PDA

View Full Version : Kern

obeygiant
10-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Kern County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/103-kern)

UPDATE (2015 March 03): changed thread icon to "thumbs up" per info in: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=15910690#post15910690

El Gato
10-18-2010, 6:48 PM
gentleman and ladies....

I have a number of customers who have struggled through the good cause statement and have been successful.... some have been denied and then succeeded in getting the statement approved upon appeal. I have been working with folks in this regard for a number of years. If I can assist in known good cause statements... with personal details redacted... please pm me...or email me at my website...

kernccw.com

obeygiant
10-18-2010, 6:58 PM
gentleman and ladies....

I have a number of customers who have struggled through the good cause statement and have been successful.... some have been denied and then succeeded in getting the statement approved upon appeal. I have been working with folks in this regard for a number of years. If I can assist in known good cause statements... with personal details redacted... please pm me...or email me at my website...

kernccw.com

El Gato, PM sent.

El Gato
10-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Had a highly secretive type need to know conversation with an un-named source in the Kern County Sheriff's Dept. this am... and no it wasn't the janitor although if it had been I might have gotten some really high level intel...anyway the person "in the know"....who isn't the janitor but still highly placed and not the secretary..

policy change has been made.....

active outdoorsman/shooter/fisher/hunter activities are now considered applicable for good cause.

thepunisher
10-21-2010, 6:51 AM
Interesting, Thanks for the info. I know when I apply I'll be going to your classes El Gato

Decoligny
03-11-2011, 8:32 AM
Just submitted my application this morning.

Website says they will inform me of approval/denial of Good Cause within 16 weeks.

Four months to read a couple paragraphs and only then do they take my fingerprints and start the background check.

The one good thing about Kern County is they don't require a single penny in payment until the Good Cause is approved. If they deny it, then you are out $0.00

E Pluribus Unum
03-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Just submitted my application this morning.

Website says they will inform me of approval/denial of Good Cause within 16 weeks.

Four months to read a couple paragraphs and only then do they take my fingerprints and start the background check.

The one good thing about Kern County is they don't require a single penny in payment until the Good Cause is approved. If they deny it, then you are out $0.00

So you just filled out the ap.... showed up, submitted it, and gave them no money?

Decoligny
03-11-2011, 1:21 PM
So you just filled out the ap.... showed up, submitted it, and gave them no money?

That is correct. I called the Kern County CCW number and talked with the lady in charge to find our exactly how much it would cost me. She told me $161.00. I asked her how much up front. She said that I don't pay anything until I get approval on my good cause. Then I go in and pay for the fingerprinting, and the county and DOJ processing fees. She told me that if my good cause was denied, then I don't pay anything.

Dropped off the application at the Rosamond Sheriff Sub-Station this morning, the lady there reviewed it, I made one minor correction, signed all three places and she signed as witness. She said she will be forwarding it to Bakersfield this afternoon.

wildhawker
03-12-2011, 12:38 PM
That is correct. I called the Kern County CCW number and talked with the lady in charge to find our exactly how much it would cost me. She told me $166.00. I asked her how much up front. She said that I don't pay anything until I get approval on my good cause. Then I go in and pay for the fingerprinting, and the county and DOJ processing fees. She told me that if my good cause was denied, then I don't pay anything.

Dropped off the application at the Rosamond Sheriff Sub-Station this morning, the lady there reviewed it, I made one minor correction, signed all three places and she signed as witness. She said she will be forwarding it to Bakersfield this afternoon.

Their procedure is definitely wrong. We have a few people lined up who want to fix it. If we can get another 3-5 people, this will become viable.

-Brandon

McTerry
03-12-2011, 1:33 PM
I'm interested.

WatsonGravy
03-20-2011, 9:36 AM
Also interested! I found the app online. Should I use that one or go down to the sheriffs office and pick an app up? and what's the success rate like here in Kern?

greasemonkey
03-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Make sure you sign up on the CGF Volunteer page (calgunsfoundation.org/index.php?option=com_civicrm&task=civicrm/event/register&reset=1&id=1&cid=0) and they'll get you instructions through that on what/how/when to proceed.

Also interested! I found the app online. Should I use that one or go down to the sheriffs office and pick an app up? and what's the success rate like here in Kern?

wildhawker
03-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Expect movement and further instruction soon.

Kid Stanislaus
03-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Expect movement and further instruction soon.

:twoweeks:

Sorry, I just don't know what came over me!!:rolleyes:

Decoligny
03-22-2011, 8:11 AM
I am not as well versed in the CCW process as I should be, and would like to know what the issue of concern is with Kern County.

Is it the "16 weeks" I mentioned? As I understand it they have 90 days to inform me of approval or denial, or 30 days after the background investigation is sent to DOJ, whichever is later.

If they take 90 days to decide on the good cause, and then send in the DOJ background check, and inform me exactly 30 days after that, haven't they complied with their timeline requirement per PC 12052.5?

If my understanding is lacking, please educate me. If putting the reasons on the thread is not recommended, please PM me some details.

I may have misunderstood the 16 week reference, and if I did, then I assume they will call me in for fingerprinting before they send off the background check.

WatsonGravy
03-29-2011, 8:01 PM
I'm going to be dropping off my CCW application next week !!! How has everyone else's experiences been with the Kern CCW process?

PCPerks
04-06-2011, 8:31 AM
I'm going to be applying in Kern County after my retirement from the military in about a year so I'm going to be watching this closely. Those that are going through this process please keep us informed of the progress you're making.

Decoligny
04-21-2011, 8:05 AM
Got a voicemail message on my cell phone to call a Sgt about my CCW App. Got it while riding my motorcycle home from work yesterday.

Called back, got his voicemail, left him a message. Waiting impatiently for his return call.

It has been 41 days since my application was submitted.

Whitesmoke
04-21-2011, 8:40 PM
Their procedure is definitely wrong. We have a few people lined up who want to fix it. If we can get another 3-5 people, this will become viable.

-Brandon

Whats wrong with their policy? When I got mine in Kern County...it took no where near 16 weeks. Start to finish maybe 8-10 weeks.

wildhawker
04-21-2011, 9:13 PM
Whats wrong with their policy? When I got mine in Kern County...it took no where near 16 weeks. Start to finish maybe 8-10 weeks.

Timeline is not the only factor to consider, though I don't consider 8-10 weeks timely [for a licensed fundamental right], either.

Decoligny
04-25-2011, 6:58 AM
Got a voicemail message on my cell phone to call a Sgt about my CCW App. Got it while riding my motorcycle home from work yesterday.

Called back, got his voicemail, left him a message. Waiting impatiently for his return call.

It has been 41 days since my application was submitted.

Got ahold of the Sgt finally.

He had a question concerning my good cause.

I handle funds for an neighborhood association. He said that if I can get a letter from the president of this org stating that I am good to go for CCW on org business, then he will not have to put a limitation on my CCW.

This apparently means that my good cause, even without the money portion was sufficient for Kern County.

I will get the letter this week. Hopefully that means the DOJ background portion will start soon.

BigFred
04-25-2011, 9:23 PM
Anyone know if the SO allows you to use a legally owned off list pistol for carry?

Whitesmoke
04-25-2011, 9:38 PM
What is SO? Kern doesn't care if it's offlist or not....

E Pluribus Unum
04-25-2011, 9:39 PM

Sheriff Office.

Roster should not matter for CCW; lawfully owned means you can put it on your permit...

Decoligny
05-02-2011, 7:58 AM
Got ahold of the Sgt finally.

He had a question concerning my good cause.

I handle funds for an neighborhood association. He said that if I can get a letter from the president of this org stating that I am good to go for CCW on org business, then he will not have to put a limitation on my CCW.

This apparently means that my good cause, even without the money portion was sufficient for Kern County.

I will get the letter this week. Hopefully that means the DOJ background portion will start soon.

Turns out the president noted above is an anti. He has a problem with my even owning a gun. Shouldn't be a real issue as I can live with the restriction. It simply means that once every two months I can't carry for 10 minutes while I drop off the deposits (90% checks).

Decoligny
05-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Just got my notification that my good cause has been approved.

Now I need to get my 8 hr training (Saturday), bring a check for $161.00, my original birth certificate, and my DD-214 to Bakersfield within the next 90 days.

Total wait time from submission of application until notification of approval = 59 days.

El Gato
05-10-2011, 12:52 PM

NOPE... not at all... could care less...sweet!...:D

Whitesmoke
05-10-2011, 6:48 PM
Just got my notification that my good cause has been approved.

Now I need to get my 8 hr training (Saturday), bring a check for $161.00, my original birth certificate, and my DD-214 to Bakersfield within the next 90 days.

Total wait time from submission of application until notification of approval = 59 days.

Just curious why they asked for your DD-214...?? I never showed mine when I got my CCW.

Fjold
05-10-2011, 6:53 PM
If you put service experience in your application then they want to see that you got an honorable discharge.

WatsonGravy
05-10-2011, 8:54 PM
That's good news Decoligny!! 59 days isn't to bad. I went to drop mine off few weeks ago and I didn't have the correct portion of my PG&E bill. I trashed that 2nd page. Blahh. So now For the first time ever I can't wait to get my next months PG&E bill!! If you don't mind me asking who are you using for the 8hr training?

Decoligny
05-11-2011, 7:00 AM
Just curious why they asked for your DD-214...?? I never showed mine when I got my CCW.

The letter states that former military need to provide it. I think it may be due to it being an exemption to the HSC requirement.

Decoligny
05-11-2011, 7:04 AM
That's good news Decoligny!! 59 days isn't to bad. I went to drop mine off few weeks ago and I didn't have the correct portion of my PG&E bill. I trashed that 2nd page. Blahh. So now For the first time ever I can't wait to get my next months PG&E bill!! If you don't mind me asking who are you using for the 8hr training?

I am getting the class from Jess Farmer in Rosamond. He is a friend of a friend, an FFL, on the Kern County Sheriff's approved list, and he is local to me. I called him yesterday and arranged for him to give me the class on Saturday. $100.00 for the 8 hr initial course, $50.00 for the refresher.

59 days was for the notification that my good cause was approved. Once I have completed the class, turned in my documentation, gotten fingerprinted, the letter says it will be another 12 to 16 weeks before the background check is completed.

"IF" they took the entire 16 weeks that they said it would take to approve my good cause, and they took the entire 16 weeks for the background check, that would be a grand total of 8 months for this stupid process. Totally unacceptable when other states are able to complete the process in a matter of days.

Decoligny
05-14-2011, 7:00 PM
Just to compare the processes, I mailed in my Arizona CCW application on Friday May 6th. I get my CCW in the mail this morning. The earliest the could have gotten it was on Monday May 9th. It was approved and in the mail on Thursday May 12th.

Four days versus a possible eight months.

WatsonGravy
05-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Just droped my application today. 05/24/11 She told me I would hear within 3 months if they approve or deny.

I will keep you all updated.

WatsonGravy
05-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Oh she also asked me if I live in city limits. And wrote down city on my app. Why would that matter?

skyscraper
05-29-2011, 4:58 PM
Turned mine in 5/25. Ill keep you all updated too. The girls in the office were very helpful, as was craig at kernccw. He answered a lot of my questions via email. Just wanted to say thanks again.

Nodda Duma
05-29-2011, 5:04 PM
Timeline is not the only factor to consider, though I don't consider 8-10 weeks timely [for a licensed fundamental right], either.

That's right.

As a baseline, consider that my New Hampshire Concealed carry permit took less than 14 days and a total of $10.

Decoligny
06-21-2011, 4:55 PM
A grand total of 101 days.

Just got a voice mail message that my CCW is ready to pick up at the Rosamond substation. Unfortunately they close at 4:00 pm and I didn't get the message in time to get it today. Tomorrow morning at 7:00 am I will have it in hand.

beech bum
06-23-2011, 2:56 PM
Hello everyone.
I am wanting to apply for a CCW, but have a set of circumstances that may be a bit different than most. I am a retired LEO that falls outside of LEOSA. Nothing bad, just the nature of my retirement falls outside established parameters. When reading through the SO's app online I saw a statement that might cause me to be disqualified. I have PMed a few folks on here in the past about a good cause statement, but have delayed applying to avoid a denial. I was wondering if anyone who is well versed would be willing to take a phone call? Thanks.

PCPerks
06-23-2011, 3:35 PM
I'm not as up to speed on different circumstances, but Kern county is one of the better counties when it comes to getting a CCW.

wildhawker
06-23-2011, 3:58 PM
Hello everyone.
I am wanting to apply for a CCW, but have a set of circumstances that may be a bit different than most. I am a retired LEO that falls outside of LEOSA. Nothing bad, just the nature of my retirement falls outside established parameters. When reading through the SO's app online I saw a statement that might cause me to be disqualified. I have PMed a few folks on here in the past about a good cause statement, but have delayed applying to avoid a denial. I was wondering if anyone who is well versed would be willing to take a phone call? Thanks.

Email me at bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org.

WatsonGravy
06-27-2011, 5:38 PM
Received a letter today saying my Application has been accepted. Now I need to take the class and background check.

May 24 drop off App.
June 27 App accepted.

wildhawker
06-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Received a letter today saying my Application has been accepted. Now I need to take the class and background check.

May 24 drop off App.
June 27 App accepted.

Thanks for the good intel!

-Brandon

beech bum
07-07-2011, 1:03 PM
I received good feed back from El Gato. Will probably drop of my application early next week when next out by the SO. El Gato I'll let you know how it turns out.

beech bum
08-15-2011, 6:23 PM
I submitted July 12th and just got a call today. Sgt said my justification looked good and said I should get my letter in about a week. The only hiccup was involvement in prior shootings and he cleared that up with three questions. Will see how it goes from here.

WatsonGravy
08-19-2011, 2:54 PM
Just picked up my LTC. Got the call a couple hours ago to pick it up. Overall experience was good. A little long but considering other counties in CA, it wasn't to bad.

May 24 - dropped off app.
June 27- app accepted.
July 19- dropped off training cert. And checks. Live scan.
Aug 19- Picked up Permit.

May have been a shorter process but my schedule didn't allow for me to take the class for a few weeks.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.

PCPerks
08-20-2011, 2:32 PM
Those that have gotten theirs approved, what was the good cause statement if you don't mind? PM is okay as well.

beech bum
08-20-2011, 2:58 PM
I suggest reading kernccw.com's how to page for good cause. Write up what you have and e-mail it to el-gato and he will critique it for you. Thats what I did and it came out "pretty good" according to the licensing Sgt. It's good to read a few, but it really has to be your own. I just don't think mine would apply for anyone but me.

Gray Peterson
08-20-2011, 3:29 PM
I suggest reading kernccw.com's how to page for good cause. Write up what you have and e-mail it to el-gato and he will critique it for you. Thats what I did and it came out "pretty good" according to the licensing Sgt. It's good to read a few, but it really has to be your own. I just don't think mine would apply for anyone but me.

You know, I found this:

Well, it means it is very unlikely the Sheriff will issue you a permit based upon your 2nd amendment rights. Get over it. He will only issue it based upon his belief that you have “good cause”. We live in California and we have to deal with what is the law, not what we wish was the law. While there are some recent case law decisions which assist us in this matter and another case was recently filed that will hopefully clarify this matter, we are dealing with what is law and procedure on this day and in this time. Fortunately Sheriff Youngblood, and his predecessor’s, have a generous interpretation of what constitutes “good cause”. So let’s start by giving Sheriff Youngblood a break here, and let’s give him a good, “good cause” statement so that he can issue you a concealed weapons permit. I can’t write this for you, only you can articulate your good cause. So, do yourself a favor and put forward your best possible good cause statement, even if it appears that the Sheriff might accept something less.

I find it funny that this person is under the mistake impression that sheriff must use something more than "self defense". I guess Sacramento County and Monterey is breaking the law, then.... :rolleyes:

And no, don't cut Sheriff Youngblood a break.

beech bum
08-20-2011, 6:35 PM
Keep reading. Just a little further down he talks about what the Sheriff considers good cause. Self defense is mentioned first. I think this guy is plugged in pretty good to the scene out at the sheriffs office. He also says he will help you gratis. As far as giving the sheriff a break, I think he is all for shall issue, he is just working in the system as best he can. I guarantee my good cause won't be a fit for you. I read some of the good cause statements listed over on the web site mentioned by wildhawker further up this thread and got a sense of how some people couched their statements. The content has to be your own. Good luck.

Sorry, thought I was replying to the poster who I referred to kernccw.

PCPerks
08-22-2011, 6:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I've read through the kernccw stuff already, but was curious to outcomes of people putting down hunting and camping in remote areas of the county and frequently traveling in areas where there is an extended response time for law enforcement becacuse it's in the middle of nowhere.

wildhawker
08-22-2011, 6:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I've read through the kernccw stuff already, but was curious to outcomes of people putting down hunting and camping in remote areas of the county and frequently traveling in areas where there is an extended response time for law enforcement becacuse it's in the middle of nowhere.

Anecdotal evidence suggests those GC's have been successful. I will have gard data within about a month.

-Brandon

El Gato
09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Wilderness activities are very often used
It's in the policy
Feel free to pm

We work with alot of folks on this
No obligation etc

leadstorm
09-23-2011, 6:36 AM
Submitted my application 17 Aug, received my approval letter 15 Sep.

The first available class around here is on 12 Nov, so I gotta wait for that... :facepalm:

GC statement was centered around backcountry activity and driving on remote highways in eastern CA.

Kid Stanislaus
09-23-2011, 8:40 AM
Hey, if the sheriff sez "personal protection" is GC then why don't we all go with that? After all, THAT is what we're all wanting is it not?

leadstorm
09-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Because the Sheriff is not beholden to it. It's ambiguous. That's the problem with may issue.

I went with what has worked for friends of mine.

beech bum
10-05-2011, 12:18 PM
I finished up Powers Firearm Traning class last night and dropped off paper work today at the SO office on Norris Rd. The quote from the clerk was," when we get your background back in three weeks you can come pick up your permit." It would seem the three week delay might not be the SO's issue? At any rate I hurried up, so now I can wait again.
I would like to give feed back on the training class. The class was well presented and covered need to to know issues quite well. Mr. Powers had some good pointers to help improve marksmanship, and wasn't overbearing when he put forth his suggestions. The class was well worth the fee.

mr.hustle
10-17-2011, 3:26 PM
Hello everyone,

I just dropped off my CCW APPLICATION today 10/17/11 at the Norris Rd office.
The lady at the front desk said it should take a couple of months (16 weeks on application), but the friendly gentlemen at 2nd amendment sports told me it is much less then that..

Does anyone have a clue what was the earliest response you ever heard of here in KERN COUNTY? I am in no rush because I just sent my slide to Robar for some work and it will take 4-6 weeks before I get it back. anyways, im just curious.

Decoligny
10-18-2011, 2:48 PM
Hello everyone,

I just dropped off my CCW APPLICATION today 10/17/11 at the Norris Rd office.
The lady at the front desk said it should take a couple of months (16 weeks on application), but the friendly gentlemen at 2nd amendment sports told me it is much less then that..

Does anyone have a clue what was the earliest response you ever heard of here in KERN COUNTY? I am in no rush because I just sent my slide to Robar for some work and it will take 4-6 weeks before I get it back. anyways, im just curious.

11 Mar - Dropped off application at Rosamond Substation

21 Apr - Got voicemail from Sgt wanting info

25 Apr - Finally contacted Sgt. He wanted letter from Neighborhood Association president stating he was OK with my carrying while performing Treasurer duties so he wouldn't have to put a restriction on LTC.

5 May - Informed Sgt that president was an anti and thought that I shouldn't even own a gun.

10 May - Notice received in mail that Good Cause accepted.

14 May - Took Class, got certificate

16 May - Dropped off certificate and check in Bakersfield, got LiveScan done.

21 Jun - Got call from Rosamond SubStation to come pick up my LTC. Picked up UNRESTRICTED LTC.

Total time elapsed = 110 days. Would have been 19 days quicker if Neighborhood Association info were left off good cause statement.

Good Cause (nutshell version): Bad knee, can't run away. Bad neck, can't fight either. Choices: Carry a gun, or be a defenseless victim.

beech bum
10-18-2011, 3:27 PM
Got the call today to pick up LTC. Started July 12 I think it was but had probably three or four weeks delay for a class.

mr.hustle
10-18-2011, 4:19 PM
great, so around 4-5 weeks?
But when should I be expecting a call from the sgt? or does he only call if he has questions about my app/reason to carry?

Decoligny
10-19-2011, 7:18 AM
great, so around 4-5 weeks?
But when should I be expecting a call from the sgt? or does he only call if he has questions about my app/reason to carry?

I am pretty sure that the Sgt only calls to clarify anything they have questions about, or to get more information in order to determine if a restriction should be applied to the LTC.

The only reason the Sgt called me was to ask me to provide a letter to support one aspect of my Good Cause statement.

My GC was made up of two aspects.

1. I am the treasurer of _______________ Association. I collect the payments from the members and deposit them in the bank.

2. I am disabled. I have a bad knee and ankle so I can't run from an attacker. I have herniated disks in my neck so I can't fight an attacker without risking paralysis/death.

The Sgt wanted to know whether their was a board, or a president of the Association. If so, he wanted a letter from them stating that the president didn't have a problem with my carrying a gun while performing my duties as treasurer. He stated that if I could not get a letter, he would have to put a restriction on my LTC stating that I could not carry while on Assocation business.

The president turned out to be a rabid anti-gun person. I informed the Sgt that he didn't even think I should be allowed to own a gun, nevermind actually being able to carry a gun.

When I was called to pick up my LTC I was fully expecting it to contain a restriction. It had none.

It is my personal opinion that the Sgt is clearly pro-2A and disregarded the absence of the letter.

mr.hustle
10-19-2011, 7:46 PM
cool. thanks ^^^^^^^^^

mr.hustle
11-15-2011, 6:33 PM
Ok..The sgt gave me a call recently and basically said he wanted a copy of my work ID, how should I take that? To me it sounded like a green light, but im unsure.

Also, lets say I give him a copy of my ID tomorrow, what is the time frame I should be anticipating for my approval or disapproval for a CCW?

PCPerks
11-17-2011, 7:45 PM
Maybe if you put your work info as part of the good cause statement they would want to verify? I'm not sure though. Hopefully someone much more knowledgeable will chime in as I've got a question as well.

Does someone that lives within the city limits of Ridgecrest have to go through the RPD for their LTC? I live in the county, but a friend of my wife is wanting to get one and has already gotten some bad FUD from one of the RPD officers about eligibility.

greasemonkey
11-17-2011, 9:47 PM
So your GC is at least partially work related? Can't think of any other reason he'd want a copy of your work ID. Kern's not really a problem county, at this point, I am curious why he wants a copy of your work ID...and technically, that is a form/document that's in addition to the standard application; but there hasn't been a real push to reform certain counties. Don't be afraid to ask why he wants it but I wouldn't be opposed (unless, as noted above, someone up the food chain at your work is/might be anti-gun or you'd prefer they didn't know you carried).

Ok..The sgt gave me a call recently and basically said he wanted a copy of my work ID, how should I take that? To me it sounded like a green light, but im unsure.

Also, lets say I give him a copy of my ID tomorrow, what is the time frame I should be anticipating for my approval or disapproval for a CCW?

mr.hustle
11-19-2011, 10:46 PM
I think he wanted a copy of my ID to show proof that I really work at a prison. Thats the only reason why, and I'm thinking why would he even ask for it if he was going to deny me anyway, right?

mr.hustle
11-19-2011, 10:47 PM
hopefully I get a letter this week.

mr.hustle
11-20-2011, 9:39 AM
Can someone please tell me after getting my letter in the mail, what else do I have to turn in besides the certificate? In terms of paperwork?

Fjold
11-20-2011, 9:51 AM
Once you get the approval letter, you need to do the fingerprints at the sheriff's office, turn in your training certificate and wait.

mr.hustle
11-20-2011, 10:08 AM
cool. so no other paperwork is required?

Whitesmoke
11-20-2011, 2:53 PM

nope...maybe DD214 if you were ever military.

mr.hustle
11-20-2011, 4:02 PM
cool thanks.

mr.hustle
11-21-2011, 4:34 PM
Got my Official Approval Letter today in the mail.

Dropped off application: 10/17

Approval letter: 11/21

I already took my ccw class on Saturday and obtained the certificate.
So all I need to do now is go to the Sheriffs Dept to do my fingerprints and drop off paperwork...

Hopefully I can pick up my permit before Christmas...

mr.hustle
11-26-2011, 3:39 AM
am I able add a another serial number or gun to my app when I go into the sheriffs office to turn in my certificate and have my fingerprinting done?

mr.hustle
11-28-2011, 5:08 PM
im heading to do my live scan tomorrow...any advice^^^^^

mr.hustle
11-29-2011, 11:54 AM
ok, I did my live scan finger printing and the lady gave me back my application and let me add another weapon on it.. Yeee!

Sam
12-03-2011, 4:32 AM
ok, I did my live scan finger printing and the lady gave me back my application and let me add another weapon on it.. Yeee!

It's been my experience that the ladies who handle the LTC in that office are very helpful and are quick to make requested changes.

mr.hustle
12-20-2011, 4:40 PM
Got a call from the sheriff office today 12/20/11 to pick up my permit...It took aprox 3 weeks...My first carry was to get a cut at the barbershop. I was actually shaky at first and nervous, but on the way home I was ok..

KC10cc
02-11-2012, 4:24 PM
Hey everyone. Ive finally got with the program and moved from LA county to Kern county and am now preparing to apply for my LTC. Before I do this do I have to be a resident of Kern county for a certain amount of time before I apply?

Kid Stanislaus
02-11-2012, 5:25 PM
Hey everyone. Ive finally got with the program and moved from LA county to Kern county and am now preparing to apply for my LTC.

AH! There ARE sane people in the world!!

pwer lineman
04-03-2012, 6:51 PM
Applied 2-21
Denied 3-15
Appealed 3-19
Called by sargeant 3-30
Waiting on app/denial now
Btw, cause in a nutshell
1 carry expensive $2-$3k tools

2 defense of large fam (difficult to run w 3 kids under 6)

pwer lineman
04-18-2012, 4:10 PM
Approval received 4/18/12
Now for training and live scan

KC10cc
04-18-2012, 4:35 PM
Congratulations on the approval! I just dropped my application off today. Ill be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

pwer lineman
04-18-2012, 5:06 PM

An original birth cert. or a certified copy

mojavered
04-19-2012, 8:42 AM
Is everyone hand writing their application or are you typing it out on the on-line app? Thanks!

pwer lineman
04-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Typed out.

pwer lineman
04-19-2012, 1:47 PM
Typed out.

mojavered
04-23-2012, 9:45 AM
Thanks!

mojavered
04-24-2012, 3:47 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to El Gato! I have not handed my application in yet, tomorrow, but he has helped with a few questions as well as good cause. Thanks Craig! Your help is appreciated!

pwer lineman
04-27-2012, 4:26 PM
got an approval letter in the mail. I'm enrolled in the 8 hour class with Craig at Powers Firearms Training for tomorrow at 5 Dogs Range! See you tomorrow El Gato

pwer lineman
05-03-2012, 4:44 PM
Did prints and paid $159 on 4-30. Waiting on background now...... They said 6 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnlyKetchup
05-29-2012, 7:33 PM
No updates on what is considered valid good cause statements? Co-worker and I are looking at applying.

pwer lineman
05-31-2012, 8:59 PM
Hunting, time in "back country", carrying "large sums of money" through rural areas of the county. Just like the kern county website says. Or documented threats. Small business owner, one who handles deposits.

pwer lineman
06-13-2012, 5:58 PM
Just a touch over six weeks. Picked up permit today, June 13

Hijax2
06-26-2012, 9:53 AM
Application turned in on April 9
Approval received May 17 (Letter dated May 15)
Live scan May 29
License ready June 26 (4 weeks exactly)

Picking it up today after work! :)

Motodad
06-27-2012, 11:36 AM
I am over 8 weeks and still waiting for a letter. :icon_bs:

KC10cc
06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Yeah man, Im in the same boat! going on 8 weeks myself.

Motodad
06-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah man, Im in the same boat! going on 8 weeks myself.

Well it's good to hear that I am not the only one in this boat.

KC10cc
06-29-2012, 3:52 PM
Just got my approval letter today. Took about 9 weeks. Onto training!

Motodad
06-29-2012, 4:06 PM
Received mine today too. I took the training a few weeks ago so I need to get up to Bakersfield now.

BlownZJ
08-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Could someone point me in the direction of the Kern CCW online app please? Searched the Sheriffs site and didn't find it. I have the PDF though would prefer to type it. Thanks!!

Whitesmoke
08-06-2012, 4:37 PM
Here are the forms:

http://www.kernsheriff.com/misc/FormsApps/Pages/default.aspx

You will have to use a PDF editor to edit the PDF form (to fill it out electronically). Go to http://www.cutepdf.com/ and download the evaluation version for free and you can edit the PDF application (Fill it out) and then save it as a PDF (and print it).

Thats what I did when I filled out mine....I hope that helps.

BlownZJ
08-07-2012, 6:20 PM
I thought it was some online app I couldn't find. :o Thanks for the help though! I ended up using "Preview" on my Mac and it worked perfectly.

pwer lineman
08-07-2012, 7:03 PM
I used the lake county app. Theirs is the state app, and fills out online

Motodad
08-16-2012, 3:02 PM
Everything has been done just waiting for my permit to show up at my local station.

April 20- turned in application
June 29- approval letter received
July 3- live scan
Today- still waiting

Motodad
08-27-2012, 6:56 PM
Finally received the call to go pick up my permit. Just over 4 months from start to finish.

KC10cc
08-28-2012, 1:07 AM
Same here. 7 Weeks from live scan, just over 4 months total.

Decoligny
08-28-2012, 7:37 AM
Finally received the call to go pick up my permit. Just over 4 months from start to finish.

Welcome to the club.

clutch_dust
09-02-2012, 10:53 PM
El Gato, you have a PM, sir. I think I'm going to turn in my application this week!

beckty
09-07-2012, 5:36 PM
Turned my app in today. Now the wait begins.

clutch_dust
09-17-2012, 4:16 PM
I had printer issues, then pen issues, then I couldn't figure out what the hell was on my H-6, then I forgot my utility bill when I went to turn in the app, but as of today, my application is officially turned in.

clutch_dust
09-28-2012, 3:49 PM
Just thought I would mention that I called the Rosamond substation to ask if I could pick up an application there, since my printer was possessed, and they put me on hold for a second and then said that they did in fact have them available. I headed over there as soon as I hung up and before I can even finish asking for one, the lady at the station tells me they don't have them and I would have to go to Bakersfield. I asked if I could turn it in with them just to make sure and she said yes. If you're in or around Rosamond, it's best just to print one or two applications out at home and get it all ready to go.

clutch_dust
10-25-2012, 2:34 PM
My application was abandoned today.

pwer lineman
10-31-2012, 5:03 PM
I read that you turned it in. Did you get denied?

clutch_dust
11-01-2012, 1:25 PM
It was "abandoned". I guess there was an issue with my gcs so instead of being denied, I just have to re-apply.

pwer lineman
11-14-2012, 2:31 PM
I guess that's better, not having to appeal. Hunting, camping, time in the wilderness were all "mentioned" as acceptable. As was carrying large sums of cash (although I find that kinda sketchy) in rural areas of the county.

beckty
11-15-2012, 1:10 PM
Did my fingerprints today. Here's to hoping for a quick turn around.

stuck_in_cali
12-12-2012, 2:47 PM
Anyone have any luck with the calguns CCW app in Kern? The one with a number of questions pre-answered with all the legal-speak? Sgt Smallwood (insert joke here) gave me the stare down & attitude of a 13-year old girl when I tried to submit mine today. He told me not to bother applying because it will be denied if I try to submit it with the legal-speak, despite my assuring him that I answered all the questions. Here goes re-doing the application....

Poncho1965
01-30-2013, 1:02 PM
I applied yesterday. Lets see what happens :D

Slim///
02-14-2013, 9:40 AM
Just dropped off my application. Now the wait begins

ezekiel1025
02-26-2013, 3:03 PM
Interesting

DOJY12
03-01-2013, 2:27 PM
I just dropped off my application. Will post when I receive my approval :-)

drilldaddy78
03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
My application was approved today. Just to give all you out there a ray of hope. Kern county is still the place to live.

Slim///
03-20-2013, 2:34 PM
How long ago did you turn in the application?

drilldaddy78
03-20-2013, 5:20 PM
Middle of December

Poncho1965
03-23-2013, 5:39 PM
I applied yesterday. Lets see what happens :D

I was denied, the good cause statement was insufficient. I will pursue this next year I guess...

Mike

asm_
03-23-2013, 11:57 PM
I was denied, the good cause statement was insufficient. I will pursue this next year I guess...

Mike

What was summary of your GCS, if you won't mind sharing? At least we can all learn "what does not work".

B

Poncho1965
03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
What was summary of your GCS, if you won't mind sharing? At least we can all learn "what does not work".

B

I am an avid 4x4'er and travel California, Nevada, and Arizona is some pretty remote and desolate places. In these places there is no cell signal and no expectation of a law enforcement presence. That was pretty much it, and appears it is not really a good reason for CC. Oh well. Disappointed most that people with no record at all must play the game. No real reason to be denied IMHO, but it's a learning experience for me!

asm_
03-27-2013, 1:55 AM
Thanks. I'm sorry that your app got denied. At least we now know mere fact of spending time in desolate area isn't good enough reason for a approval. Perhaps adding some reason why you would be a high value target while in desolate area may straighten your case.

Decoligny
04-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Just finished my "mandatory 4 hour course" for renewal.

Showed up at the range at 7:30 a.m. was on my way home at 8:30 a.m.

22 people at $50.00 per person = $1100.00 for the instructor.

50 rounds thrown down range. 30 strong hand, 20 weak hand.

Instruction consisted of the instructor telling us that we need to learn point and shoot if a CCW is to ever save us. He followed that by telling us the laws concerning CCW haven't changed in the past 2 years but the number of "No Guns Allowed" signs are increasing, and regardless of if you are licensed or not you can't carry anyplace there is a sign cause your CCW is invalid there.

Got my certificate, and then told the instructor that the signs carry no weight of law, and they can only ask you to leave.

He insisted that it was illegal to do so.

I left. It is no use arguing with a fool because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

My initial 8 hours class 2 years ago was only 1 hour 30 minutes with 16 rounds fired.

This refresher was no better.

PeteRR
04-19-2013, 7:28 PM
I got my approval letter from the KCSD yesterday. Finding a permit course to take is next.

Mojave Desert
04-19-2013, 7:44 PM

Instruction consisted of the instructor telling us that we need to learn point and shoot if a CCW is to ever save us. He followed that by telling us the laws concerning CCW haven't changed in the past 2 years but the number of "No Guns Allowed" signs are increasing, and regardless of if you are licensed or not you can't carry anyplace there is a sign cause your CCW is invalid there.

Got my certificate, and then told the instructor that the signs carry no weight of law, and they can only ask you to leave.

I left. It is no use arguing with a fool because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

My initial 8 hours class 2 years ago was only 1 hour 30 minutes with 16 rounds fired.

Sorry to hear about your sub-par instructor. Training way below the state mandated time may be a problem. :eek:

Next time try: www.advperpro.com

My re-cert was 4-hours, but didn't mind if I had to stay for 8!

Decoligny
05-13-2013, 9:23 AM
Got my renewal process started.

Went to the DMV on Friday to get a new "change of address" card, as the Sheriff now requires it to be date stamped. Took about 10 minutes waiting in line, and then at the "START" counter I told the lady what I needed, and she date stamped a blank card and handed it to me.

Then I stopped by the Rosamond Sheriff's Substation where they copied my DL and brown card, my LTC and my training certificate. I wrote out two checks, one for $10.00 to County of Kern, another for $52.00 to Department of Justice.

They will call when my renewed LTC is ready for me to pick up.

UPDATE: Submited for renewal on Friday, got called on Wednesday morning to pick up new license.

Photo Lizard
05-16-2013, 7:32 PM
I have my application and I am in the process of filling it out. Is there anyone with experience that can help me with my wording on the good cause statement? I own a small business and need the ccw for protection of some very valuable equipment.

Decoligny
05-16-2013, 10:46 PM
I have my application and I am in the process of filling it out. Is there anyone with experience that can help me with my wording on the good cause statement? I own a small business and need the ccw for protection of some very valuable equipment.

You will probably want to emphasize the time you are out of you business, as you can legally carry concealed there anyway.

I am guessing you are a photographer based on you screen name. You must travel with a lot of expensive photography equipment, and you must deal with cash payments and delivering those payments to the bank.
If this is an accurate assumption, try working that info into you good cause statement. Keep it simple, clear, and truthful.

PeteRR
05-17-2013, 5:07 AM
Mention multi-county travel, so as to lesson the chance of a restricted license. If you're a bit older and slower due to bad knees, etc, mention that. If you go into the back country with limited cell phone access and the attendant inability to call the sheriff/cops, mention that.

DOJY12
05-18-2013, 2:10 PM
I filed my application March 1, 2013 and just received my approval letter today!!! I'll be going to the Sheriffs Office Bakersfield on Tuesday with my birth cert, 8-hr training cert, and $159 check! One step closer :-)

What I don't understand is one of the men my husband works with filed his application 2 weeks before me and he received his approval one month after he filed and has also received his final CCW permit. Weird, but oh well...mine finally came and that's really all I should be concerned with.

Patriot760
05-31-2013, 11:25 AM
][/B]Turned mine in 5/25. Ill keep you all updated too. The girls in the office were very helpful, as was craig at kernccw. He answered a lot of my questions via email. Just wanted to say thanks again.

Be ready for stress everytime you chevk the mail lol just got my approval yesterday. Took over 2 months. Good luck bro

grantman
06-11-2013, 8:45 PM

Where was that so I DON'T go there. I'm planning on submitting my app and my wife's next week now that we've moved. Thanks

PeteRR
06-11-2013, 8:53 PM
I got my approval letter from the KCSD yesterday. Finding a permit course to take is next.

I submitted everything at KCSD in Bakersfield last Monday. Now we play the waiting game.

Michael in California
06-12-2013, 7:35 AM
Just received my approval yesterday. 12 weeks. Now to find a training course.

elnico
06-12-2013, 7:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of filling out my CCW app in Kern County. I know that Good Cause is the hot question. I saw in a post made several years ago that being an active outdoorsman/hunter/shooter was considered good cause here in Kern County. I just want to make sure I don't blow the GC statement, so I want to make sure that I do it right. I'm hoping someone here can help.

Is this still considered legitimate GC? I am seeking any input from someone that is an "every day joe" citizen that got an approval. I heard that Carl Sparks was recently on Inga's show and he allegedly said that Sheriff Youngblood pretty much rubber stamps CCW applications. I love Kern County for its conservative bent, but this sounds too good to be true. I am not former law enforcement, I am not a security guard, nor am I former military. I do have to travel for work, all over Kern County, and I carry thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars in electronic equipment when I travel. The issue with that is I work in the education system. I have no intention of carrying at any of the facilities I service, but I am concerned that working for the schools will result in a denial.

The other tack I was going to take was that I am an active outdoorsman. I also pursue archery, and I am in remote areas carrying expensive archery equipment, which could make me a target if someone wants to mug me. I also do unpaid side work for a private investigator, including witness interviews, accident scene photos, and surveillance. This is not my primary line of work, and I do it mainly as a favor to a person in another city to save them travel.

Which of these provides the best justification, and what level of documentation should I expect to provide?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

PeteRR
06-12-2013, 8:00 PM
This is my good cause statement that I submitted. I have omitted the first paragraph that established my links to the my local community.

My friends and I frequently travel off road throughout Kern, San Bernardino and Inyo County exploring the historic and scenic areas on our quads and highway vehicles. These areas are remote and often without cell phone coverage. Law enforcement and BLM rangers are seldom seen on our outings, which can involve overnight camping.

Since last Summer, I have gone on doctor’s recommended diet and part of the regime he prescribed to me is exercise that takes the form of hiking and this takes me to some remote back country where cellphone coverage and law enforcement are several hours away even if communication were possible. Because of the restricted amount of calories on this diet my endurance is limited and any sort of running or sprinting quickly leads to exhaustion.

Currently, when I go target shooting I use the BLM canyon on the south side of town or if I’m lucky enough to go with a coworker who is also a range member, to the Sage range outside of town. In compliance with state law, all my firearms are unloaded while being transported. I/We carry several thousand dollars worth of weapons, ammunition, and related equipment. There are BLM trails that go on from both locations as well.

Because of these reasons I have listed above, I believe that I could be in danger of great bodily injury or death. I have no other means of self protection and respectfully request your consideration and approval for granting me a CCW license.

elnico
06-13-2013, 7:40 AM
This is my good cause statement that I submitted. I have omitted the first paragraph that established my links to the my local community.

Thanks for the GC example. That's really good!

Did you get approval? If so, are there any restrictions based on your GC statement?

Thanks!

PeteRR
06-13-2013, 4:07 PM
Thanks for the GC example. That's really good!

Did you get approval? If so, are there any restrictions based on your GC statement?

Thanks!

I have received my approval letter and it has no restrictions listed.

DOJY12
06-20-2013, 8:15 AM
I filed my application March 1, 2013 and just received my approval letter today!!! I'll be going to the Sheriffs Office Bakersfield on Tuesday with my birth cert, 8-hr training cert, and $159 check! One step closer :-)

What I don't understand is one of the men my husband works with filed his application 2 weeks before me and he received his approval one month after he filed and has also received his final CCW permit. Weird, but oh well...mine finally came and that's really all I should be concerned with.

I received the call yesterday afternoon and picked up my permit. The entire process took just under 4 months.

I was under the impression that I could change/add the weapons list when I picked up my permit, but they didn't let me add my new pistol. Said I have to wait 30 days, then come back in with the new pistol. Does anyone know if that's true?

asm_
07-24-2013, 9:30 PM
I was under the impression that I could change/add the weapons list when I picked up my permit, but they didn't let me add my new pistol. Said I have to wait 30 days, then come back in with the new pistol. Does anyone know if that's true?

What ever they tell you is true. Unless you want to start a argument with the sheriff's office. You have to understand, sheriff does make the rule for CCW related issues.

DOJY12
07-25-2013, 6:03 AM
What ever they tell you is true. Unless you want to start a argument with the sheriff's office. You have to understand, sheriff does make the rule for CCW related issues.

I didn't question or argue when I picked up my permit. Later I called the CCW class instructor and told him what happened, he said he'd look into it. A few days later he called back and told me that there has been a change in policy to a 30 day wait on a new permit and that the only explanation the Bakersfield SO could give him was to allow time for DOJ to catch up on the paperwork.

So for anyone doing a new application, if possible make sure you know/have the weapon you will ultimately end up carrying and list it on your initial application.

PeteRR
08-01-2013, 3:01 PM
The Ridgecrest KCSD substation just called. My permit is available for pickup. :oji:

That is 8 weeks since I dropped my check and training cert off with the Sheriff.

elnico
08-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Just wanted to update everyone. I submitted my app on 6/17 and received a response on 8/21.

My application was approved. Doing my course on 9/7. I have birth cert, need finger prints (I assume those can be done at the sheriff's)?, so after my CCW Initial course, I will begin the last leg of the journey.

In the meantime, I am researching what style of holster to carry. I am looking for a balance between discretion and comfort, will probably try IWB out first.

I wanted to thank everyone that posted in this thread for sharing your experiences and advice in going through this process. It really helped a lot.

elnico
10-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Got my permit today. All told, it took from mid June to early October. Just under four months from start to finish.

Again, thanks for everyone's input, kind suggestions, and willingness to share their insight.

falar
11-06-2013, 9:18 AM
I am an avid 4x4'er and travel California, Nevada, and Arizona is some pretty remote and desolate places. In these places there is no cell signal and no expectation of a law enforcement presence. That was pretty much it, and appears it is not really a good reason for CC. Oh well. Disappointed most that people with no record at all must play the game. No real reason to be denied IMHO, but it's a learning experience for me!

Posts like this make me hesitate to apply.

Earlier in this thread "Avid outdoorsman" was listed as a GC statement that works but then this guy gets denied.

This is the angle I want to use as well. Even though I run a shop and hire/fire and fight against unemployment claims (some of the stuff listed on Kernccw site) I do NOT want to involve my job in the process. My boss is 5 states over and has no clue what I do out here or what goofy laws there are.

Zedrek
01-10-2014, 8:48 PM
I submitted my application on Wednesday, January 8th. Let the wait begin!

Paladin
01-13-2014, 12:14 AM

Earlier in this thread "Avid outdoorsman" was listed as a GC statement that works but then this guy gets denied.Yeah, I had always heard Kern pretty much accepted "avid shooter" as GC as well. Have they tightened up issuance??? If so, why? I mean, Solano, Sacto, and Fresno have pretty much gone virtual Shall Issue. Why would Kern go the other way?

It looks like they're making steady and significant increases in the # of CCWs issued each year since 2011:
http://calgunsfoundation.org/carry-initiative/reports/cgf_carry-license-report-2013.pdf

Poncho1965
01-17-2014, 6:19 PM

Earlier in this thread "Avid outdoorsman" was listed as a GC statement that works but then this guy gets denied.

This is the angle I want to use as well. Even though I run a shop and hire/fire and fight against unemployment claims (some of the stuff listed on Kernccw site) I do NOT want to involve my job in the process. My boss is 5 states over and has no clue what I do out here or what goofy laws there are.

I was not sure if sharing my GC statement with a coworker was the cause. He was granted a permit while I was denied. He said he pretty much used my statement. He applied shortly before I did. Would a family member who is a felon be a reason for denial? Another thing, I did have my GC statement reviewed by a CCW instructor before submitting, and was assured it was sufficient.

I can reapply in March. Maybe I will give it a try again.

Mike

Zedrek
01-19-2014, 6:44 PM
I was not sure if sharing my GC statement with a coworker was the cause. He was granted a permit while I was denied. He said he pretty much used my statement. He applied shortly before I did. Would a family member who is a felon be a reason for denial? Another thing, I did have my GC statement reviewed by a CCW instructor before submitting, and was assured it was sufficient.

I can reapply in March. Maybe I will give it a try again.

Mike

Your family shouldn't have anything to do with it. Maybe you forgot to list a ticket or police contact?

Poncho1965
01-21-2014, 6:04 AM
Your family shouldn't have anything to do with it. Maybe you forgot to list a ticket or police contact?

Agreed. No tickets in over 15 years, police contact....? None involving tickets, warrants, etc. I've had police involved many times over my son, would that be something I would need to list? The denial letter only stated "insufficient" GC statement. I could not appeal in writing, as I received the notification the day after I left to Hawaii for two weeks.

Mike

Zedrek
02-10-2014, 5:45 PM
Submitted application on January 8th.
Received approval on Feb 8th.
Gotta take the 8 hour course and go get fingerprinted next.

cycoguy
03-01-2014, 2:37 PM
App dropped off feb-28.
We will see.

PeteRR
03-01-2014, 5:22 PM
App dropped off feb-28.
We will see.

Good luck. I'm carrying more and more. The next step is carrying in San Diego when I head down next month for a doctor's visit.

Zedrek
03-03-2014, 1:22 PM
App submitted: January 8th
Approved on : February 8th
8 hour class: March 1st
Fingerprints: March 3rd
CCW: ????????

InTheMojave
03-14-2014, 8:49 PM
Has the Kern County Sheriff's department started taking "self defense" as a GCS, or is it status quo?

cycoguy
03-15-2014, 5:21 PM
Update.

March 14th, approval letter.

bomb_on_bus
03-15-2014, 6:34 PM
tagged

Zedrek
03-16-2014, 9:34 AM
Has the Kern County Sheriff's department started taking "self defense" as a GCS, or is it status quo?

Not sure. He's always been pretty lenient in the GCS but it wouldn't hurt to give them a little something to work with besides just putting down "self defense". Explain why you need it for self defense or if you need it because you go camping out in the back country or transport money or such. Read this PDF on it for some more tips:

http://powerssecuritytraining.com/How_To_Article_with_Watermark.pdf

Zedrek
03-24-2014, 1:24 PM
Wohoo! I got the call to come pick my permit up.

CCW: March 24th

PeteRR
03-24-2014, 1:26 PM
Congrats!

pseank
03-25-2014, 7:42 PM
Just curious to hear from anyone who has applied in Kern over the last few months and the timeline in receiving their letter, either yes or no. From the two 2014 cases above, it looks like 30 days or even less to hear back.
It has been a few months for mine and no response, positive or negative. Thank you for your time.

$3@n
04-29-2014, 5:13 PM
Here is my Kern timeline thus far:
3/3/14 app submitted
4/11/14 approved
4/28/14 livescan prints, cert and payment turned in
Was told by helpful clerk that I should receive call in 4-6 weeks
The KCSO staff have been great.

Paladin
06-21-2014, 9:32 AM
Wohoo! I got the call to come pick my permit up.

CCW: March 24th
Congrats! :party:

Paladin
06-21-2014, 9:33 AM
Here is my Kern timeline thus far:
3/3/14 app submitted
4/11/14 approved
4/28/14 livescan prints, cert and payment turned in
Was told by helpful clerk that I should receive call in 4-6 weeks
The KCSO staff have been great.
Congrats! :party:

Paladin
06-21-2014, 9:36 AM
Not sure. He's always been pretty lenient in the GCS but it wouldn't hurt to give them a little something to work with besides just putting down "self defense". Explain why you need it for self defense or if you need it because you go camping out in the back country or transport money or such....
Sounds like the Solano sheriff -- too timid to "take the plunge" like Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Fresno, Ventura, Orange counties and just say SD is sufficient GC.

tunafed
06-23-2014, 11:56 PM
Just to share my timeline;

4/1 Turned in app to the local sub station (Deputy that took it didn't seem like he was that familiar with it and insisted he take my original registration and utility bill, I didn't complain)
4/21 got a letter from the SD didn't notice it was the from the sub station, after tearing it open turned out to be my originals mailed back to me.
5/15 Got approval letter
5/17 Course completed
6/6 Live scan completed (misplaced my birth cert and took a while to get a new one)
6/23 Got the phone call and picked up in Bakersfield.

Pretty stoked right now!

Paladin
06-24-2014, 2:18 PM
Just to share my timeline;

4/1 Turned in app to the local sub station (Deputy that took it didn't seem like he was that familiar with it and insisted he take my original registration and utility bill, I didn't complain)
4/21 got a letter from the SD didn't notice it was the from the sub station, after tearing it open turned out to be my originals mailed back to me.
5/15 Got approval letter
5/17 Course completed
6/6 Live scan completed (misplaced my birth cert and took a while to get a new one)
6/23 Got the phone call and picked up in Bakersfield.

Pretty stoked right now!
Congrats!
:party:

rackops51
07-19-2014, 7:06 AM
Turned in my paperwork to the Sheriff's office July 11th...we'll see how long it takes!

Edgy01
08-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Will a passport suffice instead of original birth certificate? Being military all my life, stuff like that is really hard to get my hands on.

Dan

rackops51
08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Got my letter on August 13, almost exactly a month after I turned in the application. Took the course last Saturday, plan on heading in to do my livescan and turn in the paperwork next week (schedule won't permit me doing it this week...)

rackops51
08-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Will a passport suffice instead of original birth certificate? Being military all my life, stuff like that is really hard to get my hands on.

Dan

I wondered the same thing...I hadn't seen my birth certificate since applying for a passport in 1992. I don't even recall needing it when I joined the military. I was born in Los Angeles, so I was planning on taking a day to go down and get a copy, but got lucky and found out my dad still had it (no clue why...guess I never asked for it!)

If you find out if they accept passports for native-born citizens, let us know!

tunafed
08-31-2014, 10:32 PM
Passport will not suffice if born in the US. I called a couple different times asking and got the same no every time.

Sixtigers
09-03-2014, 2:06 AM
I'm in Ridgecrest. Recently, I sought (and received!) my CCW. I went through Ridgecrest PD as opposed to the County. Reasoning for that was because I was operating under assumptions derived from my study of the CCW application process...in 2006 :facepalm:.

Back then, if you lived in an incorporated township (any place that had a local PD), then you had to go through the PD first. That is no longer the case, and anyone can go through the SO first.

I documented the process here. (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_11/553872_The_wife_and_I_applied_for_our_CCW_today___ UPDATE__Finished__P__2.html&page=1
)

Time from start to finish: two months and three days. Might have been able to cut two weeks off of that if we could have taken our initial CCW course earlier.

Cost from start to finish: $348 apiece, not counting ammunition.

Summary: Surprisingly easy, helpful people all the way through the process, and turns out the local LEOs are just like us--good guys, who seemed to like the idea of citizens carrying. I was surprised, and very pleased.

I think I know some of you guys...seems to be a lot of ex-Navy aviation types up in here. Stop by QA and say hi!

Peragro
09-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi All;

Just starting on the process of getting a CCW in Kern Co. Working through the paperwork today. One question I have is am I able to list a pistol registered under my wife's name on my CCW application? And, vice versa since she'll probably be getting a CCW down the road and most of the guns are registered to me.

Sailormilan2
09-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi All;

Just starting on the process of getting a CCW in Kern Co. Working through the paperwork today. One question I have is am I able to list a pistol registered under my wife's name on my CCW application? And, vice versa since she'll probably be getting a CCW down the road and most of the guns are registered to me.

Kern SO told my son is was okay to put a couple of my registered guns on his CCW. So I would say it is okay.

Peragro
09-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Kern SO told my son is was okay to put a couple of my registered guns on his CCW. So I would say it is okay.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.

mds2004
09-10-2014, 6:47 PM
I just submitted my application today (9/10), so hopefully all goes well. I will update once I receive my letter.

mds2004
10-10-2014, 8:41 PM
9/10: submit application
10/8: Call from Sargeant asking if I plan to carry at work
10/10: Received approval letter!

peks03
10-11-2014, 4:51 PM
9/10: submit application

that's been about the timeline here in kern. good luck with the rest of the process.

mds2004
10-11-2014, 9:53 PM
that's been about the timeline here in kern. good luck with the rest of the process.

Thanks. I just registered to take the the class next Saturday (10/18) with Craig from Power Security Training.

peks03
10-14-2014, 10:22 AM
timeline so far:
6/10 - submitted application to satellite office
7/8 - sheriff's office called to verify residency
7/12 - received approval letter
7/19 - took class
7/21 - submitted all paperwork and live scan
10/14 - still waiting for approval/denial of LTC
called Bakersfield at week 4, 7, 10, and today all with the same answer that they are still awaiting results from CA DOJ (Bakersfield has been pleasant every time I've called)

mds2004
10-24-2014, 6:39 PM
I took the class in the 18th and did the livescan on 10/23. I hope it doesn't take as long as you peks.

rackops51
10-24-2014, 7:03 PM
I turned in my payment and did the LiveScan on 11 Sept.

Crickets so far...

peks03
10-27-2014, 9:17 AM
I took the class in the 18th and did the livescan on 10/23. I hope it doesn't take as long as you peks.

there have been a few others at my work that have taken as short as two weeks from livescan and the person I was doing everything the same time as got his call within four weeks. one other guy got his call at week 13, but I've taken the longest so far of people I know personally. I'm on week 14 from livescan today and still waiting...

rackops51
10-27-2014, 9:20 AM
there have been a few others at my work that have taken as short as two weeks from livescan and the person I was doing everything the same time as got his call within four weeks. one other guy got his call at week 13, but I've taken the longest so far of people I know personally. I'm on week 14 from livescan today and still waiting...

That is quite strange. I didn't even think about how long mine was taking until you posted...and it's far longer than my employees who got their CCWs earlier this year.

Since you submitted two months before me, I'm going to be very interested in seeing how yours turns out...

rackops51
10-27-2014, 3:34 PM
Got the phone call this afternoon...pick up my permit tomorrow! Yay! :thumbsup:

peks03
10-27-2014, 6:01 PM
Got the phone call this afternoon...pick up my permit tomorrow! Yay! :thumbsup:

congrats, they must of received a bunch of responses from sac since i received a voice message that mine was ready to pick up today as well. going tomorrow late a.m. to pick mine up. :D maybe see you there rackops...

14 weeks to the day after livescan...not *****ing, just saying :p

Photo Lizard
10-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Hello all,
Was wondering if maybe someone on here could give me feedback on my good cause. I did not mention it in here but I have had incidents where strangers have hassled me but I never called the authorities because there was no cell service.

Hello,
My name is 000. I was born and raised in Bakersfield, graduating from 000 School in 000. I left to goto college and returned to Bakersfield after I got married and had children.

I am a photographer and I work from home. I frequently shoot video and still photography in very remote areas in the desert and mountains where there is little or no cellular service. Law enforcement and rangers are seldom in the area. This also often requires camping for anywhere between 1-4 nights at a time.

Additionally I often have to travel to remote areas looking for locations to do photography and video. I am usually by myself and law enforcement is rarely nearby. I enjoy camping and gold prospecting so I sometimes mix the trip in together for several days.

When I travel to these remote areas I bring a lot of camera equipment. When I am doing simple photography I will usually have between $18,000 and $28,000 in camera equipment with me. If I am doing more complicated photography/video I can easily end up with $35,000 to $65,000 in camera and lighting equipment with me.

Because of these reasons I have listed above, I believe that I could be in danger of great bodily injury or death. I have no other means of self protection and respectfully request your consideration and approval for granting me a CCW license.

manwolf
11-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Kern is a piece of cake. Just say legal self defense.

mds2004
11-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Manwolf, Ive seen people rejected for just self defense.

Photo Lizard, I would be more specific on the remote places you travel. ALso since you are a photographer do you carry large sums of money when people pay you and when you need to go to the bank? Does doing your job require to work at night as well?

Try to elaborate more on where you feel you can be in danger.

Originally my good cause was like yours, but after speaking with El Gato on the forum he helped me elaborate. You can also check out his website and ping him with your good cause. After you get your approval take his class and you will be good to go. His website is http://www.powerssecuritytraining.com/ and his email is craig@kernccw.com

I will also PM you mine to see if it can help at all.

Photo Lizard
11-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Thank you for the help, will do!

Yes I usually am working several hours before sunrise to several hours after sunset. I don't carry cash, most are paid by check or cc but the equipment is very obvious and attracts unwanted attention often.

sig-guy
11-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Hi folks,

Posting this question for my brother-in-law who lives in Alpine Forest -- He's totally off-grid. His cars are registered to his address, but he's a renter so no property tax bill. What can he use as a second proof of residence? The ccw app clearly says no cell phone. Does DirecTV or HugesNet satellite internet qualify?

thanks

Zedrek
11-04-2014, 8:07 PM
Hi folks,

Posting this question for my brother-in-law who lives in Alpine Forest -- He's totally off-grid. His cars are registered to his address, but he's a renter so no property tax bill. What can he use as a second proof of residence? The ccw app clearly says no cell phone. Does DirecTV or HugesNet satellite internet qualify?

thanks

I used my car registration and my Bright House Networks internet service bill and they accepted it.

mds2004
12-02-2014, 6:34 PM
Received it on my birthday of all days!
9/10: Submit application
10/18: Take class through Craig Powers
10/23: Complete Livescan
12/2: Receive call and pickup!

Sixtigers
01-13-2015, 4:53 AM
Huh...We share a birthday.

Welcome, brother Ophiucus!

Paladin
01-14-2015, 10:43 AM
I've always heard Kern SO was CCW friendly, but do they accept SD as sufficient GC?

Their website under their "Frequent Questions" page (http://www.kernsheriff.com/misc/FAQ/Pages/default.aspx) has:
Q. How do I qualify for a Concealed Weapons Permit?

A. Contact the Vice / Licensing Unit for information on the application procedure. Their phone number is: 661-391-7500.

The initial page of the linked CCW application (standard DOJ form) has the below, but it does not mention GC either (http://www.kernsheriff.com/misc/FormsApps/Pages/default.aspx):

KERN COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE
1350 NORRIS ROAD BLD. B BAKERSFIELD, CA 93308 MONDAY thru FRIDAY 8:00am – 3:30pm (661) 391-7788
COMPLETE THE ENTIRE APPLICATION!!!
If a question does not apply to you, please indicate with “N/A” **DO NOT TAKE YOUR 8HR TRAINING COURSE UNTIL YOUR APPLICATION HAS
BEEN APPROVED Per PC 26165(d)/PC 26202
DO NOT SIGN - Pages 3, 8 and 11
A FIREARM must be listed on Page 5 in order to process your application (up to 10 firearms can be on your permit).
COMPLETE THE INVESTIGATOR’S INTERVIEW NOTES - Pages 9-10
YOU MUST PRESENT A VALID CALIFORNIA DRIVERS LICENSE:
With your CURRENT PHYSICAL address. If it does not have your physical address or it lists a PO BOX, include the “BROWN CARD” (DMV form DL43) you will carry with your license. NO EXCEPTIONS. You must notify the Sheriff’s Office within ten (10) days of any address changes.
YOU MUST ALSO PROVIDE (2)(different) CURRENT ORIGINAL PROOFS OF RESIDENCE in KERN COUNTY w/the address you have listed in the application:
DMV Vehicle Registration - Current Year
Utility Bill - Service address on second page, not mail address (bring entire bill)
Phone Bill (NO cell bills) - Must list service address, not mail address
Property Tax Statement – 2013/2014 Year statement with location description (top right corner)
(Copies/On-line bills WILL NOT be honored. Spouses bills will be acknowledged) **If you get on-line bills you need to go to that agency and have them type you a letter stating you have service at this address and have them stamp it with their business stamp and initial it. PLEASE DO NOT BRING IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT IS LISTED AS PROOFS OF RESIDENCE AS THEY WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Applicant must be a United States Citizen
Applicant may not be on any type of probation
Applicant must not have any felony convictions
Applicant must be at least 21 years of age and reside in the County of Kern
Any Applicant with an arrest or conviction in the last five (5) years is generally disqualified.
 Private Investigators applying for A CCW license must provide his/her Private Investigator license and the Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau of Security and Investigative Services exposed weapons permit.
 Any applicant whose request to carry a firearm that includes their place of employment, must submit with the application a letter from his/her employer. This letter must acknowledge the fact the employer knows and approves of the applicant carrying a firearm while working.
You will receive a letter of approval/denial in approximately 12 weeks. If you are approved, you must finish the process within 90 days. THERE ARE NO REIMBURSEMENT FEES.

PeteRR
01-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Emphasize being isolated from LE in remote areas and any physical limitation that would prevent you from getting away or defending yourself. It worked for me.

Peragro
01-16-2015, 8:53 PM
Dropped off application in Ridgecrest on 1 Dec 14

Was told it would take 4 to 6 months to hear back.

Got the approval letter today, 16 Jan 15

...Now on to take the class!

Paladin
02-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Dropped off application in Ridgecrest on 1 Dec 14

Was told it would take 4 to 6 months to hear back.

Got the approval letter today, 16 Jan 15

...Now on to take the class!
Congrats!

:party:

Did you use more than "self-defense" for GC? If so, can you paraphrase what you used?

Peragro
02-06-2015, 3:37 PM
Basically, said that I spend time in remote locations, sometimes with expensive equipment, which I do. Didn't really use self-defense up front but alluded to it.

JAWS
02-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Thus far, my timeline has been consistent with what others have posted. Don't remember exact dates, but got the letter about a month after submitting the application. Went in for fingerprints last week - looks like this is the step that varies the most in terms of wait time, so I'll post an update when I get the call.

In the meantime, I heard (well, I read a rumor on the internet, haha) that Kern County is switching over to a hard card instead of the paper... for those of you who picked it up recently, was it still paper?

Paladin
03-03-2015, 10:08 AM
Emphasize being isolated from LE in remote areas and any physical limitation that would prevent you from getting away or defending yourself. It worked for me.

Basically, said that I spend time in remote locations, sometimes with expensive equipment, which I do. Didn't really use self-defense up front but alluded to it.

Thx. At this point I'll just add a "thumbs-up" to the thread title. Sounds like being a regular hiker might get you a CCW.

Seems like you guys are in the same boat as Solano and Riverside where it is not difficult to pass GC, but they don't (yet?) accept mere SD as GC either.

Dog959
03-04-2015, 2:38 PM
I am a retired senior citizen, with a spotless record; not so much as a traffic ticket in probably a decade. I have applied at the Sheriffs office a total of 3 times in the past 3+ years, and have been denied each and every time. The reason stated is "no just cause". I am not willing to play the game, getting a business license, etc; I feel this is BS!! Personal protection should be "Just Cause"!!

Peragro
03-09-2015, 9:09 PM
Quick update on the process.

Took the CCW 8 hour course on 21 Feb with High Desert Defense in Ridgecrest, CA. I enjoyed the class and both instructors were very helpful and good guys. I would recommend them.

Wasn't able to go to Bakersfield until today to show birth certificate, training certificate and all the handguns (busy schedule). Things went pretty smooth. I thought it was a bit awkward when it came time to show the guns I had listed on the permit. I put 6 on there and brought them with in a duffle bag. You're required to have cable locks through them. You're also showing the clerk each gun for a serial number check right there in the lobby at the window with everyone else waiting in line behind you and sitting in chairs waiting to be served. This was kind of weird to me. Especially since they take you back behind the closed door to do the fingerprinting. Seems like it would be a better idea to do the gun check then, out of the public. But, I don't make the rules. Fingerprinting went smoothly. She took 2 sets in case one was messed up so that I wouldn't have to drive back again from Ridgecrest. I asked her about the rumored new plastic cards. She said that they have the machine and they're ready to go, they just need the ok from DoJ to proceed. No idea how long that would take. She said it would be possible to change out the rice-paper card with a plastic one when they're up and running with it. She mentioned that it's been running at least 2 months and probably longer from fingerprinting to getting the license due to DoJ being the issuing authority. Apparently, they're backed up or something.

Anyway, that was my experience. Now the 2-3 month wait - hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

JAWS
03-10-2015, 7:39 AM
Good info - hopefully they're just doing some "expectation management" with the 2-3 month estimate. I would have sworn I've been waiting on the call for 3 months already, but according to the calendar it hasn't even been 3 weeks, haha. On the bright side, maybe the DOJ approval for the plastic cards will come in just before they're ready to print the license...

Tank1977
03-23-2015, 2:39 AM
My timeline-Kern County
Did livescan 01/14/2015
Call from Sheriff my permit is ready 03/19/2015 :):):):):):):):):)::facepalm:
Total 9 weeks and one day
No hard card still paper license.
Have a good day!!!!

Paladin
03-23-2015, 6:35 AM

My timeline-Kern County
Did livescan 01/14/2015
Total 9 weeks and one day....

Can you give us a rough idea of your Good Cause statements? Did you use more than mere "self-defense"/"personal protection"? If so, how much more?

Michael in California
03-23-2015, 6:50 AM
My timeline-Kern County
Did livescan 01/14/2015
Total 9 weeks and one day
No hard card still paper license.
Have a good day!!!!

I was told last December that hard cards were supposed to start 1 Jan. Obviously not. Did you get a new timeline for this?

Tank1977
03-24-2015, 12:23 AM
I was told last December that hard cards were supposed to start 1 Jan. Obviously not. Did you get a new timeline for this?
I was ask but no timeline.

Tank1977
03-24-2015, 12:34 AM
Can you give us a rough idea of your Good Cause statements? Did you use more than mere "self-defense"/"personal protection"? If so, how much more?
Just self defense-have small business.

right_on
04-22-2015, 7:36 PM
did the live scan today... and the waiting starts. by the way, the ladies at the live scan for kern county are very friendly and knowledgeable.

my time line
March 4 2015 turned in paper works
March 15 2015 took the class at powers firearms
April 17 2015 received the approval letter
April 22 2015 live scan

right_on
05-18-2015, 10:37 AM
did the live scan today... and the waiting starts. by the way, the ladies at the live scan for kern county are very friendly and knowledgeable.

my time line
April 22 2015 live scan

going on only the 4th week... and it felt like a year and forever of waiting lol. hopefully i get a call sooner or later.

anyone have any updates on theirs that's somewhat have the same time line as mine? i see the average is between 5-12 weeks and anything in between.

JAWS
05-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Picked mine up toward the beginning of this month... Took right around 11 weeks. Wish I had a better update for you, I know waiting sucks. Maybe you'll get lucky though

right_on
05-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Picked mine up toward the beginning of this month... Took right around 11 weeks. Wish I had a better update for you, I know waiting sucks. Maybe you'll get lucky though

it's ok, that's better than most of the other updates you rear/hear around the neighboring counties. thanks for the info.

Peragro
05-18-2015, 11:12 PM

Took the CCW 8 hour course on 21 Feb with High Desert Defense in Ridgecrest, CA. I enjoyed the class and both instructors were very helpful and good guys. I would recommend them.

Wasn't able to go to Bakersfield until today to show birth certificate, training certificate and all the handguns (busy schedule). Things went pretty smooth. I thought it was a bit awkward when it came time to show the guns I had listed on the permit. I put 6 on there and brought them with in a duffle bag. You're required to have cable locks through them. You're also showing the clerk each gun for a serial number check right there in the lobby at the window with everyone else waiting in line behind you and sitting in chairs waiting to be served. This was kind of weird to me. Especially since they take you back behind the closed door to do the fingerprinting. Seems like it would be a better idea to do the gun check then, out of the public. But, I don't make the rules. Fingerprinting went smoothly. She took 2 sets in case one was messed up so that I wouldn't have to drive back again from Ridgecrest. I asked her about the rumored new plastic cards. She said that they have the machine and they're ready to go, they just need the ok from DoJ to proceed. No idea how long that would take. She said it would be possible to change out the rice-paper card with a plastic one when they're up and running with it. She mentioned that it's been running at least 2 months and probably longer from fingerprinting to getting the license due to DoJ being the issuing authority. Apparently, they're backed up or something.

Anyway, that was my experience. Now the 2-3 month wait - hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

Got the call today to come pick up. She said it's a paper card, they don't have plastic yet. So, 9 Mar was when I did Livescan with the Sherriff. DOJ took from then until now to run it. Of course, I left today for a business trip for this week so won't be able to pick up until Friday...:facepalm:

right_on
07-01-2015, 9:50 AM
bump! i think it's 70 days since livescan... or 10 weeks ago. still waiting for the call from kern county.

my time line
update!

my time line
April 22 2015 live scan
July 7 2015 issue date

44fred
08-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Just a heads up....
Kern Co. is now letting you put up to 10 handguns on your permit.

Zedrek
09-03-2015, 9:28 PM
Just a heads up....
Kern Co. is now letting you put up to 10 handguns on your permit.

I have 10 on mine but still no plastic card as of last week.

FD929
09-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Can't pick it up until tomorrow but I got the call yesterday.

5-28 submitted
6-17 Approval letter
7-14 class
7-20 livescan and Arizona app mailed
7-28 Arizona permit received
9-21 Ca received

92GTA
09-22-2015, 1:23 PM
Can't pick it up until tomorrow but I got the call yesterday.

5-28 submitted
6-17 Approval letter
7-14 class
7-20 livescan and Arizona app mailed
7-28 Arizona permit received
9-21 Ca received

Awesome, congrats!

Alex

ferrisb1
10-30-2015, 7:33 AM
Submitted paperwork early September. Have not heard anything yet:oji:

Update: Received letter of approval November 3rd.

Penskr
12-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Hi everyone,
glad to see alot of others from bakersfield.

I am in the process of getting my CCW also. Already finished everything just waiting for my phone call.

Turned in App 8/7/2015
Approval letter 10/7/2015
Livescan was 10/15/2015 still waiting for my call

i am 10 weeks since Live Scan was done, i been reading that the times for the phone call seem to be getting longer and longer...

ericamichelle22
01-04-2016, 1:24 PM
Hi, I am in need of some help to write a letter of good cause for my dad who lives in Kern County. Can anyone help me.?!

Penskr
01-23-2016, 4:43 PM
update on my permit.. 15 weeks in kern county still waiting for phone call...:gene:

jc1967
01-26-2016, 2:24 PM
Any idea how long it takes to get approval letter? I received mine in 2 weeks but have a friend who is on day 20 and hasn't received anything yet

TheSierraDrifter
02-29-2016, 6:39 AM
Any idea how long it takes to get approval letter? I received mine in 2 weeks but have a friend who is on day 20 and hasn't received anything yet

I know someone that's been waiting a little over a month for his. He said when he went in to drop the app off, there were about 12 people already signed in on the clipboard for that morning, and several more came in while he was waiting. Must be backed up due to demand.

jc1967
03-10-2016, 6:52 PM
Anybody here got any updates on how long it is taking for doj clearance in kern county?

TheSierraDrifter
03-10-2016, 7:36 PM
I know someone that's been waiting a little over a month for his. He said when he went in to drop the app off, there were about 12 people already signed in on the clipboard for that morning, and several more came in while he was waiting. Must be backed up due to demand.

Update: He just got his approval letter, a little over a month.

TheSierraDrifter
03-10-2016, 7:36 PM
Anybody here got any updates on how long it is taking for doj clearance in kern county?

Friend's letter said expect to wait 16-18 weeks, but that's not real world.

Imthabean
03-14-2016, 4:54 PM
Got an unique issue.

I just submitted my app last week (3/9/16) and awaiting the next step.

Issue is, I just received a call to interview for a job I applied for recently which completely negates my GC which is centered around my current job scope and such.

Will this create an issue?
If I get the job in the middle of the process. What will I have to do? Will I need a new GC? resubmit a new app?

Lmartinez614
03-17-2016, 9:41 PM
Hello, man it feels awesome to read this. I'm moving up to Bakersfield soon from LA County so I can't wait to apply for this.

Anyone know if living in Kern County but working in LA County might be an issue? I'd be driving early mornings, late nights etc. I'm also a therapist that is on call often so I would be responding to crisis calls at all times of the day if needed. I think my job might be an issue but if anything could I say that when I'm in therapy sessions it will be locked and secured in my car inside a car safe? Or should I only answer that if asked?

skyscraper
03-17-2016, 10:42 PM
Hello, man it feels awesome to read this. I'm moving up to Bakersfield soon from LA County so I can't wait to apply for this.

Anyone know if living in Kern County but working in LA County might be an issue? I'd be driving early mornings, late nights etc. I'm also a therapist that is on call often so I would be responding to crisis calls at all times of the day if needed. I think my job might be an issue but if anything could I say that when I'm in therapy sessions it will be locked and secured in my car inside a car safe? Or should I only answer that if asked?
You shouldn't have any issue. As long as you live in kern county, that should be fine. My good cause was due to traveling to remote areas around the county and also out of the county. You won't have to specify about storage in a safe.

Just remember though, they may want to speak with your supervisor if you are using a work related reason . They verified with my supervisor that he was aware I applied for a ccw

Lmartinez614
03-18-2016, 7:56 AM
You shouldn't have any issue. As long as you live in kern county, that should be fine. My good cause was due to traveling to remote areas around the county and also out of the county. You won't have to specify about storage in a safe.

Just remember though, they may want to speak with your supervisor if you are using a work related reason . They verified with my supervisor that he was aware I applied for a ccw

Cool, thank you. I already filled out the application and typed up a good GC. Just waiting to see what my address will be once I move. (Lol). Hopefully it works out. I kept it simple, (commute, 24/7 responder due to job, lack of cell service, away from LE, hiking and photographer who carries expensive stuff) so we will see. It's a short little 5 sentence paragraph so I'm not BEGGING for one. Haha. I also didn't put my specific title on there, just that I work mon-fri and that I'm also on call and that I can be required to respond at all hours)

Rzani
07-08-2016, 7:10 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions and I'll apologize in advance if these have been asked and answered before.

My wife and I will soon be applying for CCWs here in Kern. We both have various guns registered in our names. Can we put eachothers guns on our CCW permits? It would be nice to list all our guns and carry whichever we want regardless of whose name it is registered to.

Also, I had a CCW in Kern before and let it expire. Will this cause me any issues when I apply again? I realize I will need to take the full classes again which is no big deal because I want to take them with my wife anyway.

Thanks!

DOJY12
07-09-2016, 6:04 AM
You're allowed 10 guns on your CCW - hubby and I had each others on ours, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't think letting you CCW lapse would be a problem, but have no experience or knowledge on that issue.

Rzani
07-09-2016, 6:48 PM
Thanks so much for the response! Good to know we can share carry guns. I wouldn't think letting it lapse is a problem either. In fact, if they approved it once then why wouldn't they again as long as nothing has changed right?

Bakersfield_Grizzly
07-10-2016, 1:26 PM
Thanks so much for the response! Good to know we can share carry guns. I wouldn't think letting it lapse is a problem either. In fact, if they approved it once then why wouldn't they again as long as nothing has changed right?

Rzani, Good to go on sharing the guns, CA is a common property state, I.E. whats hers is mine and what's mine is hers. Not so with your brothers gun. It is a felony to use someone else's gun to defend yourself.

If you had a CCW and let it lapse, as long as there were no issues (lost firearm..., felony charge) I heard it was a quick approval process. I guess they figure if you had one once and never got in trouble then you are good to go.

Contact KernCCW.com, friendly folks and they can help you with any questions with current info.

I am not a lawyer and give no legal advice.:innocent: