PDA

View Full Version : San Diego -- APPLY to Get a Spot in Line

Pages : [1] 2

Gray Peterson
10-14-2010, 11:55 PM
While Sheriff Gore decided not to appeal the decision of the three judge panel, several other parties, including the California Attorney General, filed motions to intervene in the case, as well as petitions for rehearing en banc with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. On February 28, 2014, the Ninth Circuit granted a stay in the case. Since that time, the Ninth Circuit has sought briefing on various issues, with the most recent pleadings being filed by December 24, 2014. On March 26, 2015 Chief Judge Thomas of the Ninth Circuit issued an order for the case to be heard en banc by the full Ninth Circuit.

Given the status of the case with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the fact that there are other procedural steps before the court’s decision becomes final, the Sheriff’s Department’s policies and procedures remain in effect and are unchanged.

The Sheriff’s Department continues to process CCW applications for those applicants that meet the current legal requirement to show good cause.

Applications for CCW’s based on the cause of “personal protection” may be dropped off at the Sheriff’s License Division and will be held in abeyance until the Ninth Circuit has completed its analysis of the issue.

Should the case be decided on the basis of “personal protection,” the Sheriff’s Department will begin to process applications held in abeyance in the order that they were received. Applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s Licensing Division with instructions on how to complete the process.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

jtyner
10-18-2010, 3:45 PM
...our intention is to contact you volunteers with specific instructions on how to proceed as we move forward with case development. Not everyone will be tasked with the same thing, and timing will be unique to each county.

So... stand by?

Casual_Shooter
10-18-2010, 3:50 PM

_ _ _

jshoebot
10-19-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm also waiting for orders!

N6ATF
10-19-2010, 12:27 AM

_ _ _

:p

Todd98SE
10-19-2010, 7:05 AM
Ready and waiting sir.

McCrown
10-19-2010, 2:23 PM
2 weeks? Right?

craneman
10-20-2010, 6:21 PM
Late showing up, but ready for instructions.:chris:

GMG
10-20-2010, 7:01 PM
Just received the message!

chewy352
10-21-2010, 1:29 AM
Just received the message!

What message? I got the email of just the main release but no specific instructions for San Diego.

horsetrader
10-21-2010, 3:19 PM
awaiting orders, sir.

grammaton76
10-21-2010, 3:42 PM
You know, folks, you can subscribe without posting to the thread. We don't need to fill the first several pages with "I'm here" and "let me know", etc etc.

Just click "thread tools" and then "subscribe" from the drop-down menu right above the top post.

Untamed1972
10-22-2010, 9:36 AM
Does anyone know if SDSO does neighbor interviews as part of the application investigation?

Rossi357
10-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Which course of action in SD County will get shall issue to happen sooner? Ed's case in Fed court, or this action using the good cause statments.

Gray Peterson
10-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Which course of action in SD County will get shall issue to happen sooner? Ed's case in Fed court, or this action using the good cause statments.

Well, the point of this drill is to basically get the counties into statutory compliance.

Casual_Shooter
10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry to sound dense... but can you point me to the instructions for this "drill". I've donated to my county, but is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?

Rossi357
10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Sorry to sound dense... but can you point me to the instructions for this "drill". I've donated to my county, but is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?

I think we are waiting for accepted good cause statements. Then we will be advised on a course of action.

loather
11-11-2010, 6:40 PM
I'm currently reading through the San Diego requirements. In there, it states that we'd be required to submit character references. Are they legally allowed to do that? Additionally, it states further down that character references generally aren't required for judges, former law enforcement, and SO reserves. Doesn't this run afoul of equal protection?

wildhawker
11-12-2010, 2:15 AM
I'm currently reading through the San Diego requirements. In there, it states that we'd be required to submit character references. Are they legally allowed to do that? Additionally, it states further down that character references generally aren't required for judges, former law enforcement, and SO reserves. Doesn't this run afoul of equal protection?

No, and yes.

budprop
11-12-2010, 6:29 AM
No, and yes.

Uhhhh.... ok, good answer, thanks.

loather
11-12-2010, 7:55 AM
No, and yes.

Excellent. I'm available and willing to make waves if need be.

guns4life
11-12-2010, 7:58 AM
I'm ready to go, just say the word and I'll submit my paperwork.

Untamed1972
11-12-2010, 9:01 AM

Where they make it even stickier is they require the references to be from SD county residents, which is in effect a de facto length of residency requirement.

As for the LEOs I can see why they would exempt them only in they they've had a far more detailed and indepth background investgation done on them already which would provide and investigator FAR more info to look at then is contained on the standard DOJ app. Not saying I agree with it, just that I can see why.

But even for a full LEO background investigation letters are not required, only contact info for the references. It seems a pointless exercise to require the letters if the investigator is going to contact them personally for further interview anyway.

Crom
11-16-2010, 8:19 AM
Okay, so How do we get San Diego Sheriff's Office to drop the illegal three character reference letters? Is Jason Davis going to send them a nasty letter anytime soon?

Untamed1972
11-16-2010, 9:02 AM
Okay, so How do we get San Diego Sheriff's Office to drop the illegal three character reference letters? Is Jason Davis going to send them a nasty letter anytime soon?

^^ :)

Also, to combat that counties claims that they approve 90% of all applicants, I'm thinkin' its close to being time for a that SD CCW application day with a couple of hundred "GC = Self Defense" apps so at a minimum we can start racking up some denials, but I'm willing to wait a month to see what the judge has to say in the Peruta decision.

grammaton76
11-16-2010, 2:57 PM
Also, to combat that counties claims that they approve 90% of all applicants, I'm thinkin' its close to being time for a that SD CCW application day with a couple of hundred "GC = Self Defense" apps so at a minimum we can start racking up some denials, but I'm willing to wait a month to see what the judge has to say in the Peruta decision.

The only time it's close to, is time for us on the sidelines (myself included) to sit down, shut up, and wait patiently to see what CGF requests of us.

I really don't think we'll ever have a "racking up mass denials" drive. Any denials being pursued will most likely need to be from disabled, minority, gay, etc complainants in the event that the suit has to escalate into appeals. Anyone who would be useful for a denial, has probably already been contacted.

The rest of us on the sidelines are only useful for two things: financial contributions, or eventually helping run CCW application drives once SDSO has been forced to cave in.

Untamed1972
11-17-2010, 9:30 AM
The only time it's close to, is time for us on the sidelines (myself included) to sit down, shut up, and wait patiently to see what CGF requests of us.

I really don't think we'll ever have a "racking up mass denials" drive. Any denials being pursued will most likely need to be from disabled, minority, gay, etc complainants in the event that the suit has to escalate into appeals. Anyone who would be useful for a denial, has probably already been contacted.

The rest of us on the sidelines are only useful for two things: financial contributions, or eventually helping run CCW application drives once SDSO has been forced to cave in.

Thank you for further marginalizing "heterosexual white males" as the only persons in our society who are "non-class" citizens. For the purpose of picking plaintiffs I understand the value of extra flavor of certain types of people. But simply for the purpose of filling the sheriff's files with denials for lack of GC so they cant claim a 90% approval rate, why does it matter who they are? Then from those denials you pick the best for plaintiffs.

The usefulness of statistics on denials was not of my own creation. And personally sitting in the courtroom listening to County counsel boast of their "90% approval rate" leads me to believe there is some validity to the value of the stats.

Not to mention did I say anything about "screw CFG and lets all go apply?" There has been plenty of indication that depending on Peruta outcome, the call for SD applicants is coming very soon.

Gray Peterson
11-17-2010, 9:57 AM
Thank you for further marginalizing "heterosexual white males" as the only persons in our society who are "non-class" citizens.

Otis McDonald was not an accident. Deanna Sykes is not an accident. Shelly Parker (who should have been the national symbol of overturning the DC handgun ban had it not been for the Navegar standard) is not an accident. Tom Palmer (of Palmer v. DC) is not an accident. My case is not an accident. These are all well planned cases with specifically sympathetic plaintiffs due to their circumstances. They are the most "politically correct", regardless of your own misgivings as to the underpinnings of that belief.

That being said, symbol plaintiffs are less important to a writ of mandate case because it's a state statutory law issue.

Untamed1972
11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Otis McDonald was not an accident. Deanna Sykes is not an accident. Shelly Parker (who should have been the national symbol of overturning the DC handgun ban had it not been for the Navegar standard) is not an accident. Tom Palmer (of Palmer v. DC) is not an accident. My case is not an accident. These are all well planned cases with specifically sympathetic plaintiffs due to their circumstances. They are the most "politically correct", regardless of your own misgivings as to the underpinnings of that belief.

That being said, symbol plaintiffs are less important to a writ of mandate case because it's a state statutory law issue.

Like I said....I understand the handpicking of plaintiffs when it comes time for litigation.

For the purpose of racking up stats on denials for "GC = self defense" to kill the counties boast of "90% approval", why does it matter?

But hopefully in about 3 weeks that wont be needed in SD county.

Gray Peterson
11-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Like I said....I understand the handpicking of plaintiffs when it comes time for litigation.

For the purpose of racking up stats on denials for "GC = self defense" to kill the counties boast of "90% approval", why does it matter?

But hopefully in about 3 weeks that wont be needed in SD county.

It doesn't, which is sorta what I was saying.

Untamed1972
11-17-2010, 10:58 AM
It doesn't, which is sorta what I was saying.

:thumbsup:

grammaton76
11-17-2010, 3:14 PM
Note the emphasized sections in bold:

I figure it's unlikely that there'll need to be a mass denials drive. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure they could easily get 200 useful applicants, without even touching white straight males.

Thank you for further marginalizing "heterosexual white males" as the only persons in our society who are "non-class" citizens.

Well, get used to it - that's reality. Aggravates me to no end, but this is the system we're in.

Untamed1972
11-17-2010, 3:44 PM
I figure it's unlikely that there'll need to be a mass denials drive. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure they could easily get 200 useful applicants, without even touching white straight males.

So maybe all us straight white dudes should just claim to be gay for the purposes of application. How are they gonna check?

Can you claim to be a "non-practicing/celebate homosexual"? Or how about a bi-sexual who is in a "women only phase" for the time being? LOL

I got a better idea....how about the 2A just applies to everyone so we can skip all mumbo jumbo?

ETA: I had a thought last night....how about we get Hetero white males added to the endangered species list, then we'd be protected under the endangered species act! If anyone even looks at you wrong they'd be in deep doo! LOL

grammaton76
11-17-2010, 3:51 PM
So maybe all us straight white dudes should just claim to be gay for the purposes of application. How are they gonna check?

Can you claim to be a "non-practicing/celebate homosexual"? Or how about a bi-sexual who is in a "women only phase" for the time being? LOL

Myself, I'd just hassle my wife until she applies. I think most wives would be ok with the paperwork if the husband's paying the fees. Heck, most of us could probably talk our mothers into applying as well. Those whose mothers have passed on, may have daughters old enough to apply.

I got a better idea....how about the 2A just applies to everyone so we can skip all mumbo jumbo?

That'd be awesome.

sd_shooter
11-30-2010, 1:52 PM
Bump, more San Diego sponsors needed :D

Firemark
12-01-2010, 8:13 AM
Bump, more San Diego sponsors needed :D

direct please to sponsor page, how much $$$????

and explain to mke again why?

ddestruel
12-01-2010, 8:17 AM
direct please to sponsor page, how much $$$????

and explain to mke again why?

link is in his signature

GuyW
12-01-2010, 11:08 AM
As for the LEOs I can see why they would exempt them only in they they've had a far more detailed and indepth background investgation done on them already which would provide and investigator FAR more info to look at then is contained on the standard DOJ app. Not saying I agree with it, just that I can see why.

And everyone knows that's a reasonable approach, as evidenced by the investigations of Craig Peyer, the Oceanside sex-Chippie (Carabahlo ??), the SDPD officer that trashed his Murrietta (?) house, etc etc etc

sd_shooter
12-03-2010, 2:10 PM
bump

sd_shooter
12-10-2010, 3:22 PM
Ok, since Peruta is now over (at least Round 1), is it time to apply yet... or still just time to sit back and wait?

:confused:

Casual_Shooter
12-10-2010, 3:58 PM
Ok, since Peruta is now over (at least Round 1), is it time to apply yet... or still just time to sit back and wait?

Pure speculation on my part:

I think they are waiting to get a hold of the Good Cause Statements from the SD Sheriff's dept before they tell those of us waiting to apply.

The reasoning would be that if they have proof of accepted Good Causes, and one of us is denied for the same good cause, they can then move forward with a lawsuit against the Sheriff for not applying the law equally.

[/speculation]

Anti-Hero
12-10-2010, 3:59 PM
Isn't that what Peruta tried to do, and was dismissed?

sd_shooter
12-10-2010, 4:14 PM
Isn't that what Peruta tried to do, and was dismissed?

That's what I thought too.

blakdawg
12-10-2010, 7:34 PM
That's correct - but what the ruling in Peruta said was that the plaintiffs hadn't done a good enough job showing that their circumstances were identical to those of people who were approved.

This is what the court said:

Plaintiffs submitted more than 700 pages of applications and renewals. Id. The court observed that “some applicants were granted concealed weapons licenses after stating on paper basically the same grounds for issuance upon which plaintiffs’ applications were denied.” Id. Nonetheless, the court held there was no genuine issue of material fact because the records did not establish those who received licenses were similarly situated to plaintiffs. Id. The records were incomplete—they did not reveal information compiled in background checks, oral interviews and the like—and the records did not establish a causal connection between factors suggesting “privileged class” and the issuance of a concealed weapons license. Id. The court concluded that, “without evidence of anything more than vagaries in [] administration,” plaintiffs equal protection claim could not survive summary judgment. Id.

Like the plaintiffs in March, Plaintiffs here cannot demonstrate they were treated differently than similarly situated others. To show disparate treatment, Plaintiffs have offered a number of HDSA renewal applications as a contrast to Plaintiffs initial applications. See Exs. U-PP. But the two types of applications are not comparable; renewal applications are generally issued on the spot and subject to less rigorous documentation requirements than initial applications. See Pelowitz Decl. ∂ 12. Just one of the Plaintiffs contends his renewal was denied, and in that case, the renewal was granted following an appeal. See Exs. K-S. Accordingly, the evidence introduced by Plaintiffs does not establish or create a genuine issue of material fact regarding whether similarly situated individuals were treated differently. At most, it demonstrates “vagaries in [] administration.” See March, 2001 WL 1112110, at *5 (N.D.Cal. 2001). Moreover, for the reasons stated above, Plaintiffs have not demonstrated the denials of concealed weapons licenses to them were based on impermissible grounds. Defendant’s policy does not favor HDSA members in violation of the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

,, so it's not just good enough to copy someone else's good cause statement and wait for approval - at least not today in San Diego County.

wildhawker
12-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Our Initiative continues unimpeded and full steam ahead. Stay tuned!

In the meantime, try to find a few vendors willing to support their customers' civil rights and sponsor Carry License Reform in that area. We need all the help we can get.

Skullster
12-12-2010, 6:20 PM
I sent in my $100 to sponsor San Diego County today. Transaction ID: 3PF4353207094452L

J.D.Allen
12-13-2010, 1:18 PM

This is nothing. In Imperial county they require reference letters to be from LEO's. So if you don't know any quite well, you're just SOL.

12-14-2010, 1:43 PM
Funds sent. Transaction ID: 4655-0222-2478-9879

:chris:

fighting4theconstitution
12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
I applied and received mine in about 4-5 months after all the paperwork, fees and shooting took place. And all that with the current sheriff in office.

SDS-Ruger
12-27-2010, 9:03 PM
so how much longer till SD is ready to go?

J.D.Allen
12-29-2010, 2:41 PM
I applied and received mine in about 4-5 months after all the paperwork, fees and shooting took place. And all that with the current sheriff in office.

Care to share your angle?

Sgt5811
01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Any progress?

wildhawker
01-11-2011, 2:56 PM
Yes, slowly but surely. Remain patient.

N6ATF
01-11-2011, 3:16 PM
Two more weeks!

Laser Sailor
01-18-2011, 5:43 PM
Anything a broke college student can do to help? I can't swing $100 is there somewhere I can contribute a different amount?

Casual_Shooter
01-19-2011, 9:49 AM
Anything a broke college student can do to help? I can't swing $100 is there somewhere I can contribute a different amount?

Same here haha

Maybe you two could pool your money and make one (combined) donation?

loose_electron
01-22-2011, 3:32 PM
Whats the latest here?

SDS-Ruger
01-22-2011, 10:17 PM
:twoweeks: just another:twoweeks:

Kid Stanislaus
01-22-2011, 11:19 PM

Was your good cause "Self Protection" or did you have some business related good cause?

Kid Stanislaus
01-22-2011, 11:21 PM
All things come to those who are patient.

Sgt5811
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Nap time. I just finished my sandwich.

SDS-Ruger
02-06-2011, 10:58 PM
anything new for SD it has been a while since we have heard anything??

Crom
02-07-2011, 9:32 AM
I am restating Brandon's statement (from another thread) for the good of all here. He posted this back on December 11th, 2010 regarding good cause statements:

[San Diego] County just this week confirmed that they will be producing the records. It may be some time before we have those in front of us (SD Sheriff's Office estimates ~31 hours of manpower to produce/redact, and as such are not making it a priority).

We'll call that "phase 2".

At some point in CGF's strategy, the CCW license policy and procedures of the San Diego Sheriff will need to be modified. I am sure CGF is aware of this and we should not bother them with small questions.

I see the following problems with the SD Sheriff's CCW policies and procedures:

Required (3) Character reference letters are illegal.
They will not accept a CCW application unless the applicant has taken the eight hour CCW safety class first. I see this as a back door method to front loading costs to the applicant.
All documents related to the interview must be dated within (30) days or the "outdated" document will be held invalid. This is true of the CCW eight-hour safety training certificate. That is a very narrow window and if an individual chooses to apply they must plan accordingly.

Not a complaint, but just a statement... The eight hour CCW training class must be taken from an approved list of (10) CCW safety trainers. The training can be as much as $160 or as low as $80.

xInfidel
03-24-2011, 8:08 PM
I am ready to see some good cause statements, I think I have a pretty good cause myself - just want to see how it compares to accepted ones.

Firemark
03-25-2011, 7:54 AM
Dont bother, I went in for my prescreening interview last month, after spending some time crafting and developing my GC statement with professional help from ccwusa.org. I thought I had a good solid statement too, but the clerk told me flat out, and I have it on tape, "We cant give you a ccw, if we give you one then every other Firefighter will come in here and want one." That was the reason given why it would fail, not that my reasons for danger to myself or family, but because they dont want the door opened for others to get their ccw's

Then she went on to blather about liability and lack of documented threats, and its unsafe if we gave everyone a ccw. The fact that I regularly testify in court against criminals I encounter as a first responder didnt matter.

and before all you nay sayers start on the band wagon, I already have my Florida and Utah out of state permits, told her that too, still didnt matter. Sheriff Gore has to many liberal and democratic supporters pulling his strings. I recently saw Gore with the SDPD chief and Lori Saldana at a function together shaking hands and being very buddy buddy. There is an anti gun agenda and it is being controlled by elected and appointed peoples. Dont think anything short of a federal court order will change anything in this state.

xInfidel
03-25-2011, 9:54 AM
Dont bother, I went in for my prescreening interview last month, after spending some time crafting and developing my GC statement with professional help from ccwusa.org. I thought I had a good solid statement too, but the clerk told me flat out, and I have it on tape, "We cant give you a ccw, if we give you one then every other Firefighter will come in here and want one." That was the reason given why it would fail, not that my reasons for danger to myself or family, but because they dont want the door opened for others to get their ccw's

Then she went on to blather about liability and lack of documented threats, and its unsafe if we gave everyone a ccw. The fact that I regularly testify in court against criminals I encounter as a first responder didnt matter.

and before all you nay sayers start on the band wagon, I already have my Florida and Utah out of state permits, told her that too, still didnt matter. Sheriff Gore has to many liberal and democratic supporters pulling his strings. I recently saw Gore with the SDPD chief and Lori Saldana at a function together shaking hands and being very buddy buddy. There is an anti gun agenda and it is being controlled by elected and appointed peoples. Dont think anything short of a federal court order will change anything in this state.
They want documented threats? Ha... such a joke, I think you have a good enough reason when I line them up to other accepted CCW's in other counties.

Monte
03-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Thank you, PsychGuy274, for getting that reference letter requirement nuked!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=413398

Untamed1972
05-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Any updates on when the GC statements will be available?

N6ATF
05-10-2011, 1:23 AM
I doubt Gore will release them while Peruta is pending.

Untamed1972
05-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I doubt Gore will release them while Peruta is pending.

The public records request is unrelated to Peruta. He can't refuse to the release the records because of an unrelated lawsuit. At best he can drag his feet.

N6ATF
05-10-2011, 10:38 AM
He can drag his feet until Peruta is done, then. :D

Untamed1972
05-10-2011, 10:53 AM
He can drag his feet until Peruta is done, then. :D

Unless the CGF steamroller decided to give him a legal b!tch-slapping for failing to respond to their request in a timely manner as required by law.....but then again we know the law doesn't seem to mean much Shoot-on-sight Gore.

And actually......If I'm not mistaken he had already had to release them to the Peruta legal team because extensive reference was made to the finding in those documents in the Peruta filings and oral arguments. So Gore would have no reason to hold them back for that because he has already released them once already regarding that ongoing case.

Bigtime1
05-31-2011, 4:31 PM
Unless the CGF steamroller decided to give him a legal b!tch-slapping for failing to respond to their request in a timely manner as required by law.....but then again we know the law doesn't seem to mean much Shoot-on-sight Gore.

And actually......If I'm not mistaken he had already had to release them to the Peruta legal team because extensive reference was made to the finding in those documents in the Peruta filings and oral arguments. So Gore would have no reason to hold them back for that because he has already released them once already regarding that ongoing case.

There are GC statements quoted in the Peruta Brief:

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/carry/Peruta-Opening-Brief-20110523.pdf

Bigtime1
07-07-2011, 3:35 PM
Its been a little over two weeks now, any news on Gore releasing the GC statements?

Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

SDS-Ruger
07-08-2011, 12:55 PM
:iagree:
but we will be told:twoweeks:
if their is any new news it will probably be in the main 2A part

chillincody
08-23-2011, 1:55 PM
so wait im so confused we can get ccw in sd county ????? im been reading the laws and stuff but everything is soooo vage or worded confusing .sorry if this sounds dumb to you guys but im thinking about a ccw after i was robbed at gun point (357 put to the back of my head ) and a few year later someone broke into my house at 3am had to chase them out with my rifle :21: any help would be so awesome

notme92069
08-23-2011, 2:09 PM
so wait im so confused we can get ccw in sd county ????? im been reading the laws and stuff but everything is soooo vage or worded confusing .sorry if this sounds dumb to you guys but im thinking about a ccw after i was robbed at gun point (357 put to the back of my head ) and a few year later someone broke into my house at 3am had to chase them out with my rifle :21: any help would be so awesome

Unless you contributed to Gore's campaign...NO

Casual_Shooter
08-23-2011, 2:17 PM

People have successfully received a LTC (I guess that's the new term for CCW on the forum) in San Diego county. But it seems those are very few and far between.

That being said, your situation would probably not get you a LTC. Just because something happened in the past does not mean it would happen in the future... at least that's probably what they'd tell you when you got denied.

chillincody
08-23-2011, 2:31 PM
thats stupid so pretty much us good clean law abiding citizens can pretty much only legally do open carry (sorry to saying it not gonna go into that i promise) while the criminal can aquire un registered illegal weapons pretty easily hummm.... i know im young still and dont understand alot of stuff but isnt that kinda ridiculous

notme92069
08-23-2011, 2:34 PM
thats stupid so pretty much us good clean law abiding citizens can pretty much only legally do open carry (sorry to saying it not gonna go into that i promise) while the criminal can aquire un registered illegal weapons pretty easily hummm.... i know im young still and dont understand alot of stuff but isnt that kinda ridiculous

Of course! Gun control only controls the law abiding citizen. Criminals, by definition, BREAK THE LAW.

chillincody
08-23-2011, 2:54 PM
but arent places where you can carry a firearm like az texas etc.. have lower crime rates then sd ????

MatrixCPA
08-23-2011, 4:25 PM
but arent places where you can carry a firearm like az texas etc.. have lower crime rates then sd ????

In the research I have done covering world-wide application of gun controls, you can find examples to argue both positions. Places that have strong gun control with low crime. Places with lax gun control with low crime. Places with strong gun control and high crime. Places with lax gun control and high crime.

The nature of crime is affected by so many other factors, that gun control is really minor in the grand scheme. The only thing that changes to a degree is the type of crime.

chillincody
08-23-2011, 4:53 PM
true true

Kid Stanislaus
08-23-2011, 7:55 PM
The nature of crime is affected by so many other factors, that gun control is really minor in the grand scheme. The only thing that changes to a degree is the type of crime.

There are those who argue that Roe v. Wade was responsible for the start of the decline of violent crime way back when.

wazdat
08-25-2011, 2:28 PM
:twoweeks: Have come and

:twoweeks: have gone.

Anything new to report?

bartfriend
09-13-2011, 4:02 PM
update?

SmittyTuck
09-20-2011, 9:25 PM
Im downo help! please let me know how I can, I will be donating $100 bux next pay day. Thanks for those who stepped up and is fighting for our 2A rights!!!

j.hors
10-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I have a question and i would like everyones input about what a "good cause" is. i couple years ago my wifs ex filed a false police report against me( no reason to go into detail it was dismissed due to being unfounded) now we are talking about going to court and terminating his parental rights( we already have full custody due to his false report). due to the fact that we are unsure if he is here in cali or on the other side of the world would i be able to figure out some wording for a "good cause"? or would they pretty much say kick rocks?

notme92069
10-10-2011, 8:17 AM
I have a question and i would like everyones input about what a "good cause" is. i couple years ago my wifs ex filed a false police report against me( no reason to go into detail it was dismissed due to being unfounded) now we are talking about going to court and terminating his parental rights( we already have full custody due to his false report). due to the fact that we are unsure if he is here in cali or on the other side of the world would i be able to figure out some wording for a "good cause"? or would they pretty much say kick rocks?

Without a restraining order, you won't have much of a chance with Gore's people.

Crom
10-11-2011, 10:56 AM

The San Diego Sheriff licensing division handles the interviews. They do two part interviews. Interview #1.) They will scrutinize your good cause statement and ask you lot of questions. It costs no money to do this. At that stage they will try to dissuade you from applying if your good cause statement is weak. If you insist on going through the application process, they will tell you what to do and make a second appointment at which time they'll collect fees from you.

any2cards
10-12-2011, 9:59 PM
Oh it's better than that... 1 of 40 of the convicts released under the CA "fix your population problem" (IN SAN DIEGO... per Hedgecock 600 KOGO) actually bothered to show up and register at the parole office. There's 39 warrants out for the others...

But WE cant be "trusted" to walk the streets of the cities we pay for with a CCW while criminals are dumped into them and "trusted" to voluntarily appear for parole meetings.

CA never stops finding ways to astonish me... :(

warkaj
10-13-2011, 3:58 PM
Best way to fix this is recall Gore or vote his *** out on the street in 2014... he was appointed by politicians as a buddy system and won "re-election" due to large contributions from businesses and politicians just like him. He's a joke and needs to be recalled or fired.

craneman
11-06-2011, 7:59 AM
Best way to fix this is recall Gore or vote his *** out on the street in 2014... he was appointed by politicians as a buddy system and won "re-election" due to large contributions from businesses and politicians just like him. He's a joke and needs to be recalled or fired.

I'm with you 100%.

Bigtime1
01-17-2012, 5:05 PM
The San Diego Sheriff licensing division handles the interviews. They do two part interviews. Interview #1.) They will scrutinize your good cause statement and ask you lot of questions. It costs no money to do this. At that stage they will try to dissuade you from applying if your good cause statement is weak. If you insist on going through the application process, they will tell you what to do and make a second appointment at which time they'll collect fees from you.

What kind of questions?

wazdat
01-17-2012, 5:37 PM

What kind of questions?

"What is your name?"

"What is your quest?"

"What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

:rofl:

notme92069
01-17-2012, 5:52 PM
"What is your name?"

"What is your quest?"

"What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

:rofl:

European or African Swallow?

Bigtime1
01-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Ok, ok, I set that one up.

But seriously. I'm curious. Do they go through your app line by line, question your GC statement? Delve into your moral character? Anything people can share so that others can be better prepared would seem helpful.

At this point Librarian usually pastes in a wiki...

Firemark
01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Ok, ok, I set that one up.

But seriously. I'm curious. Do they go through your app line by line, question your GC statement? Delve into your moral character? Anything people can share so that others can be better prepared would seem helpful.

At this point Librarian usually pastes in a wiki...

I will share,

They will deny you straight out unless you are already from an annointed class of people. (politically connected to Gore, private business owner dealing in large amounts of money.)

The clerk will ask you have you considerded using mace, pepper spray, taser etc. They will also tell you you are free to turn in the application but will most likely be denied, but they will take your money anyway.

There are only about 700 or so civilian CCW's issued to San Diegans, so you will not get one.

In reality the entire first interview is to tell you that they dont issue ccw's unless you have a tremendous need, and even if you have the best reason, they can still choose to not issue for whatever reason they want.

I went in with prior military experience, combat veteran, badged city firefighter, State Paramedic and GC statement involving testifying on the stand regularly against criminal types encountered from work.

There response, and I quote "Oh, we cant give you a permit. If we give you a permit, then every other firefighter will come in hear and want one."

Bigtime1
01-23-2012, 11:46 AM
firemark - Your experience sounds understandably frustrating. I am still crafting my GC and have had a few people in-the-know review it and offer editing suggestions. I'm torn between going ahead now and waiting until the courts tell Sheriff Gore that he needs to go virtual shall-issue. I'll relay my experiences to this group so we can all learn together.

BTW - Thank you for your service to our country and community.

Firemark
01-24-2012, 6:18 PM
firemark - Your experience sounds understandably frustrating. I am still crafting my GC and have had a few people in-the-know review it and offer editing suggestions. I'm torn between going ahead now and waiting until the courts tell Sheriff Gore that he needs to go virtual shall-issue. I'll relay my experiences to this group so we can all learn together.

BTW - Thank you for your service to our country and community.

Good luck is all I can say, but I did the same, had several people in the know assist with crafting best GC statement possible for me, and you saw what happend. Gore and Baca are not going to let common folk carry. It doesnt serve their purpose to decrease crime hence decrease their funding.

Crom
01-25-2012, 2:20 PM
What kind of questions?

What fire said.

Just call and make an appointment and go talk to them. Talking is free. My advice would be to examine already approved pieces of good cause and use those. Don't try to invent good cause that's never been used before.

Legally speaking if they approve one set of GC, then under the equal protection law they must treat your GC the same.

i.e. If Jim's GC is approved because he is a pharmacist and transports drugs and Bob a different pharmacist who also transports drugs applies, then his GC must be approved.

Self defense seems the hardest route to go. If you're a business and make ATM deposits, a jeweler, a pharmacist, a private investigator, they will issue permits with supporting documentation.

Bigtime1
01-25-2012, 6:55 PM
All good to know.

IIRC there were several GC statements brought forth through recent litigation, but part of the judge's ruling was that the plaintiff's GC didn't EXACTLY match the precedent GC.

Baja Jones
01-25-2012, 7:45 PM
"I will share,
They will deny you straight out unless you are already from an annointed class of people. (politically connected to Gore, private business owner dealing in large amounts of money.)
There are only about 700 or so civilian CCW's issued to San Diegans, so you will not get one. "

This is very discouraging, I was going to attempt myself. I am a business owner, I deliver product to the border and get paid cash. Not big bucks but 1-3 thousand dollars. I used to open carry as a deterrent to robbery prior to 01/01/12.
Is this a fact? There are only 700 permits in San Diego.There are 3,000,000 residents! Is there any litigation currently in the courts that if the pro constitution party prevails will change this policy?

stefano-s
01-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I sent my first CalGuns Foundation $100.00 donation in yesterday, designating that it be applied toward San Diego CCW/LTC sponsorship. I would encourage any of you that have not already done so, and want to move this very worthwhile issue forward in SD County, to make a financial pledge to help.

Crom
02-13-2012, 4:07 PM
"I will share,
There are only about 700 or so civilian CCW's issued to San Diegans, so you will not get one. "

This is very discouraging, I was going to attempt myself. I am a business owner, I deliver product to the border and get paid cash. Not big bucks but 1-3 thousand dollars. I used to open carry as a deterrent to robbery prior to 01/01/12.
Is this a fact? There are only 700 permits in San Diego.There are 3,000,000 residents! Is there any litigation currently in the courts that if the pro constitution party prevails will change this policy?

1-3K in cash is significant. You should apply. You'll most likely get your permit.

HowardW56
02-17-2012, 1:22 PM
San Diego County CCW Policy, Good Cause Statements, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/125-san-diego)

jtyner
02-17-2012, 2:41 PM
San Diego County CCW Policy, Good Cause Statements, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/125-san-diego)

Pages 245/246, 289/290, 291/292, 312/313(?), 342/343, 347/348, 443/444(?), 542/543(?), 551/552/553(?), 565/566(?), 598/599, 702/703(?) seem to have statements that are generically applicable to most people. What is the next step here? Is it "time", yet?

wildhawker
02-17-2012, 3:26 PM
Pages 245/246, 289/290, 291/292, 312/313(?), 342/343, 347/348, 443/444(?), 542/543(?), 551/552/553(?), 565/566(?), 598/599, 702/703(?) seem to have statements that are generically applicable to most people. What is the next step here? Is it "time", yet?

At this point, as long as people understand that we're not seeking plaintiffs unless we specifically say as much, there's no better or worse time to apply.

All facts from here on out are 'interesting'.

-Brandon

Firemark
02-18-2012, 12:02 PM
"I will share,

Well if you apply and they grant a permit based on your good cause, I would like to become your employee, to get the same consideration. I have impecable references.

mikaarce
02-18-2012, 2:10 PM
So whats the word?

wildhawker
02-18-2012, 2:15 PM
Did you read my post two posts above this one? (Post #110 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=8058925&postcount=110))

-Brandon

lorax3
02-20-2012, 4:40 PM
Excellent job to whomever got these documents!

HowardW56
02-20-2012, 5:26 PM

Paging Wildhawker....

wildhawker
02-20-2012, 6:27 PM

Thanks. San Diego was a fairly tough nut; I doubt Sheriff Gore or his legal counsel invite me to the Christmas party this year.

Also, the CGF Initiative team, and especially HowardW56, jb7706, Connor P Price, and DanTodd, deserves all of the credit for taking the raw product and getting the records prepared and published. That step is really where the rubber meets the road.

-Brandon

diggersdarling
02-20-2012, 6:48 PM
When I applied, I told the "woman" filling the vast cubicular space behind the application counter that I was applying for a CCW permit because...

I wish to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense and to not be continually harassed by police officers conducting 12031(e) checks whilst carrying my firearm in a lawful manner.

I was then told that carrying a firearm openly essentially warranted abuse by the SDPD and that I could try to go through with the application process but I would just be denied anyways.

diggersdarling
02-20-2012, 6:54 PM
Haha, I think I see MarcusRN's application in the file!

diggersdarling
02-20-2012, 7:01 PM
Reading the entries in the SD CCW file, I basically see that (in general) business owners , rental managers, LEO/legal employees, doctors and jewelers get permits. Basically, the well-funded, the well-connected and the highly educated.

Lame.

diggersdarling
02-20-2012, 7:21 PM
Hilarity at page 694, postal service worker.

Page 272, cosmetologist.

modls7
02-21-2012, 9:39 AM
Reading the entries in the SD CCW file, I basically see that (in general) business owners , rental managers, LEO/legal employees, doctors and jewelers get permits. Basically, the well-funded, the well-connected and the highly educated.

I kinda got this feeling too.

Untamed1972
02-21-2012, 2:23 PM
Only about half way thru so far......but WOW.....glad to see so many "gov't agents" being able to protect themselves.

I am also suprised to the see how many body guard/Exec. Protection GC statements have been accepted.

(ETA: The interesting part of that being, these people are being issued permits so that others can hire them for protection without having to show "need/good cause/defined threat" for needing armed protection, yet pvt. citizens are denied the right to defend themselves without showing more than ordinary need. HMMMMM??????)

Other then that.....seems like anyone in SD who owns a business or is a contractor should be applying. What are you folks waiting for?

The other ones I find kind of funny are all the "crime scene techs".....GC is "for personal protection while processing crime scenes for X-PD"? Do they mean those cordined off crimes scenes with all the armed LEOs around standing guard to keep people out? Again.....HMMMM????

Firemark
02-21-2012, 2:35 PM
Ok so I read thru them all for SD... Since im a Firefighter and Paramedic the ones that most closley resemble me are on pages

Those plus other info deemed from other applications I have found that dealing with criminals, metally ill, domestic viollence, gang members, and crime scenes in high crime areas, that these constitute good causes and FFPM's have succesfully been awarded CCW's by Gore.

So I will craft my application to cover these same topics, and mention my fear for my life and safety as well as my family when off duty.

The question I have is "Will there be a coordinated application blitz by others in SD, or a time frame for applying?"

AND

"If I get rejected and then file an appeal and get rejected again, which im pretty sure Gore will do, what is Calguns prepared to do legally???"

Untamed1972
02-21-2012, 3:17 PM
Ok....so I got thru them all. Although some of them had to be so heavily redacted it made them fairly worthless for comparitive value, removing those that are judges/DAs/LEOs, when you look at the basics of any of those not involving a specific threat.......dont they all just come down to "personal protection"?

wildhawker
02-21-2012, 3:47 PM
The question I have is "Will there be a coordinated application blitz by others in SD, or a time frame for applying?"

You can apply whenever you feel it prudent. I have no way of knowing what other possible applicants might do with the information we collected and published; however, we are not planning to coordinate any particular application event in San Diego at this time.

"If I get rejected and then file an appeal and get rejected again, which im pretty sure Gore will do, what is Calguns prepared to do legally???"

We prepare and fund strategic litigation; we are not a legal service provider.

Note, however, that there is no appeals process under current law. To the extent the agency offers denied applicants some scheme of requesting a review of the application and determination thereupon, we believe it is really a re-application process in function. There's really no probative value of any appeal decision except to the extent that it modifies the original determination.

-Brandon

ETA: Note that all 2A cases, and probably all EP-only cases (related to gun issues) are stayed pending Nordyke. Richards and Peruta are already up at CA9 and briefed (also pending Nordyke). There's nothing really to do except allow those cases to resolve and work on the addressable issues in the time period leading up to Richards/Peruta ultimate resolution.

wildhawker
02-21-2012, 3:49 PM
when you look at the basics of any of those not involving a specific threat.......dont they all just come down to "personal protection"?

Yes. That is really the core point they conveniently ignore for the purpose of making denials and attempting to avoid equal protection.

-Brandon

modls7
02-21-2012, 4:15 PM
Only about half way thru so far......but

Other then that.....seems like anyone in SD who owns a business or is a contractor should be applying. What are you folks waiting for?

I own two businesses, although money isn't exactly jumping into my pocket right now. Does that really matter if I were to apply?

Firemark
02-21-2012, 4:46 PM
You can apply whenever you feel it prudent. I have no way of knowing what other possible applicants might do with the information we collected and published; however, we are not planning to coordinate any particular application event in San Diego at this time.

We prepare and fund strategic litigation; we are not a legal service provider.

Note, however, that there is no appeals process under current law. To the extent the agency offers denied applicants some scheme of requesting a review of the application and determination thereupon, we believe it is really a re-application process in function. There's really no probative value of any appeal decision except to the extent that it modifies the original determination.

-Brandon

ETA: Note that all 2A cases, and probably all EP-only cases (related to gun issues) are stayed pending Nordyke. Richards and Peruta are already up at CA9 and briefed (also pending Nordyke). There's nothing really to do except allow those cases to resolve and work on the addressable issues in the time period leading up to Richards/Peruta ultimate resolution.

So please explain to me what actual good use putting up all the applications for CCW's was for?

Your not planning to coordinate an application event in San Diego, at this time. So at what time?

"allow those cases to resolve" once again Calguns famous mantra "two weeks" Just a brief review of willing people just on this website I count several dozen if not over 100 San Diegans waiting "for orders". If something was planned I could easily guarantee at least another 100 coworkers to join in, not on calguns.

Gore is the epitomy of tyrannical law enforcement, his special treatment and denial of 14th amendment rights to law abiding citizens is evident. You have documentable evidence of bias against carry rights, Gores attendence at AB1934 discussion meetings. And now 100's of people ready to do something, and your advice is.....lets just wait?

What about stirring up media attention for gun rights, address Gore's pending lawsuits, the fact the ban on open carry now makes his argument in Peruta completely void and without merit.

wildhawker
02-21-2012, 5:11 PM
So please explain to me what actual good use putting up all the applications for CCW's was for?

Firemark,

Your frustrations are misdirected. Yes, your rights are being infringed by government just as tens of millions of others are similarly infringed.

We publish the records because it helps people to understand the contours of the sheriffs' policy as-applied. Further, it allows people to argue in support of their application, their circumstances, and their right to equal protection from an informed position. It is not, nor ever has it ever been, a guarantee of a successful application.

Your not planning to coordinate an application event in San Diego, at this time. So at what time?

I am not in the business of asking people to spend time and money where it doesn't serve a purpose. When and if we need to run a drill in San Diego, those who've signed up as volunteers will be contacted.

"allow those cases to resolve" once again Calguns famous mantra "two weeks"

These issues will not be resolved overnight; I'm sorry if you expected otherwise. We're in the middle of a years-long process and there's nothing anyone can do to speed it along beyond what we already are doing.

Just a brief review of willing people just on this website I count several dozen if not over 100 San Diegans waiting "for orders". If something was planned I could easily guarantee at least another 100 coworkers to join in, not on calguns.

Excellent, and to the extent that we can position for some grassroots show of support for the issue (and disparity in the sheriff's use of discretion), every single person should sign up to be a LTC volunteer in case that sort of coordinated effort becomes an action item. Alternatively, you can take the information we worked very hard to acquire and do something with it yourself.

Gore is the epitomy of tyrannical law enforcement, his special treatment and denial of 14th amendment rights to law abiding citizens is evident. You have documentable evidence of bias against carry rights, Gores attendence at AB1934 discussion meetings. And now 100's of people ready to do something, and your advice is.....lets just wait?

Did you even read my last post? Let me quote it for you.

Your purported volume of applicants has no bearing on the law. If you want to project your frustrations on others, please direct them to those actually causing the infringing policies to be applied.

What about stirring up media attention for gun rights, address Gore's pending lawsuits, the fact the ban on open carry now makes his argument in Peruta completely void and without merit.

That's being done pretty much everywhere. It's even in court filings. Where have you been?

-Brandon

Untamed1972
02-22-2012, 9:25 AM
There were GC statements included with the Peruta filings that showed only "HDSA member" or similar as good cause. I didn't see those in the PDF. Did Gore hold some out of the batch? Or were they there I just glossed over them?

jtyner
02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
There were GC statements included with the Peruta filings that showed only "HDSA member" or similar as good cause. I didn't see those in the PDF. Did Gore hold some out of the batch? Or were they there I just glossed over them?

I saw lots of reserve deputies but no HDSA members.

Untamed1972
02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
I saw lots of reserve deputies but no HDSA members.

Yeah....that's what caught my attention.

Crom
02-29-2012, 4:16 PM
The San Diego Sheriff's licensing division is conforming to SB610. They are no longer front loading training costs and shooting fees.

The good cause statements are interesting.

coryb619
04-10-2012, 6:29 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but is it still virtually impossible to get a ccw without a damn good reason other than 2nd amendment? I know there are quite a few threads about this but they are all pages and pages across the last 4 years or so....just curious what the short answer is....also if anyone is familiar with Santee in particular would I apply directly at Santee sheriffs or is it just considered san Diego in general?

Apocalypsenerd
04-10-2012, 7:16 PM
I believe there is a lawsuit stayed pending on Nordyke. No changes for a while.

Dark Sky Solutions
04-10-2012, 7:17 PM
From my understanding of it u would have to apply tithe San Diego County Sherrifs department.

I did hear from a LEO buddy I mine yesterday that it is getting a little easier in SDC but I don't know how accurate that is or what exactly it he means by "easier".

Crom
04-10-2012, 7:39 PM
Go to the sub forum and access the San Diego thread. Good Cause statements are available for your inspection.

HowardW56
04-10-2012, 8:21 PM
San Diego LTC thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352786)

And additional information at the Calguns Foundation HERE (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/ccw-initiative/125-san-diego.html)

Maestro Pistolero
04-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Short answer:
You still need to articulate verifiable cause, whatever they decide that means, and then, if no other prohibiting factors exist, and if you jump through all the hoops, you may be issued a license. It's not impossible, just not a slam dunk, yet.

Untamed1972
04-11-2012, 9:12 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, but is it still virtually impossible to get a ccw without a damn good reason other than 2nd amendment? I know there are quite a few threads about this but they are all pages and pages across the last 4 years or so....just curious what the short answer is....also if anyone is familiar with Santee in particular would I apply directly at Santee sheriffs or is it just considered san Diego in general?

you have to apply at the Sheriff's licensing Div. office at the Kearny Mesa headquarters....it's up off Balboa at the I-15 I believe.

Untamed1972
04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
From my understanding of it u would have to apply tithe San Diego County Sherrifs department.

I did hear from a LEO buddy I mine yesterday that it is getting a little easier in SDC but I don't know how accurate that is or what exactly it he means by "easier".

If a little easier means they dropped some of their illegal app requirements (like requiring referecne letters) so as to be in compliance with the law, then yea....it's gotten a little easier to apply at least. Haven't heard anything regarding it getting easier to actually get approved tho.

Although I was suprised by some of the approved GC statements I read in the sub-forum. Especially the ones granted to those for the purposes of Exec. Protection / Body Guard work. Granting such permits seems hypocritcal because they are giving a permit to someone with no specific threat against themselves to hire themselves out as a hired gun to "protect" people who may or may not have any threat or GC to need armed protection themselves, or at least not GC that has been reviewed by the sheriff.

So I can hire someone to carry a gun for me when I have no specific need or threat, but I cant get a permit to carry a gun to protect myself? That's just BS.

Ossa
04-11-2012, 10:10 AM
From what I've been told by friends that have them there, it's a little easier to obtain if you own your own business.

rbahri5206
04-11-2012, 3:22 PM
One big change for the approval precess is that your app goes threw a comity and not a single person. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not but before it used to be you submitted your app that app was looked over b the person assigned to you and once everything was in order they would submit it to a single person that would decide, now it goes to basically a hearing.

CRACKERJACK
04-11-2012, 9:16 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but is it still virtually impossible to get a ccw without a damn good reason other than 2nd amendment?
Yes.

I believe there is a lawsuit stayed pending on Nordyke. No changes for a while.
The Peruta case.
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Peruta_v._County_of_San_Diego

j.hors
04-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Yes.

The Peruta case.
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Peruta_v._County_of_San_Diego

I thought that the Nordyke case was concluded? Or did i read wrong?

NoJoke
04-23-2012, 8:39 AM
One big change for the approval precess is that your app goes threw a comity (they called it a panel) and not a single person. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not but before it used to be you submitted your app that app was looked over b the person assigned to you and once everything was in order they would submit it to a single person that would decide, now it goes to basically a hearing.

But, yes - this information is correct.

I was recommended for approval by the Licensing Specialist (got a phone call for that very reason) actually, I was told that his boss instructed him to recommend approval. :)

Then denied by the panel. :(

marcusrn
08-28-2012, 7:56 PM
Denied renewal by Blanca Pelowitz and appeal to Asst Sheriff Patricia Duke.

The licencing division remains unfair,arbitrary and capricious.

Hopefully there will be redress in the courts.

Mark S Cleary

Casual_Shooter
08-28-2012, 8:32 PM
Sorry to hear that Mark.

Perhaps one of the people in-the-know here is looking for a case like yours.

NoJoke
09-03-2012, 8:09 AM
Denied renewal by Blanca Pelowitz and appeal to Asst Sheriff Patricia Duke.

The licencing division remains unfair,arbitrary and capricious.

Hopefully there will be redress in the courts.

Mark S Cleary

Sorry man.
On the up side - you were safe for a while. It's wild how one minute you're ok and the next you're not.

You donating to CGF? I've got a monthly donation set up to help fight the fight.

I hope "shall issue" is close at hand.

guns4life
09-03-2012, 8:11 AM
When they stop asking for bank records on the second interview I'll try again, they have no need to see my financials....absolutely preposterous.

RockerFor2A
09-06-2012, 3:39 AM
When they stop asking for bank records on the second interview I'll try again, they have no need to see my financials....absolutely preposterous.

Seriously? That asked for bank records? What possible justification do they have for that? Did you claim you had to carry a lot of cash with a business and wanted to see those deposits? Seems completely irrelevant. Almost like they've started just making people so uncomfortable with privacy violations they give up. There really is not 2nd Amendment (bear) in the PRK anymore.

SB30
11-13-2012, 8:04 PM
Gonna try to get my CCW here soon. Let you all know how it goes.

GuillermoAntonio
11-14-2012, 1:24 PM
Let us know.
Just bought a restaurant and Im interested in this too.

NoJoke
11-19-2012, 7:02 AM

No legal mind here, but oral arguments (that involve LTC's) will be in SF on Dec 6th.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=635508

Edit: replying to an old post...:rolleyes:

SB30
11-28-2012, 8:34 PM
Let us know.
Just bought a restaurant and Im interested in this too.

Phase 1 tomorrow - interview and submission of package.

SB30
11-29-2012, 1:28 PM
Just had first interview. Was told it was most unlikely that I would be able to get a CCW for the reason of just self-defense. Since I'm in the military they said if I were to get a memo from my immediate supervisor stating why I would need it and from the base commander that they had knowledge of my request then it would help my chances. So basically it's a possibility but the question I'm thinking over is if it's worth $105 (fees that I don't get back). I'll elaborate more on my reasoning later.

marcusrn
12-07-2012, 6:46 PM
Tell your immediate supervisor and base commander to give you a letter informing the SDSO license division that you live in a "border area".

Tell them there are drug gangs and cartels and if they do not believe this that they can ask their Sheriff's council J. Chapin.That should be sufficient for good cause LTC.

guns4life
12-08-2012, 8:10 AM
Seriously? That asked for bank records? What possible justification do they have for that? Did you claim you had to carry a lot of cash with a business and wanted to see those deposits? Seems completely irrelevant. Almost like they've started just making people so uncomfortable with privacy violations they give up. There really is not 2nd Amendment (bear) in the PRK anymore.

Exactly. I was told "besides a restraining order/threats this was the only other way(protecting cash)". As a small business owner I do deposit cash, but there is no way they are getting my bank statements.

pitbuljake
12-08-2012, 7:49 PM
Exactly. I was told "besides a restraining order/threats this was the only other way(protecting cash)". As a small business owner I do deposit cash, but there is no way they are getting my bank statements.

FYI, here in Riverside County they required bank statements or deposit slips. I believe I just made copies with sensitive info blacked out (i.e. balances). All they what to see is the cash deposits, period!

If that is the only thing stopping you, then apply. :facepalm:

SB30
12-09-2012, 8:43 AM
Tell your immediate supervisor and base commander to give you a letter informing the SDSO license division that you live in a "border area".

Tell them there are drug gangs and cartels and if they do not believe this that they can ask their Sheriff's council J. Chapin.That should be sufficient for good cause LTC.

Good idea but not sure they would buy that with my commute being from Ramona to Oceanside. Using the fact that my job has me giving input on those violating the UCMJ and whether they should stay in or be discharged.

American Standard
12-28-2012, 9:45 AM
FYI, here in Riverside County they required bank statements or deposit slips. I believe I just made copies with sensitive info blacked out (i.e. balances). All they what to see is the cash deposits, period!

If that is the only thing stopping you, then apply. :facepalm:

I have my first interview just after the new year. I am an attorney who deals in significant amount of cash, and works late into the night on occassion. If all they want to see is the deposits, then I'm good with that. The balances and the rest of it are none of their business.

Any new movement to report here in San Diego?

rplusplus
12-28-2012, 9:49 AM

Big Bad Bill is still alive and in charge. So no.

GuillermoAntonio
12-31-2012, 8:57 AM
Wrong forum...wth?.....lol

lorax3
01-25-2013, 11:38 PM
I have my first interview just after the new year. I am an attorney who deals in significant amount of cash, and works late into the night on occassion. If all they want to see is the deposits, then I'm good with that. The balances and the rest of it are none of their business.

Let us know how it turns out.

SB30
02-11-2013, 7:37 AM
Second interview today to bring in more papers. What they wanted was, since I'm active duty, a letter from my boss and a letter from the Base Commander Camp Pendelton (2 star Gen). Instead of a letter from a 2 star, which the PMO said he would not entertain, I have a letter from my Commanding Officer and registered the weapons I will carry with the base.

SB30
02-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Second interview today to bring in more papers. What they wanted was, since I'm active duty, a letter from my boss and a letter from the Base Commander Camp Pendelton (2 star Gen). Instead of a letter from a 2 star, which the PMO said he would not entertain, I have a letter from my Commanding Officer and registered the weapons I will carry with the base.
UPDATE: Was told there will be about a 45 day wait. A panel will look at my request and if denied I can appeal. The appeal, from what I gathered, is a face to face interview with an Assistant Sheriff. More to follow.

lorax3
05-01-2013, 1:58 AM
For those in the know, any idea what the "cash deposit" requirements are to be considered? Previous posters mentioned they were asked to provide deposit slips, etc. I am curious what type of gross deposits SDSD is looking for.

There is clearly no legal minimum here, but depositing $5,000 in cash per year clearly won't make the imaginary line to be considered "legit" in this county.

microstencil
05-03-2013, 9:15 PM
For those in the know, any idea what the "cash deposit" requirements are to be considered? Previous posters mentioned they were asked to provide deposit slips, etc. I am curious what type of gross deposits SDSD is looking for.

There is clearly no legal minimum here, but depositing $5,000 in cash per year clearly won't make the imaginary line to be considered "legit" in this county.

Lorax3. Send me your contact number via pm and ill talk to you about it.

Ruination Fan
05-08-2013, 7:38 PM
Is it just on my end, or are the good cause statements no longer available from the link? Any idea where to get the previously linked info?

infringed711
05-15-2013, 7:04 AM
So I'm active duty stationed down in San Diego and when I called to ask about getting a concealed carry permit they told me they did not give them to active duty military...no questions...just no

SB30
05-20-2013, 4:41 PM
So I'm active duty stationed down in San Diego and when I called to ask about getting a concealed carry permit they told me they did not give them to active duty military...no questions...just no

Huh, Just picked mine up last Wednesday. Depends on why you are telling them you need it I guess.

ilivwith4girls
08-03-2013, 6:52 AM
Had first interview on Thursday. I am a Physician Assistant carry prescription pads, previously employed at a federal prison, now any search engine reveals my location. The young lady who conducted the interview didn't even take my application. She wrote down my personal statement, disappeared with my drivers license for 5 minutes. When she returned and said, "I'm sorry, we don't give a ccw because of fear". Fear? When I was employed by US DOJ, they were concerned enough to classify my plates. Now if you type my name in a search engine, anybody (including previous inmates) can locate my place of employment. Not to mention I carry prescription pads. If this isn't good cause, not quite sure what is. It would be nice to at least get a written valid reason for denial. Frustrated. Pepper spray it is.

Barnstormer
08-06-2013, 10:55 PM
I carry prescription pads. If this isn't good cause, not quite sure what is. It would be nice to at least get a written valid reason for denial.

I'm not being a smart-alecky, but I think you stumbled on the real reason for denial. In lieu of having a valid reason, it's easier for them to just deny them all or at least the majority.

Michael_Js
08-07-2013, 7:44 AM
good luck! I'd love to get one, but personal defense ain't gonna cut it! :(

Crom
08-07-2013, 4:03 PM
Had first interview on Thursday. I am a Physician Assistant carry prescription pads, previously employed at a federal prison, now any search engine reveals my location. The young lady who conducted the interview didn't even take my application. She wrote down my personal statement, disappeared with my drivers license for 5 minutes. When she returned and said, "I'm sorry, we don't give a ccw because of fear". Fear? When I was employed by US DOJ, they were concerned enough to classify my plates. Now if you type my name in a search engine, anybody (including previous inmates) can locate my place of employment. Not to mention I carry prescription pads. If this isn't good cause, not quite sure what is. It would be nice to at least get a written valid reason for denial. Frustrated. Pepper spray it is.

You have to complete the second interview to get the denial letter. If you do that they are required by law to do this. It will come in the U.S. Mail.

infringed711
08-07-2013, 7:57 PM
Huh, Just picked mine up last Wednesday. Depends on why you are telling them you need it I guess.

What did you tell them? I called and asked what the process was and whether or not Pendleton fell under SD or Orange and they said that they don't give them to active duty military...

NoJoke
08-07-2013, 8:49 PM
Slightly off topic but, just so people know...

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/news-ticker/2013/may/13/bill-gore-files-to-re-up-as-sheriff-next-year/

Bill Gore files to re-up as sheriff next year

County's lawman-in-chief is veteran fundraiser from tribal casinos, prison vendor, hotel mogul, and very old boys network

Matt Potter, May 13, 2013

San Diego county Sheriff and ex-FBI man Bill Gore has filed a statement of intention to run for re-election next year and has set up a newly formed campaign committee to fund the effort.

As previously reported, Gore has a knack for money raising, as evidenced by the $45,000 in corporate and tribal donations he hustled up for the California State Sheriffs' Associationís annual conference, held in San Diego in early April of last year.

https://sphotos-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/377828_10150354161477396_364192836_n.jpg

BajaJames83
08-07-2013, 9:56 PM
we need a new sheriff....

ilivwith4girls
08-08-2013, 8:47 AM
There is no second interview. They just told me no. Maybe I'll call them back.

Crom
08-08-2013, 12:31 PM

They are required by law to accept your application. You must demand they accept it. If they don't then they're breaking the law.

NoJoke
08-08-2013, 8:38 PM

I believe that when they deny in this fashion, you are not considered an official application therefore, there is no official denial. In this way, the city can make the claim that they approve a good portion of submitted applications.

It's a numbers game. Emphasis on GAME.

Maybe flyonwall has the right idea (of course, I would NOT officially proceed with a massive application push without the blessings of the CGF network!): http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=804424

infringed711
08-18-2013, 12:25 AM
I believe that when they deny in this fashion, you are not considered an official application therefore, there is no official denial. In this way, the city can make the claim that they approve a good portion of submitted applications.

It's a numbers game. Emphasis on GAME.

Maybe flyonwall has the right idea (of course, I would NOT officially proceed with a massive application push without the blessings of the CGF network!): http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=804424

If this is the case they are about to have a lot more denials...I'm on terminal leave and have nothing better to do

Neo Sharkey
09-13-2013, 8:19 AM
I'm to submit mine application once TPTB says its time to barrage them with applications.

//getting tired of waiting. Sad commentary that it was easier to get 3 out of state permits than one where I live.

NoJoke
09-16-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm to submit mine application once TPTB says its time to barrage them with applications.

//getting tired of waiting. Sad commentary that it was easier to get 3 out of state permits than one where I live.

TPTB?
And yep, got most of the country covered EXCEPT where I live. :facepalm:

Neo Sharkey
09-18-2013, 3:15 PM
The Powers That Be....ie The Calguns legal team.

:D

Michael_Js
09-18-2013, 4:53 PM
Just copying my post from, well, my own thread ;)

Yes, she said the next appointment/interview, will then get me the denial letter in the mail in 30-60 days ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, just got back from the San Diego Sheriff's office and here's the lowdown:

First, they take no paperwork from you at all, other than taking your driver's license and making a copy of it. They ask you questions (jail, military experience, LE applications, if I owned any firearms, etc.), and ask why you want a CCW. She took notes on this. When I told her for self-preservation/protection, she referred me to the section in the application where it explains if you are applying for those reason, you need to attach reports, actual incidents, names, locations, etc. I told her I didn't have any of those and wanted to protect myself before those things happened. She said there would be a HIGH likelihood it would get denied. I told her I knew that, but wanted to proceed anyway.

OK, she then walked through the procedure, said I needed to fill out the application, in full, make another appointment, with her, bring a check for $105.63 for fingerprinting and fees, and she would submit my application. She then said it would go to a review board, and they would make the decision and get back to me by mail. Also, to bring in 2 forms of residency dated within the last 30 days, other than your driver's license.

She also said the application I brought with me was old - I got it off the San Diego CGN site in this forum. The new one is here: http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

So, I will fill out the new one, write a check, get a couple of bank statements, make an appointment and go from there!

While I was there, I saw someone there to renew their current CCW, and a new applicant, a woman, to get a CCW. No info on these people, just noted.

I'll keep you posted!
Again, I don't expect to get a CCW from this...just walking through the procedure.

SB30
09-29-2013, 6:52 PM
What did you tell them? I called and asked what the process was and whether or not Pendleton fell under SD or Orange and they said that they don't give them to active duty military...

Been off for a while but sent you a PM.

Visiter
10-23-2013, 3:54 PM
Moved from Seattle to San Diego, had CCW in Seattle.
Please advise what/where to read about:
1) CCW process here;
2) laws about keeping guns at home, transportation to range, etc. without CCW.

bassplayer
10-23-2013, 8:31 PM
Moved from Seattle to San Diego, had CCW in Seattle.
Please advise what/where to read about:
1) CCW process here;
2) laws about keeping guns at home, transportation to range, etc. without CCW.

IMHO, forget about a CCW if you live in San Diego! Apparently, you have to be both politically connected and a contributor to the election fund of our *wonderful* (hack, hack, cough, cough...) sheriff.

Handguns transported to the range in a locked container, separate from your ammo and not accessible to you in the driver's seat.

I keep mine locked in a safe except for a 12 gauge with a trigger lock and a 45 in a gun vault by the bed.

Dan K.

NoJoke
10-29-2013, 4:51 PM
I've been recently told, by a source in the know, to wait. Wait for the 9th circuit opinion to come out.

....any day now, any day. How about tomorrow? :confused:

CessnaDriver
10-29-2013, 4:58 PM
I've been recently told, by a source in the know, to wait. Wait for the 9th circuit opinion to come out.

....any day now, any day. How about tomorrow? :confused:

Someone correct me if I am wrong but...
Let's say it was yesterday.
Sheriff Gore will drag his feet in every way imaginable I am sure.
Can you hear it now? We just can't spare the extra manpower or can't afford it. Or anything else he would put in place to make it a very difficult process.

Reciprocity with others states would be the best way, then we don't have to deal with that joker. Not sure if that is possible or in the cards though.
Anyone know if that is possible?

Michael_Js
10-30-2013, 8:43 AM
That's why I didn't wait...I knew it wouldn't go anywhere, so...I just did it. Still haven't gotten my denial letter in the mail yet...it's only been 4 weeks - no contact at all...

Casual_Shooter
10-30-2013, 8:52 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong but...
Let's say it was yesterday.
Sheriff Gore will drag his feet in every way imaginable I am sure.
Can you hear it now? We just can't spare the extra manpower or can't afford it. Or anything else he would put in place to make it a very difficult process.

Feel the same way.

In a previous thread on the subject, when people talked about "self protection" CCW in San Diego happening in a year or two, I predicted 8-10 years - mostly due to my own pessimism.

Looking now like my pessimistic 8-10 years was optimistic.

craneman
11-30-2013, 1:05 PM
Why not equal protection of the law? It seems to me that if we are a "may issue" state and just 1 state employee (Sheriff) issues, then to be in compliance with the Constitution they all would have to issue using the same barometer. It would lend to the argument that laws are black and white, not grey. There should be no "may issue" at all, you either do or you don't. Just the fact that ALL the Sheriffs do an extensive background check before they issue is "may issue" in an of itself. Words, and definitions of words are important. Technically, the way I see it, if it is not Constitutional carry then it is "may issue". So why does a group of citizens get more ability to defend themselves or their loved ones than I do, based solely on the county to which I reside?

Obviously, I am not an attorney or I would know why this cannot be used as an argument against the "no issue for personal defense" Sheriffs. I mean the other counties have published good cause statements that include "personal self defense" as acceptable, so it would stand to reason that they all should accept that to be in compliance with the COTUS. So what am I missing? Or is it not attacked this way because we are afraid of loosing ground?

akjpresby
02-13-2014, 7:30 PM
Any update on when the floodgates will be opened and we all start the application process in light of the 9th circus ruling?

jtyner
02-13-2014, 7:33 PM
Not soon I'd guess. Everything's on hold pending rehearings, appeals, etc. at the moment.

Crom
02-19-2014, 9:18 AM
Everyone who wants to apply in San Diego should apply now. The more the better! I already did! See my post here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=13473959&postcount=540) & here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=13474574&postcount=542).

Michael_Js
02-19-2014, 11:23 AM
My appointment is 3/11 ;) I will try to make it the 1st & 2nd - I see no need for a 2nd since I've done this all before in Sept 2013!

lorax3
02-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Everyone who wants to apply in San Diego should apply now. The more the better! I already did! See my post here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=13473959&postcount=540) & here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=13474574&postcount=542).

It may be wise to get an appointment now, although legally nothing have changed. Depending on the course of action San Diego takes, there may be a window between the District count mandate/judgement in Peruta and a stay pending writ to SCOTUS (assuming they do not go en banc, or it en banc is denied - I think that Kozinski won't want to hear it).

The most interesting factor is the press release from SD Sheriff's

The 9th Circuit opinion has not yet changed existing state law. Therefore, applications that are currently being processed will be issued pursuant to current state law. Those that do not meet current state law standards will not be denied, but held in abeyance until the legal issues are resolved.

State law mandates that they must respond to your application within 90 days, or 30 days from receiving your background check, whichever is later. The "held in abeyance" is just a CYA to avoid another 1983 suit from someone who is denied. Some more "on the fence" counties may see the writing on the wall, but I think San Diego is going to need an order from the District Court before the policy is officially changed.

Boblaw
02-19-2014, 2:54 PM
I Went in to change a weapon on my CCW this week. The licensing unit is scheduling first time apps out to late May right now.

p1choco
02-19-2014, 3:33 PM
I Went in to change a weapon on my CCW this week. The licensing unit is scheduling first time apps out to late May right now.

That is the truth. A coworker said his appointment is May 19. His brother an hour earlier was scheduled for May 5th.

Crom
02-20-2014, 10:45 AM
They are now booking appointments into the second week of June.

It may be wise to get an appointment now, although legally nothing have changed.

You could be right! I however, think (and hope) that events will take a different course. :cool2:

IMO, This case was the legal bombshell we have been waiting for. I think at this juncture in time that Sheriff Gore has no choice but to change is policies on issuance of permits. I also believe that this is the tipping point for California and Peruta will become the keystone upon which we will begin to normalize the Second Amendment in California. If Heller is the bedrock, and McDonald is the foundation stone, Peruta will be the keystone for us.

As far as I am concerned, the decision in Peruta is airtight. The panel undertook a complete historical analysis of the right and arrived at the correct conclusion. The panel went so far as to show why their sister courts, the Second, Third, and Fourth circuits were all wrong. (Because they failed to perform the same historical analysis, and instead simply pointed to the AG's arguments as proof enough).

At any rate, this really isn't the thread for this kind of discussion, I just wanted to respond share my thoughts.

On a personal note, I hope you are doing well! :D

I will reiterate, that I think everyone that wants a permit should make an appointment. I believe too that the appointment system is, or soon will be DOOMED. It is an ineffective use of peoples time and is just a dumb hurdle to obtain the permit (to exercise your right). Therefore I do predict significant changes in the procedures at the Sheriffs office.

Firemark
02-20-2014, 11:31 AM
I say bomb them with as many appointments as possible push that first interview date out to 2015. I just got mid June today 2/20. If we rack up the appointments then get some conservative media outlets to take and run a story like "CCW applications explode after Peruta decision, San Diegans want there carry permits". We can start getting some spin working for us for a change. Interview the Sheriff being a knucklehead with bonehead statements about good cause then interview an articulate San Diegan with multiple permits from other states making lucid pertinent points.

AP2
02-20-2014, 4:49 PM
I have my appt on 6/11. Seems like they're getting more traffic for interviews.

lorax3
02-20-2014, 8:04 PM
I will reiterate, that I think everyone that wants a permit should make an appointment.

I agree, although I believe Peruta may be stayed pending further appeals I think we should make as many appointments as possible. My appointment has been made, and I have gotten ~10 other friends to make their appointments as well. June is filling up quick.

wazdat
02-21-2014, 12:03 PM
June 25th for me. :)

guns4life
02-21-2014, 2:33 PM
Into July now...booked.

Firemark
02-21-2014, 3:20 PM
I just spoke with this staff writer yesterday.
San Diego gun case not just about guns (http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/feb/17/san-diego-gun-case-not-just-about-guns/)

Let him know to start looking into county sheriffs including Gore and the tremendous backlog of people signing up for permits. May be a good story to report on, said he would look into it.

Get friends family and everyone to start making appointments, cant really see a down side to making the will of the people known.

bassplayer
02-21-2014, 3:40 PM
https://sphotos-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/377828_10150354161477396_364192836_n.jpg

Nice couple! Gore and Filner!

Dan K.

wazdat
02-21-2014, 5:57 PM
Wife called 3 hours after me and got an appointment August 4th.

I smell a rat...

bassplayer
02-21-2014, 6:31 PM
Wife called 3 hours after me and got an appointment August 4th.

I smell a rat...

Apparently, they are only able to staff up to do 4 applications per day! Maybe a complaint to the Sheriff and the Board of Supervisors would help?

Dan K.

guns4life
02-21-2014, 11:12 PM
"MILLER: San Diego won’t appeal 9th Circuit on concealed carry, but gun permits not immediate"

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/21/san-diego-wont-appeal-9th-circuit-on-concealed-car/

arslin
02-22-2014, 7:39 AM
This rat bastard needs to be voted out.

sd_shooter
02-22-2014, 7:40 AM
The link in the OP is now "404 not found"
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/ccw-initiative/125-san-diego

Crom
02-22-2014, 8:04 PM
The good cause statements pre-Peruta are irrelevant. All you need now is to write for good cause is self-defense, or personal protection.

botsdots
02-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Hmmm... 4 apps per day, 3,170,000 people. Even if 1/10% of people want a permit, it will take 3 years just to interview them. Sounds like another case to me.

repomanNWP
02-24-2014, 6:55 AM
The link in the OP is now "404 not found"
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/ccw-initiative/125-san-diego

Looks like the correct link for the SD county good cause initiative is now: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/carry-license-sunshine-and-compliance-initiative/San-Diego%20County/

Nothing there yet. two weeks.

Crom
02-25-2014, 8:40 AM
Looks like the correct link for the SD county good cause initiative is now: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/carry-license-sunshine-and-compliance-initiative/San-Diego%20County/

Nothing there yet. two weeks.

It does not matter anymore. Go apply now.

zukieast
02-25-2014, 2:50 PM
So looking at SD Sheriffs Webpage they have posted the following which is different than last week:

"Members of the public wishing to obtain a CCW under the standards articulated by the Ninth Circuit should be aware that the decision has not yet become final.

Federal court rules prescribe a period of time which must elapse before the case is remanded to the District Court for further proceedings.

In order to accommodate, and expedite, the large numbers of anticipated applications, the Sheriff’s Department is revising the process for issuing CCW permits. Anyone wanting to apply for a CCW may submit an application either by mail at P.O. Box 939062, San Diego CA 92193-9062, or in person at 9621 Ridgehaven Court, San Diego, CA 92123.

Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. All applications received that meet the current “good cause” standard will be contacted by a licensing staff member with instructions on how to complete the process.

Applications that seek a CCW permit under the self-defense standard set forth in Peruta v. County of San Diego will be processed in the order they were received should the decision of the Ninth Circuit become final. Once the decision becomes final, applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s Licensing Division with instructions on how to complete the process."

I know folks are calling and making apointments which are months away, do we just call and get the apointment and hope the cards fall our way?

I just called and the gal told me to just submit my application with no monies and I will be called in the order in which is was recieved. Pending the final 9th Circuit desion is final...

Casual_Shooter
02-25-2014, 3:15 PM
Who is determining at what point an application is "submitted" as it pertains to the 90 day rule to get an approval or denial?

Or... what constitutes "submitted". Mailed, mailed with signature, mailed with no signature and money, mailed with money etc...

Michael_Js
02-25-2014, 4:11 PM
You'll HAVE to get called (back) in, for your actual "Appointment". Then, they'll take copies of everything, do the LiveScan, collect money...IMHO, that's when the clock starts...

For now, they're just holding on to them with NO action! They are waiting for the ruling to come down to them...we'll know more on the 6th of next month...

Oh, they're calling and cancelling any appointments that have been made for personal protection...

IAMSWUTIAMS
02-28-2014, 6:19 AM
I had an appointment for Sept. 9. They called yesterday and cancelled it. Saying to submit my application via mail or in person, and they would be holding them until a later date.

guns4life
02-28-2014, 6:29 AM
Got the automated cancellation call yesterday...

Miltiades
02-28-2014, 12:10 PM
I called last Monday for an appointment. I got through after 4 hours of intermittent trying and made an appointment for Aug. 6. Then I heard through the grapevine that appointments were going to be cancelled and you had to mail or deliver your application to the Licensing Dept. in San Diego. So on Wednesday morning I dropped it off in person, and the clerk time stamped it, telling me that we would be contacted in the order received. On Thursday I got a robocall cancelling my Aug. 6 appointment. So now I am waiting in the line with everybody else.

zooduster
02-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Is this good all over California, or just San Diego county?

shoebox56
03-22-2014, 9:25 PM
I live in the City of San Diego. Does the SDPD have any involvement in the CCW application, or is it strictly the County? thanks

CessnaDriver
03-22-2014, 9:44 PM
I live in the City of San Diego. Does the SDPD have any involvement in the CCW application, or is it strictly the County? thanks

County Sheriff.

NoJoke
07-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Update?

sd_shooter
07-06-2014, 9:42 AM
Update?

http://contentedcows.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/skeleton-computer.jpg

IAMSWUTIAMS
07-09-2014, 3:51 PM
So is this thread dead? No updates for San Diego?

glock_this
07-09-2014, 3:53 PM
My appointment was suppose to be today at 8:00am.. so much for that huh.

AIMSMALL
07-10-2014, 9:33 AM
Can anyone who has gone thru the process and actually obtained a permit please post regarding how the process went for you? Seems to me like they are taking apps but not giving anyone the permits... Thank you in advance, Jerry

WatchMan
07-10-2014, 9:58 AM
I thought the deadline for San Diego County to appeal Peruta was sometime in June???

What is going on with this? I can't seem to find anything.

glock_this
07-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Can anyone who has gone thru the process and actually obtained a permit please post regarding how the process went for you? Seems to me like they are taking apps but not giving anyone the permits... Thank you in advance, Jerry

This has been pretty well explained and covered several times here.

No one is getting them at this time who used "self defense" as their GC.

A few who got in real, real early before the SD Sherif decided on a protocol to handle these and before they just got deluged by self defence CCW apps got denied in the end before they tabled all "self defense" apps until Peruta is decided.

So those in the "self defense" pile are just in limbo for now until the legalities and issues are all sorted out. The legalities and issues that are going on now I cannot speak to and there are threads specific to those & they read as complicated and hard to follow given all of the hard to explain legal steps and processes, but this gives you the basic answer to your question.

Databyter
11-16-2014, 9:17 PM
From the Sheriffs Licensing Page http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

The issue of whether the State, the Brady Center, and/or CPCA and CPOA can intervene in the case has been settled – they cannot. However, the issue of whether or not the full Ninth Circuit will review the case en banc remains unanswered. The full court can accept a case for en banc review even if none of the parties make such a request – only time will answer that question.

Therefore nothing has changed for us, we will continue to process applications as we have been doing.

"Only time will answer that question"?

So we have to wait,.. in the off chance that the court will revisit this,.. and decide against it, because this Sheriff says so?

They deny us this, because they disagree with the court. This is a good example of soft tyranny. They won't outright say that they will not obey the law, but they hint that the law may change in the future,.. so why obey it now?

These people believe in what they are doing. They think they are right, and they are sincere. And since they have no clue about how this Country is supposed to work, and what RIGHTS really are, they, in their arrogance, deny us the rights that they enjoy.

Oh, but they are special, they face risk, are trained and educated, and most of all they are THEM, not us.

The problem is, they ARE us, and are supposed to represent us, not RULE us. But I guess they have forgotten, and the court doesn't seem to be effectively waking them up. So it's up to us. We need to get the media more on our side. Every blurp I see on the news shows a Sheriff soundbyte, but not our viewpoint. It makes it seem as if the Sheriff is being reasonable and simply attempting to keep guns from criminals, and we all know that argument is false to the point of dishonesty.

There is an assumption of innocence in this Country, and those good citizens are supposed to enjoy full rights. When we are assumed to possibly be not innocent, and only given the rights granted by a local politician at his or her whim, you have a system that is not conducive to our intended freedoms.

The rule should be the RULE of LAW, not the RULE of what the court might do in 6 months. The current law is that self defense is good cause under our Constitution. Period.

Databyter

NoJoke
11-17-2014, 8:38 AM
From the Sheriffs Licensing Page http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

... We need to get the media more on our side....

Databyter

I agree with every word - but caution your possibly misguided hope of this happening. My wife has a close friend who was an editor for the San Diego North County Times (when it existed) and is currently with the UT. She is kind in word. She seems to be quite empathetic on nearly any topic. However, she is steadfast in her anti-gun position - in a "for the children's safety" sort of way. I have good information on the makeup of the newsroom and the last holdout conservatives have left - and he was not necessarily a "pro-gun" conservative either. There isn't any representation for "us" left there. From what I can tell the anti-gun mentality is deep and entrenched with the current media with no foreseeable changes occurring. Maybe we just need a new paper/news source - maybe the Tea Party Paper?????

BLACK LION
11-17-2014, 9:09 AM

I applied before all of this came down the pipe and I was denied. I had every valid reason any law abiding citizen would have and I had cited case where CCW had saved lives, police response times to violent crimes, crime statistice in my surrounding area...you name it but all they did was entertain me and made me feel comfortable about everything and even commended me on all my documentation and research but in the end, unless you can prove you transport LARGE sums of money, jewels or guns then they will tell you that the only way they will reconsider is if you survive an attack on your life, file a police report and can prove that your life is still in danger.... so basically, they give the gun to the criminal and give you a running head start. You can always make a political donation for 4000.00 and find a member of the sheriffs department to make friends with and you should be able to get one before the new year. :rolleyes:

ffosty
12-15-2014, 9:59 AM
I recently completed a 2 week event and at the end received a 50 state CCR. didn't cost 4K donation it took a 2 week volunteer and $400.00 donation to the law enforcement reserve officer association.

sd_shooter
12-15-2014, 10:25 AM
I recently completed a 2 week event and at the end received a 50 state CCR. didn't cost 4K donation it took a 2 week volunteer and $400.00 donation to the law enforcement reserve officer association.

Please expand on this.

ParadigmGuy
12-27-2014, 7:47 AM
Sounds like he is saying that he became a reserve sheriff's deputy.

Jimi Jah
12-27-2014, 8:31 AM
As of January 1st, illegal aliens can get a driver's license. A privledge is given to foreign nationals illegally present yet a basic right is withheld from citizens.

This is one messed up place.

GuillermoAntonio
12-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Im sorry I'm trying to follow this thread but its now very confusing.
Is it time to apply or not?
Are we lookiing good or not?

jtyner
12-28-2014, 12:57 PM
My sense is it doesn't matter at the moment. You can apply, but you'll be way at the back of the line. Everyone is waiting on Peruta. See here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=811282

Jarhead715
01-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Thought I would post up my experience.
I sent in a app within 3 weeks I got a phone call for my first interview. Meet with a very nice lady named Teresa. We discussed my need to carry I am a small business owner (Automotive repair) She gave me a list of paper work to give to her on the next visit, and I gave here my wife's app at that meeting.
I gathered all the info, business licence,bank statements showing cash deposits, copy of my DD214, proof of residence and a few other things not to bad. I called for my second interview set it up the following Tuesday.
Went in with my wife and gave her all my paper work she went over everything and even helped us make some corrections. Teresa was very helpful and pleasant to deal with. She did a live scan on both of us and took our pictures and we were out the door. Very simple and quite fast.
I was also told that the city just ordered 4 more live scan machines and are gearing up for the new changes that will take effect near the end of this year. I would like to note that I was told the Sheriff never sees the apps. They go from her desk to a background investigator, then on to a 5 panel comity for finial approval. Whole process took less than 60 days.

CessnaDriver
01-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the report.
With some luck they will have legions of citizens to process this year so it would behoove them to ramp up the processes.

toddh
02-10-2015, 8:51 AM
Well...another month went by and still no change. :rolleyes:

Neo Sharkey
02-10-2015, 1:06 PM
Argh..."Two weeks" seems to be dragging on forever...

babe
02-10-2015, 1:13 PM
Thought I would post up my experience.
I sent in a app within 3 weeks I got a phone call for my first interview. Meet with a very nice lady named Teresa. We discussed my need to carry I am a small business owner (Automotive repair) She gave me a list of paper work to give to her on the next visit, and I gave here my wife's app at that meeting.
I gathered all the info, business licence,bank statements showing cash deposits, copy of my DD214, proof of residence and a few other things not to bad. I called for my second interview set it up the following Tuesday.
Went in with my wife and gave her all my paper work she went over everything and even helped us make some corrections. Teresa was very helpful and pleasant to deal with. She did a live scan on both of us and took our pictures and we were out the door. Very simple and quite fast.
I was also told that the city just ordered 4 more live scan machines and are gearing up for the new changes that will take effect near the end of this year. I would like to note that I was told the Sheriff never sees the apps. They go from her desk to a background investigator, then on to a 5 panel comity for finial approval. Whole process took less than 60 days.

Does that mean you and your wife were both approved?

marcosbarragan
02-20-2015, 6:48 AM
Any developments on CCW Permits Issued on "Self Defense" premise. I walked into the Sheriffs Dept. in Mid November and dropped off my application and have yet to hear back from anyone. I called last week and they told me that they were still waiting for a court decision??????

I thought that this was already put to bed. The 9th District Court issued a decision, no one can appeal it, so........?????

L84CABO
02-20-2015, 6:09 PM
Any developments on CCW Permits Issued on "Self Defense" premise. I walked into the Sheriffs Dept. in Mid November and dropped off my application and have yet to hear back from anyone. I called last week and they told me that they were still waiting for a court decision??????

I thought that this was already put to bed. The 9th District Court issued a decision, no one can appeal it, so........?????

Here the San Diego specific thread to monitor for latest updates. Post #629 has the most recent update.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=897562&page=32

Jarhead715
02-25-2015, 1:36 PM
Yes we were both approved!

mariley85
03-17-2015, 4:33 PM
The "cash deposits" requirement is BULL imho. I'm an FFL and despite 90% of our transactions being electronic because IT'S THE 21ST CENTURY, she was more concerned about my cash-on-hand than me walking to and from the my car with $5-15,000 in firearms and accessories. heaven forbid someone know who we are, what we sell, where we are, when we leave, where we're going, and how we get there.

San Diego is really bumming me out.