PDA

View Full Version : San Luis Obispo

Pages : [1] 2

Gray Peterson
10-14-2010, 10:57 PM
SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
POLICY REGARDING ISSUANCE OF LICENSE FOR CONCEALED FIREARM

POLICY STATEMENT

This order establishes the policy and sets guidelines for accepting applications to carry a concealed pistol, revolver, or other firearm, and the issuance of an authorizing license.

A Concealed Weapon License shall not be granted merely for the personal convenience of the applicant. A position or job classification in itself should not constitute good cause for the issuance or denial of a license. Each application shall be individually reviewed for cause.

ISSUANCE OF LICENSES FOR CONCEALED FIREARM(S)

In accordance with Penal Code Sections 26150 and 26155, the Sheriff of San Luis Obispo County, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying satisfies the below listed criteria and has completed a specified course of training as identified in this application, may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

CRITERIA

Applicant is a resident within the county or a city within this county, or applicant spends a substantial period of time in the applicant’s principal place of employment or business in the County of San Luis Obispo or a city within this county.

APPLICATION REQUESTS

Any person may obtain a Concealed Weapon License Application from the Permit Office Clerk. Note: Applications will not be accepted unless complete and legible.

Each new applicant must demonstrate proof of residence by some type of recognized identification card or driver’s license, and at least one canceled item of current mail (with your name and street address). New applicants are requested to provide at least 3 signed letters of character reference from individuals other than relatives.

If the CCW license is desired for self-protection, the protection of others, or for the protection of large sums of money or valuable property, you are required to explain and provide good cause pursuant to Penal Code Section 26150 for issuance of the license. For example, has your life or property been threatened or jeopardized? Explain incidents and include dates, times, locations, and names of police agencies to which these incidents were reported.

From: San Luis Obispo County CCW Policy .pdf linked at: http://slosheriff.org/forms_and_applications.php

Anyone who gets denied in San Luis Obispo Co (either by a city's PD or by the Sheriff's Office), and wants to fight it should read the following quote from my ("Paladin") post in the Monterey Co thread. (There they accept SD as GC, but push the GMC requirement.) The 14th Amendment Equal Protection applies to ALL aspects of the application process, not just GC and GMC.

So, they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification.... :facepalm: :mad:

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

choprzrul
10-18-2010, 6:24 PM
I'm a SLO county resident, Grover Beach in particular. What is it that you need me to do?

**EDIT**

SLO county pdf for CCW applicants: http://slosheriff.org/_FAQ/documents/CCW_Internet.pdf

cosmos7
10-18-2010, 10:01 PM
As someone who has applied previously and denied for cause despite holding CCW in several other states, I will be very interested to see what good cause statements have been accepted.

I did a PRAR request myself a couple years back after the denial trying to learn what statements had been accepted. Despite the request specifically limiting to copies of the cause statements, they still wanted about two grand in copy costs to cough them up... just couldn't go any further after that, which was likely the point.

choprzrul
10-20-2010, 7:39 AM
Can we develop a standardized CCW policy, that fulfills the requirements of the law, that we can provide to the newly elected sheriffs?

This would provide cover for a sheriff when challenged on his CCW policy; "we are using a standard CCW policy that has been accepted around the state and follows CA state law".

Perhaps those new sheriffs would be open to assistance going through GC statements to 'help' them stay out of legal trouble. Shoot, why not have CGN members seek employment with a department to administer the CCW program?

Time to be proactive in developing policy and procedure.

obeygiant
10-20-2010, 8:45 PM
Can we develop a standardized CCW policy, that fulfills the requirements of the law, that we can provide to the newly elected sheriffs?

This would provide cover for a sheriff when challenged on his CCW policy; "we are using a standard CCW policy that has been accepted around the state and follows CA state law".

Perhaps those new sheriffs would be open to assistance going through GC statements to 'help' them stay out of legal trouble. Shoot, why not have CGN members seek employment with a department to administer the CCW program?

Time to be proactive in developing policy and procedure.

This is already underway.

furyous68
11-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Hello everybody! Getting ready to apply in SLO. I have a question though.. reading through the information on Gray's link above, I saw that the ONLY "good cause" was if being threatened.. i.e. a stalker, death threats, etc. Is this the current guideline?

AJAX22
11-08-2010, 12:57 PM
My understanding is that SLO allows pretty much anything that is well written and articulate as good cause.

I had a friend with a CCW in slo, IIRC he just had a nice letter that said that he would like to have the means to defend his life and the lives of his family should the need arise (or something to that effect).

wildhawker
11-08-2010, 1:50 PM
Anecdotal evidence suggests SLO swung into dark red territory.

furyous68
11-08-2010, 4:39 PM
sorry... forgive me, but what does that mean?

wildhawker
11-08-2010, 6:42 PM
It means that SLO is (at least currently) unfriendly to 2A/CCW.

furyous68
11-09-2010, 9:44 AM
gotcha! I was taking "red" territory as Republican or gun friendly... which confused me! lol

patsline74
11-09-2010, 4:59 PM
It means that SLO is (at least currently) unfriendly to 2A/CCW.

I'm sure you get tired of hearing this, but can you guys please sue my county next? :43:

choprzrul
11-15-2010, 3:40 PM
Hat tip to Mr. Combs, in the news: http://kccn.tv/gunpermit.cfm

It begins...

By Daniel Blackburn

Incoming San Luis Obispo County sheriff Ian Parkinson will encounter one additional headache when he takes office in January: A powerful California gun advocacy group plans a major campaign to make firearm carrying permits easily obtainable to all “law abiding Californians.”....

OCM (observing copywrite material), see link for full text.

AJAX22
11-15-2010, 3:43 PM
heheh, "a Powerful California Gun Advocacy Group"

I like it.

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

ontarget87
11-20-2010, 8:52 AM
So I am thinking about applying for a SLO county CCW, but before I waste the time and money.... Does anybody have any recent experiences with the new sherriff (Parkinson) that would be helpful?

dantodd
11-20-2010, 7:39 PM
Volunteer in the "call for volunteers" thread in the main 2A forum. When the time is right you will get an email on how to proceed. There will also likely be a thread here when we request activity in a particular county.

robert68
11-21-2010, 12:12 AM
So I am thinking about applying for a SLO county CCW, but before I waste the time and money.... Does anybody have any recent experiences with the new sherriff (Parkinson) that would be helpful?

i'm in the same boat... no experience with the sheriff but can't be any worse than the last one... I hope. I wasn't thinking about CCW during the election, but wish i'd at least looked into it. I voted against the other guy because of the persistent rumours of fraud/corruption. And that Parkinson was at least endorsed by the local bible store owner.

Any thoughts/news on UOC here in SLO county? i have a little girl to protect, and parks full of dog owners who ignore the leash laws.

dantodd
11-21-2010, 1:33 AM

i'm in the same boat... no experience with the sheriff but can't be any worse than the last one... I hope. I wasn't thinking about CCW during the election, but wish i'd at least looked into it. I voted against the other guy because of the persistent rumours of fraud/corruption. And that Parkinson was at least endorsed by the local bible store owner.

Any thoughts/news on UOC here in SLO county? i have a little girl to protect, and parks full of dog owners who ignore the leash laws.

Please sign up per the instructions in this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=353115

When the time comes to either take action in your county, or when your county is determined to be "shall issue" and it is safe to apply with "self defense" as your good cause, you will be notified in this thread or via email.

Also, please consider donating to help pay for all the PRA's and lawyers that it is taking to do this work. The cost of sponsoring your county is about the same as the cost of the mandatory background check!
http://www.cgfstore.org/product/carry-license-reform-sunshine-initiative-credited-county-sponsorship

SikDMAX
11-25-2010, 7:45 PM
I have a CCW in SLO County under Hedges.... I think Parkinson will be much easier to have them granted. Wait it out a few months everyone...

wildhawker
11-25-2010, 11:24 PM
I have a CCW in SLO County under Hedges.... I think Parkinson will be much easier to have them granted. Wait it out a few months everyone...

Agreed, SLO is a county we want to apply some diplomacy and forward airstrikes prior to moving in the ground forces.

Pred@tor
11-26-2010, 8:16 PM
I am in the process for my CCW out here in Missouri I should get it in two weeks. How can I apply for one out of state for when I visit my brother who happens to live in SLO county? I lived there for 18 years and I know he packs heat but hes a cop.

robert68
11-28-2010, 11:21 PM
As someone who has applied previously and denied...

... Despite the request specifically limiting to copies of the cause statements, they still wanted about two grand in copy costs to cough them up... just couldn't go any further after that, which was likely the point.

A few years ago, i read that this had come to public attention and the government offices that were pulling this were being compelled to charge more reasonable rates for the copies people request.

I'm not sure where this stands now, but i'd be willing to help both look into it (internet searches and phone calls) and to follow up if i can (i'm a few hundred feet from grover beach's city offices, and down the street from south county court offices.

i'm just now learning about Calguns work on CCW and what is being done. I'd also like to learn what efforts are being done for OC in my area if anyone would like to contact me.

wildhawker
11-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I am in the process for my CCW out here in Missouri I should get it in two weeks. How can I apply for one out of state for when I visit my brother who happens to live in SLO county? I lived there for 18 years and I know he packs heat but hes a cop.

Unfortunately, you cannot receive a non-resident license unless you have a compelling business interest in SLO (and you can convince the sheriff). This will be fixed timely but not immediately.

cosmos7
11-29-2010, 5:06 PM

You gotta be kidding me... Parkinson is going to be worse unless he's forced; Cortez would have freely issued, but despite his campaign promises I have severe doubts about our new sheriff. When I applied the first time for CCW in 2005 I had to go see the city first before the county. I walk in and ask for an app... they have me wait for the captain (Parkinson), who comes out and tells me he doesn't issue unless you have a documented threat against you, and doesn't like to issue anyway due to the liability involved. Took almost a half hour for me to get the app out of him so I could do it, get my written denial, and move on to the sheriff.

Ford8N
11-30-2010, 5:00 AM
I walk in and ask for an app... they have me wait for the captain (Parkinson), who comes out and tells me he doesn't issue unless you have a documented threat against you, and doesn't like to issue anyway due to the liability involved.

That is a totally bogus argument. Does the State of California accept liability when they issue you a drivers license? Parkinson will not willingly give out CCW's. He is cut from the same cloth as the previous Sheriff. Parkinson has a colorful "history" too.

choprzrul
11-30-2010, 8:46 AM
I am eagerly awaiting CGF's release of SLO's GC statements. I am curious as to whether or not the county has released them yet. Makes me wonder how many apps statewide are getting shredded rather than released???

Pred@tor
12-01-2010, 7:25 PM
Unfortunately, you cannot receive a non-resident license unless you have a compelling business interest in SLO (and you can convince the sheriff). This will be fixed timely but not immediately.

Is there a way I can be automatically updated about the situation out there like email news letters or anything or shall I just keep checking this thread? Thanks for the reply by the way.

ontarget87
12-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Please sign up per the instructions in this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=353115

When the time comes to either take action in your county, or when your county is determined to be "shall issue" and it is safe to apply with "self defense" as your good cause, you will be notified in this thread or via email.

Also, please consider donating to help pay for all the PRA's and lawyers that it is taking to do this work. The cost of sponsoring your county is about the same as the cost of the mandatory background check!
http://www.cgfstore.org/product/carry-license-reform-sunshine-initiative-credited-county-sponsorship

So I signed up for the calguns foundation CCW list deal, but I have not received anymore information about it. Is there somebody that I can talk to about it or at least knows what exactly is going on. I have some patience, but if we're talking a year or two from now, that's going to be tough one to hurry up and wait for.

dantodd
12-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Feel free to pm wildhawker. I don't think there is much to tell right now. He has already used the volunteer list in two counties. I don't know which will be next.

wildhawker
12-05-2010, 12:56 PM
San Luis Residents, please hang tight. We've not forgotten about you.

Pred@tor
12-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Technically i'm still a resident there its my home of record...

AJAX22
12-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Technically i'm still a resident there its my home of record...

heh, Same here....

choprzrul
01-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Can I do my own FOIA request to SLOSD for CCW apps/GC statements? Don't they have to provide the documents by law? Could we FOIA them so much that it would be easier to just issue us a CCW?

If I do my own FOIA and get the docs, would it be helpful if I started redacting and forwarding my work to The Right People? It is really killing me to to have to stop at my office and home doors to unload and lock up the pistol. What can I do to help???

SikDMAX
01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
CalGuns Foundation really is working on SLO County.... I would say wait just a bit longer.....

Ford8N
01-04-2011, 4:03 PM
CalGuns Foundation really is working on SLO County.... I would say wait just a bit longer.....

Resistance and foot dragging. Why are they so afraid?

SikDMAX
01-04-2011, 5:54 PM
Who, exactly.. CGF?

They are working on the areas that affect the most amount of people first, I would say.

Parkinson just got sworn in yesterday - lets see where things are at in 60 days.

Ford8N
01-04-2011, 7:26 PM
Who, exactly.. CGF?

They are working on the areas that affect the most amount of people first, I would say.

Parkinson just got sworn in yesterday - lets see where things are at in 60 days.

I mean SLO county of course. CGF are the best!

JBolder
01-12-2011, 1:20 PM

Yesterday I called SLOSD and requested an application for CCW. I am willing to wait until the time is right to apply, but please keep me informed. Thanks

Pred@tor
01-16-2011, 4:14 PM
Will there be more information on possible non-resident permits? As I am a military man and my home of record is there...

OffGrid
02-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I backed off of turning in my application and getting my classes started because of what I have been hearing.

Both on line and via word of mouth I have been hearing that it is even more difficult to get approved lately. Is it a case of old sheriff goin out and new sheriff coming in and neither has time to look at the applications or are we seeing more rejections?

I don't want to go on hearsay and from a freind of a freind info. so im lookin for actual info if anyone has some.

I don't mind being a test subject but I really done want to waste the money if it will be so long a time before it does any good.

choprzrul
02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Are we there yet?

Any reason a small business owner with 60% service connected disability should be barred from getting a CCW permit in SLO county?

Seriously thinking about taking the afternoon off and driving down to the sheriff's office and start reading through the GC statements on my own.

dirtydeedsdoneinthedesert
02-08-2011, 9:37 PM
Any news yet? :90:

Paladin
02-09-2011, 6:42 PM
Any news yet? :90:
I just posted this in another thread and I believe it applies to MOST counties.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5785960#post5785960

Right People: If I'm wrong, feel free to edit my post or correct me. Thx

02-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks Paladin. That's good to know. Is there anyplace to read about the case or two that we're all waiting for.

$P-Ritch$
02-10-2011, 8:17 AM
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Litigation_Past_and_Present

Then just click on the case title to get more in depth info. Nordyke is the big one that a few of the other cases are waiting on. It should not be too long now before the ruling comes down.

These are very exciting times.

(tries to wait patiently)

wildhawker
03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
My Wife and I are moving to Cambria, a small tourist town on the central coast that has no police department and is not incorporated. I'm planning on using the lack of law enforcement and slow response time as the basis for my GC. I've got two questions. One, does a GC like this have a good chance of getting approved in SLO & two, do GC's of this nature tend to have limitations put on them... i.e. can only carry while in said city.

SLO is not currently CCW friendly. Most licensing is not restricted to a particular city or area.

Whiterabbit
03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
If you don't mind my asking, how do folks support themselves in Cambria? No water, hard to get property, hard to build, no industry (or is there?), expensive as heck, I'm mystified on how to support one's self out there.

Just asking, I thought about that many times while at university.

wildhawker
03-01-2011, 4:11 PM
Cambria has a sheriffs deputy that lives in town. He is often around in the area and also responds to incidents when he is off regular duty, day or night. The deputies have a small informal substation at the CAL FIRE station in Cambria. Hearst Castle has LEOs and they help in the area. Highway Patrol is often in the area. Fish and Game has helped at times. It's amazing how fast LE shows up there. There may be other LEOs that live in the area now too. The response time is not all that long and often within a few minutes.

A few minutes *after* report is still a few minutes later than necessary to defend against a violent attacker.

choprzrul
03-01-2011, 5:07 PM
SLO is not currently CCW friendly. Most licensing is not restricted to a particular city or area.

Does this include 60% disabled veterans who are physically unable to either retreat and/or stand and fight without a firearm?

Ford8N
03-01-2011, 5:40 PM
Does this include 60% disabled veterans who are physically unable to either retreat and/or stand and fight without a firearm?

I'll quote the typical SLO law enforcement mantra " Call 911"

wildhawker
03-01-2011, 6:17 PM

The evidence suggests that only cops and the well-connected need apply.

choprzrul
03-01-2011, 6:30 PM
The evidence suggests that only cops and the well-connected need apply.

Hypothetical: I apply with above GC statement and get denied. Something happens and I am seriously injured/killed. Would the body of evidence that only LE & well connected receiving CCW be basis upon which to build a lawsuit against the sheriff?

Secondly, it is my understanding that any citizen can submit evidence to the Grand Jury for consideration. Would denial of my GC be grounds for prosecution under 18 USC 241-242 based on Heller/McDonald finding that I have a right to self defense?

greasemonkey
03-02-2011, 6:22 AM
Once Calguns lets us all know when it's time, we can try to obtain our CCW's locally. If we are denied, then I suspect some of us will move to a defense friendly CA county or state.

Why move upon denial of issuance? That's when things get fun and CGF really comes out to play...:43:

Moto4Fun
03-02-2011, 3:57 PM
Registered as a volunteer and waiting!

I have had a filled out application either sitting on my desk or saved on my hard drive for a couple years, and just haven't done it due to rumors of denial. Now I will wait until someone suggests the timing is "better" and give it a shot. The whole Sheriff's race was a tough one and put the brakes on my application. Of the original 8 potential candidates, I though 6 had very good CCW policies, and sure enough, one of the two questionable ones was elected. I was quite disappointed.

choprzrul
03-03-2011, 10:39 AM
I would like to walk through the sheriff's office door with about 6 of us and do a formal on the spot records review request. 6 of us could divide up the current CCW GC statements and parse through them rather quickly. Separate out the ones that might be of use to us for CCW, and then do a request for those specific apps in hard copy form.

With that info in had, we would effectively be mimicking the initiative here. If we are denied then, I would think that we would have grounds to approach the grand jury on Equal Protection violation grounds.

How many people need to be involved to reach class action status?

wildhawker
03-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I would like to walk through the sheriff's office door with about 6 of us and do a formal on the spot records review request. 6 of us could divide up the current CCW GC statements and parse through them rather quickly. Separate out the ones that might be of use to us for CCW, and then do a request for those specific apps in hard copy form.

With that info in had, we would effectively be mimicking the initiative here. If we are denied then, I would think that we would have grounds to approach the grand jury on Equal Protection violation grounds.

How many people need to be involved to reach class action status?

I admire your tenacity, and trust me, it's necessary if you're going to survive as a gun rights activist. However, let's not be antagonistic without some potential for return. The process for requesting documents is clear, and what you described is not the best way to get what you want. Further, there is a new sheriff in town - the older records are probably of no value anyway.

There is no class action to bring now, and no matters to bring before the grand jury. This would not be mimicking the Initiative, because the methods, goals, and tactics are simply not congruent. Only ~10 people in the US (a good fraction of those are attorneys) have full knowledge of what the Initiative is doing, how, and why; what you see posted publicly is only that which doesn't compromise ongoing action.

Channel your anger and frustration into culture-reinforcing activities; you might check out this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=362574) for some ideas.

cosmos7
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM
When I was denied, I requested copies of the approved applications... they wanted two grand in copy charges. I then requested to inspect them in person, which was also denied. They cited personally-sensitive information that must be redacted before they can be publicly viewable.

wildhawker
03-03-2011, 12:29 PM
When I was denied, I requested copies of the approved applications... they wanted two grand in copy charges. I then requested to inspect them in person, which was also denied. They cited personally-sensitive information that must be redacted before they can be publicly viewable.

This is a tactic that many sheriffs use to deny your constitutional right of access to public records. We have litigation in Ventura on this issue, and we will be making the next filing very soon.

wildhawker
03-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Don't know how much water this holds but: I was talking to the owner of a local gun shop about CCW (he is a CCW instructor as well) and he said that he's been doing more classes than ever before and that Parkinson is handing them out frequently. His words exactly 'under the previous sheriff maybe 1 in 10 would get approved, under Parkinson I would guess only 1 in 15 get denied" He also said that the under-sheriff is giving interviews as soon as you drop off the paperwork i.e. same day. Was refreshing to hear and this guy is very much 'in-the-know'.

Good intel, and interesting because it's not what we've heard otherwise. Sounds like we need to dig into this.

wildhawker
03-04-2011, 1:05 PM
Please hang tight, let me dig a bit. We'll probably send some applicants through very soon.

Librarian
03-05-2011, 12:42 PM
There is also some indication in this thread about SLO number-of-guns on the permit problems -- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=404821

Hopalong
03-05-2011, 2:27 PM
There is also some indication in this thread about SLO number-of-guns on the permit problems -- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=404821

True.

I spoke with a guy very recently at the range who said he was just approved for his CCW in SLO.

He said that he was practicing with his two allowable guns for his qualifying.

I said, I have three on my permit. Are you sure?

He said yes.

Then I see it posted here that SLO allows two guns on the permit now

If that is the case, it is a very recent change, coinciding with the new sheriff.

Jack L
03-05-2011, 2:35 PM
I heard the same.

greasemonkey
03-05-2011, 3:29 PM
If that is the case, it is a very recent change, coinciding with the new sheriff.
I guess the new Sheriff wants as much special attention as Merced Co.'s gonna get :43:

cosmos7
03-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Please hang tight, let me dig a bit. We'll probably send some applicants through very soon.

Sign me up... will help any way I can.

Kid Stanislaus
03-06-2011, 5:41 PM
Things are look'n up in SLO!

03-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Wow, this is pretty great news. I hope it all goes down pretty soon.

greasemonkey
03-07-2011, 6:00 AM
Sign me up... will help any way I can.

If you haven't already, sign up on the CalgunsFoundation.org's volunteer page, this is currently the best way to get involved in the CCW Initiative:
https://calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer-registration.html

choprzrul
03-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Any updates to report?

Jack L
03-27-2011, 7:23 PM
Any updates to report?

I believe Brandon and the team is working on diplomacy first on SLOC. I have spoke with a number of people who have CCWs. I have not met anyone who used the simple and only reason of self protection worded however appropriate. All the people I have talked with had additional good causes. It appears that if you live in the most remote/rural areas of the county, response times of 30 minutes or longer, some of the ranchers had received CCWs. There are additional causes even with that..... like no cell coverage, and history of ranch theft and trespassing,etc. Basically one is on their own in the boonies so-to-speak. I know of one man who transports narcotics who was issued a CCW. Some business owners who transport money are able to get licensed too.

That's all I know. Since I never have lived in an incorporated city, all I know are ranchers and farmers and they are a self preservation type of society and many are armed licensed or not.

I guess some 'city folk' will have to apply to see how it is going. Maybe arrange for a face to face with the undersheriff to introduce yourself and have a question and answer session?

choprzrul
03-28-2011, 9:35 AM
I believe Brandon and the team is working on diplomacy first on SLOC. I have spoke with a number of people who have CCWs. I have not met anyone who used the simple and only reason of self protection worded however appropriate. All the people I have talked with had additional good causes. It appears that if you live in the most remote/rural areas of the county, response times of 30 minutes or longer, some of the ranchers had received CCWs. There are additional causes even with that..... like no cell coverage, and history of ranch theft and trespassing,etc. Basically one is on their own in the boonies so-to-speak. I know of one man who transports narcotics who was issued a CCW. Some business owners who transport money are able to get licensed too.

That's all I know. Since I never have lived in an incorporated city, all I know are ranchers and farmers and they are a self preservation type of society and many are armed licensed or not.

I guess some 'city folk' will have to apply to see how it is going. Maybe arrange for a face to face with the undersheriff to introduce yourself and have a question and answer session?

Thanks for the update/intel Jack. I think that I am going to go ahead and apply to see what happens. Being 60% service-connected disabled, I am unable to effectively retreat from a threat; and there is no way for me to dial 911 in the 1.5 seconds it takes a bad guy to cover 7 yards.

I have to run out to Apex Tactile in Los Osos anyway, so I think that I will drop off an app with the SD.

Now to puts some words to the GC statement....

Jack L
03-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the update/intel Jack. I think that I am going to go ahead and apply to see what happens. Being 60% service-connected disabled, I am unable to effectively retreat from a threat; and there is no way for me to dial 911 in the 1.5 seconds it takes a bad guy to cover 7 yards.

I have to run out to Apex Tactile in Los Osos anyway, so I think that I will drop off an app with the SD.

Now to puts some words to the GC statement....

I think your GC is one of the better ones even when you consider the traditional GC's over the decades. Serve your country, suffer trauma, come home and want to be safe after making us all safe. He who would not allow you a CCW would be unpatriotic.

choprzrul
03-28-2011, 3:45 PM
What I learned today:

I dropped off my 1911 @ Apex Tactical Specialties in Los Osos after lunch and then drove over to the Sheriff's office to drop off my CCW app. I want to get this put down while it is still fresh in my mind, so here are some points that come to mind:

1. Didn't want my check for $20.00

2. First thing, asked if I had applied to my local PD. I said no, that I didn't find that requirement anywhere in the PC. I was told that it is their policy that I have to apply locally first, otherwise it is an automatic denial. I asked if I could see their policy that outlines this and was told that there wasn't a policy but that it is just their unwritten rule about how it is done.

3. The SLOSD pdf says to include "..an item of cancelled United States postage, which has your physical (street) address...", so I copied a phone bill with my name and address at the top. That wasn't good enough. It had to be the letter itself showing the canceled postmark along with name and address. Not sure how I would get a paper phone bill with my name and address at the top without it being mailed to me at that address, but oh well. Just faxed 3 examples to them just now.

4. She reluctantly accepted my application, but again stressed that it would be denied without submitting locally.

5. Per SLOSD pdf, I included information for 3 firearms. She said that they only allow 2 and that I had to scratch 1 off, so I did.

I am not holding out much hope for this application. My hope is that it provides intel for sunshine and the time I spent doing it proves useful in the future. I will update here as I learn more.

Jack L
03-28-2011, 5:23 PM
What I learned today:

I dropped off my 1911 @ Apex Tactical Specialties in Los Osos after lunch and then drove over to the Sheriff's office to drop off my CCW app. I want to get this put down while it is still fresh in my mind, so here are some points that come to mind:

1. Didn't want my check for $20.00

2. First thing, asked if I had applied to my local PD. I said no, that I didn't find that requirement anywhere in the PC. I was told that it is their policy that I have to apply locally first, otherwise it is an automatic denial. I asked if I could see their policy that outlines this and was told that there wasn't a policy but that it is just their unwritten rule about how it is done.

3. The SLOSD pdf says to include "..an item of cancelled United States postage, which has your physical (street) address...", so I copied a phone bill with my name and address at the top. That wasn't good enough. It had to be the letter itself showing the canceled postmark along with name and address. Not sure how I would get a paper phone bill with my name and address at the top without it being mailed to me at that address, but oh well. Just faxed 3 examples to them just now.

4. She reluctantly accepted my application, but again stressed that it would be denied without submitting locally.

5. Per SLOSD pdf, I included information for 3 firearms. She said that they only allow 2 and that I had to scratch 1 off, so I did.

I am not holding out much hope for this application. My hope is that it provides intel for sunshine and the time I spent doing it proves useful in the future. I will update here as I learn more.

If the phone bill had the date on it, what's the difference if you have an envelope or not? I don't get that. How about copy of your property tax bill and DMV registration together. If you rent, a copy of your rental agreement.

Have you thought about submitting a application to your local PD? They may defer to the sheriff then you are back online with this.

I don't know anything about the legality of this. I'd email Brandon and ask what to do now. If you have no issues with your local PD maybe a application to them will be the first step?

I think your GC is a very good one and politically would get a lot of attention in your favor if you are denied.

Keep us updated ASAP.

03-28-2011, 6:50 PM
I've heard that if you turn in a ccw app in Morro Bay they just tell you "OK, we'll send you your denial letter". My understanding is that the chief of police here in M.B. just automatically defers you to the Sheriff, and getting denied on the local level is just part of the due diligence.

03-28-2011, 6:51 PM
But good luck...I hope you get it.

choprzrul
04-02-2011, 7:17 PM
But good luck...I hope you get it.

Thanks for the well wishes, but alas they said no:

Dear Mr. Choprzrul:

Your initial application for a concealed firearms license has been reviewed. The purpose(s) and reason(s) you stated for having a license do not meet the criteria of "good cause" (insufficient reason to issue a permit/lack of justification for need) as outlined in Penal Code Section 12050.

Also, in reviewing the information provided in your application, it was noted that your residence address is located within an incorporated city within San Luis Obispo County. Therefore, I recommend that you contact the xxxyyyy Police Department regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Martin J Basti
Undersheriff

Sooooo...... it would seem, even though SCOTUS ruled that self defense is an individual fundamental civil right, a service-connected disabled veteran that is unable to effectively retreat from a threat and effectively unable to physically defend oneself; is separated from his civil rights by the local sheriff.

Now, what is the method by which I appeal this? I'm thinking some Heller & McDonald quotations followed by referencing 18USC241 & 242. I am also thinking of contacting the Blackburn fellow that did the Matt Hart video. It really torque's me to think that the sheriff of Nottingham can randomly deny a person's fundamental civil rights on a whim.

wildhawker
04-02-2011, 7:24 PM
By statute, there is no such animal as an 'appeal' from a denial under PC 12050. You might create some limited uncomfortable PR by use of a very limited press, but you may just foreclose any opportunity to leverage. One should consider goals before taking steps rooted in frustration.

-Brandon

Thanks for the well wishes, but alas they said no:

Sooooo...... it would seem, even though SCOTUS ruled that self defense is an individual fundamental civil right, a service-connected disabled veteran that is unable to effectively retreat from a threat and effectively unable to physically defend oneself; is separated from his civil rights by the local sheriff.

Now, what is the method by which I appeal this? I'm thinking some Heller & McDonald quotations followed by referencing 18USC241 & 242. I am also thinking of contacting the Blackburn fellow that did the Matt Hart video. It really torque's me to think that the sheriff of Nottingham can randomly deny a person's fundamental civil rights on a whim.

Ford8N
04-02-2011, 8:33 PM
SLO Sheriffs answer "Call 911" period.

Sorry about your denial.

choprzrul
04-03-2011, 5:51 AM
SLO Sheriffs answer "Call 911" period.

Sorry about your denial.

Yep. The problem is, I can't dial 911 and have an officer respond in the 1.5 seconds that it takes a threat to cover 21'.

If 911 is a viable defense methodology, why doesn't LE go unarmed and simply rely on calling for backup in a threatening situation? I am really starting to dislike those jackwagons.

choprzrul
04-03-2011, 5:23 PM
The more I think about this, the madder I get. If they think that interacting with society is safe enough soas I don't need to be armed; then by golly the deputies have no legitimate excuse to be armed either. They even have a direct radio link to dispatch should they need backup in a self defense situation.

I am steamed & it isn't getting any better as time goes by.

wildhawker
04-03-2011, 6:02 PM
I'd counsel temperance and remaining focused on the road ahead.

Ford8N
04-04-2011, 4:43 AM
The more I think about this, the madder I get. If they think that interacting with society is safe enough soas I don't need to be armed; then by golly the deputies have no legitimate excuse to be armed either. They even have a direct radio link to dispatch should they need backup in a self defense situation.

You have learned an important lesson. You know where you stand with firearms and self defense in SLO county. And since Parkinson won the election it will be business as usual. Pretty maddening when somebody from Kern county can get a CCW for self defense and walk around legally in SLO county. But just because you live here, the Sheriff will not issue you a CCW for self defense.

greasemonkey
04-04-2011, 6:59 AM
After browsing through the thread quickly, it seems like you knew before you applied you had a very likely chance of being denied; and so, it shouldn't surprise you that you got denied.

Just hold tight, decades of reinforcement that "I am the Law" is not a particularly quick or easy process to undo, ESPECIALLY not when it's Statewide in the upper echelons of enforcement. I know there hasn't been much CGF activity in 'your' county lately but rest assured that when the timing's right, you'll get to be part of an epic process in reestablishing exercise of a fundamental right, if you're willing to be patient and work with The Right People who are clearly effective at this game.

scott26
04-04-2011, 7:12 AM
What you can do is UOC although it is not the best option after being denied CCW it really is the only other option and since you have applied for a CCW any hassle that might come your way from the law (ergo... public encounters or self defense) would be justified even more since you were denied.

I know most don't like the idea of UOC but when seconds count and police being minutes away at least you have access to a weapon sooner then the police would be there to help.

choprzrul
04-05-2011, 12:20 PM
I'd counsel temperance and remaining focused on the road ahead.

Thank you for the sage advice Brandon. I am much calmer today and more contemplative. I do think that I will apply to my local PD, if nothing else, so that I know that I have exhausted all resources at my disposal to reach my goal.

....breathes deeply....

wildhawker
04-06-2011, 1:14 AM
I think this is an excellent and reasoned path forward.

-Brandon

Thank you for the sage advice Brandon. I am much calmer today and more contemplative. I do think that I will apply to my local PD, if nothing else, so that I know that I have exhausted all resources at my disposal to reach my goal.

....breathes deeply....

OnDaNose
04-27-2011, 7:41 AM
Here is a chance to talk with our sheriff. It would be nice if the article stated the date for each location, but it does not. Perhaps they are still figuring out those details.

From the Tribune: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2011/04/27/1578159/sheriff-ian-parkinson-to-hold.html

"San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson will hold ten town hall events in May and June to give local residents an opportunity to meet him and share ideas and concerns.
All the events will run from 6 to 7:30 p.m.

They will be:
Tuesday: Nipomo High School;
Old Mission San Miguel Parish Center;
Cayucos Veterans Hall;
South County Regional Center in Arroyo Grande
Boys and Girls Club of South San Luis Obispo County in Oceano;
Templeton Community Services District board room;
Heritage Ranch senior center;
Shandon Elementary School;
Sunnyside Elementary School in Los Osos;
Rabobank in Cambria."

Jack L
05-03-2011, 4:39 PM

....breathes deeply....

My FedEx delivery person is going to ask the cost for a cover letter by Michael and Associates to use when he applies for his CCW in SB County. He lives in Santa Maria. If they will do it, that might be worth a try?

http://michellawyers.com/practice-areas/firearms-law-group/

Robidouxs
06-01-2011, 9:16 PM
Any updates on progress?

choprzrul
06-06-2011, 4:23 PM
Any updates on progress?

Check you PMs and read This (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=433506&page=2) thread. Parkinson Town Hall Meeting 6/7 in Los Osos. Be there and make your voice heard.

choprzrul
08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Can us poor SLO souls get a morsel of good news? Is the newly enlightened Monterey Sheriff going to spread the good news south to Sheriff Parkinson? Will the slapping that Ventura county took in the courts cause Parkinson to sit up and take notice? Should I send in yet another application just to check to see if they have moved any on their illegal requirements?

Toss me some crumbs, I need something to nibble on.....

XDShocker
08-15-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm with you brother. I'm having to give up my Colorado CCW (due to it only being valid as a resident of the state. I still have my primary house there, but don't want to complicate things.) I'm living in Utah for a job right now where I'll be snagging their non-resident CCW permit here shortly and then moving to be with the wife and in kids in SLO (she lives there now with the kiddos for her job while I am here in Utah for my job for now.) I'm nervous as hell giving up my comfort package on my hip knowing the history with SLO. I need some good news so I can feel better about moving to that damn state I had no intentions of ever doing but family comes first.

Anything? Bueller?

-E

ColdDeadHands1
08-15-2011, 7:13 AM
I'll tell you what, if you have to move to CA then SLO is the place to be. If I had to be somewhere in CA without a LTC, SLO is it. Move, be happy, enjoy the beautiful central coast, be patient, and within two years you will have a LTC thanks to the efforts of the CGF and other smart lawyers around the country.

Me? I'm stuck in the Bay Area for now. This is not a place you want to be with or without a LTC, IMHO.

Kid Stanislaus
08-15-2011, 7:08 PM
I'm stuck in the Bay Area for now. This is not a place you want to be with or without a LTC, IMHO.

Aw now c'mon CDH, there are some NICE places to live in the Bary Area, have you considerd Oakland?!!:43:

XDShocker
08-15-2011, 8:17 PM
I'll tell you what, if you have to move to CA then SLO is the place to be. If I had to be somewhere in CA without a LTC, SLO is it. Move, be happy, enjoy the beautiful central coast, be patient, and within two years you will have a LTC thanks to the efforts of the CGF and other smart lawyers around the country.

Me? I'm stuck in the Bay Area for now. This is not a place you want to be with or without a LTC, IMHO.

That was the only option to get me to move to Cali in the first place and thank God the wife grew up in SLO. I love it there but I get itchy at times with the liberal sheeple population from time to time.

ColdDeadHands1
08-15-2011, 8:21 PM
I love it there but I get itchy at times with the liberal sheeple population from time to time.

When it gets too bad, come hang out in the bay area for a weekend. You'll come to appreciate the people in SLO, even if there are liberal enclaves here and there.

$P-Ritch$
08-15-2011, 9:58 PM
While there are a lot of those annoying wannabe hippies and know it all college students in this town, it is a really great town. Then, if you need to vent, just drive a few miles up the 1 and go to one of the many matches held at SLOSA every weekend. I have never lived so close to such an active sporting club. They do matches of Trap, Skeet, IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, Steel Challenge, SASS, 3-gun, Take-5 Rimfire, High Power Rifle, Tactical, and I'm sure there's a couple more I'm missing. Point being, there's plenty of fun to be had in SLO for a gunnie and if these hopes of a more fair CCW issuance policy eventually come to fruition that will just be icing on the cake.

08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
SLOSA IS GREAT, but what about bike night in slo? Don't want to forget about that! Almost as repulsive as a critical mass demonstration...well not quite.:D

dalriaden
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
I think downtown slo has more bars per city block then any other place ive ever been in my life. The only time I really wished I had a LTC was when I was sitting at the bus stop and a homeless guy was talking to me for 30 minutes, he was actually an alright guy but he knew I had at least a laptop in my bag and prior to us talking I was slightly perturbed.
I do occasionally think about carrying up by the house mainly when im riding in case of snakes/feral bobcat, or some drunk decides to hop out of his boat and see whats in the garage but Im paranoid.

Ford8N
08-16-2011, 3:45 PM
SLO county has a lot of gun shops too. Although most are infested with fudmiesters and anti black rifle types who don't know California law. But a couple are pro freedom.

ColdDeadHands1
08-16-2011, 6:43 PM
I think downtown slo has more bars per city block then any other place ive ever been in my life. The only time I really wished I had a LTC was when I was sitting at the bus stop and a homeless guy was talking to me for 30 minutes, he was actually an alright guy but he knew I had at least a laptop in my bag and prior to us talking I was slightly perturbed.
I do occasionally think about carrying up by the house mainly when im riding in case of snakes/feral bobcat, or some drunk decides to hop out of his boat and see whats in the garage but Im paranoid.

Which lake do you live near?

choprzrul
08-17-2011, 2:08 PM
I'm with you brother. I'm having to give up my Colorado CCW (due to it only being valid as a resident of the state. I still have my primary house there, but don't want to complicate things.) I'm living in Utah for a job right now where I'll be snagging their non-resident CCW permit here shortly and then moving to be with the wife and in kids in SLO (she lives there now with the kiddos for her job while I am here in Utah for my job for now.) I'm nervous as hell giving up my comfort package on my hip knowing the history with SLO. I need some good news so I can feel better about moving to that damn state I had no intentions of ever doing but family comes first.

Anything? Bueller?

-E

They can have SLO, I prefer the 5 cities area. Falling asleep with the sound of surf in the background is really nice. I did a quick Zillow check for you and found This (http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1680-Baden-Ave-Grover-Beach-CA-93433/15435661_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}) and This (http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1526-Strawberry-Ave-Arroyo-Grande-CA-93420/54650873_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}). I know a lender and a real estate agent if you need them. PM me if so.

sonnyca
09-17-2011, 8:33 AM
My understanding is that SLO allows pretty much anything that is well written and articulate as good cause.

I had a friend with a CCW in slo, IIRC he just had a nice letter that said that he would like to have the means to defend his life and the lives of his family should the need arise (or something to that effect).

I applied and said that I am a senior citizen which are often targeted for home envasion, carjacking and mugging, I put more down but that is the gist of it. Guess they didn't like that. I was turned down. Been thinking about appealing, but think I have waited too long.

sonnyca
09-27-2011, 7:37 AM

It only took 2 weeks for him to deny my CCW

choprzrul
09-29-2011, 3:48 PM
It only took 2 weeks for him to deny my CCW

Twice denied in under a week each. Based upon my stated good cause, Parkinson must not take his oath to protect and defend the constitution as a serious mandate of his office. I've grown to truly detest authority figures who actively seek to separate me from my fundamental civil rights. Never really gave it any thought until I moved to this state/county.

Trying my best to be patient until CGF issues a fire drill to go apply.

Ford8N
09-29-2011, 3:54 PM
Twice denied in under a week each. Based upon my stated good cause, Parkinson must not take his oath to protect and defend the constitution as a serious mandate of his office. I've grown to truly detest authority figures who actively seek to separate me from my fundamental civil rights. Never really gave it any thought until I moved to this state/county.

Trying my best to be patient until CGF issues a fire drill to go apply.

Typical SLO County LEO...call 911...AFTER YOUR DEAD.

Kosuki
09-30-2011, 3:05 PM
As a resident of SLO, I know how conservative and "GREEN"(ECO-Friendly) San Luis Obispo is. This county is so "Green" They banned public smoking of cigarettes unless your in your home or backyard. This town even had a hard time getting firing ranges because the "GREEN" people said the bullets would pollute the environment.

As for the Sheriffs willingness to hand them out well, he is very Conservative on that. you would have better luck opening a Smoke Shop in the downtown.

If anyone wants me too I would not mind setting up an appointment with the sheriff and getting his official statement on Video/Written about his current policy's & personal views of CCW's in San Luis Obispo County.

Let me know ^^

choprzrul
10-03-2011, 2:35 PM
Getting some feedback via the Tribune's website (I do battle with the slo hippies when they publish gun or self defense articles) that being a member of the sheriff's auxiliary will get you LTC.

Good ol' boys club perpetuated...

OffGrid
12-19-2011, 5:14 PM
Well Parkinson is handing them out.

My BIL just got approved for his CCW by the sheriffs department. His good cause was for having a rural vineyard/tasting room on the same property as his home, the general safety of his family and large sums of money on the premises.

I will be turning in my application as soon as I can get down to south county.

greasemonkey
12-19-2011, 5:23 PM
I wonder if Parkinson is issuing to a college student that rents an apartment in town or just people that own wineries or live on a winery's property. I'm also interested what restrictions there are on the permit, specifically pertaining to locations that primarily serve alcohol.

Well Parkinson is handing them out.

My BIL just got approved for his CCW by the sheriffs department. His good cause was for having a rural vineyard/tasting room on the same property as his home, the general safety of his family and large sums of money on the premises.

I will be turning in my application as soon as I can get down to south county.

OffGrid
12-19-2011, 5:44 PM
I don't know what restrictions, if any, he has.

I just found out he didn't even get called for an oral interview.

They took his app, did his livescan and 5 days later he was approved.

Dick's Shootin' Irons
12-23-2011, 9:49 AM
From the folks that I have been doing business with, he has given some out to people that live in rural areas, in incorporated areas, not so much.

$P-Ritch$
12-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, I'll be submitting my packet here within a month or so. I am just a poor college student and we'll see where that goes. A guy I shoot a lot with is around my age and was just recently approved. He is no longer in school though and works full time.

Fear58
01-02-2012, 9:31 AM
P-Ritch, Let me know how that goes if ya would. I'm attending school in SLO as well... I want to get a feel for student discrimination.

$P-Ritch$
01-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Will do, just waiting for the DMV to get me my license with the new SLO residence on it before I move ahead.

choprzrul
01-13-2012, 6:44 AM
Well, I'll see if the 3rd time is a charm on Friday the 13th. Taking another swing at this today. I am wondering, since UOC is now banned, how much liability is the SLOSD incurring by denying applications by law abiding citizens? Kinda like Mr. Heller, the law is leaving zero path to self defense when LTC is denied.

Breadfan
01-17-2012, 2:30 PM
Any updates on progress

SteveG
03-06-2012, 7:26 AM
New guy here doing lots of reading. Can someone let me know what the following acronyms are for? It'll help make some sense of some of the posts.

Thanks!

UOC
SLOSD
LTC

Dick's Shootin' Irons
03-06-2012, 8:28 AM
SteveG,
UOC: unloaded open carry
SLOSD: San Luis Obispo Sheriff Dept
LTC: License to Carry

Dick

SteveG
03-06-2012, 2:16 PM
Thanks, Dick. That helps. I've been doing some research as I am going to submit an application soon.

Thanks again,

Steve

Dick's Shootin' Irons
03-06-2012, 2:53 PM
Good Luck. Keep us posted.

choprzrul
03-09-2012, 8:57 PM
I sure hope Parkinson is a 1 term'r.

sonnyca
03-10-2012, 6:31 AM
Parkinson turned down my CCW last year, I have not to date tried again, but I have been on his facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ian-Parkinson/113528250399. Trying to get him to go to the Sheriffs meetings in Nevada.
http://www.countysheriffproject.org/. Maybe he would learn something, who knows?

HarrisHawker
03-10-2012, 9:06 PM
Thanks, Dick. That helps. I've been doing some research as I am going to submit an application soon.

Thanks again,

Steve

Hi, I have been following this thread with interest-here's some encouragment. I received my CCW from Ian last week and the process seemed straightforward and painless, I can tell you I am not any kind of Judicial System/Security Employee, Medical or Legal Professional, Firearms Dealer, Jeweler, or Cash Courier, I AM just a "Regular Joe" who made sure to be polite, respectful, and put some thought and professionalism into his "good cause". Just for myself I would have to say Ian and the SLO Sheriff's Dept. are willing to work with you if you follow the proper procedures.:cool2:

choprzrul
03-10-2012, 9:32 PM
Hi, I have been following this thread with interest-here's some encouragment. I received my CCW from Ian last week and the process seemed straightforward and painless, I can tell you I am not any kind of Judicial System/Security Employee, Medical or Legal Professional, Firearms Dealer, Jeweler, or Cash Courier, I AM just a "Regular Joe" who made sure to be polite, respectful, and put some thought and professionalism into his "good cause". Just for myself I would have to say Ian and the SLO Sheriff's Dept. are willing to work with you if you follow the proper procedures.:cool2:

Well now, that is one heck of a first post.

It was nice of Mr. Parkinson to 'allow' you to exercise your civil rights after bending over backwards to be polite, respectful, thoughtful, and professional. Too bad that law abiding citizens have to beg an agent of the government to be enjoined with their civil rights. Sorry, I have zero use for any agent of the government that oppresses the civil rights of law abiding citizens. It is my opinion that Parkinson & his ilk should be jailed and lose all of his worldly possessions for gross violations of this section of California Civil Code. (http://law.onecle.com/california/civil/52.3.html)

The :troll: can now go report back to his boss everything that I have said here.

HarrisHawker
03-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Sorry If I offended you- I agree it would be great if we could just write "Second Amendment Rights" as our good cause and be done with it, but it is what it is and it seems if you work within the framework that the issuing authority lays down you have a lot better shot at getting the permit, no?

Being polite, respectful, and professional equate with "bending over backward" and "begging"? Really? I think all those attributes work well in everyday life with everyone I meet, I never think I am demeaning myself by exercising them....and they must not have hurt my chances since I now have the CCW.

I just wanted to let ya'll know it's not hopeless with SLO....

Didn't know there was a initiation period before a Newbie like me could make a "heck of a first post"... I should start over: "Hiya, I'm new here! How ya doin? ;)

Take care and hope the day will come when we are a shall issue State and this is all moot.

sonnyca
03-12-2012, 6:38 AM
I didn't take offense to the post, but am a little jealous, A year ago I applied and was polite and so forth, but was turned down. I don't know if it was because Ian Parkinson had just became Sheriff, or not. Maybe over the last year he has become a little more lenient. Maybe I should try again. :oji:

HarrisHawker
03-12-2012, 8:17 AM
I didn't take offense to the post, but am a little jealous, A year ago I applied and was polite and so forth, but was turned down. I don't know if it was because Ian Parkinson had just became Sheriff, or not. Maybe over the last year he has become a little more lenient. Maybe I should try again. :oji:

Hi- I was replying to choprzrul not to everyone-oops, should have put his reply to me in quotes, my bad.

It's very possible Ian and SLOSD has just recently decided to be more constitutionally-minded and 2nd friendly, and politeness or lack of it had nothing to do with my approval, education is a ongoing process with all of us and he might have become enlightened.

My only point of posting was to let people know some good came out of SLOSD recently. And that my circumstances were nothing "special" yet they still issued. And what my attitude was-ya know the old saw about flies and honey..I forget the exact quote ;) I sure don't think it would hurt for you to try again?

Hope you get it!

OffGrid
03-12-2012, 3:34 PM
HarrisHawker, Thank you for taking the time to come on here and give us the details of your experience. I for one appreciate the information.

Welcome to Calguns, and I apologize for the rude reception you got earlier.

chorzrul, do you have anything like an ip address search leading back to the sheriffs office or some other kind of proof? If not where do you get off calling the guy out as a troll?

HarrisHawker
03-12-2012, 5:33 PM
HarrisHawker, Thank you for taking the time to come on here and give us the details of your experience. I for one appreciate the information.

chorzrul, do you have anything like an ip address search leading back to the sheriffs office or some other kind of proof? If not where do you get off calling the guy out as a troll?

Thanks for the welcome and the thoughts...

Let me just say I don't have any problem with choprzrul, so no worries, no need for him to justify anything, not here for a flame war!

We are all on the same side and in reading thru this thread, he and others had some real bad experiences with SLOSD, my experience doesn't negate that and I can sympathize with them. I think he was just venting and respect that, nobody to my mind that is a law abiding citizen should be denied, period. Unfortunately-as we all know we're not there yet and the only way there seems to be keep on working at it, legally, politically-and to me, by maintaining civility with the powers that be, since I can't see how it helps to antagonize 'em. Being Civil and pandering or kowtowing are not the same thing to my mind, but choprzrul is entitled to his opinion about SLOPD. Hopefully he can see I'M not his problem. I am a Noob here and maybe with the involved initial post I walked into the bar and started playin pool without laying down my quarters ;) I'd buy chop a drink If I met him in person and listen to him vent! Off the soapbox now...

choprzrul
03-12-2012, 8:02 PM
Got denied twice last year and once this year. I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket since before joining the Army in 1986. Been through the background check to volunteer at my local PD and was fully approved to provide computer forensics volunteer work. In my last application sent in after the first of the year, I used a mirror image of the GC that my boss used to get his LTC. Since he and I travel to exactly the same areas and are exposed to exactly the same risks, I see some very serious issues with Equal Protection under the 14th Amendment with this last application.

To be frank, I am quite upset that an elected official is actively separating me from exercising my civil rights. There have been far too many people who have fought and died securing those rights over the last 237 years for some jackwagon to become the sole arbiter of allowing/denying those rights. I only hope that some small part of my applications can be used by Team CGF to separate the county of SLO from some $$$ to further the advancement of civil rights for all.

I offer my sincerest apology for jumping all over HarrisHawker. I'm hyper-sensitive to anything having to do with SLOSD & his #1 post sounded like a PR post. I offer my congratulations on obtaining your LTC. I look forward to reading your GC when CGF Sunshine releases the results of their FOIA request. Again, my apologies.

HarrisHawker
03-13-2012, 5:28 AM
Got denied twice last year and once this year. I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket since before joining the Army in 1986. Been through the background check to volunteer at my local PD and was fully approved to provide computer forensics volunteer work. In my last application sent in after the first of the year, I used a mirror image of the GC that my boss used to get his LTC. Since he and I travel to exactly the same areas and are exposed to exactly the same risks, I see some very serious issues with Equal Protection under the 14th Amendment with this last application.

To be frank, I am quite upset that an elected official is actively separating me from exercising my civil rights. There have been far too many people who have fought and died securing those rights over the last 237 years for some jackwagon to become the sole arbiter of allowing/denying those rights. I only hope that some small part of my applications can be used by Team CGF to separate the county of SLO from some $$$ to further the advancement of civil rights for all.

I offer my sincerest apology for jumping all over HarrisHawker. I'm hyper-sensitive to anything having to do with SLOSD & his #1 post sounded like a PR post. I offer my congratulations on obtaining your LTC. I look forward to reading your GC when CGF Sunshine releases the results of their FOIA request. Again, my apologies.

choprzrul, no harm no foul. I read many of your other posts and am familiar with your town hall meeting actions trying to draw Ian's attention to the LTC issue, and fully understand your frustration, I share it. The issue to my mind will not be resolved until Cal is a shall issue state, period. That should be the ultimate goal...meantime we can try to educate the local elected/installed powers, and vote when election time comes for the "best option" but it is not going to fix the problem. So the way I look at it is to work with what's there, and be as civil as possible, hope for the best outcome individually. By the way- did you ever try thru Grover PD? A workmate who lives in AG had no problem getting his LTC thru AGPD- not sure if Grover has a MOU with SLOPD but if not that would be your best bet?

choprzrul
03-13-2012, 6:49 AM
choprzrul, no harm no foul. I read many of your other posts and am familiar with your town hall meeting actions trying to draw Ian's attention to the LTC issue, and fully understand your frustration, I share it. The issue to my mind will not be resolved until Cal is a shall issue state, period. That should be the ultimate goal...meantime we can try to educate the local elected/installed powers, and vote when election time comes for the "best option" but it is not going to fix the problem. So the way I look at it is to work with what's there, and be as civil as possible, hope for the best outcome individually. By the way- did you ever try thru Grover PD? A workmate who lives in AG had no problem getting his LTC thru AGPD- not sure if Grover has a MOU with SLOPD but if not that would be your best bet?

I know Chief Copsey of GBPD personally & can assure you that there is zero chance of getting a LTC from him. He doesn't even allow his reserve officers to CCW off duty. One of the 'Right People' described Grover's LTC policy as one of the worst ones that they have ever seen & contains many illegal provisions.

I am seriously thinking of applying a 4th time & citing all of the regs that prevent me from bearing arms for the purpose of self defense. The only avenue left to exercise my civil rights is a LTC. Failing to allow a law abiding citizen to exercise their civil rights surely means that SLOSD is accepting full responsibility for my personal welfare and will be liable should any harm come to me. Perhaps an essay on Heller, McDonald, CA civil code 52.3, 18USC241, and others would assist his understanding of civil rights.

I guess that in simplest terms, I am completely frustrated with continuing to being separated from all of my civil rights. It is simply wrong and someone should be held accountable.

HarrisHawker
03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
I know Chief Copsey of GBPD personally & can assure you that there is zero chance of getting a LTC from him. He doesn't even allow his reserve officers to CCW off duty. One of the 'Right People' described Grover's LTC policy as one of the worst ones that they have ever seen & contains many illegal provisions.

I am seriously thinking of applying a 4th time & citing all of the regs that prevent me from bearing arms for the purpose of self defense. The only avenue left to exercise my civil rights is a LTC. Failing to allow a law abiding citizen to exercise their civil rights surely means that SLOSD is accepting full responsibility for my personal welfare and will be liable should any harm come to me. Perhaps an essay on Heller, McDonald, CA civil code 52.3, 18USC241, and others would assist his understanding of civil rights.

I guess that in simplest terms, I am completely frustrated with continuing to being separated from all of my civil rights. It is simply wrong and someone should be held accountable.

Sounds like Copsey is more of your problem than Ian? As far as I know, a Municipal LEA has sole say over approval unless they secede that (via a MOA) to the County? It seems possible SLOSD might have approved you if you were in an unincorporated area (though I know they don't always do so just for that reason) -but is looking at your address and deferring to GBPD. Even IF it were possible for the County to countermand a Muni's approval process-remember there is professional courtesy big-time among LEA's and it would be quite the toe-stepping if SLOSD approved what GBPD denied. Did SLOSD ever tell you to apply 1st to GBPD?

I would reapply in the manner you outline above but to GBPD, Copsey sounds like he is a bigger issue than Ian and if you are going all-out shouldn't you direct it at the major culprit? Looking at it like- at least SLOSD is meeting us a quarter of the way if not halfway, and GBPD is meeting us not at all.

I really do understand your frustration...where is the California shall issue!!!???

BTW- How can it be that GBPD does not allow their LEO's to CCW off-duty? I thought LEOSA/HR218 took precedence over any local prohibitions?

choprzrul
03-13-2012, 1:14 PM
Follow what Wildhawker has to say in threads.

Basically, PC mandates CA county sheriffs to process LTC apps and makes no mention that an SD can legally deny an app based upon applicants address. Mandating that an applicant first apply to a municipality is NOT based on what the PC says.

Trust me, my first stop was my local PD.

Stop and think about the Pismo Beach & dunes area. Our population can easily swell to double that of residents when you count visitors. Those visitors are largely coming from CA counties that freely issue permits to carry. If armed citizens were a problem, you soon hear about it around here.

Nope, this isn't a gun issue. This is a control issue. SLOSD routinely violates civil rights so that they can feel like big men who control the population.

Ford8N
03-15-2012, 6:44 PM

What was your "good cause"? To help everyone.

choprzrul
03-16-2012, 3:41 PM
What was your "good cause"? To help everyone.

Kinda like to know that myself...

HarrisHawker
03-16-2012, 6:44 PM
My GC was (not verbatim but the gist...) I live in a remote corner of the County and am often in even more remote areas practicing my sport that I have engaged in for the last 35+ years (look at my avatar and you will figure out my sport) on lands I have permission to be on, and at times have been accosted on those lands by people who do NOT have permission to be there-and would like the means to be my own 1st responder since I am far from timely response from LEA.

Ford8N
03-17-2012, 9:19 PM
So....if I go shooting in the remote parts of SLO county "practicing my sports". There are documented drug farmers who will kill anyone who stumbles upon their patch of Marijauna, I should be able to get a LTC from the SLO county sheriff. Right. I'm surprised the Sheriff didn't tell you to move into town and not "practice your sport" in areas where you could be "accosted" by criminal trespassers. The standard response I have actually heard from our Sheriff is call 911 if you feel threatened.

HarrisHawker
03-18-2012, 2:37 PM
So....if I go shooting in the remote parts of SLO county "practicing my sports". There are documented drug farmers who will kill anyone who stumbles upon their patch of Marijauna, I should be able to get a LTC from the SLO county sheriff. Right. I'm surprised the Sheriff didn't tell you to move into town and not "practice your sport" in areas where you could be "accosted" by criminal trespassers. The standard response I have actually heard from our Sheriff is call 911 if you feel threatened.

Yes-you should be issued for the cause you outlined, also (assuming you are a law-abiding citizen) for any other cause whatsoever, until the day when we can just dispense with it and put "2nd amendment", which is what we are all are supposed to be working toward here. Try your post this way- leave out the "Right" and substitute "I'm happy" for "I'm surprised".

Wildhawker replied to choprzrul in an earlier post: "I admire your tenacity, and trust me, it's necessary if you're going to survive as a gun rights activist. However, let's not be antagonistic without some potential for return"

What are we doing here-just venting when the powers that be DON'T issue and also venting (and being sarcastic) when they DO issue? What about being glad for incremental progress and working in a constructive way to continue the educational/legal actions?

When we have a chance to personally interact with the issuing agency or comment about them- why not be as civil as we can-do we want to harden or soften issuing agency attitude toward us? Which avenue is more likely to yield results and to help our fellow CalGunners in their efforts to obtain LTC's?

deckhandmike
05-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Was in the class recently and most seemed to be the "regular joe" type. The instructor was saying he's been teaching more classes than he ever has. I guess it's all about the letter you write and your background. The instructor did advise me to look more dressed up when I went to the interview than i was in the class. Easy process, though mine was a shoo in. Everyone was pretty cool at the SLO station and Morro Bay PD was quick about getting me my good intention denial ASAP. Keep your head up folks.

SteveG
05-18-2012, 7:32 AM
Was in the class recently and most seemed to be the "regular joe" type. The instructor was saying he's been teaching more classes than he ever has. I guess it's all about the letter you write and your background. The instructor did advise me to look more dressed up when I went to the interview than i was in the class. Easy process, though mine was a shoo in. Everyone was pretty cool at the SLO station and Morro Bay PD was quick about getting me my good intention denial ASAP. Keep your head up folks.

Good to hear, deckhandmike. Congrats! Can you give us info on how yours was a shoo in?

Thanks!

HarrisHawker
05-21-2012, 6:45 PM

Happy for you! I also (and all here, I'm sure) would-- like SteveG, be interested in hearing some elaboration of the "shoo in" comment? I know we'd ALL like to be shoo-ins!

choprzrul
07-22-2012, 9:48 PM
FYI. Just prepared applications for my wife and I. They will go in the mail tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

I'll keep you posted.

ColdDeadHands1
07-22-2012, 9:54 PM
Good luck. Unfortunately you'll need lots of it.

Dick's Shootin' Irons
07-23-2012, 10:56 AM
choprzrul, good luck. Are you aware that they now require three letters (at least three) of "character reference" from people other than family members? Just found that out last thursday. Dick

choprzrul
07-23-2012, 6:12 PM
choprzrul, good luck. Are you aware that they now require three letters (at least three) of "character reference" from people other than family members? Just found that out last thursday. Dick

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

They don't mention that on their application. (http://www.slosheriff.org/_FAQ/documents/CCW_Internet.pdf)

Anyway, I have no problem gathering 3 letters from highly trusted community leaders. One of which has a LTC from the sheriff.

Dick's Shootin' Irons
08-08-2012, 7:02 PM
Well Choprzul, any news? Hope it is all good.

deckhandmike
08-12-2012, 8:59 PM
As far as "shoo in" I work for an agency that handles criminals. Not a LEO, but work hand in hand.

Chosen_1
08-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Any ETA on getting the good cause statements for SLO?

Excelsior
08-17-2012, 8:30 PM
While there are a lot of those annoying wannabe hippies and know it all college students in this town, it is a really great town. Then, if you need to vent, just drive a few miles up the 1 and go to one of the many matches held at SLOSA every weekend. I have never lived so close to such an active sporting club. They do matches of Trap, Skeet, IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, Steel Challenge, SASS, 3-gun, Take-5 Rimfire, High Power Rifle, Tactical, and I'm sure there's a couple more I'm missing. Point being, there's plenty of fun to be had in SLO for a gunnie and if these hopes of a more fair CCW issuance policy eventually come to fruition that will just be icing on the cake.

"Wanna hippies?" Hmmm...

The real plague here on the Central Coast is white trash from the San Joaquin Valley with their Confederate Battle Flags and "visitors" from the north and south.

Jack L
08-18-2012, 6:24 AM
Ian Parkinson now requires three character reference letters to renew or obtain your LTC. Now that you know this in advance you can seek out people that look good on paper and are known in the community like gun store owners, LTC instructors, battalion chiefs (fire cops), LEOs, doctors, lawyers, Indian Chiefs and Candlestick Makers.

Just a heads up to be prepared. You also get to face to face wiith the new undersheriff.... Good Luck!

cosmos7
08-19-2012, 2:35 PM
Any ETA on getting the good cause statements for SLO?

I really want to see them... they wanted $2K in copy costs when I tried to get a copy.

Breadfan
09-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Any news on getting the good cause statements for SLO

scotts_4x
11-11-2012, 9:09 PM
Any recent news on good cause statements?

-scott

Excelsior
11-13-2012, 10:24 PM

If someone is upset by something someone else posts and they have absolutely no reason to be upset, their default action on these forums seems to be to label the other person a "troll."

Very sad but true...

Hopalong
11-14-2012, 5:34 AM
I just renewed a couple months ago

Excelsior
11-16-2012, 12:46 PM

You have been denied 3 times and you think you might actually be approved on your 4th attempt? What makes you believe that? Or do you just want to engage in some theatrics?

Based on the tenor of your posts I suspect your applications/interviews have quite an edge to them. The sort of edge that gets you rejected.

I think the best way to handle a CCW application would be to handle it like a job interview. Prepared, serious, humble. It doesn't sound like your ego allows you to do that. You want to "demand your rights" and all that ends-up doing is ensuring that you are rejected once more.

HarrisHawker
11-19-2012, 6:28 PM

Can you tell us if it is true SD demanded 3 letters of reference for them to consider/process your renewal?

Hopalong
11-20-2012, 5:33 AM
Can you tell us if it is true SD demanded 3 letters of reference for them to consider/process your renewal?
I did not need any letters to renew.

HarrisHawker
11-20-2012, 7:53 PM
I did not need any letters to renew.

Good to know. Evidently there is a lot of unsubstantiated information being thrown about on this thread along with a fair amount of general "doom and gloom" about the process of obtaining/renewing LTC. Nice to hear some positive info for a change! I realize we are not there yet as far as good cause but any encouraging info is a plus to my mind. Congrats on your drama-free renewal.

Excelsior
11-24-2012, 9:38 PM
My GC was (not verbatim but the gist...) I live in a remote corner of the County and am often in even more remote areas practicing my sport that I have engaged in for the last 35+ years (look at my avatar and you will figure out my sport) on lands I have permission to be on, and at times have been accosted on those lands by people who do NOT have permission to be there-and would like the means to be my own 1st responder since I am far from timely response from LEA.

If you're on private land with permission, why the need for a license?

HarrisHawker
11-26-2012, 7:59 PM
If you're on private land with permission, why the need for a license?

Short answer: Permission to be there notwithstanding: It's not MY land.

Long answer: Quote from Cal CCW info website: "A person’s place of business, residence, temporary residence, campsite, or private property
may be located in areas where possession of handguns or other firearms, whether loaded or
unloaded, is otherwise prohibited. Such areas include, but are not limited to, state, federal, or private
game reserves or refuges, federal and state parks, and other public lands. Questions regarding the
applicability of such laws should be directed to your sheriff or chief of police, federal or state fish and game officers, or federal or state park rangers."
PC 26200.

So-kind of a gray area-it's always OK of course to carry in/on your OWN home and property-but it's not quite as clear-cut as to the legality of CCW on OTHER peoples land-even if you have permission to be there for other reasons.

With a CCW - unless it's POSTED unlawful to carry-moot point.

Jack L
12-01-2012, 7:11 AM

Good deal Hop. I'm up in March. The three letters info was concerning first time applicants and that came from someone who spoke directly with the undersheriff. No idea if it came to pass or not. I think Ian is fair and probably reassessing CA law verses what the sheriffs used to do disregarding the law because they got away with it.

If I lived in the city limits, I'd go straight to the SO and have one really darn good professionally written good cause filled out. First time communication means a lot even if you think you do not need one because of your politics.

SO has never came out to my land when I am shooting. All my neighbors discharge firearms of all types. Sighting in new optics on a few firearms can take a long time if you really are testing out distances and want to be dead on accurate. Even with an all day shoot going on no SO has ever came to see what is going on. The SLOC SO is really busy and usually has no time to be driving out in the boonies 45 minutes from their bulk of calls. I may be lucky but all the deputies I have talked with and even worked with on calls were not out to hassle law abiding citizens who enjoy shooting sports and self defense practice.

SteveG
12-02-2012, 9:00 PM

The current application clearly states on the first page that at least 3 character reference letters are required when the application is submitted.

The application online is out of date... the Permits Dept. will gladly mail you or print you an application for pick up.

HarrisHawker
12-04-2012, 3:59 PM
The current application clearly states on the first page that at least 3 character reference letters are required when the application is submitted.

The application online is out of date... the Permits Dept. will gladly mail you or print you an application for pick up.

I know- I was speaking about not the INITIAL application but the RENEWAL process, based on this info from Jack L's earlier post:

"Ian Parkinson now requires three character reference letters to renew or obtain your LTC."

Jack amended this in his last post -"Good deal Hop. I'm up in March. The three letters info was concerning first time applicants and that came from someone who spoke directly with the undersheriff."

I was concerned not with the initial application but the renewal, evidently there was some confusion/misinformation about that that Hopalong cleared up since he needed no letters of reference to renew.

Good deal!

slosurfer
01-08-2013, 2:05 PM
Any new news on the LTC front here in SLO? I just signed up as a volunteer per this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=353115 Would really like to get my LTC this year.

Moto4Fun
01-24-2013, 1:27 PM
I just submitted my application. I downloaded it and the instructions from the link on the Sheriff's Department website. It doesn't say anything about the letters on it, so I did not submit any. I followed the directions to a T. When I submitted it it, the lady who took it helped photocopy the various proofs of residence that I supplied, and she didn't say anything about the letters. We will see what happens. If the letters are required, I am sure I will be contacted, and I have people in mind that can provide them.

Moto4Fun
01-30-2013, 6:09 PM
I received a letter back from the Sheriff's department today. It stated that my application has not been processed for the following reasons:
-per new policy, a max of 2 weapons may be listed on license.
-missing a letter from SLOPD that the department does not issue CCW permit because your residency is within the city limit.
-missing 3 letters of character reference from individuals other than relatives.

I guess I have some homework to do.

Jack L
02-14-2013, 7:33 AM
If the on line application does not state you need the letters, then bring that to SLOSO attention.

I'm up for renewal and the letter does not state I need any letters, only to requalify in class and at the range. . Once you get in the system it appears you are go to go from then on.

UPDATE

Renewal finished. Took Ian's class and qualified at the range. All the renewals had to shoot and that included retired DA's and people who have had a SLOC LTC for 20 years in my class. We did not need the letters for renewal and did not have a face to face with the undersheriff. Ian's class was well worth the cost and time. He's a real pro, A+

Moto4Fun
05-31-2013, 10:25 AM
I received my denial letter this week. I did not meet the "good moral character" requirement.

Ford8N
05-31-2013, 9:08 PM
I received my denial letter this week. I did not meet the "good moral character" requirement.

What does that mean? Moral character?

Excelsior
05-31-2013, 9:18 PM

Really? :confused: How come (if it's not personal)?

Moto4Fun
06-01-2013, 9:36 PM
I listed in full all previous legal issues that I have had. Nearly 20 years ago I was cited with possession of marijuana, but not convicted (took a program). I had a trespassing and littering conviction as well. All were in college, and if I was given the chance to explain these things on my record, it should be quite clear that they were silly and not reflective of my morality. The trouble is, I was never interviewed by anyone. I knew going in to it that my colorful past might be an issue.

deckhandmike
06-08-2013, 5:04 PM
Well, thanks at least for being honest and open in your attempt. Might save some fellow members some wasted effort in the future knowing how strict SLO was. Maybe some day CA will go shall issue.

Ford8N
06-09-2013, 5:05 AM
In SLO county you have to be politically connected or somehow involved socially /professionally connected to law enforcement to get a CCW. You could walk on water like Jesus Christ and will still get denied a CCW. Just the way it is in SLO county.

Excelsior
06-09-2013, 7:54 AM
In SLO county you have to be politically connected or somehow involved socially /professionally connected to law enforcement to get a CCW. You could walk on water like Jesus Christ and will still get denied a CCW. Just the way it is in SLO county.

That's not true, but you do need a plausible reason.

Ford8N
06-09-2013, 12:07 PM
That's not true, but you do need a plausible reason.

Self defense. I play and work in remote areas. I buy things with cash. I own expensive things. I work at night sometimes. I travel through high crime areas. There have been burglaries in my neighborhood. blah blah blah. ect.....

Chosen_1
06-11-2013, 7:58 AM
So, let's say I live in an unincorporated part of the county, but am attending Cal Poly. I want to get an 07 FFL so I can build CA legal AKs for sale. How good are my chances if I give some reason like, "I manufacture semi auto rifles on a small scale which may make me a target of criminal activity. I want to make sure these guns don't fall into the wrong hands."?

ColdDeadHands1
06-11-2013, 8:51 AM
So, let's say I live in an unincorporated part of the county, but am attending Cal Poly. I want to get an 07 FFL so I can build CA legal AKs for sale. How good are my chances if I give some reason like, "I manufacture semi auto rifles on a small scale which may make me a target of criminal activity. I want to make sure these guns don't fall into the wrong hands."?

The problem with your approach is that you are injecting logic into the discussion. Your Anti Sheriff will simply inform you to choose a different profession and reject your application. You really think that getting involved in the firearm industry is a good way to convince Antis to allow you to carry a firearm? :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

deckhandmike
06-11-2013, 10:32 AM
If you get an 07 FFL first I think you would have very good chances.

Ford8N
06-11-2013, 9:40 PM

Good idea but you would have to get the county to give you a business permit and it would have to take place on a legally zoned piece of land. Way before you get an FFL or DOJ permit to manufacture. SLO county is not business friendly let alone firearms friendly. But I wish you luck, I've thought about it too.

Excelsior
06-11-2013, 10:05 PM

Good luck getting the FFL.

That said, if you actually had an FFL and a state tax resale #, and a place of biz (which the FFL would pretty much require) it might very well increase your chances of being approved for a CCW permit.

Barnstormer
06-12-2013, 6:14 PM

I’m not sure if your goal is to have a small business (FFL related) or get a CCW in SLO County. It’s not hard to obtain a CCW here, but you must have a legitimate “good cause” in mind. If you’re serious about the FFL business, I would first check to see if the zoning is correct in your neighborhood, by contacting your local government's agencies (such as the county's business office or department of commerce) in order to find out exact regulations for your type of business dealing. Opening this type of business 100 yards from a school zone would be a definite no-no. Picking the minds of your neighbors would be time well spent; if they object to firearms, they could cause you hours of agony in the county offices. Requirements for applying for the FFL do not vary from state to state, as the licenses are governed by a federal organization, but regulations (county or state) for using your FFL will vary greatly. If you’re successful in getting the business off the ground, the CCW may follow closely behind. Hypothetically using a business plan to obtain your CCW is wasted time. It won’t fly. Business idea sounds great though; good luck.

Easy E
07-01-2013, 7:01 PM
I inquired as to Grover Beach's CCW policy... they gave it to me at the PD counter. I filled out an app & the chief said... "why don't you just let me give it a preliminary look & it might save you some application money." So I filled it out & let him have it. (sounds like I filled it out quick like... but I spent a good 30 hours crafting it... and had some helpful input from other forum members) A week later I went in to see him & he told me he wouldn't issue. I asked for a denial letter & he said sure.

I then filled out the SLOSD's application & submitted it with my three letters of character reference... and a county recognized course holder's certificate for 8-hr course completion.

I just got the letter back from the under-sheriff, pointing at PC 26155... and how they don't have an agreement to process "ALL" applications from the city... so, basically 'sorry'... and contact your local PD.

I'm confused... I thought the PD route was basically a courtesy... following up the chain of command... and because the Sheriff likes to see the denial letter.

It seems as though the SLOSD should be following PC 26150, regardless of any flexibility PC 26155 offers the local PD. PC links (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=26001-27000&file=26150-26225)

Thanks in advance if you can offer me a suggestion... grounds for re-consideration (for actually approving CCW or denying me based on cause/character).

Barnstormer
07-01-2013, 8:23 PM
I inquired as to Grover Beach's CCW policy... they gave it to me at the PD counter. I filled out an app & the chief said... "why don't you just let me give it a preliminary look & it might save you some application money." So I filled it out & let him have it. (sounds like I filled it out quick like... but I spent a good 30 hours crafting it... and had some helpful input from other forum members) A week later I went in to see him & he told me he wouldn't issue. I asked for a denial letter & he said sure.

I then filled out the SLOSD's application & submitted it with my three letters of character reference... and a county recognized course holder's certificate for 8-hr course completion.

I just got the letter back from the under-sheriff, pointing at PC 26155... and how they don't have an agreement to process "ALL" applications from the city... so, basically 'sorry'... and contact your local PD.

I'm confused... I thought the PD route was basically a courtesy... following up the chain of command... and because the Sheriff likes to see the denial letter.

It seems as though the SLOSD should be following PC 26150, regardless of any flexibility PC 26155 offers the local PD. PC links (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=26001-27000&file=26150-26225)

Thanks in advance if you can offer me a suggestion... grounds for re-consideration (for actually approving CCW or denying me based on cause/character).

There are two cities in San Luis Obispo County that haven’t entered into an agreement with the Sheriff to issue CCW permits to citizens of their city. I thought they were AG and Paso Robles, but perhaps Grover is included. The Sheriff is not going to override the Grover Beach Police Chief and step on his/her toes. It sounds like your Chief of Police reviewed your application and didn’t accept your GC statement. Unless you have a questionable background, that’s about the only thing on the application they can use as a determining factor.

The Undersheriff (Tim Olivas) is a pretty straight-forward guy and will not give you any false information or lead you astray. If your city has decided to not issue permits and turn the task over to the Sheriff, they would or should have issued you a denial letter without any questions. They would not have wasted their time reviewing your application.

It’s not that the Sheriff likes to see the denial letter; he requires it with the initial application. He must have it in writing, that your local PD doesn’t issue permits to CCW. You didn’t mention including the letter with your application. Was the Undersheriff’s only issue with your denial letter?

The firearm safety course certificate isn’t required during the initial contact. Usually everyone waits until they get an acceptance letter before completing the course; it saves you some money in case you are denied a permit after they review your application.

If you’re not sure about the agreement process between Grover Beach and the SLOSD, call the sheriff’s office and ask.

Also, when I turned in my course certificate, one of the course providers was in question (might not be acceptable). Things change in the decision making process and the order that you complete the tasks, could be important. Good luck.

KC

Easy E
07-01-2013, 8:53 PM
KC,
I understand there *can be* an agreement between a city and the sheriff... to process all applications... i.e. the city is too busy... or wants to control what's in their limits.

The referenced PC sections don't imply there *must* be an agreement for the Sheriff to process an application from a municipality.... seems to be just an option for a city. I didn't get the clarity from your response. Please provide it if you can... and/or I'll try to get it from the SD as you suggest & post back.

The undersheriff stated no issues with my application... other than the 'agreement' not being in place.

I wanted to get some formal training & figured I might as well potentially kill two birds. The course was at "the gun school" in S.M.... and was very good. Offered us the opportunity to qualify under two different methods... one being easier & one being more difficult. We brought enough ammo to do both. Nice course.
-E

Barnstormer
07-02-2013, 9:48 PM
KC,
I understand there *can be* an agreement between a city and the sheriff... to process all applications... i.e. the city is too busy... or wants to control what's in their limits.

The referenced PC sections don't imply there *must* be an agreement for the Sheriff to process an application from a municipality.... seems to be just an option for a city. I didn't get the clarity from your response. Please provide it if you can... and/or I'll try to get it from the SD as you suggest & post back.

The undersheriff stated no issues with my application... other than the 'agreement' not being in place.

I wanted to get some formal training & figured I might as well potentially kill two birds. The course was at "the gun school" in S.M.... and was very good. Offered us the opportunity to qualify under two different methods... one being easier & one being more difficult. We brought enough ammo to do both. Nice course.
-E

E, I don’t think the authors of PC 26155 intended to be that specific, as far as who the IA should or shouldn't be. They left the interpretation up to the law enforcement personal involved in that locality. I think they assumed that urban dwellers would first apply in the city of residency and rural dwellers would go directly to the county. That apparently is how the issue is approached in SLO County; city folks must first apply in their respective cities and if they don’t issue, they must apply to the County level. The lack of clarity in PC 26155 indicates this may be an example of a “Gentleman’s Agreement”.

In PC 26155(a) it states, “…, the chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county may issue a license to that person”. The first choice is “municipal chief” followed by the IA of that county. The county permits tend to be ‘restriction free’, where as the city permits can contain area limitations (work or bank and return); not something you want on your permit.

26200. (a) A license issued pursuant to this article may include any reasonable restrictions or conditions that the issuing authority deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under which the licensee may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(b) Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be indicated on any license issued.

I considered going to the training facility in SMX before applying for my permit, but hesitated at the last minute. Although they state it is approved in SLO County, I wanted to hear that from the IA. As it turned out, the SMX course provider was not one of the four approved by the SLOSD. That's not to say they would refuse the course, but they weren't on the list.

26165. (a) For new license applicants, the course of training for issuance of a license under Section 26150 or 26155 may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority.

I realize I may not have answered your concerns; the best thing is to get the most up-to-date and specific information from the SLOSD. Good luck

KC

Moto4Fun
07-09-2013, 11:59 AM

While I know that this seems to be the case; I have heard otherwise. But apparently there is a tough standard to meet. It should be noted that I was denied because of my good cause (or lack of) but because I didn't meat the criteria (is there actually a criteria?) of good moral character.

deckhandmike
08-23-2013, 4:47 PM
Well here you go guys. It doesn't get broken down any better than this. Seems it's not impossible to get one here. The whole process laid out right in plain sight!

http://www.newtimesslo.com/news/9427/hidden-in-plain-sight/

Ford8N
08-23-2013, 5:44 PM
Well here you go guys. It doesn't get broken down any better than this. Seems it's not impossible to get one here. The whole process laid out right in plain sight!

http://www.newtimesslo.com/news/9427/hidden-in-plain-sight/

Currently, 476 residents—members of the general public, prominent land owners, businesspeople, public officials, family members of high-ranking law enforcement officials, reserve officers, non-sworn police department employees, county employees, and judges—possess concealed-carry permits.

In other words, the elite of SLO county. The rest of us rabble can die or get raped.

deckhandmike
08-23-2013, 5:50 PM
No, read the part about the most common good cause statements. Also look at how few are denied for how many apply. I consider 35 out of 248 being denied or revoked being really good odds.

cosmos7
08-24-2013, 3:38 PM
No, read the part about the most common good cause statements. Also look at how few are denied for how many apply. I consider 35 out of 248 being denied or revoked being really good odds.

You need to read a little bit better... that 248 number includes the renewals, since permits are only good for two years. In the 2011 year that number comes from, 76 of that 248 were new applicants, meaning almost a 50% denial rate.

As of April 1st of this year 79 permits were issued, but only 13 of those were new applicants and there were 12 denials. Again about a 50% denial rate for new applications.

deckhandmike
08-24-2013, 3:57 PM
Reading and math, so over rated.:o I'm still glad to live in a county with a 50% rate. Beats the hell out of 1%.

Ford8N
08-24-2013, 4:04 PM

Ok, my good cause is I carry "large" amounts of money because I might come across a good deal. Ok, I go hiking or mountain biking way up in the hills and there are Mexican cartel drug farmers who want to kill me if I accidentally come across a pot farm. Ok, I work late at night in areas where there has been strong arm robberies and rapes. Ok, I get bad cell phone coverage at my house and areas I travel to and I don't have a land line...ect, ect,ect.... Unless you are one of the elite in SLO county....the sheriff sez "Call 911" if your not already dead.

cosmos7
11-23-2013, 9:24 PM
Denied again... thought I had a decent shot this time, but working nights and traveling around the state with high value equipment wasn't considered good enough just cause... *sigh*.

Guess only the special people get permits.

choprzrul
02-11-2014, 5:33 PM
E, I don’t think the authors of PC 26155 intended to be that specific, as far as who the IA should or shouldn't be. They left the interpretation up to the law enforcement personal involved in that locality. I think they assumed that urban dwellers would first apply in the city of residency and rural dwellers would go directly to the county. That apparently is how the issue is approached in SLO County; city folks must first apply in their respective cities and if they don’t issue, they must apply to the County level. The lack of clarity in PC 26155 indicates this may be an example of a “Gentleman’s Agreement”.

In PC 26155(a) it states, “…, the chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county may issue a license to that person”. The first choice is “municipal chief” followed by the IA of that county. The county permits tend to be ‘restriction free’, where as the city permits can contain area limitations (work or bank and return); not something you want on your permit.

26200. (a) A license issued pursuant to this article may include any reasonable restrictions or conditions that the issuing authority deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under which the licensee may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(b) Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be indicated on any license issued.

I considered going to the training facility in SMX before applying for my permit, but hesitated at the last minute. Although they state it is approved in SLO County, I wanted to hear that from the IA. As it turned out, the SMX course provider was not one of the four approved by the SLOSD. That's not to say they would refuse the course, but they weren't on the list.

26165. (a) For new license applicants, the course of training for issuance of a license under Section 26150 or 26155 may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority.

I realize I may not have answered your concerns; the best thing is to get the most up-to-date and specific information from the SLOSD. Good luck

KC

You are woefully misinformed. Salute v. Pritchess (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=16111191278700729423) is controlling and the Sheriff MUST process ALL applications. Additionally, Guillory v. County of Orange (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6217614771319591527) finds equal protection under the law for similar good cause statements.

This follows this Sheriff's modus operandi to operate as HE sees fit, not as the law and the courts see fit. Trouble is, SLO county is one of, or the most, corrupt county in the nation. Our county grand jury won't protect our Civil Rights, our state's grand jury won't protect our Civil Rights, and we will never get any help out of Obama and Holder in protecting our Civil Rights.

The man is openly operating outside of the law, but still has fanboys singing his praises. Disgusting. The wanton oppression of Civil Rights is tolerated in this county. Utterly disgusting.

HarrisHawker
02-12-2014, 8:38 PM
Barnstormer:I don’t think the authors of PC 26155 intended to be that specific, as far as who the IA should or shouldn't be.

Choprzrul:You are woefully misinformed. Salute v. Pritchess (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=16111191278700729423) is controlling and the Sheriff MUST process ALL applications.

Quote from the Salute v Pritchess decision:

"Section 12050: "(a) The sheriff of a county OR the chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county"....

Chop: can you elaborate on why you think the Sheriff ALONE must process from the facts of this case?

choprzrul
02-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Read the ruling of the court:

It is the duty of the *561 sheriff to
make such an investigation and determination,
on an individual basis, on every application
under section 12050.

Im not sure how any honest person could twist that in any way other than the sheriff must process your application. Adding his own requirement to go through local Cleo is not supported by the law.

HarrisHawker
02-13-2014, 2:34 PM
It seems to this honest person :) that there are two different issues here:

One, raised by Barnstormer-is: is PC 26155 somewhat non-specific as to IA? In other words does it allow for different Law Enforcement Agencies handle CC's? Since section 12050 says Sheriff OR Chief of a Muni....answer seems to be yes.

I would submit the central issue in the case you cite in attempting to set Barnstormer straight was different: The plaintiffs were suing based on their particular issuing authority- the LA Sheriff's- REFUSAL to evaluate the CC application, and the ruling was the Sheriff was shirking his duty to do so. This was the correct ruling, but it could have equally applied to a Chief of a Muni if that is where the applicants had initially applied and were subsequently suing-the ruling was simply specifically addressing the particular agency being sued (in this case LA Sheriff's) lack of action rather than making a blanket statement that ALL Sheriff's at ALL times must process EVERY CC application in their respective counties-if this was the case then no Muni would have any authority to issue on their own-and they in fact do.

choprzrul
02-13-2014, 5:29 PM
If a municipality issues LTC, then they MUST process applications.

Sheriff's departments do not have an option to refuse an application for LTC based upon whether or not you have, or have not, applied to your local chief. The courts decision says that the sheriff MUST process the application.

(2) While a court cannot compel a public officer to exercise his discretion in any particular manner, it may direct him to exercise that discretion. (1b) We regard the case at bench as involving a refusal of the sheriff to exercise the discretion given him by the statute. Section 12050 imposes only three limits on the grant of an application to carry a concealed weapon: the applicant must be of good moral character, show good cause and be a resident of the county. To determine, in advance, as a uniform rule, that only selected public officials can show good cause is to refuse to consider the existence of good cause on the part of citizens generally and is an abuse of, and not an exercise of, discretion.

The petition before us alleges that petitioners are of good moral character and are residents of Los Angeles County. It is admitted that no inquiry into the existence of good cause has ever been made in connection with the application of these petitioners, or of any other applicant outside the limited group of public officials. It is the duty of the sheriff to make such an investigation and determination, on an
individual basis, on every application under section 12050.

HarrisHawker
02-13-2014, 5:53 PM
All valid. It is a given Sheriff must process what Muni refuses to- but Barnstormer was not disputing that-all he was detailing was:

Barnstormer:I don’t think the authors of PC 26155 intended to be that specific, as far as who the IA should or shouldn't be.

So-the fact a Sheriff by law must process what a Muni does not (or initially rejects) does not bear on the fact the IA can be EITHER a Sheriff or a Muni- depending on circumstances-....Barnstormer was speaking about WHO the IA could possibly be is all.

Well- with this news:

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2014/02/12/1056971.pdf

Hopefully soon it will all be moot and we can dispense with our micro-examining each other and throw "good cause" and "good moral character" arbitrary determinations by either Sheriff or Muni in the dustbin where they belong- and become shall issue to ANYONE who is a LAW-ABIDING CITIZEN!:)

choprzrul
02-13-2014, 6:26 PM
SLO residents: PM me with your email address if you want a .pdf of the current SLO Sheriff's LTC application.

As HarrisHawker opined above, hopefully the shelf life of this current application packet is very short....

SLOCO
02-23-2014, 7:18 AM
I wonder when the new application will be out? Is anyone headed down to apply now that the ruling has came down? Keep us in the loop, choprzrul!! I'd like to get an appointment date before the list is too long.

Change
02-25-2014, 2:27 PM
I called today and SLOSO is not changing their CCW process at this time. The person I spoke to mumbled about the CA DOJ and justices, and stated that the CA application form has not changed.

BTW, the CCW form can be found here: http://www.slosheriff.org/_FAQ/Records.aspx

SLOCO
02-26-2014, 8:37 AM
Do we legally have to fill out our County form? I thought the only one legally required was the one that calguns posted. Someone go apply and see what happens! My "moral character" might shoot me in the foot and I'd like to see if we can avoid that question after the Richards case.

EDIT: After reviewing the above application, I can't help but think that it is setup for us to fail. It's 25 pages long!! It asks for my traffic violations, letters from employers or partners, GMC and good cause, and prior arrests plus a load of other crap. How can they require these things when CCW is a basic right given to me? If I wasn't in the public eye I would fight this with a good attorney and set the record straight in SLO.

furyous68
02-26-2014, 8:50 AM
I called today and SLOSO is not changing their CCW process at this time. The person I spoke to mumbled about the CA DOJ and justices, and stated that the CA application form has not changed.

BTW, the CCW form can be found here: http://www.slosheriff.org/_FAQ/Records.aspx

That is an outdated form. Choperzrul picked up an application in person & scanned it. He can forward it to you. They can beat around the bush all they want... but they will have to conform. I just hope a lawsuit won't e required as it's tax-payer's money that will pay for it. :(

Ford8N
02-26-2014, 11:29 AM
SLO Sheriff would prefer that you dial 911 as the criminal shoots you.

robert68
02-28-2014, 5:46 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=13552423#post13552423

I asked Mr copsey, how the recent Appeals Court decision would affect the process here in GB,SLO. I've posted the letter at the above link, with a request for help to discern what is he actually saying.

cosmos7
02-28-2014, 9:08 PM
He's saying he doesn't think the ruling applies to him because he considers "the totality of circumstances in each individual case". Reading between the lines if you put self defense you're going to be asked to justify it, then he's going to deny you.

handirifle
04-01-2014, 2:29 PM
Just stepped into this thread. Is there any new news or decisions? Any positive results we can learn from? Also a SLO county resident, no city involved for me, I am rural.

guntrust
05-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Thinking about setting up another office and part-time residence in SLO County. Any news on SLO issuance or that of city chiefs in Grover Beach, etc?

intense
07-08-2014, 8:23 PM
Any news in SLO county yet?

cosmos7
07-10-2014, 1:44 PM
What sort of news are you looking for? Peruta isn't final, SO hasn't changed his position. If you live further out in county territory you have a fair chance, if you live in an incorporated city your chances are slim to none.

Ford8N
07-10-2014, 4:48 PM
What sort of news are you looking for? Peruta isn't final, SO hasn't changed his position. If you live further out in county territory you have a fair chance, if you live in an incorporated city your chances are slim to none.

Unless you are personal friend of the Sheriff's inner circle. Otherwise you are "little people".

intense
07-11-2014, 8:25 PM

Yep live in the county but in Arroyo Grande outside city limits, Is Ian actually issuing permits?

NeverlosT
08-29-2014, 6:09 PM
SLO resident going to apply in the next few weeks. I printed what is probably the old application, so I am going to cruise by the sheriffs department and see if there is a new one for me to take home.

No felonies, no traffic issues, former TS/SCI clearance so you know my background is solid.

I currently work inside the SLO city limits but we are moving and will soon be outside SLO city limits. So I can probably state coming/going early/late outside city limits, with valuables, in addition to the transporting to and from range worries. Heck there was a shooting right down the street the other day, I have to think that they can't just maintain that a person might not need to be able to defend themselves.

Thoughts? Advise? I have been training with firearms for the better part of my years, and with my background, I have to think that if I can't get a CCW, then no normal Joe is getting one (unless they can prove immediate and consistent mortal danger = impossible).

NeverlosT
09-03-2014, 6:42 AM
nothing huh? No GC letter suggestions? Experiences?

Kosuki
09-21-2014, 1:31 AM
Im looking for slo updates

Atascadero here!

ColdDeadHands1
09-21-2014, 9:32 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=893452

Watch this thread. When it changes there might be something new for SLO.

bm55
11-12-2014, 10:08 AM
How will this affect SLO county?
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/robert-farago/breaking-9th-circuit-court-denies-peruta-appeal-ca-gun-rights-restored/

choprzrul
11-13-2014, 6:54 PM
How will this affect SLO county?
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/robert-farago/breaking-9th-circuit-court-denies-peruta-appeal-ca-gun-rights-restored/

Why would a sheriff that ignores an entire Constitutional Amendment pay any attention to some appeals court decision?

NeverlosT
11-20-2014, 9:01 PM
If LA is getting close to issuing, SLO cant be that far behind. We are pretty left, but not San Francisco left.

here's hoping...

b140a67
02-28-2015, 1:40 PM
*NEW* SLO COUNTY APPLICATION (dated December 16, 2014):
http://new.slosheriff.org/images/cms/files/CCW%20Application.pdf

Doesn't this conflict with Lu v. Baca (https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/2014/01/calguns-foundation-wins-handgun-carry-lawsuit-los-angeles-sheriffs-department-sheriff-lee-baca/)?
"If the applicant lives in an incorporated city within the County, they must first apply through the local police department."

furyous68
02-28-2015, 2:26 PM
*NEW* SLO COUNTY APPLICATION (dated December 16, 2014):
http://new.slosheriff.org/images/cms/files/CCW%20Application.pdf

Doesn't this conflict with Lu v. Baca (https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/2014/01/calguns-foundation-wins-handgun-carry-lawsuit-los-angeles-sheriffs-department-sheriff-lee-baca/)?
"If the applicant lives in an incorporated city within the County, they must first apply through the local police department."

Nothing "NEW" about this application. Looks like the same application they've been using for the last several years. Still asking for 3 character references (letters), still asking for a reason other than self-defense (though it seems they worded it differently, they are still asking for evidence of the need for self-defense), still making you apply to the City PD first (illegal), and still denying 90% of applications.

Strykeback
03-01-2015, 11:58 AM
Has anything changed here? Have worked with people living in smaller cities of the county like Nipomo and Arroyo Grande, and they had just been to a meeting where the sheriff walks them thru properly filling out their ccw applications and good causes to list and what to do from there.

Noticed a part on the application where if you spend a significant amount of time or work in San Luis County then you could apply. I'm going to try since I can't even get a call or email returned from Santa Barbara county or Santa Maria PD

Paladin
03-01-2015, 1:23 PM
Has anything changed here? Have worked with people living in smaller cities of the county like Nipomo and Arroyo Grande, and they had just been to a meeting where the sheriff walks them thru properly filling out their ccw applications and good causes to list and what to do from there.
From a .pdf for the sheriff's FAQ on CCWs (at the bottom of http://www.slosheriff.org/forms_and_applications.php):

A Concealed Weapon License shall not be granted merely for the personal convenience of the applicant. A position or job classification in itself should not constitute good cause for the issuance or denial of a license. Each application shall be individually reviewed for cause.

<snip>

Each new applicant must demonstrate proof of residence by some type of recognized identification card or driver’s license, and at least one canceled item of current mail (with your name and street address). New applicants are requested to provide at least 3 signed letters of character reference from individuals other than relatives.[that's part of GMC]

If the CCW license is desired for self-protection, the protection of others, or for the protection of large sums of money or valuable property, you are required to explain and provide good cause pursuant to Penal Code Section 26150 for issuance of the license. For example, has your life or property been threatened or jeopardized? Explain incidents and include dates, times, locations, and names of police agencies to which these incidents were reported. [that's GC]

Sounds like he's an anti to me....

Noticed a part on the application where if you spend a significant amount of time or work in San Luis County then you could apply. I'm going to try since I can't even get a call or email returned from Santa Barbara county or Santa Maria PD
I think that is for a Business based CCW permit, which are valid for only 90 days at a time....

Strykeback
03-01-2015, 1:51 PM
Well damn that ruins my afternoon. I'm going to research fuller and try to speak to someone on Monday and see if I have any options.

Thanks for your input.

b140a67
03-01-2015, 4:25 PM
Nothing "NEW" about this application. Looks like the same application they've been using for the last several years.

Hmmm... okay. Well the date the PDF was created is new. The newspaper is reporting the requirement to apply with your city PD first as a policy change:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/02/27/3511578_concealed-carry-gun-permits.html

"Since 2006, the Sheriff’s Office has processed all applications for permits in unincorporated areas of the county as well as in the cities of San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay and Atascadero. Other cities in the county traditionally have processed their own.

But due to an anticipated increase in workload and the possibility of lawsuits, all cities will now handle their own permit applications. The Sheriff’s Office will continue to process applications from residents in unincorporated areas."

cosmos7
03-01-2015, 6:42 PM
Well damn that ruins my afternoon. I'm going to research fuller and try to speak to someone on Monday and see if I have any options.

You don't have any options. Even if SLO Sheriff was liberal in issuance (which he isn't), as was pointed out above as a non-resident of the county a 90-day temporary permit for business purposes is the best you could hope to achieve.

Strykeback
03-01-2015, 6:45 PM
Ok. I guess we continue to wait. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Paladin
03-01-2015, 7:48 PM
Hmmm... okay. Well the date the PDF was created is new. The newspaper is reporting the requirement to apply with your city PD first as a policy change:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/02/27/3511578_concealed-carry-gun-permits.html

"Since 2006, the Sheriff’s Office has processed all applications for permits in unincorporated areas of the county as well as in the cities of San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay and Atascadero. Other cities in the county traditionally have processed their own.

But due to an anticipated increase in workload and the possibility of lawsuits, all cities will now handle their own permit applications. The Sheriff’s Office will continue to process applications from residents in unincorporated areas."

The article goes on to say, "Should an applicant be denied a permit, they can still appeal a city’s decision to the Sheriff’s Office." Hmmm.

b140a67
03-01-2015, 8:38 PM
"Should an applicant be denied a permit, they can still appeal a city’s decision to the Sheriff’s Office." Hmmm.

Yup. You first get to waste a couple months and a couple hundred bucks getting denied from some city chief.

Strykeback
03-01-2015, 8:48 PM
How do they get to take your money knowing they won't approve you?!

cosmos7
03-01-2015, 9:13 PM
Most agencies don't take fees up front from what I've seen. In fact many want to pre-screen before they even give up the actual application.

cheezerman
03-07-2015, 1:01 PM
Interesting news...
KEYT | San Luis Obispo County Sees Rise in Concealed Weapons Applications (http://m.keyt.com/news/San-Luis-Obispo-County-Sees-Rise-in-Concealed-Weapons-Applications/31598174)
Citing a heavier workload, the Sheriff's Department has stopped processing concealed weapons applications for San Luis Obispo, Atascadero and Morro Bay as of February 15th.

With 571 Concealed weapons licenses already active, the Sheriff's Department will still process applications from unincorporated areas in the county.

Strykeback
03-07-2015, 1:09 PM
Saw that as well. Most see it as a bad thing let alone an illegal thing. Trying to divert decisions from elected officials.

Paladin
03-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Saw that as well. Most see it as a bad thing let alone an illegal thing. Trying to divert decisions from elected officials.
Now you have to pressure your city council member who will then, if they're pro-CCW, pressure your city's CoP. If you get a small, group of activists in your city organized, you may be able to get your CoP to readily issue vs. having to get the sheriff of the entire county to liberalize his policy.

Strykeback
03-08-2015, 1:13 PM
That will work for the more conservative areas like Atascadero and paso robles. No such luck with slo

MrAnderson87
03-22-2015, 3:32 PM
Grover Beach resident here. I'd love to get my training in and apply but from what ive heard its basically a waste of money. Personal Protection doesnt justify issuance. My buddies dad is a Veteran and they have deined him three times.

MrAnderson87
03-23-2015, 5:32 PM
if anyone with a ccw in this county has any "tips" on being accepted id much enjoy them

cosmos7
03-25-2015, 7:13 PM
Live in an unincorporated area where you can claim increased response times. Or tell them you like to fly your hawk around on private property. Either seems to work.

MrAnderson87
03-26-2015, 4:30 PM
well **** I live in the city and don't own a hawk... how much does a hawk go for these days? altho im sure theres some law agaisnt me owning one

pasowino
04-05-2015, 2:07 PM
When I met with the under-sheriff, the one thing he seemed to like on my application was that I owned a rental property and handle large sums of cash when collecting first+last months rent. All the other stuff about self defense he didn't care for. The people in the permit office are really nice and I'm sure treating them fairly might go a long ways too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sloGuns
05-29-2015, 2:18 PM
Has anyone had a recent experience applying for a CCW in SLO County? They just switched over from the Sheriff's Office processing all applications to each police department issuing CCWs.

Strykeback
05-29-2015, 3:06 PM
Yeah good luck with that. Will only be worse now since it's a city employee rather then someone elected by the people

cosmos7
06-01-2015, 2:46 AM
Has anyone had a recent experience applying for a CCW in SLO County? They just switched over from the Sheriff's Office processing all applications to each police department issuing CCWs.

This is illegal. If the sheriff issues period (and he's required to), while he may refer you to the local department he cannot require it. See Lu v. Baca.

robert68
06-01-2015, 4:32 PM
If I sponsor a draw Muhammad cartoon contest, can I claim ISIS is coming?

robert68
06-01-2015, 4:33 PM
This is illegal. If the sheriff issues period (and he's required to), while he may refer you to the local department he cannot require it. See Lu v. Baca.
It's been a while since I read it, bit I think the sheriff can require you to be rejected by city first