PDA

View Full Version : San Joaquin - *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Gray Peterson
10-14-2010, 10:56 PM
UPDATE (2014 April 11): It's time to apply!

We have confirmed that active CCW's have been issued purely for "self defense" and "personal protection" and are now active since the Peruta case

The sheriff now accepts "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause.

Good Cause: Applicants must establish that good cause exist to support a request for a license to carry a concealed weapon. Personal protection or self defense is sufficient to establish good cause.
http://www.sjgov.org/sheriff/ccwRequirements.htm

Please help us spread the word - we need everyone to apply!

End of update.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Download, complete and print the DOJ Standard Application here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf.
a. Structure your good cause statement as either a) “I wish to acquire a firearm carry permit for the purpose of self-defense”, or b) if you have a good cause which approximates one from those we posted here, you can state the same good cause (as long as it’s truthful – it’s a crime to lie on the application).
b. DO NOT SIGN the application; you will sign when you turn it in and SJSO will witness/countersign.
Make two checks or money orders out to “San Joaquin Sheriff’s Office” in the amount of $19.00 and $120.00, respectively. (make sure to put the check numbers in the cover letter under “enclosures” and in the transmittal letter).
Complete the missing information in the cover letter (attached), print, and sign.
Complete the letter of transmittal (attached) and print 2 copies (one for you, one for them), making sure to date the top for the date of your appointment.
Scan all documents.
Contact Sgt. John Palmer and schedule a time to drop off your application and be fingerprinted.
Drop off your cover letter, application, and check. Have Sgt. Palmer or another SJSO representative sign, print name, title and date your letter of transmittal and TAKE THIS COPY HOME.
a. Point of information: their 90-day deadline clock starts on this date.
Scan your signed letter of transmittal.
Email me your scans.
Keep me posted!

vietfrost
10-27-2010, 7:25 PM
What San Joaquin's policy on issuing ccw? Has anyone else gotten theirs here?

wildhawker
10-27-2010, 7:35 PM
I should have San Joaquin good cause statements online by next weekend.

Kid Stanislaus
10-27-2010, 9:08 PM
My information is that getting a CCW in San Joaquin Co. is tough as nails, HOWEVER, now that Sacramento Co. and Stanislaus Co. have come around then perhaps SJ Co. will soon follow.

Mstrty
10-28-2010, 3:58 PM
My Father just left the SO. He arrived there to find out the process and/or pick up and application. He was told that he would need to call and scheduale an appt. for an interview with Detective Palmer. Detective Palmer is on vacation for 2 weeks and to try back then. I will keep you updated.

Nor-Cal
10-28-2010, 4:12 PM
My information is that getting a CCW in San Joaquin Co. is tough as nails, HOWEVER, now that Sacramento Co. and Stanislaus Co. have come around then perhaps SJ Co. will soon follow.

I hope so because I look foward to applying for my ccw in the near future!

vietfrost
10-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I was hoping things have changed. I can't find any info on the current san joaquin sheriff's stand on ccw.

wildhawker
10-29-2010, 1:30 AM
I was hoping things have changed. I can't find any info on the current san joaquin sheriff's stand on ccw.

We can't discuss anything yet, but know that both known "good cause" statements and some backstory will be available within a week or so.

Silent_Combatant
11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
good info

Gray Peterson
11-10-2010, 5:19 PM
I applied for a CCW in 2007. I was told to go to my local police chief first, then they would take my application at the SO if I was denied. So... I requested an application from the police chief...I received a letter 10 days later telling me that the chief in my town does not approve any CCW applications...period...so don't even bother applying!

I took the letter to the SO and was given a CCW application. After completing the application (and paying the requisite fees), surviving what I interpreted as a character interview with an officer, submitting my fingerprints (more fees) and meeting once again with a sergeant to discuss my background (squeaky clean), I received a call from the Sheriff's secretary. I was told the Sheriff wanted to meet with me. I assumed this meeting would be an opportunity for the Sheriff to personally review my character and motivations/reasons for obtaining a CCW.

I showed up on time to meet with the Sheriff and was ushered into a conference room by Sheriff Moore. He quickly told me that he was denying my application. He refused to give me any specific reason for the denial other than telling me that he saw no clear and present threat upon my life. He went on to say he would grant a CCW to anyone that was "one step above a normal citizen". I asked him to define "one step above a normal citizen"...but he danced around the issue. Then it seemed as though he was giving me a campaign speech. He made it a point to tell me that he is a card carrying member of the NRA and that he supports the 2nd amendment.

I have often wondered why he wasted our time, just to deny my application. Surely he has better things to do...I know I do!

Hoo boy. Sounds like some real problems here. Seems that some people like to ride NRA coattails and don't hold up their end of the bargain.

Purple K
11-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I have two older brothers in Stockton, both are former Reserve Police Officers. Since leaving the force, both have been denied CCW's. I'm sure that they'll both be Calgunners soon.

Kid Stanislaus
11-10-2010, 11:04 PM
YO-YO, "one step above a normal citizens" means he expects a donation to his campaign fund. How much is the CCW worth to you?!!

1norcalvarmintHunter
11-11-2010, 12:22 PM
i have been a stockton res, for 29 years. I would hope i can get a CCW especially since the police budget cuts and city's issue of insolvency. Bottom line its a very criminally active city.

Southwest Chuck
11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
We can't discuss anything yet, but know that both known "good cause" statements and some backstory will be available within a week or so.

Wildhawker....Any info available yet? It's been not 1 but "2 weeks" (:D) since your post. I've got a cousin that lives in Lodi and is very interested in getting his CCW. I'm forwarding this thread to him and I'm sure we'll have a new Calguns member shortly. :thumbsup: and a tip of the hat to you for all your hard work !

wildhawker
11-15-2010, 1:14 PM
The delay is my fault, but should be rectified soon.

DRAB_81
11-17-2010, 12:13 PM
. I've got a cousin that lives in Lodi and is very interested in getting his CCW.

If he lives in the city limits, he's got an extremely slim chance. I was denied even being given an application. I was told to call the man who handles CCW's for the city, and after a 5 minute phone conversation, I was denied the application.

CpuFixrMan
11-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Fortunately (?) for me, I live in a city with SJCSO contracted services. Lathrop has no city police force and therefore relies on contracted services from the county. I'm eager to hear when I should try applying for my CCW as I will need to apply direct to the SO for this.

dantodd
11-17-2010, 1:32 PM
The sheriff must take your application if you live in the county, they may not refer you to you local city. If that happens contact Gray.

wildhawker
11-17-2010, 1:54 PM
SJCo good cause statements are in hand, scanning tomorrow and redacting Fri-Sat.

Sheriff Moore must accept all applications. They are acutely aware of this (I had a face-to-face meeting at their office yesterday).

-Brandon

fw10ring
11-17-2010, 3:10 PM
SJCo good cause statements are in hand, scanning tomorrow and redacting Fri-Sat.

Sheriff Moore must accept all applications. They are acutely aware of this (I had a face-to-face meeting at their office yesterday).

-Brandon

THANK YOU!

G17GUY
11-17-2010, 8:58 PM

-Brandon

WTF, how do you do it?

twist his arm?:p

wildhawker
11-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Residents of San Joaquin County:

CGF needs your assistance in a Initiative-related action ASAP. We're looking for volunteers who are free from prohibiting conditions (preferably free of LE encounters/incidents, arrests, and extensive traffic moving violations, but do go ahead and sign up regardless as we need a diverse cross-section of volunteers for the various upcoming activities). We would especially appreciate your participation if you are a resident of an incorporated city within San Joaquin County (http://www.sjgov.org/dynamic.aspx?id=6556), but all who reside within the county should please go ahead and confidently sign up to assist (www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer). Anyone who's been denied by SJ County (or a city within the county) within the past 2-3 years should also definitely contact us. Also, make sure you pass this info along to your friends and family who might be interested in helping the cause.

If you're looking to get involved and make a real contribution towards advancing our Second Amendment rights in San Joaquin County and throughout California, head over to CGF's volunteer page, fill out a simple one page form and submit it securely to us, or email your information per the below to volunteer@calgunsfoundation.org.

Here's what we need to get started:

Last Name
First Name
City
County
Zip Code
Email Address
Phone
CGN Username (if any)
Carry license (CCW) holder (past/present)?
Carry license (CCW) denials?

If you already emailed or submitted your info to us, look for an email from me soon (you may already have one as you're reading this post; if you don't, please do reach out via PM or email).

Thanks for your continuing support of CGF's ongoing carry-advancing efforts. Please do consider sponsoring your county (http://www.cgfstore.org/) and reaching out to your favorite SJ County FFL to urge their support of our Carry License Reform and Sunshine Initiative (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative). Freedom isn't free, and we appreciate your consideration in this regard.

-Brandon

siliconphreak
11-18-2010, 7:20 AM
This mean we should go out in force and apply for a ccw?

Stockton
11-18-2010, 7:47 AM
I've downloaded all docs and have registered as a volunteer.

wildhawker
11-18-2010, 10:07 AM
This mean we should go out in force and apply for a ccw?

Please just sign up to volunteer and follow our instructions.

-Brandon

JagerTroop
11-18-2010, 10:40 AM
This is gonna be awesome :D

I have a question that may apply to others here: If I have submitted a live scan in the last year(COE) am I required to resubmit upon applying for my ccw?

dantodd
11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
You can review some of the Good Cause Statements approved by the San Joaquin Sheriff here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/127-san-joaquin

Kid Stanislaus
11-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I looked at all the Good Cause Statements and it looks like the key is "large sums of cash".

trautert
11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
At 8:04 am on November 19th I sent ...the second email...No reply yet.

Untamed1972
11-22-2010, 11:52 AM
I looked at all the Good Cause Statements and it looks like the key is "large sums of cash".

Actually when I read them it pretty much seemed like "personal protection" was the key with common added things like "I walk at night" or "Hike/fish in remote locations". Basically pretty common, vague things that wouldnt seem to meet the "more than usual need" or "specific threat" rule commonly stated, and that apply to just about everyone.

wildhawker
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I would expect that the Sgt is awaiting orders. Let's not discuss this in a public venue.

At 8:04 am on November 19th I sent... the second email...No reply yet.

wrdavis
11-22-2010, 5:30 PM
Downloaded three counties today, so not sure these were all in SJ county.

What I noticed was lots of "to comply with the law".

Another was that some amount of cash can be worth more than some one's life. So with only a quarter in my pocket and I get held up, give the quarter away and the bad guy shoots me cause I didn't have enough? My quarter just too low a value to warrant having a CCW.

And of the ones I downloaded today, the best was: I carry lots of guns & ammo and need to keep them out of the wrong hands.

wildhawker
11-22-2010, 6:57 PM
I think it's interesting that some Sheriffs require "good cause" e.g. transportation of money, etc. when they would almost certainly arrest someone for shooting someone to protect property.

Nor-Cal
11-22-2010, 7:41 PM
Some of the good cause statements are very intresting and hard to belive an adult wrote the good cause statements!

wildhawker
11-22-2010, 8:33 PM
On Nov. 22, 2010, San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office removed their requirement that applicants who reside in incorporated areas first apply to their city PD Chief of Police; here's an excerpt of an email from the SJSO:

"...as a resident of an incorporated city, pursuant to the California Penal Code, you have a choice in submitting an application to the Chief of Police of the city you live in, or the Sheriff of your county of residence."

We're optimistic that Sheriff Moore will continue to remove illegal requirements and restrictions from his policy and create a system of carry license issuance that's timely, fair and fully compliant with state and federal law without prompt by costly litigation.

I'd like to thank all of the San Joaquin County Carry Reform Initiative volunteers for their work in making this happen. If you'd like to get involved in similar Carry Reform efforts, sign up at www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer.

For more information on the status of our efforts in San Joaquin county, including approved "Good Cause" statements, please visit http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/127-san-joaquin.

wildhawker
11-23-2010, 9:55 AM
I'm hearing that the entire process at the SJ Sheriff's Office is ~40min start to finish, including Livescan.

rivraton
11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Downloaded three counties today, so not sure these were all in SJ county.

What I noticed was lots of "to comply with the law".
Another was that some amount of cash can be worth more than some one's life. So with only a quarter in my pocket and I get held up, give the quarter away and the bad guy shoots me cause I didn't have enough? My quarter just too low a value to warrant having a CCW.

And of the ones I downloaded today, the best was: I carry lots of guns & ammo and need to keep them out of the wrong hands.

I saw that too. I wonder if that implies that, if they don't get a permit, they'll carry anyway?:rolleyes:

hunterkharris
11-24-2010, 10:58 AM
i signed up to help, but have yet to receive a email.

wildhawker
11-24-2010, 11:03 AM
It's time to apply in SJ County!

Please help us spread the word - we need everyone to apply using one of the similarly situated good cause statements found here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/127-san-joaquin).

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Download, complete and print the DOJ Standard Application here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf.
a. Structure your good cause statement as either a) “I wish to acquire a firearm carry permit for the purpose of self-defense”, or b) if you have a good cause which approximates one from those we posted here, you can state the same good cause (as long as it’s truthful – it’s a crime to lie on the application).
b. DO NOT SIGN the application; you will sign when you turn it in and SJSO will witness/countersign.
Make two checks or money orders out to “San Joaquin Sheriff’s Office” in the amount of $19.00 and $120.00, respectively. (make sure to put the check numbers in the cover letter under “enclosures” and in the transmittal letter).
Complete the missing information in the cover letter (attached), print, and sign.
Complete the letter of transmittal (attached) and print 2 copies (one for you, one for them), making sure to date the top for the date of your appointment.
Scan all documents.
Contact Sgt. John Palmer and schedule a time to drop off your application and be fingerprinted.
Drop off your cover letter, application, and check. Have Sgt. Palmer or another SJSO representative sign, print name, title and date your letter of transmittal and TAKE THIS COPY HOME.
a. Point of information: their 90-day deadline clock starts on this date.
Scan your signed letter of transmittal.
Email me your scans.
Keep me posted!

Be sure to sign up at www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer!

cj1026
11-25-2010, 8:18 PM
Brandon I live in Ripon. Should I apply to local PD or SJSO?

Gray Peterson
11-25-2010, 8:29 PM
Brandon I live in Ripon. Should I apply to local PD or SJSO?

SJSO please.

JagerTroop
11-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Left a message for Sgt. Palmer this morning and he proptly returned my call. He was helpful, and very courteous. Scheduling my appointment was completely hassle free.

Nor-Cal
12-01-2010, 3:55 PM
Left a message for Sgt. Palmer this morning and he proptly returned my call. He was helpful, and very courteous. Scheduling my appointment was completely hassle free.

he seems to be a very great person,

DRAB_81
12-07-2010, 5:46 PM
My 90 day clock started today, I'll keep you guys posted...

JasonB
12-07-2010, 7:15 PM
I have a meeting with Sgt Palmer tomorrow at 1500

Shady
12-07-2010, 7:45 PM
lucky sob's

Nor-Cal
12-07-2010, 7:54 PM
:jump: now we just wait!

mgutterres
12-13-2010, 2:45 PM
The DOJ paperwork for the "first round" of CalGuns applications (mine is one) has come back to the Sheriff's office. The Sheriff should have a dozen or so applications on his desk later today. . .

JagerTroop
12-13-2010, 5:29 PM
The DOJ paperwork for the "first round" of CalGuns applications (mine is one) has come back to the Sheriff's office. The Sheriff should have a dozen or so applications on his desk later today. . .

What is the cutoff date for the "first round"? I submitted CCW app/livescan on 11/30.

When I got my COE, the cert came in the mail after 2 weeks, so I'm guessing my results may be in. I sure hope I make the first wave, as there is likely to be a crapload of apps in by now.

ETA* just checked the automated line (916-227-4557) and found out my DOJ processed 11/30, and the FBI 12/2.

wildhawker
12-13-2010, 6:26 PM
I'm 99% you're in the first wave.

What is the cutoff date for the "first round"? I submitted CCW app/livescan on 11/30.

When I got my COE, the cert came in the mail after 2 weeks, so I'm guessing my results may be in. I sure hope I make the first wave, as there is likely to be a crapload of apps in by now.

ETA* just checked the automated line (916-227-4557) and found out my DOJ processed 11/30, and the FBI 12/2.

Nor-Cal
12-13-2010, 7:02 PM
I'm guessing I'm in the first round as well 12-1?

Edit: I'm not in the first wave,

wildhawker
12-13-2010, 7:49 PM
Most likely yes.

RANGER295
12-14-2010, 9:46 AM
Just got a call from Sgt. Palmer this morning. He wanted some clarification on a couple things for the cover letter he was putting with my application for the sheriff. He has been very helpful and pleasant to work with. He said hopefully I would know in another week or so.

JasonB
12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Can you please PM me with an email address to send my scans and a contact number I can call to speak with ... What is done with scans? How is it used? Thanks!

JagerTroop
12-14-2010, 1:32 PM
Just got a call from Sgt. Palmer this morning. He wanted some clarification on a couple things for the cover letter he was putting with my application for the sheriff. He has been very helpful and pleasant to work with. He said hopefully I would know in another week or so.

By "would know in another week", does he mean whether or not you've been approved? Wow, that's quick.

When did you submit your app?

ccwtrainer
12-15-2010, 12:22 AM
I used to work as a LEO for the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Department. Your assessments of Sgt. John Palmer are right on; he is a very good man.

I'm glad to see you all applying for your CCW's. When you get to the point of needing a course, give me an e-mail or a call (209-401-0907). I'm always excited to help good people get their gun permits.

Merry Christmas!!

Biscuitbreath
12-16-2010, 3:10 PM
I met with Sgt. Palmer today, and turned in my application. He said I may hear back in 3 or 4 weeks. Sgt. Palmer was a pleasure to work with, a real stand up guy...very friendly, helpful, and professional.

RANGER295
12-16-2010, 10:01 PM
By "would know in another week", does he mean whether or not you've been approved? Wow, that's quick.

When did you submit your app?

Yes, you are correct. He meant that hopefully I would know when I am approved at that time. I applied November 23rd.

DRAB_81
12-29-2010, 3:07 PM
Yes, you are correct. He meant that hopefully I would know when I am approved at that time. I applied November 23rd.

Did you end up getting your approval?

Has anyone heard anything recently? I applied on 12/7, so I'm a little later than some of you, but I haven't heard anything yet.

RANGER295
12-29-2010, 4:23 PM
Did you end up getting your approval?

Has anyone heard anything recently? I applied on 12/7, so I'm a little later than some of you, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I haven’t heard boo from them since the call I mentioned above on the 14th.

It has dragged out so long that it will not really matter if I find out today or in a month and a half. I am getting so booked up that I will be lucky if I have time to get my class until after my wedding in February. And even after that it will be difficult because I will be newly married and we will have just bought a house with acreage and about half a mile of fence line that needs some mending before I can put spring lambs and a steer on it… and all the other crap that is going on… ok I will shut up and stop ranting… I just wish I had known a couple weeks ago… it would have been a lot easier.

JagerTroop
12-29-2010, 9:10 PM
Yeah, I'm getting a bit antsy too. Tomorrow is 30 days for me, and I haven't heard word one. I know they're slammed with applications, but you would think they would process them in smaller groups. It seems like they are letting them pile up, pushing the 90 day limit, then process a bunch all at once.

Eta: I can't see a reason for the hold up, other than volume, but this should be a 'first come first served' type thing. I mean, both my state and federal BG checks came back within 3 days. This better pay off in the end.

wildhawker
12-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Keep in mind a few things:

1. They know that we're running a drill. We're not hiding it.

2. They know what we want from them. We're not hiding it.

3. The Sheriff has some very serious constitutional issues, as well as statutory issues, to address *very soon*. Their moves will be very carefully calculated from here on out, because we're playing chess, not checkers.

4. The Sheriff knows (or has been advised) that the risk is less to delay - even inappropriately - than make a mistake and create additional exposure.

5. The Sheriff knows that they have the greater of 30 days from receipt of the DOJ's PC 12052 report, or 90 days from the initial application, to make a determination - and that we're paying close attention (with a hammer in hand).

Let's allow everyone to resume normal operations after the holidays and see where we stand.

-Brandon

torquen
12-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Hello, I am new to this site but have been reading everything I can. I am from Lodi and would like to try and get my CCW. I'm a firefighter, manage a vineyard, hunt/fish, and shoot at the range quite often.

I looked at the link posted above showing the good causes used in SJ. Are these good causes from people that were actually accepted? Some of them seem to be very childish with terrible spelling as well as not making sense.

Has anyone received a CCW from Sheriff Moore? I would love to carry again "when I lived in AZ I was allowed." Defiantly made me feel much more comfortable doing every day/night activities.

Thank you for the help. Its time to start "the process" so would the first step be to call the S.O. and make an appointment?

wildhawker
12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Welcome!

Yes, everything you are reading is directly from applications approved by the current Sheriff (Moore).

Sheriff Moore does issue CCWs, though apparently not using any consistent method of determining "good cause" and "good moral character", among other process-related issues. If you'd like to apply, PM me your name, email address, and phone number and I will send you specific instructions on how to proceed.

-Brandon

Hello, I am new to this site but have been reading everything I can. I am from Lodi and would like to try and get my CCW. I'm a firefighter, manage a vineyard, hunt/fish, and shoot at the range quite often.

I looked at the link posted above showing the good causes used in SJ. Are these good causes from people that were actually accepted? Some of them seem to be very childish with terrible spelling as well as not making sense.

Has anyone received a CCW from Sheriff Moore? I would love to carry again "when I lived in AZ I was allowed." Defiantly made me feel much more comfortable doing every day/night activities.

Thank you for the help. Its time to start "the process" so would the first step be to call the S.O. and make an appointment?

DRAB_81
12-30-2010, 4:23 PM
I heard from a reliable source that as of the first week of December, there was already a huge stack of applications on the Sherriff's desk, and that several had already gone past their 90 days. That's why I was surprised to see that some of you were told that you would get an answer in as little as 2 weeks...

wildhawker
12-30-2010, 8:55 PM
I heard from a reliable source that as of the first week of December, there was already a huge stack of applications on the Sherriff's desk, and that several had already gone past their 90 days. That's why I was surprised to see that some of you were told that you would get an answer in as little as 2 weeks...

Trust that the County Counsel, Board of Supervisors, and Sheriff are very intimately aware of how expensive that stack of applications the Sheriff decided not to process will be for them if they do not immediately comply with the law, and our Constitution.

http://hoffmang.com/firearms/emoticons/guraanimate1.gif

BroncoBob
12-30-2010, 10:58 PM
you just have to enjoy this

torquen
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I am ready to apply for my CCW. I sent my info to you Brandon. I could use all the help I can get to hopefully pass this the first time. I want to be prepared and not caught off guard.

Is my first step to go down to the SO office and pick up the application? What can I expect when I go to pick up the application. Do I need to have my good cause ready at that time?

wildhawker
01-03-2011, 2:21 PM
Please be patient; the holidays have delays my response to you and a few others (yes, even volunteers occasionally celebrate with family).

I am ready to apply for my CCW. I sent my info to you Brandon. I could use all the help I can get to hopefully pass this the first time. I want to be prepared and not caught off guard.

Is my first step to go down to the SO office and pick up the application? What can I expect when I go to pick up the application. Do I need to have my good cause ready at that time?

8:16 a.m.
01-03-2011, 7:44 PM
Not a problem ;) Sent you my info as well, whenever you have the chance, I'm in the same boat as torquen.

- Mark

Lancear15
01-05-2011, 6:22 PM
Tic toc tic toc :lurk5:

Nor-Cal
01-05-2011, 7:54 PM
:iagree: time is slowly running out!

Heatseeker
01-11-2011, 5:48 AM
(theme from Jeopardy playing softly in background)...Just past 30 days and still waiting patiently....

Has anybody heard anything???

JagerTroop
01-11-2011, 6:20 AM
Its been over 40 days for me... no word yet. Anyone else?

Nor-Cal
01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
40+ days still waiting like brandon said sheriff knows how expensive thoes applications will be after the 90 days!

wildhawker
01-11-2011, 1:53 PM
Remember, the Sheriff has the later of the following to respond:

Application date + 90 days
Receipt of DOJ PC 12052 report + 30 days

Methinks he'll need them all...

JagerTroop
01-11-2011, 4:07 PM
Remember, the Sheriff has the later of the following to respond:

Application date + 90 days
Receipt of DOJ PC 12052 report + 30 days

Methinks he'll need them all...

I'm going to assume that everyone else got their DOJ report back in a timely manner, just as I did. Mine was the same day as the scan. Being that the DOJ seems to be on the ball (for once), it seems we're all looking at the better part of 90 days.

wildhawker
01-11-2011, 5:55 PM
I'm going to assume that everyone else got their DOJ report back in a timely manner, just as I did. Mine was the same day as the scan. Being that the DOJ seems to be on the ball (for once), it seems we're all looking at the better part of 90 days.

I think you should expect 2-6 weeks from now.

torquen
01-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Is now a good time to apply or should I wait? Could defiantly use some advice on each step of the process so I don't look like a deer in headlights. First step is to go down to the Sheriff office and pick up an application correct? Do I need to have any information or my good cause at this time? Do I need to bring any documents or forms of payment? Do I need to make an appointment to pick up an application? Thanks for the info.

JagerTroop
01-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Is now a good time to apply or should I wait? Could defiantly use some advice on each step of the process so I don't look like a deer in headlights. First step is to go down to the Sheriff office and pick up an application correct? Do I need to have any information or my good cause at this time? Do I need to bring any documents or forms of payment? Do I need to make an appointment to pick up an application? Thanks for the info.

Contact Wildhawker bfore you proceed. He will guide you.

rwhite692
01-14-2011, 8:40 AM
Tried to download / open the "Good Cause Statements" pdf file...

But Acrobat reader said the file was "Corrupted / Bad encrypt dictionary"....

Anyone else have problems opening it?

torquen
01-17-2011, 1:59 PM
Worked fine for me. I just downloaded it. Try again.

IncVoid
01-17-2011, 4:18 PM
I keep getting 404 not found.
but I think its the same form for other counties to and doesn't even say the county right?
i googled bcia 4012
maybe even bcia 4012 (6/99) but that might be an old version of the document as reflected by 6/99.

the flowchart pdf worked tho

JagerTroop
01-17-2011, 6:18 PM
The good cause statements for SJC are specific to SJC. The ccw application is a standardized state form.

obeygiant
01-17-2011, 8:03 PM
Tried to download / open the "Good Cause Statements" pdf file...

But Acrobat reader said the file was "Corrupted / Bad encrypt dictionary"....

Anyone else have problems opening it?

You will need to upgrade your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

For Mac, go Here (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=macintosh&product=10)
For PC, go Here (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4761)

I keep getting 404 not found.
but I think its the same form for other counties to and doesn't even say the county right?
i googled bcia 4012
maybe even bcia 4012 (6/99) but that might be an old version of the document as reflected by 6/99.

the flowchart pdf worked tho

Here (http://suttersheriff.org/docs/CCW_App.pdf) is an alternate link for the CCW APP from the Sutter County Sheriff

evollep3
01-21-2011, 2:01 AM
very nice

DRAB_81
01-21-2011, 5:45 PM
45 days and counting...

This...
Is...
Killing...
Me...

wildhawker
01-21-2011, 6:08 PM
I have been advised that there is movement at the SO on apps. Let me know the outcome.

-Brandon

Heatseeker
01-22-2011, 8:53 AM
That's great news Brandon. I'm hoping to receive a favorable response soon...although I do have my doubts.

Lancear15
01-22-2011, 6:45 PM
How will the notifications be made?

wildhawker
01-22-2011, 10:12 PM
I have heard of a few approvals, and a couple of denials so far. Notification is by letter if denied, telephone for interview requests and approvals.

I hear the Sheriff wants to "meet personally" with some to discuss their Good Cause. I'd tell him to pound sand and make a decision based on what was provided on the application (given it was "self defense").

torquen
01-23-2011, 9:14 AM
I have my appointment on Tuesday to drop off my app. I have my packet filled out and ready to go but am wondering about the cover letter. I have the cover letter that came from here and I'm wondering if its a little challenging? Is this the cover letter that everyone is using?
Also looked at the good cause's and see quite a few. In the first couple of post on this thread someone said the "two known" causes that work. What are the two?

Lancear15
01-23-2011, 8:45 PM
I was the third CGer to apply and have heard nothing. Over 60 days and counting. Curious why I haven't.

wildhawker
01-23-2011, 9:54 PM
I have my appointment on Tuesday to drop off my app. I have my packet filled out and ready to go but am wondering about the cover letter. I have the cover letter that came from here and I'm wondering if its a little challenging? Is this the cover letter that everyone is using?
Also looked at the good cause's and see quite a few. In the first couple of post on this thread someone said the "two known" causes that work. What are the two?

That is the point.

torquen
01-25-2011, 2:23 PM
I just walked in from dropping off my application with Sgt. Palmer. I thought it was great how he was very helpful and did not just sign and say good by. We went over the entire packet and made sure everything looked correct and was written in the proper way. Hopefully the rest of the process went as well as today.

I need your email Brandon. I have all my paperwork scanned and ready to send.

Toe Jam
01-26-2011, 8:17 AM
Day 55 and waiting. I did get a few phone call from Sgt. Palmer about my business and needing other papers to support my "Good Cause". I can only wonder, is it good or bad?

IncVoid
01-26-2011, 9:24 PM
Is it true that the sheriff can only issue so many(limited number) of permits per year?

Was uoc'ing(yeah yeah) in stockton and got pulled over, said "a bunch of guys from calguns.net put in for ccw's any idea if the majority got denied or approved", and he said something about only being able to issue so many a year, and I heard criteria and policy.
I'm wondering if thats the sheriffs or doj's? oh well.

Looking back I don't see why some deputy-s would know if permits were issued or not, kind of a stupid question to be asking random s.j. sheriff deps.

But they were very friendly and cool about it. I'm anxious to see if most people get theirs or not.

I'm sure it isn't something somebody broadcasts tho' .

Gray Peterson
01-26-2011, 9:50 PM
Is it true that the sheriff can only issue so many(limited number) of permits per year?

Was uoc'ing(yeah yeah) in stockton and got pulled over, said "a bunch of guys from calguns.net put in for ccw's any idea if the majority got denied or approved", and he said something about only being able to issue so many a year, and I heard criteria and policy.
I'm wondering if thats the sheriffs or doj's? oh well.

Looking back I don't see why some deputy-s would know if permits were issued or not, kind of a stupid question to be asking random s.j. sheriff deps.

But they were very friendly and cool about it. I'm anxious to see if most people get theirs or not.

I'm sure it isn't something somebody broadcasts tho' .

Sheriff Pazin of Merced County limited CCW new applications to a certain amount of people.

wildhawker
01-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Day 55 and waiting. I did get a few phone call from Sgt. Palmer about my business and needing other papers to support my "Good Cause". I can only wonder, is it good or bad?

Hard to say, but I am slightly concerned. My impression is that people with more than "self defense" are going to be put through the mill.

JagerTroop
01-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Hard to say, but I am slightly concerned. My impression is that people with more than "self defense" are going to be put through the mill.

At least that would be some progress. I'm still stuck in the silo.

Japjeep
01-27-2011, 8:07 PM
i met with sjso and recieved a application in early 2010' before this thread, never turned it back in. my question is :now persuing my permit, should i use the app i have with a county seal on it or should i download one from this site? and what is this coversheet your refering to? my app dose not have a coversheet. also if i use the app i have can i just walk in and turn it in or do i have to call and make an appointment(i had to interview with a sgt. for approval before i was given a app)thanks for your support. oh yeh i cant download your app for some reason

JagerTroop
01-27-2011, 8:22 PM
i met with sjso and recieved a application in early 2010' before this thread, never turned it back in. my question is :now persuing my permit, should i use the app i have with a county seal on it or should i download one from this site? and what is this coversheet your refering to? my app dose not have a coversheet. also if i use the app i have can i just walk in and turn it in or do i have to call and make an appointment(i had to interview with a sgt. for approval before i was given a app)thanks for your support. oh yeh i cant download your app for some reason

Look at post #1 of this thread. It is located at the bottom. 1 of the 2 attachments.

Japjeep
01-27-2011, 10:02 PM
THANKS MAN, so do i download both attachments and turn them in with the app?

JagerTroop
01-27-2011, 10:13 PM
One is the cover sheet, the other is your "receipt" (basically). 2 copies of the receipt... 1 for you, 1 for them. This is documentation of when your 90 days starts, so it's important.

Just read through the thread (1st post in general) and follow the instructions. You'll make it through :) When in doubt, ask. It's hard to "take back" something that's in writing, so if you're unsure about something, don't submit it. Get clarification first. All that said, for me, the process so far has been fairly straight forward.

Complete app(DO NOT SIGN YET), make appointment, submit app, pay the man, get receipts, livescan, review app, handshake, then wait.... and wait....

sfdwarrior
01-28-2011, 5:33 PM

Hello Brandon,

I received a reply from SJSO, I have been trying to get in contact with you. I have emailed you some information and was woundering if you could call me. My number is attached to my email.

Thanks, Steve

wildhawker
01-28-2011, 8:42 PM
All, I'm out of state and will be back early Feb. Please remain patient, we've not forgotten about anything.

Falstaff
01-30-2011, 9:39 PM
Anyone know where a working copy of the fillable PDF application can be found?

JagerTroop
01-30-2011, 9:48 PM
Here (http://suttersheriff.org/docs/CCW_App.pdf) is an alternate link for the CCW APP from the Sutter County Sheriff

It's the same one. The standard Ca DOJ application

JagerTroop
01-31-2011, 1:20 PM
Just got a call from the sheriff's office. Sheriff Moore wants to meet 1 on 1. Scheduled for 2/11.

Wish me luck boys... I'm going in.

wildhawker
01-31-2011, 2:47 PM
Just got a call from the sheriff's office. Sheriff Moore wants to meet 1 on 1. Scheduled for 2/11.

My understanding is that he's going to prod for holes in your GC (likely a more-than-self defense, based on the interview request) or attempt to embellish to provide cover for the determination (including the tact that your supplemental GC in the interview is not identical, therefore your testimony via application is false). People need to be very careful.

Myself, I would tell him that my application and background check is all he needs to make a determination, and that to take time away from work and drive into the station would impose an additional cost burden, which he is prohibited from doing.

Nor-Cal
01-31-2011, 2:48 PM
Brandon, Email inbound!

Heatseeker
01-31-2011, 2:58 PM
My understanding is that he's going to prod for holes in your GC (likely a more-than-self defense, based on the interview request) or attempt to embellish to provide cover for the determination (including the tact that your supplemental GC in the interview is not identical, therefore your testimony via application is false). People need to be very careful.

Myself, I would tell him that my application and background check is all he needs to make a determination, and that to take time away from work and drive into the station would impose an additional cost burden, which he is prohibited from doing.

I wish I'd have seen this before I got the call...:(

Going in on 2/11 as well.

JagerTroop
01-31-2011, 3:14 PM
I wish I'd have seen this before I got the call...:(

Going in on 2/11 as well.

I'm sure I'm the last appointment of the day (pushed it back from 1 to 4), so be sure to post up the details of the interroga... I mean, interview.

I have a very good idea of what I'm walking in to, but, the more help/insight, the better.

DRAB_81
01-31-2011, 3:20 PM
I'm also set to meet with the Sheriff on 2/11. Do all applicants, that don't initially get declined, have a sit down with Sheriff Moore? Has anyone that simply stated "self defense" been approved? PM is on the way wildhawker, I have some more questions that I probably shouldn't ask on a public forum.

Heatseeker
01-31-2011, 6:01 PM
I'm sure I'm the last appointment of the day (pushed it back from 1 to 4), so be sure to post up the details of the interroga... I mean, interview.

I have a very good idea of what I'm walking in to, but, the more help/insight, the better.

I was offered 3:30 or 4:30. I took the 3:30. I guess I'll meet you in passing...

DRAB_81
01-31-2011, 6:27 PM
If anyone has any inside info on what I'm walking into, send me a PM. My appointment will likely be one of the first of the day...

G lock
01-31-2011, 8:38 PM
good luck guys! hoping to apply myself sometime soon

Nor-Cal
02-01-2011, 2:39 PM
Brandon, I have been trying to get a hold of you I know you are out of state but when you get a chance if you could read and reply back,

wildhawker
02-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I'll be back in CA and getting in touch on 2/4.

-Brandon

RANGER295
02-02-2011, 7:49 AM
She was nice until I told her that I was on my honeymoon during the 11th and could not come in that day. Then she seemed outright pissed off. Talked about how busy the sheriff is and how many meetings. I said I would be back on Monday the 14th and set an appointment up for then, but was told by my boss I could not take time off the first day back from work. I called her back and moved it to Wednesday the 16th which still is not ideal because I have to come in early and stay late at work to make up the time. One of my supervisors doesn’t care. The other one it will not be a problem, but I could tell by her voice that she was not thrilled about it. I am not really sure what to do. I wish I had seen Brandon’s recommendation before I agreed to go in… though I had seen a comment along those lines earlier in the thread but did not know if it was official advice.

A note to you Brandon, I will be getting married on the 5th and will be unavailable from the 5th through the 12th. I will be out of country, will not have my phone on, and will not be checking my messages. Sorry… my honeymoon and new wife are more important than my CCW :p Also, when I get back, I will not have internet access right away. My new house is so far out in the country we do not have high speed service and are still trying to decided what to do for internet.

evollep3
02-02-2011, 5:17 PM
Brandon did you get my email for my situation

Toe Jam
02-03-2011, 8:10 AM

Good luck on the 11th:cheers2:. Let us know how it went. I've got a 1 on 1 on the 15th

DRAB_81
02-03-2011, 7:35 PM
Regarding SJ County CalGuns members involved in this:

Have any of you been formally DENIED???

Have any of you been formally APPROVED???

Does anyone have an "interview" BEFORE Friday 2/11???

wildhawker
02-04-2011, 9:56 AM
I'm aware of a few denials (some or all are not CGNers specifically).

JagerTroop
02-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm aware of a few denials (some or all are not CGNers specifically).

Do you know the specifics? Particularly, was it gc based, was it an outright(letter in the mail) denial, or was thaere an interview then denial?

srt4geezer
02-04-2011, 1:52 PM
Thinking about doing this as well. Good luck fella's. Looking forward to hearing the experiences.

DRAB_81
02-07-2011, 11:51 AM
wildhawker, I know you just got back last Friday, but I need to talk to you about my interview this Friday. I sent you a couple PM's with my phone number, so please call me when you get a chance. Thanks again.

harbinger007
02-07-2011, 7:24 PM
In the Sacramento CCW thread, someone posted a fairly anti-CCW story by KCRA with the vid at http://www.kcra.com/news/26779574/detail.html. I'm posting here because I thought the information about going to the Lodi PD for a CCW sounds terrible based on viewer comment #7:

dogs4you [Profile]
Feb. 7, 2011 7:21pm PST
dogs4you
Inappropriate
It is up to the Chief of Police in Lodi who will get a CCW. There are many hoops that have to be jumped through in order to get a permit. First a back ground check, take a test, prove you can fire the weapon, you have to see a doctor to make sure your not a Bernard Goetz, pay a $500.00 fee and the approval of the Chief of Police. Easyer said than done. I am all for it and it might make a gangster think twice who he is going to rob or carjack. While the Sheriff is obviously the man to see, someone needs to inform that chief he's violating the PC with the fee and his requirements. Maybe he needs a psych exam!

Toe Jam
02-08-2011, 3:37 PM
WOW... I’m appalled by the bias of that report.

In the Sacramento CCW thread, someone posted a fairly anti-CCW story by KCRA...

locksmith
02-08-2011, 8:32 PM
I also go in for my interview on the 11th at 10:30 and i am a bit nervous, not knowing what to expect, I feel that I have a darn good GC but after reading this thread I am feeling a bit dissapointed, I can only hope that the sheriff is calling me in to ask a couple of ?'s that he might not have gotten answered by reading my application.

I am keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed in hopes that a approval with will be in my future this friday morning

Heatseeker
02-09-2011, 4:58 AM
^If you wouldn't mind and it's possible, could you post your interview experience as soon as you're done. I'm a little on edge about the interview as well. A little forewarning as to what to expect would be nice.^

DRAB_81
02-09-2011, 8:49 AM
Sheriff has a funeral to attend Friday morning, so it looks like somebody else gets to be the Guinea Pig. I got rescheduled for 2/15...

JagerTroop
02-09-2011, 8:54 AM
How convenient :rolleyes:

wildhawker
02-09-2011, 11:43 PM
All, I'd like to setup a conference call for Friday evening or this weekend to address the general issues presented to you applicants. Anything you don't wish to share on the call can be addressed separately as time allows. I've been severely crunched for time, and doesn't appear that the next 2 weeks will be any better.

Expect an email from me within 24 hours; if you don't receive one, please email me at bcombs@calgunsgfoundation.org for the call-in info.

-Brandon

IncVoid
02-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Having still not applied for the ccw I'm still anxious to see what happens to you guys. So all the 2/11's (not 211's) got rescheduled due to a funeral?

JagerTroop
02-10-2011, 6:58 AM
Having still not applied for the ccw I'm still anxious to see what happens to you guys. So all the 2/11's (not 211's) got rescheduled due to a funeral?

It seems just the a.m. appointments were pushed back. I'm still on schedule for 4pm. Well, they haven't called me to reschedule, so I'm assuming it's still on.

Heatseeker
02-10-2011, 7:08 AM
My 3:30 has not been rescheduled either. I sure wish I knew what I was walking into here. I guess I'm going to find out tomorrow afternoon...

JagerTroop
02-10-2011, 7:17 AM
Well, it can't be too in-depth if you're at 3:30 and I'm at 4. Let's just hope its a formal meeting so he can see that we're not complete weirdos, thug types, etc. However, I'm prepared for the 3rd degree.

Heatseeker
02-11-2011, 6:02 AM
Today is the big day...:confused:

Any last minute marching orders before we go in?

Heatseeker
02-11-2011, 2:52 PM
All done. Not looking good for an approval....

JagerTroop
02-11-2011, 3:11 PM
Just got out. Actually, still in the parking lot. No answer, but seems like it could go either way.

Joepolo
02-11-2011, 3:28 PM
I am going in next week and am very anxious!!

JagerTroop
02-11-2011, 4:11 PM
Ok, here's what happened.

Sheriff Moore saw me right on schedule and was very polite. We got down to business very quickly. He reminded me that he's not anti gun, an NRA member, but not exactly keen on everyone carrying.

The jist of the interview was him asking me why I, more than the average citizen, needs to carry. Basically, I had to elaborate on my good cause. There were other things discussed that were specific to me, but 99% of it was my good cause. He didn't seem interested in anything else.

I was in and out in about 20 minutes. He said that he has yet to make a decission in my case, which is evident by the fact that I didn't get an approval or denial, hence the interview. After which, he was still undecided.

I really feel like this is going to go the same route as Sacramento. Sheriff Moore, though somewhat sympathetic to what we're doing, doesn't seem to be willing to give it up.

I really feel like this could go either way for me.

IncVoid
02-11-2011, 4:55 PM
Ok, here's what happened.

The jist of the interview was him asking me why I, more than the average citizen, needs to carry.

Why do I need to carry more than others? Need being a keyword?

Do working citizens need to change jobs to a job that necessitates a ccw!? b.s!

I open carry my firearm. It is valuable.
All firearms are valuable. I carry a valuable item. Some people cannot obtain the item legally, rare for some to lawfully possess.

I open carry to protect myself. In my room(loaded) at 3am while my mom sleeps. In the back yard and front yard playing with my cats or cutting the grass.

I really wanna open carry at walmart.(Please PM me if there is anything wrong with open carrying in walmart which is open to the public)
I haven't built up the confidence yet so I can also protect my mom when shopping with her, thats the reason I got my first firearm anyway. I weigh 150lbs of nothing. I can't just shout this is sparta and go super saiyan on somebody home invading.

I need to switch to target tho =). I haven't seen anything happen that has made me fearful of my mom's life or mine in the walmart parking lots or inside the store, But I would have to say that is where I stereotype/assume something would happen to my mom.

Moving along.

I think my logic is flawed. Need..necessity.

Do I need to open carry.
But telling somebody to stop open carrying is like telling somebody to stop working with valuables or large sums of money, or stop working with...I don't know the words...high profile items etc.

It seems more of why does my current lifestyle necessitate a ccw...using that logic I can't see how I'm above average.
I don't have any special licenses, or purposes. = \

But my current lifestyle is open carrying.
Wearing my firearm? Synonymous with jewelry?

Have jewelers been granted ccw's but not people that wear the high dollar jewelry?

Did Sheriff Moore share with you any other reasons he has issued ccw's for? Specific details at all? Work fields? Licenses? anything?
Any kind of NDA or anything of that nature that prevents you from sharing exact questions? Just respect and courtesy?

hotloogy
02-11-2011, 5:07 PM
im getting a broken link with the forms?

JagerTroop
02-11-2011, 5:09 PM
Did Sheriff Moore share with you any other reasons he has issued ccw's for? Specific details at all? Work fields? Licenses? anything?

Nope. I went down just as I said. It was all about why I need to carry. There was no talk of any other person, any other person's good cause, or any other person's occupation.

harbinger007
02-11-2011, 5:49 PM
Good luck guys. Did Moore give any indication as to when you might be getting an answer?

DRAB_81
02-11-2011, 6:17 PM
I really feel like this is going to go the same route as Sacramento. Sheriff Moore, though somewhat sympathetic to what we're doing, doesn't seem to be willing to give it up.

What do you mean by that? Sacramento County is basically shall issue right now, but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling telling me that San Joaquin County is headed that way.

JagerTroop
02-11-2011, 7:34 PM
What do you mean by that? Sacramento County is basically shall issue right now, but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling telling me that San Joaquin County is headed that way.

Consider how Sac got to be "shall issue"

(where's the "legal b*tchslap smiley"? :p ) Oh! here it is... :gura:

Although, I may be jumping to conclusions

DRAB_81
02-11-2011, 8:37 PM
Consider how Sac got to be "shall issue"

(where's the "legal b*tchslap smiley"? :p ) Oh! here it is... :gura:

Although, I may be jumping to conclusions

Point taken, although I don't believe Sheriff Moore took a stance on CCW in his campaign, much less the stance that Sac County's Sheriff took. I'm probably not as educated on Sac County CCW as I should be, which is why I asked.

Heatseeker
02-11-2011, 8:40 PM
I felt like my interview went pretty badly. Here's how it went down:

I arrived 15 minutes early and he took me in right away.

Sheriff Moore gave me the same pro-gun/NRA life member speech as Jagertroop.

Then he basically stated that I needed to provide him with a reason why my need(specific threats, conditions, etc) to carry was above and beyond that of the average citizen in order for him to approve my application. I stuck to my "good cause" as presented in my application. I told him that I wanted to exercise my right to self defense away from the home. I did let my mouth run a little more than I had planned telling him that there have been several times where I've been out locally at night and felt that I was in a threatened position.

He also make mention of the fact that I work at a National Laboratory and that I would be prohibited from carrying to and from work because firearms are prohibited there. I told him that I was already aware of this fact.

He said he would take my statement under advisement and that I should be hearing from his office soon.

Other than that, he was cordial and quick. I was out of there 15 minutes after I arrived.

I hope that legal slap Jagertroop mentioned happens, because I'm pretty confident that's what it's going to take to get a CCW in this county....

wildhawker
02-11-2011, 8:52 PM
Sheriff Moore has been leveraging his alleged NRA membership for a long time. The facts: he is not pro-gun, and he's very pro-regulation. He "earned" his control over you San Joaquin residents, and he will not give it up willingly.

Run the race, and you will get to the finish line. However, it's not a sprint - it's an endurance course.

Remember that San Joaquin County is in the Eastern District of California Federal Court...

Paladin
02-12-2011, 1:00 PM
He reminded me that he's not anti gun, an NRA member,All of that is IRRELEVANT if he doesn't issue permits to allow law-abiding residents to "bear arms" to defend their own lives. "not anti gun" may simply mean he is not for gun confiscation, which is a personal stance since he, in his capacity as sheriff, does not have the authority to do that even if he wanted to.

"NRA member" simply means he chose, for whatever reason (political points?), to send money to the NRA. That's all it takes. Issuing permits, or not, is where the rubber meets the road, is when the pudding is proven, or not.

but not exactly keen on everyone carrying.

The jist of the interview was him asking me why I, more than the average citizen, needs to carry. Basically, I had to elaborate on my good cause. There were other things discussed that were specific to me, but 99% of it was my good cause. He didn't seem interested in anything else.
The bolded parts are what I don't get. (1) 40 out of 50 states have gone Shall Issue, and in EVERY STATE, there haven't been any issues w/"everyone carrying." EVERY STATE from the Mississippi River west to the Pacific Ocean is Shall Issue and NONE of them have had any significant problems w/CCWers. People who have yet to be interviewed might want to tell him that and then ask him why he thinks people in his county will be any different.

(2) In my sig line I've got 35 examples -- can't add any more examples, that one post has reached its character limit -- of people who've saved lives because they CC'ed. IN NOT ONE CASE did the person know ahead of time that they'd need to carry that day. Putting that burden on applicants is BS. People who have yet to be interviewed may want to review my list (I'm sure there's more exhaustive lists somewhere on the web), and maybe even print it out to give to the sheriff to ask him why he demands evidence of heightened risk, a standard which would have caused many people to die in those examples.

JagerTroop
02-12-2011, 1:59 PM
All of that is IRRELEVANT if he doesn't issue permits to allow law-abiding residents to "bear arms" to defend their own lives. "not anti gun" may simply mean he is not for gun confiscation, which is a personal stance since he, in his capacity as sheriff, does not have the authority to do that even if he wanted to. I was simply relaying what was said. I agree with you. He was pretty clear that he is pro 2A about guns "in the home", but doesn't like the idea of (law abiding)citizens carrying in public.

"NRA member" simply means he chose, for whatever reason (political points?), to send money to the NRA. That's all it takes. Issuing permits, or not, is where the rubber meets the road, is when the pudding is proven, or not.I agree. I thought he was trying a little to hard to prove that he's "reasonable". He made it seem as; if I am denied, it must be MY fault because he is a friend of gun owners :rolleyes:

The bolded parts are what I don't get. (1) 40 out of 50 states have gone Shall Issue, and in EVERY STATE, there haven't been any issues w/"everyone carrying." EVERY STATE from the Mississippi River west to the Pacific Ocean is Shall Issue and NONE of them have had any significant problems w/CCWers. People who have yet to be interviewed might want to tell him that and then ask him why he thinks people in his county will be any different. I don't see him being receptive in any way. It's kinda funny... if I lived about 10 miles further north(Sac county), I would have my permit by now. Somehow I'm not worthy enough, responsible enough, and my life is worth less than someone that lives 10 miles away.

(2) In my sig line I've got 35 examples -- can't add any more examples, that one post has reached its character limit -- of people who've saved lives because they CC'ed. IN NOT ONE CASE did the person know ahead of time that they'd need to carry that day. Putting that burden on applicants is BS. People who have yet to be interviewed may want to review my list (I'm sure there's more exhaustive lists somewhere on the web), and maybe even print it out to give to the sheriff to ask him why he demands evidence of heightened risk, a standard which would have caused many people to die in those examples.Sheriff Moore seems to be of the opinion that you need to have a history of being robbed, attacked, and/or threatened to want to be prepared, in case it happens again. I think I'll cancel my car insurance, ditch the jack and spare tire, sell my SRS airbag, stop wasting money on 9volt batteries for my smoke detectors, stop wearing steeltoes/safety glasses/hardhat at work, and not bother locking my doors at night. All until my life/safety is somehow affected by not having them.

It's quite sad... it is like pulling teeth trying to get a CCW, all the while, the penalty for carrying illegaly is simply a misdemeanor. Just reinforces the fact that criminals have more rights than law abiding citizens.

harbinger007
02-12-2011, 3:40 PM
It's premature to discuss a suit, of course, but I'm wondering if there's any history of Sheriff Moore being sued in the past to get an idea how much he digs in his heels.

JagerTroop, I sure do feel bad for you and others. I live in Sacramento but spend a fair amount of time in in SJ County (bought a second home in Stockton recently) and am glad that I've got my CCW but it sure isn't fair.

Nor-Cal
02-12-2011, 6:06 PM
Remember that San Joaquin County is in the Eastern District of California Federal Court...[/QUOTE]

I really like the sound of that!:gura:

Paladin
02-12-2011, 9:10 PM
JT, I should have prefaced my last remarks to stating that "I know I'm preaching to the choir." ;)

Toe Jam
02-13-2011, 5:26 PM
News10 just did a report ccw.

It was better then KCRA bias/anti gun report

:o:D

Kid Stanislaus
02-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Hang in there SJ Calgunners, it'll happen but its going to take some time. I thought it'd never happen in Stanislaus Co. but it appears to just about be a slam dunk now.

JagerTroop
02-13-2011, 10:14 PM
News10 just did a report ccw.

It was better then KCRA bias/anti gun report

:o:D

Just saw it (I'm guessing it was a replay from earlier). Not a bad story, but the Rep from the Brady Nutbags was spewing typical "more guns on the street carried by undertrained(really?) people is a bad thing" crap.

Cool part: Calguns and SAF were specificaly mentioned. In reference to recent efforts/lawsuits challenging CCW restrictions.

Toe Jam
02-14-2011, 7:18 AM
Just saw it (I'm guessing it was a replay from earlier). Not a bad story, but the Rep from the Brady Nutbags was spewing typical "more guns on the street carried by undertrained(really?) people is a bad thing" crap.

But they followed it by talking about the training are about the law and people must pass a background check.

http://www.news10.net/video/default.aspx#/Recent+Videos/More+concealed+weapon+permits+issued+in+Sacramento +County/52821470001/52747302001/788987208001

Heatseeker
02-14-2011, 7:20 AM
I hope to see a similar report regarding CCW issuance in San Joaquin County soon!!!

Mammoth
02-15-2011, 6:37 AM
Cool part: Calguns and SAF were specificaly mentioned. In reference to recent efforts/lawsuits challenging CCW restrictions.

Also cool that the bootlicker forum was NOT mentioned. Wonder how many of them will actually follow your links to this thread.

I have interested friends in SJ, looking forward to more updates from JT, etc.

Joepolo
02-15-2011, 1:54 PM
Good luck guys. Did Moore give any indication as to when you might be getting an answer?

Anyone hear back yet?

JagerTroop
02-15-2011, 2:49 PM
Nothing yet.

TRUST ME... when we find out, you'll know ;)

DRAB_81
02-15-2011, 5:51 PM
A few things stuck in my head after my interview, as well as I can remember them. These are un-prompted comments/questions.

1. "Being Pro 2A and Pro-CCW are 2 totally different things"
2. "Have you considered 'Less than lethal' forms of self-defense?"
3. "There are 2 parts: Good Moral Character & Good Cause, and the law says 'May Issue', not 'Shall Issue'."
4. "When I finish reviewing all the CCW applications, we will noify you."

Unless some of you have documented cases of threats to your life, assaults etc., or my interpretation of how my interview went is wrong, there will be a lot of disappointed CCW applicants this go around.

JagerTroop
02-15-2011, 6:25 PM
A few things stuck in my head after my interview, as well as I can remember them. These are un-prompted comments/questions.

3. "There are 2 parts: Good Moral Character & Good Cause, and the law says 'May Issue', not 'Shall Issue'."

Unless some of you have documented cases of threats to your life, assaults etc., or my interpretation of how my interview went is wrong, there will be a lot of disappointed CCW applicants this go around.

Are these direct quotes from Moore? Seems like he didn't have a "script" as #1 was stated a different way, but said the same thing. #2 was not asked of me, nor was it even mentioned. #3 was not mentioned in any way. #4 was not mentioned either. He simply said he'll make a decision, and get back to me. He DID ask if I've ever been a victim of robbery/attempted robbery regarding a portion of my GC ( I haven't), but I didn't let it faze me, so he quickly moved on. He and I both know that just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't or won't.

It seems that the interviews weren't "cookie cutter", and I would expect a mixed bag of responses. I just hope there are more Yays than Nays.

Kid Stanislaus
02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm think'n SJ Co. is going to be a bit of a tough nut to crack but given enough pressure it will indeed crack.

rbetts
02-15-2011, 11:07 PM
All,

I just received 100 copies of "Concealed Carry Fundamentals". This is a great resource for you if you are preparing for, or just received your CCW. Alot of the info in it and it is even more than you receive in the local classes.

http://keyhousepress.com/sitebuilder/images/Concealed_Carry_Fundamentals_Cover_-_Small-359x359.jpg

They sell for the listed price of $26.95 and are well worth it! Being a recent recipient of a CCW approval and now preparing for class myself, this will make class more meaningful and well worth the $$.

Just my 2 cents

Available here http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/cocafu.html (Make sure to use CALGUNS in the coupon code for free shipping!)

Heatseeker
02-16-2011, 5:13 AM

I didn't hear 1,3 or 4 from Moore. He did hit me with #2 though. I asked him "like what? A cell phone? A pocket knife? Please..." It was all I could do to not smart off and ask him if he carried off duty.

I agree that there will be a majority of denials from Sheriff Moore.

Toe Jam
02-16-2011, 7:54 AM
Are these direct quotes from Moore? Seems like he didn't have a "script" as #1 was stated a different way, but said the same thing. #2 was not asked of me, nor was it even mentioned. #3 was not mentioned in any way. #4 was not mentioned either. He simply said he'll make a decision, and get back to me. He DID ask if I've ever been a victim of robbery/attempted robbery regarding a portion of my GC ( I haven't), but I didn't let it faze me, so he quickly moved on. He and I both know that just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't or won't.

It seems that the interviews weren't "cookie cutter", and I would expect a mixed bag of responses. I just hope there are more Yays than Nays.

I had my inerview yesterday. I had the same questions. He did stress the question "Have you ever been a victim".
I have never had a house fire but I still carry fire insurance and two Fire Extinguisher in the house.

I felt good but not as good as I wanted to feel leaving the interview.

JagerTroop
02-16-2011, 1:15 PM

Your 90 days is up on the 21st. Still no word??

Brandon, what happens when the sheriff does not make a decision within 90 days? Is it hammertime?

srt4geezer
02-16-2011, 1:36 PM
Consider less than lethal force? Yes, I'll shoot the attacker in the knees.

Until the criminals agree to use less than lethal force............nuff said

IncVoid
02-18-2011, 4:04 AM
Consider less than lethal force? Yes, I'll shoot the attacker in the knees.

Until the criminals agree to use less than lethal force............nuff said

Not in life or death situations. Kill or be killed, not wound or be killed.

Ask the officers that shot up that stolen van with the kid in it in north stockton if they thought about using less than lethal force.(I do suppose vehicles are a different story tho)

sfdwarrior
02-18-2011, 3:19 PM
Ok, I was denied by mail about two weeks ago and I applied for a CCW back in March of 2010 with the SJSO. It took that long because they wanted me to go through Lodi PD first and be denied, it took a few months just to get a call back from Chet Somera from Lodi PD and then got the run around from them. By the time I was denied by Lodi it was approaching the New Year, so Sgt. Palmer submitted the application to Sheriff Moore right before Christmas of 2010. I might add that I voted for and visited with Sheriff Moore many times when he use to patrol the I-5 and Highway 12 area and stop into the fire station out there. Now, that I have read some of your interviews with the sheriff, I believe I am a above average citizen who is in public service, fire investigator, a member of the San Joaquin County Arson Task Force, and been approved by DOJ to attend and completed the Ca. PC 832 courses (Arrest, Search, and Seizure & Firearms Familiarization). I say that because we as investigators in public service are subject to testifying against the accused. Also, I travel to and from work in the City of Stockton and various areas of the county to investigate fires in the hardest and most remote areas at various hours. By passing the DOJ background to attend a Ca. Post course tells me that (and I have a letter from them stating) I am NOT restricted from owning or possessing a firearm. I wasn’t the best young adult but that was 20+ years ago and I have never been restricted from owning or possessing a firearm. I will also add that I am a property owner in rural Arizona and holder of an Arizona CCW, 33+ States. I received the SJSO generic denial letter with no explanation for the denial. A portion of the above stated was included in my good cause. I hope this helps. Fight the good fight. SteveG

I would also add the the cover letter Lodi PD sent with the application was very disrespectful and demeaning

BobB35
02-19-2011, 5:29 AM
Ok, I was denied by mail about two weeks ago and I applied for a CCW back in March of 2010 with the SJSO. It took that long because they wanted me to go through Lodi PD first and be denied, it took a few months just to get a call back from Chet Somera from Lodi PD and then got the run around from them. By the time I was denied by Lodi it was approaching the New Year, so Sgt. Palmer submitted the application to Sheriff Moore right before Christmas of 2010. I might add that I voted for and visited with Sheriff Moore many times when he use to patrol the I-5 and Highway 12 area and stop into the fire station out there. Now, that I have read some of your interviews with the sheriff, I believe I am a above average citizen who is in public service, fire investigator, a member of the San Joaquin County Arson Task Force, and been approved by DOJ to attend and completed the Ca. PC 832 courses (Arrest, Search, and Seizure & Firearms Familiarization). I say that because we as investigators in public service are subject to testifying against the accused. Also, I travel to and from work in the City of Stockton and various areas of the county to investigate fires in the hardest and most remote areas at various hours. By passing the DOJ background to attend a Ca. Post course tells me that (and I have a letter from them stating) I am NOT restricted from owning or possessing a firearm. I wasn’t the best young adult but that was 20+ years ago and I have never been restricted from owning or possessing a firearm. I will also add that I am a property owner in rural Arizona and holder of an Arizona CCW, 33+ States. I received the SJSO generic denial letter with no explanation for the denial. A portion of the above stated was included in my good cause. I hope this helps. Fight the good fight. SteveG

I would also add the the cover letter Lodi PD sent with the application was very disrespectful and demeaning

Best of luck in your quest. Long ago when I lived there I inquired of the Keystone cops in lodi about a CCW. Never even applied after I got the runaround and the nasty CCW packet with all of the onerous requirements. If there ever was an agency that needed an FBI investigation it is that one. Bunch of clowns.

SJ may change but I don't think it will be without a fight. It is a county without a soul. I mean really there are 800K people living there and there is nothing except a place for a bunch of major CA freeways to cross. Ergo you end up with massive bedroom communities and the politics are run by a small group of people. Recipe for disaster for the common taxpayer.

wildhawker
02-19-2011, 12:42 PM

I'd be interested in receiving a copy of the Lodi letter, and also if you paid any monies to Lodi PD for your prerequisite denial.

-Brandon

DRAB_81
02-20-2011, 9:19 AM
Ok, I was denied by mail about two weeks ago and I applied for a CCW back in March of 2010 with the SJSO. It took that long because they wanted me to go through Lodi PD first and be denied, it took a few months just to get a call back from Chet Somera from Lodi PD and then got the run around from them.

Not that it helps now, or means that things are going to get better in Lodi, but Chet Somera is no longer in charge of CCW for LPD. Also, Benincasa retired, and they just hired a new Chief from the outside (Newark). Before Somera denied even giving me an application, I asked him how many issued CCW's existed in Lodi. He gave a long awkward pause, and said, "uhhhhhh probably around 40". I'm guessing it's more like 20. I'm pretty sure that if you are the man in charge of CCW permits for a population of roughly 70,000, and there are less than 40 issued permits, one would probably know the EXACT number.

Lodi is the Biggest Little City in CA, and they're not shy about informing you that they're smarter than you...

IncVoid
02-20-2011, 5:21 PM
@sfdwarrior I don't see why anybody would need to be under that bridge where the homeless are, as far as conceal carrying there. Any idea which bridge that was or how old that picture is? 99 or I5? I remember for a bit there were tents up and down the canal like 4 or 5. Tents on the side of the road. I know on the south 99 to crosstown freeway ramp you can see this guys shack. it looks pretty nifty to, elevated off the ground. has a bbq grill there. lots of chickens! I hope he loves eggs or likes plucking and boiling chicken(I have no idea how to get eggs from chickens or make them produce eggs). Realistically, although it is a dangerous place as far as proximity to 40mph traffic and freeway traffic. It is really unused land. I've never seen anybody grilling or around there. Must be gathering stuff.

I'm sure there are lots of "homeless" documentaries about how they gather old stuff and repurpose it. I could probably learn a lot in the SHTF area from these guys.

locksmith
02-21-2011, 9:12 PM
I ALSO APPLIED TO LODI PD AND I WAITED OVER A MONTH AFTER TURNING IN MY PACKET AND THEN I RECIEVED A PHONE CALL FROM OFFICER HOLZ AND HE ASKED A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS OF SOME THINGS THAT CAME UP ON MY BACKGROUND CHECK AND SAID I WILL GET BACK TO YOU, AND HE DID BY MEANS OF A DENIAL LETTER AND THEN I APPLIED TO THE SHERIFF'S DEPT. I DIDN'T PAY ANY MONEY, BUT I FEEL I DIDNT EVEN GET A FAIR SHOT AT THE PROCESS, I HAVE GOTTEN FURTHER WITH S.J.S.O. AND I AM STILL GETTING THE RUN-A-ROUND.

P.S. BRANDON DID YOU GET MY EMAIL?

MrClamperSir
02-21-2011, 9:24 PM
I ALSO APPLIED TO LODI PD AND I WAITED OVER A MONTH AFTER TURNING IN MY PACKET AND THEN I RECIEVED A PHONE CALL FROM OFFICER HOLZ AND HE ASKED A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS OF SOME THINGS THAT CAME UP ON MY BACKGROUND CHECK AND SAID I WILL GET BACK TO YOU, AND HE DID BY MEANS OF A DENIAL LETTER AND THEN I APPLIED TO THE SHERIFF'S DEPT. I DIDN'T PAY ANY MONEY, BUT I FEEL I DIDNT EVEN GET A FAIR SHOT AT THE PROCESS, I HAVE GOTTEN FURTHER WITH S.J.S.O. AND I AM STILL GETTING THE RUN-A-ROUND.

P.S. BRANDON DID YOU GET MY EMAIL?

It will be easier to read your posts in the future IF YOU’RE NOT SHOUTING!

wildhawker
02-21-2011, 9:44 PM
@Locksmith - Got your email.

-Brandon

DRAB_81
02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm on day 77, so some of you have to be close to (or past) 90 days by now. My guess is that he's throwing up a middle finger, and taking the full 90 days for each applicant.

I'm also guessing that there is/was a tactic behind the interviews. It seems like the guys that got interviewed, used previously approved GC statements. If he had just denied them, he would have to explain why one was approved and one not (with the same GC). By interviewing the applicant, he gains the ability to be even more subjective in the final decision. Again, I hope I'm wrong...

JagerTroop
02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Day 84 for me.

@meathead - I hope your theory is wrong, lol. He didn't touch on any other subjct other than GC, so as long as it was similar to an already accepted GC, and your verbal matched your written, I don't see how he could deny based on that. If he was going to deny based on good moral character, I wouldn't see a need for an interview. He'd just look at you background and say "nope". If not, I would see him being more interested in other aspects of our applications, not just GC.

Hopefully we'll find out in the next week or so.

Toe Jam
02-22-2011, 2:19 PM
I'm sure he is taking the full 90 days even if its good or bad news, but I don't know why. How much more is he going learn about someone after the background check and interview.

Has anyone got a CCW?

I've got a few more days. What happens after day 90?

wildhawker
02-22-2011, 5:55 PM
After "Day 90", we show up [again].

I have some info as to what's going on, and all I can say at this point is let's hold judgment until we see actual letters. Specifically, we are looking for outcomes for those applicants who have very similar good cause to those already approved. Those who have their own good cause that is not similarly situated are very probably not in a position to challenge the outcome (yet).

-Brandon

RANGER295
02-23-2011, 4:35 PM
I am past 90 days and still have heard nothing. I believe 90 days was Monday.

wildhawker
02-23-2011, 5:17 PM
I am past 90 days and still have heard nothing. I believe 90 days was Monday.

You should have my phone number; let's talk this week.

-Brandon

evollep3
02-23-2011, 10:12 PM
brandon im still have yet to get your email

Kid Stanislaus
02-23-2011, 11:04 PM
THIS is going to be interesting. :lurk5:

locksmith
02-24-2011, 8:41 PM
It will be easier to read your posts in the future IF YOU’RE NOT SHOUTING!

Sorry didnt mean to shout :D:p

JagerTroop
02-27-2011, 12:19 PM
After "Day 90", we show up [again].

I have some info as to what's going on, and all I can say at this point is let's hold judgment until we see actual letters. Specifically, we are looking for outcomes for those applicants who have very similar good cause to those already approved. Those who have their own good cause that is not similarly situated are very probably not in a position to challenge the outcome (yet).

-Brandon

Today is day 89. However, I'm not too confident that SJSO will abide by the law and make their decision tomorrow. My gc is similar (but not identical) to several known gc statements.

What is the next step, after they fail to respond?

wildhawker
02-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Today is day 89. However, I'm not too confident that SJSO will abide by the law and make their decision tomorrow. My gc is similar (but not identical) to several known gc statements.

What is the next step, after they fail to respond?

Keep me posted, and remain patient. I'll update everyone as I can, but understand that not everything can be posted publicly.

IncVoid
02-27-2011, 3:46 PM
Wasn't it somewhere written in this thread that Sheriff Moore can't stop what is going to happen like in Sacramento, and this is his way of "politically" saying no? Like the people in Wisconsin's state senate not showing up. Nobody can say he approved or disapproved if he didn't do either.

I wonder if the post marks are day 90 for people maybe then?

JagerTroop
02-28-2011, 11:03 PM
90 days has come and gone.

Brandon, check your email.

Lancear15
03-02-2011, 7:33 AM
I'm well past 90 also.

Nor-Cal
03-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Brandon sent you a email I'm past 90 days!

wildhawker
03-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Everyone, I am tracking and do understand the timeframes at issue. Please remain patient and remember there are multiple wheels turning here at once, not all of which are visible.

-Brandon

Heatseeker
03-03-2011, 5:01 AM
My application is approaching 90 days as well(Monday).

Keep them wheels turning!!!

Toe Jam
03-03-2011, 8:03 AM
Brandon, I have my CCW stuff at home I'll scan it and email it to you. Do you need just the GC or everything?

JasonB
03-03-2011, 2:00 PM
I recieved my denial letter ... no reason given. My 90 days was to be up next week. I did have an interview with the Moore on Fri the 11th.

Whom should I contact to take this situation further...?

Without going into great details, I have the same Good Cause as others that have been granted CCW permits.

Heatseeker
03-03-2011, 2:49 PM
I received my denial letter today as well...

My GC was "self defense".

Next step?

Lancear15
03-03-2011, 3:02 PM
I'm on day 99 still no response. ...

JagerTroop
03-03-2011, 4:48 PM
Received my denial letter as well. I have what seemed to be overwhelming good cause.

No reason for denial, but it did contain this gem...
"There are also many other options available for less than lethal defense options that can be utilized without a permit" - what a joke.

Lancear15
03-03-2011, 5:06 PM
Were any of you who have been denied past 90 days?

JagerTroop
03-03-2011, 5:10 PM
Where any of you who have been denied past 90 days?

My letter was dated 3-2-11. That would be day 92.

DRAB_81
03-03-2011, 5:11 PM
I received my denial letter today also.

wildhawker
03-03-2011, 5:27 PM
My new understanding is that a good number of denial letters went out this week. Please keep your chin up, we're just getting started. There are key events taking place in the next 14 days, so do remain patient as legal work doesn't happen at internet speed.

Reform is going to take some work, but we will reform Sheriff Moore's policy with or without him.

locksmith
03-03-2011, 5:58 PM
I also recieved my denial letter in the mail today it was dated 3/1/2011 and post marked 3/2/2011.
my 90 days was going to be up on march 8,

check your email brandon 1 inbound

MrClamperSir
03-04-2011, 3:27 PM
:lurk5:

Lancear15
03-04-2011, 4:09 PM
Day 100 nothing...

Biscuitbreath
03-05-2011, 2:21 PM
Got my denial letter today. March 15 will be 90 days for me.

locksmith
03-06-2011, 5:13 PM
does any body have an idea as to what will happen if my denial stands, after my appeal ?

Is there a panel of people that listen, cause it seems a little biased that the same person to give the denial is also the same person that oversees the appeal.
It just seems that too much power is given to one person, and this time Sheriff Moore happens to be the person this time.

If answers need to given beyond the room please pm me.

wildhawker
03-06-2011, 11:11 PM
I doubt anyone but Sheriff Moore would hear your appeal, if there is one. The discretion is absolutely improper and unconstitutional, and that's why we're suing in Federal court to take away this discretion. When we win, the sheriff becomes a secretary.

-Brandon

does any body have an idea as to what will happen if my denial stands, after my appeal ?

Is there a panel of people that listen, cause it seems a little biased that the same person to give the denial is also the same person that oversees the appeal.
It just seems that too much power is given to one person, and this time Sheriff Moore happens to be the person this time.

If answers need to given beyond the room please pm me.

JagerTroop
03-06-2011, 11:18 PM
My new understanding is that a good number of denial letters went out this week. Please keep your chin up, we're just getting started. There are key events taking place in the next 14 days, so do remain patient as legal work doesn't happen at internet speed.

Reform is going to take some work, but we will reform Sheriff Moore's policy with or without him.

I hope this isn't some sick "two weeks" joke.

When the sheriff's policy is reformed, will we have to reapply, or simply appeal? Also, do we get stuck waiting in line again, or will the appeals be expedited?

wildhawker
03-07-2011, 12:34 AM
I hope this isn't some sick "two weeks" joke.

When the sheriff's policy is reformed, will we have to reapply, or simply appeal? Also, do we get stuck waiting in line again, or will the appeals be expedited?

Not a joke, but I also don't mean it will be done and over in 2 weeks either. There is more than 1 angle being addressed in San Joaquin; all resolve using different force (which also means not at the same time). Those denied will need to re-apply, but that is limited to $20 for those who already applied and were Live Scanned.

Lancear15
03-07-2011, 4:26 PM
Denied, letter dated March 3rd, pitney bowes stamped March 4th (which is not proof it went out that day because that type of stamp is done at the sherrifs office. Either way it was well past 90 days. So how do I seek retribution for my rights being violated? I'm ready...

harbinger007
03-07-2011, 5:30 PM
Man, I was hoping that you were actually going to get approved since you had stretched out longer than the other denials. I'm starting to think I should put up a trailer park on my farm here in Sacramento County for you unfortunate souls to call "home". Don't think my wife would be too keen on me having a bunch of "gun nuts" over for a long-term visit, though. ;)

ChrisO
03-07-2011, 5:46 PM
I will be applying soon just don't have the scratch right now. How much did the process cost all of you guys that applied if you don't mind me asking?

Lancear15
03-07-2011, 6:04 PM
Man, I was hoping that you were actually going to get approved since you had stretched out longer than the other denials. I'm starting to think I should put up a trailer park on my farm here in Sacramento County for you unfortunate souls to call "home". Don't think my wife would be too keen on me having a bunch of "gun nuts" over for a long-term visit, though. ;)

Hehe, no one was hoping more than I. I don't know about the trailer park, but all of us denied souls should at least have a range day.

Email sent Wildhawker.

JagerTroop
03-07-2011, 6:57 PM
Range day sounds good. Sunday? Set something up and PM us on it.

Mr. Salty
03-07-2011, 10:24 PM
You know, I actually am a little disappointed with the Sheriff.

Sheriff Moore made it a point to attend all of the Friends of the NRA Dinners that the Stockton Committee put on through the years.

I held various posts within that organization over a five year period and he always made a point to tell the Committee Members as well as all the others there that he "was a big supporter of the 2nd amendment."

I cannot and will not speak to the official position of the NRA.

What I will say personally is that the Sheriff has denied friends of mine that actually served on that committee for many years. These were individuals that owned businesses and were strong supporters of law enforcement.

At a time when the Sheriffs resources are being cut and the average citizen is being exposed to a more dangerous environment due to the reduction of enforcement activities the Sheriff chooses to deny his constituents the right of self defense.

Make no mistake. Sheriff Moore, you will not be re-elected as people such as myself will get behind Calguns Foundation and your opponent in the next election.

Mr. Salty

wildhawker
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
All,

I need to stress that there are key events that must take place before I can comment further. Your patience is more than appreciated, but required. Trust that wheels are in motion and that I'll loop everyone in as soon as possible.

Ponder: might the Sheriff have chased his ego down the rabbit hole?

There are next steps to discuss soon. As my good friend H. Paul Payne would say, this is a game of "pain, and pain avoidance". Be prepared to offer pain.

pdRH5wzCQQw

Heatseeker
03-08-2011, 5:40 AM
I will be applying soon just don't have the scratch right now. How much did the process cost all of you guys that applied if you don't mind me asking?

$140 per denial...

I can't wait for the reform.

wildhawker
03-08-2011, 5:57 AM
Keep in mind that they cannot ever make you give them more prints or an application form (unless you wish to modify your GC).

Toe Jam
03-08-2011, 7:02 AM
Keep in mind that they cannot ever make you give them more prints or an application form (unless you wish to modify your GC).

what about the thumb print on CCW

ChrisO
03-08-2011, 8:22 AM
What if you got a livescan last year at the sheriff dept? I applied for a job and went through background and the whole hiring process with them last year. If I'm not mistaken livescans are good for 2-3 years correct?

Lancear15
03-08-2011, 8:40 AM
No you still have to do the livescan again

ChrisO
03-08-2011, 8:49 AM
Of course.

JagerTroop
03-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Of course.

Of course "of course". They gots tuh make dat munny. I had 2 LSs done in 3 months(coe and ccw). Every occurance warrants it's own scan.

jb7706
03-08-2011, 2:17 PM
Of course "of course". They gots tuh make dat munny. I had 2 LSs done in 3 months(coe and ccw). Every occurance warrants it's own scan.

They cannot make you pay for another Live Scan for your CCW. Ever, or until the law changes. As it stands right now Live Scan for CCW is good forever.

JagerTroop
03-08-2011, 2:21 PM
They cannot make you pay for another Live Scan for your CCW. Ever, or until the law changes. As it stands right now Live Scan for CCW is good forever.

Yes, we know. However that is not the case with myself and ChrisO. I was live scanned for a COE, then for a CCW. Chris was asking if his livescan for applying with the SO was good for his CCW application. The answer is no.

call_me_ski
03-09-2011, 8:03 PM
Approved Today with a restriction. Application went in end of Nov.

Biscuitbreath
03-09-2011, 8:44 PM
Hmmm...to deny...to approve with a restriction...it must be a challenge to keep yourself in check with such authority.

Heatseeker
03-10-2011, 5:49 AM
What kind of restriction???

DRAB_81
03-10-2011, 7:38 AM

Like Heatseeker, I'd like to know what kind of restriction Moore imposed. Also, since it will be public record soon anyway, what's the gist of your Good Cause Statement?

Lancear15
03-10-2011, 2:04 PM
Like Heatseeker, I'd like to know what kind of restriction Moore imposed. Also, since it will be public record soon anyway, what's the gist of your Good Cause Statement?

+1 :lurk5:

IncVoid
03-10-2011, 4:34 PM
Broke as always...Sad to see you guys get denied.
Just lemme know when the open carry begins(doubt it). But I have a tazer. I wish they told you how to legally carry a tazer. Tazer is bull****. My drunk friend took the blunt contacts and just made his arm jiggle.

Window_Seat
03-10-2011, 7:33 PM

Likewise.

Erik.

09rubicon
03-11-2011, 1:27 PM
Well I recieved my application from SGT Palmer today, time to fill it out. After our conversation I am pretty confident. He said I have one of the best GC he can think of and it shouldnt be a problem (I honestly wish it were a different situation). Wish me luck!

MrClamperSir
03-12-2011, 10:14 AM

So......can you tell us what the restriction is?

DRAB_81
03-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Where'd you go call_me_ski???

Do I smell a troll?

JagerTroop
03-14-2011, 12:05 PM
The restriction limits carry to the confines of his home :p

locksmith
03-14-2011, 8:33 PM
I see that we are pretty close to the 14 day mark, does anybody have any idea what is happening ?

wildhawker
03-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Where'd you go call_me_ski???

Do I smell a troll?

He's no troll. Wisely, he's doing what I asked and standing by for now.

-Brandon

DRAB_81
03-15-2011, 8:48 AM
He's no troll. Wisely, he's doing what I asked and standing by for now.

-Brandon

Good to know. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought it was strange that he posted what he did, and then disappeared. 3 or 4 of us asked for details over the last week, but nobody got an answer until now. I know we have to be patient, but it's getting increasingly diffcult to sit here in the dark...

Heatseeker
03-15-2011, 8:54 AM
Good to know. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought it was strange that he posted what he did, and then disappeared. 3 or 4 of us asked for details over the last week, but nobody got an answer until now. I know we have to be patient, but it's getting increasingly diffcult to sit here in the dark...
This^. :(

All for a good cause...

Nor-Cal
03-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Eagerly waiting for the next move.

locksmith
03-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Yes, I know it is for a good cause, to be patient, but it sucks that some people can't move out of the way for progress to move forward, and the people with the power tend to abuse it. Power trips is what it seems like

wildhawker
03-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Yes, I know it is for a good cause, to be patient, but it sucks that some people can't move out of the way for progress to move forward, and the people with the power tend to abuse it. Power trips is what it seems like

You should tell the NRA - loudly, and both Virginia and CA leadership - that they have a member in Sheriff Moore (allegedly, as per information from interviews with the sheriff) who, as a sheriff in charge of issuing carry permits, refuses to do so for the self-defense of law-abiding gun owners and NRA members. They might want to consider having a sheriff like that, proudly waving his NRA flag around as a defense against our request for him to respect fundamental rights, as a member.

-Brandon