. Sheriff Brown takes the issuance of concealed carry (CCW) permits very seriously. Sheriff Brown personally reviews and evaluates each CCW application. Sheriff Brown supports the 2nd amendment to the United States Constitution (Right to bear arms). However, there are three levels of law that come into play in this subject matter; federal, state and local law. The current federal interpretation of the second amendment pertains to firearms ownership and leaves "carry" laws to the individual states. The State of California has two laws that prohibit generalized concealed and/ or loaded carry of a firearm.
Section 12025 of the California Penal code - Makes it unlawful to possess a concealed firearm on your person and/ or in your vehicle.
Section 12031 of the California Penal code - Makes it unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on one’s person or in a vehicle while in any public place, on any public street, or in any place where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm. OF NOTE: This does not apply when you are at your residence and/ or within your place of business (if owner or with permission of owner).
Unless a specific exemption is present (for example the possession of a CCW permit, or while participating in target shooting activities at an established shooting range) both 12025 and 12031 apply.

----------

Which brings us to the subject of the issuance of concealed carry (CCW) permits. Section 12050 of the California Penal Code (State Law) addresses the issuance of CCW permits. Section 12050 PC indicates the county sheriff "MAY" issue a CCW if the applicant is of "good moral character" AND shows "good cause" exists for the issuance of the permit. I have highlighted "may" and "good cause" to bring your attention to them, as they are limiting factors in the issuance of concealed carry permits in the State of California.

Other states have "SHALL" issue laws relating to the issuance of concealed carry permits (example: Florida), but that is not the case in California. California Law requires that CCW applicants show "good cause" exists for the issuance of a CCW permit. Furthermore, California Law leaves the ultimate decision of CCW issuance to each individual Sheriff ("May" issue). As result of this decision making "ability", the county sheriff (both as an individual and their department as a whole) incurs potential civil liability for each and every concealed carry permit they issue.

To that end:
As a general rule, Sheriff Brown (and most other Sheriff's in California) only issues CCW permits under the following circumstances:
The applicant's job, or business requires that he/ she have the ability to possess a loaded and concealed firearm, or otherwise poses a threat to society as a whole if the applicant does not have this ability. Examples of this are be private investigators and licensed firearms dealers.
The applicant is in present and credible danger to their life or the lives of their family members.
Although these are the two circumstances in which it is likely Sheriff Brown would issue a CCW, any person not specifically prohibited from doing so may submit a CCW application for Sheriff Brown's review. Any such application should be forwarded to me. Upon receipt, I will present the application and supporting materials to Sheriff Brown for his review.

I am including several resources and documents for your review/ consideration. These include the standard DOJ CCW application and information relating to the SBSO policy and procedures relating to CCW's. I am also including hyperlinks to the CA DOJ website and to the NRA website, both of which contain a great deal of information relating to this subject.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact me directly via email, or by telephone. - Craig
Sergeant Craig Bonner
Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department
Office of Professional Standards
(805) 681-4292

GrizzlyGuy
12-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Quoting from the reply:

Sheriff Brown supports the 2nd amendment to the United States Constitution (Right to bear arms).

This shows once again why such a statement is meaningless. Obviously this isn't true.

As result of this decision making "ability", the county sheriff (both as an individual and their department as a whole) incurs potential civil liability for each and every concealed carry permit they issue.

Are they not aware of Section 6 in the standard application?:

Section 6 – Agreement to Restrictions and to Hold Harmless

I accept and assume all responsibility and liability for, injury to, or death of any person, or damage to any property which may result through any act or omission of either the licensee or the agency that issued the license. In the event any claim, suit or action is brought against the agency that issued the license, its chief officer or any of its employees, by reason of, or in connection with any such act or omission, the licensee shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the agency that issued the license, its chief officer or any of its employees from such claim, suit, or action...

Seems to me that their most significant civil liability comes from continuing to inhibit civil rights by pursuing their hardly-ever-issue policy. :rolleyes:

Queue bwiese: 'when you absolutely-positively need to sue every *** in the room' :43:

gtturborex
12-30-2010, 12:58 PM
It is not like we are asking for sharks with "laser" beams attached to their heads.

All we want is our god given "rights"

Sounds like this county may be a little tougher than thought.

Only two weeks right?:D

gpsmatt
12-30-2010, 1:15 PM
Glad to see this I will be donating.

jordan
12-30-2010, 1:26 PM
yes, very glad to see some progress in our county finally.

I will be making a contribution as well. lets take some action on this.

gtturborex
12-30-2010, 1:34 PM
jordan
yes, very glad to see some progress in our county finally.

I will be making a contribution as well. lets take some action on this.

Glad to see this I will be donating.

Awesome guys. Here is the sponsorship page if you haven't seen it yet

http://www.cgfstore.org/product/carry-license-reform-sunshine-initiative-credited-county-sponsorship

Ford8N
12-30-2010, 3:12 PM
Reading some the good cause statements, a lot seem pretty lame. Yea, we all have pissed somebody off, walked past really bad people in dark mall parking lots, are neighbors to some scum bags and live, work and travel in really bad areas. We all carry large amounts of cash and guns, sometimes more than gun dealers(FFL's)! The line is to arbitrary as to what is a threat. I can find some poor soul living in a crappy area of Santa Maria who deserves a CCW more than some pilot or retired cop living in a gated community in Santa Barbara. :mad:

gtturborex
12-30-2010, 3:18 PM
Reading some the good cause statements, a lot seem pretty lame. Yea, we all have pissed somebody off, walked past really bad people in dark mall parking lots, are neighbors to some scum bags and live, work and travel in really bad areas. We all carry large amounts of cash and guns, sometimes more than gun dealers(FFL's)! The line is to arbitrary as to what is a threat. I can find some poor soul living in a crappy area of Santa Maria who deserves a CCW more than some pilot or retired cop living in a gated community in Santa Barbara. :mad:

Exactly the reason we all should have them;)

edog11
12-30-2010, 8:54 PM

Yeah Im on one the poor souls living in the crappy area of Santa Maria.

Killface
01-02-2011, 5:25 PM
Just browsed a few of the good cause statements. Noticed that page 7 or so was a judge who stated the need was due to threats made on other judges. I work in an unpopular field as well (animal research at the university) and several of my collaborators have received repeated death threats, including homes and a vehicle set on fire. Haven't applied, but I'm guessing the threats toward us aren't going to be viewed quite equally as those toward judges within the system...

Ford8N
01-03-2011, 4:49 AM
Just browsed a few of the good cause statements. Noticed that page 7 or so was a judge who stated the need was due to threats made on other judges. I work in an unpopular field as well (animal research at the university) and several of my collaborators have received repeated death threats, including homes and a vehicle set on fire. Haven't applied, but I'm guessing the threats toward us aren't going to be viewed quite equally as those toward judges within the system...

The Sheriff will tell you to quit that job or call 911.

jordan
01-03-2011, 3:46 PM
Reading the SB good cause statements is pretty depressing. I feel like I don't have a chance in the world.

CCWFacts
01-03-2011, 5:44 PM
I read through all of them.

Some of them, like CCWs going to judges, are universal throughout CA.

They also issue to PI, especially casino investigators.

I didn't notice any doctors, lawyers or jewelers, which seem like typical categories in some other places, although I was skimming.

There are a few from people connected to the department, like reserves and so on.

The one thing that stands out is the best way to get a CCW in SB is to become a pilot and join the Aero Squandron. From the number of Aero Squad CCWs in there, it seems like they must all have them. Not too surprising.

It also seems like the Aero Squad is quite big. They seem to have plenty of volunteer pilots, probably more than they really need.

I didn't see any CCWs in there that stand out as "I want a CCW because I'm ultra-rich". Although many rich people do have pilots licenses, so maybe there are some billionaire-CCWs among the aero squad. We would need to see the names to know if that's what's going on. They do seem to have a lot of pilots on call there. Maybe aero squad is the new sheriff's mounted posse?

choprzrul
01-03-2011, 6:09 PM
Has the number of CCW issued/renewed reconcile with the number of GC statements received by CGF? Are they holding back the ones that would be truly useful?

gtturborex
01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Has the number of CCW issued/renewed reconcile with the number of GC statements received by CGF? Are they holding back the ones that would be truly useful?

We are on hold in SB County so maybe they are looking into it a bit more.

jordan
02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
any updates on our poor little county?

Ledbetter
02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Do all the aerosquadron members have pilots' licenses?

gtturborex
03-03-2011, 5:54 PM
any updates on our poor little county?

Maybe another 2 weeks?

gtturborex
03-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Maybe another 2 weeks?

2 more weeks? I'm getting anxious here:D

jordan
04-14-2011, 10:46 AM
shameless bump for SB County!

2 more weeks?

edlegault
04-18-2011, 4:44 PM
Any news on Santa Barbara county? If calguns needs a volunteer to try a non-retired leo, non-pilot, non-judge CCW, someone from calguns pm me. I have a perfectly clean record, veteran, and a couple of occupations that in any other state or most counties in calif would help justify a CCW for need.

(BTW, I remember years ago when I turned 21 in Washington state, I walked into the local sheriff's office, filled out the paper work, paid the small fee... and walked out with CCW in my wallet.)

gtturborex
05-26-2011, 6:50 AM
Any news???

Ledbetter
06-02-2011, 3:14 PM
I'll ask again. Are we sure that "Aero Squadron Volunteer" is not just another term for "Campaign Contributor?" It's not like the Sheriff has a whole bunch of aircraft that need flying every day.

Ford8N
06-02-2011, 5:40 PM
I'll ask again. Are we sure that "Aero Squadron Volunteer" is not just another term for "Campaign Contributor?" It's not like the Sheriff has a whole bunch of aircraft that need flying every day.

It doesn't matter, the Sheriff will do what he damn well pleases. Just the way it is.

gtturborex
06-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Hopes dwindling...:(

CCWFacts
06-10-2011, 5:56 PM

I'm pretty sure that that is what's going on. Many rich people do have pilot's licenses and so can nominally qualify for aero squadron volunteer. In previous times, rich people had horses and so there was a mounted posse. Today, rich people have pilots licenses, so there's an aero squadron. Same idea.

I'm sure there is some benefit to SBSO in terms of cost savings to having so many pilots available all the time, but aero squadron is basically a rich person's club.

ckprax
06-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Any hope that SB will get sued into submission in the near future? My gut tells me we will have to wait for a carry case to win in the SC. I hope I am wrong and the no issue counties will follow in sacs footsteps.

jordan
07-26-2011, 9:27 AM
In the meantime I have gotten my Arizona and Nevada non resident CCWs for when I travel. Would be nice if Santa Barbara got with the times....

edlegault
08-05-2011, 1:04 PM
Any more news on Santa Barbara County Good Cause Statements? In the list posted here there is a note towards the end that 2010 year's statements are coming soon... with not much more after that. Any updates for 2010/2011 GC statements? Thanks.

titus75
08-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Is there anyone here who actually has a ccw in Santa Barbara county?

ckprax
08-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Is there anyone here who actually has a ccw in Santa Barbara county?

There are a handful of people, mostly FFl's and pilots. Read through the good cause statements, it will definitely get your blood boiling. Currently us peasants do not stand a chance.

There is rumor that the city of Lompoc is going shall issue...

Ford8N
08-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Really, wth does being a pilot have to do with good cause to get a LTC??

Other than being wealthy enough to fly a plane.

Sub95
09-12-2011, 1:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that that is what's going on. Many rich people do have pilot's licenses and so can nominally qualify for aero squadron volunteer. In previous times, rich people had horses and so there was a mounted posse. Today, rich people have pilots licenses, so there's an aero squadron. Same idea.

I'm sure there is some benefit to SBSO in terms of cost savings to having so many pilots available all the time, but aero squadron is basically a rich person's club.

http://www.sbsheriff.us/documents/AeroSquadron.pdf

jordan
09-26-2011, 2:32 PM
yep, that about sums it up. miserable. I wish there was something more we could do besides donate and wait.

P.W.
11-22-2011, 2:07 AM
Any Progress made on our end with the county ?

Jaxers
12-22-2011, 5:10 PM
Any news/progress on this or are we all just reserved to the Sheriffs opinion. Where is the law suit on behalf of our rights in this freaking county. And can a council member also authorize a CWP?

Purple K
12-22-2011, 7:35 PM
PC12050-12054 covers carry permits. It specifically says the Sheriff or Chief or other Head of a Municipal Police Department (ie City Manager if there's no Chief).

Which Way Out
12-22-2011, 8:15 PM
As the barrel turns.:mad:

gtturborex
02-14-2012, 7:27 AM
As the barrel turns.:mad:

Feels like our barrel stopped unfortunately:(

jordan
04-27-2012, 11:01 AM
...and here we are in 2012, still no love for our forsaken liberal filled county. :(

MicroDOC
07-05-2012, 2:51 PM
It just doesn't seem to make sense that many of us who have spent years protecting our country as law enforcement officers or military officers sworn to protect life and country are all of a sudden not trustworthy gun owners. You'd think these are just the type people that should be trusted with weapons. Not the rich and famous...

Dakine_surf
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
It just doesn't seem to make sense that many of us who have spent years protecting our country as law enforcement officers or military officers sworn to protect life and country are all of a sudden not trustworthy gun owners. You'd think these are just the type people that should be trusted with weapons. Not the rich and famous...

Please dont take this the wrong way, I am one of the people looking forward to getting a LTC as soon as I can, but the issue of permits is not a rich and famous thing here in SB.

The reality is that permits are issued to those individuals who are connected to the SO. Reservists, SAR, and Aero Squad. A few Judges, and just about anyone connected to the Chumash Casino.

Rich and Famous would still get you a denial for the most part, unless you happen to be a rich pilot with your own plane, then Aero Squad for you... granted you still have to take the POLY, background investigation, etc. But the Aero Squadron is no joke, the time commitment is huge. It is also not just a rich mans club... it is full of a lot of retired cops and military guys.

Our best bet right now would be a suit filed against the county with enough backing to make them not want to fight it monetarily. The County is Broke!!!

redfox435cat
05-30-2013, 7:53 PM
Has there been any progress on thee sb ccw issue.

I've been curiouse as to how to get a ccw for some time. I thought I'd chime in. I have a pilots license and know most of the guys on the aerosquadron. I don't qualify since they require over 1200 hours, I have some years to go for that. The misconception that its a buch of rich guys isn't true but I get the perception. 90% of us are middle class working stiffs, I can only afford a third of a 30k plane :)
From dealing with the aerosquadron guys, they have ccw's because they are basicaly deputised as members and participate in trainning with the sherifs department, in other words, their close proximity with law enforcment is getting them the inside track.. They all either have a pilots licence or a higher level ham license.
I dought I'd be able to get a ccw even though I work graves right across the river from the prison and have had a couple vehicals stolen by prisoners from our facility, but its a city facility and were not allowed wepons at work:rolleyes:

Hoshnasi
06-23-2013, 8:27 PM
It looks like the link in OP is broken. How do I find out any info on SB?

Thanks!

WellArmedSurfer
07-12-2013, 11:00 PM
There are a handful of people, mostly FFl's and pilots. Read through the good cause statements, it will definitely get your blood boiling. Currently us peasants do not stand a chance.

There is rumor that the city of Lompoc is going shall issue...

I recently did work for a doctor/surgeon office where multiple people had CCW.

So pathetic.

Californio
07-13-2013, 4:42 PM
New article on a SBA rag on how tough the Sheriff is, or dishonest.

Ender SB
10-03-2013, 6:58 PM
The link to the Santa Barbara good cause statements is broken. Does anyone have these saved as a file they can share?

Ender SB
10-03-2013, 7:04 PM
A female officer is looking to unseat the wretched Sheriff Bill Brown. It would do to find out her feelings about issuing CCW permits before the elections next year.

Although, it could be argued that even a baked potato would be more likely to approve permits that Bill Brown.

P.W.
11-17-2013, 3:16 AM
Sgt. Sandra Brown of the SBSO is going to be running against Bill Brown next year for Sheriff. I haven't contacted her regarding her stance on the 2A & LTCs but will do so very soon. I'm just glad Bill Brown will not run unopposed this next election.

Here is here Campaign Website if you wish to contact her
http://sandraforsheriff.com/

mikefranco805
01-10-2014, 9:55 AM
Hello everyone I felt that I needed a answer on the whole ccw permit in Santa Barbara county so I went ahead and sent Sandra Brown a email regarding the issue here is what I wrote

I would like to know Sandra Brown's view on permitting citizens of Santa Barbara County CCW permits? I myself am a long time member of the NRA and CAL Guns as well as many other gun organizations in the state of California. I know in the past that Sheriff Bill Brown had gotten a A plus rating from the NRA and used it to his advantage to win the election by lying to legal gun owners and the NRA. I'm not the only one in Santa Barbara county worried about this topic as I have read in many Calgun forums online. There is a increasing danger out there for the average person, people getting stabbed, mugged and or killed. We can't always rely on Law Enforcement to respond in time as they can't always be there at our sides. I myself have a family and worry about there safety on a daily bases. I do own firearms and keep them locked when not being used and have one for home defense, but what about public defense? Look at the city of Chicago they are ranked as one of the most dangerous places to live in the United States and they have just recently allowed legal and responsible gun owners to get CCW permits. There are proven facts that places were citizens are allowed to have CCW'S crime is lower, makes you kind of think why cause bad guys support gun bans to law abiding citizens. CCW permits shouldn't just be for the elite and big campaign donors, They should be for those who are responsible and legal gun owners. I live in the city of Santa Barbara on the upper west side of town I found out a few weeks ago that my neighbor has been charged with 3 counts of rape and I have known him for many years and it scares me cause I have 2 daughters of my own. Crimes are on the rise in Santa Barbara county everything from drugs to homicides. I love Santa Barbara county and have lived here for almost 30 years. This is my question and many others want to know the same as me. What is Sandra Brown's view and will she support Legal gun owners CCW permits?

Sosoomi
01-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Tag...

I'd like to know as well!

Paladin
01-13-2014, 1:03 AM
Hello everyone I felt that I needed a answer on the whole ccw permit in Santa Barbara county so I went ahead and sent Sandra Brown a email regarding the issue here is what I wrote

I would like to know Sandra Brown's view on permitting citizens of Santa Barbara County CCW permits? I myself am a long time member of the NRA and CAL Guns as well as many other gun organizations in the state of California. I know in the past that Sheriff Bill Brown had gotten a A plus rating from the NRA and used it to his advantage to win the election by lying to legal gun owners and the NRA. I'm not the only one in Santa Barbara county worried about this topic as I have read in many Calgun forums online. There is a increasing danger out there for the average person, people getting stabbed, mugged and or killed. We can't always rely on Law Enforcement to respond in time as they can't always be there at our sides. I myself have a family and worry about there safety on a daily bases. I do own firearms and keep them locked when not being used and have one for home defense, but what about public defense? Look at the city of Chicago they are ranked as one of the most dangerous places to live in the United States and they have just recently allowed legal and responsible gun owners to get CCW permits. There are proven facts that places were citizens are allowed to have CCW'S crime is lower, makes you kind of think why cause bad guys support gun bans to law abiding citizens. CCW permits shouldn't just be for the elite and big campaign donors, They should be for those who are responsible and legal gun owners. I live in the city of Santa Barbara on the upper west side of town I found out a few weeks ago that my neighbor has been charged with 3 counts of rape and I have known him for many years and it scares me cause I have 2 daughters of my own. Crimes are on the rise in Santa Barbara county everything from drugs to homicides. I love Santa Barbara county and have lived here for almost 30 years. This is my question and many others want to know the same as me. What is Sandra Brown's view and will she support Legal gun owners CCW permits?
A discussion re. sheriff's candidate Sandra Brown has started in the CA Political Activism forum. Plz add your info and her reply there.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=878409

chango17
02-15-2014, 5:43 PM
Anyone have a PDF for SB county paperwork??

Rally Dave
02-22-2014, 2:39 PM
I live within the city limits of Goleta and I just emailed the Chief of Police what the application process is. I referenced the Peruta case in my email.....I am curious to see what happens.

Caiden07
02-22-2014, 3:05 PM
I live within the city limits of Goleta and I just emailed the Chief of Police what the application process is. I referenced the Peruta case in my email.....I am curious to see what happens.

Please update us if you get a response, I called my local PD and the lady on the phone don't know what going on and suggested to email the question to the chief of police.

Rally Dave
02-25-2014, 1:28 PM
OK, I got a response to my email today. Here it is:

As many of you already know, the Ninth Circuit Court has recently held in a 2-1 decision that the "good cause" portion of the California CCW law is unconstitutional. As of this writing (2-14-14), this area of the law is unsettled and appeals are possible. Obviously, when this is totally resolved, Sheriff Brown will update our department policies and procedures to and the information attached to this email may be substantially different. To that end, I wanted to send you the information as it stands today so you are aware of the process we presently have in place. Please feel free to contact me by telephone or email if you have additional questions. --Sgt. McCammon

--- Original Message ---

Thank you for taking the time to contact our agency. Sheriff Brown takes the issuance of concealed carry (CCW) licensing very seriously. Sheriff Brown personally reviews and evaluates each CCW application. Sheriff Brown supports the 2nd amendment to the United States Constitution (Right to Keep and Bear Arms). However, there are three levels of law that come into play in this subject matter; federal, state and local law. The current federal interpretation of the second amendment pertains to firearms ownership and leaves "carry" laws up to the individual states. The State of California has three laws that prohibit generalized, concealed and/ or loaded carry of a firearm, unless one of the exemptions specified within the law is present.
* Section 26350 of the California Penal code - Makes it unlawful to openly carry an unloaded handgun on your person and/ or in your vehicle.
* Section 25400 of the California Penal code - Makes it unlawful to possess a concealed firearm on your person and/ or in your vehicle.
* Section 25850 of the California Penal code - Makes it unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on one's person or in a vehicle while in any public place, on any public street, or in any place where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm.
Unless a specific exemption is present the above noted laws are applicable. Examples of such exemptions include but are not limited to; the possession of a CCW permit or while participating in target shooting activities at an established shooting range. For a detailed list of exemptions, please refer to the California Penal code and/ or seek the advice of a competent lawyer.

----------

This brings us to the subject of the issuance of concealed carry (CCW) permits: Section 26150 through 26225 of the California Penal Code (State Law) addresses the issuance of CCW permits. Section 26150 PC indicates the county sheriff "may" issue a CCW if the applicant is of "good moral character" AND shows "good cause" exists for the issuance of the permit. I have highlighted "may", "good moral character" and "good cause" to bring your attention to them, as they are generally the limiting factors in the issuance of concealed carry permits in the State of California.

Many other states have "shall" issue laws relating to the issuance of concealed carry permits (examples: Colorado, Utah and Florida), but that is not the case in California. California law requires that CCW applicants establish they are of "good moral character" and show "good cause" exists for the issuance of a CCW license. Furthermore, California law leaves the ultimate decision of CCW issuance to each individual Sheriff ("may" issue). As result of this decision making "ability", Sheriff Brown incurs potential liability for each concealed carry license he issues.

To that end:
Sheriff Brown only issues CCW permits when the applicant is able to clearly show Sheriff Brown that they are of "good moral character" and that "good cause" is present, requiring the issuance of a concealed weapons license. In general, Sheriff Brown finds "good cause" to be present under the following circumstances:
1. Vocational need: The applicant's job, or business requires that he/ she have the ability to possess a loaded and concealed firearm, or otherwise poses a threat to society as a whole if the applicant does not have this ability. Examples of this include, but are not limited to private investigators and licensed firearms dealers.
2. The applicant is experiencing a present and credible danger to their life or the lives of their family members.
Although these are the two general circumstances in which it is likely Sheriff Brown would issue a CCW, any person wishing to do so, may submit a CCW application for Sheriff Brown's review, following the application process outlined within the attached instructions document. As required by law, the Sheriff's Office only accepts the standardized DOJ CCW application form that is attached to this email. Please carefully read and follow the instructions document included within this email, as it is important that you follow our procedures when submitting the application. Once the application is received, it and any other supporting materials you decide to submit will be provided to Sheriff Brown for his review.

I am including several resources and documents for your consideration. These include the standard DOJ CCW application and information relating to the SBSO policy and procedures relating to CCW licenses. I am also including hyperlinks to the CA DOJ website and to the NRA website, both of which contain a great deal of information relating to this subject.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact me directly via email, or by telephone.

WellArmedSurfer
07-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Any updates in SB County?

Edgy01
08-26-2014, 12:59 PM
I have applied for a permit in Santa Barbara despite Sheriff Brown still holding office and the pending outcome of the Peruta case.

Although I have as clean a record as the Pope, I would expect it to be rejected for the sheriff's arbitrary and capricious position on what is a 'good cause.' I will keep the forum updated as I slowly am trundled through the 'system' that the local sheriff continues to expose us to despite his overwhelming position that only guns shall be found on his deputies, and no one else (essentially turning Santa Barbara county into a gun-free area--aside from those CCW carriers from other counties who happen to be visiting in SB county).

I have submitted the requisite paperwork, to include references (which the sheriff asked for) and had my date with the LiveScan machine on 21 Aug 2014. They are awaiting the 'all clear' from Justice and the FBI.

Dan

Edgy01
08-27-2014, 12:34 AM
With respect to Sandra Brown running against Sheriff Bill Brown in the last election:

Despite an increase in homicides just before the election, Sheriff Bill Brown easily won reelection. Whether the Peruta decision will ultimately change the way Brown thinks is anyone's guess. Brown also wants the public to think that he would be held personally responsible if he issues a LTC and that person later has a gun infraction. (As we all know, this is patently false, but it is his written philosophy).

Dan

Paladin
06-22-2015, 6:27 PM
Looks like there's still nothing on the Santa Barbara Co SO's website re. CCWs:
http://www.sbsheriff.org/