PDA

View Full Version : Riverside

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Gray Peterson
10-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Read the last few pages of this thread to get an idea of where Riverside stands currently.

UPDATE (2015 March 14): Riverside has liberalized issuance, but still requires more than merely "self-defense" as a Good Cause statement. You have to flesh it out more, explaining why you need a CCW for self-defense. Best to read the posts from fall 2014 on to get an idea of what it takes, how to meet the standard. More details can be found in this other thread too:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=950315

UPDATE (2015 July 03):
One of the biggest issues currently facing Riverside residents when it comes to getting their LTC permit is the timeframe it's taking from the first call to getting an interview, and then from the interview to getting your permit.

Straight from the CCW unit, the biggest complaint is that people are applying with incomplete paperwork and required forms. Then, when they do send in stuff that they are missing they do it 1 piece at a time.

So here are the suggestions: Fill out everything completely before your interview, and take in everything that is required. Failing to provide paperwork that is required is a waste of time for everyone and will ultimately slow down your process and make it longer for everyone else.

If you are missing documents that are needed to complete your file, collect everything that is missing and send it all in at the same time. That way the deputies can pull your file 1x and enter everything that's missing. Having to pull a single file 5-6 times to enter one document is a waste.

UPDATE (2015 July 28):
Be sure to review the Good Cause statement discussion on p. 29 and following.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352777&page=29

cindynles
10-18-2010, 7:33 PM
It looks like there might be a couple of issues with Riverside's application.

They are asking for a lot of suplemental information in addition to the standard application. (34 additional questions) For example: "Is there anything in your background that you are trying to conceal?" or "Are there other crimes you have committed, for which you have not been caught?"

They also require 3 reference letters.

TurboS600
10-18-2010, 8:42 PM
It looks like there might be a couple of issues with Riverside's application.

They are asking for a lot of suplemental information in addition to the standard application. (34 additional questions) For example: "Is there anything in your background that you are trying to conceal?" or "Are there other crimes you have committed, for which you have not been caught?"

They also require 3 reference letters.

Is there anything illegal about that? I thought the Sheriff could require anything he needed to ensure that you live in their jurisdication, are of good moral character, and have GC.

I like the new portal. It is good to have someone keeping everyone honest regarding the process.

cindynles
10-19-2010, 6:56 AM
My understanding is that each department is supposed to only use the standard California DOJ application.

ale014
11-02-2010, 8:39 PM
anyone have a ccw in riverside? any thoughts on riverside sheriff's stance on ccw?

can't seem to find much info on calccw's site =[

wildhawker
11-03-2010, 12:07 AM
anyone have a ccw in riverside? any thoughts on riverside sheriff's stance on ccw?

can't seem to find much info on calccw's site =[

Riverside is one of the friendlier counties.

My understanding is that each department is supposed to only use the standard California DOJ application.

That is correct.

Is there anything illegal about that? I thought the Sheriff could require anything he needed to ensure that you live in their jurisdication, are of good moral character, and have GC.

I like the new portal. It is good to have someone keeping everyone honest regarding the process.

Yes, all of it is illegal. Further, it asks questions specifically barred under state law and requires of the applicant the completion of additional forms.

bluebaron
11-03-2010, 3:15 AM
Riverside is one of the friendlier counties.

That is correct.

Yes, all of it is illegal. Further, it asks questions specifically barred under state law and requires of the applicant the completion of additional forms.

Just catching up on this. Has a letter of complaint been sent to the Sheriff?

Echidin
11-03-2010, 7:44 AM
Just catching up on this. Has a letter of complaint been sent to the Sheriff?

I was wondering this as well. Any updates would be appreciated.

383green
11-03-2010, 8:01 AM
If it would be helpful for somebody to push the issue by applying to RCSO with "personal protection" as their good cause, refusing to submit the illegal reference letters and so forth, I'm willing to to that (work schedule permitting... grr). Even if it means certain denial when I could have gotten my permit by simply jumping through their hoops. I want my CCW, but securing the right for everybody else takes higher priority.

bluebaron
11-03-2010, 8:41 AM
If it would be helpful for somebody to push the issue by applying to RCSO with "personal protection" as their good cause, refusing to submit the illegal reference letters and so forth, I'm willing to to that (work schedule permitting... grr). Even if it means certain denial when I could have gotten my permit by simply jumping through their hoops. I want my CCW, but securing the right for everybody else takes higher priority.

Think we'll have to wait on the experts to answer that one. Although, I personally would like someone to try that. I consider myself to be of good character but don't want to ask friends to vouch for me. Especially as most are quite anti gun ;-)

hawk1
11-03-2010, 8:46 AM
Think we'll have to wait on the experts to answer that one. Although, I personally would like someone to try that. I consider myself to be of good character but don't want to ask friends to vouch for me. Especially as most are quite anti gun ;-)

Which makes me want to ask, what are the "experts" waiting for? :confused:

383green
11-03-2010, 8:47 AM

I agree on waiting for the experts to answer it, and I assume that there are far worse counties that will need their attention first. I'm just putting it out there that if they expect to need somebody to do this in Riverside, I'm willing to hold off "applying to win" in order to help out.

383green
11-03-2010, 8:49 AM
Which makes me want to ask, what are the "experts" waiting for? :confused:

There are far worse offenders among the 58 sheriff's offices, and we also have pending litigation. Have patience... they have a good track record in the strategy and timing departments, and a lot of their decisions are based on information that isn't public knowledge.

hawk1
11-03-2010, 8:51 AM
I think my patience in this state has about run out. Especially after yesterdays vote.

cindynles
11-04-2010, 6:55 PM
Well, I have my DOJ application filled out and:
-3 reference letters
-DD214
-Copy of birth certificate
-Coyp of DL
-Proof of residence
-2 passport photos
-$20 money order

I am going to call in the morning to set up my appt to submit my application.

I'm not turning in the "Additional Background Questions" though since it says "I fully understand that this information will be treated as confidential and, though not required, providing accurate information will assist in a timely completion of the CCW application process."

I'll post updates as I go through the process.

SDI
11-05-2010, 2:55 PM
Well, I have my DOJ application filled out and:
-3 reference letters
-DD214
-Copy of birth certificate
-Coyp of DL
-Proof of residence
-2 passport photos
-$20 money order

I am going to call in the morning to set up my appt to submit my application.

I'm not turning in the "Additional Background Questions" though since it says "I fully understand that this information will be treated as confidential and, though not required, providing accurate information will assist in a timely completion of the CCW application process."

I'll post updates as I go through the process.

You are correct in not turning in the extra paperwork. I have been assured by the CCW unit that you do not need to turn it in. It used to be mandatory before Gray Peterson contacted them. Let us know if they say anything to the contrary.

dantodd
11-05-2010, 3:13 PM
Do we know if they still demand the reference letters? If Gray has been in contact they may not even ask for them if you don't turn them in with your app.

cindynles
11-06-2010, 10:52 AM
I called yesterday to make my appt to turn in my application. I got voice mail and left a message.

cindynles
11-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I've got my appointment set up. They asked me to bring 2 money orders though, the $20 for the County and the $95 for the State.

00BuckShot
11-10-2010, 4:10 PM
cindynles how long did it take for you to get an appointment? I called the CCW task force and the Deputy that I spoke to what actually pretty helpful. Pretty much said that if all your ducks are in a row when you get your paperwork in and have the two cashiers checks it's a pretty smooth process. Takes somewhere around 2 months if you hound him about it. Spoke with a guy at a local gun shop and he just got his (showed it to me so I know he's legit) and it took him about 4 months. That's due to one of the weapons he put on his application held something up. But they pushed it through and he said the same thing about the deputy that was helping him. Mostly a good guy. I'm getting my process started and I'll let you know how it goes.

safewaysecurity
11-10-2010, 4:27 PM
cindynles how long did it take for you to get an aoopintment? I called the CCW task force and the Deputy that I spoke to what actually pretty helpful. Pretty much said that if all your ducks are in a row when you get your paperwork in and have the two cashiers checks it's a pretty smooth process. Takes somewhere around 2 months if you hound him about it. Spoke with a guy at a local gun shop and he just got his (showed it to me so I know he's legit) and it took him about 4 months. That's due to one of the weapons he put on his application held something up. But they pushed it through and he said the same thing about the deputy that was helping him. Mostly a good guy. I'm getting my process started and I'll let you know how it goes.

So... you ever gonna tell us how that story with the dude at your front door ends? :D

00BuckShot
11-11-2010, 8:50 AM
So... you ever gonna tell us how that story with the dude at your front door ends? :D

Dude....I totally forgot that I left you guys hanging. :D I'll have to go back and update that.

cindynles
11-11-2010, 9:36 AM
cindynles how long did it take for you to get an appointment?

I called and left a message on a Friday and they called me back the following Monday afternoon.

SgtJT27
11-17-2010, 1:52 PM
Would it help, for the background check if you recently and currently have a security clearance from DoD?

greasemonkey
11-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Does Riverside SO have any problem issuing to active military like Kings Co does?

SDI
11-18-2010, 12:27 PM
No, any other background checks neither help nor hurt. They will run a new one on everyone.

I know of at least one active duty Marine who got his CCW in Riverside Co., so they do issue to military.

Bargearse
11-28-2010, 8:02 AM
From what I understand in this thread that Riverside CCW unit does not require supplemental questionnaires filled in and turned in. What about the 3 personal reference letters?

cindynles
11-28-2010, 2:51 PM
From what I understand in this thread that Riverside CCW unit does not require supplemental questionnaires filled in and turned in. What about the 3 personal reference letters?

When I submitted my application recently, I was asked if I completed the supplemental questionnaire but I was not required to turn it in. They are still requiring the 3 reference letters.

lorax3
11-28-2010, 6:38 PM
I want my CCW, but securing the right for everybody else takes higher priority.

+1

Great perspective to have.

cindynles
12-13-2010, 1:37 PM
My application has been accepted ($20 + $95), I completed the Livescan ($10), I qualified with the hand guns I want on my permit ($20 worth of ammo), and I completed the 4 hour classroom training ($100).

So now I am just waiting for an approval or denial letter. So far I am $245 invested into the process. If I am approved I owe another $80 bringing the total for a Riverside County CCW to $325 for 2 years.

zman
12-13-2010, 1:51 PM
My application has been accepted ($20 + $95), I completed the Livescan ($10), I qualified with the hand guns I want on my permit ($20 worth of ammo), and I completed the 4 hour classroom training ($100).

So now I am just waiting for an approval or denial letter. So far I am $245 invested into the process. If I am approved I owe another $80 bringing the total for a Riverside County CCW to $325 for 2 years.

Good luck :thumbsup: Please keep us updated :)

surflvr911sc
12-13-2010, 2:43 PM
Good luck! I would hope that they would let you know before the $200+ mark if there were any show-stoppers.

Can you describe the weapons qualification process?

cindynles
12-14-2010, 7:09 AM
Can you describe the weapons qualification process?

You go to the range at the Ben Clark Training center. The range master inspects your guns and fills out a form with the serial numbers of the guns you are going to qualify with.

You have to fire a full mag (10 rounds in you have pre-ban mags) from 15 yards at two standard silhouette (NRA B-27) targets. You start from the low ready. 2 shots to the chest on one target, then 2 shots to the chest to the second. Repeat until you gun is empty.

You then move up to 10 yards and repeat the same process.

Last you move up to 7 yards. From this starting point the process is 2 shots to the chest and 1 to the head on the first target, then 2 shots to the chest 1 to the head on the second target. Repeat until your gun is empty.

You have to qualify with each gun that you want on your permit. Make sure you bring enough ammo. There are no restrictions on type of ammo you can shoot.

You need 70% hits on the target to pass. They also make you wear body armor (which they provide).

surflvr911sc
12-16-2010, 5:02 PM
Cool, thank you!

jaysponger
12-20-2010, 11:34 PM
You got your CCW yet?

cindynles
12-21-2010, 8:40 AM
I'll know one way or another in 6-8 weeks............

Glock_Toter
12-28-2010, 7:56 PM
I am also getting ready to apply for mine with the rso, after talking with the deputy who was very helpful with my problem of my city I live in. The only question if any one can answer is if they can request copies of cash deposits for self employed and not just a copy of the business license? If any thoughts please help

SDI
12-28-2010, 8:02 PM
They would actualy like to see a letter from your bank saying that you deposit large amounts of cash but some banks like Bank of America refuse to do this. So they will settle for the transaction receipt for cash deposits.

Glock_Toter
12-29-2010, 3:50 PM
Thanks

Baconator
01-07-2011, 6:15 PM
I am thinking about applying in Riverside County, City of Beaumont. I own a company that transports a lot of personal information (ssn's, medical records, other private info) into bad neighborhoods. If stolen these items could be used for identity theft. Is this, in anyones experience a good enough good cause? I know I have to apply to the city first.

SDI
01-07-2011, 8:11 PM
Is this, in anyones experience a good enough good cause?

Yup.
Not sure about you having to apply to the city first though. If you call the CCW unit they will tell you.

You will get one of the new credit card style CCW's with your picture on it. :hurray:

Baconator
01-07-2011, 8:25 PM
Yup.
Not sure about you having to apply to the city first though. If you call the CCW unit they will tell you.

You will get one of the new credit card style CCW's with your picture on it. :hurray:

Ok, I'm going to contact the local PD on Monday. I'll keep everyone posted. If anyone has tips for me on how to make it flow as smoothly as possible, please feel free to PM me.

SDI
01-07-2011, 8:31 PM
Unless you are absolutely sure you have to go to your local PD, why not call the RivCo CCW unit like I said and ask. They are super nice and you might be able to just apply directly to them.

Baconator
01-07-2011, 8:35 PM
Unless you are absolutely sure you have to go to your local PD, why not call the RivCo CCW unit like I said and ask. They are super nice and you might be able to just apply directly to them.
I read through the info here:
http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/Riverside.pdf
and it says that you must at least attempt to apply if you live in a city within the county that has it's own PD.

SDI
01-07-2011, 8:45 PM
OK, gotcha.
I just know of alot of people who just applied directly to the Sheriff's CCW unit and had no problem.

The only thing I do know for sure is if you call and ask they will tell you.
I talk to those guys all the time and they really don't understand why more people don't just call them up and ask questions. You don't even have to tell them your name.
Sheriff Sniff has taken quite an interest in CCW's lately. That is why he bought the new equipment for the plastic cards.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Baconator
01-07-2011, 8:46 PM
OK, gotcha.
I just know of alot of people who just applied directly to the Sheriff's CCW unit and had no problem.

The only thing I do know for sure is if you call and ask they will tell you.
I talk to those guys all the time and they really don't understand why more people don't just call them up and ask questions. You don't even have to tell them your name.
Sheriff Sniff has taken quite an interest in CCW's lately. That is why he bought the new equipment for the plastic cards.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Will do, thank you.

cindynles
01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
You do not have to apply to the city first. The Riverside Sheriff CCW will accept your application without having to first apply to the city. I went directly to the Sheriff and was never asked about a city application.

Baconator
01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Well ok, save me a phone call. Thanks.

00BuckShot
01-10-2011, 4:33 PM
FYI...Update.

December 1st, 2010 initial interview and packet drop off. I filled everything out comepletely and was well prepared with MO's for payment in hand.

January 10th, 2011...CCW in hand. Less than 6 weeks, start to finish.

Everything went smooth and the CCW unit was helpful and very professional.

hawk1
01-10-2011, 4:51 PM
Well done 00BuckShot :mnl:

Care to post any insight as to what you did right or wrong in the process or if you had a chance to do over? How were they as to good cause? No specific details on yours, just overall?
Thanks

00BuckShot
01-10-2011, 5:12 PM
I just made sure that EVERYTHING was done ahead of time. Everything was typed up and legible. My good cause we well written, like you would a college paper. (Thank goodness for spell check.) I dressed nice for the interview and gave them no other cause to turn me down. All the "t's" were crossed and the "i's" dotted. Got my class taken care of in a timely manner. Made followup calls but didn't bug them. All in all it was pretty easy!

cindynles
01-10-2011, 5:16 PM
FYI...Update.

December 1st, 2010 initial interview and packet drop off. I filled everything out comepletely and was well prepared with MO's for payment in hand.

January 10th, 2011...CCW in hand. Less than 6 weeks, start to finish.

Everything went smooth and the CCW unit was helpful and very professional.

I had my initial interview November 15th and I still haven't heard back.........:mad:

cindynles
01-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, I am at 63 days since my initial interview now. They have 27 more to let me know, as of last week my application is "under review"..........:gene:

lawaia
01-18-2011, 2:10 PM
Well, I am at 63 days since my initial interview now. They have 27 more to let me know, as of last week my application is "under review"..........:gene:

Hang in there. I was just in the office the other day, and was told they have been extremely busy with applicants. I would think you are getting close, though.

Good luck!

dave3223
01-20-2011, 7:34 PM
I just had a question that I wanted to know if anyone might be able to answer or offer advice to. I too own a business in Riverside (a foster family agency dealing with abused and neglected children who are dependents of the court). I have been a social worker for the past 17 years (including several years a long time ago with Riverside County Child Protective Services). I have been considering applying for a CCW for a while. Whereas it is true that my business does deal with large sums of money, it should be noted that much of these deposits are in the form of checks received from the counties that we service. I have deposits receipts in large dollar amounts (six figure amounts), however the deposit receipts do not differentiate between cash deposits versus deposits via checks. Yes, I too have a business account at BofA. I do make cash deposits also, but again, the very large sums are from checks received.

Would it not be worth the time using a good cause statement which focuses on large financial deposits or would it be better to consider a good cause based on the safety of my employees and myself from the family members of the kids that we monitor. Yes, with my business and the issues that we deal with in the families of the kids who are placed in foster care, there are problems. Fortunately, I have been able to address these problems through the use of good communication and trying to defray the feelings of some of these individuals, however a CCW has been something that I have been considering for a long time.

Just seeking opinions, but would this be a good reason for attaining a CCW and would the issue of safety or large deposits be a "good cause" reason?

SDI
01-20-2011, 7:42 PM
I think the overall picture you describe is an excellent good cause.

I have told alot of people in the past to just call and ask the CCW unit, but I don't think anybody does. Most can't believe that they really can get one and don't want to screw it up by asking the wrong questions.

But I truly think the deputies that manage this have your best interests at heart. If you call you don't even have to give your name. They will ask some questions and almost help you form your good cause. They really do want to issue. I have spent hours talking to them.

Here is the number 951-486-2856

dave3223
01-20-2011, 10:16 PM
SDI... Thank you for your response and advice. I also appreciate the phone number and will look to make the call in the morning!

jpigeon
01-30-2011, 7:51 AM
Is there any update or policy change regarding "personal protection" for "good cause"???

mtsul
01-30-2011, 11:57 AM
I think the overall picture you describe is an excellent good cause.

I have told alot of people in the past to just call and ask the CCW unit, but I don't think anybody does. Most can't believe that they really can get one and don't want to screw it up by asking the wrong questions.

But I truly think the deputies that manage this have your best interests at heart. If you call you don't even have to give your name. They will ask some questions and almost help you form your good cause. They really do want to issue. I have spent hours talking to them.

Here is the number 951-486-2856

Is there any update or policy change regarding "personal protection" for "good cause"???

I know are we like solano county yet?:chris:

SDI
01-30-2011, 12:02 PM
I know are we like solano county yet?:chris:

Not to my knowledge.

cindynles
02-02-2011, 6:12 PM

Down to "two weeks" now till the SD hits the PC12052.5 (90 day) deadline. My application is still "under review"........:gene:

Is there any recourse available if the department violates PC12052.5 timing requirements?

cindynles
02-14-2011, 7:12 AM
Today is day 91. PC12052.5 has now been violated.

Civilitant
02-14-2011, 7:16 AM
what recourse do you have?

seems like you got hosed.. 300 ish bux, 90+ days wait time.. no ccw? wth..

cindynles
02-17-2011, 3:48 PM
Got a response from the Sheriff today....DENIED.

Good cause was "I wish to carry a handgun for the purpose of self defense, specifically from animal predators such as coyotes and mountain lions"

I knew it was a gamble going into it........

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/cindynles/scan0002.jpg

383green
02-17-2011, 3:50 PM
And it took them more than the legally allowed time period to decide that they didn't like your simple, single-sentence good cause? Not cool, in my opinion. :(

Baconator
02-17-2011, 3:50 PM
That sucks. I feel like if you don't get the license, you should at least get your money back.

cindynles
02-17-2011, 3:56 PM
I would just like everyone who is considering applying in Riverside County to be aware of the situation. In hindsite I should have insisted they follow the law and not collect the $100 for the CCW class up front. It would have saved me some cash. Oh well, live and learn....

jpigeon
02-17-2011, 6:33 PM
I would just like everyone who is considering applying in Riverside County to be aware of the situation. In hindsite I should have insisted they follow the law and not collect the $100 for the CCW class up front. It would have saved me some cash. Oh well, live and learn....

Have you contacted anyone from CG to see if any legal action can be taken???

45DAVID1
03-23-2011, 9:52 AM
The application asks for lawsuits involved in. Would divorce preceedings be considered a "lawsuit" for that question?

vanfenix
04-10-2011, 1:07 PM
Looking for some insight.

I've been looking around these forums for quite some time. Recently joined so I could look at some of the hosted pictures. First I want to thank everyone here for all they do.

Onto the insight seeking. I'm a nurse in San Bernardino, I live in Riverside County, I work noon to midnight in the Emergency Department. My girlfriend and mother are also nurses and we teach classes in underprivileged areas of San B and Rivco, often finishing well after dark and returning home.

Having access to drugs, IV supplies and medical equipment, as well as the desire to protect my family in some undesirable areas late at night have prompted my desire to apply for a CCW in Rivco.

Unrelated to the above we also spend many hours in the back country of Rivco and San B offroading/hiking out in the desert and desire a certain protection.

Does any of the above seem to fit the good cause clause?

I'm going to call the CCW unit and ask them, but I want to met out any issues you guys see in the good cause scenario first.

Thanks so Much

---------------
VFX
RN, EMT-B, BLS-I

SDI
04-10-2011, 8:10 PM

I've been looking around these forums for quite some time. Recently joined so I could look at some of the hosted pictures. First I want to thank everyone here for all they do.

Onto the insight seeking. I'm a nurse in San Bernardino, I live in Riverside County, I work noon to midnight in the Emergency Department. My girlfriend and mother are also nurses and we teach classes in underprivileged areas of San B and Rivco, often finishing well after dark and returning home.

Having access to drugs, IV supplies and medical equipment, as well as the desire to protect my family in some undesirable areas late at night have prompted my desire to apply for a CCW in Rivco.

Unrelated to the above we also spend many hours in the back country of Rivco and San B offroading/hiking out in the desert and desire a certain protection.

I'm going to call the CCW unit and ask them, but I want to met out any issues you guys see in the good cause scenario first.

Thanks so Much

---------------
VFX
RN, EMT-B, BLS-I

While I can't speak for the CCW unit, I think you stand a good chance based on what you wrote.

inbox485
04-14-2011, 9:58 AM

Thanks so Much

---------------
VFX
RN, EMT-B, BLS-I

From the few people I know that have gotten CCWs from Riverside County, occupational hazzards are generally accepted. They might request a green light from your employer though.

inbox485
04-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Would love to see if this could be used to force the reuse of this same good cause statement.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_m3ZmAJ4KVYY/Tac2iTaONqI/AAAAAAAABMY/MdY28W0xpPc/s800/SCN_0001-redacted.JPG

383green
04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
On that note, have the successful good cause statements for Riverside County been obtained yet?

vanfenix
04-15-2011, 6:19 PM
Can the RivCo Sheriff legally approach my employer for consent? I was lead to believe by previous statements that would be a no no on their end

Bargearse
04-15-2011, 10:14 PM
After speaking with an officer in CCW unit and was told the 3 personal references got flagged as "illegal requirement" by other sources, which I consider ourselves at CALGUNS. They are reviewing and will issue revised list of requirements but cannot guarantee when would happen.

inbox485
04-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Can the RivCo Sheriff legally approach my employer for consent? I was lead to believe by previous statements that would be a no no on their end

If their is anything barring them from doing so, I've never seen it. I have read stories where they have done just that.

scoutpup99
04-23-2011, 8:54 PM
I had to have my employer fill out a form that allowed my company to add restrictions to my license. at&t is very anti-gun. Unless you live in Alaska or the Florida Everglades you can't carry at work or even lock you gun in your vehicle in a company parking lot.

Kid Stanislaus
04-24-2011, 8:20 AM
I had to have my employer fill out a form that allowed my company to add restrictions to my license. at&t is very anti-gun. Unless you live in Alaska or the Florida Everglades you can't carry at work or even lock you gun in your vehicle in a company parking lot.

That's pretty standard for almost every company on the planet.

scoutpup99
04-24-2011, 12:02 PM
The crappy part is that at&t risk management told me that it does not matter where I park my truck, I can't have my gun in my personal truck while I am on the clock. The risk management representative told me I should move to Florida if I want to keep my gun in my personal truck while at work.

cindynles
04-24-2011, 1:17 PM
The crappy part is that at&t risk management told me that it does not matter where I park my truck, I can't have my gun in my personal truck while I am on the clock. The risk management representative told me I should move to Florida if I want to keep my gun in my personal truck while at work.

How in the world are they going to enforce that? Do you use your personal truck on the job? Do they pay you mileage or something? If you park off company property they have no control at all over what is in you truck.

scoutpup99
04-25-2011, 9:16 PM
Legally they can't but that won't stop my work (local management) from trying to do it anyways. Luckily after talking to one of the Chief Special Agents (company investigator) he assured me that I can park on private property away from the building and be fine. His advice was to park in front of one of the car dealerships by my yard. Only thing that sucks is when I ride my bike I can't carry to work since I have nowhere to secure it during work.

Baconator
04-28-2011, 8:08 PM
Finally got my business license for this year (only took the city 4 months to get it to me), and some of the information is wrong. Since I am using my business as a reason for my CCW, I wanted to have everything good to go before I even tried.

Stupid city.

greasemonkey
04-28-2011, 9:17 PM
Legally they can't but that won't stop my work (local management) from trying to do it anyways. Luckily after talking to one of the Chief Special Agents (company investigator) he assured me that I can park on private property away from the building and be fine. His advice was to park in front of one of the car dealerships by my yard. Only thing that sucks is when I ride my bike I can't carry to work since I have nowhere to secure it during work.

Your work hates mother earth and wants to force you to drive your oil-burning savage of a car. Did I read into that too much?

Bargearse
04-29-2011, 8:44 PM
I am working on filling in CCW application form and will submit to Riverside Sherriff when ready. I spoke with Sgt John Whiting in legal/administration department and was told that the penal code 12051(a)(3)(c) was interpreted allowing Dept to request 3 personal references. They are still requesting for 3 personal references which I consider an illegal requirement under 12051(a)(3)(c) of the California Penal Code.

12051(a)(3)(C) of the California Penal Code states, "An applicant shall not be required to complete any additional application or form for a license, or to provide any information other than that necessary to complete the standard application form described in subparagraph (A), except to clarify or interpret information provided by the applicant on the standard application form

It is pretty clear to me as an ordinary person they are not allowed to request other additional documentation.

lhecker51
05-16-2011, 6:42 PM
Over $300 for a two year CCW? I guess CCW's are for those that can afford it and the rest are left to illegal carry. I never knew that you had to pay to exercise a right. The cost is extremely high compared to $25 in Washington state. How do they justify this? Why do they not exempt combat vets from the qualification requirement? Do you need to re-qualify every 2 years on the range? I was denied a CCW after spending over $200 up in Contra Costa county. The reason? My good cause was not good enough: Family/Personal protection. That was six years ago and I am pursuing it again after my wife was robbed and almost raped in a public bathroom in Monterey while on vacation. We moved to Corona from Pleasant Hill and are surrounded by schools making UOC impractical.

FERGUSON
05-23-2011, 5:55 AM
any news regarding riverside county ccw's......any chance non leo's or business owners can obtain a ccw...

Bargearse
05-24-2011, 4:45 PM
Response received via email from Riverside County Sheriff Department on 3 personal reference letters.

Anyone out there help me with writing a rebuttal response via email to RSD?

John//

Dear BargeArse,

Thanks you for your email of interest into our CCW program. Below are the responses to your concerns regarding the requirement of three reference letters.

1. As stated in PC section 12051(a)(3)(C) in regards to completing additional information, “except to clarify or interpret information provided by the applicant on the standard application form.”

The reference letters are a way for us to clarify information provided by applicants.

2. Per the instructions for completing the DOJ Standard Application (approved per PC section 12051(a)(3)(A)), it states, “Each licensing authority, in addition to using the state standard application form, will have a written policy summarizing what they require pursuant to PC section 12050(a)(1)(A) and (B). Prior to issuing a CCW, the statutes require proof that:
The applicant is of good moral character,
Good cause exists to issue the CCW license,
The applicant meets residence requirements, and
The course of training prescribed by the licensing authority has been completed”

The reference letters are a tool to assist us in determining the applicant is of good moral character.

3. The DOJ Standard Application also states, “The Licensee authorizes the licensing agency to investigate, as they deem necessary, the licensee’s record and character to ascertain any and all information which may concern his/her qualifications and justification to be issued a license to carry a concealed weapon and release said agency of any and all liability arising out of such investigation”

Again, we feel the reference letters are a practical means of establishing the good moral character of the applicant(s) as stated in PC section 12050(a)(1)(A) and (B).

I hope this satisfactorily addresses your concerns. Feel free to contact me for any other matters I may be able to assist you with.

Thank you,

Robert G. Peebles, Lieutenant
Riverside County Sheriff's Department
Sheriff's Administration

Wingshooter
06-01-2011, 2:14 PM
i was told the new sheriff is pretty strict regarding "good cause"

mtsul
07-04-2011, 4:21 PM
Is it time to apply for riverside? If it is can we use personal protection as good cause?

cindynles
07-04-2011, 5:12 PM
Got a response from the Sheriff today....DENIED.

Good cause was "I wish to carry a handgun for the purpose of self defense, specifically from animal predators such as coyotes and mountain lions"

I knew it was a gamble going into it........

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/cindynles/scan0002.jpg

Is it time to apply for riverside? If it is can we use personal protection as good cause?

You can try. It didn't work so well for me........

lawaia
07-05-2011, 8:05 AM
You can try. It didn't work so well for me........

Yeah, but you knew your GC was a gamble going in, remember? Were you truly trying to get a permit, or were you testing for passable GC? I know my words are harsh, but your GC was pretty lousy, IMO. I do believe everyone should have the right to carry, but the game is what it is for now. You have to play by the rules if you expect to get anywhere.

Yes, it is a very good time for Riverside County. No, you cannot just write "personal protection" for your GC. You need to articulate what you are protecting yourself from, and what makes you at greater risk than the average person.

However, I see your location says you are only in Riverside "sometimes". You have to apply where you mainly reside.

cindynles
07-05-2011, 9:03 AM
Yeah, but you knew your GC was a gamble going in, remember? Were you truly trying to get a permit, or were you testing for passable GC? I know my words are harsh, but your GC was pretty lousy, IMO. I do believe everyone should have the right to carry, but the game is what it is for now. You have to play by the rules if you expect to get anywhere.

My good cause was vetted by some of the "right people" here prior to submitting it. I did my homework and I know that permits were issued to some with a very, very similar good cause to what I put on my application.

I believe that my "problem" was that I would not fill out and submit the additional (illegal) application form, the one that has questions like "Are there other crimes you have committed, for which you have not been caught?", "When was the last time you lost control of your temper?", or "Is there anything in your background that you are trying to conceal?"

lawaia
07-05-2011, 9:26 AM
My good cause was vetted by some of the "right people" here prior to submitting it. I did my homework and I know that permits were issued to some with a very, very similar good cause to what I put on my application.

I believe that my "problem" was that I would not fill out and submit the additional (illegal) application form, the one that has questions like "Are there other crimes you have committed, for which you have not been caught?", "When was the last time you lost control of your temper?", or "Is there anything in your background that you are trying to conceal?"

My apologies. I didn't realize you had been "vetted" and done your homework prior to submitting. I just couldn't imagine that protection from wild animals would be seen by the SO as a positive reason to issue. If others have in fact been issued for that reason, then I am wrong.

I did fill out the additional application form, as I would rather be issued and let others fight for the illegality of the form. None of the questions asked in that form were offensive to me. If your intention was to fight the use of that form, then I commend you.

Personally, I would have liked to see you appeal your case.

cindynles
07-05-2011, 12:25 PM
My apologies. I didn't realize you had been "vetted" and done your homework prior to submitting. I just couldn't imagine that protection from wild animals would be seen by the SO as a positive reason to issue. If others have in fact been issued for that reason, then I am wrong.

I did fill out the additional application form, as I would rather be issued and let others fight for the illegality of the form. None of the questions asked in that form were offensive to me. If your intention was to fight the use of that form, then I commend you.

Personally, I would have liked to see you appeal your case.

It's in the works........

jpigeon
07-11-2011, 9:30 PM
Whats the latest RC CCW update? Last time I checked someone from CG was working with the Sheriff on personal protection as good cause. Anything new? Or do you still have to be in some type of higher risk business. I work the 9-5 routine but still come across all the get out of jail early bums when I am out with the fam bam. Would that qualify for good cause? NEED HELP!

valkylrie
07-11-2011, 11:20 PM
I keep crafting and crafting but have not come up with anything I feel really confident about myself...Actually I do feel confident about the need just not my articulation of that need. I keep hoping the Riverside “Good Cause” file will be released soon and I can compare my situation to others.

FERGUSON
08-01-2011, 1:49 PM
any updates yet?

FERGUSON
08-16-2011, 11:15 AM
bttt

Rich Keagy
09-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Well, I've filled out the paperwork. I suppose I can get those letters, but I don't want to spend the $$$ unless I know a) I'll get the ltc, or b) I'll help CG by providing 'another case to throw on the pile'.
I'm retired and weary of unloaded open carry and GFSZs. I wouldn't mind LOC.
Hey, it's payday! I gotta make up my mind quick before the money disappears.
Thanks in advance folks.

lawaia
09-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Well, I've filled out the paperwork. I suppose I can get those letters, but I don't want to spend the $$$ unless I know a) I'll get the ltc, or b) I'll help CG by providing 'another case to throw on the pile'.
I'm retired and weary of unloaded open carry and GFSZs. I wouldn't mind LOC.
Hey, it's payday! I gotta make up my mind quick before the money disappears.
Thanks in advance folks.

You won't know until you try! Have you had anyone review your GC?

Rich Keagy
09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I only have a two-word GC; self-protection.
I can elaborate, alot. Never thought to have it reviewed.
What do you suggest I do at this point?
Thank you.

lawaia
09-01-2011, 2:09 PM
I only have a two-word GC; self-protection.
I can elaborate, alot. Never thought to have it reviewed.
What do you suggest I do at this point?
Thank you.

Sorry, but that ain't gonna cut the mustard in RivCo. Yes, you need to elaborate......alot. List every thing in your everyday life that may put you at greater risk than the average person. I had mine reviewed by others several times to refine it, and it took me quite a while to get it where I wanted.

Dtt255
09-07-2011, 7:08 PM
Long time lurker,

I am 3 weeks into waiting for my CCW form Riverside County.

They were very nice to me there and actually called me and had me revise my GC because although THEY knew what I did for a living and WHY I wanted a CCW...they didn't feel I expressed it correctly in my GC. So they asked me to revise it a bit.
I felt that was very decent of them.....

So I am 3 week in from handing it in originally, and 1 week from when I sent them the revised GC. I can only assume they didn't send it in to admin until the got the new GC.

Everytime the phone rings I jump....lol

I just wonder...do I get a call or a letter? Is the approval a letter or a call?

I know a denial is a letter, got one from Indio PD.

Thanks!

jaysponger
09-07-2011, 9:22 PM
Is being in the military a good cause?

Just think about it, we are on a vehicle with a DOD decal that you must have. We have only a few routes to get to base, most of the time we are in uniform going to and from work. And look at us, we almost have the same haircut....

SDI
09-08-2011, 6:43 AM
Long time lurker,

They were very nice to me there and actually called me and had me revise my GC because although THEY knew what I did for a living and WHY I wanted a CCW...they didn't feel I expressed it correctly in my GC. So they asked me to revise it a bit.

So I am 3 week in from handing it in originally, and 1 week from when I sent them the revised GC. I can only assume they didn't send it in to admin until the got the new GC.

I just wonder...do I get a call or a letter? Is the approval a letter or a call?

Thanks!

I think you are about a month away from now. They seem to be backed up a little at the LT's desk. They usually will call you and then you have to go in and sign for it.

lawaia
09-08-2011, 7:32 AM
Dtt255,

Like SDI said, you should receive a phone call as soon as the decision is made. However, I think one month is being a bit too optimistic. You are probably only one week in admin, since you had to revise your GC. (BTW, the RCSO CCW guys are the best at offering advice and help!:)) I would guess that you are looking at 2 more months of waiting. Look at it this way, if you expect it to take 2 months, and it only takes 1 you will be stoked. The other way around makes for an agonizing wait. It's hard, but you will make it there.:)

lawaia
09-08-2011, 7:55 AM
Is being in the military a good cause?

Just think about it, we are on a vehicle with a DOD decal that you must have. We have only a few routes to get to base, most of the time we are in uniform going to and from work. And look at us, we almost have the same haircut....

I don't know for certain, but my initial thought is that by itself it would not get you very far. However, I am certain that you could come up with other areas in your every day life that would get you an LTC. Put some thought into what other things you have/do that would put you at greater risk than the average Joe. Then start writing your GC from there.

Hopefully, we won't have to jump through these hoops for much longer!

Dtt255
09-08-2011, 7:56 AM
I think you are about a month away from now. They seem to be backed up a little at the LT's desk. They usually will call you and then you have to go in and sign for it.

Dtt255,

Like SDI said, you should receive a phone call as soon as the decision is made. However, I think one month is being a bit too optimistic. You are probably only one week in admin, since you had to revise your GC. (BTW, the RCSO CCW guys are the best at offering advice and help!:)) I would guess that you are looking at 2 more months of waiting. Look at it this way, if you expect it to take 2 months, and it only takes 1 you will be stoked. The other way around makes for an agonizing wait. It's hard, but you will make it there.:)

I appreciate the advice. I pretty much going for....whenever I get it....is the right amount of time. Now I know they have 90 days to approve or deny, so I am 'assuming' it will get done either way in that amount of time.

I only went with the 2-4 weeks time frame AFTER given to admin that I got from the deputy at the ccw dept.

I waiting almost 6-8 months for a denial from my local PD....so I am used to waiting :rolleyes: just don't like it.

The people over at calccw.com have been very helpful with everything also. (sorry about the plug but I think they deserve it) :43:

Dtt255
09-08-2011, 8:37 AM
I guess I was hoping I would get a call saying: "Hey your are approved....the permit will be here in a week or so" That way I would have an idea...but I do realize that they are not working on my schedule. lol

hehehhe

tallic68
09-08-2011, 2:38 PM
Quick question. Iirc when I applied. You needed to renew every two years. You also needed to qualify annually. I have been reading the newly revised application and do not see anywhere that you need to qualify annually. Dose anyone know for sure what to do. I am coming up on the 1 year anniversary of getting my permit and it's really nagging at me that I thought I needed to do something at this point. I'm asking here before I call the LTC unit and ask a question that is obvious. Even though I don't see anything in the application. I didn't even see the renewal after two years, just know that mine expires in oct 2012.

SDI
09-08-2011, 2:43 PM
Quick question. Iirc when I applied. You needed to renew every two years. You also needed to qualify annually. I have been reading the newly revised application and do not see anywhere that you need to qualify annually. Dose anyone know for sure what to do. I am coming up on the 1 year anniversary of getting my permit and it's really nagging at me that I thought I needed to do something at this point. I'm asking here before I call the LTC unit and ask a question that is obvious. Even though I don't see anything in the application. I didn't even see the renewal after two years, just know that mine expires in oct 2012.

Qualification is now every 2 years just like the license.

tallic68
09-08-2011, 3:08 PM
Thank you. I swore it was annually when I applied. Must have changed it when they changed the renewal procedure.

SDI
09-08-2011, 3:41 PM
Thank you. I swore it was annually when I applied. Must have changed it when they changed the renewal procedure.

You're correct, it did used to be every year.

inbox485
09-09-2011, 8:14 AM
Once upon a time, you literally walked in, and so long as nobody recognized you in a negative manner, and you had the right skin color, you walked out with your permit same day. Funny how computers and such have slowed that down... Anyway, I have no idea what the wait time is, but so long as it is plantation politics, I'd expect to wait a while.

As for military, don't count on that meaning anything whatsoever. You are probably a domestic terrorist anyway for all they know ;). From everything I've seen and heard, the ONLY reasons CCW's in RC are issued is for high risk business reasons or in conjunction with restraining orders. Otherwise, your PRIVILEGE to defend yourself will not be extended by the sheriff.

lawaia
09-09-2011, 9:28 AM
Once upon a time, you literally walked in, and so long as nobody recognized you in a negative manner, and you had the right skin color, you walked out with your permit same day. Funny how computers and such have slowed that down... Anyway, I have no idea what the wait time is, but so long as it is plantation politics, I'd expect to wait a while.

As for military, don't count on that meaning anything whatsoever. You are probably a domestic terrorist anyway for all they know ;). From everything I've seen and heard, the ONLY reasons CCW's in RC are issued is for high risk business reasons or in conjunction with restraining orders. Otherwise, your PRIVILEGE to defend yourself will not be extended by the sheriff.

And you would be wrong.:)

tallic68
09-15-2011, 6:01 PM
Wrong. Mine had nothing to do with anything high risk, restraining orders, police reports, beatings or anything of a sort.

And my wait time was approx 3 months.

inbox485
09-16-2011, 9:46 AM
And you would be wrong.:)

Enlighten me then, because I've seen a number of successful CCW, and a number of denials. All the successful CCWs were business related, and the denials were general self defense related.

lawaia
09-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Enlighten me then, because I've seen a number of successful CCW, and a number of denials. All the successful CCWs were business related, and the denials were general self defense related.

When you say you've "seen" them, what exactly do you mean? Have you seen the GC statements? Have you spoken with the applicants or RCSO? How long ago were these applications submitted?

The RCSO CCW Unit is making great strides in issuing to regular folks. They have attended at least one shooting function (for normal people) promoting CCW for the County. Why would they do this if they had no intention of issuing? The deputies in that department have helped many people through the process, even advising them on GC statements. Why would they do that if they had no intention of issuing?

The fact is, no you cannot simply write "personal protection" for your GC and get approved..............yet. You will still have to jump through some hoops. Hopefully this will be changing..............soon.:) You will still have to give them a substantive reason to issue. This does not, however, mean that you have to be a businessman or have a restraining order or have proof of violence against you or donate to a campaign fund or be famous/wealthy or carry around jewels/cash or....................

My impression for RivCo is that is is possible for a regular guy to get an LTC, with some effort exerted in the process.

I started the following thread to get some real feedback from those that have recently gone through the process. Hopefully we get more data so that people will realize that applying really isn't that scary or impossible.:)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=477159

inbox485
09-16-2011, 12:04 PM
When you say you've "seen" them, what exactly do you mean? Have you seen the GC statements? Have you spoken with the applicants or RCSO? How long ago were these applications submitted?

The RCSO CCW Unit is making great strides in issuing to regular folks. They have attended at least one shooting function (for normal people) promoting CCW for the County. Why would they do this if they had no intention of issuing? The deputies in that department have helped many people through the process, even advising them on GC statements. Why would they do that if they had no intention of issuing?

The fact is, no you cannot simply write "personal protection" for your GC and get approved..............yet. You will still have to jump through some hoops. Hopefully this will be changing..............soon.:) You will still have to give them a substantive reason to issue. This does not, however, mean that you have to be a businessman or have a restraining order or have proof of violence against you or donate to a campaign fund or be famous/wealthy or carry around jewels/cash or....................

My impression for RivCo is that is is possible for a regular guy to get an LTC, with some effort exerted in the process.

I started the following thread to get some real feedback from those that have recently gone through the process. Hopefully we get more data so that people will realize that applying really isn't that scary or impossible.:)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=477159

There is at least one rejection posted on this thread alone. If I'm wrong, nobody will be happier than I, but I'm not seeing it.

You say PP is no go, but that it doesn't need be buisness, or based on past incidences. Where is the middle ground between the two. I've looked and I've found absolutely zero indication that an average guy that works a 9-5 and doesn't have any special circumstances can get a CCW in riverside county.

lawaia
09-16-2011, 12:39 PM
There is at least one rejection posted on this thread alone. If I'm wrong, nobody will be happier than I, but I'm not seeing it.

You say PP is no go, but that it doesn't need be buisness, or based on past incidences. Where is the middle ground between the two. I've looked and I've found absolutely zero indication that an average guy that works a 9-5 and doesn't have any special circumstances can get a CCW in riverside county.

If you are referring to cindynles as the denial, why don't you ask him/her (sorry) what their GC was. Then tell me what you think about the denial. I'm not saying they should not have an LTC, but given the current climate you need to give a halfway convincing argument as to why you need one.

The indication of a normal guy getting an LTC can be found in my RivCo poll thread in the LTC forum.

As for middle ground, that would be giving substantive things in your daily life that may put you at risk. You have to substantiate what you need "personal protection" from. The advice that has been given by the RCSO CCW deputies is to list ALL of the reasons you have. Just think about activities, areas you frequent, stuff you tote around, or anything that would make you a desirable target for a bad guy.

Or you can wait until CGF has the GC statements released from RCSO. By all indication, it shouldn't be too much longer. Your choice.

Here's the thing. No one is going to hold your hand and guide you to the water. If you want the LTC bad enough, you will put the effort into it and get one. RivCo is possible. I think you know that by now. You have to be willing to put in the work to get it. Sorry, but that is the harsh reality of the current situation.

inbox485
09-16-2011, 1:16 PM
If you are referring to cindynles as the denial, why don't you ask him/her (sorry) what their GC was. Then tell me what you think about the denial. I'm not saying they should not have an LTC, but given the current climate you need to give a halfway convincing argument as to why you need one.

The indication of a normal guy getting an LTC can be found in my RivCo poll thread in the LTC forum.

As for middle ground, that would be giving substantive things in your daily life that may put you at risk. You have to substantiate what you need "personal protection" from. The advice that has been given by the RCSO CCW deputies is to list ALL of the reasons you have. Just think about activities, areas you frequent, stuff you tote around, or anything that would make you a desirable target for a bad guy.

Or you can wait until CGF has the GC statements released from RCSO. By all indication, it shouldn't be too much longer. Your choice.

Here's the thing. No one is going to hold your hand and guide you to the water. If you want the LTC bad enough, you will put the effort into it and get one. RivCo is possible. I think you know that by now. You have to be willing to put in the work to get it. Sorry, but that is the harsh reality of the current situation.
He said he wanted the permit to be able to carry to not worry about coyotes and mountain lions.

I'll be very curious as to the GC statements when they become available. As to your thread, perhaps you are talented at looking into the tea leaves, but I'm not seeing anybody say "I'm a normal guy and got approved." I can think of plenty of circumstances where RCS would issue, but I really doubt "just in case when I go to walmart" or "I go to ranges a handful of times a year" would fly. I have also spoken verbally to people that were denied for using the "frequent range visitor" bit. If I thought there were reasonable odds of getting a permit, I'd get one. I don't however have the $ to piss away when I have no reason to believe it will go anywhere.

lawaia
09-16-2011, 1:55 PM
He said he wanted the permit to be able to carry to not worry about coyotes and mountain lions.

Do you reasonably expect the RCSO to accept that in this current climate?

I'll be very curious as to the GC statements when they become available. As to your thread, perhaps you are talented at looking into the tea leaves, but I'm not seeing anybody say "I'm a normal guy and got approved."

Sorry, there was a post by someone in one of my threads about being a "normal guy" that got his permit. I though it was in that other thread, and I'm remiss in finding it right now.

I can think of plenty of circumstances where RCS would issue, but I really doubt "just in case when I go to walmart" or "I go to ranges a handful of times a year" would fly. I have also spoken verbally to people that were denied for using the "frequent range visitor" bit. If I thought there were reasonable odds of getting a permit, I'd get one. I don't however have the $ to piss away when I have no reason to believe it will go anywhere.

If you don't think it will go anywhere, you are probably wise to wait. If you really want the LTC, put some genuine effort into a GC statement.

Responses in bold.

lawaia
09-16-2011, 4:26 PM
Just another positive reinforcement!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=7164381&postcount=23

The CCW process in Riverside County is VERY fair. Sheriff Sniff is a big fan of the 2nd Amendment, a cowboy shooter and believes that law abiding citizens should be able to carry. His definition of good cause is totally reasonable. The Deputies in the CCW unit are great to work with. Don't be put off by the language of the CCW application. ...I wasn't, and I just got my permit....very happy.

cindynles
09-19-2011, 10:55 AM
If you are referring to cindynles as the denial, why don't you ask him/her (sorry) what their GC was.

Him

lawaia
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Him

Sorry.:o

hiltoncp
10-15-2011, 6:52 PM
Long time lurker,

Thanks!

Dtt255, How long did it take for Indio PD to issue you the denial letter?
I live in Indio also.

Thanks (in advance) for taking the time to reply.
:79:

FERGUSON
10-19-2011, 7:28 AM
WELL ANY NEWS OF THE GOOD CAUSE FROM RIVERSIDE COUNTY

lawaia
10-19-2011, 8:00 AM
WELL ANY NEWS OF THE GOOD CAUSE FROM RIVERSIDE COUNTY

I emailed Brandon yesterday, and he is still waiting to hear from Riverside. Said he expects something soon.

Hakoomay
10-29-2011, 1:52 PM
Any new news???

covertcombatant
11-10-2011, 6:00 PM
Any updates? I Really want to apply.

lawaia
11-10-2011, 7:40 PM

Don't expect them to ever be handed out like candy. If you really want one, get in the game and start the process. There are plenty of people here willing to offer advice and help if you are serious about it.

hawk1
11-10-2011, 8:49 PM

Don't expect them to ever be handed out like candy. If you really want one, get in the game and start the process. There are plenty of people here willing to offer advice and help if you are serious about it.

Updates for Riverside County are now supposed to be considered candy? He wasn't asking for a CCW free pass.
This forum is here for exactly that, information.

lawaia
11-10-2011, 8:54 PM
Updates for Riverside County are now supposed to be considered candy? He wasn't asking for a CCW free pass.
Please get off your high horse. This forum is here for exactly that, information.

If you have nothing to offer then stfu. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm. OK. I thought I just extended my hand. I meant ltc's won't be handed out like candy, not the information. No high horse here. I guess I just have nothing to offer.:rolleyes:

hawk1
11-10-2011, 9:02 PM
The forum was set up for "Information on how to get a LTC in your County".
He was only asking for updates and I assume it was updates as to CGF handling/posting of Riverside County good cause statements.

lawaia
11-10-2011, 9:18 PM
The forum was set up for "Information on how to get a LTC in your County".
He was only asking for updates and I assume it was updates as to CGF handling/posting of Riverside County good cause statements.

He said he "really wants to apply". I was trying to make the point that he should. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

covertcombatant
11-11-2011, 7:48 AM
Thanks for the offer to help me with my good cause statement. I appreciate both of your help. If the offer is still there, I will pm you as I have some questions.

My original post was looking to see if any updates were available so I could see others good cause statements and see if mine is "worthwhile".

hawk1
11-11-2011, 7:51 AM
He said he "really wants to apply". I was trying to make the point that he should. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

No apologies needed. I think when you wrote in the 10/19 post above;

I emailed Brandon yesterday, and he is still waiting to hear from Riverside. Said he expects something soon.

People are holding off to see if they need to re-shape their GC.

I may have been a bit harsh as well with my reply. This state is frustrating to say the least...

lawaia
11-11-2011, 9:55 AM
Thanks for the offer to help me with my good cause statement. I appreciate both of your help. If the offer is still there, I will pm you as I have some questions.

My original post was looking to see if any updates were available so I could see others good cause statements and see if mine is "worthwhile".

Answered your PM.

No apologies needed. I think when you wrote in the 10/19 post above;

People are holding off to see if they need to re-shape their GC.

I may have been a bit harsh as well with my reply. This state is frustrating to say the least...

No worries. Trust me, I'd love to see those GC statements, and I understand peoples' hesitation to apply. It frustrates me trying to convince people that our CCW Unit really WANTS people to apply and get LTC's. That seems to be a tough concept to accept after all of the generally negative publicity surrounding the LTC process in our state.

Sometimes I tend to take the tough-love approach with folks.;)

6sN7s
11-12-2011, 4:43 PM
Answered your PM.

No worries. Trust me, I'd love to see those GC statements, and I understand peoples' hesitation to apply. It frustrates me trying to convince people that our CCW Unit really WANTS people to apply and get LTC's. That seems to be a tough concept to accept after all of the generally negative publicity surrounding the LTC process in our state.

Sometimes I tend to take the tough-love approach with folks.;)

I would have to agree, they were great with me when I did mine, I am still waiting on my reply Nov, 24 will be 90 day mark for me.

cindynles
11-13-2011, 6:43 PM
Answered your PM.
It frustrates me trying to convince people that our CCW Unit really WANTS people to apply and get LTC's. That seems to be a tough concept to accept after all of the generally negative publicity surrounding the LTC process in our state.

I have to disagree with you. When I went in for my interview the CCW unit tried very hard to discourage me from submitting my application. Couple that with the fact that they are still not following the law (insisting that you pay for the training and complete the range qualification BEFORE they will submit you application) and you get a CCW unit that doesn't seem to want regular people to apply.

I know that my good cause was not the most compelling in the world, but I also have it on very good authority that LTCs were issued to others with a very similar good cause.

Riverside County requires that you play the game their way if you want a LTC. There is a reason that there are only 423 active permits in a county with over 1.5 million residents.

lawaia
11-13-2011, 7:22 PM
I have to disagree with you. When I went in for my interview the CCW unit tried very hard to discourage me from submitting my application. Couple that with the fact that they are still not following the law (insisting that you pay for the training and complete the range qualification BEFORE they will submit you application) and you get a CCW unit that doesn't seem to want regular people to apply.

I know that my good cause was not the most compelling in the world, but I also have it on very good authority that LTCs were issued to others with a very similar good cause.

Riverside County requires that you play the game their way if you want a LTC. There is a reason that there are only 423 active permits in a county with over 1.5 million residents.

I really do feel for your frustrating situation. However, current evidence provided to us courtesy of CGF shows that RivCo is on track for an 89% increase in issuance from 2010 to 2011.

You continue to try to discourage others from applying, in spite of evidence to the contrary. What is your goal here?

Clownpuncher
11-13-2011, 7:33 PM
I really do feel for your frustrating situation. However, current evidence provided to us courtesy of CGF shows that RivCo is on track for an 89% increase in issuance from 2010 to 2011.

You continue to try to discourage others from applying, in spite of evidence to the contrary. What is your goal here?

While any increase is great I tend to take percentage increases with a grain of salt. Kind of like crime statistics.... if your city had 1 killing last year and has had 2 this year that is a 100% increase. If the 423 number is accurate, that is pretty pathetic. Just sayin.

cindynles
11-13-2011, 8:24 PM

My goal is to shine some light on the process in Riverside County.

I want people to understand that Riverside county does not follow the law (requires additional forms not autorized by law, requires payment for training prior to good cause evaluation).

I want people to understand that the perception that it is easy to get at LTC in Riverside county is wrong. While there may be an increase in the number of LTCs in Riverside county, the fact remains that Riverside (0.273%) is still worse than San Diego (0.302%).

My goal is to present all the facts to anyone who is considering applying in Riverside county.

Obvisously your experience with the CCW unit was different than mine, but that does not change my experience. Lets get all the facts out in the open and let people decide for themselfs if they are willing risk about $300 and 2 days off work.

lawaia
11-14-2011, 7:57 AM
My goal is to shine some light on the process in Riverside County.

I want people to understand that Riverside county does not follow the law (requires additional forms not autorized by law, requires payment for training prior to good cause evaluation).

I want people to understand that the perception that it is easy to get at LTC in Riverside county is wrong. While there may be an increase in the number of LTCs in Riverside county, the fact remains that Riverside (0.273%) is still worse than San Diego (0.302%).

My goal is to present all the facts to anyone who is considering applying in Riverside county.

Obvisously your experience with the CCW unit was different than mine, but that does not change my experience. Lets get all the facts out in the open and let people decide for themselfs if they are willing risk about $300 and 2 days off work.

Let's look at your statements above one by one.

RivCo does not REQUIRE the additional forms. They ask for the additional information to help them make a decision. You are free to decline filling in the information.

RivCo has changed their fee structure (thanks to CGF) to comply with the law.

I have never claimed that it was "easy" to get a LTC in RivCo. I tell people that it is POSSIBLE to get one, if they are willing to put in the work.

Yes, total issuance numbers are low, but you cannot deny that the 89% increase in the last year is an indicator that things are changing. If RivCo was not issuing more openly, there is no way you would see that sharp of an increase. And San Diego is only on track for a maximum 7% increase. Current standing is a decrease of 1%. How long will that progress keep them in front of RivCo?

Yes, our personal experiences were different. I went in with the goal of obtaining a permit. You seem to have gone in with the intention of bucking the system. I'm not implying that you were wrong in your approach. If reform was your goal, you probably helped in that. Just don't act surprised at the outcome.

So, now that you have gotten all of the facts out in the open, what will your approach be? You can continue to nay-say, but what are you really accomplishing? How is that helping anyone that truly wants or needs a permit?

I choose to let people know that it is POSSIBLE get a permit if they put in the effort. Maybe they have to conform to the system a little. Maybe they have to jump through a couple of hoops. Maybe there is some risk. Keep in mind that for some people, these small sacrifices are worth going through. For those that REALLY want a permit, I offer to help them to the best of my ability.

cindynles
11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Let's look at your statements above one by one.

RivCo does not REQUIRE the additional forms. They ask for the additional information to help them make a decision. You are free to decline filling in the information.
Declining to fill out the additional form almost guarentees you will be denied. So are you really free to decline?

RivCo has changed their fee structure (thanks to CGF) to comply with the law.
Strange that members are still reporting that they are being required to complete the training class before their good cause is evaluated. This is a violation of 12050(a)(1)(E)(i).

I have never claimed that it was "easy" to get a LTC in RivCo. I tell people that it is POSSIBLE to get one, if they are willing to put in the work.
You advocate working the system, thats great for those that can, but it still requires that you come up with an acceptable good cause. Lets be honest, 99% of us don't have a good cause that is acceptable. Most of us don't have active threats, carry large amounts of cash, or collect rent in bad areas (when I took the CCW class we all talked about our good cause at the break and ever single one, except me, was related to threats or money). Most of us are normal citizens with normal jobs and normal lives. Can you honestly say that a normal person can come up with an acceptable good cause with out stretching the truth?

Will Riverside county issue to normal, non connected citizens: Yes. But, and this is a big but, you still have to have a good cause that is acceptable to Sheriff Sniff. This is the point I am trying to make. You have to play the game in Riverside county. I don't have an acceptable good cause and I'm not willing to "craft" one. The statement that you made about the CCW unit wanting people to apply is wrong in my experience (Dept. Yezzo sure didn't want me to apply). If they wanted people to apply they would at least follow the law.

You advocate playing by the unfair and unlawful rules of Riverside county in order to secure an LTC (that great for those few it will work for). I want everyone to know that Riverside county is using unfair and unlawful rules in the hopes that things will change and ALL residents will have the ability to obtain an LTC.

lawaia
11-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Declining to fill out the additional form almost guarentees you will be denied. So are you really free to decline?

Strange that members are still reporting that they are being required to complete the training class before their good cause is evaluated. This is a violation of 12050(a)(1)(E)(i).

You advocate working the system, thats great for those that can, but it still requires that you come up with an acceptable good cause. Lets be honest, 99% of us don't have a good cause that is acceptable. Most of us don't have active threats, carry large amounts of cash, or collect rent in bad areas (when I took the CCW class we all talked about our good cause at the break and ever single one, except me, was related to threats or money). Most of us are normal citizens with normal jobs and normal lives. Can you honestly say that a normal person can come up with an acceptable good cause with out stretching the truth?

Will Riverside county issue to normal, non connected citizens: Yes. But, and this is a big but, you still have to have a good cause that is acceptable to Sheriff Sniff. This is the point I am trying to make. You have to play the game in Riverside county. I don't have an acceptable good cause and I'm not willing to "craft" one. The statement that you made about the CCW unit wanting people to apply is wrong in my experience (Dept. Yezzo sure didn't want me to apply). If they wanted people to apply they would at least follow the law.

You advocate playing by the unfair and unlawful rules of Riverside county in order to secure an LTC (that great for those few it will work for). I want everyone to know that Riverside county is using unfair and unlawful rules in the hopes that things will change and ALL residents will have the ability to obtain an LTC.

None of the people I have given advice to have had anything about active threats, carrying large amounts of cash, or collecting rent in their GC's.

I do not advocate playing by unlawful or "unfair" (whatever that means) rules. I advocate people getting their LTC. Period.

Look, I have not had a single person come back to me and say that my advice was crap. I have not heard from anyone that I have advised that they were denied. When I start to get feedback that my advice is ineffective or incorrect, I will stop giving it. Bottom line.

You seem to make your analysis based on your situation alone. I am making mine based on input from many sources. And I will continue to evaluate my stance as time passes, based on new and relevant input.

BTW, you don't have to "craft" an untrue GC. Just look at what parts of your life will fit with what the RCSO wants to see. I NEVER advocate lying to ANYONE!

SoCal Gunner
11-29-2011, 9:07 AM
Any news on Riverside's Good Cause Statements?
Were they ever released? If so, do we have people going through them?

Hakoomay
11-30-2011, 9:09 PM
Im waiting too are there any updates?

longbeachskater
12-17-2011, 6:24 PM
I was robbed at gun point this past april in la quinta and the guys got my license and info from my wallet and are out on bail waiting for trial. I am currently awaiting a letter of recomendation from the assistant D.A in indio for my ccw...ive just completed my application and will keep you updated

Dtt255
12-17-2011, 6:32 PM
I was robbed at gun point this past april in la quinta and the guys got my license and info from my wallet and are out on bail waiting for trial. I am currently awaiting a letter of recomendation from the assistant D.A in indio for my ccw...ive just completed my application and will keep you updated

Sorry to hear about that situation. We JUST got a new Indio PD Chief...so maybe that will be a good thing....but if he is like the last one, I am sorry to say it is not a good situation for you to get yoru permit in Indio.

I got mine form Riverside County since I started posting in this thread. Took 15 1/2 weeks from the day I handed in the app to the day I picked it up.

longbeachskater
12-17-2011, 7:07 PM
Sorry to hear about that situation. We JUST got a new Indio PD Chief...so maybe that will be a good thing....but if he is like the last one, I am sorry to say it is not a good situation for you to get yoru permit in Indio.

I got mine form Riverside County since I started posting in this thread. Took 15 1/2 weeks from the day I handed in the app to the day I picked it up.

Yea it was ****ty but its ok the scorpion task force from indio was on it they were awesome guys to say the least but yea I had not heard we got a new chief thats cool... I sincerely hope he's not like the last one either...But with that said im hoping the letter from the assistant d.a and what I believe to be good cause work in my favor

383green
12-17-2011, 7:09 PM

I'm happy to hear that you got it, but I think that processing time is ridiculous. If a person chose to pursue obtaining an LTC because (s)he got into a situation like longbeachskater's, then being unable to legally carry a weapon for self-defense for several months in the face of a clear and present danger would be unconscionable.

inbox485
12-19-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm happy to hear that you got it, but I think that processing time is ridiculous. If a person chose to pursue obtaining an LTC because (s)he got into a situation like longbeachskater's, then being unable to legally carry a weapon for self-defense for several months in the face of a clear and present danger would be unconscionable.

That is why you get a restraining order...

383green
12-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Exactly how does a restraining order prevent a criminal from murdering you?

inbox485
12-19-2011, 11:35 AM
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12025.5.html

and

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12031.html ((j)(2) near the bottom)

If you have a RO, and truly fear for your life, you carry the stupid gun, and keep your mouth shut about it. Ideally nobody ever knows about it, and you never need it. If you need it, you won't regret having it. If you somehow screw up, forget that concealed means concealed, and have to explain yourself to an officer, have the RO and a copy of the laws with you. If that officer wants to be an Adam Henry, you hope the DA has better sense. Worst case the jury gets black and white instructions saying you had justification to violate the sections, and even if you get 12 blithering morons that convict you anyway, you are looking at 2 non-prohibiting misdemeanors that are normally about $600 each and no jail time for first offenses. A winning the lottery type odds risk of a $1200 fine would be an after thought if I thought I had a stalker to deal with.

lawaia
12-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Exactly how does a restraining order prevent a criminal from murdering you?

12025.5. (a) A violation of Section 12025 is justifiable when a person who possesses a firearm reasonably believes that he or she is in grave danger because of circumstances forming the basis of a current restraining order issued by a court against another person or persons who has or have been found to pose a threat to his or her life or safety. This section may not apply when the circumstances involve a mutual restraining order issued pursuant to Division 10 (commencing with Section 6200) of the Family Code absent a factual finding of a specific threat to the person's life or safety. It is not the intent of the Legislature to limit, restrict, or narrow the application of current statutory or judicial authority to apply this or other justifications to defendants charged with violating Section 12025 or of committing other similar offenses.
(b) Upon trial for violating Section 12025, the trier of fact shall determine whether the defendant was acting out of a reasonable belief that he or she was in grave danger.

383green
12-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

FERGUSON
12-19-2011, 1:12 PM
ANY UPDATES, IVE BEEN WAITING LONGER THAN TWO WEEKS!

WarriorNetwork
12-20-2011, 9:01 PM
Good day all,
After reading quite a few different articles and reasons for approval denial, I was wanting to know what you think about these reasons. Thank you all for your time and your opinions regarding my GC.

For my job, both in the Military and my privately owned company, I drive over 150 miles per day, often times through areas that are not ideally safe. The hours of both jobs regularly have me on the road before 5am and after 9pm. I also regularly travel to Las Vegas, NV with several firearms for Range Matches and Shows. I bring my wife and son with me on these trips. These long hours on the road, with several firearms, make myself and my family a susceptible target for anyone who knows when those matches or shows will be. My reason for requesting a concealed carry permit is to protect my property, which in turn will protect others, and to also protect my family when traveling.

MacOtac
12-20-2011, 9:12 PM
Just got my permit... They left a message last night saying, "Come get it!" Woo Woo!

Haters gonna hate!

DevilDawgJJ
01-07-2012, 7:31 AM
Good day all,
After reading quite a few different articles and reasons for approval denial, I was wanting to know what you think about these reasons. Thank you all for your time and your opinions regarding my GC.

My reason for requesting a concealed carry permit is to protect my property, which in turn will protect others, and to also protect my family when traveling.

I would omit the protect others portion!! That's not your job, and frankly speaking, it makes you sound like LEO's aren't capable of doing their jobs. Not good....Stick to the facts.

WarriorNetwork
01-07-2012, 8:21 AM
I would omit the protect others portion!! That's not your job, and frankly speaking, it makes you sound like LEO's aren't capable of doing their jobs. Not good....Stick to the facts.

Thanks, you're right that it should not be in there. Even if it is true.

lawaia
01-07-2012, 8:56 AM
WN, sent you a PM.

bosshog69
01-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Are we required to fill out the additional 3 pages that the Riverside county adds to the CCW application?

lawaia
01-20-2012, 8:24 AM
Are we required to fill out the additional 3 pages that the Riverside county adds to the CCW application?

Required? No.

RivCoFireman
01-25-2012, 5:18 PM
Riv Co good cause statements???

cindynles
01-25-2012, 7:06 PM
Riv Co good cause statements???

:twoweeks:

bigcasino
01-31-2012, 2:59 AM
Hi all. I am kind of new to the CA LTC thing. I moved to CA from IN back in 2001 and untill now didnt follow much CA gun laws (more than to make sure I was with in the law and legal). Back in IN i had a CCW but was always told that you couldnt get one in CA now from what I am reading it is possable to get a LTC here. I live in Riverside and now I am thinking of applying later this year. I have been trying to read as much as I can on how it all works. Could domeone walk me thru the process or maybe refer me to other websites that could be helpful for me to prepair for this. Thanks for all the help

davbog44
01-31-2012, 4:46 AM
Hi all. I am kind of new to the CA LTC thing. I moved to CA from IN back in 2001 and untill now didnt follow much CA gun laws (more than to make sure I was with in the law and legal). Back in IN i had a CCW but was always told that you couldnt get one in CA now from what I am reading it is possable to get a LTC here. I live in Riverside and now I am thinking of applying later this year. I have been trying to read as much as I can on how it all works. Could domeone walk me thru the process or maybe refer me to other websites that could be helpful for me to prepair for this. Thanks for all the help

Probably the best route to go is to join over at CalCCW, go to the County Specific FAQ for Riverside and read through that, and follow the steps outlined. But in a nutshell it goes like this:

1) Download the application from the RCSD website. Go through it, fill it out.
2) Assemble ALL of the documents they ask for. When that's all good to go ...
3) Call the CCW Unit and make an appointment, and go get your two cashier's checks.
4) Be prompt and squared away for your interview. It is fairly informal and they will not put you in the "hot seat."
5) If you and your GC appear good to go, they will schedule you for Livescan, and your app will be sent over to Admin for processing.
6) You have the option of doing your training on your own or waiting until your file comes back from Admin and they will schedule you there at Ben Clark. They will also schedule your range qualification.

If you need help with your GC, PM Riverside County members over there at CalCCW or here. My experience is that those who have made it successfully through the process are very willing to help.

Sheriff Sniff has made great improvements to the process. I know many would like to see a GC standard more like that of San Bernardino where PP is allowed as good cause, but one thing that I am confident in saying is that the politics have been taken out of the process. The Sheriff does not issue to the "connected" while denying regular citizens. You meet the standard or you don't. The staff he has put in place for the CCW Unit is outstanding.

Finally, do not be nervous, and do not procrastinate. I say don't be nervous because the Deputies at the CCW Unit are really great guys who will treat you with professional courtesy and respect, and are really very willing to help where they can. And I say don't procrastinate because the Sheriff IS ISSUING permits and the CCW Unit is getting busier. At present it takes 2-3 months start to finish.

dave3223
01-31-2012, 5:10 PM

Probably the best route to go is to join over at CalCCW, go to the County Specific FAQ for Riverside and read through that, and follow the steps outlined. But in a nutshell it goes like this:

1) Download the application from the RCSD website. Go through it, fill it out.
2) Assemble ALL of the documents they ask for. When that's all good to go ...
3) Call the CCW Unit and make an appointment, and go get your two cashier's checks.
4) Be prompt and squared away for your interview. It is fairly informal and they will not put you in the "hot seat."
5) If you and your GC appear good to go, they will schedule you for Livescan, and your app will be sent over to Admin for processing.
6) You have the option of doing your training on your own or waiting until your file comes back from Admin and they will schedule you there at Ben Clark. They will also schedule your range qualification.

If you need help with your GC, PM Riverside County members over there at CalCCW or here. My experience is that those who have made it successfully through the process are very willing to help.

Sheriff Sniff has made great improvements to the process. I know many would like to see a GC standard more like that of San Bernardino where PP is allowed as good cause, but one thing that I am confident in saying is that the politics have been taken out of the process. The Sheriff does not issue to the "connected" while denying regular citizens. You meet the standard or you don't. The staff he has put in place for the CCW Unit is outstanding.

Finally, do not be nervous, and do not procrastinate. I say don't be nervous because the Deputies at the CCW Unit are really great guys who will treat you with professional courtesy and respect, and are really very willing to help where they can. And I say don't procrastinate because the Sheriff IS ISSUING permits and the CCW Unit is getting busier. At present it takes 2-3 months start to finish.

Thank you davbogg44!

This was an excellent response to the question posed. Although you don't realize it, I do appreciate the quick, concise, and helpful information in your post.

dave3223

camron882
01-31-2012, 6:39 PM
would this be GC?

I have the article from the DoD printed at work regarding the crips givin the ok to shoot any active duty military and was wondering if this could be used as GC fr a CCW since it is a DIRECT threat to anyone in the military.....we all have decals and some of us do wear our uniforms home.....

camron882
01-31-2012, 6:39 PM
would this be GC?

I have the article from the DoD printed at work regarding the crips givin the ok to shoot any active duty military and was wondering if this could be used as GC fr a CCW since it is a DIRECT threat to anyone in the military.....we all have decals and some of us do wear our uniforms home.....

valkylrie
02-08-2012, 12:55 PM
The waiting is killing me. I would like to talk to some people like that know what good causes work and are acceptable, to share my reasons with and see if I cant get one crafted that is acceptable and honest. If your one of those people or have information on other accepted good causes please PM me to discuss and craft.

DrDavid
02-09-2012, 1:00 PM
I live in Riverside county (not the city), and am going to be filing a CCW with the sheriff's office shortly.

Can anyone give me any tips and/or advice on dealing with them? Is it as easy to get as I've read? or are there any issues that would cause problems?

I'm clean as a whistle. Not even any tickets...

Any insights would be welcome :)

DrDavid
02-09-2012, 1:37 PM
Just a few follow up questions...

For the reference letters.. Can they be from clients? I know it can't be from an employer, but clients aren't employing me (but, they do pay me...)

Fees.. Can you really only use money orders/certified check? Personal checks aren't ok? Cash?

Training... I know the place in Yorba Linda is $179, but what if I take it at the sheriffs office? Does anyone know the cost for that?

Guns... I've modified my XD to add Trijicon sites. But, I'll be qualifying it with the sites on it already.. I assume that's ok, right?

What is the process to add a new gun? My thought is that once I get the ccw, I'll probably want to be a compact to carry.. I know I need to qualify with it, but, is that it? Fees?

lawaia
02-09-2012, 1:48 PM
Just a few follow up questions...

For the reference letters.. Can they be from clients? I know it can't be from an employer, but clients aren't employing me (but, they do pay me...)

Fees.. Can you really only use money orders/certified check? Personal checks aren't ok? Cash?

Training... I know the place in Yorba Linda is $179, but what if I take it at the sheriffs office? Does anyone know the cost for that?

Guns... I've modified my XD to add Trijicon sites. But, I'll be qualifying it with the sites on it already.. I assume that's ok, right?

What is the process to add a new gun? My thought is that once I get the ccw, I'll probably want to be a compact to carry.. I know I need to qualify with it, but, is that it? Fees?

Letters from clients should be OK.

Money order/certified checks only.

I believe the training with RCSO is only $100. It is a four hour class if I remember correctly.

You have to get approval for weapon modifications from the RCSO range master when you qualify. Sight changes are no problem. In fact, probably not even worth bringing up to him.

I think it's $10 to add a gun. You have to qualify with it, and then come back at a later date to pick up your new card. I believe there is information on this in the application packet.

lawaia
02-09-2012, 1:53 PM
I live in Riverside county (not the city), and am going to be filing a CCW with the sheriff's office shortly. I have an interview scheduled March 5, 2012...

Can anyone give me any tips and/or advice on dealing with them? Is it as easy to get as I've read? or are there any issues that would cause problems?

I'm clean as a whistle. Not even any tickets...

Any insights would be welcome :)

The interview is very laid back and straight forward. They will go over your application packet with you. It's definitely NOT an interrogation process. Be yourself, be polite, and dress like a respectable person would. From your screen name, I'm assuming this won't be a problem for you.:)

I was in the office once with a kid waiting for his interview, and he was shaking so badly he wouldn't have been able to hold a cup of coffee. I felt real bad for the kid. Nothing worth getting that worked up over.:)

DrDavid
02-09-2012, 1:55 PM
Thanks lawaia!

One other question though.. I was planning on making my GC statement based on my business and carrying expensive computers, etc.. But, should I also include the words personal protection and the fact that I enjoy going to the range often and shooting? (I.e. avid gun shooter)

DrDavid
02-09-2012, 1:57 PM
From your screen name, I'm assuming this won't be a problem for you.:)
actually, not a doctor.. The "Dr" is a bit of an inside joke from years ago, but the name has stuck with me for a while on multiple forums. I'm a network engineer/web designer.. But, I can still pull of respectable too :)

lawaia
02-09-2012, 2:16 PM
Thanks lawaia!

One other question though.. I was planning on making my GC statement based on my business and carrying expensive computers, etc.. But, should I also include the words personal protection and the fact that I enjoy going to the range often and shooting? (I.e. avid gun shooter)

Your GC statement sounds like it will be strong. You do not need to use the specific words "personal protection". I would probably opt for something more like "for protection against serious bodily harm or death to myself or family at the hands of another person". Well, maybe not those exact words, but you get the point.

The beauty of RCSO is that they want you to list everything that is applicable to why you want the license. You are not "limited" to just one GC item. List them all. It only gives the admin more "ammunition" for your approval. You can use going to the range in your GC if you want. You do transport valuable guns there and back, afterall.

Definitely list the range time in your level of firearms handling experience, and tell them approximately how often you go. Give them confidence in your abilities.

Best of luck to you!

DrDavid
02-12-2012, 2:54 PM
Curious about qualifying.. It says you need a holster that can retain the gun... Does a friction retainer work? Or do I need to buy a Serpa or something similar prior to the qualifying?

Also, the 70% pass grade.. I'm slightly nervous about hitting bullseyes at 15yds.. How big of a target do you need to hit? Any advice on what I should be using to practice/train before having to qualify?

lawaia
02-12-2012, 7:58 PM
Curious about qualifying.. It says you need a holster that can retain the gun... Does a friction retainer work? Or do I need to buy a Serpa or something similar prior to the qualifying?

Also, the 70% pass grade.. I'm slightly nervous about hitting bullseyes at 15yds.. How big of a target do you need to hit? Any advice on what I should be using to practice/train before having to qualify?

I have used an MTAC and a plain kydex holster. I've never gone with an actual "retention device". Use what you have.

The qualifying target is a full-size human silhouette. If I remember correctly, the target looks something like this one: http://americantargetcompany.com/LA_P1_target.asp

If you can hit a human-size head at 10 yards, you will do just fine. The best advice I have heard is, "just don't shoot Sgt. Hoover." :eek:

There is no time limit. Sgt Hoover will likely tell you to take your time and get your hits. Nothing to really worry about.

DrDavid
02-12-2012, 8:17 PM
I have used an MTAC and a plain kydex holster. I've never gone with an actual "retention device". Use what you have.
Hopefully the Holster that comes with the XD will suffice. I'd hate to buy a really nice holster for IWB carry and not get the CCW issued. :eek:

Still, I think I might be hitting the range a few more times before I have to qualify; just to make sure I can hit the targets at 15yds. I'm sure I'm totally worrying for nothing..

Thanks for the insight. Makes me feel better.. I thought I'd have to hit a small bullseye or something like that.. LOL

SublimeJJ99
02-16-2012, 7:43 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm quite suprised at some of the posts in this thread. I've always thought of applying for a CCL but held back due to the states stance on firearms in general. This thread has given me hope and I will pursue obtaining a CCL. Thanks to everyone that posts in these forums. This information is very useful. I also am an avid shooter. I go to the range a couple times a month and I also hunt game birds in season. I see that there are a few that are willing to help with wording good cause statements and I'd like to ask someone to look at mine when I'm done with it. I'm not asking to have my hand held through the process...just some advice. I still have some questions for the CCW unit that I'm writing down and also reasons that might give me GC to have a LTC. Thanks again everyone!

lawaia
02-17-2012, 8:33 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm quite suprised at some of the posts in this thread. I've always thought of applying for a CCL but held back due to the states stance on firearms in general. This thread has given me hope and I will pursue obtaining a CCL. Thanks to everyone that posts in these forums. This information is very useful. I also am an avid shooter. I go to the range a couple times a month and I also hunt game birds in season. I see that there are a few that are willing to help with wording good cause statements and I'd like to ask someone to look at mine when I'm done with it. I'm not asking to have my hand held through the process...just some advice. I still have some questions for the CCW unit that I'm writing down and also reasons that might give me GC to have a LTC. Thanks again everyone!

Welcome to the forums, and best of luck to you!

lhecker51
02-17-2012, 11:31 AM
I have a question I need help with: I live in Corona. The Riverside County policy states I must apply there first, and if denied, then apply to Riverside County. Will I have to pay an additional $200 in fees if I am denied and must reapply with the county? I know that Sheriff Sniff is in alignment with the council recommendation to accept personal protection as a GC, but will the Corona Chief of Police? The State of California policy is to apply to the Sheriff and does not mention the city being any part of the process, to my knowledge.

lawaia
02-17-2012, 1:07 PM
I have a question I need help with: I live in Corona. The Riverside County policy states I must apply there first, and if denied, then apply to Riverside County. Will I have to pay an additional $200 in fees if I am denied and must reapply with the county? I know that Sheriff Sniff is in alignment with the council recommendation to accept personal protection as a GC, but will the Corona Chief of Police? The State of California policy is to apply to the Sheriff and does not mention the city being any part of the process, to my knowledge.

You need to call the RCSO CCW Unit & ask them if you can apply directly to RCSO without getting a denial from the City first. Then post your results back here so those inquiring in the future will find the answer.:)

If you have to pay the City to apply first, you will lose those fees upon denial. If RCSO tells you to apply to the City first, you might try to get a letter of denial from the City without having to actually apply and pay fees.

I have not heard of anyone getting a LTC issued from the Corona CoP.

GixxerGuy
02-18-2012, 9:11 PM
Hello all, Im new to this site. Thank you for all the knowledge and information provided in this thread. I live in Riverside (city) and have been wanting to get a CCW for years but always thought it was basically impossible. I am a business owner and make large deposits as well as carry refrigerant for A/C's that has been known to be used as an inhalant to "get high" as well as working in very sketchy parts of time and during late hours. Im hoping, and from what it sounds like, i might have enough of a case to get approved.

I will be starting the process shortly!

SublimeJJ99
02-23-2012, 6:04 PM
I've tried calling the CCW Unit on 3 different occasions now with no response. I left a message once and no returned call. I just have a few questions that I'd like to ask them before submitting my application. I'm hoping that it's due to the holidays and they'll get back to me next week. I'll keep trying them though.

scoutpup99
02-23-2012, 6:30 PM
You need to call the RCSO CCW Unit & ask them if you can apply directly to RCSO without getting a denial from the City first. Then post your results back here so those inquiring in the future will find the answer.:)

If you have to pay the City to apply first, you will lose those fees upon denial. If RCSO tells you to apply to the City first, you might try to get a letter of denial from the City without having to actually apply and pay fees.

I have not heard of anyone getting a LTC issued from the Corona CoP.

You can apply directly to the County if you want. You do not need a denial first. Try calling 951-486-2856. If they don't answer leave a message, Deputy Yezzo or Deputy Aguire will call you back.

GixxerGuy
02-29-2012, 7:05 AM
#Sublime.....any luck yet? Im looking to start the process in the next month or so

SublimeJJ99
02-29-2012, 12:32 PM
#Sublime.....any luck yet? Im looking to start the process in the next month or so

I'm still crafting my GC Statement and I've yet to talk to the CCW Unit. My need for a CCW has nothing to do with my job or owning a business and I need it for other reasons. I just have to clarify why those reasons are good enough for a CCW. I have everything else ready to go though.

GixxerGuy
02-29-2012, 2:24 PM
I meant in terms of getting in contact with them via telephone???

SublimeJJ99
02-29-2012, 4:59 PM

Oh yeah...they called me back. Give them a call and if they don't answer, just leave a message and they'll call you back.

SublimeJJ99
02-29-2012, 5:00 PM

Oh yeah...they called me back. Give them a call and if they don't answer, just leave a message and they'll get back to you.

45DAVID1
03-02-2012, 5:27 AM
I'm going to apply when I get back from military duty. My GC is pretty solid but I'd like opinions/feedback on it. Here it goes:

I would like a concealed carry permit for protection against serious bodily harm or death to myself or family. I currently work at XXXXX Police Department in the XXXX Division in a non-sworn capacity. I have worked for XXXXX Police Department since January 2007. My Department has a policy of only issuing to sworn personnel. Working in XXXXX Division I am one of the first people the general public comes in contact to once released from custody. The majority of these individuals are visibly angry, hostile and have the potential to pose a significant threat to myself and my family.

GixxerGuy
03-02-2012, 7:49 AM
Sounds like a good GC to me... but then again i havent gone through the process yet, nor have as much experience as some of the other guys on this forum. Best of luck to you, and keep us updated!!!

postal
03-02-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm about to apply in Riverside, I downloaded the PDF application, but I cant type in the information on the computer. Is there a way to do that? My hand writing is sloppy, doing it on computer would be much better.

Thanks

DrDavid
03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm about to apply in Riverside, I downloaded the PDF application, but I cant type in the information on the computer. Is there a way to do that? My hand writing is sloppy, doing it on computer would be much better.

Thanks

I own a copy of the Full Adobe Acrobat X Pro; so, I just made my own form.. But, frankly, it's not good enough to share. I just kinda threw it together for my own use.

Maybe if I have time, I'll create a nicer version of it and put it on my website for download :) But, frankly, I'm not sure when I'd have time :(

David

postal
03-03-2012, 9:02 AM
Just found in another thread, ObeyGiant has a working writable pdf.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=353890

DrDavid
03-05-2012, 5:50 PM
Had my interview today.. Dep. Yezzo was very nice.. One would even say it was pleasant! Immediately went to get my live scan done, so, that's done. Only thing left is the training/qualifying and the admin approval.

I just missed this months CCW class at the Sheriff's office, but, given how slow approval is lately, I'm not sure it'll matter that I need to wait until April for the class. I actually do my qualifying in a few weeks (before the safety class).

Anyways, Riverside's CCW process seems quite reasonable to me... I wish the wait wasn't so long, but, otherwise it's good.

GixxerGuy
03-05-2012, 6:04 PM
congrats!!! thanks!!

baseacegoku
03-07-2012, 9:47 AM
So I went to the local police station to get an application for a LTC. And after waiting for a few minutes an officer came out and informed me that the city of Murrieta is NOT issuing LTC applications and is NOT deferring to the county. She told me that unless I live in an unincorporated part of the city I basically cant get one and that the police chief wanted as little LTC permits in his city as possible. WTH!!

DrDavid
03-07-2012, 9:50 AM
So I went to the local police station to get an application for a LTC. And after waiting for a few minutes an officer came out and informed me that the city of Murrieta is NOT issuing LTC applications and is NOT deferring to the county. She told me that unless I live in an unincorporated part of the city I basically cant get one and that the police chief wanted as little LTC permits in his city as possible. WTH!!
Just call up the Sheriff's department and apply directly to them.

HBrebel
03-07-2012, 9:51 AM
An armed peasant will become a free man. Wouldn't want that now would we?

DrDavid
03-07-2012, 9:54 AM
An armed peasant will become a free man. Wouldn't want that now would we?
Free? Isn't that illegal?

baseacegoku
03-07-2012, 9:55 AM
Just call up the Sheriff's department and apply directly to them.

I would if I could, but the city of Murrieta has its own PD and doesn't contract with the county. Therefore I have to get either their application, or they need to differ to the county. The latter of which is what I suspected would happen. Man was I surprised.

DrDavid
03-07-2012, 9:59 AM
I would if I could, but the city of Murrieta has its own PD and doesn't contract with the county. Therefore I have to get either their application, or they need to differ to the county. The latter of which is what I suspected would happen. Man was I surprised.
That's gotta be illegal... You should contact CGF...

DrDavid
03-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Have you tried to call the Sheriff's department? Their website seems to indicate that they can overrule PD's if needed, even if not contracted.

It's worth a call, no?

baseacegoku
03-07-2012, 10:09 AM
That's gotta be illegal... You should contact CGF...

Have you tried to call the Sheriff's department? Their website seems to indicate that they can overrule PD's if needed, even if not contracted.

It's worth a call, no?

I might just do both.

baseacegoku
03-07-2012, 10:13 AM
I will get cleaned up and go ask them again today though. Maybe they will give me the application

lawaia
03-07-2012, 10:37 AM
I will get cleaned up and go ask them again today though. Maybe they will give me the application

You can get the application online at the Riverside County Sheriff's website. Get everything together and call them for an interview appointment. The phone number is on the application.

I believe you can apply with them regardless of the City's stance. You don't need any help from the City of Murrieta, and they can have no impact on your application. They won't even know you are applying.

To hear the Murrieta CoP's stance makes me VERY happy that I carry in his fine city EVERY DAY!:p

baseacegoku
03-07-2012, 11:05 AM
You can get the application online at the Riverside County Sheriff's website. Get everything together and call them for an interview appointment. The phone number is on the application.

I believe you can apply with them regardless of the City's stance. You don't need any help from the City of Murrieta, and they can have no impact on your application. They won't even know you are applying.

To hear the Murrieta CoP's stance makes me VERY happy that I carry in his fine city EVERY DAY!:p

My understanding was that you needed to go to the local PD first. Unless they are contracted out by the SO

lawaia
03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
My understanding was that you needed to go to the local PD first. Unless they are contracted out by the SO

I have been told that is not true with Riverside County.

baseacegoku
03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I have been told that is not true with Riverside County.

calling the SO to ask now

baseacegoku
03-07-2012, 1:45 PM
Ok, talked to MPD again today and she said and I quote "Currently there are no CCW in murrieta" and for good cause "unless there is a threat of serious bodily injury then he won't issue (he being the Chief)" also "transporting weapons, large sums of money or business related causes won't work. As well as personal safety" so basically the city is saying that they "will" issue but you have to have been threatened personally with serious bodily harm. As for going around them I called the SO and the deputy was very nice and instructed me to talk to MPD and call back. Basically I believe I'm screwed unless I can get someone to seriously threaten bodily harm to me. Or I move. :-(

DrDavid
03-07-2012, 1:49 PM
I believe I'm screwed unless I can get someone to seriously threaten bodily harm to me. Or I move. :-(You haven't called the Sheriff's CCW unit back yet and you're already giving up?

baseacegoku
03-07-2012, 1:55 PM
Not giving up yet. Called RSO and the deputy told me to just print of the SO application an bring that to them. :-) a glimmer of hope has appeared.

inbox485
03-07-2012, 3:38 PM

MPD has a long standing reputation as a bunch of LAPD wannabe jack booted thugs. This surprises me not at all. That would be one of those cities where if you had an incident the responding officers would not likely be on your side. Just forget they exist and apply through the county if you think you have the good cause in order.

baseacegoku
03-07-2012, 11:35 PM
So on that note. Has riverside released its good cause statements?

Shoktronic
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm hoping one of the many in this forum will have some good advice for me. I recently move to Romoland 6 months ago. I was previously in Orange County so I didnt even bother trying to get my CCW there. As I understand it Romoland is concidered "county" which means I would apply directly with the RCSD correct?

So my main question has to do with my GCS. I work for a public utility and have direct contact with our customers/residents in all of Riverside County. My job puts me physiclly in these peoples home for service calls and emergency situations. One aditional aspect of my job role is collections on past due accounts. Because many of the accounts I am required to close for non-payment are characters of the unsavory nature & 99.9% confrontational my chances of having a meeting with them again when I am not working is very probable. Would there be some way of wording that into a valid reason? Like most I go to the gun ranges, compete with my firearms & also trade/transport high value coins & collectables.

I'm just looking for some advice at getting it right the first time rather than wasting time and money to get it right.

Thanks for any help provided in advance!

Glock_Toter
03-09-2012, 7:15 AM
When I talked to RSO they said if you are going use work situations for a GCS you will need an approval letter from your employer to carry during business hours. I use to collect large sums in Desert Hot Springs, Indio, Hemet, Anza, Joshua Tree, and my boss still said no.

Shoktronic
03-09-2012, 7:24 AM
I'm not looking to carry during work, thwy give us other non-lethal deterants. My cncern is when I am off hours at the movies or out eating and one of these meth heads starts making problems because of what I did while on the job.

inbox485
03-09-2012, 4:30 PM
I'm not looking to carry during work, thwy give us other non-lethal deterants. My cncern is when I am off hours at the movies or out eating and one of these meth heads starts making problems because of what I did while on the job.

It sounds like you can articulate it just fine. I say go for it. I haven't simply because my good cause statement would basically be "I live in Hemet, and well, it's Hemet so of course I need to be armed", and the RSO sight explicitly states that that type of GCS isn't acceptable.

baseacegoku
03-11-2012, 5:12 PM
Still no info for riverside county?

DrDavid
03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm wondering if we can start a bit of a timeline so others can see how long the process takes. Anyone care to share?

Initial interview: March 5, 2012
Livescan: March 5, 2012 -- automated system said the results were mailed/sent from the DOJ/FBI the same day(!) [But, curiously, the Sheriff's dept. says they haven't yet received the results on March 14, 2012]
Training: March 24/25 at Firearms Training Assoc.

Still waiting on approval from the admin.

cindynles
03-14-2012, 6:47 PM
Applied - Nov 2010
Livescan - Nov 2010
Qualified - Nov 2010
Completed Class - Dec 2010
Denied - Feb 2011

GixxerGuy
03-14-2012, 8:24 PM
Cindy, when was the interview? Care to share your GC statements? Thanks

cindynles
03-15-2012, 9:24 AM
Cindy, when was the interview? Care to share your GC statements? Thanks

Its all in this thread. See posts 19, 30, 52, and 64.

DrDavid
03-15-2012, 9:57 AM
Its all in this thread. See posts 19, 30, 52, and 64.
You said you were appealing the denial.. What happened with that?

DrDavid
03-28-2012, 11:12 AM
I spoke to Dep Yezzo yesterday, and he tells me that the admin has had some "change-ups" in the last little bit.. Reorganization I'm assuming..(?)

I completed my training/qualifications on March 25, and emailed him the certificate that night. He told me that my file was complete and that it might only be a month before the CCW is issued.. That seems faster than what he told me at the start of the process.. So, perhaps Riverside is getting faster at doing CCW approvals? Or..?

FERGUSON
04-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Still waiting on the GC statements. Was told it would be available real soon and that was over 6 months ago...

lawaia
04-02-2012, 6:39 PM
We're all anxiously waiting to see them. I think it is a matter of CGF having bigger fish in the pan right now. Bad for those in RivCo right now, but hopefully better for all of us in the future.:)

SublimeJJ99
04-08-2012, 12:07 AM
I called the CCW Unit last week and talked to Deputy Aguirre. They really want to help people get their permits. I will be setting up an interview soon...hopefully. Just waiting on some paperwork to come in and I'll be good to go. I'm also waiting on a new weapon...something a little more concealable. Will keep the forum posted. I also wanted to thank everyone here. Without the kind words of wisdom and advice, I probably wouldn't have even pursued obtaining a CCW.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

KandyRedCoi
04-08-2012, 12:55 AM
im in Corona but in the "unincorporated" area...and RSO services my are and not corono pd

1. will i have to apply thru rso or corona pd?
2. will the fact that i live in an unincorporated are help me in any way shape or form?
3. oh yea still waiting on the GCS
4. my home is located near the Cleveland National Forest and their are tons of coyotes and once even saw a mountail lion looking animal roaming the neighborhoods...is there a way that i can use that as part of my gsc?

anyway...thanks

ps. funny how its so tough for law abiding citizens to obtain a LTC when the everyday bad guy carries 24/7 anywhere he wants ... fml :(

DrDavid
04-08-2012, 8:55 AM
im in Corona but in the "unincorporated" area...and RSO services my are and not corono pd

2. will the fact that i live in an unincorporated are help me in any way shape or form?
4. my home is located near the Cleveland National Forest and their are tons of coyotes and once even saw a mountail lion looking animal roaming the neighborhoods...is there a way that i can use that as part of my gsc?

anyway...thanks

ps. funny how its so tough for law abiding citizens to obtain a LTC when the everyday bad guy carries 24/7 anywhere he wants ... fml :(
1. Apply directly to the Sheriff
2. See #1
3. Waiting on Good Cause? Just write it! :) It's not hard.. Just don't say, "Personal Protection".
4. See #3.

Call the CCW dept and speak to them. They'll help you.. They want to issue CCW's.. So, just give them some meat on a bone and they'll use that.

KandyRedCoi
04-08-2012, 9:22 AM
gotcha...thank u

lawaia
04-09-2012, 8:09 AM

anyway...thanks

DO NOT use wild animal threats as part of your GC. This seems to be a path to likely denial.

KandyRedCoi
04-09-2012, 9:34 AM
DO NOT use wild animal threats as part of your GC. This seems to be a path to likely denial.
another member actually told me the same thing

so...if not for personal protection, not for wildlife...then what?

gm412
04-09-2012, 10:01 AM
another member actually told me the same thing

so...if not for personal protection, not for wildlife...then what?

Yes then what will work I was going to use the same thing since I go in the country a lot. Figured protecting daughter aginst Mountain Lion attack would help.

SublimeJJ99
04-09-2012, 1:59 PM
Yes then what will work I was going to use the same thing since I go in the country a lot. Figured protecting daughter aginst Mountain Lion attack would help.

I thought it would be a good reason too, but if you read through this forum you'll see that people have been denied for using protection from wildlife as a good cause. They'll just tell you that if you're afraid of Mountain Lions then stay out of wilderness. You're good cause basically has to be a situation that puts you in danger and you cannot avoid.

KandyRedCoi
04-09-2012, 2:04 PM
my house literally backs the cleveland national forest...i can be walking on my sidewalk, taking out trash...then hear/see coyotes and other animals out and about...im not charging into the wilderness,mthe wilderness is going into my neighborhood...then what?

DrDavid
04-09-2012, 2:33 PM
my house literally backs the cleveland national forest...i can be walking on my sidewalk, taking out trash...then hear/see coyotes and other animals out and about...im not charging into the wilderness,mthe wilderness is going into my neighborhood...then what?
You can carry a gun in your home. No problem!

I'd suggest you call the Sheriff's office and see what they think about your GC statement... But, I'd try to come up with something different. Think "protection of property".. Yeah, it's kinda dumb that you can get a LTC for the protection of property (something that you can't claim self-defense on), but NOT for personal protection (something you CAN claim the right to self-defense on).

Bank deposits, transporting expensive equipment, expensive tools, valuable items, etc.. I think (correct me if I'm wrong?) you might be able to claim that you shoot at ranges a LOT and you need to protect the guns themselves from being taken while going to/from the range.

SublimeJJ99
04-09-2012, 2:46 PM
I think (correct me if I'm wrong?) you might be able to claim that you shoot at ranges a LOT and you need to protect the guns themselves from being taken while going to/from the range.

I asked about that when I called the CCW unit. He told me that if you're afraid of your guns being taken, then don't go shooting. I don't think that will work unless you're a competition shooter.

DrDavid
04-09-2012, 2:58 PM
I asked about that when I called the CCW unit. He told me that if you're afraid of your guns being taken, then don't go shooting. I don't think that will work unless you're a competition shooter.

Silly.. :facepalm:

"They don't have a problem with guns.. They just don't want YOU to have a gun..." - Comment made at my CCW class by Bill Murphy.. Kinda appropriate here.

Shoktronic
04-09-2012, 11:20 PM
So let me get this straight. Your saying we can talk to the CCW deputy and give our GCS a dry run on the phone? They aren't gonna give us some backlash saying we are wasting their time? I tried that before with OC and got shut down asap. If so I'm making the call tomorrow! I actually have to do a follow up call with them for my C & R FFL. The deputy I talked to about that seemed really nice.

DrDavid
04-10-2012, 12:07 AM
So let me get this straight. Your saying we can talk to the CCW deputy and give our GCS a dry run on the phone? They aren't gonna give us some backlash saying we are wasting their time? I tried that before with OC and got shut down asap. If so I'm making the call tomorrow! I actually have to do a follow up call with them for my C & R FFL. The deputy I talked to about that seemed really nice.

Your info says you're in OC.. Did you move?

But, yeah.. The deputies are great.. Talk to them. They're pretty easy going..

KandyRedCoi
04-10-2012, 1:09 AM
You can carry a gun in your home. No problem!

I'd suggest you call the Sheriff's office and see what they think about your GC statement... But, I'd try to come up with something different. Think "protection of property".. Yeah, it's kinda dumb that you can get a LTC for the protection of property (something that you can't claim self-defense on), but NOT for personal protection (something you CAN claim the right to self-defense on).

Bank deposits, transporting expensive equipment, expensive tools, valuable items, etc.. I think (correct me if I'm wrong?) you might be able to claim that you shoot at ranges a LOT and you need to protect the guns themselves from being taken while going to/from the range.

1. can i also claim the protection of my dogs? besides my property...there has been a lot of dogs that have "disapperead" in my neighborhood as well

2. can you submit multiple GCS and hope one of them works?

thanks for all your help :)

lawaia
04-10-2012, 9:34 AM
1. can i also claim the protection of my dogs? besides my property...there has been a lot of dogs that have "disapperead" in my neighborhood as well

2. can you submit multiple GCS and hope one of them works?

thanks for all your help :)

1. No, dogs are property. You cannot use deadly force to protect property.
2. Yes, you can include as many items in your GC as you like. I was told the more you have, the better.

"Protection of property" is NOT a valid basis for forming GC. It is not the property itself that you are protecting. You are protecting yourself from the threat and danger created by possessing the property. In other words, protection from the bad guy that would harm you to take your property.