PDA

View Full Version : Orange

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

obeygiant
10-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Read the last few pages of this thread to get an idea of where Orange stands currently.

UPDATE (2015 April 05): In light of the Peruta 3-judge panel decision being taken for review en banc, Hutchens has decided to go back to her pre-Peruta restrictive issuance policy. (See http://ocsd.org/about/info/services/ccw and posts on p. 11 and following of this thread.) Thus I ("Paladin") am removing the alert symbol and "TIME TO APPLY!!!" from the title of this thread for now. (end of update)

UPDATE (2014 April 12): In light of the Peruta decision Sheriff Hutchens has revised her CCW policy and now accepts "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause. But she may change her policy if Peruta is stayed or withdrawn. Time to apply!

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department will accept CCW applications which include, in the “Details of Reason for Applicant Desiring a CCW License” (on page 10 of 13 of the California Department of Justice Standard Initial and Renewal Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon), that the CCW license is needed for self-defense or personal safety. Applications which include other reasons showing “good cause” for the CCW License as set forth in the Orange County Sheriff’s Department’s Policy 218, License to Carry a Concealed Firearm, will also be accepted.

If the Peruta v. County of San Diego panel decision is withdrawn by a decision to rehear the case en banc in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, or a stay is issued by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals or the United States Supreme Court, we may require applicants to supplement the “good cause” statement for the CCW License in accord with Orange County Sheriff’s Department’s Policy 218. (emphasis and underlining added)

End of update.

Twystd1
10-18-2010, 4:22 PM
OK.. What do I do to get a CCW in the OC?

Is it a waste of time at this moment? Or is it a good idea to pursue this route? I don't want to throw away my hard earned money and my precious time on something that is impossible at the moment.
What do you guys think? As I have no clue about the Orange County situation other than it is dam near impossible to get one from our Illustrious Sheriff whatshername.

What say you fellas?

Twystd1

obeygiant
10-18-2010, 4:37 PM

Is it a waste of time at this moment? Or is it a good idea to pursue this route? I don't want to throw away my hard earned money and my precious time on something that is impossible at the moment.
What do you guys think? As I have no clue about the Orange County situation other than it is dam near impossible to get one from our Illustrious Sheriff whatshername.

What say you fellas?

Twystd1

Not yet, but we will be phasing in each county as their acceptable good cause statements are available, and also as the policy compliance portion corrects any deficiencies.

It's also much easier if you're in the state of california. :43:

CHS
10-19-2010, 7:06 AM
Anyone know if Westminster PD issues CCW's, or must you go directly through the Sheriff?

crackerman
10-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Anyone know if Westminster PD issues CCW's, or must you go directly through the Sheriff?

All Cities in the OC have ceded that power to the Sheriff Hutchens currently.

dantodd
10-19-2010, 10:42 AM

What say you fellas?

Twystd1

If your time is too valuable to "waste" it on applying where you might be turned down this exercise may not be for you. This is a compliance drill and once we move on each county there is every expectation that some sheriffs will be recalcitrant and illegally deny people. If you are worried about this, or the $20 it costs to apply then you might want to wait until those willing to spend the time and money open up the policy so you can get your CCW via their (individually easy, collectively hard) work.

Doheny
10-20-2010, 7:40 AM
All Cities in the OC have ceded that power to the Sheriff Hutchens currently.

I'm pretty sure that Irvine issues their own. From their website:

Concealed Weapon Permits

If you are interested in obtaining a CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon) permit, please contact Sgt. Bill Whalen at (949) 724-7041, or you can email him at bwhalen@ci.irvine.ca.us for further information.

Doheny
10-20-2010, 7:48 AM

<snip>

Twystd1

I say for now, hang on. It may be a matter of just a few weeks or month until we know much more about the process for each issuing agency.

crackerman
10-20-2010, 9:01 AM

Hmm I stand corrected, last time I lived in Irvine and checked, the desk lady said it was the sherriff. About 2 years ago.

My latest info was what I posted from the friend who just got his.

Doheny
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Hmm I stand corrected, last time I lived in Irvine and checked, the desk lady said it was the sherriff. About 2 years ago.

My latest info was what I posted from the friend who just got his.

When I checked, they only issued about four. It would be very interesting as to who/what their could cause was and why only four people in a city can receive a ccw from the PD.

dantodd
10-20-2010, 12:00 PM
When I checked, they only issued about four. It would be very interesting as to who/what their could cause was and why only four people in a city can receive a ccw from the PD.

It is quite possible that they have kept the number of applicants low by not advertising their process and/or discouraging applicants before they ever apply.

John W
10-20-2010, 8:58 PM
This is very exciting. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to submit my app.

Subscribed!

Colt
10-20-2010, 9:52 PM
How do you get that info? Does it name the four?

Doheny
10-21-2010, 8:23 AM
How do you get that info? Does it name the four?

I asked the person (I think it was a Sgt.) who was in charge of CCWs and he told me. I didn't go into good cause, etc. No, he did not name the four.

However, I think that in a city of 200,000 only having four CCWs seems a bit off. Obviously someone knows somebody, etc.

popndrop
10-22-2010, 3:27 PM
I live in Irvine, so I called and left a message just a few min ago - so If I have any luck, I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

QQQ
10-23-2010, 8:57 PM
Let me know what happens, and whether the CGF suggests trying to apply! For $20, I would be willing to submit an application. I'm 21, not a prohibited person, and living in Irvine.

ripcurlksm
10-25-2010, 2:06 PM
looking forward to updates.

speedjunkie
10-25-2010, 7:27 PM
looking forward to updates.

+1

Love to see Sheriff Hutchens forced to comply with CCW issuance to everyday people...

lgm118icbm
10-27-2010, 7:36 PM
Seriously? Orange County only has 9 sponsors so far?

If I did it, you can too!!

C'mon people!
Every single person that is able should sponsor!
http://www.cgfstore.org/

kegs
10-28-2010, 4:43 PM
I live in OC, over 21, squeeky clean record, and would be happy to apply and report feedback if need be.

popndrop
11-03-2010, 2:25 PM
I called Irvine PD - they basically told me that they won't give me one unless I have documented threat to my life, and one that would be considered an ongoing threat. They said i'd have better luck with the OCSD.

PS - MADE MY CGF contribution for the CCW Initiative.

BlindRacer
11-03-2010, 2:44 PM
I called Irvine PD - they basically told me that they won't give me one unless I have documented threat to my life, and one that would be considered an ongoing threat. They said i'd have better luck with the OCSD.

How does one obtain documentation to an on going threat? I'm sure that you would have had to suffer actual physical harm, as well as some sort of note/phone message/email with specifics that there is a threat, and that it is a persistent one, that will not be stopping in the near future. Cause it seems that mere police reports of a threat are not sufficient (afaik from other posts).

I doubt Hutchens would give you any more than what Irvine did. I'm pretty sure Hutchens will be one of the last holdouts along with LA's and SF's sheriffs.

IGOTDIRT4U
11-03-2010, 3:50 PM

Nope. They send you off to the sheriff, too.

IGOTDIRT4U
11-03-2010, 3:53 PM

PS - MADE MY CGF contribution for the CCW Initiative.

Yep. But if one could look at who and how long they had theirs, it would make more sense. :rolleyes:

It's like saying Culver City issues, but no one really can recall them issuing.

Phanatic
11-03-2010, 4:42 PM
Looking forward to more info on this!!!

Doheny
11-03-2010, 5:06 PM
Nope. They send you off to the sheriff, too.

Sounds like a case for CGF. They (Irvine) can't issue to some then tell others to go to the Sheriff. I have an email from the PD saying they have two issued.

1BigPea
11-03-2010, 6:37 PM
Sponsored Orange County...standing by for updates.

luckystrike
11-03-2010, 7:00 PM
Im planning on applying for one in january.
anyone here from OC actually have a CCW?

the_donald_
11-05-2010, 2:25 PM
Sponsored, waiting for the "all clear".

:patriot:

dantodd
11-05-2010, 3:11 PM
Sounds like a case for CGF. They (Irvine) can't issue to some then tell others to go to the Sheriff. I have an email from the PD saying they have two issued.

Nope. For the most part CGF is going to focus solely on the sheriffs and leave the cities alone. There are too many cities to deal with, each city effects a relatively small number of CGF's constituency and if CGF applies pressure they can completely escape by filing (g) and letting the sheriff handle all their apps.

If you know that Irvine issues but they just don't want to give you app etc. Just download the app on the CGF site, fill it out and mail it in, certified, return receipt. This will count as submitting your application and if they give you push back ask if they issue to anyone other than Peace Officers. If they do issue then they MUST accept your application. If they accept your application then they must act upon it in accordance with Guillory and Salute.

You would have to do all the footwork to ge them to act on the application though. It wouldn't be easy and if I were in your shoes I'd sit tight and wait for OC actions to start here. OR go to CalCCW or BillyJack and follow the "old" method of getting a CCW.

GunSlut
11-12-2010, 5:54 PM
Irvine DOES issue and it's more than four. They also require the psych test, OCSD doesn't. Newport is the only other city in OC that issues. Laguna Beach use to till Chief Sellers came in.

GunSlut
11-12-2010, 5:58 PM
Im planning on applying for one in January.
anyone here from OC actually have a CCW?

688 two year general CCWs, 615 have the restriction "course and scope of business".
47 three year judicial CCW's, no restrictions.
173 four year reserve CCWs, no restictions.

Gray Peterson
11-12-2010, 6:08 PM
So, GS, when are you going to let me and Brandon back on the CalCCW forum without being muzzled?

smokeysbandit
11-12-2010, 8:44 PM
$100 Sent, Lets do this Orange County!!

obeygiant
11-13-2010, 10:04 AM
688 two year general CCWs, 615 have the restriction "course and scope of business".

So, GS, when are you going to let me and Brandon back on the CalCCW forum without being muzzled?

:gene:

lgm118icbm
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks to On-Target for supporting the cause!

Doheny
11-30-2010, 2:45 PM
What's the latest with OC?

straightpuke
12-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't think Westminster PD issues CCW's...I know they issue it to retired LEOs though. There's a form on their website that allows retired LEOs to keep carrying.

ripcurlksm
12-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Sponsored Orange a few weeks ago!

Lets say you live in Irvine and they issued you a CCW, are you good for the entire county and state?

dantodd
12-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Sponsored Orange a few weeks ago!

Lets say you live in Irvine and they issued you a CCW, are you good for the entire county and state?

Yes sir. As long as you are issued a standard 2 yr. permit you are good statewide. Be sure to follow any restrictions listed on the back unless told otherwise. You can get your permit revoked for violating such restrictions.

viet4lifeOC
12-16-2010, 9:25 PM
sorry to ask, but what do you mean "sponsored Orange?" Are people sponsoring other OCers to apply for the CCW permit?

I got my DMV driving record months ago. This morning I called HB police department to get a police report of a home invasion and called the OC sheriffs station this morning and spoke to Daisy (very friendly and helpful)....thought of 3 people to write me a letter...writing up a rough draft of my good cause letter...just getting all the paper work done to submit my CCW application in OC by end of Dec 2010 or early Jan 2011.

cntrolsguy
12-17-2010, 12:17 AM
I have a question since I would really like to get a ccw, back in 1991 when I was 18 I was arrested and convicted on 2 misdemeanor counts.
1: Carrying a concealed weapon.
2: Carrying a loaded weapon in public.

I was sentenced to 20 days with no probation after time served and have not been in trouble with the law other than a few speeding tickets in the last 20 years. Would this prevent me from getting a CCW?

smokeysbandit
12-17-2010, 10:21 PM
sorry to ask, but what do you mean "sponsored Orange?" Are people sponsoring other OCers to apply for the CCW permit?

People are sponsoring their counties for pending legal action. In this case, the goal is the issuing counties compliance with the law, and just issuance. The Peruta decision hurt us, but the fight presses forward. Many people have signed up as stand by volunteers. As volunteers we are basically on stand by, waiting for the GO word to apply in mass. I encourage you to donate to the cause as well as sign up as a volunteer. Both can be done through the Calguns Foundation website.

I have a question since I would really like to get a ccw, back in 1991 when I was 18 I was arrested and convicted on 2 misdemeanor counts.
1: Carrying a concealed weapon.
2: Carrying a loaded weapon in public.

I was sentenced to 20 days with no probation after time served and have not been in trouble with the law other than a few speeding tickets in the last 20 years. Would this prevent me from getting a CCW?
I'm not sure if you are a prohibited person. It really depends on exactly what you were charged with. A good description of prohibiting convictions can be found at http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/OrangeCounty.pdf Page 16 begins prohibitions. There is also a ton of general information at http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative
Best of Luck-
Brandon

luckystrike
12-18-2010, 6:24 PM
The big 21 is coming up for me, (in about 2 weeks) applying for a ccw is pretty high on my list. Should I apply or wait awhile?

viet4lifeOC
12-19-2010, 1:11 PM
So flooding the OC sheriff department with CCW application is suppose to help? Personally, I think it would piss them off. Either way...should we apply or just wait for a set date to submit our application?

M. D. Van Norman
12-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Wait until you see the list of known good-cause statements published. If your “good cause” is acceptable based on these standards, then you can apply. A subsequent denial would be grounds for an equal-protection lawsuit (see Team Billy Jack).

Otherwise, sign up as a volunteer with CGF and wait for your marching orders.

wildhawker
12-20-2010, 2:00 PM
So flooding the OC sheriff department with CCW application is suppose to help? Personally, I think it would piss them off. Either way...should we apply or just wait for a set date to submit our application?

M. D. Van Norman is correct, wait until we publish the known GC statements.

In terms of "pissing them off", this is about reforming the system. I'm not really concerned with how they feel about following the law.

luckystrike
12-21-2010, 12:05 AM
roger, OC standing by.

ontargetrange
12-21-2010, 9:39 PM

I saved my screen shot from the time he bounced me out. I show it proudly to any and all interested parties. At this time I know they don't want anyone but their own saying anything contrary to their opinion - afterall, unless you have partaken of the koolaid you are not one of them.

I just posted the following on the CCW donation page:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=353894&page=7

I am still waiting for the rest of OC CCW supporters to step up and put their money and time out here where we can all see it. For far toooo long there has been this collection of CCW holders and Instructors lurking here and spouting off on another site about what a "great" job they are doing and how they are leading the way.

No More!!

CALGUNS is doing it. I firmly believe that at this time CalGuns owns the CCW effort for the State and everyone should look to them for the experience and proper guidance from this time forward. Anyone else claiming to be in support of CCW rights and NOT supporting this effort loudly and CLEARLY, are in my opinion, full of hot air.

I may get a message from the Head Janitor on this, but I am tired of being the ONLY Vendor for OC. There are other Businesses, Gun Stores and Ranges, that need to be informed of their serious lack of support for this effort. I would hope that all those CalGun members in OC will stop by their locations, or send them emails, to let them know we, the business owners, have an obligation to you, our customers, to make sure ALL of your rights are protected and that you can exercise them to the fullest.

RJonesUSC
12-22-2010, 6:27 AM
Would donating more help move this along more quickly or is it the number of people who have volunteered that is holding things up? Is there a minimum number of volunteers needed to proceed?

hefedehefe
12-25-2010, 12:25 AM
ok i'M READY FOR THIS :)

ontargetrange
12-30-2010, 3:12 PM
I am still waiting for the rest of OC CCW supporters to step up

wildhawker
12-30-2010, 8:52 PM
The holdup is currently OC Sheriff.

-Brandon

M. D. Van Norman
01-01-2011, 5:46 PM
I’m shocked. :eek:;)

smokeysbandit
01-02-2011, 8:44 AM

On Target got it right! Come on OC. I'm broke as a joke, but managed to put aside $100. Everyone complained when Hutchins won election this last go around on the basis that she would not issue CCW's. NOW is your time to step up instead of just talking. These things are EXPENSIVE for the CGF to pursue. Put your money where your mouth is! I know you are shopping new guns, and ammo. Take a bit of that and invest in our right to self protection.
I'll get off of my soap box now, so you may all make your donations.
-Brandon

BadIndianSwamp
01-02-2011, 3:18 PM
I am in and on board, but I am concerned that all the statements of cause from other counties seem to be from leos, or retired leos, or supreme court justices, a rancher with a thousand acres of land, ffl owners, etc. Respectfully, how are any of us regular people going to benefit from any of these "good" cause statements?

M. D. Van Norman
01-02-2011, 6:49 PM
We may or may not benefit from this information, depending on the specific county. It’s just one more piece of the puzzle, but it won’t complete the process for all of us.

Essentially, we will all know what the minimum “good cause” is for each county.

popndrop
01-07-2011, 1:12 AM
I donated my money - but never got my cool "sponsor" badge thingy.

More importantly - would like to know what's really going on with the CCW's in OC. We need more information. What is the status currently?

M. D. Van Norman
01-07-2011, 8:46 AM
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/images/stories/Orange.jpg

twoyellowlabs
01-10-2011, 10:41 PM
I sponsored in December. Would gladly volunteer when the time comes.....two weeks?

ontargetrange
01-11-2011, 9:31 AM
I know this page is far into the interior of the blog, but this is a load of #@*& for ONLY one Vendor supporter so far.

Anyone reading this please talk with your regular store or range in OC and ask why they have not stepped up to the plate on this subject.

All of you CCW holders ask your past/current/future instructors why they are not listed?? I guess they really only care about this when you are standing front of them with dollar bills and they are the only ones that can sign you off.

Jubz
01-18-2011, 5:50 PM
I donated my money - but never got my cool "sponsor" badge thingy.

More importantly - would like to know what's really going on with the CCW's in OC. We need more information. What is the status currently?

I recently received my CCW; submitted to OCSD in Dec. Gunslut's post earlier in this thread has the numbers.
BTW, +1 for On Target Range, excellent folks and resources there, just bought an annual membership there to support them.

hefedehefe
01-19-2011, 10:45 AM
I recently received my CCW; submitted to OCSD in Dec. Gunslut's post earlier in this thread has the numbers.
BTW, +1 for On Target Range, excellent folks and resources there, just bought an annual membership there to support them.

link?

Jubz
01-19-2011, 11:19 AM
link?

Gunslut's numbers in Post #32 of this thread.

On Target Indoor Shooting Range in Laguna Niguel:
http://ontargetrange.net/

beemaze
01-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I posted this in another thread somewhere...

A doctor friend of mine recently received his CCW from the OC Sheriff. He is a resident of OC, and works in Riverside. His clinic was broken into several times and people have walked in off the street seeking drugs and threatening staff. So he had "good cause". In fact, I wrote him a "good moral character" letter late last year in support of his application.

CHS
01-26-2011, 8:40 PM
A doctor friend of mine recently received his CCW from the OC Sheriff. He is a resident of OC, and works in Riverside. His clinic was broken into several times and people have walked in off the street seeking drugs and threatening staff. So he had "good cause". In fact, I wrote him a "good moral character" letter late last year in support of his application.

That's not exactly what we're trying to fight for here.

beemaze
01-27-2011, 2:28 PM
That's not exactly what we're trying to fight for here.

Yes, I totally agree that "shall issue" is the ultimate goal.

For now, this is what is happening in Orange County at least, and it's a heck of alot better than what is happening in Los Angeles County. Clearly, Orange County "will issue" given "good cause." There clearly should be uniformity within the law as for what "good cause" is defined as, and should be applied equally throughout all Counties of the state. Hopefully, one day soon, "self defense" alone will be enough to satisfy "good cause" throughout all counties.

zking
01-31-2011, 9:30 PM
can anyone in here from orange county review my "good cause" letter and let me know if i have a chance.... i also have 3 letters from LEOs stating they feel i should be issued a ccw...thanks

OC-Indian
02-02-2011, 9:23 AM

It would help others to know what "GC" statement you used and background? (Citizen, Military, etc...)

BlindRacer
02-04-2011, 7:51 AM
I'm a civilian.
It's not a matter of what good cause statement I used since it wasn't 'boiler-plate,' rather my GC was specific for me and my justifications for a CCW.

I imagine if you web search deep enough, you might be able to find good cause statements of others that were accepted/approved for a CCW, but then again, those statements were specific for the individuals applying.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the 'theme' of your good cause. Just wondering what OCSD might be looking for.

For me personally, I'm 27, with a wife and 2 kids, who I would like to protect. I am also a photographer, and regularly carry around $4k+ worth of equipment in a relatively small, easy to carry bag.

I'm assuming that OCSD doesn't accept self defense alone yet, but would something like carrying $4k+ of equipment on a regular basis be enough? And if it were, would it only be for while I'd be working, or could it be at all times?

1BigPea
02-04-2011, 8:53 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what was the 'theme' of your good cause. Just wondering what OCSD might be looking for.

For me personally, I'm 27, with a wife and 2 kids, who I would like to protect. I am also a photographer, and regularly carry around $4k+ worth of equipment in a relatively small, easy to carry bag.

I'm assuming that OCSD doesn't accept self defense alone yet, but would something like carrying $4k+ of equipment on a regular basis be enough? And if it were, would it only be for while I'd be working, or could it be at all times?

Just to point out how crazy Hutchen's CCW policy is, carrying 4k work of photography equipment might fly...but because you want to protect your wife and kids who are priceless that wouldn't. Just amazes me that there is more emphasis on personal property than lives. It's similar to people who carry large amounts of cash and get a CCW. Yet, if someone is stealing a 2k stereo out of a car you can't shoot them. :rolleyes:

CHS
02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Just to point out how crazy Hutchen's CCW policy is, carrying 4k work of photography equipment might fly...but because you want to protect your wife and kids who are priceless that wouldn't. Just amazes me that there is more emphasis on personal property than lives. It's similar to people who carry large amounts of cash and get a CCW. Yet, if someone is stealing a 2k stereo out of a car you can't shoot them. :rolleyes:

Exactly. That's one thing about our CCW policy that most people just don't seem to get.

In CA CCW's are issued in the vast majority in order to protect PROPERTY, not LIVES.

Then again.... Maybe you could bust out some old-school biblical stuff showing that your wife and/or daughter(s) are in fact property, and priceless, and maybe get away with it? :)

Anchors
02-07-2011, 9:41 PM
Maybe you could bust out some old-school biblical stuff showing that your wife and/or daughter(s) are in fact property, and priceless, and maybe get away with it? :)

I lol'd haha.

What about regularly carrying around a $4,000 handgun?
Will that fly? I wouldn't want someone stealing it while I'm transporting it :D

(No, I don't have a handgun worth that much haha).

Brianguy
02-09-2011, 5:25 PM
Are we mass applying to OCSD yet? Did you guys see the story about the woman that was almost raped in Laguna Hills a couple weeks ago? That was right by my house! I occasionally go for a walk late at night and there are some weirdos out here.

There are only 2 deputies assigned to Laguna Hills and half the time they're at 7-11 or a park chatting up all the other area units.

BlindRacer
02-10-2011, 7:54 AM
Are we mass applying to OCSD yet? Did you guys see the story about the woman that was almost raped in Laguna Hills a couple weeks ago? That was right by my house! I occasionally go for a walk late at night and there are some weirdos out here.

There are only 2 deputies assigned to Laguna Hills and half the time they're at 7-11 or a park chatting up all the other area units.

Unfortunately I have not heard anything yet. I'm pretty sure it's going to be quite a while yet, for the OC. I'm expecting us to be one of the last holdouts. Probably not as much as LA, but probably pretty close.

I have a feeling that Hutchens is trying to get back at those who did not vote for her. The other two that ran for sheriff, ran primarily on a shall issue platform, and that pissed her off. So to get back at everyone who voted the other way, she's won't issue for as long as she can get away with it. This is just a guess, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.

RSC
02-10-2011, 8:23 PM
I know this page is far into the interior of the blog, but this is a load of #@*& for ONLY one Vendor supporter so far.

Anyone reading this please talk with your regular store or range in OC and ask why they have not stepped up to the plate on this subject.

All of you CCW holders ask your past/current/future instructors why they are not listed?? I guess they really only care about this when you are standing front of them with dollar bills and they are the only ones that can sign you off.

Hi Gregg,

I might be late to the party, but rest assured I will remember which businesses supported the effort and will conduct my next purchases accordingly. To my utter surprise I just found out that OnTarget is the only vendor sponsor in Orange County (and has been for quite a while, what are the others doing???). I guess that means an easy decision for me where to take my business to.
PS: Please let your staff know that they do an awesome job, always polite, knowledgeable, helpful and no FUD.

Best Regards,
RSC

luckystrike
02-10-2011, 11:07 PM

the next day she was arrested for admitting her story was fake.

I would also like to know when we are flooding them or whatever the plan is. im in.

Anchors
02-10-2011, 11:17 PM
the next day she was arrested for admitting her story was fake.

I would also like to know when we are flooding them or whatever the plan is. im in.

All that would do is drive up revenue for OC and we would still get a big NO.

I am really bummed.

I bet we won't get CCW until shall-issue is a state requirement via courts.

BlindRacer
02-11-2011, 7:50 AM

I am really bummed.

That's right. From what I gather among the other counties, this won't be a 'flood them until they cave' scenario. That will get us no where, fast. What the initiative is doing, is pressuring the counties to abide by the law, by approving applications with the same good cause as previously approved applications.

If they approve an application for self defense, then they can't deny someone who has self defense as their good cause, only on 'not sufficient good cause'. That person would have to be denied on the grounds of moral character, or prohibited person. Both of which are a little harder than good cause to have personal discretion over.

If they deny people like this, then that is grounds for lawsuits, and most counties don't want to get mixed up in that. However, ours probably will, unfortunately.

Be patient. If you've lived in Orange County your entire life (like I have), then you are somewhat used to the way things are. It shouldn't be much longer. But I would still guess at the very minimum, another 6 months. More likely a lot longer than that.

luckystrike
02-11-2011, 11:47 AM

I am really bummed.

from what I have put together is the OCSD and hutchens value property more than life.

That's right. From what I gather among the other counties, this won't be a 'flood them until they cave' scenario. That will get us no where, fast. What the initiative is doing, is pressuring the counties to abide by the law, by approving applications with the same good cause as previously approved applications.

If they approve an application for self defense, then they can't deny someone who has self defense as their good cause, only on 'not sufficient good cause'. That person would have to be denied on the grounds of moral character, or prohibited person. Both of which are a little harder than good cause to have personal discretion over.

If they deny people like this, then that is grounds for lawsuits, and most counties don't want to get mixed up in that. However, ours probably will, unfortunately.

Be patient. If you've lived in Orange County your entire life (like I have), then you are somewhat used to the way things are. It shouldn't be much longer. But I would still guess at the very minimum, another 6 months. More likely a lot longer than that.

how is hutchens sheriff? I have not met a single deputy that likes her and half those guys refer to her as "the *****"

BlindRacer
02-11-2011, 11:50 AM
how is hutchens sheriff? I have not met a single deputy that likes her and half those guys refer to her as "the *****"

Because sheeple blindly vote for the incombant. Doesn't matter that she was appointed. She didn't kill any puppies, so she's fine.
http://www.uncoverage.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/633564940352646100-sheeple.jpg

luckystrike
02-11-2011, 8:24 PM
Because sheeple blindly vote for the incombant. Doesn't matter that she was appointed. She didn't kill any puppies, so she's fine.
http://www.uncoverage.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/633564940352646100-sheeple.jpg

I loled, hard:D

guntrust
02-12-2011, 5:58 AM
I link to this Orange County calguns thread on a community toolbar I've developed for Orange County families (see link in my signature). Please suggest additions of local interest that i can make to the toolbar.

RSC
03-12-2011, 9:12 PM
Any news on peeling orange county? How long can she stall?

BlindRacer
03-14-2011, 7:42 AM
Any news on peeling orange county? How long can she stall?

I'm guessing that Hutchens will stall till the last possible second. She may even hold out past a 9th circuit decision. It will probably take a Supreme Court decision, plus threat of her personally seeing repercussions from not complying.

Then again, who knows. Orange County is fairly conservative (less and less every day, though). It's possible that she may fall with an appropriate court decision (one that impacts her directly - so not the Yolo case)

RSC
03-14-2011, 5:51 PM
... so we patiently wait and bide our time :sleeping:

OliveDrab
03-19-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm a resident of orange county looking to get my Ccw.

Would good cause be;
I work as An EMT where I often transport mentally ill patients who need to be restrained ect. I also pick up sick and or mentally I'll patents from jails. My work Is predominately in the OC area and often in my own city. In the short time I've been doing this I have ran into ex patients of mine who have harassed, threatened, ans verbally abused me. I feel that possessing a Ccw would stop a heated ex patient from doing harm to my self or others based upon our past experiences.

What do you guys think?

707electrician
03-19-2011, 10:45 AM
I would issue you a CCW

OliveDrab
03-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Thank you, but with "they" issue me a Ccw haha

$P-Ritch$
03-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Sounds like GC to me as well. However, with Hutchens one of the extremely anti-CCW sheriffs, your chances won't be looking too good.

dantodd
03-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Look through the gc statements of corrections officers, they are very similar. You should be able to supply specific examples. If they deny start filing police reports for every threat.

Doheny
03-21-2011, 3:39 PM
I'm a resident of orange county looking to get my Ccw.

Would good cause be;
I work as An EMT where I often transport mentally ill patients who need to be restrained ect. I also pick up sick and or mentally I'll patents from jails. My work Is predominately in the OC area and often in my own city. In the short time I've been doing this I have ran into ex patients of mine who have harassed, threatened, ans verbally abused me. I feel that possessing a Ccw would stop a heated ex patient from doing harm to my self or others based upon our past experiences.

What do you guys think?

My guess is that you'd need to have your employer confirm that a threat does exist. Documented threats would help.

With the current sheriff, I don't think that the fear of something happening such as you detail is good enough GC.

RollingCode3
03-22-2011, 9:37 AM
Look through the gc statements of corrections officers, they are very similar. You should be able to supply specific examples. If they deny start filing police reports for every threat.

Do you know if they actually issue CCW permit to correction officers in OC? The last time I check, they require a letter from your employer stating your duties and why you feel you need a CCW permit. Good luck with that.

Window_Seat
03-25-2011, 9:48 PM
5 sponsorships ($500.00) purchased. Any matches? Anyone for other counties?

I'm from ALCO, and we're fully funded in the +, so I figured that due what the OC CCW initiative is facing...

Erik.

luckystrike
03-28-2011, 11:09 PM
the only people with CCWs from OC that I have talked to have "conditional" CCWs I guess. kind of "only in the coarse/conduct of work" and whatnot. Kommissar hutchens is a stubborn one.

Im really itching for one tho. :(

Jubz
03-28-2011, 11:28 PM
My CCW from OCSD is "Restrictions: None" which I too have heard this is a very low percentage of the overall number of CCW's issued.

PatientCone
04-06-2011, 8:33 PM
I am strongly considering applying for a CCW in Orange County and would like some help polishing out my good cause and getting the process started. Any info will help.. PM me. Thanks

sima09
04-09-2011, 10:54 AM
What classes do we need to take to be POST certified?

steadyrock
04-13-2011, 11:05 AM

Hutchens is Sheriff for two reasons:

She misrepresented herself to the Board of Supervisors during the selection process, and gained appointment
When she ran for public election last year, a group of self-styled CCW experts and wannabe LEO fanboys from some other forum decided to run their own candidate and split the "non-Hutchens" vote, based largely on a grudge held over from the Carona days. Though their candidate came in dead last (by a LOOONG shot), he still took away enough in votes and campaign strength from her primary contender to hand her an easy victory.

Were it not for the misguided antics of a few, it is likely that OC would have a Sheriff today who stated he would issue for personal protection, and we wouldn't have to worry about fighting here. It's a shame, but poorly thought out strategies sometimes carry with them heavy ramifications.

BigfootHunter
04-13-2011, 11:15 AM
What forum was that?

1BigPea
04-13-2011, 11:17 AM
What forum was that?

I'll go out on a limb and say it was calccw.com

luckystrike
04-16-2011, 12:59 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say it was calccw.com

I was kind of thinking the same, same BS as a cop AND ccw instructor on there telling people "NO!! AMMO IN THE SAME LOCKED CONTAINER AS THE FIREARM IS STILL LOADED!!!!":rolleyes:

smokeysbandit
04-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Hutchens is Sheriff for two reasons:

When she ran for public election last year, a group of self-styled CCW experts and wannabe LEO fanboys from some other forum decided to run their own candidate and split the "non-Hutchens" vote, based largely on a grudge held over from the Carona days. Though their candidate came in dead last (by a LOOONG shot), he still took away enough in votes and campaign strength from her primary contender to hand her an easy victory.

Were it not for the misguided antics of a few, it is likely that OC would have a Sheriff today who stated he would issue for personal protection, and we wouldn't have to worry about fighting here. It's a shame, but poorly thought out strategies sometimes carry with them heavy ramifications.
This is incorrect. While I voted for Hunt, those votes for Hunter should not be vilified. He was a good candidate for our cause. In this election Hutchens was the incumbent and as such needed 50.1% of the vote in order to avoid a runoff. She received 52.7% of the vote, so regardless of any split that occurred between her opponents, she still got too many votes. The final split between Hunt and Hunter was only 7.5%.

guntrust
04-20-2011, 7:35 AM
smokeysbandit, i think your static, snapshot analysis ignores the likelihood that the acrimony, conflict, and confusion added to the campaign by Hunter's candidacy, endorsed by the Register though a longshot, inured to Hutchens' benefit in pushing her over 50% and diminishing Hunt's momentum.

1BigPea
04-20-2011, 7:56 AM
smokeysbandit, i think your static, snapshot analysis ignores the likelihood that the acrimony, conflict, and confusion added to the campaign by Hunter's candidacy, endorsed by the Register though a longshot, inured to Hutchens' benefit in pushing her over 50% and diminishing Hunt's momentum.

^^^^EXACTLY^^^^

One pro CCW candidate was enough.

RSC
04-28-2011, 5:48 PM
Is there any news on the good cause info from Mrs. Hutchens yet.

I know, retorical question, but had to ask anyway. It just baffles me how long this stalling of a "simple" information request can take.

frdman
05-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Is anyone else besides me having trouble signing up to volunteer on here: https://calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer-registration.html ?

Stryprod
06-03-2011, 8:43 AM
About time I gave a little cash!!! Newest sponsor for Orange!

RSC
06-04-2011, 6:02 PM
About time I gave a little cash!!! Newest sponsor for Orange!

Welcome and thanks for the contribution, we in OC have a teeny issue with our sheriff in regards to CCW and every contributor helps quite a bit to rectify the current situation.

Stryprod
06-06-2011, 9:12 PM
Welcome and thanks for the contribution, we in OC have a teeny issue with our sheriff in regards to CCW and every contributor helps quite a bit to rectify the current situation.

Yep, I am aware of her! Hope for the best in the near future!

Anchors
07-08-2011, 3:47 AM
I would issue you a CCW

:rofl2:
I would too man!

5 sponsorships ($500.00) purchased. Any matches? Anyone for other counties?

I'm from ALCO, and we're fully funded in the +, so I figured that due what the OC CCW initiative is facing...

Erik.

That is extremely generous of you, sir.

What classes do we need to take to be POST certified?

Peace Officer Standards and Training Certification is something people get before they become police officers. You can get a CCW without a POST certification and you can get a POST certification and not be issued a CCW (if you aren't a LEO who already has carry rights).

BlindRacer
07-11-2011, 3:34 PM
Does anyone know if Hutchens is withholding the CCW applications like Ventura County was? If so, would the win in Ventura help pressure the OC to provide theirs as well?

luckystrike
07-11-2011, 3:43 PM
what do you mean? was ventura not giving out the physical application?

BlindRacer
07-11-2011, 3:56 PM
That's what I understood from this thread...

CALGUNS FOUNDATION PREVAILS IN VENTURA CCW RECORDS CASE (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=452268)

As far as I can tell, Ventura wasn't supplying the CCW records. This win by CGF forces them to turn them over.

What I was wanting to know is if Orange County is withholding their records like Ventura was. And if so, will the win in Ventura help push OC to provide same.

luckystrike
07-11-2011, 5:39 PM
I dont know if they are or not but I would like to know. I have a feeling that the outcome on Ventura co will have no bearing on Orange but I could be wrong. She has already felt the pressure and dosent care. from her own words "if you want a ccw vote for someone else." VVVV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yODa7_0VcMI

Kid Stanislaus
07-11-2011, 5:46 PM
What I was wanting to know is if Orange County is withholding their records like Ventura was. And if so, will the win in Ventura help push OC to provide same.

For now it'll depend on what kind of people are running OCSO. If they're a bunch of boneheads you can expect more foot dragging. If their IQs average out to anything on the right side of the bell curve then maybe they'll see the writing on the wall. :rolleyes:

jmsenk
07-19-2011, 2:30 PM
This is definitely something I am paying attention to. Moving to OC from Florida, I feel naked going out without a pistol on my hip. I am a DOJ certified instructor, Military veteran, and regularly transport multiple firearms (which I am sure the state of California would not want to be stolen because I am unarmed) but I was told by an LEO that, no, that probably would not even come close to qualifing as good cause, and to stand by for the moment... and self defense quite clearly doesn't count as a reason to be armed (go figure) I'll be signing up as a Volunteer and as soon as I get some more cash will be donating (more than I already have at the last Gun Show... which got me onto Calguns.net)

BlindRacer
07-19-2011, 3:00 PM
This is definitely something I am paying attention to. Moving to OC from Florida, I feel naked going out without a pistol on my hip. I am a DOJ certified instructor, Military veteran, and regularly transport multiple firearms (which I am sure the state of California would not want to be stolen because I am unarmed) but I was told by an LEO that, no, that probably would not even come close to qualifing as good cause, and to stand by for the moment... and self defense quite clearly doesn't count as a reason to be armed (go figure) I'll be signing up as a Volunteer and as soon as I get some more cash will be donating (more than I already have at the last Gun Show... which got me onto Calguns.net)

DOJ certified instructor, and Military veteran, ha! You're not qualified to even touch a firearm, let alone carry one. Why don't you take some tactical 'campaign contribution' courses, and maybe a little one on one brown nosing classes. They may consider you at that point. :D

Really though, we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully within the next year or so, the right to carry for self defense will be confirmed by the courts, and we'll all be able to carry. Not just judges, police, and criminals.

jmsenk
07-19-2011, 3:28 PM
Hmmmm... a tactical "Campaign Contribution" course, haha:rolleyes:... sounds interesting, but I guess that would depend on who's campaign... and what they tried to pass off as "tactical"

Anchors
08-13-2011, 1:37 PM

Welcome man. Good to have another good person here in California with firearms and thank you for your service.

I moved here from Arizona, so I feel your pain. My dad lives in Florida and carries everyday.

luckystrike
09-05-2011, 5:36 PM
Any updates for OC?

Doheny
09-05-2011, 5:58 PM
Any updates for OC?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=473827

luckystrike
09-05-2011, 9:43 PM
Thanks

NiteQwill
09-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Any members of the military living in Orange County? Without revealing OPSEC, there may be a valid "good cause" for obtaining a license in OC.

Feel free to PM me.

(I will only forward the document to verifiable mil/gov email accounts.)

Solidux
10-10-2011, 4:09 PM
Any members of the military living in Orange County? Without revealing OPSEC, there may be a valid "good cause" for obtaining a license in OC.

Feel free to PM me.

(I will only forward the document to verifiable mil/gov email accounts.)

The CRIP issue turned out to be green (not opsec) and a overshot of the truth. Not a valid "good cause" as it happened in OK

isokratiaCA
11-10-2011, 6:06 PM
I'm a teacher/construction worker/delivery driver, over 21, married, with a clean record (no traffic tickets or anything), and interested in applying to help out. Can't think of any death threats that I've received, but I do carry lots of cash and tools around to some shady areas of Orange, Riverside, and LA counties. Feel free to PM me, but I'll also fill out the form thingy on the volunteer page.

Anchors
01-31-2012, 1:08 AM
I give up. I'm over it. haha.

GMANtt
01-31-2012, 7:39 AM
I give up. I'm over it. haha.

California wins again.

hefedehefe
02-02-2012, 12:14 PM
:popcorn:

M. D. Van Norman
02-03-2012, 9:28 AM
Can’t give up before we’ve had our day in court. :cool:

RSC
02-03-2012, 9:30 AM
Hear, Hear.

GMANtt
02-21-2012, 8:20 AM
Is there an update on this? Is there hope for us?

wildhawker
02-21-2012, 1:21 PM
Is there an update on this? Is there hope for us?

OCSO continues to delay access to public records. It is not something we are overlooking. That's about all I can say at this time.

-Brandon

Doheny
02-23-2012, 3:19 PM
OCSO continues to delay access to public records. It is not something we are overlooking. That's about all I can say at this time.

-Brandon

When will it be time to go Ventura on their a*ss?

wildhawker
02-23-2012, 3:45 PM
When will it be time to go Ventura on their a*ss?

I hope you'll understand when I say that I cannot comment on this particular matter at this time. :chris::43:

-Brandon

Doheny
02-23-2012, 9:29 PM
I hope you'll understand when I say that I cannot comment on this particular matter at this time. :chris::43:

-Brandon

Roger that.

mrrsquared79
03-07-2012, 5:49 PM

GMANtt
03-08-2012, 11:07 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d03604a0-1114-5316.jpg

Brianguy
03-08-2012, 2:40 PM

-Brandon

:banghead: C'mon Sandy get with the program

GMANtt
03-08-2012, 2:50 PM
Gonna move to Arizona when I have enough money.

Jumpnbean
03-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Where Do I sign up and where do I donate :D

lgm118icbm
03-12-2012, 6:41 AM
Where Do I sign up and where do I donate :D

https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=calgunsfnd&id=1

Every little bit helps the fight!

BlindRacer
03-12-2012, 9:23 AM
For us in the OC, is there anything that we should do to prepare for applying?

I don't know if there are training/classes that have to be attended before one can apply in OC.

I just want to get all my ducks in a row, so that when the word comes down, I can be one of the first to apply.

If I had to wait, sign up for a class, take the class, then apply, that could add 6+ months to the whole thing.

Anyone know if a class or training is required (or anything else), prior to applying, or can these things be done afterwards (or should they be done after)?

Also, if one were to take a class/training now, would that still be able to be used if it was over a year away for applying? Or does it 'expire' or something.

mrrsquared79
03-15-2012, 10:27 AM

M. D. Van Norman
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
As I understand it, there is no point in taking the training course until directed to do so by the licensing authority.

Doheny
03-16-2012, 1:51 PM
For us in the OC, is there anything that we should do to prepare for applying?

<snip>

There's no reason to take the training now. Who's yo say that the training requirements won't change?

You could always apply now if you think your GC will pass muster; otherwise you might as well wait.

viet4lifeOC
03-20-2012, 10:35 AM

very interesting. where did you get the info? link?

thanks

Oracle01
03-20-2012, 3:58 PM
Anything new in Orange County good cause statements being issued?

1BigPea
03-20-2012, 3:59 PM
Anything new in Orange County good cause statements being issued?

Sheriff Hutchens will not budge...

Doheny
03-20-2012, 4:08 PM
Based on post #137, we can assume that something is being done "under the radar."

disturbed1
04-06-2012, 7:25 PM
Does anyone know what the "donation" amount is to get your CCW? I know a few people that have them and they have alot of dough but they wont tell me how they got it or how much they paid. They all live in OC. One of the guys is a club promoter and owns a store somewhere in OC. He displayed his HG and LTC on face book and I was like,"whaaaaaaaa."
Wouldn't mine taking out a loan to donate for a GC.

GMANtt
04-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Only the rich and gangsters can carry. Sweet.

BlindRacer
04-09-2012, 8:19 AM
Does anyone know what the "donation" amount is to get your CCW? I know a few people that have them and they have alot of dough but they wont tell me how they got it or how much they paid. They all live in OC. One of the guys is a club promoter and owns a store somewhere in OC. He displayed his HG and LTC on face book and I was like,"whaaaaaaaa."
Wouldn't mine taking out a loan to donate for a GC.

Wow, you know it's happening, but when someone knows first hand about it, the corruption still takes you back a bit.

When you are rich in this city, I'm sure there would also be connections made with some key figures, and I'm sure that also helps when applying. I wouldn't assume a donation would guarantee you a LTC. You'd probably have to be friends of someone or other as well.

funurdiesel
04-15-2012, 1:18 PM
Sheriff Hutchens will not budge...

I can verify that. Almost 3 months after applying I finally received a letter stating "... it was determined that a license will not be issued".

Perhaps of interest... when they requested "supporting documents", I kindly pointed out that that was contrary to 12051(a)(3)(C). They wanted extra documents anyways.
:(

Anchors
04-15-2012, 2:09 PM
What did they mean by "supporting documents"?

Letters of character or something?

kasusbelli
04-16-2012, 2:13 AM
Hello All,

I've been following this outside of Calguns for awhile and found this thread recently. I also have a GC to carry, but have been hesitant on filing, because I want to make sure I write it correctly and convincingly.

What do you guys think of my GC?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=560596

Any input and/or opinions are appreciated even if you disagree.

Thank you.

funurdiesel
04-20-2012, 7:11 PM
What did they mean by "supporting documents"?

Letters of character or something?

They asked for ID, proof of residency and documents to support good cause.

JxPakman
04-24-2012, 11:47 PM

HowardW56
05-05-2012, 8:22 PM
Orange County Good Cause Statements (batch #1) can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/76-orange-county-approved-good-cause-statements-batch-1.html)

Doheny
05-05-2012, 8:46 PM
/\ Finally! Thanks to those involved...

ETA: does the number of GC statements shown, equal the number of permits issued?

wildhawker
05-05-2012, 9:29 PM
/\ Finally! Thanks to those involved...

ETA: does the number of GC statements shown, equal the number of permits issued?

No, this is a partial response by OCSO.

-BC

Mrbroom
05-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Wow.. They gave one to a Civil Engineer!! Dang it!! I am the Interim Public Works Director at my job and have Civils under me... And Baca denied me!!

steadyrock
05-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Yeah!! Stick it to em, dude! Thank you! :thumbsup:

Doheny
05-06-2012, 8:37 AM
No, this is a partial response by OCSO.

-BC

So what's the suggested approach? Apply now or wait?

M. D. Van Norman
05-06-2012, 9:31 AM
About what I expected so far. I guess I need my own HVAC business. Who knew fixing air conditioners was so dangerous? :p

Anchors
05-06-2012, 6:21 PM
I dug through it and definitely think I could meet the good cause, but I'm still afraid of being denied.

And personal interviews, possible psych eval, etc? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I already carry at work and home, the only other time I would like to carry is between the two and maybe when I'm out eating. That and roadtrips. That would be a good time that I have always preferred to carry where I am legally allowed to do so.

Brianguy
05-06-2012, 7:35 PM
Glad to see some progress. Donation sent :D

HowardW56
05-06-2012, 8:57 PM
Orange County Denied Good Cause Statements (batch #1) can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/77-orange-county-denied-good-cause-statements-batch-1.html)

Anchors
05-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Those denied statements seem to either be far stretched or mention defending others (non relatives).

1BigPea
05-07-2012, 7:57 AM
Orange County Denied Good Cause Statements (batch #1) can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/77-orange-county-denied-good-cause-statements-batch-1.html)

Thanks for providing approved and denied statements.

speedjunkie
05-08-2012, 2:52 PM
I see a lot of subjectivity on the Sheriff's part on who was approved and who was denied. Does anybody else see what I see or am i imagining things?

HowardW56
05-08-2012, 3:14 PM
I see a lot of subjectivity on the Sheriff's part on who was approved and who was denied. Does anybody else see what I see or am i imagining things?

You will find that in virtually every counties good cause statements...

CHS
05-08-2012, 7:56 PM

MAY. ISSUE.

Anchors
05-09-2012, 1:02 AM
From the few denials I can see, some of them are SO similar to some approved ones that the only difference that stood out was stating a need to "protect clients" or others (non-family members).

I think that is a sure way to turn off whoever is really making the decision as they'll probably think that you should go through the state and get a permit to practice personal protection.

I probably will hold off until it becomes less of a gamble.

Johnny Rico
05-17-2012, 2:22 PM
Looks to me one of the easiest slam dunk ways without having to go through some BS about owning a certain type of business looks to become as little as a private pilot.

Doheny
07-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Has anyone attempted a CCW in OC since the CG statements were made available? Any update on OC?

Hanse Davion
08-02-2012, 11:27 AM
I also saw on this thread that Newport Beach PD would issue, is that true? Can someone confirm this and tell me if there is anything different about going through the Newport Beach PD instead of the OCSD?

Personmans
08-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Can anyone confirm that Irvine issues their own? The website does make it seem that way, but I would like to confirm it.

Doheny
08-22-2012, 1:33 PM
Yes Irvine does issue, but last time I checked a few years ago they only had three issued.

Can anyone confirm that Irvine issues their own? The website does make it seem that way, but I would like to confirm it.

Personmans
08-22-2012, 3:20 PM
Yes Irvine does issue, but last time I checked a few years ago they only had three issued.

Sorry for the 20 questions, but:
Is it worth talking to Sgt. Bill Whalen? Have you talked with him at all? Also, do you know how many applied vs were issued? (or issued vs denied)

Doheny
08-22-2012, 4:31 PM
/\

I can't remember who I spoke with via email. He was polite and professional but made it pretty clear that they have a very limited view of what GC is. Not sure of their ratio of issued/denied. Frankly, even as restrictive as OC Sheriff is, I think you'd have a better chance with them (the sheriff.)

Personmans
08-23-2012, 7:17 PM
/\

I can't remember who I spoke with via email. He was polite and professional but made it pretty clear that they have a very limited view of what GC is. Not sure of their ratio of issued/denied. Frankly, even as restrictive as OC Sheriff is, I think you'd have a better chance with them (the sheriff.)

I shot them an email to see if I can get some information. I'm really interested in applying if there is a chance it will be accepted. Thanks for your help. :D

Doheny
08-23-2012, 7:26 PM
/\ let us know what they say!

thx

Anchors
09-03-2012, 6:44 PM
I hope they issue soon...
:twoweeks:

Window_Seat
09-14-2012, 6:28 PM
I just received an email from the NRA Members' Councils of California, and confirmed it by accessing the Michel Lawyers site:

http://michellawyers.com/mckay-v-sheriff-hutchens/

http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.cacd.541739/gov.uscourts.cacd.541739.docket.html

September 13, 2012 - In response to continuing complaints from Orange County firearms owners and Second Amendment civil rights activists, attorneys for the National Rifle Association and the CRPA Foundation have filed a lawsuit against Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens in U. S. District Court..

Here is the complaint (http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/McKay-v.-OCSD_Conformed-Complaint.pdf).

More to follow (of course).

Erik.

speedjunkie
09-14-2012, 7:00 PM
Finally...I was wondering when this was going happen. Great news.

DonFerrando
09-14-2012, 7:05 PM
Yesss!! Now this is going to be interesting...

Nirrad
09-15-2012, 9:46 AM
:popcorn:Sweet!

lgm118icbm
09-17-2012, 6:43 AM
I just hope this fits into the grand scheme...

BlindRacer
09-17-2012, 8:04 AM
Well that was a good start to a Monday morning. Nice coming into work and seeing this first thing. Glad it's not some no name lawyer. This could be great!

Phouty
09-17-2012, 9:39 AM
Tagged. Finally some action on home front.

1BigPea
09-17-2012, 9:50 AM
Awesome!

One78Shovel
09-25-2012, 3:52 AM
I am watching this very closely as well. VC Sherriff Dean applies the same oppression that OC Sheriff does.

These rouge policies need reeled in.

Good luck!

-178S

FoxTrot87
09-29-2012, 5:56 PM
I sent a letter to Congressman McClintock... I don't think he can really do anything, but if you've heard his speech on HR 822, you'll more than understand.

FoxTrot87
10-20-2012, 3:19 AM
I've also sent an honest letter to my District's Dana Rohrabacher who voted yes on HR 822.

NWE
10-24-2012, 3:18 PM
so i was just reading the newest pdf on the attorneys website and they moved for a dismissal of the county of orange as a defendant, does this mean they are going after sheriff hutchens outside of the county of orange? I'm not a lawyer and I'm confused..

FoxTrot87
10-24-2012, 10:00 PM
It looks like they agreed that the County Board of Supervisors didn't have anything to do with the enforcement of Sandra's policies. Sandra is all alone. Luckily, she at least has a "means" to protect herself.

NWE
10-25-2012, 8:09 AM
How long do these court cases usually last? months, years, decades? I got a new 5 inch 1911 i wana CCW for..

M. D. Van Norman
10-25-2012, 11:38 AM
We’re still at least two or three years away from a useful ruling.

FoxTrot87
10-26-2012, 8:20 PM
Reply from Congressmen Dana Rohrabacher. Looks like a canned response.

"Thank you for contacting me regarding Second Amendment rights. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

I fully support and defend the right of every law-abiding American to bear arms as detailed in the Second Amendment of the Constitution, and believe fully that this right "shall not be infringed." My commitment to protecting the right of every law-abiding American to responsibly bear arms has earned me an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association. I will continue to support the rights of gun owners who use firearms responsibly, while also working to ensure that those who break the law are punished accordingly. Please be assured I will keep the intent of the Founding Fathers and the Second Amendment in mind should any legislation come to the floor of the House addressing this issue.

Again, thank you for giving me the benefit of your views. Please continue to keep me informed on any federal issues of concern to you."

Sincerely,
Dana Rohrabacher
Member of Congress

FoxTrot87
10-26-2012, 9:05 PM
You know... after reading it a couple more times it might not have been a canned response and simply explaining he can only do something once it goes to the house.

FoxTrot87
10-27-2012, 7:48 PM
10/26 Court Denies Motion for Preliminary Injunction.

HowardW56
10-27-2012, 7:51 PM
10/26 Court Denies Motion for Preliminary Injunction.

in which case?

FoxTrot87
10-27-2012, 7:53 PM
in which case?

Dorothy Mckay vs Sandra Hutchens

HowardW56
10-27-2012, 7:59 PM
Dorothy Mckay vs Sandra Hutchens

That doesn't show up on the docket, and the motion is on the calandar for Monday...

FoxTrot87
10-27-2012, 8:37 PM
I only skimmed through it so I might have misread.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/McKay_Tentative-Order-Re-Motion-for-Preliminary-Injunction.pdf

mrrsquared79
11-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Ladies and gentlemen-

Sandra Hutchins has publicly announced she is fighting breast cancer.

I have to admit the thought did cross my mind on how this is good for us but then realized that is too selfish of me. My mom died of breast cancer soo I wish her the best and hope she realizes her time may be cut short and decides to spend ALL with her family. Take that how you wish...

Doheny
11-27-2012, 5:07 PM
We're not going to see any changes in their position until she is no longer the sheriff. I was in a meeting with an OCSD Capt & Lt recently; they said there won't be any visible changes in service delivery or policy while she is undergoing treatment (the meeting was part of my work, it wasn't CCW related).

FoxTrot87
11-28-2012, 9:12 AM
the SAPD's SWAT commander and a few city's area commanders feel our pain...

DannyInSoCal
11-28-2012, 9:22 AM
Ladies and gentlemen-

Sandra Hutchins has publicly announced she is fighting breast cancer.

I have to admit the thought did cross my mind on how this is good for us but then realized that is too selfish of me. My mom died of breast cancer soo I wish her the best and hope she realizes her time may be cut short and decides to spend ALL with her family. Take that how you wish...

My dad is the first to admit what an aHole he was before he went through his fight with cancer.

It really changed him.

I'm just saying...,

mrrsquared79
11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
My dad is the first to admit what an aHole he was before he went through his fight with cancer.

It really changed him.

I'm just saying...,

I do hope she wins the fight against cancer and I sure hope that she does have a change in heart but I don't think she will change that much to where she sees it fit to allow more liberal issuance of LTC permits. Just sayin... :(

siscokid
11-30-2012, 3:44 AM
How do I donate to the orange county CCW? I'm planning on donating to CGN period but I would also like to donate to CCW

HowardW56
11-30-2012, 8:29 AM
How do I donate to the orange county CCW? I'm planning on donating to CGN period but I would also like to donate to CCW

CGF Carry License Sponsorships (https://store.calgunsfoundation.org/Sponsorships-s/1817.htm) or CGF Donation Page (https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=calgunsfnd&id=1)

wildhawker
11-30-2012, 8:51 AM

CGF is the 501(c)3 nonprofit that is bringing the lawsuits and education to advance your rights, including the Carry License Initiative. We appreciate your support (http://calgunsfoundation.org/donate)!

-Brandon

siscokid
11-30-2012, 3:23 PM
I just pledged a measly 25.00 bucks a month for now!! I actually feel pretty good lol...

1BigPea
11-30-2012, 3:58 PM
I just pledged a measly 25.00 bucks a month for now!! I actually feel pretty good lol...

Nice! It all adds up.

Motorola
01-09-2013, 9:04 AM
Sorry to revive this thread without any new info, but I can't believe that a GC statement based solely on being a private pilot, and visiting remote airfields, was sufficient for issue in OC.

I have specific circumstances unrelated to my being a private pilot, and am just trying to decide which road to take...maybe articulate both in my GC?

Just trying to get a plan together before I start drafting my GC.

Great site, great info, and glad to donate to the cause.

1BigPea
01-09-2013, 9:08 AM
Sorry to revive this thread without any new info, but I can't believe that a GC statement based solely on being a private pilot, and visiting remote airfields, was sufficient for issue in OC.

I have specific circumstances unrelated to my being a private pilot, and am just trying to decide which road to take...maybe articulate both in my GC?

Welcome aboard!

steadyrock
01-14-2013, 2:36 PM

FWIW, somebody can feel free to correct but the licenses approved by OCSD in the last few years that have to do with a work-related GC are typically restricted to be "valid during the scope and course of work only" (or similar language). If you can articulate a GC that relates to your non-work life, it should increase your chances of getting an unrestricted license. YMMV, and good luck.

BumBum
01-17-2013, 9:33 PM
How long has it been taking people to get a determination on GC? I submitted an application this past summer, and I still haven't received a yes or no. I check in periodically with the department, and I keep getting responses that they are undergoing staffing changes and what not.

Doheny
01-18-2013, 9:33 AM
How long has it been taking people to get a determination on GC? I submitted an application this past summer, and I still haven't received a yes or no. I check in periodically with the department, and I keep getting responses that they are undergoing staffing changes and what not.

Here's what the applicable PC section says about the application time frame:

26205. The licensing authority shall give written notice to the
applicant indicating if the license under this article is approved or
denied. The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90
days of the initial application for a new license or a license
renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal
background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later.
If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement
was not satisfied.

As you can see, they're way over due in giving you an answer. You can call them and gently tell them so, which probably will p*ss them off and get you denied, or you can continue to wait.

FoxTrot87
01-27-2013, 8:49 AM
It looks like the Bradys and Friends have joined the party... They seem to present their argument the Gura way though from a more theological viewpoint.

I haven't followed too many cases but it sounds like we just want to take this to a higher power. I can't read the Judge's context but they seemed less than concerned.

Edit: Would be nice to call them out for using the term "gun violence" while ignoring the other aspects of crime.

M. D. Van Norman
01-27-2013, 6:38 PM
I’m guessing they subscribe to the juvenile notion that the “manly” way to settle conflicts is with fistfights wherein, magically, no one is ever crippled or killed.

Anchors
02-09-2013, 2:41 AM
I’m guessing they subscribe to the juvenile notion that the “manly” way to settle conflicts is with fistfights wherein, magically, no one is ever crippled or killed.

I've heard that from many anti-gun people.

I like to point out that according to the FBI in 2010, twice as many people were beaten to death than shot with rifles of any kind (including AR-15s, AK47s, etc), so the idea that you can just "slug it out" and everything will end well is ridiculous.

Two situations:
1. You are in danger of losing your life and you have only one option.
2. You aren't in danger and you can diffuse the situation or simply walk away.

People who don't own guns usually don't understand this until they own guns.

luckystrike
02-27-2013, 5:24 PM
she step down yet??

Brianguy
03-11-2013, 1:42 PM
Anything going on in OC?

steadyrock
03-18-2013, 8:57 AM
Anything going on in OC?

The case is proceeding. You can keep up with legal updates from Michel's office here (http://michellawyers.com/mckay-v-sheriff-hutchens/).

El Toro
04-28-2013, 7:36 PM
Links to Good Cause Statements are DEAD. (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/76-orange-county-approved-good-cause-statements-batch-1.html)

http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/76-orange-county-approved-good-cause-statements-batch-1.html

ripcurlksm
05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Links to Good Cause Statements are DEAD. (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/76-orange-county-approved-good-cause-statements-batch-1.html)

http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/76-orange-county-approved-good-cause-statements-batch-1.html

Not sure if its related but there was some criticism from someone at calccw forums for posting GC statements?

HowardW56
05-01-2013, 1:29 PM
Not sure if its related but there was some criticism from someone at calccw forums for posting GC statements?

There has always been criticism at Calccw....

Doheny
05-07-2013, 8:55 PM
There has always been criticism at Calccw....

They (that other website) are irrelevant and have been for a long time. CalGuns is the power player in the CCW arena.

steadyrock
05-08-2013, 12:43 PM

Because Greg Block (CCWInstructor, GunSlut, et al.) makes his living reviewing people's private good cause statements and then consulting them on how to navigate the shrouded mystery of CCW issuance within the OCSD. He doesn't understand the law (even though he is a part-time volunteer pretend cop working the mean beat in Villa Park) and he is afraid of light chasing away the shadows that put food on his table. It is PRIMARILY the fault of Greg and his friends at CalCCW that we are in the situation we are in, since their strawman phony candidate Craig Hunter pulled *just* enough support away from Carona nemesis Bill Hunt, to hand the victory to Sandra Hutchens. Bill was a strong supporter of CCW rights and would have had a policy as close to "Shall Issue" as we could have had under current law. But that would have hurt Block's business and so he started a movement to draft an anti-Hunt candidate instead. Beside that, there was an ax to grind from old business within the Carona administration relating to Hunt, and some of CalCCW's roots run deep within OCSD.

Like Doheny said, CalCCW are irrelevant now. Their biggest opportunity was four years ago during Hutchens' first confirmation, and instead of taking it seriously they showed up at Board of Supervisor meetings with big fake Groucho Marx glasses and phony bow ties and buttons festooning their lapels and generally made clowns of themselves (and gun owners by proxy) when they had an important audience. And that's not the only time...

Ignore them.

1BigPea
05-08-2013, 1:00 PM
^^^
Well said. Bill Hunt should be our Sheriff right now, but because of Hunter it ruined his chance.

rritchie
05-08-2013, 6:54 PM
Hello, The links at the top for an approval/ disapproval said "page not found" anyone else have any links to information like that?

M. D. Van Norman
05-09-2013, 9:05 AM
You'll notice the entirely new website that went up in late March. The downside was that we lost some of the old content. Restoring some of the more complex content, like the Initiative, is an ongoing process. I will note, however, that we're running a full new statewide audit of policies, etc. so the information that goes up at the new site will be current.

-Brandon

P.S. We'll also be scoring each county objectively. We're going to show people how friendly their county sheriff really is (or isn't).

Per Brandon Combs.

Anchors
05-30-2013, 11:26 PM
:[

Sigh.

Doheny
05-30-2013, 11:50 PM
It is PRIMARILY the fault of Greg and his friends at CalCCW that we are in the situation we are in, since their strawman phony candidate Craig Hunter pulled *just* enough support away from Carona nemesis Bill Hunt, to hand the victory to Sandra Hutchens. Bill was a strong supporter of CCW rights and would have had a policy as close to "Shall Issue" as we could have had under current law. But that would have hurt Block's business and so he started a movement to draft an anti-Hunt candidate instead. Beside that, there was an ax to grind from old business within the Carona administration relating to Hunt, and some of CalCCW's roots run deep within OCSD

No doubt Bill would have liked to been sheriff and it would have been good for us, but he did ok:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2013/04/bill_hunt_orange_county_sherif.php

:thumbsup:

VegasNick702
06-14-2013, 5:24 PM
^^^
Well said. Bill Hunt should be our Sheriff right now, but because of Hunter it ruined his chance.

Nobody hurt Hunt's chance other than Hunt when he decided to play for the dark side assisting defense attorneys who represented scumbag rapists and gang bangers. Hunt lost a lot of support in the LE community when his work as a PI and who he worked for was brought to light.

Doheny
06-14-2013, 6:54 PM
/\ can't fault him for his PI work, he had to make a living after being demoted and leaving the S.O. He got his rank and $ back and Corona is in jail. Kudos to hunt.

FilmGuy
06-15-2013, 8:21 AM
Oh please... Give it a rest Vegas. Enough with the us vs them law enforcement mentality. Perhaps if the unions had not acted like a bunch of emotional and ignorant children they could see the bigger picture. Everyone deserves a fair trial even scumbag gang bangers and cops accused of a crime. If the police & DA aren't confident in their investigation and willing to make sure all evidence is presented, well that is the bigger issue.

If the unions had spoken with Bill and learned that a lot of the times he is brought in and ends up telling the Defense that his investigation confirms what the Police have found, maybe the unions would not have taken their ball and gone home. Of course what you fail to mention is that the case the union and KCBS made such a big deal about fell apart post election and the kid walked.

scoobyj
08-14-2013, 7:06 PM
I am working on my good cause statement. I should have copies the good cause statements when they were online months ago. Does anyone have copies of the accepted Orange County GC Statements? :confused:

HowardW56
08-14-2013, 7:09 PM
I am working on my good cause statement. I should have copies the good cause statements when they were online months ago. Does anyone have copies of the accepted Orange County GC Statements? :confused:

YEP

Ivan Dan
08-23-2013, 2:21 PM
YEP

Care to share them? PM or email (DanMKaatz@aol.com) would be great! :D

Capt1776
09-23-2013, 8:04 PM
YEP

I would really appreciate a copy of that as well. Thank you!

Sillyguy
09-23-2013, 8:16 PM
I'd love a copy of the good cause statements too

ningATningwong.com

thanks!

Spyrish
09-26-2013, 2:39 PM
Just moved here from IE. I applied years ago with RPD, they said I was well qualified, but didn't meet the dept requirements.

I have all my info ready to go for an application out here. Any help with GCS would be nice. I have friends who got their permits for being avid shooters, I don't think that is allowed anymore.

M. D. Van Norman
09-27-2013, 7:27 AM
Avid shooters were some of the people Sheriff Hutchens revoked or expired early.

steadyrock
10-23-2013, 5:00 PM
Oral arguments in this case were on October 7. Does anybody have an update on how they went, or when we can expect a ruling?

luckystrike
11-16-2013, 11:25 AM
nope. dont expect a ccw until hutchens terms out or taps out.

I used to hold hope for obtaining one, even Gene said we could prob get one by 4th of July.....2011.

romadant
12-11-2013, 12:12 PM
???

No updates from oral arguments? Just waiting on next step?