PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

harbinger007
07-25-2011, 8:42 AM
The system won't let you go more than 1 year out :(

Hmm, guess they changed the system. Last December I made my renewal appointment for November 2012. I hope it's still on their system.

jb7706
07-26-2011, 8:14 AM
Surprised to hear the reporter state that she is going to apply. It's great to see that though cause most news these days and news reporters seemed to be on the other side of the fence on CCW

Actually there are several reporters, anchors and others associated with TV news in Sacramento that have taken CCW courses. I'd assume, but do not know, that they went through the entire process. It's often not the reporter on the scene with the issue, it's the people editing the footage that cut it against our side. I have witnessed what looked like a very fair to positive interview in the field turn into a disaster on TV just because of the way it was edited before it aired.

FlyboyJS
07-26-2011, 1:20 PM
Actually there are several reporters, anchors and others associated with TV news in Sacramento that have taken CCW courses. I'd assume, but do not know, that they went through the entire process. It's often not the reporter on the scene with the issue, it's the people editing the footage that cut it against our side. I have witnessed what looked like a very fair to positive interview in the field turn into a disaster on TV just because of the way it was edited before it aired.

Great point

harbinger007
07-27-2011, 9:26 PM
Did Sacramento's requirements change re: use of drugs? Librarian was mentioning the use of aspirin, etc. in the case of Merced (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6850522&postcount=21) and I recall asking about Sacramento's "under the influence of drugs" or some such thing when I was applying last fall. I'm constantly under the "influence" of statin medications to control cholesterol, naproxen to control pain and inflammation of old joints, etc. I see at http://www.sacsheriff.com/organization/office_of_the_sheriff/images/ccw_process.pdf that Sacramento now lists "no illegal drug use." I'm sure some folks with CCWs have prescriptions for narcotics, etc. that might have as much or even a greater affect on their actions than alcohol but any consumption of alcohol is prohibited. I'm just guessing SSD didn't want to come up with a list of what drugs should be prohibited but I also think that very light consumption of alcohol should not be a prohibiting factor (i.e., half a glass of wine or whatever). Is anybody in the know able to say if this was a topic of discussion between CGF and the SSD when the Sykes suit was being dropped?

MTG Firearms
07-28-2011, 10:46 AM
I just had my initial interview. It was very straightforward. I will update when I receive the letter. Thanks Calguns for all that you've done to help the process.

kozumasbullitt
07-29-2011, 8:32 PM
Quick question, Is Livescan required if you have done a Livescan in California before? I had to do the Livescan process when I obtained a sales license years ago.

Markinsac
07-29-2011, 8:53 PM
Quick question, Is Livescan required if you have done a Livescan in California before? I had to do the Livescan process when I obtained a sales license years ago.
Yes, you do. The LiveScan information goes back only to the agency which has the routing code on the request. Nobody wants to accept someone else's report.

Atwater
07-31-2011, 4:30 PM
Doh, why did I wait. The next available appointment through their online scheduler is in April 2012.

Keep checking the calendar. I have a mid-February appointment and this past Tuesday I was having trouble sleeping. I logged on to the scheduling calendar around midnight and there was an appointment the next morning at 9:45-10. As much as I wanted to jump on it, I didn't have my application filled out yet. I also had no alternative plan to get my kids to camp in the morning. There are cancellations. Hopefully when one pops up you'll be more prepared than I was. It won't happen to me again. My application is filled out and the wife is on notice that if I run across another last minute cancellation she will need to get the kids where they need to go.

DULLYJAY
07-31-2011, 6:10 PM
Yep! Keep checking. I got a date two days after I 1st looked.

MTG Firearms
08-02-2011, 6:23 AM
The wait for the approval/denial letter is worse then the ten day wait for firearms. It feels like it's been a month but it's only been a few days.

DULLYJAY
08-02-2011, 7:11 AM
I know how you feel. Hang in there. I think I received letter on 9th day.The wait for the approval/denial letter is worse then the ten day wait for firearms. It feels like it's been a month but it's only been a few days.

MTG Firearms
08-02-2011, 8:52 AM
I know how you feel. Hang in there. I think I received letter on 9th day.

I'm trying to be patient. It would be nice to receive the letter in 9 days. They told me that they are meeting this week and I should have a reply in about three weeks.

rcserg
08-03-2011, 9:53 AM
I scheduled a interview for April 26th (most recent day available) is there a way to know if a sooner date is available or do I just keep checking the website?

ChrisTKHarris
08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
I scheduled a interview for April 26th (most recent day available) is there a way to know if a sooner date is available or do I just keep checking the website?

Keep checking

kelley_aj
08-03-2011, 2:46 PM
I'm trying to be patient. It would be nice to receive the letter in 9 days. They told me that they are meeting this week and I should have a reply in about three weeks.

I interviewed on a Wed. the officer told me they met the following week and to expect a letter in 3 weeks. I received my letter 17 days after the interview on Saturday. I would suspect you should get your letter within 2 weeks.

On a side note go to the Kilgore station to get your LiveScan done. Faster, less people and much cooler in the waiting room!! I tried Marconi and they are busy pretty much all day. Went to Kilgore today at lunch and was in and out in @ 20 min.

762cavalier
08-06-2011, 7:03 PM
WOO HOO 107 days later I finally got it.:party:

MTG Firearms
08-07-2011, 5:56 AM
WOO HOO 107 days later I finally got it.:party:

Congrats.

Drivedabizness
08-07-2011, 2:58 PM
I don't want to sound like an ungrateful curmudgeon, really I don't.

But if "good cause" is "self defense", and "good moral character" is "not prohibited" (those WERE the terms under which McGuinness settled, were they not?), why the outrageous backlog?

I realize we should be grateful, and I am... but a 9-month wait? For what? They should be able to verify background in (forgive the CGN pun) two weeks. The good cause requires no verification at all, and a CIC/NICS check should take less than a week or be damn near instant (like the Brady check we don't get to use here in the People's Republik).
I would think the entire handling by SSO staff should take no more than a few hours.

Can someone help me understand?

hoffmang
08-07-2011, 3:17 PM
I don't want to sound like an ungrateful curmudgeon, really I don't.

But if "good cause" is "self defense", and "good moral character" is "not prohibited" (those WERE the terms under which McGuinness settled, were they not?), why the outrageous backlog?

I realize we should be grateful, and I am... but a 9-month wait?

Can someone help me understand?

Headcount. Also, we left them some discretion on GMC for now. This can't be the way this works in the future, but until the legal landscape changes next year, I suggest we not look this gift horse in the mouth.

-Gene

Gio Rez
08-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Do I mail in my live scan form or do I wait till my final appointment to turn it in?

Markinsac
08-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Do I mail in my live scan form or do I wait till my final appointment to turn it in?
If you've done the fingerprints, just hold on to the copy you got back. The department will get the clearance information directly from DOJ. If you haven't taken your class, now would be the time to do so.

Gio Rez
08-08-2011, 1:09 PM
If you've done the fingerprints, just hold on to the copy you got back. The department will get the clearance information directly from DOJ. If you haven't taken your class, now would be the time to do so.

Thank you for the information.

I just finished my course over the weekend.

I'm almost done!:D

kimber_ss
08-08-2011, 8:25 PM
Did I hear Rowena, the reporter for Fox 40 News correctly? She said her March appointment "might" move to January? So mine might bump also.

rr23bar
08-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I feel you bob. Had my appointment on july 6th, was told they would be reviewing in two weeks. Still haven't received a letter yet.

MTG Firearms
08-09-2011, 7:54 AM
I feel you bob. Had my appointment on july 6th, was told they would be reviewing in two weeks. Still haven't received a letter yet.

Wow. I haven't heard of it taking so long for anyone to receive their response letter. I hope that someone with more knowledge will chime in and help you.

rr23bar
08-09-2011, 12:37 PM
They did cash my check though. I plan on contacting if I don't receive by the end of this week

Markinsac
08-09-2011, 8:44 PM
They did cash my check though. I plan on contacting if I don't receive by the end of this week
I'd recommend calling tomorrow. People who have been there after you have apparently gotten mail. Call and inquire - it might be that yours was delivered wrong.

bokguay
08-09-2011, 8:49 PM
You'd probably have better luck sending amber an email.

MTG Firearms
08-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Have you called or e-mailed yet? I'm curious to know what the outcome was.

rr23bar
08-11-2011, 3:34 PM
I emailed, but have not received a reply yet. I will call tomorrow if I don't hear anything tomorrow morning. Has anyone had an appointment after the 6th of july who has gotten their notification?

kelley_aj
08-12-2011, 9:52 AM
Mine was July 14 and I received my letter on the 30th.

rr23bar
08-12-2011, 1:06 PM
Ok I talked to Amber today and she said they hadn't finished my packet for review yet. They will review on Wednesday. Im thinking they had to do a little more preparing mine for review. I don't have squeeky clean past. Plus I had my CCW from Humboldt county before moving down here. Should receive letter in about a week and a half according to Amber.

ParanoidCivilian
08-12-2011, 8:15 PM
A little of topic but if anyone plans on canceling their appointment please PM me and let me know. Would to jump in line for a sooner date than April of 2012.

Blisstar
08-15-2011, 9:12 AM
A little of topic but if anyone plans on canceling their appointment please PM me and let me know. Would to jump in line for a sooner date than April of 2012.

Also check the appointment site multiple times a day if you can. My original appointment was schedule for March 21, 2012 and just by checking back several times a day I jumped it up to July 21, 2011. I already got the approval and waiting for the livescan to come back.

Hang in there and just keep checking!

RoarinRow
08-16-2011, 9:48 AM
Holy smokes! I just found an opening for tomorrow which I grabbed right away. I went from April 11, 2012, then rescheduled to March 15, then got the one for tomorrow. Woo hoo! Now I'm nervous lol.

If anyone wants a March 15 schedule, please let me know so we can coordinate my cancellation and someone from here can grab that date.

MTG Firearms
08-16-2011, 3:50 PM
Is there anyone that has applied on July 28th or later that has not received a response letter yet? Everyone that I talk to is receiving their response letters within two weeks. My fiance and I both applied on the 28TH of July and we haven't heard anything yet. I swear this has been the longest wait ever.

Bandsecurity
08-16-2011, 6:18 PM
My timeline:
Appt. 7/14, Approval request for livescan 7/28, Did Livescan 8/1 and recieved clearance letter yesterday. Plan to make my final appt today.

pyromensch
08-16-2011, 9:24 PM
Wow. I haven't heard of it taking so long for anyone to receive their response letter. I hope that someone with more knowledge will chime in and help you.

i think it would matter as to how old you are, and how much you moved around, in the past.,....more ground to cover.

RoarinRow
08-17-2011, 9:19 AM
I just came back from my appointment and now the wait begins. I also just cancelled my original appointment that was scheduled on Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM PDT. It should be open for grabs now.

rr23bar
08-22-2011, 2:51 PM
Just received my approval letter in the mail today. Now time to find a class.

MTG Firearms
08-22-2011, 8:20 PM
Just received my approval letter in the mail today. Now time to find a class.

Same here. It's a good day

ParanoidCivilian
08-22-2011, 8:26 PM
Anyone going to cancel there appointment soon?

darthnugget
08-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Got my letter of approval today! Finally something good from moving to Sacramento.

snowdog650
08-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Just to reiterate what others have mentioned on here ...

The Kilgore location for LiveScan was superb. Got there today around 0900, and was out the door at about 0915. No wait at all and kind, courteous staff.

MTG Firearms
08-23-2011, 4:32 PM
I had my livescan done today as well. The approval letter states to forward the third copy of the livescan paperwork to the sheriff. How have you guys done this? Should I mail, fax, ect?

harbinger007
08-23-2011, 5:32 PM
Bring your LiveScan in with your final appointment. You need to wait to hear from SSD in maybe 2-4 weeks (maybe shorter and longer range) that they've received written clearance on your background check. I think sometimes there was some confusion about what copies were given to the applicant when the LiveScan was done but I did it last November and don't really remember the specifics.

ParanoidCivilian
08-24-2011, 1:10 PM
Just got lucky and was able to secure a interview tomorrow morning. I was looking at the application on Section 7 Investigator's interview notes, if I site self protection as to why I need a CCW, I have to explain and provide good cause. What did you guys say?

Blisstar
08-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Just quote your good cause staement "for the defense of myslef and my family" and you'll be fine.

Just got lucky and was able to secure a interview tomorrow morning. I was looking at the application on Section 7 Investigator's interview notes, if I site self protection as to why I need a CCW, I have to explain and provide good cause. What did you guys say?

MTG Firearms
08-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I just confirmed that my livescan was completed on 8-23 via the automated number for DOJ. Any idea on how long before Sac Sheriff receives the results and notifies me that it is complete? By the way I have now become a CGN contributer because of all that they have done for us. Thank you calguns

ParanoidCivilian
08-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Had my interview this morning and it was straight forward and to the point. In and out in 30 minutes. One question that was asked of me has me a little worried. The question was " How long have you been a gun owner" My reply was, 6 months Mind you I've shot other people's guns for 20 years but I have not been a gun owner since 6 months ago.

Would this be cause for denial?

harbinger007
08-25-2011, 8:36 PM
I just confirmed that my livescan was completed on 8-23 via the automated number for DOJ. Any idea on how long before Sac Sheriff receives the results and notifies me that it is complete? By the way I have now become a CGN contributer because of all that they have done for us. Thank you calguns

I received my final letter from Amber last November a little over two weeks after doing my LiveScan. Mine also cleared a day or two later. She told me that they had to receive some formal written confirmation of the clearance instead of relying on automated information.

harbinger007
08-25-2011, 8:37 PM
Had my interview this morning and it was straight forward and to the point. In and out in 30 minutes. One question that was asked of me has me a little worried. The question was " How long have you been a gun owner" My reply was, 6 months Mind you I've shot other people's guns for 20 years but I have not been a gun owner since 6 months ago.

Would this be cause for denial?

No, don't worry about it. It's on their list of questions and I don't think they give it much thought. If you have a clean record it's a slam dunk.

ls1norcal
08-27-2011, 5:17 PM
Hey folks, I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer.

Im in Sacramento. I got my approval letter June 29th, and still havent found the time to take a CCW course. The letter said to setup an appointment within 30 days of receipt of the letter. Please someone tell me I dont have to start this process all over again...

Also, at the appointment for issuance, do I need my livescan paperwork? I figured this would just automatically sent over, but someone told me I must have it! Thanks.

Markinsac
08-27-2011, 10:28 PM

Im in Sacramento. I got my approval letter June 29th, and still havent found the time to take a CCW course. The letter said to setup an appointment within 30 days of receipt of the letter. Please someone tell me I dont have to start this process all over again...

Also, at the appointment for issuance, do I need my livescan paperwork? I figured this would just automatically sent over, but someone told me I must have it! Thanks.

You might contact them and explain - you might have to start over, but you might not.

I wasn't given any paperwork to return after my livescan - I got the letter saying that I'd cleared, and to make the final appointment. You will, however, need to have your CCW class completion for the final appointment.

MTG Firearms
08-28-2011, 10:52 AM

I believe it states to have your livescan done within 30 days. Did you already do the live scan? If so did the sheriff send you confirmation that your live scan was completed? I sure hope that you don't have to start all over:facepalm:

msb
08-28-2011, 3:49 PM
I just wanted to extend my gratitude for the wealth of information that has been posted in this thread. I applied (Months ago), had the interview, took a training class (Sac CCW and Utah CCW), got the acceptance letter, and got live scanned. I am awaiting the final interview. This thread, and its information really helped me through the process. Calguns Rocks!

yinzunza
08-29-2011, 9:48 AM
I just moved back into Sacramento County and made my appointment, boy was I surprised that the earliest date was June of 2012!! If anybody is needing to cancel theirs, and is sooner than that, could u please let me know so that I can jump on that appointment date please?! I would really appreciate it! Thx

ParanoidCivilian
08-29-2011, 3:05 PM
Do what I did, Check the site ten times a day and hope to get lucky.

epilepticninja
08-31-2011, 8:31 PM
I just moved back into Sacramento County and made my appointment, boy was I surprised that the earliest date was June of 2012!! If anybody is needing to cancel theirs, and is sooner than that, could u please let me know so that I can jump on that appointment date please?! I would really appreciate it! Thx

Check the site daily, you'll find a much earlier slot.

Darklyte27
09-04-2011, 4:33 PM
Just heard from a friend he got his CCW in sac last week.

ChrisTKHarris
09-04-2011, 5:02 PM
Just heard from a friend he got his CCW in sac last week.

Cool.

MTG Firearms
09-06-2011, 11:15 AM
So my live scan was completed on 8/23 and the results were sent electronically to Sac Sheriff. Any idea on how long after they send the results electronically before they send the firearms eligibility letter?

w6vfo
09-06-2011, 3:13 PM
If anyone is going to miss their initial interview appointment or plans on canceling, please let me know (PM). I've already completed the training and just waiting - my initial appointment is scheduled for April. Thanks. Bob

vietfrost
09-06-2011, 7:04 PM
there are 2 initial appointment times available right now for tomorrow afternoon. i just saw it on the website.

w6vfo
09-07-2011, 1:01 PM
OH MAN! I must have just missed them - I go to the appointment scheduler many, many times a day and it seems like all appointments are booked into mid-2012. Does anyone know of a good way to check for cancelation? Thanks. Bob

Markinsac
09-07-2011, 3:11 PM
OH MAN! I must have just missed them - I go to the appointment scheduler many, many times a day and it seems like all appointments are booked into mid-2012. Does anyone know of a good way to check for cancelation? Thanks. Bob

There is no best time - when someone releases an appointment, it becomes available until taken. The only way at this time is to check the web site and hope someone has cancelled.

They have several staff working a lot of hours to handle all this - if they add more people, the costs to them go up. According to some comments I've seen, the money goes into the County Treasury, not specifically for the Sheriff.

camss69
09-07-2011, 6:33 PM
Just cancelled an appointment for tomorrow at 11am, it shows open on the website.

Less than 2 minutes later... it's taken... dang..

joems
09-07-2011, 8:39 PM
K just had my interview last week. Should i do live scan or ccw class in the next 2weeks? How long is the live scan and class certificate valid?

Markinsac
09-08-2011, 5:36 AM
K just had my interview last week. Should i do live scan or ccw class in the next 2weeks? How long is the live scan and class certificate valid?

It is best to wait for the acceptance letter before going for the fingerprints - if your application is held up for any reason, they might get the DOJ letter before they've said OK to you.

ParanoidCivilian
09-08-2011, 5:27 PM
Received my acceptance letter today, tomorrow will do my live scan. Any recommendations for my training class?

rr23bar
09-08-2011, 8:00 PM
Just finished my training with Wes today. Was a great time I highly recomend him

intradubio
09-08-2011, 8:11 PM
Today is 3 weeks since my first appointment. Still no approval letter...

Markinsac
09-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Today is 3 weeks since my first appointment. Still no approval letter...

The committee doesn't meet every week. Also, if there was anything of a question on any items, they will take a little longer to verify things.

w6vfo
09-09-2011, 8:50 AM
Just cancelled an appointment for tomorrow at 11am, it shows open on the website.

Less than 2 minutes later... it's taken... dang..

I'd been looking for a cancelation and happened to be on the site when you canceled so I grabbed it. Had the interview - it went very smoothly and everyone at the Sac County Sherriff's office was extremely nice and congenial. What a great group of officers and detectives.

I had them cancel my April 2012 appointment and by the time I checked it (within a few minutes), it was gone. Like you say ......"dang..."

sirsloth
09-09-2011, 8:54 AM
The committee doesn't meet every week. Also, if there was anything of a question on any items, they will take a little longer to verify things.

Yup, the detective that did my interview yesterday told me that the panel meets every other week. If they got all my records in time for the next meeting I would be getting my acceptance/denial letter in approx. 3 weeks. If not, it would be 5 weeks.

I had some misdemeanors on my record that were expunged per PC 1203.4 and an arrest as a juvenile. The detective really grilled me on the details of those cases. Seriously, if these weren't 9+ year old cases, I probably would have shut my mouth and lawyer-ed up. It was that uncomfortable.

After the interrogation was over with, I asked him for his opinion, which he kindly stated. If it were up to him, I wouldn't be getting my LTC, but he stressed that he wasn't on the panel and that his opinion didn't really matter. Throughout all this he was very professional.

RoarinRow
09-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I just got my acceptance letter yesterday, which was a little over 3 weeks from my interview. Now I'll go for my LiveScan and see how it goes from there. :)

jdavis
09-10-2011, 10:39 PM
My first interview appointment is next month. I've done training. Is it possible to get a live scan before the interview, or does it need to be at the request of the SD?

The question is can one turn in everything at once and shorten the process?

Markinsac
09-11-2011, 12:06 AM
My first interview appointment is next month. I've done training. Is it possible to get a live scan before the interview, or does it need to be at the request of the SD?

The question is can one turn in everything at once and shorten the process?You won't get any approvals at the first appointment. You want to wait until you get the letter giving you the OK to continue, then get the fingerprints done.

Once you get the fingerprint clearance, just make your final appointment - you can usually get those within a couple of days.

anoldguy
09-11-2011, 7:38 PM
I read a post from vietfrost above, and sent a PM but thought it might be of use to all of our membership and get info from a larger cross-section of those that have dealt with this. The question is, looking for an earlier appointment than July (which is the earliest currently available), how do you find an earlier one, and how do you cancel an appoinment in July once you've saved it? I went into the page as if I were going to secure a July date and entered my information, but if I 'save' that appointment and then find one that is earlier, how do I 'cancel' the July appointment? I'm anxious to get my process rolling as are most of the people looking at this thread. But also want to make sure I behave in a resposible manner for those that might sign in behind me and would be willing to adopt my 'cancelled' July appointment. Any help here?

harbinger007
09-11-2011, 9:10 PM
I obtained my LTC just prior to the online system being implemented but shortly after that I made an appointment for my renewal but mistakenly made it one year away instead of two years. As I recall, there was a link in the confirmation that came from my appointment that allowed me to go back and cancel that appointment and then I went ahead and made my renewal appointment just prior to my two year anniversary.

Markinsac
09-11-2011, 9:49 PM
I read a post from vietfrost above, and sent a PM but thought it might be of use to all of our membership and get info from a larger cross-section of those that have dealt with this. The question is, looking for an earlier appointment than July (which is the earliest currently available), how do you find an earlier one, and how do you cancel an appoinment in July once you've saved it?

You will get an email with a link for each appointment you make. Just use the link to get back to the system to cancel the appointment once you make a new one.

anoldguy
09-12-2011, 10:10 AM
THX. I'll do just that.

snowdog650
09-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Just had my final appointment this morning for LTC. Wanted to give everyone my timeline:

28 June: Took LTC training course with John Taylor at Best Handgun Training in Lincoln.
9 August: Booked online appointment for 10 August (lucky, I know).
10 August: Initial appointment.
22 August: Received letter from SCSD requesting LiveScan.
23 August: LiveScan Completed.
8 September: Received approval letter from SCSD and set-up final interview.
13 September: Had final interview and gave thumb-print.

Was told I will have the LTC in about 2 days.

MTG Firearms
09-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Just had my final appointment this morning for LTC. Wanted to give everyone my timeline:

28 June: Took LTC training course with John Taylor at Best Handgun Training in Lincoln.
9 August: Booked online appointment for 10 August (lucky, I know).
10 August: Initial appointment.
22 August: Received letter from SCSD requesting LiveScan.
23 August: LiveScan Completed.
8 September: Received approval letter from SCSD and set-up final interview.
13 September: Had final interview and gave thumb-print.

Was told I will have the LTC in about 2 days.

I have a very similar timeline. My final appt was also yesterday. I hope that you're right about the permit arriving in two days. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

anoldguy
09-14-2011, 10:05 PM
I’d like to offer a shout-out to all the CalGuns members for the support and valued information they’ve provided regarding their experiences in the pursuit of a CCW. Please keep in mind that the number of slots for appointments fill up quickly and are currently pushed out until July of 2012. If anyone feels that they will not be able to attend at the date and time prescribed, please utilize the ‘Cancel’ option of their appointment confirmation e-mail, or contact Amber Wong at the SCSD to release the date and time so that another member/citizen of our community can take advantage of it.

smfdff
09-18-2011, 9:46 AM
I've got my initial appointment for this Wed. AM. Anyone else here going Wed.? Have all of my requirements in place except for the livescan.

briguy73
09-19-2011, 4:36 AM
For those looking for an open slot, I have read in the LTC section that the best time to look is the afternoon (not sure why - that's just what I've seen). I was checking every day, several times a day at work. Finally, I was at home one evening at 5:30 and decided to check, and sure enough, there was an open appointment for the very next morning! I booked it right away. I held off on canceling my original appointment until after my new one (just in case it was too good to be true!). Turns out, it almost was too good to be true. When I got there the next morning, my name wasn't on their printout and they didn't have a folder set up for me. They put me in the waiting room for a few minutes while they went through their records and did confirm that I legitimately made an appointment and took me in.

When I got home after the appointment, I promptly canceled my previously scheduled appointment - and just for giggles, I checked 5 minutes later and it was already snatched up!!!

smfdff
09-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Hey all.. I have seen on some other threads regarding interviews were folks are taking a H-36, DMV printout with them. I have been over the application a few times concerned I am missing something that states to bring a DMV printout,. My appt. is Wednesday, the 21st and still can not find the requirement. To anybody that has gone to an interview within the last week, are they asking for a DMV printout? Thanks...

anoldguy
09-19-2011, 12:17 PM
I called Amber this afternoon (874-5371) to get it right from the source. She said that all that is required for your initial appointment is a check or money order for $20.00, a completed application, and a photo ID. No DMV anything. Hope this helps and that she won't get dozens of calls for the same info.
M

smfdff
09-19-2011, 12:35 PM
I called Amber this afternoon (874-5371) to get it right from the source. She said that all that is required for your initial appointment is a check or money order for $20.00, a completed application, and a photo ID. No DMV anything. Hope this helps and that she won't get dozens of calls for the same info.
M

Thanks for checking..

ccwtrainer
09-19-2011, 1:48 PM
I know I've posted this on a previous page in this thread but, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department is willing to accept training certificates that are dated up to 2 years old. You do not have to wait until the last minute to do your course!

If you have a clean criminal history and aren't worried about passing the background portion of the process, take your training at anytime that's convenient for you ... yes, even prior to your initial application appointment. If you have anything in your past that makes you a bit concerned, wait until you get your approval letter.

This should help those of you who are really strapped for time, especially as we are getting closer to the holiday season.

Take care and stay safe!

joems
09-19-2011, 5:48 PM

DULLYJAY
09-20-2011, 2:23 PM
Had finial appointment this morning. Was told by end of mounth or early next, I'll have my LTC.

smfdff
09-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey folks, Had my initial interview on Wednesday morning and asked the deputy how things are going and he mentioned that the two appointments prior to me were no shows. IMO if you can not make your appointment you need to contact Amber so she can remove you from the list and open up the time slot. You may not know but when you sign up the SSD pulls a records check on you for your appointment so they do do some work on you prior to your appointment.

On the time it is taking now; the Detective told me that the board was meeting this week and I should receive my approval letter within 2 weeks with instructions included.

sirsloth
09-23-2011, 2:41 PM
Got my denial letter today. I have 30 days from the date of the letter to appeal.

DULLYJAY
09-23-2011, 3:21 PM
Had finial meeting on Tuesday. Got LTC in mail TODAY!!

htuong95
09-24-2011, 2:10 AM
My appointment won't be till July 2012. Anybody cancelling their appointment please let me know.

kimber_ss
09-24-2011, 2:25 AM
Just keep checking. You should find something earlier.
As ccwtrainer mentioned, there's no reason to wait if you have a known clear criminal background. And I highly recommend his training course. You will cover a lot of ground in the classroom and working with Wes on the range is fun and informative. Thanks Wes!

Drivedabizness
09-24-2011, 8:16 PM
I just looked an August 2012 is the next appt. If you cancel, please let me know too!

This is crazy!

anoldguy
09-24-2011, 10:42 PM
As smfdff said above, the two appointments before him we no-shows. I have to believe the department is keeping track of these things. Might even go against applicants when their packet is sent to the review board and might show a lack of commitment. So many waiting and others just blowing the appointments off doesn't sit right with me. It would be interesting to know how many there are. Wondering if Amber could supply the stats.

briguy73
09-25-2011, 3:15 AM
I've seen/heard that a lot of the anti-2A's are booking appointments to slow down the process for those of us who are serious about our rights. Very unfortunate and I hope the SD is working in resolving this.

On a lighter note - for those with appointments far away, I highly recommend that you check daily. It worked for me. I had my original appointment scheduled for March 2012 and I found a cancellation last month! Long story short, I am having my final appointment this week!

smfdff
09-25-2011, 7:58 AM
As smfdff said above, the two appointments before him we no-shows. I have to believe the department is keeping track of these things. Might even go against applicants when their packet is sent to the review board and might show a lack of commitment. So many waiting and others just blowing the appointments off doesn't sit right with me. It would be interesting to know how many there are. Wondering if Amber could supply the stats.

They had packets with names on them so either they decided not to carry :confused: or just blew the appointment off completely :mad:

kozumasbullitt
09-25-2011, 8:01 AM
Got my denial letter today. I have 30 days from the date of the letter to appeal.

Why were you denied?

Kid Stanislaus
09-25-2011, 8:57 AM

It just might pay a guy to take a sack lunch and park himself down at the office and wait for a cancellation.;)

anoldguy
09-25-2011, 9:03 AM
It just might pay a guy to take a sack lunch and park himself down at the office and wait for a cancellation.;)

I already called Amber and asked that question. Obviously she said no way. She said they're already slammed as it is. But I thought it was a good idea too.

sirsloth
09-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Why were you denied?

Two misdemeanors on my record. Both have been expunged, which is the frustrating part.

epcii
09-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Two misdemeanors on my record. Both have been expunged, which is the frustrating part.

As an adult or a juvenile? Are they violent charges?

sirsloth
09-25-2011, 11:15 AM
As an adult or a juvenile? Are they violent charges?

All non violent and over 9 years old. I also had an arrest as a juvenile that came up during my interview. I didn't think to disclose it on my app, but during the interview it came up and I was open and honest about everything they wanted to know.

smfdff
09-25-2011, 2:08 PM

Plus like I mentioned they do a prelim background on you with the information you fill out when you schedule for the appointment. So when you check-in and give them your ID they pull a file that has your info in it.:eek:

ParanoidCivilian
09-25-2011, 3:10 PM
I had a April 2012 appointment, I was not satisfied with that so I literally checked more than ten times a day until I got a August 2011 interview. I am now sitting with my LTC.

Andy Taylor
09-26-2011, 8:50 AM
All non violent and over 9 years old. I also had an arrest as a juvenile that came up during my interview. I didn't think to disclose it on my app, but during the interview it came up and I was open and honest about everything they wanted to know.

File an appeal. From what I understand, most, if not all, non-prohibited persons who were intially denied, have been approved on appeal. There is a sticky:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=394414

snowdog650
09-28-2011, 7:46 AM
I just canceled an initial appointment in the SCSD system for Frebruary 9 at 0945, if anyone wants to snatch that up.

Still a long way off, but better than nothing.

ccwtrainer
09-28-2011, 10:13 PM
tip: have your instructor initial on your range qualification next to the serial number (indicating that he confirmed it)...

This is 100% correct. The Sacramento Sheriff's Department is beginning to send people away from their final appointment with one more task to accomplish prior to issuance of their CCW/LTC permit. They have implemented a new policy of requiring applicants to show proof that their instructor visually verified the serial numbers of the guns that they fired during their qualifications. Since Sac does not keep a list of instructors, they have no way of notifying all of them of this change so, most instructors are not even aware of this procedure/requirement yet.

Be sure that your instructor performs this visual check and writes his initials on the certificate next to the serial number of each gun. If you took a course and have not yet been to your final appointment, make arrangements with your instructor to have them check your guns and initial next to the serial numbers on the certificate that they issued you.

smfdff
10-04-2011, 1:01 PM
Has anyone tried the DOJ Live Scan automated system lately? I tried this morning and it just ranggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.

GOT A HOLD OF A LIVE PERSON AND SYSTEM WAS RESET AND IS NOW WORKING.

anoldguy
10-04-2011, 5:00 PM
Scored an initial appointment for tomorrow and am going to cancel one I've had for one week later (Oct 12th at 8:45). So start searching the Sac County Appointment website now. As soon as I get off of here I will be releasing it. I know I'm only moving up one week, but want to get it started ASAP and this may give someone that's been hoping for an earlier one an early Christmas present. And THX to whomever gave up the one for tomorrow.
M

htuong95
10-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Scored an initial appointment for tomorrow and am going to cancel one I've had for one week later (Oct 12th at 8:45). So start searching the Sac County Appointment website now. As soon as I get off of here I will be releasing it. I know I'm only moving up one week, but want to get it started ASAP and this may give someone that's been hoping for an earlier one an early Christmas present. And THX to whomever gave up the one for tomorrow.
M

I too scored an appointment for Oct 5th. My original appointment was not untill July 2012! Lets hope mine and yours are not for the same appointment.

htuong95
10-05-2011, 8:28 AM
I just got back from my interview. It went super smooth and easy. The commitee will meet next week to decide on my application.

JDR41
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I am wondering what the good cause needs to be if a law abiding citizen and resident of Sacramento County that wants to apply for C.C.W..

I have heard some people state that good cause can be as simple as "I want a C.C.W. for self defense of myself and my family". I have also read where you need written proof that your life has been threaten, or something similar to this.

Has anyone within the last month of this year been approved by using their good cause was for self defense.

Please advise

thanks

JDR41

Markinsac
10-05-2011, 6:54 PM
There is no need to show proof of any danger to yourself.

The phrase "I wish to apply for a CCW to protect my family and myself" is sufficient.

DULLYJAY
10-05-2011, 7:23 PM
That's about how I put it. Got my LTC about two weeks ago.

Andy Taylor
10-06-2011, 7:11 AM
I am wondering what the good cause needs to be if a law abiding citizen and resident of Sacramento County that wants to apply for C.C.W..

I have heard some people state that good cause can be as simple as "I want a C.C.W. for self defense of myself and my family". I have also read where you need written proof that your life has been threaten, or something similar to this.

Has anyone within the last month of this year been approved by using their good cause was for self defense.

Please advise

thanks

JDR41

See here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352779

Beginning about a year ago, SSD began accepting self defense as good cause. I believe the information you recieved that stated otherwise is outdated.

egDonald
10-06-2011, 7:29 AM
M

Aghhh why didn't I see this earlier :(

Sent from TapaAtrix

iceman09
10-06-2011, 6:09 PM
If someone could please help me with this i would really appreciate it. I have a few questions, i just booked my appointment to turn my application in, but there are a few things that I'm unclear about.

1. I have heard you need a cover letter for your application, but i have no idea what needs to be on it.
2. Do you need a separate letter stating why you want a CCW?
3. do you know id they prefer the application to be hand typed or written out by hand?

I have tried to find these questions on my own but, everything is always unclear and i hear different things everything website. I just want to make sure i get my application squared away before i go in so i don't look like a fool.

Thank you

harbinger007
10-06-2011, 7:56 PM
1. You don't need a cover letter.
2. You need a letter stating your good cause. A single sentence statement (as described above as a "self defense" cause) with your name, date, and signature will suffice.
3. Doesn't matter unless your writing is very bad. I typed mine using the online form because I find it easier than writing. Plus, I like to save electronic copies of my things for easy reference later.

smfdff
10-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Bye

RoarinRow
10-14-2011, 9:35 AM
This is 100% correct. The Sacramento Sheriff's Department is beginning to send people away from their final appointment with one more task to accomplish prior to issuance of their CCW/LTC permit. They have implemented a new policy of requiring applicants to show proof that their instructor visually verified the serial numbers of the guns that they fired during their qualifications. Since Sac does not keep a list of instructors, they have no way of notifying all of them of this change so, most instructors are not even aware of this procedure/requirement yet.

Be sure that your instructor performs this visual check and writes his initials on the certificate next to the serial number of each gun. If you took a course and have not yet been to your final appointment, make arrangements with your instructor to have them check your guns and initial next to the serial numbers on the certificate that they issued you.

Thanks for this information. I have my 16 hour CCW course this weekend, then my final appointment next Thursday.

Armed Citizen
10-22-2011, 7:49 AM

When I had my first appointment, there was a no show. I asked how often they had no shows so others could pick them up. They said firmly that they do not take walk ins.

On another note, from the time I made my first appointment in June to the time that I had my permit was less than three months because I completed the entire application, wrote the good cause letter, took my training from Wes (awesome class) and checked about every day for a cancellation. When I found a cancellation for the next day, I had all my paperwork done.

RoarinRow
10-24-2011, 9:50 AM
Just got my CCW permit. That was pretty darn fast. My final appointment was Thursday and I got it on Saturday. All I can say about the permit itself is that, can that make it any bigger? It won't fit in my wallet cause of the lament lol.

Thanks to this site for all the helpful information and tips!

Armed Citizen
10-24-2011, 6:18 PM
... It won't fit in my wallet ...

Congratulations!

I found a wallet that is as tall as the permit and twice as wide, so it fits. The wallet is a bit too tall for some of my pants so buttoning the pocket is a little challenging, but no big deal.

Sure is comforting to carry.

RoarinRow
10-24-2011, 8:02 PM
Congratulations!

I found a wallet that is as tall as the permit and twice as wide, so it fits. The wallet is a bit too tall for some of my pants so buttoning the pocket is a little challenging, but no big deal.

Sure is comforting to carry.

Thanks, I guess I'd be happy if it was 8x10 laminated lol. Just means I need to find a cool man bag.

rr23bar
10-24-2011, 8:58 PM
I think they are doing so many permits that the laminator is worn out. Mine separated in about a week.

Andy Taylor
10-25-2011, 7:33 AM
That is very possible. Personally I wish they would just give us the rice paper and let us fold, laminate etc as we see fit. That is what most IAs do. The paper only has to last two years.
Although it would be nice if the State would allow them to move into the later half of the 20th century and issue a credit card style LTC. I know some agencys are doing this, but they still have to issue the rice paper. The rice paper it is really the only legal LTC, so it seems pointless to me for the agencys that do so.

rr23bar
10-25-2011, 7:51 PM
Humboldt county issues theirs on normal printer paper with your picture on it. I got it earlier this year before moving to Sacramento.

Armed Citizen
10-26-2011, 5:09 AM
My Arizona non resident credit card style is cool. Fits in the wallet a lot easier, looks for official and has the cool "shield" logo of the Department of Public Safety. I like the credit card style of some states that have a photo.

Andy Taylor
10-26-2011, 6:41 AM
I have UT, OR, and AZ in addition to CA. The UT is the nicest one, but AZ and OR are both much nicer than CA.

Armed Citizen
10-26-2011, 7:56 AM
Do AZ or UT have photo?

Bad Kitty
10-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Seriously, I was hitting "refresh" and I just watched two weeks of appointments vanish...amazing...

Folks, if you plan not to show, please cancel you appointment!

Andy Taylor
10-26-2011, 1:57 PM
Do AZ or UT have photo?

UT does AZ does not.
When I sent my paperwork in for UT I had to include a passport photo. I also had to send in a current one when I renewed it a last month.

Armed Citizen
10-26-2011, 8:23 PM
Da! I know AZ doesn't have a photo. I have one in my pocket. I meant to type OR.

I think I am going to apply for OR (that is if I can remember the name of the state) and either WA or UT. It looks like WA will recognize a UT non-resident permit. I've been in Utah twice this year and hope to get to Oregon two or three times next year. Someone asked me yesterday to come to OR. I'll ask in another thread about Jackson county. Don't go to Washington all that often - not this year and only once last year.

jb7706
10-26-2011, 8:35 PM
I think they are doing so many permits that the laminator is worn out. Mine separated in about a week.

I changed some guns around and had to run it through the laminator at work when I got it. It was barely sealed.

BTW, proof read your permit when you get it, I had more than one error on my previous permit that required a third trip to the SO to get it mostly right. They still goofed one thing up but it is not a problem per the PC so not worth yet another trip to fix it.

Andy Taylor
10-27-2011, 6:03 AM
Da! I know AZ doesn't have a photo. I have one in my pocket. I meant to type OR.

I think I am going to apply for OR (that is if I can remember the name of the state) and either WA or UT. It looks like WA will recognize a UT non-resident permit. I've been in Utah twice this year and hope to get to Oregon two or three times next year. Someone asked me yesterday to come to OR. I'll ask in another thread about Jackson county. Don't go to Washington all that often - not this year and only once last year.

Yes OR has a photo. Remember that while OR is shall issue for residents, they are may issue for non-residents, and non-residents must be a resident of WA, ID, NV, or CA. Don't waste time applying in countys that might be less than friendly about issueing to non-residents. Sheriff Palmer of Grant County is virtual shall issue to non-residents who meet the criteria. I know there is at least one other county that is also virtual shall issue, but don't recall which one it is.

camss69
10-27-2011, 3:32 PM
What is the official word on modifying it to better fit in the wallet, can we cut off the excess laminate material? I really hate to get a bigger wallet. Anyone else have any other solution that has been approved?

Andy Taylor
10-29-2011, 7:30 AM
What is the official word on modifying it to better fit in the wallet, can we cut off the excess laminate material? I really hate to get a bigger wallet. Anyone else have any other solution that has been approved?

Yes you can, but it will also make it more likely that the laminate will seperate.

WDN41
10-29-2011, 8:22 AM

I trimmed my Sacramento LTC down, trying to get it small enough to
fit into a credit card slot. No go. Stashed it in the larger section with
the few dollars I still own. Works fine, as I rarely have a need to pull
it out.

my70mav
11-04-2011, 6:52 PM
Just set my appointment for May 23rd 2012. It would not let me change the staff from sheriff detective, will that be any problem?

anoldguy
11-04-2011, 8:39 PM
That's because that is exactly who you will be interviewing with. A detective. Actually, I interviewed with two different detectives.

egDonald
11-04-2011, 11:23 PM
is it me or is this initial interview process seem unnecessary? I, myself, have not yet gone into the interview yet (sched'd for july 2012), but from the sounds of everyone's experience, you pretty much just walk in, sit down, the detective asks "why?", you say "self-defense", hand them the paper-work, hand them a check, and off you go.

I mean.... can't we ("we" meaning the Sac. County politicians/government) NOT use this to "waste" a detective's time with such mundane work and somehow automate this? Or is a face-to-face meeting really going to make a difference?

... and yes, this is stemming from the fact that I will have to wait just a little under 1year to get my interview. I scheduled my July2012 appointment in August 2011.

3jason9
11-04-2011, 11:33 PM
were do u set the appointment at in sacramento

Markinsac
11-05-2011, 12:56 AM
is it me or is this initial interview process seem unnecessary? I, myself, have not yet gone into the interview yet (sched'd for july 2012), but from the sounds of everyone's experience, you pretty much just walk in, sit down, the detective asks "why?", you say "self-defense", hand them the paper-work, hand them a check, and off you go.

I mean.... can't we ("we" meaning the Sac. County politicians/government) NOT use this to "waste" a detective's time with such mundane work and somehow automate this? Or is a face-to-face meeting really going to make a difference?

... and yes, this is stemming from the fact that I will have to wait just a little under 1year to get my interview. I scheduled my July2012 appointment in August 2011.
In the initial interview, they will have run some reports on you to verify that you're eligible. The face-to-face is a way of checking out a person, just like a person likes to check out a business. You won't just be handing in the paperwork. They will also ask some questions about safety and storage to make sure you're following the laws - believe it or not, several people have shown up at the facility for permit modifications while in possession of a weapon!! (A BIG no-no)

The problem with the long wait time is on two fronts - there is a lot of interest, and there has been some suggestions that some anti's have been clogging the system up with bogus appointments and not showing up.

Just take the defaults - they only make these appointments at the main facility downtown.

Norcal Industries
11-05-2011, 1:03 AM

http://www.sacsheriff.com/organization/office_of_the_sheriff/ccw.cfm

egDonald
11-05-2011, 1:26 AM
.... some anti's have been clogging the system up with bogus appointments and not showing up...

Oh wow... way to waste government resources :-(

Sent from TapaAtrix

anoldguy
11-05-2011, 6:22 AM
I noticed yesterday that about 45 or 50 appointments opened up between March and September at various hours. Is is possible that Amber's office was able to find bogus appointments reserved and were able to make them available to actual people and not 'anti CCW' types? Good news for the folks that were forced out until next Fall.

RoarinRow
11-05-2011, 7:57 AM

I ended up buying a new bigger wallet lol. I didn't want to have to carry two wallets. Knowing me I'd forget the second wallet, then Murphy's Law would kick in. Sorry officer, I forgot my second wallet at home. :facepalm:

shel3702
11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Can we use a color copier to reduce the size of the original and then laminate the smaller version (keeping the original in a safe place)? Are there published restrictions on what can and cannot be done to the x-large CA permit?

What about folding it over and laminating that?

anoldguy
11-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I believe that's a question that should be asked of Amber Wong at 874-5371 rather than possible speculation by members of Calguns.

shel3702
11-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Thank you; I thought that there might be some official Sac County Sheriff document/text that I missed.

shel3702
11-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I just spoke with Amber Wong and she stated that no, one cannot alter it, photocopy/reduce it in any way; we must carry the exact copy we receive.

anoldguy
11-10-2011, 11:14 AM
THX for the comeback.
M

Drivedabizness
11-15-2011, 5:55 PM
I can't believe this insane delay is due to anti's making bogus appointments. I got a complete non sequitur response to a very polite inquiry to the Sheriff with the following question:

IF good cause = self defense and good moral character = non prohibited
AND there are numerous automated tools available (CIC, DOJ, National Instant Check system, etc.) that would allow his staff to ascertain same in a relatively few minutes per case (plus the time to review the application itself)
THEN why is the backlog virtually a year?
The only possible answer is he has designed the system to work that way. CGF must have their reasons for not asking for a more expedited process but don't try to tell me that there is any good reason for the backlog.
I'd love to see how many licenses are actually being issued every week. I mean, he supposedly has a bunch of retired Deputy's in there working applications. Again - why - how much work can it take? He ought to easily be issuing hundreds per month.
What am I missing?
BTW - I check back fairly often and still am slated for next July.

anoldguy
11-15-2011, 9:04 PM
I understand there are more automated methods of investigation, and that things might be sped up somewhat, but for whatever reason Sheriff Jones chooses to run his shop the way he does, remember that until he came into office there were only a couple hundred permits offered per year. The Sacramento Bee recently ran an article about the number of CCW permits being issued in Sacramento County and El Dorado. If memory serves, El Dorado was issuing about 98% of applicants, and Sacramento was running about the same. Given that Sacramento has openings for about 19 initial appointments on Wednesdays and Thursdays, that works out to 38 per week, which works out to 1976 per year (167.67 per month). If 98% are being approved, it works out to 161 CCWs per month. You may not be happy with the numbers, but I for one am delighted. Until Sheriff Jones came into office we were nearly as hopeless as San Joaquin County where you had to be a banker or business person, etc. And don't blame CGF. Remember that Sheriff Jones=his ball, his rules.
M

anoldguy
11-15-2011, 9:09 PM
And one more thing, the Sheriff's Dept sends out reminders on Tuesday for the Wednesday appointments, and Wednesday for the Thursday appointments. Many people either decide they aren't prepared/ready for the interview or have a change in plans, so they cancel. Watch for openings on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons for slots opening up. I scored earlier appointments three times and moved from July 18th 2012 all the way up to October 5th.
M

Drivedabizness
11-15-2011, 9:41 PM
Thanks for the hint on when to look for cancellations.

But you miss the point. This guy works for us. Instead of telling me/us how grateful we should be (you really call this performance?) try addressing my issue. If you do, I'll shut up and wait patiently.

The reason for the original lawsuit was abuse of discretion. Jones (and his predecessor McGuiness) agreed to stick with what constitutes shall issue - even ran on it. This aint shall issue. This is "act like shall issue while backing things up as far as possible".

If Sheriff Jones still thinks he gets to make rules CGF settled for nothing.

Thanks again for the hint.

Exdc
11-19-2011, 4:02 PM
I'm really curious as to whether I can/should set an appointment now, seeing as I will have to wait until next fall anyway... I turn 21 on the second of October, 2012. Would there be any way to set an appointment for some time shortly after I turn 21 (giving me time to acquire a pistol) in order to minimize wait time?

Markinsac
11-19-2011, 4:38 PM
I'm really curious as to whether I can/should set an appointment now, seeing as I will have to wait until next fall anyway... I turn 21 on the second of October, 2012. Would there be any way to set an appointment for some time shortly after I turn 21 (giving me time to acquire a pistol) in order to minimize wait time?

As far as I know, the basic qualification is that you be 21 as of the time of the appointment. If you have someone in your family over 21 who were to buy a gun now, you can legally shoot it and get practice so that you are ready when the day arrives.

Exdc
11-19-2011, 10:16 PM
So essentially yes, as long as the appointment was set to a day after I would turn 21 then I could make the appointment now? I'd definitely like to practice in the mean time, but that was not part of the question. I'm trying to avoid a year long wait-list full of people who don't show up.

Andy Taylor
11-20-2011, 6:44 AM
So essentially yes, as long as the appointment was set to a day after I would turn 21 then I could make the appointment now? I'd definitely like to practice in the mean time, but that was not part of the question. I'm trying to avoid a year long wait-list full of people who don't show up.

The appt. could even be on your 21st birthday. Your parent, not just any family member, could get you a handgun now. In any event, You do not need to furnish serial numbers until the second appt. And of course your qualification would need to be done with the gun(s) you list on the permit.
So, on your Bday: First appt, and purchase pistol (if parent didn't get you one prior.) 10 Days later Pick up pistol for FFL. Then take the class/qual. You should be able to get that all done before the second appt.

christine6
11-20-2011, 6:50 PM
I was wondering if someone could help me out with questions about the CCW app. I was using the example on the forum to complete my app. and came across a couple i was not sure about.

On page 11 section 7
It's listed as the investigator's interveiw notes but the example has it completed So i was not sure if i complete it or not. Seems odd that the applicant would not complete the parts that ask for the spouse,employment,DL#, social security #,previouse home address's and such.

On page 5 section 2
question 10. The example lists out a legal answer of,
This question is deceptive. It purports to be limiting, but in fact it is virtually boundless when analyzed. Given this question's vagueness and that the entiretyof this application is subject to public disclosure under the California Public Records Act (California Government Code section 6250, et seq.) and the
California Supreme Court’s decision in CBS v. Block (42 Cal.3d 646, 725 P.2d 470, 230 Cal.Rptr. 362), I respectfully decline to provide any additional
information in response to this question and instead choose to exercise my right to remain silent (guaranteed to me by Amendment 5 to the United StatesConstitution) and my right to privacy (guaranteed to me by Article 1, Section 1 of the California Constitution).**

and i was not sure if that was an acceptable answer although i agree with the answer but was not sure if anyone had been frowned upon or denied because of that answer.

The other thing that i'm not certain about is an arrest that i had back on
7-19-98, i was arrested and charged under D.V. Ultimatley the D.A declined to prosecute. I recently pulled my court records and my file had one peice of paper in it stating " This office declines prosecution on the case listed below for the reason shown....."in the interest of justice"
My DOJ record is the same just stating the arrest date.
no other arrests since that date.
Would this be enough to denie my LTC request?

BTW, The police felt that a food fight with a dozen eggs and yelling was justification for charging D.V, obviously the D.A saw differently..thankfully.

Anyway i know several of you have completed this app. with a possitive end result and am hoping i can get some clarification.

If i've posted this in the wrong section i apologize, if you can direct me to where i can get some information i would appreciate it.

Thank you
Chris

Andy Taylor
11-21-2011, 6:36 AM
First IANAL
The questions under interviewers notes, you will fill them out with the detective when he/she conducts your interview. That is how it is set up.

As to your arrest, be as honest as possible about it. Since the DA did not prosecute, all they are really interested in is honesty. If you try and hide it, you will be denyed for dishonesty. If you are denyed for it, file an appeal. Many people who have been denyed for such things have won the appeal.

I'll let someone else handle the question about page 5.

christine6
11-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Thank you for reply.
I have no intention of being dishonest with anything, i intend to answer everything on the application and the interveiwer questions completely.

I have copies of my court paperwork showing the D.A declined and it being dismissed along with my DOJ livescan record and my one an only vehicle accident CHP report. Can anyone tell me where i should attach these copies or should i just bring them in to the interveiw and offer them to the detective when the question is asked?

on page 5 section 2.
#8 - I indicated the date of vehicle accident and report attached. Is this correct?

#10- I know there is a legal answer on the example app. but i feel for my case i'm not leaving any infromation out so my answer would be marked...no.
Am i opening myself up for anthing, anyone have suggestions and or comments about this?

I've heard that an appeal can be rather expensive,
Is there anyone on the forum that can reveiw my app. prior to turning it in to ensure i have it all correct?

Thank you
Chris

holiday
11-23-2011, 12:18 PM
sorry if this has already been posted, but i just pulled this off the Sac County Sheriff's website:

http://www.sacsheriff.com/images/new2.gif As of January 1, 2012, all CCW applicants’ range training and qualification courses must be completed by an instructor certified by:

1. The California Department of Justice or
2. The California Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services or
3. The Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training

i just completed my training and have an appointment before the start date of this qualification...could make a difference if your instructor does not fall under those qualifications.

Andy Taylor
11-26-2011, 4:32 PM
Thanks for the info Holiday.

pyromensch
11-26-2011, 8:04 PM
these permits are a step above the one i had in 95-97. (chief byrd, isleton police chief issue), it was just the paper, no lamination. i still have the remnants around, and took them to my first interview. the first interviewer said, "oh, you're one of those?" i said yup.

CSDGuy
11-26-2011, 8:18 PM
sorry if this has already been posted, but i just pulled this off the Sac County Sheriff's website:

http://www.sacsheriff.com/images/new2.gif As of January 1, 2012, all CCW applicants’ range training and qualification courses must be completed by an instructor certified by:

2. The California Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services or

i just completed my training and have an appointment before the start date of this qualification...could make a difference if your instructor does not fall under those qualifications.
You might be surprised to learn just what's involved in becoming an instructor certified by the DOJ...

Andy Taylor
11-27-2011, 6:34 PM
these permits are a step above the one i had in 95-97. (chief byrd, isleton police chief issue), it was just the paper, no lamination. i still have the remnants around, and took them to my first interview. the first interviewer said, "oh, you're one of those?" i said yup.

I also had one of Chief Byrd's LTCs. I would say the Sac County permit is a step down. With Byrd's permit, I could laminate it myself if I chose to. I wasn't stuck with something to big to fit in my wallet. Chief Byrd also saw no reason to limit a person to three guns. I had four on mine, and knew peple who had several more than that. Think the most I saw was ten. I also only had to qualify with one gun, not all that were listed.

harbinger007
11-28-2011, 6:50 PM
My license was issued 12/3 last year. I have not received any notice from the SSD about having to send in my requalifications with my listed weapons. I recall correctly, Wes (ccwtrainer) said something a few months ago about qualifications being valid for 12 months. I took another CCW class in January of this year (with another instructor just to get some additional training) so maybe I can just send in. I'd appreciate some input from anybody that has spoken to Amber about this recently. Thanks.

Edit: So as to not mislead others, I did NOT remember Wes's comments correctly. I think this post is what I had been thinking about http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7179864#post7179864 I still would like to know how recent my qualification needs to be.

Me1
11-28-2011, 7:15 PM
My license was issued 12/3 last year. I have not received any notice from the SSD about having to send in my requalifications with my listed weapons. I recall correctly, Wes (ccwtrainer) said something a few months ago about qualifications being valid for 12 months. I took another CCW class in January of this year (with another instructor just to get some additional training) so maybe I can just send in. I'd appreciate some input from anybody that has spoken to Amber about this recently. Thanks.

You do not have to qualify every year any more. from the Sac Sheriff's site.

Range Qualifications - You must qualify biannually (every two years) or upon renewal of your permit with the weapons(s)/type(s) listed on your permit. If you want to add or remove weapons from your permit, a qualification is required on all the weapons you want on the permit and you will need to schedule a "Concealed Weapons Permit Modification" appointment via our online appointment system. [Online Appointment System]*

harbinger007
11-28-2011, 7:38 PM
You do not have to qualify every year any more. from the Sac Sheriff's site.

Range Qualifications - You must qualify biannually (every two years) or upon renewal of your permit with the weapons(s)/type(s) listed on your permit. If you want to add or remove weapons from your permit, a qualification is required on all the weapons you want on the permit and you will need to schedule a "Concealed Weapons Permit Modification" appointment via our online appointment system. [Online Appointment System]*

Thanks. I should have looked at their site but had looked at the wiki instead which needs to be corrected. http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/122-sacramento

ccwtrainer
11-30-2011, 7:42 PM

Ever since the Sacramento Sheriff's Department posted these requirements on their website, I have been getting quite a few calls wondering if I'm certified under any of these categories. I absolutely am. Sheriff McGinness and Undersheriff Isawa required that I was certified under at least one of these categories back in July of 2010 when I first started teaching CCW courses for Sacramento County. It's really not a new requirement. They are just finally posting it on their website.

Like CSDGuy said, it's not difficult to become any one of these types of instructors. Putting together a quality curriculium and delivering it in a SAFE and fun environment is another story.

Feel free to contact me at (209) 401-0907 if you have any questions regarding the process or the required training. I'm here to help.

Sincerely,

Wes

ccwtrainer
11-30-2011, 8:10 PM
I have UT, OR, and AZ in addition to CA. The UT is the nicest one, but AZ and OR are both much nicer than CA.

That's a perfect combination of permits!

holiday
12-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Ever since the Sacramento Sheriff's Department posted these requirements on their website, I have been getting quite a few calls wondering if I'm certified under any of these categories. I absolutely am. Sheriff McGinness and Undersheriff Isawa required that I was certified under at least one of these categories back in July of 2010 when I first started teaching CCW courses for Sacramento County. It's really not a new requirement. They are just finally posting it on their website.

Like CSDGuy said, it's not difficult to become any one of these types of instructors. Putting together a quality curriculium and delivering it in a SAFE and fun environment is another story.

Feel free to contact me at (209) 401-0907 if you have any questions regarding the process or the required training. I'm here to help.

Sincerely,

Wes

thats great news wes. i took my training with you a short time ago, and just received my ccw for CA. :) i am working towards my OR ccw now so i am sure i will see you again sooner if not later ;)

thanks for the update too btw...good to know

sirsloth
12-02-2011, 2:39 PM
Finally got a response to my appeal today. DENIED! It's pretty BS that something non-violent from almost 10 years ago which has been expunged from my record can still be held against me. I, unfortunately, didn't have the $1000 to spend on a proper appeal, so I did the best that I could on my own. It obviously wasn't enough. Oh well at least I tried.

Sam
12-03-2011, 4:27 AM
Well, seems like the Sheriff cashed my check yesterday. Time for an approval letter in the mail!

BrokerB
12-07-2011, 9:08 PM
First appt was 11-17-11
Received OK letter did live scan same day 12-2-11
Rancho Cordova lady doing prints had Savage Nation playing on radio, she was very nice and said shes been doing a lot of ccw live scans

I did a scan 5 years ago for my R.E. Brokers license - cleared with ease- Guess all the girls were over 18: )

I need to take my class...weekday class around Sacramento area would be ideal

MisterPo
12-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey all,

I just wanted to share my timeline. It took me a month and a day from the first appointment to receiving my permit.

11/3 - Initial Appointment
11/14 - Approval Letter Received
11/15 - Livescan Completed
11/19 - CCW Course with Wesley Lagomarsino
11/20 - CCW Course with Wesley Lagomarsino
11/30 - Livescan Results Received
12/6 - Final Appointment
12/9 - CCW Permit Received via certified mail

Drivedabizness
12-14-2011, 8:06 PM
How long ago did you book your initial appointment?

Donn32
12-17-2011, 2:14 AM
Made my appointment today. December 2012 is the earliest date.

hiperfind
12-20-2011, 2:18 PM
I was July 12, 2012, JUST got one for this Thursday. Looks like people are heading out of town.

harbinger007
12-20-2011, 3:06 PM
Early Christmas for you! :D

johnjohn301
12-21-2011, 9:29 PM
My original appointment was for Nov. 8, 2012 - checked in this evening and picked up an appointment for tomorrow (Dec 22, 2011) morning. It's worth keeping an eye on the calendar.

derek@thepackingrat.net
12-22-2011, 7:35 AM
I went in this morning to update my info. Overheard a gentleman's assigned appointment for a new LTC on the system was not honored as a result of a "bug" in the computer system.

He had this appt several months prior! (Now I'm certain if that's really the case). The LTC officer was only able to suggest to call in to verify appointment time on their own system.

Not acceptable... as hard as they're trying, they really need to awknowledge the time we take off to accommodate this uneccessary process.

wilson_wwsc
12-25-2011, 5:19 PM
Where can I go to get qualified for a new firearm to put on my ccw? I am in Elk Grove. Also, why can't I see any open appointment dates for the Sac County Sheriffs appointment system?

thebronze
12-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Where can I go to get qualified for a new firearm to put on my ccw? I am in Elk Grove. Also, why can't I see any open appointment dates for the Sac County Sheriffs appointment system?

Because there aren't any open dates until Dec of 2012.

anoldguy
12-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Up until about a week ago or so, there were dozens of appointments for MODS, etc. every Tuesday and Thursday. Something is screwed up in their scheduling system. I recommend calling Amber Wong at (916) 874-5371 to see what's wrong.
M

FlyboyJS
12-26-2011, 9:48 AM
I went in last week to make a mod and once I got my updated permit in the mail I noticed that a digit was missing on the serial number on a firearm that I didn't even modify. It was a firearm that was there on my previous permits. So in order to modify to fix I'm sure I'll have to make another appt, pay the fee to modify a typo mistake on their part. Also take time off of work to do it. I'm wondering since they do not take the previous permits away and all info on the previous permit is valid could I just carry the updated permit for the firearm that I added and carry the previous permit for the firearm that had the typo serial number?

harbinger007
12-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Sure, but you could also just email Amber and tell her about the typo. They should be able to just send you a corrected permit since they have all of the information in your file.

Gray Peterson
12-26-2011, 3:54 PM
I went in this morning to update my info. Overheard a gentleman's assigned appointment for a new LTC on the system was not honored as a result of a "bug" in the computer system.

He had this appt several months prior! (Now I'm certain if that's really the case). The LTC officer was only able to suggest to call in to verify appointment time on their own system.

Not acceptable... as hard as they're trying, they really need to awknowledge the time we take off to accommodate this uneccessary process.

All,

Next time you hear something similar to this, please get the person's attention and tell them to get a hold of CGF immediately. Someone being denied their rights is EVERYONE's business.

FlyboyJS
12-26-2011, 6:35 PM
Sure, but you could also just email Amber and tell her about the typo. They should be able to just send you a corrected permit since they have all of the information in your file.

Yeah I'll send Amber an email and see what they can do for me. Probably still have to go in to fingerprint though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Markinsac
12-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Yeah I'll send Amber an email and see what they can do for me. Probably still have to go in to fingerprint though. Thanks for the suggestion.

You'll probably end up with an appointment - you have to put your thumbprint on the permit and copy when they type it up. If there is a problem with the appointment system, Amber might be able to assist.

inzependent
12-27-2011, 2:40 PM
I had my first interview on 12/14. Went smoothly as expected. Everyone at the Sac Sheriff's SI/IB Office was professional and courteous and did not experience any difficulties or roadblocks thus far.

Happy to announce that today I received my approval letter to move forward with the LiveScan and Training. I know, it's only half the battle but just happy I've gotten this far in the process.

I've read a few CG threads on where and where NOT to go for training. Does anyone have any experience with these two training facilities:
http://casecuritytraining.com/faculty/
http://www.advancedsecurityinstitute.com/
They both seem on the up and up and reasonably priced but would be great to get feedback from first hand experience. Thanks!

Markinsac
12-28-2011, 12:06 AM
I've read a few CG threads on where and where NOT to go for training. Does anyone have any experience with these two training facilities:
http://casecuritytraining.com/faculty/
http://www.advancedsecurityinstitute.com/
They both seem on the up and up and reasonably priced but would be great to get feedback from first hand experience. Thanks!

CASecurityTraining = California Security Training Academy - good people. I've done several training classes with them.

I have no direct experience with the other, but have heard they like to hold on to your paperwork for you - forces you to come back to them for any recurrent training.

77bawls
12-28-2011, 12:10 AM

The same thing happened to me they put a 5 instead of an S. I had to go down there, they didn't charge anything since it was their fault, and they laminated it up while I waited.

FlyboyJS
12-28-2011, 11:09 AM
The same thing happened to me they put a 5 instead of an S. I had to go down there, they didn't charge anything since it was their fault, and they laminated it up while I waited.

Excellent. I'll email her today. Been busy last couple days.

Deadon
01-03-2012, 4:44 PM
Just a quick question. I printed my app. and I went to set a appointment and it shows nothing until 2013 is this right?

Me1
01-03-2012, 4:52 PM
Just a quick question. I printed my app. and I went to set a appointment and it shows nothing until 2013 is this right?

YES, but keep checking for cancellations.

Deadon
01-03-2012, 5:01 PM
Never mind it shows there are NO appointments,lol I went all the way up to 2020 hahaha

Markinsac
01-03-2012, 8:25 PM
Never mind it shows there are NO appointments,lol I went all the way up to 2020 hahaha

The system only allows booking for 12 months in advance - anything beyond that will show as not being available.

Deadon
01-04-2012, 8:49 AM
Suggestions anyone? How do I get a appointment within this year? Do I just call Amber?

Markinsac
01-04-2012, 9:22 AM
Suggestions anyone? How do I get a appointment within this year? Do I just call Amber?

Check the system whenever you can to see if an appointment opens up. Calling Amber will just slow things down for everyone else. The appointment system is there for a reason. The system isn't perfect, but it is better than what we had a few years ago.

Andy Taylor
01-04-2012, 1:38 PM
I heard a rumor that Galt PD is going to start issueing. I know Galt is small, but it may lighten the load on the Sheriff slightly. If true that is.

762cavalier
01-04-2012, 1:49 PM
I heard a rumor that Galt PD is going to start issueing. I know Galt is small, but it may lighten the load on the Sheriff slightly. If true that is.

I have heard the same rumor, but at this point it is still just that, a rumor.;)

MTG Firearms
01-05-2012, 8:13 AM

I was told by a very reliable source that this is true. They are issuing starting the first of this year.

itzameeh
01-08-2012, 12:11 AM

Glad I wasn't the only one that did that. I actually checked all the way to 2023 before I gave up. I've only been checking since last week and couldn't find anything. So what I would recommend is continue checking as frequently as possible cause yesterday afternoon I was able to actually schedule an interview for August 1.

CalCop
01-12-2012, 6:49 PM
My wife is trying to get a permit. Not a single appointment in 2012. Here is Amber's response to my wife's email about no appointments:

"Good Morning. We are completely booked thru December of this year and are not scheduling out appointments into 2013. Please keep checking the website. As soon as someone cancels an appointment it shows as an opening. Grab one as you see it.
~Amber"

This is not acceptable....what can we do.

Edisla
01-12-2012, 7:08 PM
My wife is trying to get a permit. Not a single appointment in 2012. Here is Amber's response to my wife's email about no appointments:

"Good Morning. We are completely booked thru December of this year and are not scheduling out appointments into 2013. Please keep checking the website. As soon as someone cancels an appointment it shows as an opening. Grab one as you see it.
~Amber"

This is not acceptable....what can we do.

What is not "acceptable" about it? They are booked. Keep checking the calendar for a drop and then grab it.

I was suppose to go 9months ago and I had to cancel. Just got in today. So far so good :)

egDonald
01-13-2012, 7:42 AM
hmm... maybe they placed 2013 on hold due to the alleged End-of-World in Dec 2012? hahaha!

Seriously - maybe they're anticipating some sort of policy or procedure change?

Markinsac
01-13-2012, 10:12 AM
hmm... maybe they placed 2013 on hold due to the alleged End-of-World in Dec 2012? hahaha!

Seriously - maybe they're anticipating some sort of policy or procedure change?

No, they only go out about 12 months at a time for the scheduling. I expect that they will open January 2013 for appointments in the near future.

Remember, this section operates as a secondary function. They have a few reserve deputies working here, but there is still a cost. In addition, there are a number of hours expended on each application, so there is a limit to how many can be done based on their staffing.

Best option - check the calendar frequently - if you find an opening, take it, then keep watching for one closer in time. If you do get a newer appointment, remember to release the old one.

SouperMan
01-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know what time a appointment would be released? (IE When a person cancels, it immediately becomes available or it pools all cancellations and releases all of them at 12:01AM the next day the calendar refreshes?)

I envy those of y'all of got in for 2012!

anoldguy
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
It happens right away. So you need to be looking right after it is released.

Moonshine
01-17-2012, 7:55 PM
I read that there are "urban, suburban, and rural parts of Sacramento County and what may constitute good cause in one area may not in another" on the Sac Sheriff website. I live in a house I own in a suburban area (fortunately over 1,000 yards from a school whew!). Has anyone in the suburbs had any luck with approval and if so what examples of "good cause" are typical in these areas?

762cavalier
01-17-2012, 8:30 PM
I live in the south sac area and used self defense as my good cause. As far as I know the sheriff can't deny because of where someone lives unless it is outside his county.

Moonshine
01-17-2012, 8:37 PM
I live in the south sac area and used self defense as my good cause. As far as I know the sheriff can't deny because of where someone lives unless it is outside his county.

So basically just download the packet, fill out, attach recent crime reports as part of the good cause (my neighbor 2 doors down was robbed by a group of 5 armed men with guns while taking out his garbage among other events) and then cross fingers and hope to schedule an interview before the end of the world?

Markinsac
01-17-2012, 9:03 PM
So basically just download the packet, fill out, attach recent crime reports as part of the good cause (my neighbor 2 doors down was robbed by a group of 5 armed men with guns while taking out his garbage among other events) and then cross fingers and hope to schedule an interview before the end of the world?

TMI - forget adding the crime reports. All you need is to say that you wish to protect your family and yourself both in and out of your home. Extra stuff just muddies the waters.

egDonald
01-17-2012, 11:08 PM
... (fortunately over 1,000 yards from a school whew!)...
wait... what?
you can't apply for CCW if you live within 1000yd of a school?!?!?! :eek:

762cavalier
01-18-2012, 6:40 AM
TMI - forget adding the crime reports. All you need is to say that you wish to protect your family and yourself both in and out of your home. Extra stuff just muddies the waters.

^^^^THIS^^^^

wait... what?

^^^NOT THIS^^^

Andy Taylor
01-18-2012, 7:30 AM
I read that there are "urban, suburban, and rural parts of Sacramento County and what may constitute good cause in one area may not in another" on the Sac Sheriff website. I live in a house I own in a suburban area (fortunately over 1,000 yards from a school whew!). Has anyone in the suburbs had any luck with approval and if so what examples of "good cause" are typical in these areas?

Where you live in the county does not matter. It may have at one time. Over a year ago SSD went "virtual shall issue". Your good cause statement should be "I wish to carry a firearm to protect myself and my family." That is all. No more, no less. (family part optional depending on your situation.)

Moonshine
01-18-2012, 3:16 PM
Can I use my iPhone while I'm at work to check frequently or does it only work with a PC? I'd be bummed if I got an appointment on iPhone only to have it give me some error message :(!

rr23bar
01-18-2012, 3:19 PM
Can I use my iPhone while I'm at work to check frequently or does it only work with a PC? I'd be bummed if I got an appointment on iPhone only to have it give me some error message :(!

I was able to do all mine on my DROID so you should be fine

Moonshine
01-18-2012, 4:43 PM
Awesome, now I'll have something new to do on my iPhone now that I'm tired Of angry birds :)!

Deadon
01-18-2012, 7:00 PM
I may have a opening in August. Looks like one opened up tomorrow. Now I just have to do my paperwork that I was putting off,lol I guess checking 15 times a day works,lol

jb7706
01-19-2012, 8:01 PM

The whole where you live thing is from an old policy. It is not in effect anymore. As long as you live in the county, have no disqualifying legal history and jump through the training hoops all you need to do is use self defense and you will get your license.

wait... what?

Proximity to a school is irrelevant.

NorCalCCWinstructor
01-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Just a word of caution. I hear that very recently some of my students have found openings just within a day or two, (after checking the site often) and the S.O. has called them to cancel their appointment. In my opinion, they (S.O.) may have not had the time to run the thorough electronic background check, prior to the interview. Don't forget to cancel your old appointment, but if your "new" appointment is less than a week or so away, you may want to wait to cancel, just as soon as you get out of your interview. But, please do not forget to cancel your old one.

Sam
01-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Deleted.

egDonald
01-25-2012, 3:15 PM
I was able to get a appt for today. I have my original date for Jun2012 at 2pm.... if anyone wants it PM me. First PM gets it.

@@ already gone @@

Sent from TapaAtrix

Potz
01-31-2012, 4:22 AM
I live in elk grove. Where are some places I can get the 16 hours of traing needed for CCW?

WDN41
01-31-2012, 7:35 AM
There is CSTA on Freeport across from the Exec airport, And another
on Fruitridge 1 or 2 doors down from River City Gun Exchange.Sorry,
can't remember the name. Both charge around $100, and will fullfil
the training requirement.

Markinsac
01-31-2012, 8:06 AM

Both of these are BSIS-certified schools. I'd highly recommend CSTA - professional without a lot of ego.

turboeg2
01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Dang it.. i been trying to get an appointment to turn in my app for weeks.. and still no Appointment available...anyone else got any luck?

Markinsac
01-31-2012, 3:30 PM
Dang it.. i been trying to get an appointment to turn in my app for weeks.. and still no Appointment available...anyone else got any luck?

As people have said before, check, and check often, to see if appointments have opened up. Other than that, nothing else to recommend.

Gray Peterson
01-31-2012, 4:14 PM

You have to check literally every 10 minutes for one on Tuesday and Wednesday

Andy Taylor
02-01-2012, 9:07 AM

The one on Fruitridge is Universal Security Academy.

Moonshine
02-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Omg te January 2013 appointments went so fast when I clicked on one it was already gone and when I refreshed the rest were gone! Should I be taking days off work to sit on the computer when march 1 rolls around and if so what other days would be good?

Markinsac
02-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Omg te January 2013 appointments went so fast when I clicked on one it was already gone and when I refreshed the rest were gone! Should I be taking days off work to sit on the computer when march 1 rolls around and if so what other days would be good?

There appears to be bug right now - there are three days in December that are green, but for which there are no appointments available.

The web site does say that they have not opened appointments for 2013 yet, so it might have been work behind the scenes to prepare for opening the month.

As said before, check the site frequently for openings.

DZMoney
02-01-2012, 11:43 PM
I picked up a quick appointment for tomorrow. I have yet to write the statement but I guess I will in the morning. I realize it is a simple "I wish to be able to carry a gun to defend myself and family" Is this supposed to be a separate statement on semi-official printed paper? its seems so. what format have have most you done for the this statement letter?

thanks much

dz

hoffmang
02-01-2012, 11:55 PM
I picked up a quick appointment for tomorrow. I have yet to write the statement but I guess I will in the morning. I realize it is a simple "I wish to be able to carry a gun to defend myself and family" Is this supposed to be a separate statement on semi-official printed paper? its seems so. what format have have most you done for the this statement letter?

thanks much

dz

Just put it on a single page of paper that looks like a letter and go with your text. Relax and get your license soon.

-Gene

BrokerB
02-02-2012, 4:59 AM
When i went for my final appointment the sheriffs at front office who take your Id. Were asking if the first timers if they had their good cause statement . Many were a bit surprised ..you just need a plain piece if paper that says ' i need it for self defense ' then sign your name. The front office guys were nice and were offering a piece of paper for the new guys to write on.
Important now 30 days with LTC ... Thank you calguns & cgf - for those of you who have not made a donation---do so to both!

egDonald
02-02-2012, 9:15 AM
Local news story: http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=176415

Let me first clarify before anyone flames.... this is a hold on CALENDAR dates! not current CCW issuance. CCW's will still be issued, just that scheduling for 2013 to have that initial interview is on-hold.

My brother forwarded me this story....
Anyway, most of us already know about the hold on 2013. Just saying that it's now making news.

This did worry me a bit, as it's true that herds of people are running in to apply for their CCW. After a recent chat with a friend who knows of a person with noticable mental issues owns multiple handguns. I'm guessing they're legally owned, btw. When I heard this, it made me paranoid about whether or not background checks were being looked at or if just glanced at.
Then I asked myself "wow, if that guy passed the background check for handgun purchase, then his chances of getting a CCW would almost be equivalent..." 0_o - is this a valid worry?

thebronze
02-02-2012, 9:16 AM
I just heard on the news on 1530, that SSD has recieved so many LTC apps that they're having trouble keeping up.

The reporter said that SSD said that new LTC apps are on hold right now. Apparently there's a backlog of 2,000 apps.

Here's the report:

http://www.news10.net/news/article/176415/2/Concealed-weapons-permits-on-hold-in-Sacramento-County

Edited to add: Looks like egDonald beat me to it.

thebronze
02-02-2012, 9:23 AM
This is what SSD's website says:

"Unfortunately at this time our calendar for “New Concealed Weapons Permit Applications” is booked through the end of 2012. We are not yet accepting applications for 2013. Please continue to check the website for cancelled appointments."

Like anything, you snooze, you lose.

SouperMan
02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
This did worry me a bit, as it's true that herds of people are running in to apply for their CCW. After a recent chat with a friend who knows of a person with noticable mental issues owns multiple handguns. I'm guessing they're legally owned, btw. When I heard this, it made me paranoid about whether or not background checks were being looked at or if just glanced at.
Then I asked myself "wow, if that guy passed the background check for handgun purchase, then his chances of getting a CCW would almost be equivalent..." 0_o - is this a valid worry?

That person must have cleared question 11-F on ATF Form 4473 either before or lied; 11-F refers to the question on

"Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful
authority that you are a danger to yourself (or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs) OR have you ever been
committed to a mental institution?

On prima facie, if it was undiagnosed and unreported, then how will the government know?

A lot of consideration and vetting has to happen before a CCW is issued as we see evidence through the backlog of CCW Permit applications; Sheriff Jones awhile back said that there has not been any incident as of yet where a CCW Permit holder had to "shoot to kill" or used his/her CCW to commit a crime (that we know of) and a lot of heads would roll if a CCW permit was issued to a "fully vetted" felon.

Markinsac
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Local news story: http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=176415

Let me first clarify before anyone flames.... this is a hold on CALENDAR dates! not current CCW issuance. CCW's will still be issued, just that scheduling for 2013 to have that initial interview is on-hold.

. . . additonal parts snipped for brevity. . .

I know the person who was interviewed in this story at the range - he is probably one of the better people you could interview on a topic like this.