PDA

View Full Version : "Placer *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Gray Peterson
10-14-2010, 10:22 PM
(deleted old info re CGF's old GC statements' link)

Originally Posted by Norcal_Flyfisherman:
FYI, Placer is accepting self defense for cause now. I had a nice letter all typed out and didn't even need it.

Scarecrow Repair
10-18-2010, 7:28 PM

Please forgive me, for I am about to sin ...

That wouldn't be a .... Placer holder .... would it?

I am planning to apply for the CCW on Thursday, if that's the equivalent of three Hail Marys.

JeffCinSac
10-19-2010, 7:52 AM
I am currently licensed in Placer. Standing by to assist as directed.

VTRweasel
10-19-2010, 8:10 AM
Hang Town! :patriot:

Anti-Hero
10-19-2010, 7:53 PM
Hang Town! :patriot:

Is in El Dorado county. :D

VTRweasel
10-20-2010, 6:47 AM
Is in El Dorado county. :D

D'oh.

^was thinking Placerville^

Mstrty
10-20-2010, 6:29 PM
So is placer issuing? "Self defense" or do you need some elaboret GS statement

hylander
10-20-2010, 8:06 PM

Not Elaboret, but you do need a GS statement.
"Self Defense" is not considered GS.

obeygiant
10-20-2010, 8:31 PM

Not Elaboret, but you do need a GS statement.
"Self Defense" is not considered GS.

Did you mean "elaborate" and Good Cause? :confused:

Scarecrow Repair
10-20-2010, 9:06 PM
Does "Live in the boonies and hike a lot" do the trick?

pitchbaby
10-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Does "Live in the boonies and hike a lot" do the trick?

That is not to far off from what my neighbor used to get his... but he tied it to his occupation and BAM... issued 2 weeks later (an actual two weeks in real world... not Calguns time.)

hylander
10-21-2010, 6:48 AM
Did you mean "elaborate" and Good Cause? :confused:

You need good cause, but do not Elaborate it, keep it simple and to the point.
One paragraph, Placer County doen't want your Bio.
After you submit your paperwork you will get an appointment a short interwiew with the Sherriff, where he will ask you for more detail.

calgunner1
10-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Does it help if you are friends with people in the PCSO. (PLACER COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE) Both high and low on the totum? Sgt; Det; Swat Team members;ETC.
If you drop some names, help or hurt?... Any thoughts?

pitchbaby
10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Does it help if you are friends with people in the PCSO. (PLACER COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE) Both high and low on the totum? Sgt; Det; Swat Team members;ETC.
If you drop some names, help or hurt?... Any thoughts?

Don't name drop, but get them to write letters of character. The interviewer there specifically said to me that such things "help".

Scarecrow Repair
10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I tried a holster for a Glock 19, an Uncle Mike's inside the pant model 15, just to see how it would feel, and it was not what I expected. Not only did it feel awkward and uncomfortable from size alone, far more of the gun stuck out over the waistline than I had expected. I also bought a smaller holster for a Beretta Tomcat, even tho I don't have one, just to get an idea of the size difference.

The upshot is that I think I had better get this settled before I submit an app. I'd feel like a fool applying when I don't feel comfortable carrying yet. Heck, if it doesn't even feel comfortable around the house, that's not a good sign :-(

But it certainly would be handier for walking around here than slinging a rifle over my shoulder!

hylander
10-21-2010, 2:48 PM
Don't name drop, but get them to write letters of character. The interviewer there specifically said to me that such things "help".

+1
Name dropping may hurt more than help

downfall
10-21-2010, 6:29 PM
What is the take on Placer County Sherrifs CCW approval rate and good cause requirements?

pitchbaby
10-23-2010, 2:36 PM
What is the take on Placer County Sherrifs CCW approval rate and good cause requirements?

Not sure what the approval rate actually is... but I would imagine it is on the high side. Currently, though... regardless of good cause and otherwise clean record.... if you have too many traffic citations, they won't issue on the grounds that they assume that since you can't follow simple traffic rules, you must be aggressive and/or have little regard for the law in general... even if you have never been arrested for anything at all whatsoever.

I am pretty sure that Calguns has a different take on this opinion. Perhaps in the coming weeks or months, we could be seeing things happen now that all this attention to individual counties is being paid.

pitchbaby
10-23-2010, 2:49 PM
Having gone through this process and seeing others go through it, I thought it might be nice for those of you who are new to it to be brought up to speed on some of the finer details that are good to know when your ready to deal with the county.

The link to the official CCW page for the county is here:
http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/ConcealedWeaponPermit.aspx

The link to get the application is here:
http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/~/media/srf/documents/ccw_app.ashx

The name of the girl to speak to for making an appointment is Jessica. She can be contacted at this number:
530-889-7812

The meeting will be held at:
2929 Richardson Dr
Auburn CA 95603

The interviewer that meets with you at this present time is Retired Captain Karl Fulenwider. From what I understand, he is not on a set schedule, but does do what he can to come in regularly to keep the backlog on applicants from getting too long. It can take about a month from your call to make an appointment to the time you actually meet him. I have heard others say their meetings took longer or less. It's just luck of the draw based on when you call and how busy they are with applicants. You are usually given a number of where you are in line when you make your appointment.
Notable points about the retired captain is that he served on the SWAT team. Also, he was recently highlighted in an article being one of highest paid retiree's in the county. The article can be found here.
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/155497.html

If you are denied, you have the right to make an appeal by submitting a letter to Captain Don Hutchinson. It might even be possible to set a meeting with him according to Jessica, but I have personally not been able to confirm that he will actually take the meeting to review an appeal.

That is pretty much what I know. I hope it can help!

thatrogue
10-27-2010, 3:19 PM
Jessica called and scheduled me today they are currently doing two interviews days on the 4th and 6th of November... she seemed as a matter of fact that she will do my live scan after the interview I'm excited for sure...on a separate note, I was told by Casey Mcpartland during my class that they do not do your live scan and accept your check if they are not going to accept your GC seems fair, although is this known to be true???

pitchbaby
10-27-2010, 3:22 PM
What number in line are you?

Jeremy K.
10-27-2010, 5:41 PM
Can a Roseville resident apply directly to the Placer Co SO?

pitchbaby
10-27-2010, 5:49 PM
Can a Roseville resident apply directly to the Placer Co SO?

Yes

Jeremy K.
10-27-2010, 6:25 PM
Sweet, and thanks for the walk through a couple of posts back pitchbaby. I'll forward the info to my coworker who wants to apply out there and report back on his progress.

pitchbaby
10-27-2010, 6:33 PM
No prob Jeremy...

Thatrogue... yes, this is true... they only bill you for the goods in Placer... VERIFIED.

thatrogue
10-27-2010, 11:28 PM
No prob Jeremy...

Thatrogue... yes, this is true... they only bill you for the goods in Placer... VERIFIED.

sweet... so it's either "sorry" or "let's have Jessica Knock out your livescan"

My number in line was 3 however I turned down a Oct 5th appointment as I had a schedule conflict... total time from 1st call to 1st offer of appointment was less than 4 days... I am extremely pleased with Jessica's professionalism and follow up, cant wait to meet her and the retired captain.:cool2:

You specifically mention traffic citations which I have quite a few Speeding/red light camera/ seat belt/ towing related tickets over the years (drove around 60k miles per year for the last 10 years) and two recently... I have only 2 points currently and need advise on how to address this. On the application It ask's you to mention all citations or accidents, does this include even those that are not currently listed on a "soft pull" from DMV?

pitchbaby
10-27-2010, 11:41 PM
sweet... so it's either "sorry" or "let's have Jessica Knock out your livescan"

My number in line was 3 however I turned down a Oct 5th appointment as I had a schedule conflict... total time from 1st call to 1st offer of appointment was less than 4 days... I am extremely pleased with Jessica's professionalism and follow up, cant wait to meet her and the retired captain.:cool2:

You specifically mention traffic citations which I have quite a few Speeding/red light camera/ seat belt/ towing related tickets over the years (drove around 60k miles per year for the last 10 years) and two recently... I have only 2 points currently and need advise on how to address this. On the application It ask's you to mention all citations or accidents, does this include even those that are not currently listed on a "soft pull" from DMV?

Yup... they don't waste their time or your money if you don't make the cut.

If you don't mind my asking... how is your traffic record? They have a habit of denying for just a few tickets.

thatrogue
10-29-2010, 8:38 AM
Two current points one for towing with only one chain, and another for doing 65 while towing. I have another speeding ticket recently that won't hit a point as I'm doing traffic school.

2 or three other violations over the last 12 years.

pitchbaby
10-29-2010, 8:48 AM
The recent ticket will still need disclosure as they will have a record of it regardless of your traffic school situation. The 65 while towing won't help either. Anything beyond the 5 to 7 year mark won't matter. I believe they have a 7 year history available to them, but the application only asks for 5 years to be disclosed.

It will be interesting to see how Capt. Fulenwider perceives your character with a couple of speeding tickets on there. There is apparently more than one time when he has denied stating that it shows a lack of character... however I would have to venture a guess to say that you are good to go because there are just 2 of them and nothing else of note to go with them. If you had a third speed or perhaps a tailgating or something like that to go with it, I think you would be toast.

Either way, I would be very interested in knowing the outcome of your interview right away. PM me if you want my number. Feel free to pick my brain before going in if you like... hehe! Just remember though... I am average "joe" citizen, so I am no better of a source than your next door neighbor except for I have been through the process before and know others who have as well and have "collected" their stories.

thatrogue
10-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Pm sent PB

thatrogue
10-30-2010, 2:27 PM
Good talking to you PB

pitchbaby
10-30-2010, 2:30 PM
You too... check your PM's

pitchbaby
10-30-2010, 2:32 PM
Please forgive me, for I am about to sin ...

That wouldn't be a .... Placer holder .... would it?

I am planning to apply for the CCW on Thursday, if that's the equivalent of three Hail Marys.

How did it go? You get printed?

thatrogue
10-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Speaking to my CHP officer buddy he states that cell and seat belt tickets are non moving violations and according to the ccw application it specifically states to list moving violations only. So.... I'm not listing these what do you and Gray think?

thebronze
10-31-2010, 10:01 AM
D'oh.

^was thinking Placerville^

Placerville is still in El Dorado County.

Anti-Hero
11-04-2010, 9:07 AM
Speaking to my CHP officer buddy he states that cell and seat belt tickets are non moving violations and according to the ccw application it specifically states to list moving violations only. So.... I'm not listing these what do you and Gray think?

You should certainly disclose this. You will get asked questions that Captain Fulenwider already knows the answer too regarding traffic violations. It's a character test, don't get caught in a lie by omission.

Everyone there is very professional and friendly. Be honest, be professional and everything will be fine.

I should know in two weeks to three months if I am approved. Good luck!

thatrogue
11-07-2010, 9:57 PM
I never suggested lying, I said I was not putting non moving violations on a section that specifically stated not to.

Btw I had my interview on the 6th and was giving the nod to move forward and pay my fees, live scan ect. I actually signed my completed permit!!! Jessica said the DOJ is taking for ever these days and I probably wont see my permit for at least a month.

Anti-Hero
11-08-2010, 7:43 AM
I never suggested lying, I said I was not putting non moving violations on a section that specifically stated not to.

Btw I had my interview on the 6th and was giving the nod to move forward and pay my fees, live scan ect. I actually signed my completed permit!!! Jessica said the DOJ is taking for ever these days and I probably wont see my permit for at least a month.

That's standard procedure for Placer. Everyone that applies signs their permit, pays their $210.00, and gets live scanned. I think it's just to tease you, being so close yet so far.

pitchbaby
11-08-2010, 9:45 AM
Placer won't bother taking your money unless they plan on approving you pending the outcome of the livescan. This is verified.

EDIT: In the case of Thatrogue, I understand that they did plan to grant him a permit... it was an after thought apparently that he got re-reviewed and denied for traffic citations.

Anti-Hero
11-08-2010, 2:42 PM
I hope that is the case.

fatboy03
11-10-2010, 8:16 PM
Me Too!:D

pitchbaby
11-10-2010, 8:20 PM
Fatboy.... Glad to see you make your first post... and after over a year! As for the payment info.... Let me say again, Placer doesn't want your money unless they plan to approve you pending the outcome of your livescan. You will know as soon as your interview is over.

ZombieTactics
11-10-2010, 8:32 PM
I've recently had a number of good conversations with members of the Placer Sheriff's Dept., including a pleasant conversation with under-sheriff Devon Bell. From what I gather, they don't really consider themselves "shall issue", but I get the impression that you aren't going to get jerked around either. I also spoke recently with a CCW trainer well-known to the dept. and his take is that you are pretty much "good to go" if you are an otherwise upstanding citizen.

wildhawker
11-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I've recently had a number of good conversations with members of the Placer Sheriff's Dept., including a pleasant conversation with under-sheriff Devon Bell. From what I gather, they don't really consider themselves "shall issue", but I get the impression that you aren't going to get jerked around either. I also spoke recently with a CCW trainer well-known to the dept. and his take is that you are pretty much "good to go" if you are an otherwise upstanding citizen.

At least on the surface, much of the conflict in Placer surrounds the SO's definition of "upstanding". From some of the stories I've heard, you could have been a passenger to a vehicle pulled over for speeding 20 years ago and they would deny for lack of "good moral character".

pitchbaby
11-11-2010, 6:55 AM
At least on the surface, much of the conflict in Placer surrounds the SO's definition of "upstanding". From some of the stories I've heard, you could have been a passenger to a vehicle pulled over for speeding 20 years ago and they would deny for lack of "good moral character".

I have to second this remark. I'll add to it too... I personally witnessed a man being fingerprinted after passing his interview. While waiting for the fingerprint process to begin, he told me he was surprised he was let through the interview. Apparently, he had simply forgotten about a misdemeanor charge of fighting in public about 15 years before. The interviewer brought it up and asked why it was not disclosed.

THEN..... only moments later (the next guy to be interviewed) another guy was being interviewed and deemed to aggressive and asked to come back a couple years later to try again because of a couple speeding tickets and a following too close he had gotten all within a short period of time from each other a few years before. Otherwise, he is able to say he is as clean as the driven snow. So, one guy doesn't disclose a misdemeanor for fighting, and he is approved, while the next guy has a few aging traffic citations, otherwise clean, and is denied. Hmm... ya'.... I would say it is a bit too arbitrary to say they don't jerk around.

There is more here that I am leaving out, but it only goes to substantiate this position more than anything else.

Needless to say, the good citizens of Placer County, especially being so close to the capitol city, and especially in light of what has changed in Sacramento, need to have their rights restored to them pronto if a real clear message of change is going to be sent to those who sit in power at our states capitol. We need to surround them on every side and show them that more guns equals less crime. As the crime stats in their own personal neighborhoods around where they live and work during the legislative seasons go down, they will be reminded of how things used to be when they go home to their crime ridden territories. Then, there will be no denying the power of responsible 2A rights being exercised. They won't recognize it on their own, but that is when Gene, Brandon, and Jason, and the rest can go to town and make the real changes happen.

thatrogue
11-12-2010, 8:35 AM

Placer should be next ie the Low hanging fruit campaign

In my case I was just given the nod, and currently have 2 points and am fighting two speeding tickets with two cell phone tickets in the last 60 days. All was disclosed and discussed, and they said that if I continued this behavior I would be denied for renewal.

pitchbaby
11-12-2010, 8:38 AM
Not True in my case I was just given the nod, and currently have 2 points and am fighting two speeding tickets with two cell phone tickets in the last 60 days. All was disclosed and discussed, and they said that if I continued this behavior I would be denied for renewal.

This only goes to prove how arbitrary it is. You know what I am talking about and in light of other things I have posted to this thread.

Arbitrary is not acceptable. Calguns will fix it, I suspect.

riprap
11-12-2010, 4:42 PM
This only goes to prove how arbitrary it is. You know what I am talking about and in light of other things I have posted to this thread.

Arbitrary is not acceptable. Calguns will fix it, I suspect.
Very subjective indeed. I was told that if I ever received a speeding ticket that I should save myself and the SO some time by simply turning in my rice paper because it would eventually be revoked. I subsequently invested in some very sophisticated radar equipment. Nothing like stimulating the economy!

IrishPirate
11-13-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm planning on getting my CCW here in Placer in the very near future. Can anyone enlighten me on GC reasons that were accepted and/or denied? I've got my reasons already, i just want to make sure they aren't on the no-fly list!!!

pitchbaby
11-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Irish... hey... I just bumped an old post of yours cause I was wondering if you ever got around to doing your CCW.

Anyway, I know they are pretty stuck on good GC. The best of what I know is that if your work takes you into places that are not well known to you, don't know escape routes, bad police response times, unable to avoid such situations, carrying vital records of others, cash, yada, yada... that these things have tended to work for others.

I hope that can help!

IrishPirate
11-14-2010, 4:33 PM
Well i can't carry for work anyways so any work related situation is out. But i do like to go out into the woods alot and hike and camp. I also travel down to Mariposa and Fresno to see my family and usually have to do it late at night because of my wife's work schedule. I'm also helping a friend work on his house out in Antelope, and he lives right at Watt and Elverta....anyone who knows the area would know it's not the best of places. I'm hoping they'll see these as good cause. If there's a better way to word it I'm definitely open to suggestions.

If I were to put down "Self Defense" and I was denied, is that something that CGF would help me fight? I know their mission is to get all counties to be Shall Issue and it seems like Placer is not heading toward that trend

pitchbaby
11-14-2010, 6:49 PM
This may sound like a joke but seriously.... In your camping ventures, are there any serious examples of animal attacks on other campers in these areas during the same times of year that you go?

hylander
11-14-2010, 7:32 PM
Well i can't carry for work anyways so any work related situation is out. But i do like to go out into the woods alot and hike and camp. I also travel down to Mariposa and Fresno to see my family and usually have to do it late at night because of my wife's work schedule. I'm also helping a friend work on his house out in Antelope, and he lives right at Watt and Elverta....anyone who knows the area would know it's not the best of places. I'm hoping they'll see these as good cause. If there's a better way to word it I'm definitely open to suggestions.

If I were to put down "Self Defense" and I was denied, is that something that CGF would help me fight? I know their mission is to get all counties to be Shall Issue and it seems like Placer is not heading toward that trend

Placer is pretty CCW freindly.
If you have to frequint bad areas like Watt/Elverta (I know the area), put that down, it may help.
The way you have it worded is not bad, just putting down "Self Defense" is asking for a Denial.

thatrogue
11-15-2010, 7:19 AM

They did not ask if my employer would allow me to carry, he only stated most employers have "no weapons in the work place" policies, and that I need to understand that this lic will not override private property rights. I said I understood and that when I am traveling I am not always on the clock or in company equipment or currently acting on behalf of my company. At that time he moved on seeming to be comfortable of my understanding.

thatrogue
11-15-2010, 7:21 AM
I am requesting a carry permit for the self defense of my self and family as I often... {add 2-5 sentences here}.

Get it, got it, good! :cool2:

GrizzlyGuy
11-15-2010, 7:52 AM

FYI for others reading this thread (I know Wildhawker is already aware of this one): Wife denied ccw (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=358763)

My wife was turned down for her ccw in placer county due to a misdemeanor she was acccused 33 years ago, She got 1 year probation....

Every morning I say a silent prayer that CGF really will go all the way in the Richards (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Richards_v._Prieto) case and not let the Yolo sheriff off the hook on 'good moral character' as they did with McGinness. I know they've said that they are going all the way, I just figure that a daily prayer for their continued steadfast resolve can't hurt. ;)

pitchbaby
11-15-2010, 8:01 AM
Every morning I say a silent prayer that CGF really will go all the way in the Richards (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Richards_v._Prieto) case and not let the Yolo sheriff off the hook on 'good moral character' as they did with McGinness. I know they've said that they are going all the way, I just figure that a daily prayer for their continued steadfast resolution can't hurt. ;)

I second that remark.... I have to say... My personal benefit aside... I think I can very objectively say that to go after Placer now would be a very good move considering the change in the legal climate and the fact that Placer is for all intents and purposes, generally an easy place to get a CCW for many people. Given it's proximity to the state capital, extremely varied mix of rural and dense and population areas, it meets many criteria of a place to be watched... that and I honestly think they would be an easy win. I have gotten the impression many times from several people who know those that hold leadership roles in the county that the people who govern Placer like to stay out trouble/limelight as much as possible.

IrishPirate
11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
This may sound like a joke but seriously.... In your camping ventures, are there any serious examples of animal attacks on other campers in these areas during the same times of year that you go?

I travel to Yosemite alot and there are plenty of animal attacks each year. I've seen evidence of bears and mountain lions on many hikes, and i've also run across plenty of Pot Gardens. There have been several instances where people have come up to me at my friends house in Antelope and tried to cause trouble...luckily, I wasn't one of the people who ended up shot or stabbed in that area.

I'm not too worried about my Moral Character. I'm a Firefighter with CAL FIRE, I'm an Eagle Scout, I volunteered at a battered women's shelter in high school, and I was raised by parents who taught me to actually give a damn...

The only place I'm cancearned (other than my GC) is my traffic record. I've had 4 tickets in 9 years. 3 for speeding, one for hitting the yellow line on a corner. All of them are off my record from either traffic school or because they dropped off after 3 or 5 years. The hitting the yellow line one happened when I was 16, I got two speeding tickets in 5 days (one going to work, one coming home) when I was 18, and the last ticket was for speeding when I was either 21 or 22. All three speeding tickets had some strange circumstances around them that kind of explain them away in my favor, and actually probably help bolster my moral character, but when it all comes down to it, I was still in the wrong. Hopefully though they'll see that I understand that and take into consideration the fact that I haven't gotten any tickets in 4 to 5 years, and none of them were ever under the same circumstances....

pitchbaby
11-15-2010, 11:39 AM
I travel to Yosemite alot and there are plenty of animal attacks each year. I've seen evidence of bears and mountain lions on many hikes, and i've also run across plenty of Pot Gardens. There have been several instances where people have come up to me at my friends house in Antelope and tried to cause trouble...luckily, I wasn't one of the people who ended up shot or stabbed in that area.

I'm not too worried about my Moral Character. I'm a Firefighter with CAL FIRE, I'm an Eagle Scout, I volunteered at a battered women's shelter in high school, and I was raised by parents who taught me to actually give a damn...

The only place I'm cancearned (other than my GC) is my traffic record. I've had 4 tickets in 9 years. 3 for speeding, one for hitting the yellow line on a corner. All of them are off my record from either traffic school or because they dropped off after 3 or 5 years. The hitting the yellow line one happened when I was 16, I got two speeding tickets in 5 days (one going to work, one coming home) when I was 18, and the last ticket was for speeding when I was either 21 or 22. All three speeding tickets had some strange circumstances around them that kind of explain them away in my favor, and actually probably help bolster my moral character, but when it all comes down to it, I was still in the wrong. Hopefully though they'll see that I understand that and take into consideration the fact that I haven't gotten any tickets in 4 to 5 years, and none of them were ever under the same circumstances....

From what I am able to determine, they are mostly only concerned with what has happened in the past 5 years overall, but can see up to 7 years and pay super close attention to what has happened in 3 years. As for the Eagle Scout and other proof of character... it doesn't even make a difference to them. You could be Mother Teresa and with a few speeding tickets, get denied.

EDIT: As for the hiking and camping, I would definitely use it. It seems legitimate to want to recreate, especially in a place such as Yosemite. The stuff about Antelope... they would probably tell you to stop going there since there seems to be no legitimate work reason. Who knows though.

thatrogue
11-15-2010, 12:08 PM
The only place I'm cancearned (other than my GC) is my traffic record. I've had 4 tickets in 9 years. 3 for speeding, one for hitting the yellow line on a corner. All of them are off my record from either traffic school or because they dropped off after 3 or 5 years..

According to my interview you should have no problem period. If it is older than 5 years you are not required to even put it on the app, the interviewer will most likely ask you about it but this will not hang you up. Just apply already!!! :)

IrishPirate
11-15-2010, 7:38 PM
According to my interview you should have no problem period. If it is older than 5 years you are not required to even put it on the app, the interviewer will most likely ask you about it but this will not hang you up. Just apply already!!! :)

just sent out my check for the training. Once it's done I'll jump on the app....thanks for the help everyone!!

Last question: if my friend pays me with beer to help him with his house, can i consider that work related and use it on my app?????
:cheers2:

pitchbaby
11-15-2010, 7:54 PM
just sent out my check for the training. Once it's done I'll jump on the app....thanks for the help everyone!!

Last question: if my friend pays me with beer to help him with his house, can i consider that work related and use it on my app?????
:cheers2:

Call it an "odd" job. HAHA

thatrogue
12-02-2010, 4:25 PM
Word is from smoking hot Jessica that a stack of CCW's are sitting on the Sheriffs desk waiting to be signed. She said mine is one of them and at the latest I should see it in a week or two.:)

pitchbaby
12-02-2010, 4:29 PM
Be careful with that smoking hot stuff... She's like a sister.... LOL!

wildhawker
12-02-2010, 5:42 PM
Word is from smoking hot Jessica that a stack of CCW's are sitting on the Sheriffs desk waiting to be signed. She said mine is one of them and at the latest I should see it in a week or two.:)

Did somebody say that we should cancel the conference call and make it a live meeting?

I kid, I kid...

pitchbaby
12-02-2010, 6:29 PM
Did somebody say that we should cancel the conference call and make it a live meeting?

I kid, I kid...

Conference Call? Anything I would be interested in.... HEHE!

riprap
12-02-2010, 7:56 PM
Jessica = +1

thatrogue
12-02-2010, 9:31 PM
Ya I noticed she was married, she probably wouldn't last a week in a police/fire department single anyhow. Truly sweet person as well. Hell,... she'd probably make SFSO feel ccw friendly.

pitchbaby
12-02-2010, 9:38 PM
Ya I noticed she was married, she probably wouldn't last a week in a police/fire department single anyhow. Truly sweet person as well. Hell,... she'd probably make SFSO feel ccw friendly.

Last time I was there, we spent 15 minutes sharing games our kids like to play on our iPhones. It was cool to just "chill" with one of the "homey's" at the sheriff's office... hehe

thatrogue
12-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Just got a call from a what I understand to have been a lieutenant from Placer county that said they are continuing to review my application. Stating they are concerned with my driving record. They said they will call me back next week.

Why the concern now after they have already taken my money, done and received my live scan results??? WTF By all accounts I should have already received my permit.

goodlookin1
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Just got a call from a what I understand to have been a lieutenant from Placer county that said they are continuing to review my application. Stating they are concerned with my driving record. They said they will call me back next week.

Why the concern now after they have already taken my money, done and received my live scan results??? WTF By all accounts I should have already received my permit.

Just for reference, how many points/tickets do you have? If you are right on the cusp of being "denied" due to tickets, it might be informative to those who are seeking a CCW but are concerned about their driving record.

Anti-Hero
12-09-2010, 12:02 PM

That call is a good thing, trust me. If they were going to flat out deny you, you would have simply gotten a denial letter. I'd say you're about 75/25 in favor of getting your permit. Did they tell you "any additional tickets will be cause for immediate revocation?"

surfish95747
12-09-2010, 1:01 PM
Just wondering, when I apply for my CCW and one of my firearms has a rail light, will that not get approved?

Anti-Hero
12-09-2010, 1:43 PM
Just wondering, when I apply for my CCW and one of my firearms has a rail light, will that not get approved?

No, flashlights are not allowed.

Coded-Dude
12-09-2010, 2:44 PM
will they deny a gun with a rail? I bought a 1911PD with tac rail(because it has a full 5" barrel), but I don't plan on ever attaching a light to it.

Anti-Hero
12-09-2010, 3:17 PM
Rail is fine, anything attached to it, not o.k. The placer co. requirements are listed in the link at the beginning of this thread...

pitchbaby
12-09-2010, 4:01 PM
will they deny a gun with a rail? I bought a 1911PD with tac rail(because it has a full 5" barrel), but I don't plan on ever attaching a light to it.

The only "attachments allowed in Placer are those that are part of the original build of the gun. Example... If you add a
Laser... NO... If you buy a factory model that is rostered with a laser, you can keep it on the gun.

Gray Peterson
12-09-2010, 4:27 PM
The only "attachments allowed in Placer are those that are part of the original build of the gun. Example... If you add a
Laser... NO... If you buy a factory model that is rostered with a laser, you can keep it on the gun.

All of these regulations being unlawful and illegal, of course.

thatrogue
12-09-2010, 5:28 PM
That call is a good thing, trust me. If they were going to flat out deny you, you would have simply gotten a denial letter. I'd say you're about 75/25 in favor of getting your permit. Did they tell you "any additional tickets will be cause for immediate revocation?"

no...Fullenwider said that if I continued receiving tickets, I would be denied for renewal.

adrenalinemedic
12-10-2010, 1:39 PM
All of these regulations being unlawful and illegal, of course.

Just like requiring $210 up front? ;)

Coded-Dude
12-10-2010, 1:56 PM
I just donated(x2) to the Placer fund. Will be getting a copy of my Driving history today and picking up my second handgun tomorrow(1911PD). Then I will take the course and submit the forms....sometime in Jan/Feb.

pitchbaby
12-10-2010, 4:15 PM
I just donated(x2) to the Placer fund. Will be getting a copy of my Driving history today and picking up my second handgun tomorrow(1911PD). Then I will take the course and submit the forms....sometime in Jan/Feb.

If you need help with good cause, feel free to let me know.

Coded-Dude
12-10-2010, 5:09 PM
i have 1 current point on my record with a total of 4 in 10 yrs. no accidents or fta's. my buddy, who wants to do all of this with me has a much worse record so i forwarned him about the possibility of getting denied. anywho, i will definitely be asking for a helpful review of my good cause when the time arrives.

thanks in advance for anyone who offers help/suggestions.

speaking of that.....is referencing crime stats of(lets just say) the last 6 months in the public area's that you spend most of your time in a good idea?

pitchbaby
12-10-2010, 5:25 PM
First things first, you may have only one point on your record, but points and citations issued, regardless of how they were resolved (dismissal, traffic school, etc...) are not the same in the eyes of the SO. They will ding you for all issued citations, even if you have a low "points" count.

As for quoting stats... I think you'll just make for a boring letter that will be like trying to show your smarter than they are for the peeps in Placer. It would however help to say that your work takes you into places with increasing crime due to losses in police presence because of budget cuts... keep it simple, but tell the same story.

pilotguyo540
12-10-2010, 8:12 PM
Does it matter what state tickets are issued in? I got 4 in a real bad 30 day period 1 and a half years ago. All were out of state, and I don't think any ever made it to my DMV record. They may be there, but I still get the good driver discount :D

pitchbaby
12-10-2010, 8:22 PM
The sheriff sees them all. Sorry dude.

Anti-Hero
12-10-2010, 10:04 PM
It doesn't hurt to apply, be honest, be humble, and own your mistakes like the mature adult they need to be convinced you are. Traffic tickets aren't the coffin nail in your CCW; however, they certainly don't help your case either.

Good luck!

thatrogue
12-10-2010, 11:37 PM
We will see if traffic tickets are a nail or not. I will update u all next week. I am by all means over qualified based on Gc, although my non misdemeanor driving record is being perceived as questionable. If I get denied I can only hope CGF would see it as a early christmas present for the cause.

wildhawker
12-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Can someone in Placer close to the Sheriff's Office who doesn't mind rolling up their sleeves do some legwork for us? I have an idea.

pitchbaby
12-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Can someone in Placer close to the Sheriff's Office who doesn't mind rolling up their sleeves do some legwork for us? I have an idea.

I know we just spoke recently, but is this idea something new since then? I am about 25-30 minutes from the SO... not too bad of a drive. Let me know what your thinking. If you need someone they haven't had previous dealings with, I'll see if I can dig anyone up.

wildhawker
12-11-2010, 12:58 AM
I know we just spoke recently, but is this idea something new since then? I am about 25-30 minutes from the SO... not too bad of a drive. Let me know what your thinking. If you need someone they haven't had previous dealings with, I'll see if I can dig anyone up.

Probably best someone else.

pitchbaby
12-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Probably best someone else.

If nobody turns up in the next few weeks, send me a PM what you have in mind and I'll see if I can drudge up a volunteer.

thatrogue
12-11-2010, 4:18 PM
I'm 20 minutes out from the SO I can do something early am Monday morning however I'll be occupied the rest of the week. I need to get a copy of my CCW application due to the anticipated denial after last weeks conversation. What do you think Wildhawker, bad move me going up there?

pitchbaby
12-11-2010, 4:21 PM
I'm 20 minutes out from the SO I can do something early am Monday morning however I'll be occupied the rest of the week. I need to get a copy of my CCW application due to the anticipated denial after last weeks conversation. What do you think Wildhawker, bad move me going up there?

Unless Wildhawker wants you to go... don't even bother running up to the office. Jessica will fax it to you if you ask. She's very cool like that.

thatrogue
12-11-2010, 4:26 PM
hummm... I might just go up there to save Jessica the trouble of using the fax...:tooth:

pitchbaby
12-11-2010, 4:28 PM
She is married you know..... SO BAD!

Anti-Hero
12-11-2010, 4:43 PM

Why are you anticipating a denial?

thatrogue
12-12-2010, 6:28 PM
Check out my post on page 2. Got a call that seemingly was prepping me for denial.

Anti-Hero
12-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I know someone who got the same call, and then got their permit a week later. Like I said before - That call is a good thing. If they were planning on denying you, why would they call you to? To soften the blow? lol

Why not just send the denial letter and not waste their time?

Coded-Dude
12-13-2010, 8:18 AM
First things first, you may have only one point on your record, but points and citations issued, regardless of how they were resolved (dismissal, traffic school, etc...) are not the same in the eyes of the SO. They will ding you for all issued citations, even if you have a low "points" count.

As for quoting stats... I think you'll just make for a boring letter that will be like trying to show your smarter than they are for the peeps in Placer. It would however help to say that your work takes you into places with increasing crime due to losses in police presence because of budget cuts... keep it simple, but tell the same story.

Let me clarify my good cause a bit. My truck is non-op and has been for over a year or so. I get around mostly by walking or riding a bike(stay close to home these days). I live very close to downtown Roseville(the bars), and there have been about 40 assaults/burglaries/robberies(some with weapons) in the last 3 months - within a mile of my home. To elaborate on that I am unable to open carry because there is a school within a few thousand feet of my home in virtually every direction.

I also spend a lot of time outdoors camping: Tahoe National Forrest, Yosemite, Lassen, etc.

Anti-Hero
12-13-2010, 9:19 AM
The more specific you are with good cause, the more the burden of proof is on you.

Good cause in Placer county isn't that hard to show. Keep it short and succinct, and think about how you'll explain it when asked. The less you put down, the less you will have to explain in the interview. ;)

pitchbaby
12-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Let me clarify my good cause a bit. My truck is non-op and has been for over a year or so. I get around mostly by walking or riding a bike(stay close to home these days). I live very close to downtown Roseville(the bars), and there have been about 40 assaults/burglaries/robberies(some with weapons) in the last 3 months - within a mile of my home. To elaborate on that I am unable to open carry because there is a school within a few thousand feet of my home in virtually every direction.

I also spend a lot of time outdoors camping: Tahoe National Forrest, Yosemite, Lassen, etc.

What Anti-Hero said... but your on the right track.

pitchbaby
12-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I know someone who got the same call, and then got their permit a week later. Like I said before - That call is a good thing. If they were planning on denying you, why would they call you to? To soften the blow? lol

Why not just send the denial letter and not waste their time?

Why not just do the review and send a permit or a denial without adding anxiety to the mix?

pitchbaby
12-13-2010, 8:21 PM
We have been pretty clear here that factory installed lasers are cool with Placer... but I just got a message from someone that might suggest that Placer is changing their feeling about laser sights. If anyone has a firm bit of info about this, please pipe up... in the meantime I will see what I can do to confirm this before I cite my source.

If this is correct, then AWESOME!!!

Coded-Dude
12-14-2010, 7:48 AM
I have the S&W BodyGuard 38(built in insight laser) and was planning on licensing that as well as my new 1911. But I need some more time at the range first. I've had teh 38 for about a month longer than the 1911, and my first day out with it I was more accurate than with the snubby. Of course the reviews say this 1911 is one of the most accurate out of the box(although my back sights were a tad off). Anywho, keep us posted and thanks for the update.

Anti-Hero
12-14-2010, 9:03 AM
From my understanding -NO- lasers are allowed.

pitchbaby
12-14-2010, 9:22 AM
It's official, I just spoke to Jessica.... after factory lasers are allowed as of a couple weeks ago. The website is being changed soon to reflect this.

Coded-Dude
12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
lasers and lights(or just lasers)? one could make an assumption, but I'd rather not.....

pitchbaby
12-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Hmmm... should have asked but didn't. I guess it's your turn to call Jessica... hehe!

530-889-7812

Gray Peterson
12-14-2010, 10:49 AM
:whistling: :gene:

Coded-Dude
12-14-2010, 11:37 AM
lol.....I just talked to her and she was a unsure about it(both the light and laser). She said from the factory is fine(like my bodyguard 38), but that I would have to personally ask Carl(Karl?) during the interview about after market accessories. I'm not too worried about it as I don't plan to carry a tac light that much at all. SHe did referenece the current website's info, and noted nothing about changing it too allow after market lasers, etc.

She also said a new change is that you must have completed your class before filing paperwork. Bring in proof of res, certificate, and other paperwork when you file your request.

...so mixed results.

pitchbaby
12-14-2010, 11:55 AM
lol.....I just talked to her and she was a unsure about it(both the light and laser). She said from the factory is fine(like my bodyguard 38), but that I would have to personally ask Carl(Karl?) during the interview about after market accessories. I'm not too worried about it as I don't plan to carry a tac light that much at all. SHe did referenece the current website's info, and noted nothing about changing it too allow after market lasers, etc.

She also said a new change is that you must have completed your class before filing paperwork. Bring in proof of res, certificate, and other paperwork when you file your request.

...so mixed results.

OK, I am officially confused.... I got an email from a "source" and then spoke to her and got the answer about being able to add a laser. Now you ask and she changes the details. This is getting to be a little strange.

Are they perhaps only considering such changes? Grey, do you know what gives?

Coded-Dude
12-14-2010, 11:58 AM
me too. :shrug:

Gray Peterson
12-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Let's give the folks at Placer County some breathing room for the moment to figure out what they need to figure out. Not everything needs to be resolved with a compliance demand letter from CGF.

pitchbaby
12-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Let's give the folks at Placer County some breathing room for the moment to figure out what they need to figure out. Not everything needs to be resolved with a compliance demand letter from CGF.

Agreed ^^^

Coded-Dude
12-14-2010, 1:29 PM
Question: What is entailed in the Safe Firearms Handling Course that one is required to pass before receiving a permit?

Handling only
Shooting Proficiency and Handling
etc.

pitchbaby
12-14-2010, 4:00 PM
Question: What is entailed in the Safe Firearms Handling Course that one is required to pass before receiving a permit?

Handling only
Shooting Proficiency and Handling
etc.

8 hour NRA basic firearm course

trailbuster
12-15-2010, 5:30 PM
When your ready to take the NRA basic firearm course give Ron Etchels a call. He is great and has a lot of great knowledge about both the legality of carry and how to properly handle a gun and increase your shot performance.

pitchbaby
12-15-2010, 6:35 PM
Ron's class was good, but every time I call to try and get a date for a refresher, he always seems to be out of town.

trailbuster
12-15-2010, 7:07 PM
Try giving him a buzz now. From what i understand he is now working on his courses full time. Everytime I have called in regards to my ccw and training he has either picked up right away or returned my call within 30 min.

Me1
12-15-2010, 7:11 PM
Ron's class was good, but every time I call to try and get a date for a refresher, he always seems to be out of town.

He was out at Sac Valley giving a classs last Sat. He also on the Sac Valley Calendar for range 5a ,18/19 Dec 10 and 8 Jan 11.
http://www.sacvalley.org/calendar.html

Coded-Dude
12-16-2010, 7:47 AM
I have also head that Ben Glau comes highly recommended. I was considering maybe taking a few shooting classes at the local gun range as well just(lincoln) to increase my shooting proficiency with my two newest guns.

pitchbaby
12-16-2010, 9:34 AM
If your in Lincoln, PM me... I'll take you to a private shooting spot..... you'll even live to tell the tale... LOL... Seriously though, let me know if you want to go.

pitchbaby
12-16-2010, 9:34 AM
If your in Lincoln, PM me... I'll take you to a private shooting spot..... you'll even live to tell the tale... LOL... Seriously though, let me know if you want to go.

thatrogue
12-16-2010, 9:36 AM
Just talked to Elaine B. whom is the secretary for both Captain Hutchinson and lieutenant Mittensander. She stated that she sent a denial on 12-13-2010 Lack of character "based on the penal code stating I must have a clean driving record". I spoke to Jessica as well, she stated she would email my application and included documentation. I will email you once I receive the application and denial WildHawker.

I feel like I was just rob for $210...:(

thatrogue
12-16-2010, 9:36 AM
Duplicate Post Sorry please delete

pitchbaby
12-16-2010, 9:38 AM
I have also head that Ben Glau comes highly recommended. I was considering maybe taking a few shooting classes at the local gun range as well just(lincoln) to increase my shooting proficiency with my two newest guns.

If your in Lincoln, I got a better place, but it's private property. I might be willing to let you come out if your 1911 is what I think it might be! PM Me.

thatrogue
12-16-2010, 9:38 AM
duplicate Post sorry please Delete

Coded-Dude
12-16-2010, 9:49 AM
If your in Lincoln, I got a better place, but it's private property. I might be willing to let you come out if your 1911 is what I think it might be! PM Me.

I actually live in Roseville again, but Lincoln is the closest place I know of(i used to live there)to shoot. I've been meaning to find a BLM spot close to home so I can shoot more during the week(without travelling too far). Just gotta order a map. I'll send you a PM in a bit.

Besides the land between Sunset and Twin Bridges east of the highway(which is no longer accessible, or legal, because of development), the only spot I know of around here is past Camp Far West's north shore, but I have never actually been to that spot.

pitchbaby
12-16-2010, 9:59 AM
Something is jacked today with posting on Calguns.

As for being robbed, technically they only stole $191 from you. I would ask for a refund for whatever they are willing to give back, being that your likely also out the Livescan fee.

thatrogue
12-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I have donated very little CGF, however considering my denial today I became one of the many sponsors of Placer. Thanks to GGF and Wildhawker for this killer initiative.

PayPal logo Dec 16, 2010 11:24.48 PST
Transaction ID: 36T9515099140734K
Hello XXXXX XXXXXX,

You sent a payment of $XXX.00 USD to The Calguns Foundation (paypal@calgunsfoundation.org)

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
Merchant
The Calguns Foundation
paypal@calgunsfoundation.org
650-275-1015 Instructions to merchant
You haven't entered any instructions.
Shipping address - confirmed
XXXXX XXXXXX
XXXX XXXXXXXXX XX
Roseville, CA 95747
United States
Shipping details
The seller hasn’t provided any shipping details yet.
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Carry License Reform & Sunshine Initiative - Individual (Name Credits) County Sponsorship
Item# 2825855_9878012 , Option: Placer $XXX.00 USD X $XXX.00 USD
Subtotal $XXX.00 USD
Total $XXX.00 USD
Payment $XXX.00 USD
Charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *CALGUNSFDN"
Payment sent to paypal@calgunsfoundation.org

Invoice ID: 1162497029

thatrogue
12-17-2010, 5:46 PM
Received the denial today, the reason as stated is laughable... "Background must be beyond reproach". It oddly feels good to at least know I'm denied, rather than waiting with anticipation.

pitchbaby
12-17-2010, 6:42 PM
Received the denial today, the reason as stated is laughable... "Background must be beyond reproach". It oddly feels good to at least know I'm denied, rather than waiting with anticipation.

That's what mine said. Believe me... church going, Cub Mastering, and a crime free background all overlooked for traffic citations... really gets me wondering what we would see if we dug into these guy's backgrounds.

I'm just sayin'.

pitchbaby
01-09-2011, 6:19 PM
So, when do we effectively put Sheriff Bonner on notice that we want a new policy or a new candidate in the next election?

Coded-Dude
01-10-2011, 8:04 AM
well he ran unopposed, so we'd need to find somebody willing to compete.

Anti-Hero
01-10-2011, 3:06 PM
well he ran unopposed, so we'd need to find somebody willing to compete.

Have you applied yet? You may find that Sheriff Bonner is quite reasonable in his issuance.

pitchbaby
01-10-2011, 3:14 PM
Have you applied yet? You may find that Sheriff Bonner is quite reasonable in his issuance.

If he were so reasonable, most of us wouldn't be here. I have applied, and have been denied for the same reason as thatrogue.

Do you think he was reasonably declined. Your comments earlier would not suggest that you do.

We are two years away. When is it the right time to start looking?

Anti-Hero
01-10-2011, 3:49 PM
If he were so reasonable, most of us wouldn't be here. I have applied, and have been denied for the same reason as thatrogue.

Do you think he was reasonably declined. Your comments earlier would not suggest that you do.

We are two years away. When is it the right time to start looking?

I didn't have an opinion either way, I just thought he had a good chance of receiving it. Then I went back and read that he had 4 tickets in 60 days. That's a lot of LE contact in a short period of time, do you not agree?

I try not to have an opinion on matters like this, because you only ever have one side of the story. Just because a person says "I only have x on my record" doesn't always mean they're not presenting the facts in their favor.

I personally believe Placer is pretty fair about CCW issuance, but I will also say my data sample size is admittedly small.

pitchbaby
01-10-2011, 4:34 PM
I didn't have an opinion either way, I just thought he had a good chance of receiving it. Then I went back and read that he had 4 tickets in 60 days. That's a lot of LE contact in a short period of time, do you not agree?

I try not to have an opinion on matters like this, because you only ever have one side of the story. Just because a person says "I only have x on my record" doesn't always mean they're not presenting the facts in their favor.

I personally believe Placer is pretty fair about CCW issuance, but I will also say my data sample size is admittedly small.

You make a good point. I sometimes forget that I have been digging into Placer County CCW issuance practices for almost 2 years now. This however does include the time I spent researching issuance practices prior to my application and subsequent denial. With the first hand details I have picked up on both sides, it starts to show a pattern of something that smells of the sea.

This isn't the appropriate place to disclose the details and I don't expect you to take my word for it, but for what it may be worth to you, I have done my homework. Most that Calguns leadership is well aware of and some that is just for me to know to lead me down other roads of research for later.

thatrogue
01-11-2011, 3:44 PM

Remember Anti-hero two of the contacts are as a result of a cell phone. It's isn't even required to be listed on the application. I'm not a prohibited person and have damn good cause. I have never had cuffs placed on me, never even had a at fault accident, and the only leo contact I have had is traffic related... and a neighbor that didn't like an old car that I was restoring, calling the police every so often.

Bottom line is at minimum I was overcharged $195 by Placers backwards process, and at worst I was wrongfully denied.

Anti-Hero
01-11-2011, 8:31 PM
While I agree, cell phone infractions are pretty minor, they're still "contact" and that is the problem. The more contact you have with deputies and officers, the greater the possibility of something going sideways.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong. I'm just playing devils advocate.

thatrogue
01-11-2011, 11:01 PM
While I agree, cell phone infractions are pretty minor, they're still "contact" and that is the problem. The more contact you have with deputies and officers, the greater the possibility of something going sideways.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong. I'm just playing devils advocate.

No worries thats the point of the forum.

Speeding tickets and moral character IMHO have nothing to do with one another. I drive for a living, it is a statistical improbability for me to never be ticketed, I drive four times as many miles as Joe average. The other issue is calling this a character issue is questionable just on the basis that everyone (75%+or-) at some frequency speed it's just luck whether or not your the one to get pulled over.

The tickets I have listed on the app.

1. towing missing 1 out of 2 chains ......... 3 years ago
2. towing over 55mph (67 if I remember correctly) .......... 2 years ago
3. 80 mph in 65 zone ....... 6 months ago
4. 52 mph in 40 mph (1/4 mile section of east roseville prky) the rest is 45-50 ....... 4 months ago

Kid Stanislaus
01-12-2011, 6:43 AM
No worries thats the point of the forum.

Speeding tickets and moral character IMHO have nothing to do with one another. I drive for a living, it is a statistical improbability for me to never be ticketed, I drive four times as many miles as Joe average. The other issue is calling this a character issue is questionable just on the basis that everyone (75%+or-) at some frequency speed it's just luck whether or not your the one to get pulled over. The tickets I have listed on the app. 1. towing missing 1 out of 2 chains ......... 3 years ago
2. towing over 55mph (67 if I remember correctly) .......... 2 years ago
3. 80 mph in 65 zone ....... 6 months ago
4. 52 mph in 40 mph (1/4 mile section of east roseville prky) the rest is 45-50 ....... 4 months ago

Between your name and this information I'm getting a picture of you that sez, "Uh oh, this guy just may be a bit of a loose cannon on the deck."

pitchbaby
01-12-2011, 6:58 AM
Between your name and this information I'm getting a picture of you that sez, "Uh oh, this guy just may be a bit of a loose cannon on the deck."

I've had some run ins with this character (OK, by run ins I mean shallow and somewhat meaningful conversations... but nonetheless...) as a result, loose cannon is not a way I would describe him.

Take me for instance... Cubmaster, clergy, father of 4, insurance agent, never arrested, formerly an EMT, no traffic citations for over 2 years... and even at that, the last one was dismissed cause the citing officer decided he was in the wrong and notified the court.

Still, I was denied cause somehow I am thought of by our current sheriff to be a dangerous character who is lacking in moral character as a result of my traffic history.

The remaining tickets on my record are nothing more than 65 in a 65 while towing down a hill, tailgating at traffic hour (in other words... everyone was guilty at the time, I was just the easiest one to pull over) and blowing a stop sign while driving 5 mph for over a block cause I was hopelessly lost and was so worried about finding my way out of suburbia that the stop sign literally went unnoticed (not proud of that mistake... but I was in the middle of a crappy sacramento neighborhood, I was literally getting a little freaked out that I stuck out like such a sore thumb... I was actually a little relieved to find the cop... LOL... he was able to give me good directions to get out of there)

None of these paint the picture of a loose cannon, however, Placer has a strict low to no tolerance of traffic citations, no matter who you are or what the circumstances of them are, even if they are all dismissed... PERIOD.

Is that unreasonable? Do our neighbors with 3 or 4 tickets and a CCW in Butte County have wild west shooting spree's? So many questions and only one answer: GET A NEW SHERIFF!

USMC VET
01-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I have watched a bit and figured I'd throw in my 2 pennies.

I get the premise that if one can't follow traffic laws then one could be considered a bit loose in the eyes of the law when it comes to a car. I get that they see a car as a large weapon and thus frown upon traffic citations.

The problem I have is it seems like they look at your good cause reason first. If that's fine by them then they look at your driving record. If that's blemished even in the smallest way (fix it tickets, ca stops, etc) they immediately form an opinion against you which I think is very wrong.

They give people badges and guns and powers of the law with such infractions and sometimes worse which in my opinion should be held to a higher standard than a citizen attempting to exercise their God given right to bear (concealed) arms and protect at the very least themselves.

This is a democracy and if we don't like the way our elected officials are doing business then we need to have them kick rocks for someone who will adhere to the policies we want. Just my opinion and I don't know much :)

thatrogue
01-12-2011, 10:52 PM

I get the premise that if one can't follow traffic laws then one could be considered a bit loose in the eyes of the law when it comes to a car. I get that they see a car as a large weapon and thus frown upon traffic citations.

The problem I have is it seems like they look at your good cause reason first. If that's fine by them then they look at your driving record. If that's blemished even in the smallest way (fix it tickets, ca stops, etc) they immediately form an opinion against you which I think is very wrong.

They give people badges and guns and powers of the law with such infractions and sometimes worse which in my opinion should be held to a higher standard than a citizen attempting to exercise their God given right to bear (concealed) arms and protect at the very least themselves.

This is a democracy and if we don't like the way our elected officials are doing business then we need to have them kick rocks for someone who will adhere to the policies we want. Just my opinion and I don't know much :)

Your absolutely right.

pitchbaby
01-12-2011, 10:56 PM

No dude... you know plenty.

Hoologan
01-13-2011, 1:07 PM
I guess I'll wait a bit longer before applying. Thanks for the info fellas.

pitchbaby
01-13-2011, 2:21 PM
I guess I'll wait a bit longer before applying. Thanks for the info fellas.

Brandon, Do you have an opinion at the present time on waiting vs. applying to be denied for character?

pitchbaby
02-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Been waiting for word on this. I have a warm body who can go in and do this whenever you let us know what you want to request.

Also, I am ready to do some of the other stuff we discussed.

pitchbaby
02-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Just talked to Elaine B. whom is the secretary for both Captain Hutchinson and lieutenant Mittensander. She stated that she sent a denial on 12-13-2010 Lack of character "based on the penal code stating I must have a clean driving record". I spoke to Jessica as well, she stated she would email my application and included documentation. I will email you once I receive the application and denial WildHawker.

I feel like I was just rob for $210...:(

Did you get a refund yet?

thatrogue
02-15-2011, 1:55 PM
I've been so pissed off about this for the last month all I have done is called to request an appeal. I was told they would only take the request by mail. Anyone out there wanna help formulate this appeal?

Coded-Dude
02-15-2011, 2:23 PM
we still need a business sponser don't we. now that SBR is in Placer we should hit em up.

pitchbaby
02-15-2011, 6:30 PM
I've been so pissed off about this for the last month all I have done is called to request an appeal. I was told they would only take the request by mail. Anyone out there wanna help formulate this appeal?

I can give it a try, but we all know how mine went. Heck... I even had the blessing of the Gene and the Brandon with mine.

Placer is a tough nut bro.

dartbrandx
02-16-2011, 8:33 PM
deleted......

pitchbaby
02-17-2011, 12:36 AM
........Deleted?

Gray Peterson
02-17-2011, 5:29 AM
I feel like I just threw my application money away here too. I went in for my interview the beginning of feb. I just got a call from lieutenant Mittensander asking me why I didn't disclose the fact that I was arrested for something I did when I was 17. The bad part was, I was not arrested, I was questioned at my school and after that, I went back to class. I was never handcuffed or brought anywhere. (just sat in the principals office). I don't want to go into detail here. I made a small mistake and was caught for it. (stole a walkman from a store I worked at) The detectives that questioned me at school made me produce it and I did. I went back to class and they left. I was cited (I think, I truly can't remember what happened)for it a few months later at a meeting at the probation dept. I think it was the probation dept...I can't remember and there was never any probation from it or anything. I made a mistake and that was that. That happened 24 years ago. I have had no contact with LE since then. Not even a speeding ticket. This was brought up in the interview with the retired sheriff. He seemed satisfied with my explanation. I got fingerprinted, signed the ccw and paid the fees. However during the phone call with lieutenant Mittensander I got the impression that he did not believe what I was saying or atleast didn't like my response to it. He stated that the application asked if I was EVER arrested and why I answered no. I explained to him exactly what happened that day. I don't think he believed me. At the end of the conversation, he said thank you, I will send my recommendation to the captain and that was that.

This was yesterday afternoon. I've been consumed by this phone call. I'm thinking of calling him back and talking with him some more and trying to lobby my case. I just didn't get a good feeling.

I just don't know what to do.

A few things: A) I would ask for the source of the data they're talking about, so you can verify through court records if you were convicted of anything. Once you find out that detail, if you were just arrested and not convicted of anything/pled guilty, they just committed a crime.

Why? Look up Business and Professions Code 461:

No public agency, state or local, shall, on an initial
application form for any license, certificate or registration, ask
for or require the applicant to reveal a record of arrest that did
not result in a conviction or a plea of nolo contendere. A violation
of this section is a misdemeanor.
This section shall apply in the case of any license, certificate
or registration provided for by any law of this state or local
government, including, but not limited to, this code, the
Corporations Code, the Education Code, and the Insurance Code.

Just sayin, folks. Sometimes the stuff that helps you isn't in the penal code.....

-Gray

goodlookin1
02-17-2011, 7:21 AM
Hmm...

I just turned in my app yesterday and am now more concerned that I will be denied after reading some of the posts regarding traffic violations. I only have two in the last 5 years, 4 since I got my license at 16 (now 28). I have nothing on my record, nor anything that happened and didnt get charged for.

I was really surprised though when I turned in my app; they said someone cancelled their appt and I was able to take the open slot next week! 6 days wait vs 6 weeks wait to get the interview appointment. That worked out well.....I hope I can keep up the momentum in the interview!

Wish me luck :rolleyes:

Coded-Dude
02-17-2011, 7:23 AM
good luck and keep us posted.

goodlookin1
02-17-2011, 8:35 AM
good luck and keep us posted.

Will do, thanks.

epilepticninja
02-17-2011, 9:24 AM
Wow, after reading the posts here, it seems that Placer Co. S.O. flat doesn't want to issue CCW's. I had two redlight violations in 2008 and I still got approved for my CCW in Sac Co. Granted, I have a LE and Military background that may have countered those two cites, but the stuff I'm seeing here is ridiculous to deny over.

And to call up a CCW applicant about some b.s. that happened 24 years ago when the applicant was a juvenille? wtf? I was arrested when I was a juvenile for theft, and I still was able to get a DoD TS/SCI clearance and make it through two LE background investigations and get hired by the respective agencies. I thought the Placer Co. Sheriff was a 2A guy and CCW friendly. Looks like I was wrong about that, eeesh. Move to Sac Co. gents, the sheriff here is great.

pitchbaby
02-17-2011, 9:32 AM
Wow, after reading the posts here, it seems that Placer Co. S.O. flat doesn't want to issue CCW's. I had two redlight violations in 2008 and I still got approved for my CCW in Sac Co. Granted, I have a LE and Military background that may have countered those two cites, but the stuff I'm seeing here is ridiculous to deny over.

And to call up a CCW applicant about some b.s. that happened 24 years ago when the applicant was a juvenille? wtf? I was arrested when I was a juvenile for theft, and I still was able to get a DoD TS/SCI clearance and make it through two LE background investigations and get hired by the respective agencies. I thought the Placer Co. Sheriff was a 2A guy and CCW friendly. Looks like I was wrong about that, eeesh. Move to Sac Co. gents, the sheriff here is great.

Don't rub it in dude... believe me... I know if I just lived 5 or so miles in a couple different directions, I wouldn't be dealing with this atrocity.

Having said that, I am glad that Sacramento has fallen to common sense.

mark2203
02-17-2011, 9:50 AM
I'm sorry if I missed something here. If I do apply but, after the process is complete, am denied, are the application fees refundable?

I feel I have legitimate reasoning, good demeanor, a clean record, etc that my chances are probably pretty high for acceptance, but I don't want to waste the time and, especially, the money if I wind up denied for some obscure reasoning.

pitchbaby
02-17-2011, 7:02 PM
I'm sorry if I missed something here. If I do apply but, after the process is complete, am denied, are the application fees refundable?

I feel I have legitimate reasoning, good demeanor, a clean record, etc that my chances are probably pretty high for acceptance, but I don't want to waste the time and, especially, the money if I wind up denied for some obscure reasoning.

I don't know why they shouldn't be. I imagine you would be out the finger printing fee... Otherwise, the only amount they would be allowed to keep if they wanted to is 19 bucks. The rest of it should be refundable.

It is disheartening though that we live in a county where we have to be worried about this sort of stuff.

Anti-Hero
02-17-2011, 11:25 PM

If everything you say is true and correct, I don't think you'll have any issue getting a permit.

goodlookin1
02-23-2011, 9:42 AM
Ok, did my interview. My thoughts:

Sheriff was a very nice guy. He came off as reasonable and fair....the type of LEO that I highly respect. He also seemed very pro-2A and positive on self defense/family defense being good cause for issuance. While not explicitly stating this in those words, during my interview process, he made comments that indicated as such. Things like, "no amount of money is worth your life, or the bad guys life", or, "CCW should only be used should you absolutely need to defend yourself or your family". Again, these are not verbatim, but things like this were said and I was a bit surprised. The general feeling I got was that the Sheriff understands what a CCW is really needed for, and that CA's "good cause" necessity was not his main concern.

Having said that, I got a STRONG impression that they take very seriously the actions on an applicant and their past history. The Sheriff/county views things such as traffic violations, run-ins with the law, lawsuits, illegal substance abuse, breaking other laws outside of gun related laws, etc, as making a CCW applicant more likely to break the law if carrying concealed.....and that, to them, is a liability to the public which they are not willing to risk. In other words, they really scrutinize the character of the applicant. They will review your application, hold the interview and inquire about things on it. Then they will run a background check on you from multiple state and federal sources. If they find something on there that you failed to disclose, be sure that they will follow up on why you did not tell them about that. Failure to disclose information that could affect their decision WILL BE FOUND in the background check, so DONT LIE or WITHHOLD ANYTHING, otherwise they will see this as a Character issue; namely that you lack good character. Good Character is something that I sensed was much more important to them than CA's accepted Good Cause (this may still be necessary...I dont know).

When I was being interviewed, I made sure I told them about anything and everything that might even possibly show up on my background check. Even things that were completely out of my control, things I spoke to an officer about and was never written up for, trespassing on property that I did not know was private, etc. The Sheriff told me that he has denied people in the past because they failed to disclose (intentionally) some relatively inconsequential event, and when it came up in the background, he asked them about it and ended up denying them for it. But had they disclosed it when they had the opportunity, he would have approved them because it would have been no big deal. It was the lying/withholding information that caused him to deny, not the event itself.

So in a nutshell, if you dont follow the law on other areas outside of gun related issues, or are found lying or misrepresenting information or events, they see good reason to deny issuing a CCW to you, due to their belief that you will not be able to follow the rules/laws when CCW'ing (being a responsible and trustworthy CCW'er).

Oh, one other thing: I did ask him if being asked to pay up front after the interview indicated a better chance of issuance. He said that he will never tell someone after the interview if they will certainly be issued a permit. He said if there is something in the interview that will most certainly deny the person, he said he will tell them up front that they shouldn't pay the money because they will more than likely be denied. He then said that if there is a potential issue in the interview process, he said that he will tell you, "it is your choice" (it's a 50/50). If he asks you to pay up front after the interview, that means that there was nothing inherently wrong from the interview, and should the background check be found as represented in the interview process, then there shouldnt be anything that would prevent you from being issued a permit.

I am stating these things as to the impression that I got, not as fact or law. I think, given the nature of our "May Issue" laws in CA, the Sheriff/Placer County seemed pretty fair on the way they scrutinize issuance. I'm sure there have been things that have been unfairly treated and such, but I would imagine that, by and large, it's not very common. He mentioned Calguns and how he has seen in the past that when a person is denied, they will come on here and not tell the whole story of why they were denied to make it seem that Placer is unfair. He said that what they typically fail to mention is that they withheld information in the interview process or were caught misrepresenting or lying about something.

We'll see how it turns out for me. I was as honest as possible and represented everything as truthfully as I could. My conscience bears witness :)

Hope this helps someone who might be thinking of applying.

Anti-Hero
02-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Ok, did my interview. My thoughts:

Sheriff was a very nice guy. He came off as reasonable and fair....the type of LEO that I highly respect. He also seemed very pro-2A and positive on self defense/family defense being good cause for issuance. While not explicitly stating this in those words, during my interview process, he made comments that indicated as such. Things like, "no amount of money is worth your life, or the bad guys life", or, "CCW should only be used should you absolutely need to defend yourself or your family". Again, these are not verbatim, but things like this were said and I was a bit surprised. The general feeling I got was that the Sheriff understands what a CCW is really needed for, and that CA's "good cause" necessity was not his main concern.

Having said that, I got a STRONG impression that they take very seriously the actions on an applicant and their past history. The Sheriff/county views things such as traffic violations, run-ins with the law, lawsuits, illegal substance abuse, breaking other laws outside of gun related laws, etc, as making a CCW applicant more likely to break the law if carrying concealed.....and that, to them, is a liability to the public which they are not willing to risk. In other words, they really scrutinize the character of the applicant. They will review your application, hold the interview and inquire about things on it. Then they will run a background check on you from multiple state and federal sources. If they find something on there that you failed to disclose, be sure that they will follow up on why you did not tell them about that. Failure to disclose information that could affect their decision WILL BE FOUND in the background check, so DONT LIE or WITHHOLD ANYTHING, otherwise they will see this as a Character issue; namely that you lack good character. Good Character is something that I sensed was much more important to them than CA's accepted Good Cause (this may still be necessary...I dont know).

When I was being interviewed, I made sure I told them about anything and everything that might even possibly show up on my background check. Even things that were completely out of my control, things I spoke to an officer about and was never written up for, trespassing on property that I did not know was private, etc. The Sheriff told me that he has denied people in the past because they failed to disclose (intentionally) some relatively inconsequential event, and when it came up in the background, he asked them about it and ended up denying them for it. But had they disclosed it when they had the opportunity, he would have approved them because it would have been no big deal. It was the lying/withholding information that caused him to deny, not the event itself.

So in a nutshell, if you dont follow the law on other areas outside of gun related issues, or are found lying or misrepresenting information or events, they see good reason to deny issuing a CCW to you, due to their belief that you will not be able to follow the rules/laws when CCW'ing (being a responsible and trustworthy CCW'er).

Oh, one other thing: I did ask him if being asked to pay up front after the interview indicated a better chance of issuance. He said that he will never tell someone after the interview if they will certainly be issued a permit. He said if there is something in the interview that will most certainly deny the person, he said he will tell them up front that they shouldn't pay the money because they will more than likely be denied. He then said that if there is a potential issue in the interview process, he said that he will tell you, "it is your choice" (it's a 50/50). If he asks you to pay up front after the interview, that means that there was nothing inherently wrong from the interview, and should the background check be found as represented in the interview process, then there shouldnt be anything that would prevent you from being issued a permit.

I am stating these things as to the impression that I got, not as fact or law. I think, given the nature of our "May Issue" laws in CA, the Sheriff/Placer County seemed pretty fair on the way they scrutinize issuance. I'm sure there have been things that have been unfairly treated and such, but I would imagine that, by and large, it's not very common. He mentioned Calguns and how he has seen in the past that when a person is denied, they will come on here and not tell the whole story of why they were denied to make it seem that Placer is unfair. He said that what they typically fail to mention is that they withheld information in the interview process or were caught misrepresenting or lying about something.

We'll see how it turns out for me. I was as honest as possible and represented everything as truthfully as I could. My conscience bears witness :)

Hope this helps someone who might be thinking of applying.

This is exactly correct. Good luck, it sounds like you've passed the sniff test.

It's refreshing to see a positive post in the Placer county sub forum.

trailbuster
02-24-2011, 6:48 AM
This is exactly the impression I got during my interview.....and I received my permit in the mail yesterday.

I was rather shocked at how well received I was during the entire process. Very professionally handled and I commend the Placer County Sheriff's Office. They do a lot for our local community regardless of what some people think.

pitchbaby
02-24-2011, 8:30 AM
I know it is pretty obvious that some of us aren't fans of the issuing policies here in Placer... but they have always been professional and courteous. That is not the issue, not even by a long shot. We just want what is acceptable for issuance in Butte, Yuba, Sutter, and now even (by some recent comparisons) in Sacramento ( and numerous other close-by counties) to be acceptable for issuance in Placer as well. This will either happen voluntarily by policy of the sheriff or in the courts as it is already at issue in the 9th district judicial system, but one way or another, it will happen. I for one, however would prefer a voluntary policy change. It's less frustrating to all involved, most especially at the SO when it is voluntary rather than compelled.

Canucky
02-25-2011, 8:58 AM
Have a friend applying today. Doubt he will get his. Reading these post refering to driving records. He also has a medical mary jane lic/. Would that also be grounds for denial? He doesn't use, only got it for a source of income down the road if it became legal. Read the app it mentions NO MEDS??? How about high blood pressure. Very poorly worded. He has took a ccw course in Yuba city and discussed all these issues with the guy running the class. Any feed back thanks.

pitchbaby
02-25-2011, 9:23 AM
Have a friend applying today. Doubt he will get his. Reading these post refering to driving records. He also has a medical mary jane lic/. Would that also be grounds for denial? He doesn't use, only got it for a source of income down the road if it became legal. Read the app it mentions NO MEDS??? How about high blood pressure. Very poorly worded. He has took a ccw course in Yuba city and discussed all these issues with the guy running the class. Any feed back thanks.

I can't imagine them being happy about the med marijuana thing. It would be interesting to see how that flies. Driving record probably won't be a concern unless it is 3 or more citations. That is just an educated guess on my part.

Canucky
02-25-2011, 9:38 AM
Thanks will update when this runs its course. The girlfriend will be applying aswell. She has property in different counties. Sac/Lassen/Siskiyou/Placer. Which one would you recommend? And if being denied in Placer can appling elsewhere matter? She has nada zilch infractions or run ins.

pitchbaby
02-25-2011, 9:46 AM
Thanks will update when this runs its course. The girlfriend will be applying aswell. She has property in different counties. Sac/Lassen/Siskiyou/Placer. Which one would you recommend? And if being denied in Placer can appling elsewhere matter? She has nada zilch infractions or run ins.

She needs to apply where her primary residence is.

Canucky
02-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Define primary? The biggest reason for her to carry is her rural property. We can be out in the middle of nowhere working on things. We have a house in Tenant (Weed). four thousand acres. Tree farm. There is a real threat of cougars. And ofcourse TWEAKERS. Guess I will get her to inquire.

goodlookin1
02-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Define primary? The biggest reason for her to carry is her rural property. We can be out in the middle of nowhere working on things. We have a house in Tenant (Weed). four thousand acres. Tree farm. There is a real threat of cougars. And ofcourse TWEAKERS. Guess I will get her to inquire.

What address does her mail go to? Unless it's a PO Box, that is most likely her primary residence.

DGoodale
03-03-2011, 7:02 PM
Can anyone confirm if carry is permitted at the Placer County Fairgrounds in Roseville? Not during the county fair but just for shows. I looked over their website but no info.
Thx!

dartbrandx
03-03-2011, 7:30 PM
dgoodale,

You might want to check out their website for a number to call...dunno.

How about cal expo? Perhaps a certain gun show? I thought I read somewhere that you can't carry at a gun show.?.? I won't be carrying mine because there will be a beer garden or fest or something that involves alcohol. I won't touch my gun even if I've had a sip.

Coded-Dude
03-03-2011, 7:54 PM
Can anyone confirm if carry is permitted at the Placer County Fairgrounds in Roseville? Not during the county fair but just for shows. I looked over their website but no info.
Thx!

i went to the last gun show and you were allowed to check and bring in firearms, however i didn't bring any. not sure if they zip tied checked guns or what. although there is a school or two within 1k ft. so carrying in the parking lot is a toss up(if you don't have a ccw).

as for other events....i don't see why you couldn't ccw(unless otherwise posted). state parks are restricted, but cities and counties are pre-empted, so i would think regular events are fine. IANAL

I have looked for this info myself, but found nothing specific to the county fairgrounds. i also do not have my ccw yet. :(

dartbrandx
03-03-2011, 8:19 PM
This was taken from here.

page 3 towards the bottom.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf

California Codes
Penal Code
(a) This section shall be known, and may be cited as, the Gun Show Enforcement and Security Act of 2000.
(c) All firearms transfers at the gun show or event shall be in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
(d) Except for purposes of showing ammunition to a prospective buyer, ammunition at a gun show or event may be displayed only in closed original factory boxes or other closed containers.
(g) No person at a gun show or event, other than security personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.

pitchbaby
03-03-2011, 8:24 PM
This was taken from here.

page 3 towards the bottom.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf

California Codes
Penal Code
(a) This section shall be known, and may be cited as, the Gun Show Enforcement and Security Act of 2000.
(c) All firearms transfers at the gun show or event shall be in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
(d) Except for purposes of showing ammunition to a prospective buyer, ammunition at a gun show or event may be displayed only in closed original factory boxes or other closed containers.
(g) No person at a gun show or event, other than security personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.

Does this exemption exist for those who are working for the dealer during the event as well?

dartbrandx
03-03-2011, 8:38 PM
That's a great question. Unfortunately, that's all that was listed on the law, so ofcourse, it's most likely up to "interpretation" :cool2:

I, myself haven't been to a gun show in a long time. I have however been to several gun shops. All or most of the employees of those gun shops are open carry. I wonder if they can open carry while working their booths??

dakine07
03-04-2011, 2:01 PM
I currently have a ccw and wanted to add a new gun. I purchased an off roster gun new with the one shot modification and then changed it back to normal semi-auto. Is there going to be a problem adding it ?

JeffCinSac
03-10-2011, 9:55 PM
To dakine07: I have the same question. Who knows? In another generic thread where I asked, no less an authority than hoffmang said a sheriff would have no way to know that's how you acquired said pistol. In that sense it should be no different than listing an off-roster pistol you acquired via ppt that was never modified, which should not be an issue. And if there were a question regarding modification of said pistol, you are in fact reverting it from a modified state to a factory state. I think it should be fine but there's only one way to find out for sure. Regardless, if you try please let us know the outcome as I'd like to do the very same thing myself. If you don't try it first, I may. I just have to wait for my new CDL before I can make any purchases.

jb7706
03-11-2011, 7:35 AM
I currently have a ccw and wanted to add a new gun. I purchased an off roster gun new with the one shot modification and then changed it back to normal semi-auto. Is there going to be a problem adding it ?

Nothing in the PC prevents it.

JeffCinSac
03-14-2011, 9:19 AM
To jb7706: That may be true, but in CA sheriffs have very broad discretion to, it sometimes seems, do as they damn well please. Nothing in the PC limits you to three handguns on your permit or says "no modifications allowed," but PCSO has both of those policies. Presumably the only way to fight those policies would be to complain, but as a current ccw holder I don't really want to rock the boat. Heck, it seems from reading this thread that people are being denied for lack of moral character in Placer for speeding tickets, ancient misdemeanor convictions, and other trivial stuff, so I would not consider it outside the realm of possibility to have trouble at renewal time be the result of any such complaint. Remember that the PCSO's policy for modifying an approved weapon is revocation.

Anti-Hero
03-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Placer counties denial policies are being exaggerated to the point of hilarity.

dartbrandx
03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Ya, tell that to the people who were denied.

pitchbaby
03-14-2011, 1:20 PM
Ya, tell that to the people who were denied.

Ya, ^^^ Literally denied for a few traffic tickets. I feel worst for "ThatRogue" Considering how many miles he drives... I drive a lot, more than most... but at 70K per year, he has more almost doubled.... it is utterly ridiculous that he can't get a permit considering his line of work... especially being that only one of his tickets was actually a "moving" violation. The other 2 were for a single chain on an empty trailer and no headset while on the phone... or something like that.

Time for a new policy or a new sheriff.

Coded-Dude
03-14-2011, 1:23 PM
I'm going to be going in soon, and am worried because I get a speeding ticket(usually always on the freeway heading down south) about once every 3 years.

jb7706
03-14-2011, 1:38 PM
To jb7706: That may be true, but in CA sheriffs have very broad discretion to, it sometimes seems, do as they damn well please. Nothing in the PC limits you to three handguns on your permit or says "no modifications allowed," but PCSO has both of those policies. Presumably the only way to fight those policies would be to complain, but as a current ccw holder I don't really want to rock the boat. Heck, it seems from reading this thread that people are being denied for lack of moral character in Placer for speeding tickets, ancient misdemeanor convictions, and other trivial stuff, so I would not consider it outside the realm of possibility to have trouble at renewal time be the result of any such complaint. Remember that the PCSO's policy for modifying an approved weapon is revocation.

There is nothing in the PC that gives the SO any leeway to limit gun counts, modifications, calibers etc. Doing so only brings unwanted attention by folks like CGF. I totally understand that you or I can do nothing about it unless we have the $$ to see it through in court. They will get attention as soon as the time has come I'm sure. Then again all it may take is a call to the right person to make this go away.

Anti-Hero
03-14-2011, 1:57 PM
Ya, ^^^ Literally denied for a few traffic tickets. I feel worst for "ThatRogue" Considering how many miles he drives... I drive a lot, more than most... but at 70K per year, he has more almost doubled.... it is utterly ridiculous that he can't get a permit considering his line of work... especially being that only one of his tickets was actually a "moving" violation. The other 2 were for a single chain on an empty trailer and no headset while on the phone... or something like that.

Time for a new policy or a new sheriff.

I'm SURE there are people out there who claim "I only had a couple of speeding tickets" when in fact they've got a lot more skeletons in the closet, and that is why they're being denied.

pitchbaby
03-14-2011, 2:14 PM
All due respect... don't talk to me like I don't know my own past bro. I am what I say I am. I was told I was denied for traffic tickets. It really is like that. Even Jessica at their office confirmed for me that this is common as well as Lt. Minton-Sander. If you don't believe it, perhaps you need to do your own homework.

Anti-Hero
03-14-2011, 2:22 PM
What makes you think I'm referring to you? But since you brought it up, lets see how well I've done my home work.

By your own admission you've had a TRO, lost your rights for 3 years, escalated a road rage incident to the point you had to have a local CCW instructor intervene, and have traffic tickets on top of it all.

I'm no expert on good moral character, but I'm certain all that was taken into consideration when the final decision was made. Do you disagree?

pitchbaby
03-14-2011, 2:37 PM
It is also well documented that the TRO was issued by the judge who admitted in the courtroom that I was not and never was a threat to the girl and he knew it, but decided to issue it anyway as a measure to help the "emotional" well being of the girl requesting it. Feel free to check out the court reporter tape up in Humboldt, it is there plain as day.

Also, I did not escalate anything on the side of any road, in fact, I was the one who talked the guy down and gave the signal to the CCW instructor NOT to intervene... since we are bringing that one up... I may have posted something about it here, but do not recall doing so. I am beginning to think you must be someone with privileged information at the Sheriff's office.

Through all of that, I am currently a Cubmaster, have been a sunday school teacher, I am an Elder in my church, and have been called to several callings of leadership and example in church and in scouting. If all of the other bits of stuff that have happened were indicative of my character, I doubt I would be allowed anywhere near children or have been called to be a leader in a religious setting. I personally am far more willing to call myself out on my faults and it is uncomfortable for me to cite my positive accomplishments, but if a broad picture of moral character is something to be determined, than I believe that all facets of someones life should be brought into serious consideration, not just the stuff that happens on the side of the road or when someone decides to lie about you to meet their own less than savory objectives.

Speaking of traffic tickets... It has been almost 3 years at this point since I have had one. Just sayin'... That has little to do with my desire for a CCW and more to do with me just deciding my kids were old enough now to notice what I was doing behind the wheel and me wanting to be a better example to them.

Anti-Hero
03-14-2011, 2:51 PM
I am not privy to any privileged information. I'm only repeating what you posted, on this forum. I have no choice but to take what you say on it's merits, since I don't have the slightest interest if it's true or not.

But that brings me back to my original post about people saying their being denied for "only traffic tickets" and not looking at the whole picture. Which I'm sure we both know Placer Co. did.

I'm sure you're a decent person, and I'm sure you'll get a permit provided Richards goes our way. But lets not sit here and scream impropriety on the part of the PCSO issuing policy.

pitchbaby
03-14-2011, 2:57 PM
Like I said bro... I am more concerned about Thatrogue... Honestly though... if they are denying for anything more than traffic tickets, but then just specifically stating in the letters that we get that they are denying for traffic tickets... why not just say there is something more? We were honest in our applications, why shouldn't they be held to the same standard?

Coded-Dude
03-14-2011, 3:06 PM
Yes...we have it better than some counties(there is a chance we may get a CC permit). However, it is not guaranteed. Legally speaking it should be shall issue statewide. I think you will find more people being vocal about may issue counties than no issue(since you don't even have a shot in a no issue county). So when one gets denied for what could be argued as irrelevant to good cause, you're going to hear about it.

thatrogue
03-14-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm SURE there are people out there who claim "I only had a couple of speeding tickets" when in fact they've got a lot more skeletons in the closet, and that is why they're being denied.

I'm sure there are people out there like that to. I am not one of them. I am the Operations Manager for the one of the largest repossession agencies in CA an NV. I have personally repossessed 3500+ vehicles and direct my operation to the recovery of +or- 10k units per year. That is a lot of volatile interaction with the public with zero complaints or police reports on my person or lic.

Placer County gave me the nod, and said my approval hinges on my background check. Robbed me of $210 finger printed me and then issued a denial using irrelevant PC in a badly written letter. After a ridiculously pointless phone call by Mittensander. Wtf is the point of calling me to tell me your denying me? Bad logic if you want my opinion.

I will be requesting my money back soon. I would just like to understand why collect all the fees and run a background on someone whom your are going to deny... are they hoping for a skeleton like Anti-hero claims all denials seems to have.

Btw... If anyone would like to help formulate a request for a review of the denial, I am looking for help in what this needs to look like. please advise.

goodlookin1
03-18-2011, 7:01 AM
Well, I wanted to let everyone know that I RECEIVED MY PERMIT YESTERDAY!!!

WOO HOO!!!!

And the cherry on top is that I also received an email yesterday from Tucker Gun Leather that they will be shipping out my HF-1 holster today!!!

Yesterday was a great day!

:jump: :party:

pitchbaby
03-18-2011, 7:14 AM

WOO HOO!!!!

And the cherry on top is that I also received an email yesterday from Tucker Gun Leather that they will be shipping out my HF-1 holster today!!!

"Like"

Congrats!

JeffCinSac
03-18-2011, 9:13 AM
Congrats and welcome to the club. Stay safe.

thatrogue
03-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Great! I'm glad to see you approved, I didn't scan through your post's did you say you had a point or two?

goodlookin1
03-30-2011, 7:44 AM
Great! I'm glad to see you approved, I didn't scan through your post's did you say you had a point or two?

Sorry, just now saw this.

Yes, and no.

Officially, I have 0 points for insurance purposes. But I do have a speeding ticket on my record from summer/fall 2010. Before that, I had a "failed to fully stop at a stop sign" violation and had two other speeding tickets.....but these three fell outside of the 5 year window that they look at. I did disclosed them anyway though, so it didnt look like I was trying to hide something.

In the 12 years i've had my license, I think i've had 4 tickets, maybe 5.....definitely only 1 moving violation in the last 5 years, and one fix it ticket.

ccwtrainer
04-16-2011, 12:27 AM
I've been waiting quite a while for this day. I just found out that I've been approved by the Placer County Sheriff's Department to teach your CCW courses (http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/ConcealedWeaponPermit/CCWTrainingSites.aspx) (http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/ConcealedWeaponPermit/CCWTrainingSites.aspx)!! Finally, feel free to contact me regarding setting up your training.

Sincerely,

Wes

dartbrandx
04-16-2011, 1:59 PM
I've been waiting quite a while for this day. I just found out that I've been approved by the Placer County Sheriff's Department to teach your CCW courses (http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/ConcealedWeaponPermit/CCWTrainingSites.aspx) (http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/ConcealedWeaponPermit/CCWTrainingSites.aspx)!! Finally, feel free to contact me regarding setting up your training.

Sincerely,

Wes

Congratulations! I'll have to look you up when my renewal comes around!

rocklinnate
07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi All,

I have read the posts here and I have two questions:
1. Will "self-defense" get me instantly disqualified for good cause? I don't hike in the hills, carry large amounts of cash, blah, blah blah. So am I dead on arrival?
2. Do I have to take the handgun training from a Placer certified trainer? So a certified shop in Sacramento would not suffice?

Thanks!

pitchbaby
07-05-2011, 12:03 PM
On count 1, I couldn't say. I simply don't know what they would let wiggle through on that. I can say however that I have been told by one of the employee's that cause does play a role in their decision.

On count 2, YES, it does have to be a trainer in my understanding that is approved and recognized by Placer.

Are there any Placer LE's in the CO department here that know better?

I hope this helps you.

Anti-Hero
07-05-2011, 6:59 PM
Hi All,

1. Will "self-defense" get me instantly disqualified for good cause? I don't hike in the hills, carry large amounts of cash, blah, blah blah. So am I dead on arrival?
2. Do I have to take the handgun training from a Placer certified trainer? So a certified shop in Sacramento would not suffice?

Thanks!

1) You will need to articulate good cause. It doesn't need to be overdone, just a few sentences why you believe you're at a higher degree of risk.

2) It will need to be a person listed on the Placer county website as an approved trainer. See here: http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/ConcealedWeaponPermit/CCWTrainingSites.aspx

How is your driving / criminal history? Traffic citations are heavily scrutinized.

rocklinnate
07-06-2011, 6:06 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I am not at extra risk, so I can't articulate one. I just want my carry permit. I had one when I lived in Colorado and I like to have to option to carry if I feel I need to.

Only issue with my history is a shoplifting arrest at age 13. Spotless since then. Not even a single ticket. I passed the FBI background check needed for Marine Corps OCS.

My brother just got his sac county permit. I was hoping Placer would be in line with Sacramento.

pitchbaby
07-06-2011, 7:16 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I am not at extra risk, so I can't articulate one. I just want my carry permit. I had one when I lived in Colorado and I like to have to option to carry if I feel I need to.

Only issue with my history is a shoplifting arrest at age 13. Spotless since then. Not even a single ticket. I passed the FBI background check needed for Marine Corps OCS.

My brother just got his sac county permit. I was hoping Placer would be in line with Sacramento.

Your not the only one who wishes Placer were in line with Sacramento. That seems odd to say... up until recently.... it was the other way around... hehe

Anti-Hero
07-08-2011, 1:37 PM
Thanks for the replies.

You're over thinking what good cause means.

If this is true and correct, you should not have any issue.

It for the most part is. People still get denied in Sacramento for offences, others did not get denied for in the same county.

Why not talk to a local CCW instructors and ask their opinion.

ccwtrainer
07-15-2011, 7:53 PM
Hi All,

Thanks!

I'd like to discuss your situation over the phone. I'm sure I can help. My number is (209) 401-0907.

dartbrandx
07-15-2011, 9:08 PM
Just watch the news these days. I believe every law abiding citizen (in good standing) has good reason to have a ccw. However with that said, it may not be considered good enough cause. It's a crap shoot. Do you visit your brother or frequent the Sacramento area? That place is a war zone with a lot less "good guys" able to come to your rescue these days. It's getting serious now. How many times do you watch the evening news and DON'T see a shooting??? It's happening every night. (talking about the sac area)...

Hopefully ccwtrainer will be able to get you going in the right direction.

Best of luck!

pitchbaby
07-15-2011, 9:33 PM
Just watch the news these days. I believe every law abiding citizen (in good standing) has good reason to have a ccw. However with that said, it may not be considered good enough cause. It's a crap shoot. Do you visit your brother or frequent the Sacramento area? That place is a war zone with a lot less "good guys" able to come to your rescue these days. It's getting serious now. How many times do you watch the evening news and DON'T see a shooting??? It's happening every night. (talking about the sac area)...

Hopefully ccwtrainer will be able to get you going in the right direction.

Best of luck!

Sadly, I am in a position where with my work lately and with my wife having to work now too... I am left with having to take my 4 small children with me in all of my sales meetings and deliveries all over Sac and Placer. However, Placer's SO see's me AND OTHER'S in dangerous work settings as "less fit" to carry, simply over traffic infractions (Even those that were dismissed or dropped by the citing officer as un-defendable). In my case also, I successfully talked down a bad situation where the guy threatening a fight actually would have been shot (By a CCW Instructor, no less) had he taken a couple steps too close to me... and that situation has found a way to be counted against me as well.

It's not even me I'm so worried about... but I pray to God every night that my kids are safe while I have to drive around all over kingdom come and back just to carve out a living lately. I can control most of what happens when we are on the road, but I worry over what can happen if we stop at the wrong delivery place at the wrong time and no way for me to protect them from an ill intended dirt bag.

My point as a reply to your post... I simply do not believe that what is happening in the news is going to make a lick of difference to the Placer SO. I mean no disrespect here, but it would seem they live in their own world of what they think is acceptable and what is not. I was actually told by a high ranking member of their dept that even though I would not be issued a permit, that I would be more than welcome to exercise my right to open carry. So, I take from that, since you don't have a clear good cause, they will MORE THAN HAPPILY welcome you to do the same.

dartbrandx
07-15-2011, 9:56 PM
Sadly, I am in a position where with my work lately and with my wife having to work now too... I am left with having to take my 4 small children with me in all of my sales meetings and deliveries all over Sac and Placer. However, Placer's SO see's me AND OTHER'S in dangerous work settings as "less fit" to carry, simply over traffic infractions (Even those that were dismissed or dropped by the citing officer as un-defendable). In my case also, I successfully talked down a bad situation where the guy threatening a fight actually would have been shot (By a CCW Instructor, no less) had he taken a couple steps too close to me... and that situation has found a way to be counted against me as well.

It's not even me I'm so worried about... but I pray to God every night that my kids are safe while I have to drive around all over kingdom come and back just to carve out a living lately. I can control most of what happens when we are on the road, but I worry over what can happen if we stop at the wrong delivery place at the wrong time and no way for me to protect them from an ill intended dirt bag.

My point as a reply to your post... I simply do not believe that what is happening in the news is going to make a lick of difference to the Placer SO. I mean no disrespect here, but it would seem they live in their own world of what they think is acceptable and what is not. I was actually told by a high ranking member of their dept that even though I would not be issued a permit, that I would be more than welcome to exercise my right to open carry. So, I take from that, since you don't have a clear good cause, they will MORE THAN HAPPILY welcome you to do the same.

I understand and agree with you. It's a stretch on the good cause. Even though there are real and true threats out there (I feel more than ever before) the fact is, self defense for good cause is sadly not enough. That just doesn't even make sense. But this is where we live. You are guilty until proven innocent and sadly, that's sometimes not even enough.:rolleyes:

Pitchbaby, I know I'm preaching to the choir with you on this one. I wish you safe travels everyday. The nature of my own work takes me to some of the most depressed neighborhoods/areas around the "beautiful" sacramento and surrounding areas. I do it by myself. I simply couldn't imagine doing it with my most dearly loved ones with me. Like they say in the hood..."it ain't no joke out there no more"

pitchbaby
07-15-2011, 10:11 PM
I understand and unfortunately agree with you that even though there are real and true threats out there (I feel more than ever before) the fact is, self defense for good cause is sadly not enough. That just doesn't even make sense. But this is where we live. You are guilty until proven innocent and sadly, that's sometimes not even enough.:rolleyes:

Pitchbaby, I know I'm preaching to the choir with you on this one. I wish you safe travels everyday. The nature of my own work takes me to some of the most depressed neighborhoods/areas around the "beautiful" sacramento and surrounding areas. I do it by myself. I simply couldn't imagine doing it with my most dearly loved ones with me. Like they say in the hood..."it ain't no joke out there no more"

Dude, I am tellin' you... these are desperate times... otherwise I would never in a million years ever think to want to bring my kids anywhere I have to go. I was recently swindled (for lack of a nicer way of putting it) by a biz partner for a hefty sum of money, now I have to resort to this in any attempt to still earn honest money. If not for my wife being able to get good work, I don't know where we would be. Even still, I keep thinking about Chris Gardner, the guy portrayed in "The Pursuit of Happyness". Although I have so much more than he did and am immensely grateful for that, I think I really feel a lot of his pain in having to drag his sweet little boy all over the place while he carved out a living. I have four of them and I can bring them in our beastly Excursion, rather than bus, foot, and subway. I know though, there are so many different things they would rather be doing. If anything, they are my hero's. They don't like it, but they do it everyday. Even my littlest son, almost 3 years old... seems to know what has happened to put us in this place and he does so much to bare it.

There are a million other things I think about, but when I think about not having a snow balls chance in hell to defend them, it makes it all the worse.

dartbrandx
07-15-2011, 10:29 PM
I really feel for you. These times, you do what you have to do to make it work. If your kids have go with you, then so be it. There's nothing wrong with that one bit. I just wish you had a way to defend yourself and your kids. It's just necessary these days. My wife works for the state. (insert anti union pun here) She is one that goes in early in the am. Not too many people out that early in the morning. Lately, she's been "lightly" harassed by the local indigenous population (bums) on her walk into her building. There's no way the state will let her carry a weapon into the building she works in. We are currently looking into pepper spray. That and maybe a baseball bat!

pitchbaby
07-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I really feel for you. These times, you do what you have to do to make it work. If your kids have go with you, then so be it. There's nothing wrong with that one bit. I just wish you had a way to defend yourself and your kids. It's just necessary these days. My wife works for the state. (insert anti union pun here) She is one that goes in early in the am. Not too many people out that early in the morning. Lately, she's been "lightly" harassed by the local indigenous population (bums) on her walk into her building. There's no way the state will let her carry a weapon into the building she works in. We are currently looking into pepper spray. That and maybe a baseball bat!

That sucks bro. My wife works at a medical facility. There is a very similar policy. What's worse, they don't even want employee's bringing in taser's or pepper spray. That is just plain messed up if you ask me.

Anti-Hero
07-17-2011, 10:14 PM
For these businesses that don't allow you to carry pepper spray, I'd document the incidents of harassment, then liberally toss around the 'L' word ... Liability. It may not be a concealed pistol, but it's better than nothing.

M1Hound
07-24-2011, 8:14 AM
i currently have an appointoint with Sac Co Sheriff in a month or so. Well, there is a chance I may move to Roseville. Assuming I am issued in Sacramento, will that transfer to Placer County/City of Roseville? If so, will it be only until the first 2 year term expires or will it be renewable since it was issue by Sacramento County?

M1Hound
07-24-2011, 8:21 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I have tried to follow the responses that have been posted. Did you apply in Placer County? If so, what was the result?
:confused:

Anti-Hero
07-24-2011, 1:28 PM
i currently have an appointoint with Sac Co Sheriff in a month or so. Well, there is a chance I may move to Roseville. Assuming I am issued in Sacramento, will that transfer to Placer County/City of Roseville? If so, will it be only until the first 2 year term expires or will it be renewable since it was issue by Sacramento County?

Cliff notes: You must notify SSD within 10 days of you move. Your permit will expire 90 days after the move.

Read Here:

Penal Code 12050
(f)(2) When the licensee changes his or her address, the license shall be amended to reflect the new address and a new license shall be issued pursuant to paragraph (3).
(3) If the licensing authority amends the license, a new license shall be issued to the licensee reflecting the amendments.
(4)(A) The licensee shall notify the licensing authority in writing within 10 days of any change in the licensee's place of residence.
(B) If the license is one to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, then it may not be revoked solely because the licensee changes his or her place of residence to another county if the licensee has not breached any conditions or restrictions set forth in the license or has not fallen into a prohibited class described in Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code. However, any license issued pursuant to subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) shall expire 90 days after the licensee moves from the county of issuance if the licensee's place of residence was the basis for issuance of the license.

Also: Having a Sacramento county CCW, does not mean you will get a Placer county CCW.

DeltaBronco
08-22-2011, 7:18 PM
how long does placer take to hear back for approval?

Anti-Hero
08-22-2011, 7:41 PM
The process from the date of your interview will take about 6 weeks.

TempleKnight
08-23-2011, 8:13 PM
The process from the date of your interview will take about 6 weeks.

Placer's new processes seem to be pretty efficient. It took me one week to schedule the interview and I got my approval two weeks after. My livescan will be mid-September. 6 weeks start-to-finish tracks with my recent experience.

beerbeer95648
09-12-2011, 2:49 PM
Recently I noticed a lot has changed at Placer. Looks like they are accepting self defense (see top of attachment) as good cause? They also have a new requirement of qualifying with the firearms listed on your permit. They also changed how they collect the fees. I am not sure if they now allow calibers larger than .22, or allow more than 3 guns on your permit. I dont know when this changed, I just know there was a big difference from when I did my interview 3 years ago and when my mother had hers a few months ago. I prepped her for a traumatic interview, and she came out of here interview laughing and making small talk with the interviewer.

Anti-Hero
09-12-2011, 9:26 PM
Self defense is what every agency issues for, even if it has to be extrapolated from a long-winded GCS.

beerbeer95648
09-13-2011, 5:57 AM
All I can say is that there has been a change. I recently had another family member go in and use self defense as her GC and was approved. The only thing she added was liking to do recreational things out in town. I also, know that the interview was friendly, with the interviewer just wanting her to be honest about her past. She had a few hiccups on her driving record, as well as a legal issue from 30 years ago. And the interviewer mentioned at the end that he was glad she was honest. On the other hand I had to justify every word of my GC to get my permit 3 years ago.

Anti-Hero
09-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Yes, things have certainly changed. :)

I was just pointing out the ironic need for "good cause statements" by some departments. In the end, it all boils down to self defense, so why not just accept "self defense."

beerbeer95648
09-13-2011, 12:38 PM
It is funny, I have made that exact argument to numerous people and it always suprises me how few times people agree (or even can see my point).

I am curious though, if any of these changes affect the policy Placer has had on lights and lasers. The new policy sheet they have posted does not mention this restriction. I am also curious if they will ever get rid of the common practice of only allowing 3 guns on the permit. Again, that is no longer listed on their policy page. The old policy page listed both of these.

I have lived in no issue counties, and shall issue states, and am mildly pleased with the progress Placer seems to be making. Although, I am disappointed in their addition of a qualifying line of fire as is now required.

pitchbaby
09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
It is funny, I have made that exact argument to numerous people and it always suprises me how few times people agree (or even can see my point).

I am curious though, if any of these changes affect the policy Placer has had on lights and lasers. The new policy sheet they have posted does not mention this restriction. I am also curious if they will ever get rid of the common practice of only allowing 3 guns on the permit. Again, that is no longer listed on their policy page. The old policy page listed both of these.

I have lived in no issue counties, and shall issue states, and am mildly pleased with the progress Placer seems to be making. Although, I am disappointed in their addition of a qualifying line of fire as is now required.

A little birdie told me a few months back that the certain policies such as lights and lasers were going to change... but I have not checked in since to get final confirmation. I think you would be correct though to believe it is more favorable. You may want to call Jessica to check.

beerbeer95648
09-13-2011, 1:53 PM
I dont think Jessica is involved anymore. They no longer deal with CCW's out of the records office. I think is now a lady named Elizabeth. I spoke to her just now and she said she is in the process of adding back the lights and laser restriction to their website. I had to bite my tongue, especially when she mentioned that they are still only going to allow 3 firearms per permit.

pitchbaby
09-13-2011, 3:35 PM
I dont think Jessica is involved anymore. They no longer deal with CCW's out of the records office. I think is now a lady named Elizabeth. I spoke to her just now and she said she is in the process of adding back the lights and laser restriction to their website. I had to bite my tongue, especially when she mentioned that they are still only going to allow 3 firearms per permit.

Oh... WOW... that really is big change!

beerbeer95648
09-13-2011, 7:13 PM
I was bummed. Jessica has been very helpful in the past, and was always professional. Initially I called the records department and was told that they just (as recently as last week) made the major change to their ccw program. They now have dedicated staff and phone line, as well as an online appointment program. All of which is now separate from records.

pitchbaby
09-13-2011, 7:18 PM
Looks like they are putting the fees to good use.

JeffCinSac
09-14-2011, 3:46 PM
That "self defense may be considered good cause..." is a welcome change. Of concern is the statement "no permitted weapons allowed at locations where a sign is posted prohibiting weapons.". Violation can lead to revocation. Note that the only restriction listed on my license itself is the prohibition against consuming alcohol while carrying. I thought private no weapons signs had no force of law other than possible trespassing if caught, asked to leave, and you refuse. Please discuss.

Anti-Hero
09-14-2011, 3:49 PM
Its just telling you, as a courtesy to the businesses that post such signs to respect their wishes. You certainly don't have too. But if a deputy were to be called by said business, they might not look favorably at your willful disregard for trespassing.

pitchbaby
09-14-2011, 3:59 PM
All I can say is that there has been a change. I recently had another family member go in and use self defense as her GC and was approved. The only thing she added was liking to do recreational things out in town. I also, know that the interview was friendly, with the interviewer just wanting her to be honest about her past. She had a few hiccups on her driving record, as well as a legal issue from 30 years ago. And the interviewer mentioned at the end that he was glad she was honest. On the other hand I had to justify every word of my GC to get my permit 3 years ago.

The SO that I know and that a few others have complained about would have likely ditched her app to the curb for a recent citation coupled with certain kinds of legal trouble that still shows up on a report after 30 years. Is this ladies result to suggest that they are now also taking a new stance on Moral Character as well as GC?

beerbeer95648
09-14-2011, 8:56 PM
I dont recall the SO that she interviewed with, but the impression she was left with was that as long as she was totally honest she was going to be ok. As she was leaving, he asked if there was anything she wanted to add. She then remembered she had forgot to mention that she had a DUI from 15 years ago, and at that point he checked off the last thing on his report and mentioned that she would not have received her permit had she left that off. Her partner had his interview the same day, and had the same experience. Both were granted permits. I dont know if these are typical of what looks like a new system or not. I was well aware of the issues as of late about driving records, as well as the issues people had in the past with decades old issues. I really had little faith she was going to be approved despite her being a stand-up member of the community, but am hopeful things are going in the right direction due to her experience.

Anti-Hero
09-14-2011, 9:06 PM
Granted permits as in they have them in hand?

pitchbaby
09-14-2011, 9:30 PM
Granted permits as in they have them in hand?

Good point... Thatrogue has shared on the forum that he was approved only to have been later denied over a traffic citation that I am pretty sure he said he disclosed.

beerbeer95648
09-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Yes, in hand. But like i mentioned in the first post this was about 2 months ago, and am not sure if things have changed again with this new look they have.

thatrogue
09-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Good point... Thatrogue has shared on the forum that he was approved only to have been later denied over a traffic citation that I am pretty sure he said he disclosed.

The funniest thing about my case was to have sat down talked to the ret. Captain they had in charge of the program at the time, speaking in depth about everyone of my indiscretions (all Traffic related... 2 speeding 7-20% over the posted/ cell phone/ towing over 55). To be told directly "when you come to renew I will not approve it again if this continues"... then to happily walk to over Jessica having the retired captain instruct her to have me sign my Actual Permit and do my live scan, pay 210 and then be denied 70 days later for my traffic tickets that we all talked about before I payed the F*****G $210.

I know it wasn't purposeful, I've been told that I was just one of the few that had this happen during the changing of the old guard to the current system. I still feel really crushed to be swindled out of my $$$ by my own County Sheriff's office.

So does anyone think it has been long enough to for me to reply? I haven't as much as even asked for my money back, after being told that I needed to put time between me and my traffic tickets.

ParanoidCivilian
09-21-2011, 5:04 PM

WOO HOO!!!!

Congrats

giantsfan
10-23-2011, 8:17 PM
Ok...I live in Placer County as have been considering applying for a ccw for quite sometime due to my business taking to parts of Sacramento that are clearly unsafe even for police officers.

I haven't had a traffic violation in 15 years nor have I had any "run ins" with the SO or PD of any city.

I have had a bk and a foreclosure though in the last year. Would that go against me?

Thanks to you all for your contributions to this section of this great site.

:)

pitchbaby
10-23-2011, 8:20 PM
Ok...I live in Placer County as have been considering applying for a ccw for quite sometime due to my business taking to parts of Sacramento that are clearly unsafe even for police officers.

I haven't had a traffic violation in 15 years nor have I had any "run ins" with the SO or PD of any city.

I have had a bk and a foreclosure though in the last year. Would that go against me?

I don't believe there are financial questions on the application. Whether they pull that info in their own research... IDK.

riprap
12-02-2011, 6:25 PM
I recently renewed and sadly did not see Ms. Jessica. Does she still work in this department?

ccwtrainer
12-03-2011, 10:52 AM

Your bankruptcy and foreclosure will not disqualify you from the CCW process. It's such a common occurence in society right now that it's seen as kind of a normal thing. I'd be surprised if you have to elaborate on that at all during your application process.

selfshrevident
12-04-2011, 8:24 PM
I just pcs'd to Beale AFB and am thinking about moving to Roseville. From what I've been reading it sounds like the traffic citations are the biggest hurdles to getting a LTC. I have only had 1 speeding ticket in my life, and that was a little over 4 years ago. That's it for law violations nothing else. For good cause I was thinkig about saying active duty military with high security clearance... Or something like that (which is true). What do you think my chances are? Do I still have to get letters of recommendation? If so how many?

Anti-Hero
12-05-2011, 9:27 PM
You'll be fine. Placer is pretty reasonable.