PDA

View Full Version : Humboldt

obeygiant
10-14-2010, 11:12 PM
If the CCW license is desired for self-protection, the protection of others, or for the protection of large sums of money or valuable property, you are required to explain and provide good cause for issuance of the license. For example, has your life or property been threatened or jeopardized? Explain incidents and include dates, times, locations, and names of police agencies to which these incidents were reported.

The Sheriff requires at least one paragraph detailing your desire for a concealed weapon license. This requirement is for New Applicants and Renewal Applicants.

http://www.humboldtgov.org/342/Concealed-Weapons-Permit

So, GC sounds doable for most law-abiding folks living there (e.g., use regular hiking where there's no cellphone coverage, or extended LE response times), but I wished the sheriff would just follow Sac, San Joaquin, Merced, Monterey, Fresno, Ventura and many others in accepting "self-defense" as sufficient GC. State law does NOT require them to require more.

3B830
10-24-2010, 1:41 PM
HC issues liberally for a 60% Dem. area thankfully. However they make you take the training class before they approve the application and limit licenses to only three pistols (making you qualify on each one). I don't believe there is any statutory authority for those rules.

3B830
10-24-2010, 2:02 PM
http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/156-sponsorships-to-date

CGF has a HUMBOLDT CO. initial sponsorship goal of only 2 individual sponsors. Who will join me in sponsoring HC (only a $100 each) to meet 100% of our initial goal?

PM and we'll make it happen!

And if only six individuals will join me we can reach our County's $$$ goal!

3B830
10-25-2010, 7:55 PM
Bump! There must be one other HC CGer who can cough up a sponsorship. If you want to be anonymous just pm me the $$$ confirmation number and I'll hold your ID in confidence (I realize it's a small county with little anonymity). I'll then post mine. Who will rally to the CGF standard?

cimsm
09-19-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm going to apply for my CCW permit in Humboldt County in the next couple weeks and I read on the CalGuns page (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/100-humboldt) that this is the official thread for Humboldt CCW.

Does anyone know what the range qualification is in Humboldt? In Knight's excellent thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=70679), he said it was 40 out of 50 shots in the scored zone at 45 feet. When I registered for a course the other day, the employee said it was 45 out of 50 shots at 35 feet, but he's not the instructor so I'm not sure he knows all the info.

I just want to know the requirements so I can get plenty of practice, especially with my tiny Kel-tec P-3AT.

thomashoward
11-18-2011, 8:21 AM
I'm going to apply for my CCW permit in Humboldt County in the next couple weeks and I read on the CalGuns page (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/100-humboldt) that this is the official thread for Humboldt CCW.

Does anyone know what the range qualification is in Humboldt? In Knight's excellent thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=70679), he said it was 40 out of 50 shots in the scored zone at 45 feet. When I registered for a course the other day, the employee said it was 45 out of 50 shots at 35 feet, but he's not the instructor so I'm not sure he knows all the info.

I just want to know the requirements so I can get plenty of practice, especially with my tiny Kel-tec P-3AT.
12 yards only 3 allowed outside.

Sakiri
08-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Has no one noted what constitutes a "good cause" statement for Humboldt?

I'm trying to convince myself to apply but simple "self defense" statements almost never work it appears. :/

There's no new information and the county map linked to has almost no information for this particular county.

chris10
09-03-2012, 12:15 AM
This county is fairly, imo, ltc friendly. Spend a little time on a good cause statement and you should be fine. I filled up the page, but not sure if that was necessary or even helped.

Knomad
09-03-2012, 9:52 PM
This county is fairly, imo, ltc friendly. Spend a little time on a good cause statement and you should be fine. I filled up the page, but not sure if that was necessary or even helped.

Agreed. Think it through, but no need to be elaborate. It's not always fast depending on when the application goes in, but they are fair.

chezum
10-16-2012, 4:04 PM

40 out of 50 was correct but now it is 80 out of 100! The distance depends on your barrel length. Over 4 inches is 45 feet, 4 inch is 35 ft.

MustangSteveGT
06-24-2014, 7:49 PM
I have successfully acquired my CCW in Humboldt County here.
-Took my range qualification from Daryl @ Pacific Outfitters Jan 2014.
-Procrastinated until mid April 2014 and delivered my range qualification certificate I got from Daryl's course along with completed CCW packet I printed from Hum Co Sheriffs website to Humboldt County Sheriffs office at the Humboldt County Court House.
-About a week later received message from Hum Co Sheriff Dept to schedule CCW interview appointment with them. Called them back a week later and performed CCW interview/fingerprint appointment in late, late April 2014.
-20 June 2014 received approval letter that investigation was good to go and to pick up license from Hum Co Sheriffs office.
-24 June 2014 walked into Hum Co Sheriff Dept during lunch and picked up license.

So if I did not procrastinate throughout the process on my part, the Sheriff's/DOJ's portion of the process was slightly less than 2 months for me.

Paladin
06-27-2014, 3:38 PM
-20 June 2014 received approval letter that investigation was good to go and to pick up license from Hum Co Sheriffs office.
-24 June 2014 walked into Hum Co Sheriff Dept during lunch and picked up license.

So if I did not procrastinate throughout the process on my part, the Sheriff's/DOJ's portion of the process was slightly less than 2 months for me.
Congrats!
:party:

Knight
11-12-2014, 12:53 PM
In Knight's excellent thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=70679), he said it was 40 out of 50 shots in the scored zone at 45 feet.

Hey, I know that guy! :D

I have renewed my CCW a few times since that topic was posted back in '07, and I've changed my good cause statement since as well. For what it's worth, I most recently used the "Backpacking outdoors in remote areas and carry for self-defense against humans/animals" statement and it was approved for renewal.

lostcoastpaddler
01-30-2015, 10:00 AM
I started the process for my CCW in Humboldt County at the end of September 2014 and just picked up my permit yesterday January 29th. I could have moved it along a little faster but I waited a bit while I purchased a second handgun to add to the card. Just happy to live in a county that supports my 2nd amendment rights!

Paladin
02-05-2015, 10:36 PM
-Took my range qualification from Daryl @ Pacific Outfitters Jan 2014.
-Procrastinated until mid April 2014 and delivered my range qualification certificate I got from Daryl's course along with completed CCW packet I printed from Hum Co Sheriffs website to Humboldt County Sheriffs office at the Humboldt County Court House.
-About a week later received message from Hum Co Sheriff Dept to schedule CCW interview appointment with them. Called them back a week later and performed CCW interview/fingerprint appointment in late, late April 2014.

Forgot to ask earlier: can you paraphrase what was your GC statement?

I started the process for my CCW in Humboldt County at the end of September 2014 and just picked up my permit yesterday January 29th. I could have moved it along a little faster but I waited a bit while I purchased a second handgun to add to the card. Just happy to live in a county that supports my 2nd amendment rights!(emphasis added)

Same Q for you: Did the sheriff require more than "self-defense" as a GC statement? If so, don't be so happy to live in Humboldt Co: Sacto, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Fresno, Ventura, and Orange counties' sheriffs ALL accept mere SD as GC for issuing a CCW....

I was looking at the sheriff's CCW webpage (http://www.humboldtgov.org/342/Concealed-Weapons-Permit), and it looks like he does NOT accept mere SD as sufficient GC (see quote below):

Important Instructions

DO NOT SIGN OR DATE THE APPLICATION. Complete and read pages 1 through 5. Use additional pages if more space is required.
DO NOT SIGN OR DATE THE APPLICATION. Read pages 6, 7, and 8.
Complete pages 9 & 10 titled "Investigator's Interview Notes."
*Page 10 - Details of reason for applicant desiring a CCW License
Read pages 11 through 13.

* If the CCW license is desired for self-protection, the protection of others, or for the protection of large sums of money or valuable property, you are required to explain and provide good cause for issuance of the license. For example, has your life or property been threatened or jeopardized? Explain incidents and include dates, times, locations, and names of police agencies to which these incidents were reported.

The Sheriff requires at least one paragraph detailing your desire for a concealed weapon license. This requirement is for New Applicants and Renewal Applicants. (emphasis added) :rolleyes:

lostcoastpaddler
02-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Basically they want your "self defense" statement in a short paragraph form. My permit says "reason for permit: personal" My statement in a nut shell was that I spend my free time doing outdoor activities and I would like to legally carry for self defense if a situation were to arise.

Paladin
02-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Basically they want your "self defense" statement in a short paragraph form. My permit says "reason for permit: personal" My statement in a nut shell was that I spend my free time doing outdoor activities and I would like to legally carry for self defense if a situation were to arise.
Thx. That's like Solano and some other counties where the sheriffs are too timid to accept "mere" self-defense as sufficient GC. Oh well, at least they are readily issuing, unlike most major urban sheriffs.

Sohum63
09-29-2015, 1:08 AM
I have had my permit through Humboldt county for coming up on 6 years. After taking a bit longer than expected I renewed earlier than needed this year but turns out that was not necessary. I submitted my completed application and all other necessary papers on August 27th and got the letter with the approval to come pick up the permit on September 15th. I have been going to the indoor range in Eureka called Old West Shootery, I am over an hour away but I enjoy checking in with Kevin, the owner I believe, and usualy make a point to stop in when in town to say hi and sometimes run a few rounds. New qualifications are, I believe, 50 rounds and renewals are 20 or 25. I think under 4" is from 35' and 4"+ at 45'. The range also hosts the Ccw classes as well as A few other places in town I believe.
My good cause was originally an elaborate form of living in a rural area with limited cell coverage and access to law enforcement. Each renewal I get shorter and shorter with the same basic primice. I know a few others that have been approved and for the most part I think self defense and maybe something spicific to your case is good to go. It has been a few years sense I did the original "interview" and assuming it hasn't changed much it was compleatly painless, aside from having to be interviewed to exercise a right. I got the feeling he was feeling me out on my familiarity with guns and once he was comfortable with that the process of going over my application was more of a chit chat I felt. On my last renewal I added the first gun that had been bought through single shot exemption and also had some minor mods and a laser, none of them were even mentiond as being an issue, the gun check is mostly to confirm serial number I believe.
If you are hesitant to apply because of the process but are reasonably capable with a gun and don't have any major flaws on your record or anything else to disqualify you go ahead and do it, be honest on the application and relax and be upfront at the interview and more than likley you will wonder what you were so worried about, I know I did.

Twistedsteel
10-05-2015, 11:03 AM
^This was basically my experience also. I was a little worried when I filled out the app. because I was asked to list any run ins with the law (can't remember how it was actually worded). I did have one when I was 18, which I listed in detail however it didn't pose a problem and I was approved. I believe I was 34 when I initially applied, used AJ Maveety as instructor. He also does other training classes, and is/was a cerified Utah ccw instructor for those who do a lot of traveling.

Knomad
12-06-2015, 3:50 PM
The renewal process seems to be running pretty efficiently in Humboldt at the present time, mine recently took only eight days from dropping off the paperwork (same day as completing the renewal course and quals) to receiving the approval letter in the mail, which says to come in and pick up the new permit. Not bad at all.

The qualification details vary some among the local instructors, about the only constant is the requirement of 50 rounds for first applications and 25 for renewals. Old West is pretty much freestyle firing all the rounds at a static distance as described a couple of posts above. I haven't seen A.J.'s routine in a few years but at that time it was a bit more involved with multiple distances and some strong hand/weak hand elements. Mike Lee perhaps has the most rigorous local quals at present and is one of the few working from the holster, my personal belief is that more training is better so I've gravitated to him for renewals these last couple of times (in addition to various out of town opportunities well above and beyond what is required).

About the only thing that would make me happier would be a permit that actually fits in my wallet and isn't rice paper... I'll even (grudgingly) live with the three gun limit since it has probably saved me a bunch of money over the years :)