PDA

View Full Version : San Bernardino

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

WASR10
04-22-2012, 9:24 PM
Where in your timeline did you turn in your paperwork? Did you mail it or hand deliver?

I turned in everything at my interview. Most of the interview was the deputy going through the package to make sure it was complete and in order.

Novaholic
04-29-2012, 5:18 PM
On 3-13-2012,, Did you receive a call from SBSO telling you to set up class or did you just call??

WASR10
04-29-2012, 9:55 PM
On 3-13-2012,, Did you receive a call from SBSO telling you to set up class or did you just call??

They called me. I was told at my interview that they would contact me to schedule the class after I had passed the background portion.

barracudamuscle
05-02-2012, 1:25 PM
For these required references, do they have to be neighbors and or live in California? I spend most my time overseas and my references are mainly overseas or live out of state.

Would it be wise to start this process now being a 1 year wait? Ive owned a house here for 3.5 years but just changed my license a few weeks ago. I have ha m vehicle here registered while I was overseas for my wife to use. Just curious how the whole 1 year residency requirement is fulfilled.

Knauga
05-02-2012, 6:25 PM
For these required references, do they have to be neighbors and or live in California? I spend most my time overseas and my references are mainly overseas or live out of state.

Would it be wise to start this process now being a 1 year wait? Ive owned a house here for 3.5 years but just changed my license a few weeks ago. I have ha m vehicle here registered while I was overseas for my wife to use. Just curious how the whole 1 year residency requirement is fulfilled.

No... with a caveat. One of my references was out of state. They asked me how often I see them. I told them several times a year and they accepted the reference. They just want the reference to be current.

Of course at the time they were a little be more relaxed, I don't know how they treat this issue now, but I don't think THAT has changed.

SmokinMr2
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
So...
When do we start going after the SB stuff that is not in line with state law?

My CDL is legal. I'm not paying the state to have it changed. I didn't ask them to put my PO box on it. Simple fact is I don't get mail delivered here, and the street address shows up when they run it anyway.
I have no interest in "references", although I could probably find enough.
Neighbors? My old ones should be fun. There's the dealer upstairs, or her customers next door...that's why the heck I moved out to the sticks.
I waited a year, and now I have to wait another...didn't turn in their green ap within 90 days. Maybe they shouldn't date stamp them. Maybe the state ap should be enough, and state fees as well.

Is the plan to wait until after the election and see who gets the job? Chances are slim to unseat a sitting Sheriff.
Besides, he's a good guy from what I can see. Just a little off in this one area.

jaymz
05-03-2012, 4:11 PM
Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. You're saying you have to wait another year to apply because you didn't turn in your app within 90 days, WASR10 said he didn't have to turn in his paperwork until he went to his interview, yet they are currently scheduling interviews for February 2013. Something doesn't add up here.

SmokinMr2
05-03-2012, 5:24 PM
Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. You're saying you have to wait another year to apply because you didn't turn in your app within 90 days, WASR10 said he didn't have to turn in his paperwork until he went to his interview, yet they are currently scheduling interviews for February 2013. Something doesn't add up here.

I picked up my ap in October when we moved up here, and sat on it a year figuring I had to have a year residency (I never did turn it in).

A few posts up, someone mentioned they had 90 days to get the paperwork turned in, or get new paperwork. EDIT Post #214 , looks like it was 90 days expiration on the letters, not ap. I may just call and ask. They shoulkdn't be time/date stamping them anyway.

I'll apparently drive back down, get a new ap and turn it in within 90 days and start my year wait because of the backlog. Make sense now?

I guess I should have asked if I could turn it in and then wait. I guess I should have asked if it had to be turned in within an arbitrary alloted time frame. I guess I guess I guess...

Meanwhile, it takes to long, cost to much, and there are still to many "Hoops" to jump through that are not within state guidelines. Maybe I should quit calling them guidelines. They are laws.
While I appreciate that SB will issue for self defence, and the extra stuff is probably not that bad, or at least better than most counties, it still really isn't good enough and is certainly not following state law.

I also "guess" I should have asked if I could schedule my interview without having my ap (paperwork) turned in as you stated WASR10 did at his interview?
That's a whole lot of guesswork. Maybe they should have said more than "Drivers License" and "Return it here" when I picked it up...

jaymz
05-03-2012, 6:59 PM
Gotcha. My understanding is this: Get your app. Make an appointment. While yor waiting for your interview, get your paperwork done. Turn in paperwork at appointment. Once paperwork and background are complete, go to the training, then wait for permit. Somewhere in there is a Live Scan.

WASR10
05-03-2012, 8:59 PM
Gotcha. My understanding is this: Get your app. Make an appointment. While yor waiting for your interview, get your paperwork done. Turn in paperwork at appointment. Once paperwork and background are complete, go to the training, then wait for permit. Somewhere in there is a Live Scan.

Yep, that's it right there. You get the Live Scan (and pay for it) at the interview. Wear your pretty face because you get your picture taken then too.

Meanwhile, it takes to long, cost to much, and there are still to many "Hoops" to jump through that are not within state guidelines. Maybe I should quit calling them guidelines. They are laws.
While I appreciate that SB will issue for self defence, and the extra stuff is probably not that bad, or at least better than most counties, it still really isn't good enough and is certainly not following state law.

Ideologically, you're absolutely correct. Obtaining an LTC shouldn't be anymore difficult than obtaining a CDL, and many of the requirements are (so I'm told) technically illegal. But jumping the hoops and waiting patiently got me my permit and I am happy with that result. I firmly believe the more people who do not let the bureaucracy deter them, the more people who carry, the more likely the procedure will loosen up somewhere down the line.

SmokinMr2
05-04-2012, 8:03 AM
Yep, that's it right there. You get the Live Scan (and pay for it) at the interview. Wear your pretty face because you get your picture taken then too.

Ideologically, you're absolutely correct. Obtaining an LTC shouldn't be anymore difficult than obtaining a CDL, and many of the requirements are (so I'm told) technically illegal. But jumping the hoops and waiting patiently got me my permit and I am happy with that result. I firmly believe the more people who do not let the bureaucracy deter them, the more people who carry, the more likely the procedure will loosen up somewhere down the line.

I agree it should be easier, or at least should follow the law. That being said, if I was real concerned and felt a need, I could jump through the hoops, and would have at least turned in my ap in Oct. Here it is may already ;)

I only "really" feel a need when I drive to Wal Mart in Victorville :shock:

WASR10
05-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I only "really" feel a need when I drive to Wal Mart in Victorville :shock:

LOL

Knauga
05-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I thought the "extra" stuff was silly and more than a bit invasive, but I still went through the process. Anybody who doesn't feel that the "extra" stuff shouldn't be part of the process, you can apply and point out how they are violating the law. You might even be able to get some assistance from the CGF folks (who knows), but complaining about the process being "illegal" preventing you from getting your CCW is silly. Waiting around for somebody else to change it is just like wishing in one hand and doing something else in the other and wondering why only one hand gets full.

So either apply as is, or work to change it, but complaining about it does nothing to help you OR fix the system.

jaymz
05-04-2012, 9:24 PM
I'll be making my appointment on Monday. Unless the "Right People" advise against it, I won't be providing anything during my interview that is not required by law. If it results in an LTC, fantastic. If not, I'll have to make some phone calls/emails to CGF and discuss Plan B.

Riflelover
05-04-2012, 10:24 PM
I'll be making my appointment on Monday. Unless the "Right People" advise against it, I won't be providing anything during my interview that is not required by law. If it results in an LTC, fantastic. If not, I'll have to make some phone calls/emails to CGF and discuss Plan B.

Make sure to let us know how that turns out for you.

jaymz
05-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Absolutely. I'm not real confident that it will go smoothly, but you never know.

Knauga
05-05-2012, 10:40 AM

Good luck. If you are going to take this approach do your homework. Try talking to some of the CGF folks on the board who might be able to give you some excellent advice on how to do it right.

:thumbsup:

DocClark340
05-07-2012, 4:43 PM
Question?

The Sheriff’s office is a county building. I thought you where not allowed to carry in a county building. If you carry into the sheriff’s office is that a violation you can be arrested for? After all they gave you the permit.

Would someone be so kind as to shed some light in this?

:TFH: :TFH: :confused: :confused: :facepalm::facepalm:

winnre
05-07-2012, 4:51 PM
You cannot carry in a FEDERAL building.

DocClark340
05-07-2012, 5:09 PM
You cannot carry in a FEDERAL building.

So all county buildings unless posted? Hospitals unless posted????

Knauga
05-07-2012, 6:08 PM
Question?

The Sheriff’s office is a county building. I thought you where not allowed to carry in a county building. If you carry into the sheriff’s office is that a violation you can be arrested for? After all they gave you the permit.

Would someone be so kind as to shed some light in this?

:TFH: :TFH: :confused: :confused: :facepalm::facepalm:

They tell you in their renewal classes that you are not allowed to carry inside the Sheriff's Dept office. Usually about that time there are several nervous glances and shifting in seats. The times I have seen that happen, the deputy giving the class says "they don't want to know, but if you have one, don't do it again" and move on. I don't recall if it is posted, but I don't carry inside the building.

DocClark340
05-07-2012, 6:45 PM
[QUOTE=Knauga;8537202]They tell you in their renewal classes that you are not allowed to carry inside the Sheriff's Dept office.

That's where I got the idea about the county buildings. I just got to thinking. I don't remember that in my class but that was 8 hours of 411 condensed down from 16. As they say we got the "Scooby Doo" version. One would figure that the department who said that you can carry wouldn't have a problem with you carrying in their house. After all, you can carry in somebody else's house as long as they don't know.
Right????

:sorcerer::sorcerer::sorcerer::party::party::party :
JMOP

DocClark340
05-09-2012, 9:54 AM
This may be off topic but it is a topic with concern to the County of SBD/CCW. Dose anyone or has anyone had a problem with ignoring your jury summons and having it come back and bite you on your CCW. Government efficiency being what it is this may have no bearing on one another but it was something that came to mind as I had the joy of going to jury yesterday and thinking “Man, I have a lot to do at work and this is going to be another day setback at keeping up with the flow”. I know it “Your community duty” but man, two steps forward one step back…..

????????????????????????

:threadjacked: :fud: :offtopic: :stupid: :facepalm:

bbcsnowman
05-15-2012, 5:28 PM
Called in to confirm my Interview for Thursday and made sure i had everything in order and it turns out since I don't have a lease with six months remaining they will not accept my rental agreement. It does not say that on my packet anywhere. I am on a month to month with my land lord and have been for a 9 months. I have lived in the same city for 9 years. Does anybody have any Ideas on how to fix this with out having to move to get a lease?

Knauga
05-15-2012, 6:19 PM
Just go in and talk to the investigator on the date of your interview. There is such a thing as month to month rental :rolleyes: The secretary does not always understand the rules. At the time I went through the process the secretary told me that my denial letter from my city was wrong and not acceptable, the fact that I was one short on references meant my packet was incomplete and unacceptable. When I spoke to the investigator it was no problem at all.

winnre
05-16-2012, 11:42 AM
San berdoo wants you to be here a year before you get your application, but it takes 6-9 months to process, so why not just get the application after three months in County?

SHERIFFPAUL
06-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I got an email from awesome Billy Jack saying he hears SBSO is not doing appointments for 2013 already. Isnt Sheriff Hoops up for election this year and what happens if he loses?

The election is in 2014. I am running for sheriff in San Bernardino County. I will have a shall issue policy. Those who are felons, mentally ill and gangsters need not apply. San Bernardino County has 2,800 active CCW permits. During Hoops term from June 2010 to June 2012 he has denied/revoked 149 permits and issued 469 new permits. I hope to make us the leader in California regarding your 2nd Amendment rights. www.sheriffpaul2014.com

Splitz909
06-11-2012, 8:32 PM
My San Bernardino Timeline - Almost complete

10-27-11 Picked up application

11-3-11 Called for interview

12-1-11 Got interview date

3-6-12 Went in for interview

3-7-12 SO did neighbor hood check

3-8-12 - 3-20-12 References were contacted and letters were returned

5-14-12 Got call for the range class

6-9-12 Went to the range class

7 Months and 11 days so far.... Hopefully will be receiving the permit in the next few weeks

WASR10
06-11-2012, 11:17 PM

7 Months and 11 days so far.... Hopefully will be receiving the permit in the next few weeks

Congrats man! Its a great feeling to carry for the first time. I am sure it will come before you know it.

Splitz909
06-22-2012, 1:29 PM

Just got my permit in the mail today. Almost 8 month from start to finish!!
Today is a good day!!!

Knauga
06-22-2012, 1:36 PM
Congrats... start packing!

WASR10
06-22-2012, 1:47 PM
Just got my permit in the mail today. Almost 8 month from start to finish!!
Today is a good day!!!

Heck yeah!! Congrats man! Start carrying today!

FunkBass
06-30-2012, 6:54 PM
Hi, question:

I've been living in San Bernardino county for about 7 months. Do I have to wait until I've been here for a full year before I can begin any part of the process for a CCW? Thanks!

WASR10
06-30-2012, 7:24 PM
Hi, question:

I've been living in San Bernardino county for about 7 months. Do I have to wait until I've been here for a full year before I can begin any part of the process for a CCW? Thanks!

The twelve months is from the time you turn in the application. It took four months from the time I began the process to the date they gave me to turn in the application. I'm not sure how much more backed up they are with new applications, but it could easily be five months before you have to to turn your app in. On the other hand, you don't want to get an early interview date and be rejected for having 11 months residency instead of twelve and then have to start all over.

If it were me, I would pick up the app now, wait a month and then call to set an interview date.

FunkBass
06-30-2012, 7:50 PM
Thanks WASR, I appreciate the advice and knowledge that's available here.

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I know there are some really knowledgable people here and I have my interview in a couple of months. I want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row. There are a few things that are concerning me.

1)- Do the 3 letter reference and the 4 character references have to be different people? In other words, do I need a total of 7 people?

2)- It asks if Ive ever convicted of a criminal offense. At the age of 12 I got arrested for petty theft. Should I list this or say no?

3)- It asks if you've ever been addicted to a controlled substance or ever utilized an illegal controlled substance. I smoked funny cigarettes in high school. Should I list this as a yes?

4)- There is a question that asks me to list any arrests or formal charges, without disposition, for any criminal offenses within the U.S. or any other country. Does this have to do with the second question I asked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. A gift card to In and Out will be sent your way ;)

Splitz909
07-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I know there are some really knowledgable people here and I have my interview in a couple of months. I want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row. There are a few things that are concerning me.

1)- Do the 3 letter reference and the 4 character references have to be different people? In other words, do I need a total of 7 people?

2)- It asks if Ive ever convicted of a criminal offense. At the age of 12 I got arrested for petty theft. Should I list this or say no?

3)- It asks if you've ever been addicted to a controlled substance or ever utilized an illegal controlled substance. I smoked funny cigarettes in high school. Should I list this as a yes?

4)- There is a question that asks me to list any arrests or formal charges, without disposition, for any criminal offenses within the U.S. or any other country. Does this have to do with the second question I asked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. A gift card to In and Out will be sent your way ;)

1- Yes, they must be 7 deferent people and the letters have to be dated no more than 3 months old. The people that wright the letters will get a call and the 4 that you list will get a quick questioner to fill out and return.

2- List absolutely everything in your past. If they find anything that you didn't fess up to you will more than likely be denied. Nothing that happened when you were 12 should effect you.

3- As long as you never took a drug test and came up positive or been arrested for "funny cigarettes" you should be fine But if you want to be completely honest you could. I doubt that will effect your eligibility. San Bernardino is a fairly easy county to get your LTC.

4- Yes, list every encounter with law enforcement you have had. I listed all my traffic stops and even a curfew ticket I got ages ago. The more you list the better it looks I believe.

My advice is relax and jump thru all the hoops.. My interview was literally about 10 minutes long and I totally over thought it. If your a law abiding citizen you WILL get your LTC in my opinion. Like I said earlier, San Bernardino is fairly easy... Personal Protection is all you need for good cause out here. :)

Start to finish was about 8 months from the day I picked up the application to the day I got the permit. Hang in there and you will have it soon enough.

(I say all this assuming you are a decent human being with no criminal background and you can hit a B-27 target from 5 yards with 10 rounds anywhere on the black...)

Knauga
07-03-2012, 12:18 PM

1) Yes, although I did mine with 6 instead of 7 and didn't have any issues.

2-4) Yes.

Just make sure you follow the instructions they gave you with the packet completely. When I went through the process, they didn't want you to sign the application until the interview, I don't know if that has changed.

Like Splitz909 says, just follow the instructions and you'll be toting your pistol around before you know it.

Slinky
07-21-2012, 9:58 AM
First time post long time reader. Anyway I live in apple valley and our current Leo's are San bernardino sheriffs. We have a local office here. Do I go through the local pd office or the hq in San bernardino to get the paperwork for the ccw? Thanks

WASR10
07-21-2012, 10:06 AM
First time post long time reader. Anyway I live in apple valley and our current Leo's are San bernardino sheriffs. We have a local office here. Do I go through the local pd office or the hq in San bernardino to get the paperwork for the ccw? Thanks

If your local law is the Sheriff department then you can apply directly with SBSD at the 3rd street San Bernardino office. Good luck!

jkcerda
07-21-2012, 10:22 PM
What is the youngest a person can be so they can carry?

WASR10
07-21-2012, 11:01 PM
What is the youngest a person can be so they can carry?

21, the legal age to own a handgun

ke6guj
07-21-2012, 11:10 PM
What is the youngest a person can be so they can carry?there is no statutory minimum age limit mentioned in the PC or CCR. As such, 18 should be the limit but the issuing agency may not be willing to issue to those that young

21, the legal age to own a handgunIncorrect.

18 is the minimum age to be transfered a handgun in CA. It is assumed that 18 would be the age to make you own handgun as well, but I might be mistaken on that one.

jkcerda
07-21-2012, 11:49 PM
thanks.

jkcerda
07-22-2012, 12:19 PM
can a CCW/LTC from NM be used to carry in CA?

Splitz909
07-22-2012, 12:40 PM
can a CCW/LTC from NM be used to carry in CA?

California does not honor any others states LTC..

WASR10
07-22-2012, 4:27 PM
Incorrect.

18 is the minimum age to be transfered a handgun in CA. It is assumed that 18 would be the age to make you own handgun as well, but I might be mistaken on that one.

You're so awesome.

But yes,to correct my answer: federal law states that to purchase a handgun, you must be 21.

Rand B. Wilson
07-24-2012, 5:45 PM
Picked up my application today and called a few hours later to schedule my interview. got put on the 'waiting list' for a callback in December to schedule the interview for around June '13 ..
And the waiting begins...

Splitz909
07-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Picked up my application today and called a few hours later to schedule my interview. got put on the 'waiting list' for a callback in December to schedule the interview for around June '13 ..
And the waiting begins...

****!!! 11 month wait for the interview... May the force be with you!

Hang in there, if you get the interview and your a good guy, you will have your permit sooner than later...

bikr4jc
07-29-2012, 7:26 PM
Got the call this week... Interview is End of August!! WooHoo!!
So now the questions...
So for reason is just Personal protection that is all I have to put????

They also said that all my letters and utility bills need to be within the last 90 days. So keep that in mind with your witness letters...

Splitz909
07-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Got the call this week... Interview is End of August!! WooHoo!!
So now the questions...
So for reason is just Personal protection that is all I have to put????

They also said that all my letters and utility bills need to be within the last 90 days. So keep that in mind with your witness letters...

Personal protection works. My gc statement was a few paragraphs and it could have been narrowed down to one or two sentences. The investigator skimmed thru it and when she saw personal protection she signed off on it! Good luck, not that you'll need it..

DocClark340
08-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Heck yeah!! Congrats man! Start carrying today!

Carry everyday and every ware that is legal…..

Like an American Express card, never leave home without it!!!!!!

Educate yourself... Training, training, training.

I found this book to be a great resource as well.

“The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry
By Massad Ayoob”

http://www.krausebooks.com/the-gun-digest-book-of-concealed-carry?r=googleshopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&cid=1900&mr:trackingCode=6E32E74F-AB1A-E111-824F-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CIKrmuTd07ECFSUbQgod9TUAKA

:oji: :oji: :xeno: :cool2: :cool:

MrBrent
08-09-2012, 7:42 AM
+1 on the book!

VtotheZ
08-12-2012, 7:54 PM
12 month long wait to get an interview is just non-sense!

bikr4jc
08-13-2012, 9:12 PM
12 month long wait to get an interview is just non-sense!

They told me 12 months when I called in, they called me in 6.....

The Shadow
08-20-2012, 10:38 PM
I've been asked to write a reference letter for a girl at my workplace. The only reason I would do it is because she asked, but I'm absolutely against encouraging San Bernardino to continue doing something that is illegal.

I think it's a crock of crap that they should be able to get away with dangling a CCW in front of people while making them jump through hoops that aren't required by law, and are in fact not allowed by law.

So what's the deal here ? I thought a new law was enacted that was supposed to prevent this kind of thing from occurring.

WASR10
08-21-2012, 12:59 AM
I handle some gun sales in Orange County, Riverside County, San Diego County, and L.A. County. Almost every person I deal with is at awe with the fact that I am an actual CCW carrier. Makes me glad I live in San Berdoo county. I fully encourage the revocation of illegal LTC requirements, but I am also happy to comply - knowing I can legally conceal carry because of it.

So what do we do? I say comply, but at the same time actively work toward change.

barracudamuscle
08-21-2012, 1:08 PM
Stopped by yesterday at the SBSO HQ and picked up my green date/time
Stamped CCW application. The lady at the front desk was very polite and professional to me.

She informed me it's a 12 month back log at least then asked if I'd like to put my name on the list right then and there I of course obliged. Maybe after my tour overseas I'll be close to getting in line for the CCW process. Ill update my status changes if anyone's interested in an updated time line.

ivsamhell
08-26-2012, 1:06 PM
is there anything actively happening to change san bernardinos policy violations?

ivsamhell
08-26-2012, 1:15 PM
Can we fill out the standard DOJ app and turn it in and proceed from there if denied?
I'm unaware of any updates for San Bernardino since the sunshine and compliance initiative, I would appreciate knowing what is actually happening with it.

HowardW56
08-26-2012, 3:28 PM
SB249 and other time sensitive requirements in some of the cases that had been stayed pending Nordyke's final resolution demanded immediate attention. That was a temporary pause in Sunshine and Compliance initiatives...

There is a conference call next week to get things back on track and ramped up again...

ivsamhell
08-26-2012, 6:02 PM
SB249 and other time sensitive requirements in some of the cases that had been stayed pending Nordyke's final resolution demanded immediate attention. That was a temporary pause in Sunshine and Compliance initiatives...

There is a conference call next week to get things back on track and ramped up again...

thank you, I hope we get an update next week.

bikr4jc
08-29-2012, 9:43 AM
Getting ready to go into my interview. Kinda nervious.

WASR10
08-30-2012, 1:48 PM
Getting ready to go into my interview. Kinda nervious.

Its nothing to be nervous about, they're good people there. It'll go well!

bikr4jc
08-30-2012, 10:40 PM
It did go well, now the wait for the background and for the training class. One thing they did not give me the consent form to be notarized when I come in for the interveiw, if you pick up a packet and did not get a white paper that has to be notarized call them so they can mail it to you hopefully. I ran down the street to Waterman and Orange show Rd, there is a guy that does notary got it taken care of and returned it the same day...

WASR10
08-31-2012, 12:37 AM
It did go well, now the wait for the background and for the training class. One thing they did not give me the consent form to be notarized when I come in for the interveiw, if you pick up a packet and did not get a white paper that has to be notarized call them so they can mail it to you hopefully. I ran down the street to Waterman and Orange show Rd, there is a guy that does notary got it taken care of and returned it the same day...

The class is pretty fun. Bring a lunch and make sure to leave your firearms in the car. Waiting is the hardest part!

bikr4jc
09-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I heard that they make fun of you if you have 3 guns on your permit at the class. Is this true?

Splitz909
09-02-2012, 4:16 PM
I heard that they make fun of you if you have 3 guns on your permit at the class. Is this true?

They make fun of a lot of things in the class. The instructor is a funny guy.

bikr4jc
09-02-2012, 4:58 PM
OK, I have 3 on my permit, just wanted to be ready. If it all in fun I'm good with that...

Warpath650
09-04-2012, 8:30 AM
Just got my appointment... October :shrug:

Well I called in to verify my appointment date and was told they had No record of my appointment.

Warpath650
09-04-2012, 9:01 AM
I need your help people, what options do I have or what type of formal complain can I put in? Can I use my post here as prove? The lady at the desk said appointments were not issued until late March. I made mine 2-22-12 a day after I received my pack. I also have a private message from another Calgun member who made his appointment on 3-6 for an appointment date of 10-23. Is there anything I can do?

p.s. While talking to the lady I jumped on here to make sure I had the right month for my appointment. I casually explain to her I was on this site and she seemed upset at me mentioning Calguns.net><

IEShooter
09-04-2012, 9:25 AM
Sorry to hear about the delay. It is doubtful that a formal complaint will help. Sounds as if there was a simple mix-up on their end. It happens. Joyce and the nice folks who work there do great work but are human just like the rest of us.

If you "dropped multiple four letter words" on the phone with the folks at employee resources, that would be a very, very bad thing. It's not clear from your post, but I hope you controlled yourself while on the phone and dropped the words after you hung up.

Trying to show them posts you made on an internet forum as "proof" isn't going to help anything.

Believe it or not, CalGuns doesn't have a very good reputation with many folks out there. I don't think it's the leadership here, nor is it CGF and the work they do (on the whole). In my opinion, it is the all to frequent posts by people who, well.... let's just say they aren't all that balanced. :rolleyes:

My suggestion is to calm down, give it a week or so, then call back and see if there is anything they can do to get you in earlier. Remain calm and polite, even if they tell you that you need to wait until next year. Getting angry or emotional isn't going to help you. In fact, they may feel that you have anger issues and deny your application.

Please try and keep things in perspective. You and I may feel that being able to bear arms is a constitutional right. Unfortunately, the case law isn't quite there to support that yet. With any luck, we'll see a SCOTUS "bear" case in the next year or two that will make it very clear. Until then, SBCSO views it as a privelage that they can bestow, or not. Please keep that in mind, but also don't forget that they approve nearly everyone who applies. It's a matter of when, not if, unless you mess it up.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you asked for advice and I honestly feel that what I described is your best course of action.

Good luck.

Warpath650
09-04-2012, 9:44 AM
I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, all the F-bombs came after I was off the phone lol.

On another note, I thought I was beyond the age of crying like a little girl who just lost her favorite doll. :willy_nilly:

IEShooter
09-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, all the F-bombs came after I was off the phone lol.

On another note, I thought I was beyond the age of crying like a little girl who just lost her favorite doll. :willy_nilly:

That's excellent news. Glad to hear you controlled yourself on the phone. Now, you have nothing to overcome except the waiting.

I understand that you're disappointed. Heck, I would be to.

If it is any consolation, getting the actual permit is pretty anti-climatic. The clouds don't part, nor is there any lightening or thunder. There's a learning curve to carrying that we all go through. Heck, years on and I'm still changing out guns and holsters. Nothing works perfectly for me for all situations.

Before you know it, you'll be napping on the couch wearing your gun and it will become second nature.

Warpath650
09-04-2012, 10:43 AM
I live up in Victorville and plan on going down to see Joyce and see if there is anything that can be done to help my case.

Shortly after I got off the phone I wondered if they get people from time to time trying to bypass the wait list with stories of " But I made my Appointment!"

I picked up my pack on 2-21-12 (it is stamped on the pack) and promptly posted the news on this thread. The fallowing day I made the appointment 2-22-12 and posted the good news here.

The day I picked up the CCW pack.

Hi all! Long time lurker here. I just picked up my CCW application. I have read most post on it and Ijust want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I lucked out both of my neighbors are LEO and we get along great and my boss is pro-gun :D

1- Make my appointment Asap, correct?
2- Should I have my LEO neighbors write my letters or should they be part of the 4 who they contact? Also, do they contact all four or is it random?

I guess that is all for now and thank you in advanced for the help.

Next day when I made the appointment.

Just got my appointment... October :shrug:

Message from a fellow CalGunner whose dates correlate with my story

Hello I saw your post about being out into october for your interview and being put on the "pest" list (thats what my wife called it lol). I did mine shortly after you on 3-6-12 and got appointment for 10-23. I was hopping you would let me know when you get in so I can count on maybe 1-5 cancelations after you as they told me my ref and utility bills can only be 90 days old so I havent gotten those yet. Im really excited and think about it everyday. I should have done this a long time ago and kick myself all the time . Thanks,
**** in Rancho Cuc.

So my last and only option is to beg Joyce to take pity and allow me to get an earlier date. I have all of my paperwork and letters ready to go. Wish me luck!

bbcsnowman
09-08-2012, 2:08 PM
Got the call to take the range class on the 22nd, finally.

ivsamhell
09-08-2012, 4:02 PM
SBC is 'virtually' virtual shall issue so you have a fairly good chance of getting a CCW if you apply. HOWEVER, they do have a lot of illegal requirements. I am personally working on this matter with the CGF and I suggest you wait until I get in touch with them over these issues. Of course, if you don't mind the illegal requirements you could just apply now. Again though, I suggest you wait.

Whats the update? threads about two years old with none. What has happened? What is going to happen?

Gray Peterson
09-13-2012, 8:59 PM
UPDATE: We are seeking new applicants who reside in cities patrolled by police departments (not contracted sheriffs) who can help us challenging their "get denied by the city first" policy before being allowed application to the sheriff.

In Chicago, a patriot named Shawn Gowder, despite being without a handgun in their home for nearly two years while his federal court case was proceeding, won in US District Court to strike down their "violent misdemeanor" law as vague. See more about that: Gowder v. City of Chicago press release announcement from Ammoland (http://www.ammoland.com/2012/06/20/gowder-vs-chicago-another-win-for-the-right-to-keep-and-bear-arms/)

We seek NEW applicants who can do the same as Mr. Gowder. San Bernardino is doing numerous illegal things which is unlawfully and illegally suppressing the application pool. There should be 28,000 licenses in San Bernardino, but there are only around 4-5K. The reason is because of the illegal things which frustrate people and causes them not to apply.

Please LTC Volunteer (http://calgunsfoundation.org/get-involved/ltcvolunteer.html). The more people we get who are willing to challenge, the better.

supwicha
09-13-2012, 10:15 PM
I may have posted this question previously in the wrong place, my apologies. I applied and successfully received my CCW in Shasta county about 18 months ago, it was issued for the entire state or "within California" as stated on the permit. Is it going to be difficult to renew now that I am in San Bernardino county and what is the process? I assumed the "hard part" was going to get it in the first place, and renewal would not be so challenging. I currently live in Victorville. Do I have to apply there first? Will I automatically be denied?

Knauga
09-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I may have posted this question previously in the wrong place, my apologies. I applied and successfully received my CCW in Shasta county about 18 months ago, it was issued for the entire state or "within California" as stated on the permit. Is it going to be difficult to renew now that I am in San Bernardino county and what is the process? I assumed the "hard part" was going to get it in the first place, and renewal would not be so challenging. I currently live in Victorville. Do I have to apply there first? Will I automatically be denied?

The lousy part of California law on the subject is that you are a new applicant so you have to go through the entire process.

To answer your question, Victorville is a contract city with the Sheriff's Dept so you can apply directly to the Sheriff. As you already have a CCW in another county and are just relocating, you shouldn't have any issues with the Sheriff's illegal 1 year residency requirement.... hopefully. But that might be a good one for CGF to get involved with if they are already looking to deal with other illegal requirements.

You should have no problem getting a new CCW in SBC, but they have a heck of a backlog for applicants. Good luck!

bikr4jc
09-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Apply as soon as posibile.

jaymz
09-14-2012, 12:09 PM
UPDATE: We are seeking new applicants who reside in cities patrolled by police departments (not contracted sheriffs) who can help us challenging their "get denied by the city first" policy before being allowed application to the sheriff.

We seek NEW applicants who can do the same as Mr. Gowder. San Bernardino is doing numerous illegal things which is unlawfully and illegally suppressing the application pool. There should be 28,000 licenses in San Bernardino, but there are only around 4-5K. The reason is because of the illegal things which frustrate people and causes them not to apply.

Please LTC Volunteer (http://calgunsfoundation.org/get-involved/ltcvolunteer.html). The more people we get who are willing to challenge, the better.

I've volunteered twice way back when the first requests were posted. Zero response from anyone. I also happen to live in the city of San Bernardino, which has their own P.D. If you're serious about needing volunteers, let me know. I'll submit my info again. I've been sitting on my application forever, waiting for the "time to apply" post in this thread. I'm beginning to think that that post will not be coming anytime soon.

Gray Peterson
09-14-2012, 12:34 PM
I've volunteered twice way back when the first requests were posted. Zero response from anyone. I also happen to live in the city of San Bernardino, which has their own P.D. If you're serious about needing volunteers, let me know. I'll submit my info again. I've been sitting on my application forever, waiting for the "time to apply" post in this thread. I'm beginning to think that that post will not be coming anytime soon.

Incoming PM

SmokinMr2
09-14-2012, 4:59 PM
I volunteered when the first requests went out as well...not a peep ;)

There's 3 of us in Phelan-we contract with the Sheriff so no local PD. Been sitting on my ap for a year or so now...
No real interest in jumping through all the "Hoops", or at least references.

bikr4jc
09-15-2012, 9:13 AM
When qualifing what's the distance? Is there a mag change? If wheel gun what reloader can you use? can someone walk through the process.

Splitz909
09-15-2012, 5:59 PM
When qualifing what's the distance? Is there a mag change? If wheel gun what reloader can you use? can someone walk through the process.

10 rounds at 5 yards with a mag change , no time limit anywhere in the black on a B27 target. Just did mine about 3 months ago, don't think much has change.

bikr4jc
09-16-2012, 7:53 AM
So is it like 5 rnds drop mag reload 5 rnds?

Splitz909
09-16-2012, 10:22 AM
So is it like 5 rnds drop mag reload 5 rnds?

Or 6 and 4, 7 and 3, 9 and 1.... They just want a mag change somewhere in the 10 rounds

bikr4jc
09-16-2012, 6:39 PM
Thanks! They sent out the questionaires to refs and work so hopefully my range date comes soon

Splitz909
09-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks! They sent out the questionaires to refs and work so hopefully my range date comes soon

I think my range day came around 3 months after the references we're contacted. Total time from start to finish was around 8 months and 17 days. Hang in there.

bikr4jc
09-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Well then I guess I got time to practice

nathan4610
09-19-2012, 12:20 PM

I also volunteered at the time that it was requested, but got nothing in response. I got tired of waiting so i put in my application, Interview date is the 25th of September. I live in Barstow which has its own PD, but I was told by Joyce that I "DID NOT" need a refusal and that she would process my wife and I. So I might be of assistance, but am not willing to discuss the details on the public forum.

bikr4jc
09-22-2012, 10:45 PM
I was cleaning out the garage when my neighbor came by and told me the sheriff stopped by during asking questions about me. I asked him if they told him why they were checking. He said no, the officer said either i was apply with the SD or a licence or permit. I told him that was good, he's a good neighbor so I told him what it was for. Now he's going to apply. He said the officer card said sheriff / cornor. He thought that was strange. Hopefully Im getting close.

Steph
09-24-2012, 6:12 PM
He said the officer card said sheriff / cornor. He thought that was strange. Hopefully Im getting close.

The sheriff/coroner is the same department, that's why it said both, if that's what you're referring to.

The Cable Guy
10-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I might soon be moving into SB county into a City that has its own PD. I'll join in on the cause if and when I do. Also, giving this page a much needed bump!

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Well guys, Ive got my interview tomorrow. Any advice for a new applicant in the interview process? I made sure all my "I"'s are dotted and my "T"'s are crossed.

On a side note, I have a major midterm for school tomorrow at around an hour and a half after my interview is supposed to start. Do any of you know more or less how long the interview is from start to finish? I am hoping to get there early so I can get it started early. Thanks again and wish me luck :)

DocClark340
10-08-2012, 1:05 PM
Question,

The next person that goes in for there interview can you ask then this question?

“Am I permitted to carry a firearm concealed with my permit if I have to go into the County Sheriffs Office to conduct business, such as add or remove a firearm from my permit? Or is it prohibited?”

I have yet to hear an answer on this question. If you know the answer who was the officer and what where you told about this practice?

Thanks,

Doc

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DocClark340
10-08-2012, 1:09 PM
Well guys, Ive got my interview tomorrow.

Wrench,

Hit them up on this if you would be so kind.

Advice, just be honest and give simple answers to their questions. You never want to create another question with the answer you give. It should take about an hour to 1-1/2 from the time you walk in the door till the interview is over. That's about how log it took me.

Oh crap I forgot about the Life Scan finger printing, Give yourself another 40 minutes to an hour depending on the wait.........

Good luck

:oji::oji::oji::jump::jump::90::90:

bikr4jc
10-08-2012, 2:26 PM
My interveiw was at 10:30 when i was done livescan was closed for lunch so i had to wait till 1 for it to reopen luckly i signed in before i left so i was first in line after lunch

bikr4jc
10-08-2012, 2:43 PM
Relax, I was the same way, everyone on here was saying relax take it easy, be real and open. It will go by fast.

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-08-2012, 7:08 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. @ Doc Clark, I will ask for you. Just getting my slacks pressed and shirt stains out. Ill let you guys know how it went tomorrow.

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Well, I had to reschedule because I had the wrong address in my liscence and I needed a copy of my rental agreement instead of the 2 page copy of my lease. I will be back in 2 weeks. I was nervous. I always get nervous in situations like this. I almost can't help it.

WASR10
10-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Well, I had to reschedule because I had the wrong address in my liscence and I needed a copy of my rental agreement instead of the 2 page copy of my lease. I will be back in 2 weeks. I was nervous. I always get nervous in situations like this. I almost can't help it.

Yeah, sticklers for detail. I'm like you, I get nervous over every kind of interview. But two minutes with the lady and I felt at ease. As long as you're not a criminal, there is nothing to worry about. Patience, in this case, is rewarding. Take the hurdles as they come, and before you know it, you'll be carrying!

MrBrent
10-14-2012, 7:33 PM
Question,

The next person that goes in for there interview can you ask then this question?

“Am I permitted to carry a firearm concealed with my permit if I have to go into the County Sheriffs Office to conduct business, such as add or remove a firearm from my permit? Or is it prohibited?”

I have yet to hear an answer on this question. If you know the answer who was the officer and what where you told about this practice?

Thanks,

Doc

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

The answer is NO! Told by the officer (Sarah) the person that does the background checks and teaches the renewal classes. She was very firm on this in the renewal class.

ulmapache
10-14-2012, 10:54 PM
If you are adding a firearm to your permit, they will want you to have it unloaded and in a container for inspection....otherwise, do not enter premises with your firearm....common sense.

ulmapache
10-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Posted this elsewhere, here goes. I have a valid CCW in SB county, might be relocating to LA county. Can I transfer it to LA county, or will LA county treat me like a criminal and conficate my firearms?

MrBrent
10-15-2012, 8:01 PM
You will have to turn in your permit. You loose your right to carry because LA will not issue you one. Don't relocate and commute!

Tru2logan
10-17-2012, 11:05 PM
When is the next firearms class, does anyone know??? My application was approved over a month ago but I'm still waiting for the next class.

SmokinMr2
10-18-2012, 11:16 PM
So some things have changed...

My son picked up an ap today. I told him to bring ID but he didn't need it, even though he took it out.

They didn't take his name. The AP is not numbered.

They asked him how long he lived in the county. He said a year and a half, and they handed him one saying "here ya go".

They did tell him his ID would need to be remade to show his home address instead of a PO box.

I guess my problem with this is, the State does this automatically out here (rural), and the PD when running your license or ID have your actual residence already. Some folks put a PO box on their ID intentionally. Stalker victims do this from what I hear.

What's the problem, and what do we do about it?

Steveo8
10-19-2012, 11:06 AM
So some things have changed...

My son picked up an ap today. I told him to bring ID but he didn't need it, even though he took it out.

They didn't take his name. The AP is not numbered.

They asked him how long he lived in the county. He said a year and a half, and they handed him one saying "here ya go".

They did tell him his ID would need to be remade to show his home address instead of a PO box.

I guess my problem with this is, the State does this automatically out here (rural), and the PD when running your license or ID have your actual residence already. Some folks put a PO box on their ID intentionally. Stalker victims do this from what I hear.

What's the problem, and what do we do about it?

Are they still requiring the 7 references and additional questionaire at the interview?

bikr4jc
10-19-2012, 11:43 PM
When is the next firearms class, does anyone know??? My application was approved over a month ago but I'm still waiting for the next class.

I talked to them today, it will be December for the next class....

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Well I had my interview today. Everything went smoothly except for the fact that I got nervous on a couple questions. Hopefully they don't hinder me. I was a little hesitant to answer some medical questions in the beginning because of HIPPA laws, but in the end I answer truthfully. Overall staff was very helpful and very cordial.

DocClark340
10-22-2012, 11:12 AM
The answer is NO! Told by the officer (Sarah) the person that does the background checks and teaches the renewal classes. She was very firm on this in the renewal class.

IMHO, if the Sheriffs Department issues you a carry permit they apparently have determined that you are of good moral character and therefore worthy of a permit (one of the good guys). It’s Ok to carry in anyone else’s house but theirs?????

I wonder what their reasoning is. I of course will follow the rules without debate but I am curious why.

Anyone know why for sure?

:hide: :iggy2: :iggy2: :iggy2: :hide: :kest:

SmokinMr2
10-24-2012, 7:04 PM
Are they still requiring the 7 references and additional questionaire at the interview?

Yes...

SmokinMr2
11-07-2012, 4:51 PM
Looks like Sheriff Hoops is retiring in December...and he's recommending Assistant Sheriff John McMahon as his successor to the county Board of Supervisors.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/breakingnews/ci_21949160/san-bernardino-county-sheriff-rod-hoops-retire

http://www.vvdailypress.com/articles/sheriff-37540-valley-apple.html

FunkBass
11-11-2012, 2:57 PM
Hi everyone. I've been a long time lurker on the forums but rarely post. Anyway, I just became a 1 year resident of San Bernardino Co. and am still a little confused about just how exactly to start the process. I live in Upland which means we have a local PD. Is there anyone with expertise who can PM me with info on how to get started? Any info would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

winnre
11-11-2012, 4:19 PM
Go to the local PD and ask for a CCW application. They will likely laugh at you. Ask for a letter saying no. take that letter to the sheriff in San berdoo on 3rd street and pick up your app.

ki6ojv
11-13-2012, 9:01 PM
I have 2 homes. One in SB and one in OC. We spend all our free time at the house in SB and work in the OC. How's that work with applying for a CCW? The time is split between the two ?

Steph
11-13-2012, 9:31 PM
Is there a template for the reference letters? And what if you don't have 7 non-related people to use as references? Tough noogies?

winnre
11-13-2012, 10:27 PM
I have 2 homes. One in SB and one in OC. We spend all our free time at the house in SB and work in the OC. How's that work with applying for a CCW? The time is split between the two ?

Where did you vote? What's the address on your license? That's a good start.

Is there a template for the reference letters? And what if you don't have 7 non-related people to use as references? Tough noogies?

We count!

jaymz
11-13-2012, 11:01 PM
No need to go to PD. Just go to SBSO on 3rd St. and pick up your app.

bikr4jc
11-14-2012, 5:20 AM
If you live in a city that has its own police dept. You must get denied by them first before going to SBCSD and those agencies know the drill. Ontario told me straight out time fill out the form, we will send a letter of deniel and take that to SBCSD

ki6ojv
11-14-2012, 6:32 AM
Winnre there is no mail there so we keep everything going to the OC house. Ocsd is a no issue county.i was wondering if it was feasible to go through SBSD since we share time in both counties. Would they even let us apply. I could start registering everything up there but i would still be using the oc mailing addy.

winnre
11-14-2012, 9:41 AM
Winnre there is no mail there so we keep everything going to the OC house. Ocsd is a no issue county.i was wondering if it was feasible to go through SBSD since we share time in both counties. Would they even let us apply. I could start registering everything up there but i would still be using the oc mailing addy.

They will ask you two questions before they give you an application: Where do you live, and how long have you been there. If you live in OC you do not get an app.

They will want your tax bill, utility bill, neighbor references, they WILL go up the street asking your neighbors about you too, will they say you live in OC? I think what is on your tax forms, car registration, or CDL are going to be the clinchers.

SonorousAria
11-14-2012, 4:01 PM
Here's a question, I've been reading other people's experiences and mine seems a little strange. I went in June or July ( can't remember exactly which) and picked up my application. I called shortly after for my appointment. Instead of giving me a date, they took my name and number and told me they'd call me around December and would then be given an appointment around march. Does this sound like what happened to any of you? Additionally, I am a new resident (I was given my app because I would have my 1 year by the time of the appointment). I live in a sheriff contracted city. The web site and my local sub station both say that I am not subject to the 1 year requirement. The central office said I was. I'm not too concerned as they let me get my app, but I was just curious what you all thought.

Thanks

bikr4jc
11-14-2012, 10:27 PM
That sounds right. I did not get a date when i called. They took my name and number. They called me 3 months later with a date

Splitz909
11-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Here's a question, I've been reading other people's experiences and mine seems a little strange. I went in June or July ( can't remember exactly which) and picked up my application. I called shortly after for my appointment. Instead of giving me a date, they took my name and number and told me they'd call me around December and would then be given an appointment around march. Does this sound like what happened to any of you? Additionally, I am a new resident (I was given my app because I would have my 1 year by the time of the appointment). I live in a sheriff contracted city. The web site and my local sub station both say that I am not subject to the 1 year requirement. The central office said I was. I'm not too concerned as they let me get my app, but I was just curious what you all thought.

Thanks

Same here, no date just a call back a few months after I called them..

SonorousAria
11-15-2012, 9:48 AM
So they did call you. That's good to hear. Any word on how the new sheriff is going to be with issuing?

Splitz909
11-15-2012, 10:12 PM
So they did call you. That's good to hear. Any word on how the new sheriff is going to be with issuing?

The did call, and I went thru the long process and now I carry every day everywhere I go. It took a little over 8 months from start to finish but was well worth the wait. Hang in there... The new sheriff should have the same view on LTC as Hoops does, so I've heard..

bikr4jc
11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
So just got call for range date. How long after range date, do they issue the permit.

bkoyle
11-28-2012, 10:39 PM
4-5 weeks.

Splitz909
11-29-2012, 12:41 AM
So just got call for range date. How long after range date, do they issue the permit.

I received my permit 2 weeks after the range day.. I talked to other people that were in the class with me the same day and I took almost 2 months for theirs.. Luck of the draw I guess..

bikr4jc
11-29-2012, 6:04 PM
Thanks!

bikr4jc
12-13-2012, 6:18 PM
Coming soon! Hope I'm ready for the class.

desertmedic
12-16-2012, 2:55 PM
Is "for self defense" or for "personal defense" still an acceptable cause statement for SBSO?

bikr4jc
12-16-2012, 8:12 PM
Yup.

desertmedic
12-16-2012, 8:56 PM
Thanks Bikr.

ivsamhell
12-16-2012, 11:32 PM
well hoops is to retire this month, hopefully the policy doesn't go downhill.

Mr_Monkeywrench
12-16-2012, 11:35 PM
I had a question for you guys. I had my interview late October and People have gotten and returned letters, but I havent heard anything since. How long does it take to get a response (whether yes or no) after the interview?

bikr4jc
12-17-2012, 5:07 AM
Call Joyce ask her if she got everyones responce. She will let you know where it is at in the process.

tylenol9999
12-18-2012, 4:30 PM
We will definitely find out if the process willl change with the new sheriff as i am in the process and will not finish under Hoops.

SonorousAria
12-18-2012, 4:54 PM
When SBSD was doing their investigation, were they discrete? Or did all your neighbors and employer find out you were applying for a ccw?

tylenol9999
12-18-2012, 5:55 PM
I have not gotten that far yet.

bikr4jc
12-18-2012, 6:25 PM
They told my neighbors that I was either applying for a job or permit with the sheriff they did not mention CCW I don't know what they told my boss. I will try to find out

Steph
12-18-2012, 7:22 PM
When SBSD was doing their investigation, were they discrete? Or did all your neighbors and employer find out you were applying for a ccw?

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a "concealed" permit doesn't it? <_<

MrBrent
12-18-2012, 9:17 PM
It was about 3 1/2 years ago when I was going through the process and they Did tell my neighbor what they were asking questions about. Neighbor had a few questions after but was cool about it. I wasn't real happy they did it though.

tylenol9999
12-19-2012, 8:00 PM
What needs to be covered in the reference letters?

bikr4jc
12-19-2012, 9:36 PM
How long have known you that your reliable and trustworthy and that you're applying for a CCW

FunkBass
12-22-2012, 7:01 PM
Any idea if the new Sheriff has made any changes to the process?

I just picked up an application from my local PD, have to turn it in, get denied, and then head over to the Sheriff's dept..

jww
12-22-2012, 7:31 PM
Finally took the class today. It was great. Follow the your packet instructions, have your references in check and be honest on the app. If you're a decent person, it will work its way through. I know it's a long long wait but definitely worth it.

Bikr- good meeting you today. I'll definitely get to one of the shoots in the future.

bikr4jc
12-23-2012, 7:29 AM
Class was great. Now the wait begins!

JWW- It was good meeting you. Hope to see you at some of the IE shoot.

winnre
12-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Got my renewal letter. Got the money orders and other stuff they wanted. There have been some changes in the last few years. If you are up for renewal you will need to provide more information than in the past. Sharpen your pencil!

sexytyranno
12-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Got my renewal letter. Got the money orders and other stuff they wanted. There have been some changes in the last few years. If you are up for renewal you will need to provide more information than in the past. Sharpen your pencil!

Care to share what's changed? I'm rather curious if they're adding more bloat to the process, or if it's some legitimate changes. (My guess is the obvious -- bloat.)

winnre
12-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Check for PM.

barracudamuscle
01-02-2013, 2:45 PM
Just called today to see where I was in the long line. I was told they ran out of dates and will start calling more people once they figure out more dates.

jww
01-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Check for PM.

Mind sharing with one more?

Splitz909
01-04-2013, 12:30 AM

What were the changes? Can you message me? I'm up for renewal soon..

SmokinMr2
01-09-2013, 6:35 PM
http://www.pe.com/local-news/politics/imran-ghori-headlines/20130109-san-bernardino-county-theres-a-new-sheriff-in-town.ece

The new San Bernardino County Sheriff is John McMahon.

I wonder if anything will change?

kel-tec-innovations
01-11-2013, 7:17 AM
How is the back log or wait?

Has the application packet changed? I picked one up a year or two ago and been sitting on it because:

1. Colton PD said they don't issue CCW and turned me away, I asked for a supervisor or captain etc. to write me a letter but no one was in. They gave me a number to call, called several time, left messages, no response.

2. I found out I need to be a citizen to get CCW, so I put it off until I get my citizenship

I became a citizen on August 2012 and I sent a email to Colton PD today to request a denial letter again. Hopefully I hear from them.

Mr_Monkeywrench
01-11-2013, 5:54 PM
Got a phone call today :shifty: February 2

DocClark340
01-14-2013, 7:26 AM
Dose anyone know if there is a new procedure to adding/removing a firearm from your permit? Have the fees changed?

:confused::confused::confused:

kel-tec-innovations
01-14-2013, 8:16 AM
How is the back log or wait?

Has the application packet changed? I picked one up a year or two ago and been sitting on it because:

1. Colton PD said they don't issue CCW and turned me away, I asked for a supervisor or captain etc. to write me a letter but no one was in. They gave me a number to call, called several time, left messages, no response.

2. I found out I need to be a citizen to get CCW, so I put it off until I get my citizenship

I became a citizen on August 2012 and I sent a email to Colton PD today to request a denial letter again. Hopefully I hear from them.

Bump, anyone got answer to those questions?

winnre
01-14-2013, 8:55 AM
They only want you to change your firearms once per year now.

They will make sure you know you cannot conceal carry for an employer.

-------

You have been sitting on an application packet for a year? No idea if it had changed, you may want to call and ask. Tell them Colton will not give you a letter, and if Colton does not issue CCWs then I am rather sure the County knows that.

Yes I saw they wanted you to be a citizen too, some here say that is illegal. You can buy a gun with a green card why not carry one? Go ahead and challenge it. Ask to see their justification for discrimination.

xmikedentx
01-14-2013, 9:01 AM
Any cal gunners going to the feb 16th class?

Mr_Monkeywrench
01-14-2013, 2:05 PM
Any cal gunners going to the feb 16th class?

I was going to, but I opted for the 2/2/13 instead.

nathan4610
01-14-2013, 3:17 PM
I have applied, been through the interview, background is fine. The deputy investigating my permit application is telling me that she MUST have a copy of my apartment lease with 6 months remaining.

Here is my situation. I own a house in San Bernardino county, and have lived there for over 5 years. I also rent an apartment approx 150 miles away because I work in the transportation industry. I travel between the two "residences" every other day via my job and get rest at one, then I return to the other, then back, and so on.

Ive been at this apartment for about 5 years as well, but my lease expired at the end of the first 6 months that I was there, now I am month to month.

I believe that I have satisfied the 1 year residency requirement by owning and primarily living at my house. The apartment is just for obtaining rest between trips , but since I do spend a significant amount of time there I listed it on my application.

So, what do you think I should do? Just ask for another lease and suck it up, or try to reason with the deputy that my residency requirement has been fufilled and they are causing me undue hardship by extending a lease that I may not want to have 6-12 months from now?

If it wasnt for this, me and my wife would have been in the range class on the 16th of Feburary... Let me know what you think.

xmikedentx
01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
I'd get a 6 month renewal on your lease, maybe save some money over the month-to-month, AND satisfy the SD.

Tru2logan
01-18-2013, 9:06 PM
Has anyone from the class a few days before Christmas gotten their permit yet??? I am patiently waiting and just wondering if its only me :)

Warpath650
01-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Any news on calls for interviews in 2013?

ke6guj
01-19-2013, 2:16 PM
Has anyone from the class a few days before Christmas gotten their permit yet??? I am patiently waiting and just wondering if its only me :)

a friend of mine got his this last Thursday.

bikr4jc
01-19-2013, 4:12 PM
Been waiting also, talked to another Calgunner yesterday and all we got is our recipt.

Sounds hopeful that someone got theres thursday

DocClark340
01-21-2013, 7:05 PM
I want to add/remove a firearm, which isn't a problem but I was told over the phone that just printing a revised permit will take 4-6 weeks!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

DdddddAaaaaaaMmmmmmmm................

Warpath650
01-22-2013, 7:10 PM
I just got a call from the Sheriffs Department I have my interview March 14th:mnl:

WASR10
01-24-2013, 7:00 PM
Question about modifying the license:

I understand SB has a new rule that you may only modify your carry list once in a two year period. Does anyone know, would that include mods made before this rule was made?

I changed mine about 6 months ago, but wish to change one more time for my remaining year before renewal.

winnre
01-26-2013, 6:24 PM
WASR10, turns out they had people modifying their permit every 45-60 days and that simply takes too much time. They have a lot of applicants and renewals that take priority.

WASR10
01-27-2013, 12:33 AM
WASR10, turns out they had people modifying their permit every 45-60 days and that simply takes too much time. They have a lot of applicants and renewals that take priority.

winnre, I do appreciate the response, but my question remains unanswered.

jww
01-28-2013, 9:52 PM
I was in there Friday and they have a sign up that said due to the amount of applictions, modifications would only be done once per calendar year unless stolen or change of address.

Your best bet would be to call and ask them.

WASR10
01-28-2013, 11:10 PM
I was in there Friday and they have a sign up that said due to the amount of applictions, modifications would only be done once per calendar year unless stolen or change of address.

Your best bet would be to call and ask them.

If it's per calender year, then I'm good. I like that there are so many applicants :) Thanks for the info!

HighLander51
01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Just finished renewal class January 23rd. Modifications are once per 2 year period unless lost or stolen. Also the guns MUST SHOW REGISTERED TO YOU BU THE DOJ and the serial number must be complete. I had a Glock come back less the 'US' suffix and I have to go back thru the DOJ now. They are also talking about requalification with a changed gun.

Gray Peterson
01-29-2013, 1:39 PM
Just finished renewal class January 23rd. Modifications are once per 2 year period unless lost or stolen. Also the guns MUST SHOW REGISTERED TO YOU BU THE DOJ and the serial number must be complete. I had a Glock come back less the 'US' suffix and I have to go back thru the DOJ now. They are also talking about requalification with a changed gun.

BS and illegal on their part.

WASR10
01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
I called and spoke with Diana,

she says modifications may be done 12 months apart. So depending on when you do your first mod, it could be up to two mods in a two year term. She also said that the fee has dropped to $15.

I'm heading down Thursday :D

Question about modifying the license:

I understand SB has a new rule that you may only modify your carry list once in a two year period. Does anyone know, would that include mods made before this rule was made?

I changed mine about 6 months ago, but wish to change one more time for my remaining year before renewal.

winnre
01-31-2013, 8:38 AM

I was in that class too. A few other interesting points they made to share with others:

1. There has been no court case where a CA resident used a UT permit to CCW in a third part state (not CA or UT) and had to use the firearm so there is no precedent that the permit will be honored. The Sheriff feels folks are wasting their $ with permits from other states, unless you actually go to that state.

2. The permit is to carry a concealed weapon, the key word being A. not two or three but ONE. Expect to get flack from the plaintiff if you had more than one gun on you.

3. I'm dropping my 642. After hearing a story about how 5 shots is not enough bullets even when used by a pro I think i will go get a Glock 19 and three mags.

mej16489
01-31-2013, 3:05 PM
2. The permit is to carry a concealed weapon, the key word being A. not two or three but ONE.

That's not what mine says. It says, "License To Carry Concealed Pistol, Revolver, or Other Firearm Within the State of California"

It also clearly has a "Section B - Description of Weapon(s)" on it with more then one gun listed.

:)

winnre
01-31-2013, 8:06 PM
That's not what mine says. It says, "License To Carry Concealed Pistol, Revolver, or Other Firearm Within the State of California"

It also clearly has a "Section B - Description of Weapon(s)" on it with more then one gun listed.

:)

What it does NOT say is: "License To Carry Concealed Pistols, Revolvers, and Other Firearms Within the State of California"

SmokinMr2
02-01-2013, 5:37 PM
BS and illegal on their part.

Then what's to be done about it?
ANY word on ANYTHING with San Berdoo?...

Mr_Monkeywrench
02-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Had my interview and passed. Just took my safety class at apple valley gun club. The class was 9 hours long (more or less), but it flew by. The instructors there were phenomenal. Great instruction by a SBSD captain. A lot of personal stories and advice. I'm going to be checking the mailbox every day until I get it.

Ghostworks Arms
02-04-2013, 11:03 PM
@Mr_Monkeywrench, I live in the same city as you and am about to start the process. Did you go to our sheriff's office here in the city for the application or San Bernardino HQ?

thanks and congrats!

Quiet
02-04-2013, 11:14 PM
@Mr_Monkeywrench, I live in the same city as you and am about to start the process. Did you go to our sheriff's office here in the city for the application or San Bernardino HQ?

thanks and congrats!

You need to pick up the application at the San Bernardino County HQ in San Bernardino.

wildhawker
02-04-2013, 11:39 PM
The state standard application is all that can be required.

Just an FYI that CGF is working on San Bernardino. Standby for more.

-Brandon

Mr_Monkeywrench
02-05-2013, 12:58 AM

thanks and congrats!

Just like Quiet stated, you have to go down to the main sheriffs station in the city of San Bernadino to pick up the app. I think its the station on 3rd street if I'm not mistaken. They are very helpful there. Thanks man. The wife is picking up her application Wednesday.

tylenol9999
02-05-2013, 3:57 PM
Is anyone available to critique my good cause statement?

WASR10
02-06-2013, 5:07 PM
Is anyone available to critique my good cause statement?

I am in no way an expert on the system, but my good cause statement worked for me. I would be happy to read yours, if you like. Pm me

jaymz
02-06-2013, 7:56 PM

-Brandon

:twoweeks: ????????

tylenol9999
02-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Well had my interview on the 6th, I must say I am impressed with the entire process and especially the people at SBSD. Now the tough part, waiting.

cpljbone
02-14-2013, 7:38 PM
I just picked up my application today, and I need to call them tomorrow, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone could offer some clarification on the following points:

1. I have a rejection letter from my police department, but it doesn't specifically state they don't object to applying through the county, how big of a deal will this be, or should I get one that specifically states?

2. Will my DD-214 with home of record/home of discharge or voter registration suffice as proof of residence? I just got out of the military and don't have much else to prove it besides the fact that I've lived my life here.

3. Do I complete sections 6,7, and 8? I know it says all, but does it really mean absolutely everything expect sign and date?

4. For our county, how much does the good cause statement matter? Do I have to craft some elaborate thing or will self defense suffice? Feel free to PM me on this if you don't want to post publicly.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ghostworks Arms
02-14-2013, 7:47 PM
Thanks for your service cpljbone!

First, you can call the number on the first page of the packet, it's been my experience so far that I've had my questions answered.

For #3, I was told basically, fill out all sections, just don't sign or date any of it till your appointment.

For #4, I would suggest to review some of the GC by counties (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/category/17-2011audit.html) as example of "how much" to put, your reason's are your own, so can't advise there.

Also, I was told letters of reference and the 4 person's are no longer required as of a few days ago.

winnre
02-15-2013, 9:31 AM
1. It's only a formality. SBCO knows that cities do not issue.

2. Proof of residence is your rental agreement if you rent or property tax paperwork if you own. A DD214 is not enough as it shows your HOR which is no guarantee of a current residence.

3. I do not recall the sections 6, 7 an 8 as I have no app in front of me, but my advice is to not leave anything blank. If it does not apply put N/A, none, 0, or other appropriate entry. A blank space can be seen as something skipped. Just like in the military, you can even add /////NOTHING FOLLOWS//// to account for no further entries.

4. You need more than you did two years ago. It's getting tougher out there. I will PM you.

barracudamuscle
02-15-2013, 2:28 PM
Also, I was told letters of reference and the 4 person's are no longer required as of a few days ago.

That would be awesome and great news towards streamlining the process. I got a call mid Jan and have an appointment mid April they stated the letters of reference can be no older the 60 days old on the date of the interview.

Kind of a hassle because all my letters are dated in January 2013 and now I have to ask my friends to redo it all over.

Can anyone else confirm the reference letters going away?

tylenol9999
02-15-2013, 8:19 PM
I just had my interview and indeed they told me not to fill the 4 references and no need for the 3 character letters.

ivsamhell
02-15-2013, 8:28 PM
I just had my interview and indeed they told me not to fill the 4 references and no need for the 3 character letters.

great news!

ke6guj
02-15-2013, 8:33 PM

related?

-Brandon

cpljbone
02-15-2013, 10:53 PM
I can confirm I got the same information too. They said don't need to get letters or put anyone down for references. I'm assuming that the employment history and address history section still need to be filled out as normal, although that's not apart of the standard application.

kel-tec-innovations
02-15-2013, 10:54 PM

That is awesome! Those 4 references and 3 character letter made it difficult for many trying to get a CCW. Are they still visiting your neighbors and telling everyone your getting a CCW?

kel-tec-innovations
02-15-2013, 11:16 PM
I can confirm I got the same information too. They said don't need to get letters or put anyone down for references. I'm assuming that the employment history and address history section still need to be filled out as normal, although that's not apart of the standard application.

I wonder what they are looking for in the employment history? Will where you worked before and your job title/duty affect your CCW qualification?

branden.w
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
I just finished reading this 12 page thread and am motivated to apply for my LTC. I have a few questions :

1. My driver's license indicates that I live in Riverside County but I've lived in San Berdoo County for years now. I have filed the change of address form but DMV doesn't issue a new license simply because you change your address. Question: Do I need a new license with my current address or can I use the old one considering DMV has my current address on file?

2. I was convicted of DUI over .08 over 8 years ago. Other associated charges were dismissed. Will this DUI have an effect on my ability to obtain my permit? Are dismissed charges considered? Should I attempt to expunge this conviction before applying?

3. I have seen accounts of acceptable GC that vary from Personal Protection (Self Defense) to fearing great bodily injury or death due to working in high risk occupations. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks and Semper Fi!
Branden

cpljbone
02-19-2013, 4:09 PM
I just finished reading this 12 page thread and am motivated to apply for my LTC. I have a few questions :

1. My driver's license indicates that I live in Riverside County but I've lived in San Berdoo County for years now. I have filed the change of address form but DMV doesn't issue a new license simply because you change your address. Question: Do I need a new license with my current address or can I use the old one considering DMV has my current address on file?

2. I was convicted of DUI over .08 over 8 years ago. Other associated charges were dismissed. Will this DUI have an effect on my ability to obtain my permit? Are dismissed charges considered? Should I attempt to expunge this conviction before applying?

3. I have seen accounts of acceptable GC that vary from Personal Protection (Self Defense) to fearing great bodily injury or death due to working in high risk occupations. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks and Semper Fi!
Branden

I can't comment on #2&3, but for #1 I know that when you pick up the application in person at the Sheriffs office, they will scan your drivers license and ask you if the address on it is the current one you live at, you can probably just tell them no and explain since it's common knowledge. Or if you got a lot of time left on your license before renewal you can just pay the $25 and get a new one issued anyways.

nathan4610
02-19-2013, 5:12 PM
Got the call today, range class on March 2nd for my wife and I at Apple Valley Gun Club!!!

I want to thank all of the pioneers here that gave me the info that I needed to go through with this. I had to do the 4 references and 3 letters but I am thrilled that things are going our way on getting the county to comply with state law.

If anyone else is going, let me know.

tylenol9999
02-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Got the call today, range class on March 2nd for my wife and I at Apple Valley Gun Club!!!

I want to thank all of the pioneers here that gave me the info that I needed to go through with this. I had to do the 4 references and 3 letters but I am thrilled that things are going our way on getting the county to comply with state law.

If anyone else is going, let me know.

When did you have your interview?

WASR10
02-20-2013, 12:11 AM

Thanks and Semper Fi!
Branden

On #1, you will need a license with your current SB county address on it before they will issue the ltc. May as well get it done now to avoid delays.

Can't help you with #2, but on #3 go with what you have seen. Good luck!!!

Mini14
02-20-2013, 2:01 PM
Ok. Just gone done reading through the 12 pages, and I started the process yesterday by visiting my local PD. I have the following questions thus far.

1.I visited my PD (Upland) to inquire about CCW policy & application. Got sent up the chief’s Secretary who gave me an application and told me to call for an interview when complete. I see conflicting info on this thread – will I ever need the denial letter from my PD? I understand that it is illegal for SBCS to require it, I just want to know if I have to jump through the PD hoops, pay $ if it’s not actually needed. I’m planning on jetting over to SBCS office with the wife in the next week.

2.Are the SB country apps available for pickup on the weekend?

3.I rent month to month. I have been at the same unit for 3 years, 8 months. Do I need to get some kind of 6 month lease from the landlord?

4.GC statement. It sounds like “personal defense” is not cutting it anymore. Any recent applicants that can attest to that? Also, I’ve read SB will not issue for work. Does this mean if I travel to various locations, including rough areas at off hours for work, that I should not use that as part of my GC?

Thanks for the info thus far, looking forward to the process…well the hopeful end results anyway!

nathan4610
02-20-2013, 5:19 PM
When did you have your interview?

September 25th.
I ran into a small issue with my second residence as listed in this forum, but only waited an additional month. My wife who applied on the same date, interview on the same date was approved in mid January.

nathan4610
02-20-2013, 5:29 PM
Ok. Just gone done reading through the 12 pages, and I started the process yesterday by visiting my local PD. I have the following questions thus far.

1.I visited my PD (Upland) to inquire about CCW policy & application. Got sent up the chief’s Secretary who gave me an application and told me to call for an interview when complete. I see conflicting info on this thread – will I ever need the denial letter from my PD? I understand that it is illegal for SBCS to require it, I just want to know if I have to jump through the PD hoops, pay $ if it’s not actually needed. I’m planning on jetting over to SBCS office with the wife in the next week.

2.Are the SB country apps available for pickup on the weekend?

3.I rent month to month. I have been at the same unit for 3 years, 8 months. Do I need to get some kind of 6 month lease from the landlord?

4.GC statement. It sounds like “personal defense” is not cutting it anymore. Any recent applicants that can attest to that? Also, I’ve read SB will not issue for work. Does this mean if I travel to various locations, including rough areas at off hours for work, that I should not use that as part of my GC?

Thanks for the info thus far, looking forward to the process…well the hopeful end results anyway!

Number 3 - I had a similar issue with the month to month on rent, at one point they told me that I "needed" a current rental agreement with at least 6 months remaining on it. I ended up getting a notarized letter from my landlord stating that i've been at the location for several years and am currently on a "open ended lease". Thats what worked for me, but it was also a second residence in San Bernardino Co, not my primary.
They may require a year if its your primary.

kel-tec-innovations
02-20-2013, 6:13 PM
I wonder what they are looking for in the employment history? Will where you worked before and your job title/duty affect your CCW qualification? How accurate does the dates have to be?

MrBrent
02-20-2013, 9:09 PM

Where are you getting this info. I have my LTC and will have to renew in a few months. Last renewal Personal Protection was ok.

zombiescanlearn
02-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Newbie to the CCW world, and I didn't know where to start on this thread to get the most updated information that I would need. So, my apology in advance for my already answered dumb questions.

I'm moving out to the unincorporated part of Victorville in March in a rental and plan on going to the Sheriff to apply for my CCW, what do I need to bring with me?

Anyone can tell me the steps I'll need to go through? It sounds like the SB Sheriff is friendly to issuing CCW, right?

RayzHELL
02-21-2013, 11:15 PM
San Bernardino vs. Riverside Counties for CCW? Which one is more friendly/easier?

WASR10
02-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Newbie to the CCW world, and I didn't know where to start on this thread to get the most updated information that I would need. So, my apology in advance for my already answered dumb questions.

I'm moving out to the unincorporated part of Victorville in March in a rental and plan on going to the Sheriff to apply for my CCW, what do I need to bring with me?

Anyone can tell me the steps I'll need to go through? It sounds like the SB Sheriff is friendly to issuing CCW, right?

Hi zombiescanlearn! The first step is going to the Sheriff's office in San Bernardino and picking up an application. You will need your driver's license and the first question they'll ask is whether you have been a resident of SB county for 1 year. Next is filling out the application and calling for an interview date. After the interview comes the background check. Following that is the safety class and then issuance of the LTC. There are details to every step, and some may have changed since I went through. The process will take a bit of time, but it's worth it! The people at SBSD are very friendly and helpful, so make sure to be kind in return. Feel free to ask questions all the way through, that's how I was able to confidently go through the process. Best of luck to you!

zombiescanlearn
02-22-2013, 6:07 AM
Hi zombiescanlearn! The first step is going to the Sheriff's office in San Bernardino and picking up an application. You will need your driver's license and the first question they'll ask is whether you have been a resident of SB county for 1 year. Next is filling out the application and calling for an interview date. After the interview comes the background check. Following that is the safety class and then issuance of the LTC. There are details to every step, and some may have changed since I went through. The process will take a bit of time, but it's worth it! The people at SBSD are very friendly and helpful, so make sure to be kind in return. Feel free to ask questions all the way through, that's how I was able to confidently go through the process. Best of luck to you!

Is there a time requirement in SB? I will just moving there in March so, no, I have not been a resident there for a year. Will that disqualify me?

WASR10
02-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Is there a time requirement in SB? I will just moving there in March so, no, I have not been a resident there for a year. Will that disqualify me?

I would call them and ask, 909-387-3750. There used to be a 1 year residency requirement. But I also hear that it is taking up to a year to go through the entire process, so maybe they will take that in to account?

Mr_Monkeywrench
02-22-2013, 9:37 PM
I got my permit in the mail yesterday. I can't tell you how greatful I am for all that you guys helped me with. If it wasn't for calguns, I would not even attempted to go through the process. Now my wife has an interview in June. :cool:

Quiet
03-01-2013, 12:03 AM
From other forums...
The new San Bernardino County Sheriff, John McMahon, has changed the issuance policy and no longer accepts "personal protection/self-defense" as a reasonable good cause for issuance. Need to articulate something more than just a simply self-defense statement.

Calplinker
03-01-2013, 6:55 PM
From other forums...
The new San Bernardino County Sheriff, John McMahon, has changed the issuance policy and no longer accepts "personal protection/self-defense" as a reasonable good cause for issuance. Need to articulate something more than just a simply self-defense statement.

This is not entirely accurate. They will no longer let you simply write two words, (personal protection) as your good cause. They want you to round that out with some language explaining what that means to you.

Nevertheless, their threshold for issuance remains the same, which is in fact stating that you want to carry for personal protection.

Simply put, they want you to write more than just two words, but still approve virtually everyone who is not legally prohibited.

More importantly, our new Sheriff has streamlined the process and is moving people through in droves!!!!!

cpljbone
03-13-2013, 1:54 PM
I called and left a voice mail about a month ago requesting a time for an appointment, and still haven't received a response yet. Is this just due to backlog or should I try calling again?

Mr_Monkeywrench
03-14-2013, 1:11 AM
Ive got a question. I now have a coworker pursuing his LTC, but he lives in Montclair. He has to get a letter of denial from the PD before he gets to submit the app with the sheriff. They have been giving him the runaround for the past 3 weeks. They said they do not give letters of denial and referred him to the CADOJ. He cant move further in the process until he gets the letter.

What recourse does he have? Is there anything he can do at this point in order to get a letter of denial? Essentially, they are denying him a letter of denial. Ironic.

jaymz
03-14-2013, 6:32 AM
From DOJ website:

"If you live within a jurisdiction of a city Police Department, you may apply to the county Sheriff's Office for a CCW license. However, only residents of a city may apply to a city's Police Department for a CCW license."

You do not need to apply to PD first.

Warpath650
03-14-2013, 7:54 AM
I had my interview yesterday. Everything was going great up until they asked me for the copy of my naturalization papers I had the copy but then they asked if I had the original on me... Nowhere on the application does it say to bring originals. My appointment was postponed. But all in all it was. Good experience all the people involved were great.

winnre
03-14-2013, 8:05 AM
Ask why you need to be a US citizen.

bmir02
03-17-2013, 11:12 PM
I have my interview next week...we'll see how it goes.

IamJAd
03-17-2013, 11:50 PM
I have my interview next week...we'll see how it goes.

Good luck. Keep up posted. Mine is in May.

cpljbone
03-18-2013, 4:32 PM
Just called and scheduled. Earliest was July. I guess it could be worse, I could live in L.A..

jaymz
03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
07/11 appointment for me. I also got confirmation that reference letters are no longer a requirement.

cpljbone
03-19-2013, 10:16 PM
07/11 appointment for me. I also got confirmation that reference letters are no longer a requirement.

8A.M. also?

Steveo8
03-20-2013, 1:51 PM
Can anyone confirm about the 4 references and the additional questionaire at interview time?

Novaholic
03-20-2013, 2:04 PM
4 references are no longer needed and the additional questionaire is a check off yes/no sheet

jaymz
03-20-2013, 3:35 PM
8A.M. also?

9am

cpljbone
03-20-2013, 10:00 PM
4 references are no longer needed and the additional questionaire is a check off yes/no sheet

Do they still require the 3 letters?

Ewcmr2
03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Anyone know the current Interview/livescan -> range date time frame?

I'm at 6 weeks of waiting for a call...

jaymz
03-21-2013, 3:22 PM

Reference letters not required.

Keep calling. Appointments are being set for July as of early this week.

xmikedentx
03-25-2013, 8:45 AM

90 days to the day after the interview to schedule the range class. And that was a month out from the phone call I got. Patience young grasshopper...

tas237
03-25-2013, 8:46 AM
I currently live in Nevada where a CCW is given freely to anyone witha clean record and reasonable skill with a firearm. I am originally from PA and the laws are similar there.

However, I may be moving to San Bernadino County CA for work soon (and the fact that the wife's family lives there as well). Needless to say, I'm more than a bit concerned that I will not be able to get a permit in San Bernadino County. Currently, I carry everyday.

I have a clean record.
Discharged honorably from USMC.
My job requires travel through remote areas.
My job requires that I carry medicines worth $350 each x 20.
I do know some CA LEOs & Emergency Services people (not sure if that helps at all).

A lot of the info I can find through Google seems like it could be very outdated and often contradictory. Maps show San Bern as a "Will Issue" while a lot that I've read suggest that it may actually be a "Will Issue for Good Cause." I'm not sure if my employment would justify good cause or not.

Anyone with experience in getting their CCW in San Bern able to give me current year info or advice? I know laws can change year to year, Sherriff to Sherriff.

Thank you in advance.

jaymz
03-25-2013, 9:24 AM
SB County is still pretty much "shall issue". The new sheriff has made some changes. Reference letters used to be required, but aren't now. The wait time seems to have been reduced as well (though still a long process). The biggest obstacle for you may be residency. Rumor has it that SBSO requires 1 year prior residency before you apply.

xmikedentx
03-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Tas- you might have an issue with using your ccw for your employer. The back of the cards say "Not to be used for employment purposes"

Now if you are self employed, I believe that's different. My company prohibits firearms on property and in company vehicles, so I'm stuck carrying outside of work only.

Just have a good reason other than employment, and go through the process. Call and check the residency requirements though.

tas237
03-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks Jay.

I've heard the 1 year residency requirement on two forums now. Sounds likely. I've also been told that approximate times are around 5 months so I'm probably looking at 1 1/2 years after a move...ugh. I suppose it's still better than many counties.

I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of the 3 firearm limit on the permit. Seems rather illogical. I'm guessing the reasoning has to do with familiarity of the platform?

One more question: If I bring in sidearms (10 rounds or less capacity) that aren't on the CA approved list, I've heard I can still carry these weapons once licensed & that the CA approved list only applies to what may be sold in the state of CA. Can anyone verify?

03-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Just have a good reason other than employment, and go through the process.

Self defense is the only reason you need but apparently you have to expound. You cannot just write down "self defense".

jaymz
03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks Jay.

I've heard the 1 year residency requirement on two forums now. Sounds likely. I've also been told that approximate times are around 5 months so I'm probably looking at 1 1/2 years after a move...ugh. I suppose it's still better than many counties.

I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of the 3 firearm limit on the permit. Seems rather illogical. I'm guessing the reasoning has to do with familiarity of the platform?

One more question: If I bring in sidearms (10 rounds or less capacity) that aren't on the CA approved list, I've heard I can still carry these weapons once licensed & that the CA approved list only applies to what may be sold in the state of CA. Can anyone verify?

There isn't any restriction (as far as the law is concerned) with the number of guns you can carry. The application has room for 3, but it also says to "use additional pages if necessary". The restriction is put in place by the issuing agency for some reason. If you have any questions that you can't find a satisfactory answer to, Joyce over at the SBSO (909-387-3750) has been very helpful.

bmir02
03-26-2013, 3:56 PM
Just finished my interview...now the real waiting begins. Was told that personal defense on its own was no longer acceptable. You must elaborate why you need a ccw license. They also said I could expect a call in 3 months for my range class.

Steph
03-26-2013, 5:59 PM
My bf recently had his interview and they were really impressed with the certificate he got from TASC, so if you have any from training classes you've taken, bring them along with you.

03-26-2013, 7:14 PM
I picked up my packet which consists of:

1. white section (1 page) - notarized authorization to release information
2. yellow section (2 page) - pre-background interview form (yes/no check off)
3. green section (25 page) - SBSD/DOJ application

Can anyone confirm about the 4 references and the additional questionaire at interview time?

My packet still has a section (G.) asking for 4 persons to give current or past information about you.

Reference letters not required.

My packet still has a section (F.) asking for 3 letters of character reference.

Was told that personal defense on its own was no longer acceptable. You must elaborate why you need a ccw license.

Can anyone who has recently received their CCW elaborate on what kind of statement is acceptable and what to do regarding the 3 letters and 4 names?

tylenol9999
04-02-2013, 7:30 PM
I had my interview in early February and neither the 4 recurrences nor the the 3 reference letters were required.

Knauga
04-02-2013, 8:36 PM

Bureaucratic laziness. There are three lines on the form so that becomes the defacto limit. There is no legal restriction on the number or type of handguns you carry.