PDA

View Full Version : Napa

obeygiant
10-14-2010, 11:21 PM
UPDATE (2015 April 07):

Only info. re. CCWs on Napa County Sheriff's Department website is found here:
http://www.countyofnapa.org/Pages/DepartmentContent.aspx?id=4294969395

Records

The Sheriffs Records is located at 1535 Airport Blvd., Napa, CA 94558, on the second floor. This section is responsible for

* document storage, retrieval, and management
* managing all official sheriff's reports, records, and statistical information
* housing all booking records and arrest warrants

The section is staffed by legal clerks, who keep it operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The Records section is open to the public Monday through Friday 8am 5pm to assist the public with Livescan and ink fingerprinting, records requests pursuant to the Public Records Act, vehicle storage or impound releases, Concealed Carry Weapon permit applications and renewals and various other services. You may call 707-253-4440 for inquiries and assistance.

Only info. re. CCWs on City of Napa Police Department website is found here:
http://www.napapolice.com/concealed-weapons-permit.html

Concealed Weapons Permit

For further information regarding the CCW process or application, contact Sgt. Mike Hensley by email: mhensley@cityofnapa.org or by phone at (707) 258-7885.

F-2_Challenger
10-28-2010, 1:31 PM
Question if pd says no can one go to the area sheriff?

kimberman
11-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Sheriff has responsibility for unincorporated county and cities that have given SO authority to issue permits, such as American Canyon, Yountville, etc. (Napa PD issues for City of Napa).

thedrse
11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
For the record, I found the NPD to be quite accomodating during the process of aquiring my CCW.

Gray Peterson
11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
None of this matters. The sheriff MUST accept all applications from all county residents, regardless of one's residency in a city.

dantodd
11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
If you get a rejection letter from a sheriff that says you must apply at the city first please forward those letters to Brandon or Gray.

Epeescott
11-18-2010, 9:29 AM
Has anyone seen the fees lately at Napa PD? Holy cow, over $200 for a new license and over $100 for a renewal. I just sent an email to CGF.

Also, what about this interview at every renewal requirement?

When I did my renewal in July, LT Peecook actually told me that all police officers consider anyone with a firearm a criminal. Now, I know that isn't true, as I have several friends who are officers in many jurisdictions, including Napa...........But that's the mindset of the person we have to interview with!

dantodd
11-18-2010, 9:38 AM
Has anyone seen the fees lately at Napa PD? Holy cow, over $200 for a new license and over $100 for a renewal. I just sent an email to CGF.

Also, what about this interview at every renewal requirement?

When I did my renewal in July, LT Peecook actually told me that all police officers consider anyone with a firearm a criminal. Now, I know that isn't true, as I have several friends who are officers in many jurisdictions, including Napa...........But that's the mindset of the person we have to interview with!

Thanks for forwarding the fee schedule, as you can see from Sonoma the CGF guys take that seriously.

As for your renewal interview as long as they issue in accordance with the law and their GC policy then just gut it out and don't worry about the opinion of the interviewer. It is possibly a ruse to try and dissuade applicants. Once you are safe from retribution via revocation it might be worth while to file a complaint but for now it is probably better to work on getting into a position where you can defend yourself.

KLABruin
11-18-2010, 8:45 PM
The Napa sheriffs CCW policy is littered with illegalities.

F-2_Challenger
11-20-2010, 8:31 AM
So you would prefer that I start at the sheriffs office?

wildhawker
11-20-2010, 9:46 AM
Yes, because the Sheriff must accept applications. PD's are not worth turning (chiefs are appointed, turn over fairly often, and are not compelled the same way Sheriffs are).

AmCanCCW
01-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Has anyone here been successful with being issued a CCW in Napa County recently? Been waiting for Calguns to release the 'just cause' statements since November 2010.

Ginuwite
01-24-2011, 3:09 AM
The Napa sheriffs CCW policy is littered with illegalities.

What sort of illegalities can we expect to encounter when applying with the Napa Sheriff???

beertinted
04-11-2011, 3:36 PM
I live and work within the City of Napa limits - should I be applying with the Sheriff's Office, or Napa PD? (Has Napa PD deferred to SO?)
Thanks.

NapaCountyShooter
04-16-2011, 7:47 AM
I live and work within the City of Napa limits - should I be applying with the Sheriff's Office, or Napa PD? (Has Napa PD deferred to SO?)
Thanks.

Look to posts 10 and 11.

FishNFool
10-05-2011, 2:06 PM
So I just got my new pistol. I have never added a pistol to my permit. The Napa Co. sheriffs office was awesome. I simply went to the S.O., asked what do I do, filled out a bit of paperwork, paid my $10, new thumb prints on the new permit. In and out in less than 15 minutes. Just wanted to pass on a big thanks to Sheriff Koford and his staff for being very friendly, courteous and professional and making the process very straight forward. The young lady handling the modification was very friendly and helpful. Thanks again

I can confirm Napa CO allows at least 4 guns on the permit. The one I added was my fourth.

brushfire21
10-11-2011, 8:25 AM
Looking at going forward with an LTC application with Napa SO, what have they typically wanted in the way of a firearms coarse in the past and what fee's is NAPA S.O. requiring for the permit? I scanned through the application that is online but didn't see anything regarding fee's on it, so I may be blind or they didn't list them.

FishNFool
10-12-2011, 12:56 AM
I think it was 112$ for the app. But I don't remember if that included live scan cost. The folks at the counter at the S.O. Are very helpful and can answer all your questions. I know they accept R&D security where I did mine. And they accept Frazier Baptist at center mass. And the guys at the last gun shop in Napa. Give them a call to make sure as it has been almost two years since I got mine. If you have questions about good cause send me a PM. Also napa co requires a face to face interview with the undersherrif. I was a bit nervous doing mine but it really wasn't a big deal.

F-2_Challenger
02-04-2012, 9:42 PM
The Napa Sheriff's office will refuse to take your CCW application if you live within the Napa city limits. They want you to apply with the Napa PD. As of today the Napa PD still requires the use of Character reference letters, a specific shoot and a possible inspection of your firearm. I can email Napa PD packet. Purple K sent it to me.

wildhawker
02-04-2012, 10:45 PM
My counsel is to not apply first to Napa PD and hang tight unless you have some prevailing circumstance that would make waiting a bad idea.

-Brandon

sar_man
02-05-2012, 5:56 AM
FYI, the Napa Sheriff announced his retirement. He will retire in April. http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/sheriff-koford-will-retire-in-april/article_3c058248-4de6-11e1-b34c-001871e3ce6c.html

FishNFool
02-05-2012, 7:25 PM
I saw the retirement announcement hopefully the new Sherrif is pro LTC. Mine is up for renewal in march. I'll let every one know how it goes

Random68
04-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Any information on your renewal FishNFool?

Anyone know the state of LTC changes in Napa?

FishNFool
04-04-2012, 7:27 AM
I got mine renewed about two weeks ago. Looks like John Robertson the undersheriff will finish out Kofords term. No word on who is running yet.

Pandanin
04-04-2012, 7:41 AM
Crossing my fingers John Robertson runs for Sheriff. He's a really nice guy and gave me the sense that he would do what's right for the citizens of Napa county. He made me feel very comfortable when I had my interview with him last year.

clb
04-07-2012, 9:16 AM
I was in conversation via e-mail with napa member A. Vanzandt?? about good cause and general ? to be ready for the application/interview.
Crashed my puter and lost contact ,can't seem to find just where the thread is we were on. anyone care to help me get on track in obtaining a ccw in napa county??? pm me please.
Thanx in advance cb

FishNFool
05-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Pm sent

kredlash
09-25-2012, 1:01 AM
Robertson is a great upstanding guy from what I gathered in the interview with him. Hopefully he stays in the Sheriff seat.

Shenaniguns
10-06-2012, 8:04 PM
I need to help a buddy obtain a LTC in American Canyon, a GC and tips are appreciated

clb
10-08-2012, 1:49 PM
Round 2 anyone in napa care to talk to me about the process ect. for napa ccw/ltc.
thanx cb

clb
11-05-2012, 7:59 AM
Anyone have time to talk to me about the process?
Thanx cb

FishNFool
11-30-2012, 2:25 PM
CLB i had tried calling you several times. Send me a note to my email or call my cell if you still have it. The Napa co process is pretty straight forward and simple. I thought i sent you some GC examples, if not i can send again.

I also think Robertson is a good pick he seemed like a down to earth guy and the interview with him was pressure free. I think he would be a good Sherrif.

clb
11-30-2012, 5:14 PM
Thanx ...Will call tomorrow. cb

thanx for the input....cb

clb
12-29-2012, 4:25 PM
Anyone have accepted good cause statement's for napa?
Could you pm me a word doc? Please.
thanx cb

clb
06-16-2013, 7:05 PM
:mad:
WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS
:sleeping:

clb
07-12-2013, 6:00 PM
Kinda dark in here

FishNFool
07-14-2013, 9:25 AM
Hmmm. Maybe you need to check your lightbulb. (JK) I know I talked with you and sent you an e mail with details a long time ago. Sounds like you want someone to write the letter for you? I can send you the info again if you need it. Send note to my home e mail (Not PM) if you need info again. Napa county is really very simple and I have sent the same info to 3 others in the past months. All 3 have already got their LTC. Average time was 5-6 weeks. Maybe a backlog on background checks now with so many people panic buying guns these days. So not sure how long it will take now.

mwhite
08-21-2013, 8:47 AM
Does anyone have any good cause statements or have any advise for the city of napa?

PlinkerMan
09-07-2013, 8:29 AM
Hi all,
Does anyone have any specifics on application process for napa city? I'm ting to learn about the process before applying to have best chance of getting ccw.

PM me or text/call my cell if easier 303-916-six 624

Thanks for any help

Paladin
11-21-2013, 10:01 AM
If anyone wants to organize to get more CCWers in Napa, see:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=818852

Paladin
11-24-2013, 9:28 PM
If anyone wants to organize to get more CCWers in Napa, see:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=818852

Giving this a bump since Napa has issued a decent # of CCWs per post #28 at link above.

We need some folks from Napa (or who regularly drive thru Napa every few weeks), to step help out so that even more people who qualify apply for and get CCWs.

Paladin
01-07-2014, 7:15 PM
Hi all,
Does anyone have any specifics on application process for napa city? I'm ting to learn about the process before applying to have best chance of getting ccw.

PM me or text/call my cell if easier 303-916-six 624

Thanks for any helpSee posts 10 & 11 in this thread.

TACOPS
01-08-2014, 4:30 PM
Expecting to relocate to Napa/Sonoma area. Could reside in either county. Seeking advise on CCW application prospects and preferred location to be able to apply/receive issuance. No barring issues whatsoever.

tia

GlockedAndLoaded
01-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Giving this a bump since Napa has issued a decent # of CCWs per post #28 at link above.

We need some folks from Napa (or who regularly drive thru Napa every few weeks), to step help out so that even more people who qualify apply for and get CCWs.

I've recently acquired a CCW in napa county (roughly three months ago) I applied through the sheriffs office, picked up a app and was given a appointment on spot for the following week. I meet with the sheriff and handed her my app directly, she was very nice and well mannered. After she looked over my application and a brief conversation I was approved. I took my 16 hour training course the following weekend. After my course I scheduled my live scan for a few days later and my permit was in the mail 30 days on the day.

The whole process took far less then what I've heard about in Sacramento county. I never really had to wait for appointments, I just called ahead for the most part.

Both the sheriff and the officers at the front desk were very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Paladin
01-13-2014, 1:17 AM
I've recently acquired a CCW in napa county (roughly three months ago) I applied through the sheriffs office, picked up a app and was given a appointment on spot for the following week. I meet with the sheriff and handed her my app directly, she was very nice and well mannered. After she looked over my application and a brief conversation I was approved. I took my 16 hour training course the following weekend. After my course I scheduled my live scan for a few days later and my permit was in the mail 30 days on the day.

The whole process took far less then what I've heard about in Sacramento county. I never really had to wait for appointments, I just called ahead for the most part.

Both the sheriff and the officers at the front desk were very nice.Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)That's great for you, but, roughly, w/o giving identifying info., what was your Good Cause? For most law-abiding CGNers, that's the CCW killer -- we don't have "drama" in our lives, but we want to be able to "keep & bear arms" to defend ourselves.

GlockedAndLoaded
01-13-2014, 8:43 AM
That's great for you, but, roughly, w/o giving identifying info., what was your Good Cause? For most law-abiding CGNers, that's the CCW killer -- we don't have "drama" in our lives, but we want to be able to "keep & bear arms" to defend ourselves.

Sorry, I should have added that. I'm a contractor. I actually didn't fill it in and the sheriff asked I leave it open so in not sure how it was worded.

I essentially was concerned with carrying valuable tools and material around in the back of my truck. I also had a large amount of tools stolen from my property a few weeks prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Paladin
01-13-2014, 8:44 AM

<snip>

Both the sheriff and the officers at the front desk were very nice.Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)Um, don't know who you met, gave your app to, and conversed with, but the sheriff is a guy....

http://www.countyofnapa.org/Sheriff/Administration/

Sheriff John R. Robertson
http://www.countyofnapa.org/uploadedImages/Global_Image_Library/Categories/Sheriff/Staff/RobertsonJohn.jpg

Paladin
01-13-2014, 8:52 AM
Sorry, I should have added that. I'm a contractor. I actually didn't fill it in and the sheriff asked I leave it open so in not sure how it was worded.

I essentially was concerned with carrying valuable tools and material around in the back of my truck. I also had a large amount of tools stolen from my property a few weeks prior.
Well, good. It sounds like they're loosening up issuance. When they get comfortable w/this and see that CCWers aren't shooting each other over fender benders and parking spaces and that the streets aren't running red with blood, hopefully he'll loosen the GC requirement even further, maybe to accepting mere self-defense.

GlockedAndLoaded
01-13-2014, 9:32 AM
Um, don't know who you met, gave your app to, and conversed with, but the sheriff is a guy....

http://www.countyofnapa.org/Sheriff/Administration/

Sheriff John R. Robertson
http://www.countyofnapa.org/uploadedImages/Global_Image_Library/Categories/Sheriff/Staff/RobertsonJohn.jpg

Maybe she was the under sheriff? Very nice lady, I'll try to find her card.

GlockedAndLoaded
01-13-2014, 9:35 AM
A Captain Tracy Stuart is who I meet with.

Rscan925
03-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Going to apply for my CCW next month. If anyone could PM me some GC that has been accepted it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TACOPS
09-22-2014, 4:58 PM
Moving to Napa 94558 in October. Please share your experience in applying and the process for Napa. I will technically be living within the Napa city limits but have been told it is better to apply at the Napa County Sheriff's Office. PM me with details.

tia

GlockOut
01-26-2015, 8:44 PM
Any updates on Napa County CCW? I'm looking to apply in Feb. this year. Thanks!

Paladin
04-04-2015, 7:08 AM
Going to apply for my CCW next month. If anyone could PM me some GC that has been accepted it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

How'd things go?

Paladin
04-04-2015, 7:11 AM
Moving to Napa 94558 in October. Please share your experience in applying and the process for Napa. I will technically be living within the Napa city limits but have been told it is better to apply at the Napa County Sheriff's Office. PM me with details.

tia
Did you move? Did you apply? If so, w/SO or PD? How'd it go?

Paladin
04-04-2015, 7:13 AM
Any updates on Napa County CCW? I'm looking to apply in Feb. this year. Thanks!
Did you apply? If so, how'd it go?

Rscan925
04-07-2015, 6:37 PM
Just as an update, the last time I talked to Napa PD, they said good cause is still in affect until the puruta case is finalized. I discontinued my pursue a ccw Through Napa due to becoming an LEO. Good luck everybody and if you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

mwhite
04-10-2015, 8:46 PM
Did you become a LEO in napa?

Rscan925
04-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Negative

Otter91
05-01-2015, 1:25 PM
Would anyone be willing to PM me with examples of good cause for the city of Napa? It would be greatly appreciated.

clb
06-12-2015, 7:20 PM
^^^^
Looks like june 16 could be a day we celebrate,
I am going to look into it again after that.
As I have found little gc info so far.

Paladin
06-12-2015, 8:54 PM
^^^^
Looks like june 16 could be a day we celebrate,
I am going to look into it again after that.
As I have found little gc info so far.
What's happening on the 16th?

If you're referring to Peruta, that's when orals are taking place. Who knows when the decision will be released (and the odds are we will lose). :oji:

Paladin
06-21-2015, 3:04 PM
I applied through the sheriffs office, picked up a app and was given a appointment on spot for the following week. I meet with the sheriff and handed her my app directly, she was very nice and well mannered. After she looked over my application and a brief conversation I was approved. I took my 16 hour training course the following weekend. After my course I scheduled my live scan for a few days later and my permit was in the mail 30 days on the day.

Roughly how long from asking for the initial appointment (the day you picked up the app), to the day you were approved and then to the day you had your permit in hand?

Pandanin
06-22-2015, 8:17 AM
Picked up app.
Took it home, filled it out.
Took training class
Did LiveScan at Novato Police Department (near my office at that time)
Scheduled appointment with Napa
Had appointment. Was walked down hallway to admin office afterwards and fingerprinted.
Permit arrived a week later.

Paladin
06-22-2015, 6:55 PM
Picked up app.
Took it home, filled it out.
Took training class
Did LiveScan at Novato Police Department (near my office at that time)
Scheduled appointment with Napa
Had appointment. Was walked down hallway to admin office afterwards and fingerprinted.
Permit arrived a week later.
Congrats!

:party:

Be sure to encourage family, friends, and anyone else you think might be interested (e.g., shooting buddies, coworkers, neighbors, friends from church, etc) to go get theirs too! Be sure to EveryDay Carry (EDC), esp when visiting the more populous parts of the Bay Area.

Did you apply thru Napa PD or the Napa Sheriff's Office?

Roughly, w/o giving details that might ID you, what was your Good Cause statement like?

I assume you took training after you dropped off your app and were approved. If so, about how long did the process take from dropping off the app to having permit in hand?

Pandanin
06-23-2015, 8:01 AM
I've had mine for 4 years. Issued through Napa Sheriff's office.

I actually took the class before the interview. Whether I was approved or not having the training never hurts.

Total time from interview to in-hand was 1 week. Total time from picking up app to having it in hand was 4 weeks.

Paladin
06-24-2015, 8:39 AM
I've had mine for 4 years. Issued through Napa Sheriff's office.

I actually took the class before the interview. Whether I was approved or not having the training never hurts.

Total time from interview to in-hand was 1 week. Total time from picking up app to having it in hand was 4 weeks.

You missed one question. ;)

Roughly, w/o giving details that might ID you, what was your Good Cause statement like?

Pandanin
06-24-2015, 10:18 AM
I can't say publicly, it'd ID me instantly.

shinzen
07-01-2015, 6:02 AM
Just moved to Napa from Sacramento and popped into the city PD to pick up an application yesterday without thinking about it or looking at this thread- they have definitely not changed their stance at all. Good cause requires absurd documentation, and three letters of reference.

From reading through the thread, it sounds like its still better to go through the sheriff as they are more realistic?

Paladin
07-02-2015, 9:21 AM
Just moved to Napa from Sacramento and popped into the city PD to pick up an application yesterday without thinking about it or looking at this thread- they have definitely not changed their stance at all. Good cause requires absurd documentation, and three letters of reference. Fixed it for ya.... :(

Like it or not, no one who wants a CCW should even think about where they'll move to without checking these Concealed Carry County Info forum threads. :oji: Welcome to the PRK....

From reading through the thread, it sounds like its still better to go through the sheriff as they are more realistic?Keep us updated.

shinzen
07-02-2015, 9:28 AM
Yeah, didn't even think about it- I figured that me already having on here in CA would help out with the process wherever we moved to, but not so much. Going to try to drop in to the sheriff's office today to get the lay of the land.

Paladin
08-05-2015, 9:27 PM
Yeah, didn't even think about it- I figured that me already having on here in CA would help out with the process wherever we moved to, but not so much. Going to try to drop in to the sheriff's office today to get the lay of the land.
It's been a month, what did you learn?

shinzen
08-14-2015, 7:18 AM
Well it's been awhile. What I found is that the sheriff and the city have the exact same policy outlining what they deem to be good cause, and personal protection alone is not sufficient.

The meat of the two page reasons that they would not deny people for is you have to have had a specific ongoing specific threats against your person, have a line of work where such threats might occur, or "possibly" carry large sums of money for your job.

I was hoping we'd see the Peruta issue resolved in our favor first, but appears that I will not be getting one here in Napa county until that case is resolved (hopefully) in our favor.

Otter91
08-14-2015, 7:59 AM
Well it's been awhile. What I found is that the sheriff and the city have the exact same policy outlining what they deem to be good cause, and personal protection alone is not sufficient.

The meat of the two page reasons that they would not deny people for is you have to have had a specific ongoing specific threats against your person, have a line of work where such threats might occur, or "possibly" carry large sums of money for your job.

I was hoping we'd see the Peruta issue resolved in our favor first, but appears that I will not be getting one here in Napa county until that case is resolved (hopefully) in our favor.

Thanks for sharing! Which office did you apply with? Did they deny you in person in your first meeting, or did you go through the fingerprinting etc.?

shinzen
08-14-2015, 8:53 AM
I just went down to turn in the paperwork, and she let me know that I'd need to setup an appointment with the Under Sheriff to apply. She then handed me the "Napa Addendum" as I'm calling it that addresses good cause. Just like the city, it's two pages of notes that specifically calls out what I had written as being insufficient good cause. Guess I had been spoiled by living in Sacramento for that. I'm viewing it that unless I'm willing to start a new lawsuit, which I'm not, it seems best to wait for the Peruta ruling. The whole thing fails the equal protection clause thoroughly IMO, but alas, I'm not in charge.

Paladin
08-14-2015, 11:55 AM
I just went down to turn in the paperwork, and she let me know that I'd need to setup an appointment with the Under Sheriff to apply. She then handed me the "Napa Addendum" as I'm calling it that addresses good cause. Just like the city, it's two pages of notes that specifically calls out what I had written as being insufficient good cause.
That's weird that they're restrictive, given that -- when compensating for the difference in pop. (Solano has 3x Napa pop, so multiply Napa CCWs by 3) -- Napa Co has issued CCWs at 2x the rate of Solano Co, and pretty much everybody agrees Solano reasonably issues CCWs.

CCW and pop. stats from:
https://www.revealnews.org/article/want-to-carry-a-concealed-gun-live-in-sacramento-not-san-francisco/

Can you post pics of the "Napa Addendum"?

Since you now live in Napa Co, you need to review my, IIRC, 3 posts in the "707 Banter" thread to liberalize issuance in Napa Co. (1st of the posts (~5 posts total) at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=16593010&posted=1#post16593010)

In case you haven't kept up w/Peruta, the bottom line is not to waste 2 years waiting for it since we may not win it.... Best to assume we won't and push forward w/local political action, like the San Joaquin, Merced, and Riverside folks have done and now all 3 of those are readily issuing CCWs. Sheriffs elections are only once every 4 years (next in 2018).

shinzen
08-15-2015, 7:02 AM
Here is the Napa two page precursor to the CCW packet. Didn't realize the statistics were showing the higher percentage of issuance. Interesting. Since they specifically call out "the public good and safety" I may go ahead and apply, since I'm a firearms instructor and have my COE. They may look at that. They may not.

Paladin
08-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Here is the Napa two page precursor to the CCW packet. Didn't realize the statistics were showing the higher percentage of issuance. Interesting. Since they specifically call out "the public good and safety" I may go ahead and apply, since I'm a firearms instructor and have my COE. They may look at that. They may not.
Thx Shinzen. Had to squint to read the tiny print (should have gotten out a magnifying glass), but managed.

That last sentence of the 2nd document makes it seem like Loaded Open Carry is legal in CA. :facepalm:

I wonder if the sheriff has recently restricted his policy (with Peruta going en banc?), and will start denying renewals? (Similar to OC backing away from accepting mere "self-defense" as sufficient GC after Peruta went en banc.)

Of course, Public Records Act requests can be used to ensure that he is in fact treating all applicants with equivalent GCs equally. If not, he's vulnerable to a 14th Amendment "equal protection" Guillory lawsuit.

For now, I'm removing the "thumbs up" symbol from this thread since Napa seems to now have a restrictive issuance policy despite the rate of issued CCWs.

:(

shinzen
08-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Oh jeez. I didn't realize it reduced the size that much. And it won't let me post the PDF. Dang. If anybody wants a PDF copy, I can email it over, just pm me

Otter91
08-16-2015, 6:18 PM
Thx Shinzen. Had to squint to read the tiny print (should have gotten out a magnifying glass), but managed.

That last sentence of the 2nd document makes it seem like Loaded Open Carry is legal in CA. :facepalm:

I wonder if the sheriff has recently restricted his policy (with Peruta going en banc?), and will start denying renewals? (Similar to OC backing away from accepting mere "self-defense" as sufficient GC after Peruta went en banc.)

Of course, Public Records Act requests can be used to ensure that he is in fact treating all applicants with equivalent GCs equally. If not, he's vulnerable to a 14th Amendment "equal protection" Guillory lawsuit.

For now, I'm removing the "thumbs up" symbol from this thread since Napa seems to now have a restrictive issuance policy despite the rate of issued CCWs.

:(

I don't believe that this has been a recent addition to their requirements. I applied recently with Napa PD, and my packet had the same two pages. During my interview, it was apparent that my packet was missing a few pages of info to which the Sgt. I was speaking with stated "Oh, you must have gotten one of the old packets". Of course this is only anecdotal. I wonder if the second page is written like it is because it was used by the dept. prior to Jan 2014?

Shinzen, do I understand correctly that you decided not to apply due to feeling that you lacked good cause?

Paladin
08-16-2015, 7:19 PM
I don't believe that this has been a recent addition to their requirements. I applied recently with Napa PD, and my packet had the same two pages. During my interview, it was apparent that my packet was missing a few pages of info to which the Sgt. I was speaking with stated "Oh, you must have gotten one of the old packets". Of course this is only anecdotal. I wonder if the second page is written like it is because it was used by the dept. prior to Jan 2014?Well, that makes it awfully tough to explain why Napa Co has been issuing CCWs at 2x the rate of Solano Co. If they've been this restrictive re. GC for the past, oh, 3 or 4 years, I'd expect them to issue not at 2x the rate of Solano Co, not at the same rate as Solano Co, but more like at 1/4th to 1/2 the rate of Solano Co.

Hopefully that news source will do an annual statewide survey of issuance rates for the different counties. That way, if Napa Co CCWs tank in a year or two, we'll know that there was a change recently.

Like I posted above, you guys, if you care about CCWs, better stop counting on the courts (federal or state), to bail your behinds out and organize. Otherwise you may well end up like OC after Carona left and Hutchens pulled all those CCWs. :oji:

I'd LOVE to see Sonoma and Napa join Solano in readily issuing CCWs. That would be 3 out of the 9 SFBA counties!

Marin is a lost cause, politically at this time, IMO.

shinzen
08-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Shinzen, do I understand correctly that you decided not to apply due to feeling that you lacked good cause?

I'm still debating. On initial take with the way the paperwork is written, I felt I may not have sufficient cause. However, without sharing too much identifiable information, on further reflection I may indeed have sufficient cause to meet the two pagers requirements, depending on how they interpret things. Left a message to setup the initial interview, so we'll see.

Otter91
08-17-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm still debating. On initial take with the way the paperwork is written, I felt I may not have sufficient cause. However, without sharing too much identifiable information, on further reflection I may indeed have sufficient cause to meet the two pagers requirements, depending on how they interpret things. Left a message to setup the initial interview, so we'll see.

Sounds good, best of luck!

shinzen
08-24-2015, 10:42 AM
A bit of additional information. Just got off the phone with the Under Sheriff who runs the CCW program for the county. He told me that because I live in the city, I have to go through the Napa PD, they only do CCW for those living in the unincorporated areas.

Paladin
08-24-2015, 8:11 PM
A bit of additional information. Just got off the phone with the Under Sheriff who runs the CCW program for the county. He told me that because I live in the city, I have to go through the Napa PD, they only do CCW for those living in the unincorporated areas.
This is illegal. State law says the sheriff has to accept CCW applications and, IIRC, so does the Salute v. Pitchess decision (court can mandate that they exercise their discretion, but not how they exercise it).

But, hey, you don't actually expect "the chief law-enforcement officer of the county" to actually obey the law, now do you? :smilielol5:

shinzen
08-25-2015, 9:52 AM
Just an interesting point of note, got off the phone with the Sac Sheriff dept where I had my prior license, he mentioned Peruta and the hopes that there would be constancy. Even said he thought the 9th would rule in our favor LOL. Not holding my breath. I may head down to chat with the under sheriff on general principle.

Otter91
09-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Just received my CCW through Napa PD.

Interviewed and was LiveScanned two months ago. Was instructed by the IA to take my class. After a 2 month wait for DOJ, I had my second appointment where I was issued my license.

Paladin
09-03-2015, 8:38 PM
Just received my CCW through Napa PD.

Interviewed and was LiveScanned two months ago. Was instructed by the IA to take my class. After a 2 month wait for DOJ, I had my second appointment where I was issued my license.
Congrats!

Would you feel comfortable giving us an idea of what your Good Cause was (but not so detailed so as to ID you)? It would help lurkers/visitors by giving them an idea of whether the should even try applying. While we don't want gunnies to waste their time, money and effort in futile gestures, we also do not want folks who could get a Napa PD CCW to not even try because they assume they'll be denied for lack of/insufficient GC.

Otter91
09-03-2015, 8:47 PM
Congrats!

Would you feel comfortable giving us an idea of what your Good Cause was (but not so detailed so as to ID you)? It would help lurkers/visitors by giving them an idea of whether the should even try applying.

Thank you Paladin, that looks like quite the party! I am self employed and happen to carry valuable things for work as well as working in remote areas where illegal activity is present.

clb
11-04-2015, 8:57 PM
Congrats
Otter91

Otter91
11-05-2015, 4:38 AM
Congrats
Otter91

Thanks clb!