PDA

View Full Version : San Mateo -- APPLY to Get a Spot in Line

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gray Peterson
10-14-2010, 11:10 PM
UPDATE (2104 April 19):

It appears SMSO will accept & hold CCW apps w/mere "self-defense" as Good Cause pending finalization of Peruta. See posts 438, 441, 458, and 480.

Best to get an app in ASAP to get in line before the SO gets flooded w/thousands of applicants after the finalization.

Of course, if you have "heightened" good cause (i.e., you have reasons backed by evidence as to why you would be more likely than the average person to be attacked), you should note that and you MAY get issued a CCW regardless of the outcome in Peruta. Be sure to ask them to hold your app pending the finalization of Peruta if you won't qualify even with your elevated good cause.

End of Update.

Anyone who gets denied in San Mateo Co and wants to fight it should read the following quote from my ("Paladin") post in the Monterey Co thread. (There they accept SD as GC, but push the GMC requirement.) The 14th Amendment Equal Protection applies to ALL aspects of the application process, not just GC and GMC.

So, they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification.... :facepalm: :mad:

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

SM Co has a weird (i.e., illegal) policy of requiring all incorporated cities to accept apps, run the background checks and make a determination re. issuance, and then forward the app file to the sheriff who makes the ultimate decision on whether to issue the CCW or not. You can read about it on the SMPD's website at: http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/index.aspx?NID=665

Application process:
San Mateo County has developed a uniform application form for use throughout the various policing jurisdictions within the county. This application must be completed and submitted, along with the fee for service. The application must include a written explanation regarding the need to carry a concealed weapon.

The application will be reviewed during a personal interview with Support Services' staff at the time of submittal. Following the interview, an appointment for fingerprint submission will be obtained. An additional fee will be collected by the technician to pay for the processing of the print cards by the State of California, as part of the background investigation. This may take 6 to 8 weeks to process.

Upon determination that the issuance of a CCW permit is in order, the Chief of Police will forward a recommendation to issue the permit to the San Mateo Sheriff's Office, along with copies of the application and background investigation. The Sheriff's Office will continue the processing of the permit for issuance, and impose any clearly stated (if any) restrictions and/or condition the Chief has determined regarding the carrying of a concealed weapon. Reasonable limitations and restrictions imposed on an individual's CCW permit affect the time, place, and other restrictions under which the permittee may carry a concealed weapon.

taperxz
10-20-2010, 2:52 PM
No info at all?????

Gray Peterson
10-20-2010, 3:01 PM
No info at all?????

We're still working on it. Have patience.

:gene:

taperxz
10-20-2010, 4:16 PM
We're still working on it. Have patience.

You guys are doing great. It does not surprise me the local sheriff is dragging his feet.

Gray Peterson
10-20-2010, 4:18 PM
You guys are doing great. It does not surprise me the local sheriff is dragging his feet.

I would say that the person who I'm dealing with is not dragging feet. Wish I can say more, but it's being worked on. Stand by, everyone.

dantodd
11-05-2010, 4:16 PM
The anticipation is killing me. :D

hoffmang
11-05-2010, 9:07 PM
:whistling: :gene:

-Gene

Python2
11-12-2010, 11:43 AM
:whistling: :gene:

-Gene

Just say the word when I should be moving back to SM:D

CalBear
11-13-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm eagerly awaiting some info on this. I shall become a San Mateo sponsor soon.

norcalblacktail
11-19-2010, 7:03 PM
Thanks for working on this.

SouthScoRyda14
11-26-2010, 10:31 PM
any word on getting a ccw in san mateo county? i've had a ccw from out of state for 5 years now, anyone know if that will help me at all

hoffmang
11-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Stay close for more news in...

:twoweeks:

But seriously, soon.

-Gene

Paladin
11-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Stay close for more news in...

:twoweeks:

But seriously, soon.

-Gene
Still nothing that I could find on their website re CCWs (http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/portal/site/sheriffs/). Went thru it and, IMO, the most likely place they would post it is under the Records Bureau.

SpacemanSpiff
11-30-2010, 11:44 PM
subscribing

wildhawker
12-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Still nothing that I could find on their website re CCWs (http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/portal/site/sheriffs/). Went thru it and, IMO, the most likely place they would post it is under the Records Bureau.

I'm not sure they will be the ones posting info...

Paladin
12-01-2010, 7:17 AM
I'm not sure they will be the ones posting info..."They," meaning the Records Bureau, or "they" meaning the San Mateo Sheriff's Office, or both?

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my post.

I went thru the Sheriff's Office's website, and could not find anything re. CCWs. From reviewing what the SO had on their different webpages, it seemed to me the most likely place to find info re CCWs in the future will be on the Records Bureau page. But that was just speculation.

Python2
12-01-2010, 11:56 AM
"They," meaning the Records Bureau, or "they" meaning the San Mateo Sheriff's Office, or both?

I went thru the Sheriff's Office's website, and could not find anything re. CCWs. From reviewing what the SO had on their different webpages, it seemed to me the most likely place to find info re CCWs in the future will be on the Records Bureau page. But that was just speculation.

"Professional Standards Bureau" is the department that handles CCW at the Sheriffs office. By my experience some 4-5 years ago. Not sure now.

wildhawker
12-01-2010, 12:15 PM
What I'm saying is that the information Gene is talking about will almost assuredly NOT show up on their website. You will, however, see it on ours.

-Brandon

"They," meaning the Records Bureau, or "they" meaning the San Mateo Sheriff's Office, or both?

taperxz
12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
What I'm saying is that the information Gene is talking about will almost assuredly NOT show up on their website. You will, however, see it on ours.

-Brandon

In about two weeks??? :D

wildhawker
12-01-2010, 2:39 PM
In about two weeks??? :D

Something like that. ;)

Paladin
12-01-2010, 3:27 PM
"Professional Standards Bureau" is the department that handles CCW at the Sheriffs office. By my experience some 4-5 years ago. Not sure now.They probably still do.

If you look at:
http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/portal/site/sheriffs/menuitem.cec6c78cb70d4c4374452b31d17332a0/?vgnextoid=f821dd7c41211210VgnVCM1000001d37230aRCR D&vgnextfmt=DivisionsLanding

you'll see that they list the Bureau of Professional Standards under the Support Services Division and that, almost at the end of the first paragraph of text, they mention: "evaluation and certification of citizens requesting special permits". I guess that includes CCWs.

The below is the contact info they have listed:

Bureau of Professional Standards
Telephone: (650) 363-4395

Citizen Complaints / Commendations, please call: (650) 363-4844 or (650) 363-4692.

Paladin
12-01-2010, 3:35 PM

-BrandonI guess CGF's Sunshine Initiative won't force SOs to make available (or even mention) CCWs upon their website.

BJ/TBJ seems to have abandoned their efforts too (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=334866).

So even if Gray forces SOs to obey statutory law and CGF forces them to accept SD as GC, Joe/Josephine Average visiting SOs' websites will be kept in the dark re. CCWs. Pity.

wildhawker
12-01-2010, 3:43 PM
While we'd prefer they do, it's not required under the relevant PC statutes.

Note that Gray's extraordinary efforts are an intrinsic component of our Initiative, and he is recognized as an Initiative Coordinator also.

After we make the county "shall issue" and "according to law", some PR will likely be useful. However, the primary focus of the Initiative is to "get there", as it were.

I guess CGF's Sunshine Initiative won't force SOs to make available (or even mention) CCWs upon their website.

BJ/TBJ seems to have abandoned their efforts too (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=334866).

So even if Gray forces SOs to obey statutory law and CGF forces them to accept SD as GC, Joe/Josephine Average visiting SOs' websites will be kept in the dark re. CCWs. Pity.

Paladin
12-01-2010, 3:58 PM
While we'd prefer they do, it's not required under the relevant PC statutes.

Note that Gray's extraordinary efforts are an intrinsic component of our Initiative, and he is recognized as an Initiative Coordinator also.

After we make the county "shall issue" and "according to law", some PR will likely be useful. However, the primary focus of the Initiative is to "get there", as it were."Virtual Shall Issue" is and should be our top priority. Knocking off the illegal requirements/restrictions is and should be our 2nd priority (making getting those SD GC CCWs easier and quicker to get). Getting the word out should be our 3rd priority.

My CCW Public Service Announcement (PSA) idea, getting one of the Right People on AM Talk Radio shows, interviews/editorials w/local media, and local news reports when a major urban county goes vSI should all help w/getting the word out. The NRA (via email alerts and announcements on their websites) and its members, along w/CGNers, will all help.

Eventually, after a few years of vSI w/o incident, sheriffs will relent and post info on their website.

Thanks for all your & Gray's efforts!

Gray Peterson
12-01-2010, 4:40 PM
"Virtual Shall Issue" is and should be our top priority. Knocking off the illegal requirements/restrictions is and should be our 2nd priority (making getting those SD GC CCWs easier and quicker to get). Getting the word out should be our 3rd priority.

My CCW Public Service Announcement (PSA) idea, getting one of the Right People on AM Talk Radio shows, interviews/editorials w/local media, and local news reports when a major urban county goes vSI should all help w/getting the word out. The NRA (via email alerts and announcements on their websites) and its members, along w/CGNers, will all help.

Eventually, after a few years of vSI w/o incident, sheriffs will relent and post info on their website.

Thanks for all your & Gray's efforts!

When the time is right, and there is appropriate precaution, we will let people know. I want it to where if someone types in "San Mateo CCW" this forum or the San Mateo carry initiative page comes up on top.

Should I post GnR's Patience again?

LazyBoy
12-01-2010, 7:28 PM
I will be applying when you say the time is right. Also I will be donating to the cause next pay period.

wildhawker
12-01-2010, 7:30 PM
Should I post GnR's Patience again?

Yes, because GnR is full of win.

thedrickel
12-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Are we there yet?

Python2
12-04-2010, 1:36 PM
Are we there yet?

Would'nt you know that yourself? :D

dantodd
12-04-2010, 1:39 PM
Are we there yet?

Guess that answers my question. Why didn't you answer my email? PM inbound

Gray Peterson
12-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Are we there yet?

raNM0UvR_Bo

taperxz
12-14-2010, 4:41 PM
Mhyaw5WKNTs

edwardm
12-14-2010, 5:53 PM
I managed to get a look at the PowerPoint the SMCSO uses for CCW classes.

Talk about loaded with non-law, FUD and half-truths. This county is going to be a doozy, I'll wager.

Gray Peterson
12-14-2010, 6:36 PM

Talk about loaded with non-law, FUD and half-truths. This county is going to be a doozy, I'll wager.

Was this at the Coyote Point Range?

hoffmang
12-15-2010, 12:09 AM

*cough* I've seen the actual powerpoint used and found it mildly useful and not very FUD. Please email me as I'd love to compare notes to see if yours was "old" or if I missed something when I "reviewed" it.

Let me say this for those who are waiting; anyone who has any sort of good cause beyond simply self defense should feel free to apply and should expect to be successful.

-Gene

taperxz
12-15-2010, 7:19 AM
*cough* I've seen the actual powerpoint used and found it mildly useful and not very FUD. Please email me as I'd love to compare notes to see if yours was "old" or if I missed something when I "reviewed" it.

Let me say this for those who are waiting; anyone who has any sort of good cause beyond simply self defense should feel free to apply and should expect to be successful.

-Gene

After reading through the guidelines i still see stuff like,"gotta go to the local chief first, ect. ect. I think i'll wait till i see some movement. I don't think i have a "good cause" a have a "great need" as to why i need a ccw. My apprehension comes from not knowing if the Sheriff thinks the same way i do!

For the record, my clock was for fun! I will wait till you guys give the actual green light on this. If not i will go to my other residence and get one which is pretty close to shall issue. I don't mind waiting.

Gray Peterson
12-15-2010, 9:19 AM
After reading through the guidelines i still see stuff like,"gotta go to the local chief first, ect. ect. I think i'll wait till i see some movement. I don't think i have a "good cause" a have a "great need" as to why i need a ccw. My apprehension comes from not knowing if the Sheriff thinks the same way i do!

Ignore that. The sheriff eliminated the "you have to go first to the city pd" stuff months ago.

Python2
12-15-2010, 10:41 AM

-Gene

Can you elaborate Gene, I am a State Registered Professional in private practice and was denied because I was told (unfortunately not in writing) bad areas (ie:Richmond, Oakland, SF Western Addition) that I sometimes perform my profession is outside San Mateo's jurisdiction. I was shocked of their ignorance of the PC.

thedrickel
12-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Can you elaborate Gene, I am a State Registered Professional in private practice and was denied because I was told (unfortunately not in writing) bad areas (ie:Richmond, Oakland, SF Western Addition) that I sometimes perform my profession is outside San Mateo's jurisdiction. I was shocked of their ignorance of the PC.

Their ignorance has been cured by a dose of Gray Peterson.

ssbn
12-15-2010, 1:18 PM
Is the million dollar insurance policy requirement from the penal code or fiat deceleration of the Sheriff?:shrug:

Gray Peterson
12-15-2010, 1:34 PM
Is the million dollar insurance policy requirement from the penal code or fiat deceleration of the Sheriff?:shrug:

That is also gone as well. We will be updating the San Mateo information packet at a later time, once everything is narrowed down.

Gray Peterson
12-15-2010, 1:37 PM

When did you apply?

Python2
12-15-2010, 2:00 PM
When did you apply?

Oh about three to four years ago under the previous sheriff. They may have change their thinking now, I dont know. I decided it was easier for me to switch residence than attempt suing them. I am more interested in CCW more than anything else. I now feel safe since then. :)

Gray Peterson
12-15-2010, 2:25 PM
Oh about three to four years ago under the previous sheriff. They may have change their thinking now, I dont know.

I wasn't around 4 years ago. :)

Python2
12-15-2010, 4:51 PM

I know and I really appreciate what you and the rest are doing.

hoffmang
12-15-2010, 9:15 PM
I know and I really appreciate what you and the rest are doing.

So if you have good cause above simple self defense then you should apply again...

-Gene

Python2
12-16-2010, 5:50 AM
So if you have good cause above simple self defense then you should apply again...

-Gene

Thanks, I will when I decide to re-switch my primary residence. I am just waiting for the results of the two I know who applied.:) besides I am currently a happy camper.

Backcountry
12-20-2010, 3:20 PM

-Gene

What would be good cause besides "simple self defense" in San Mateo County? I don't have a stalker, I haven't been assaulted, etc... does a person need proof that they have been victimized before they can apply for a CCW in San mateo County?

Gray Peterson
12-20-2010, 3:40 PM
What would be good cause besides "simple self defense" in San Mateo County? I don't have a stalker, I haven't been assaulted, etc... does a person need proof that they have been victimized before they can apply for a CCW in San mateo County?

No.

nagorb
12-20-2010, 4:40 PM
No.

So "simple self defense" will work?

Gray Peterson
12-20-2010, 4:56 PM
So "simple self defense" will work?

Why is it that people assume that when I say "no" to a question like "I don't have a stalker, I haven't been assaulted, etc... does a person need proof that they have been victimized before they can apply for a CCW in San mateo County?", the assumption is "So simple self defense will work"? The answer to this is no.

The correct answer is what Gene stated:

-Gene

Interpret this as the following:

"Will Issue for Reasonable Good Cause; known to issue to average persons".

nagorb
12-20-2010, 5:06 PM
Why is it that people assume that when I say "no" to a question like "I don't have a stalker, I haven't been assaulted, etc... does a person need proof that they have been victimized before they can apply for a CCW in San mateo County?", the assumption is "So simple self defense will work"? The answer to this is no.

The correct answer is what Gene stated:

Interpret this as the following:

"Will Issue for Reasonable Good Cause; known to issue to average persons".

First off calm down. Secondly I didn't assume anything, I believe it is you who ASSumed I thought something. You only answered half his question which is why I wanted CLARIFICATION.

taperxz
12-20-2010, 5:23 PM
The way i have read into this is that the Sheriff wants you to perhaps explain in a little more detail why you want a CCW. I carry large amounts of cash, i am in situations because of work that puts me at risk, i work nights alone in rural areas, ect. They don't want to see the only words of " to protect myself or just self defense. Those words are really obvious to the sheriff.

Gray Peterson
12-20-2010, 5:23 PM
First off calm down. Secondly I didn't assume anything, I believe it is you who ASSumed I thought something. You only answered half his question which is why I wanted CLARIFICATION.

The fog of war sometimes elicits friendly fire. My apologies.

The basic answer is that you must articulate your good cause, but it does not require specific threats, stalking, or being a crime victim first.

taperxz
12-20-2010, 5:26 PM

I suggest reading some of the other counties "good cause" statements that elaborate on specific reasons to carry. It might help if you find one that suits your needs. At least for San Mateo county at this time.

Open for correction by the top brass here if i am mistaken!

Gray Peterson
12-20-2010, 5:27 PM
The way i have read into this is that the Sheriff wants you to perhaps explain in a little more detail why you want a CCW. I carry large amounts of cash, i am in situations because of work that puts me at risk, i work nights alone in rural areas, ect. They don't want to see the only words of " to protect myself or just self defense. Those words are really obvious to the sheriff.

It's a little better than that but he's correct: "I wish to acquire a license to carry a handgun for the purpose of self defense" will not fly with Sheriff Munks at this time.

Gray Peterson
12-20-2010, 5:33 PM
I suggest reading some of the other counties "good cause" statements that elaborate on specific reasons to carry. It might help if you find one that suits your needs. At least for San Mateo county at this time.

Open for correction by the top brass here if i am mistaken!

Nope, you pretty much have it spot on...

thedrickel
12-21-2010, 10:32 AM
"I take long walks at night." ?

Python2
12-23-2010, 8:01 AM
"I take long walks at night." ?

Would be interesting to see if that works:)

taperxz
12-23-2010, 8:33 AM
Ehhh... I ran into a little snag with SMSD. Waiting for the higher ups to see what is going on. I will keep ya posted.

Paladin
12-28-2010, 11:26 PM
I was wondering if the CalCCW map had been updated, and saw that it had. Sacto is now dark green and San Joaquin is light green. Merced is still yellow, which may be out of date. San Benito being dark green is a surprise. But the real surprise IMO is in the Bay Area . . . .

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/clownburner/OCCCWS/ca_ccw_map-big.png

thedrickel
12-28-2010, 11:30 PM
So how many people do we know of with reasonable good cause that have permits in hand? Any update on the good cause statements? I'm eager to get my application rolling since I have pretty decent good cause available :)

hoffmang
12-29-2010, 1:08 AM
So how many people do we know of with reasonable good cause that have permits in hand? Any update on the good cause statements? I'm eager to get my application rolling since I have pretty decent good cause available :)

I think we need one more decision from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals before we rock you're "good cause." :43:

-Gene

taperxz
12-29-2010, 8:45 AM
Right now I don't think San Mateo all that promising
They told me I needed to have a clear and present danger to apply

Guess I will be moving to a friendly county

Gray Peterson
12-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Right now I don't think San Mateo all that promising
They told me I needed to have a clear and present danger yo apply

Guess I will be moving to a friendly county

Don't cut and run yet. A) That's a lie and B) The 9th Circuit ruling Gene's speaking of is Nordyke.

-Gray

LazyBoy
01-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Is it almost time to start applying for my CCW?

nagorb
01-15-2011, 11:02 PM
The fog of war sometimes elicits friendly fire. My apologies.

The basic answer is that you must articulate your good cause, but it does not require specific threats, stalking, or being a crime victim first.

I guess i missed this post. No worries, it happens:) Anyway I can't be upset at someone who works so hard for my rights!

Sureshot357
02-01-2011, 7:36 AM
When will intel be provided for San Mateo? The map shows a lime green however we all know it's still Red. The Sheriff's office told me I needed an imminent threat for a ccw.

Paladin
02-01-2011, 7:49 AM
When will intel be provided for San Mateo? The map shows a lime green however we all know it's still Red. The Sheriff's office told me I needed an imminent threat for a ccw.When did the SMSO tell you that?

Acc to post #69 over at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=210945&page=2

Gene says SM really is light/lime green.

nagorb
02-01-2011, 9:11 AM
I would love to apply, but I doubt they would issue me one due to my past.

Gray Peterson
02-01-2011, 9:36 AM
When will intel be provided for San Mateo? The map shows a lime green however we all know it's still Red. The Sheriff's office told me I needed an imminent threat for a ccw.

They're lying. We have two initial applicants who got licenses that didn't need an immediate threat. Please hold off on applying for now. Holding pattern for Nordyke.

Sureshot357
02-01-2011, 9:42 AM
They're lying. We have two initial applicants who got licenses that didn't need an immediate threat. Please hold off on applying for now. Holding pattern for Nordyke.

OK, I don't understand the "lie" part. Isn't their policy, their policy?

When does Nordyke get done and I thought that was a gun show thing.
Excuse my ignorance.

dantodd
02-01-2011, 10:02 AM

Their policy is their policy. What you were told (that an imminent threat is required to meet GC standard) is NOT the SMSO's policy. As Gray said, CGF has put 2 applicants through successfully with no imminent threat.

Excuse my ignorance.

Nordyke is expected any time now. As an appeals case the lower courts will be bound by its result. If we get strict scrutiny for law abiding people through Nordyke then the carry cases are extremely strong. It also sets up sheriff's for future liability if they deny applicants in the interim if we get strict scrutiny, or the like.

Sureshot357
02-01-2011, 10:16 AM
OK, I was a little confused with the message. The map shows lime, a previous poster reported the same thing that I experienced, calguns has two people that got one but the SO is now not telling the truth.

I noticed that some counties have good cause statements available. What good cause did the cal gunners use?

Thanks for your help. SS357

Gray Peterson
02-01-2011, 10:25 AM

No, it isn't. They are not in compliance with Guillory v. Gates, and they're using Peruta to guard themselves.

Excuse my ignorance.

Well, if you're willing to listen for a few hours to something and read a few opinions, let's get educated.

Nordyke I Oral Argument (http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/view_subpage.php?pk_id=0000002641). Occured 1/15/2009

Nordyke I decision (http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2009/04/20/0715763.pdf) Occured 04/20/2009. Used intermediate scrutiny and declared 2A's application to state and local government, but said Alameda's ban on gun shows did not violate 2A, used weak intermediate scrutiny test.

Nordyke went en banc in July 2009.

Nordyke en banc ruling (http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2009/07/29/0715763ebo.pdf)

Then another oral argument happened en banc on September 24th, 2009:

Nordyke II (en banc) oral argument (http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/view_subpage.php?pk_id=0000003933)

Post-McDonald, the Nordyke en banc panel released Nordyke en banc order remanding back to 3 judge panel (http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2010/07/12/07-15763.pdf)

Then, Nordyke 3 judge panel reheard oral arguments again (Nordyke III): Nordyke III oral arguments (http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/view_subpage.php?pk_id=0000006368)

Legend for scrutiny:

Rational Basis=bad for us
Intermediate Scrutiny=better for us, but not best.
Strict Scrutiny=Best for us.

See also a sister case in the 4th Circuit (East Coast)

United States v. Chester (http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/094084.P.pdf)

Important:

Although Chester asserts his right to possess a firearm in
his home for the purpose of self-defense, we believe his claim
is not within the core right identified in Heller—the right of
a law-abiding, responsible citizen to possess and carry a
weapon for self-defense—by virtue of Chester’s criminal history as a domestic violence misdemeanant. Heller, 128 S. Ct.
at 2821. Accordingly, we conclude that intermediate scrutiny
is more appropriate than strict scrutiny for Chester and similarly
situated persons.

This was cited to the Nordyke 3 judge panel in what's called a supplemental authorities letter, aka a 28(j) letter. A sister circuit is considered pursuasive authority.

If we get language that says "strict scrutiny" for law abiding citizens in Nordyke, it'll overturn the Peruta district court decision (http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.casd.308678/gov.uscourts.casd.308678.64.0.pdf) (it used weak intermediate and declared no right existed outside of home).

Nordyke isn't purely a "gun show" case. It was the Nordyke I decision which caused the safe handgun roster challenge (Pea v. Cid) and the carry challenge (Sykes and now Richards) to go forward, despite the fact that gun show lost.

taperxz
02-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Great questions and even better answers!! It never dawned on me that I called after the Peruta decision. For what ever reason I never paired the CGF initiative with the court rulings. I just thought that Munks was doing this because of the letter of the law you were making him aware of and the use of McDonald and Heller. Learn something new every day.

Paladin
02-01-2011, 4:44 PM
Please hold off on applying for now. Holding pattern for Nordyke.Thanks, Gray.

Since I'm not a Right Person (well, maybe half-Right ;)), I've been chewing at the bit waiting for new releases of GC statements and increases in the number of "**TIME TO APPLY**" counties. After being frustrated for awhile I assumed everyone was waiting for Godot, er, Nordyke. If that goes our way (strict scrutiny), it should give legal -- and thereby political -- cover to sheriffs who are our allies to come out of the closest, so to speak, and strike terror in the hearts of those who hate our 2nd A RKBA. (Feel free to use your best Arnold accent to insert here Conan's answer to "What's best in life?" Oops! With the flare up re. Rush Limbaugh and CA Sen. Leland Yee, maybe we can't do that anymore? Or maybe it is only European accents that can still be made fun of? :rolleyes:)

Anyway, IIRC, odds are that Nordyke will be released before April. Time for a sandwich and a two-month nap. . . .

Window_Seat
02-01-2011, 6:01 PM
Very good explanation from Gray.

And so would I be correct in saying that strict scrutiny must be given when a core fundamental right is severely burdened?

When I was listening to Nordyke III, I listen (at 25:51 into the recording) to one of the Judges asking the opposing counsel why Strict Scrutiny shouldn't be given in this case, and she argued:

Judge: "McDonald tells us not only is the Heller right preserved it applies to the states, but it really emphasized the fact that the Second Amendment is a substantial, fundamental right, suggesting as we've seen in some of these other post McDonald cases, strict scrutiny perhaps ought to be applied, why shouldn't we apply strict scrutiny to this ordinance?"

Opposing Counsel:
"The fundamental rights cases do not pronounce a rule that we use strict scrutiny in the context of all fundamental rights, even when strict scrutiny is used, there are lots of variations on the forms..."

Judge:
"Sure, there has to be a showing on some burden on the right, isn't that correct?"

Opposing Counsel:
"There has to be a showing of a direct burden on the right, and as I tried to point out, here, we have at most an indirect burden on the right to purchase a gun, it makes it less convenient... We... We.. We only... wah... We have a situation in which strict scrutiny is not compatible with the court pointing out that there are several presumptively valid categories of regulation that survives Second Amendment."

I'm not sure how she could prevent the court from applying SS with that kind of argument. It seems like she is helping our side with that argument by saying that we have at most, an indirect burden on the right to purchase. Isn't it a direct burden when we are forced to look at a photo of a firearm we want to purchase because the real thing is banned, and we can't actually pick up the item and safely handle it to feel the weight, the general handling of it, among other things, there's a direct burden, and therefore SS ought to be applied? It seems like a no-brainer to me, but IANAL either...

And then she uses that term "presumptively" at the end of her answer when talking about the regulations that she believes survives the 2A.

I don't see how the court can do anything other than apply SS to the ordinance.

Erik.

wash
02-04-2011, 3:09 PM
What happened to Zed?

gimmejr
02-04-2011, 6:17 PM
What happened to Zed?

Zed is dead baby! :43:

JohnBoy
02-17-2011, 5:25 PM
Are we getting any closer to CCW's in San Mateo?

Kid Stanislaus
02-17-2011, 6:00 PM

Damn Gray, you're a real youngster!!:D

Kid Stanislaus
02-17-2011, 6:05 PM
It's a little better than that but he's correct: "I wish to acquire a license to carry a handgun for the purpose of self defense" will not fly with Sheriff Munks at this time.

And we all look forward to the day when that changes.;)

Kid Stanislaus
02-17-2011, 6:08 PM
I would love to apply, but I doubt they would issue me one due to my past.

What? Were you a gay stripper?:43:

nagorb
02-17-2011, 6:48 PM
What? Were you a gay stripper?:43:

You could say that:chris:

hoffmang
02-17-2011, 9:50 PM
Are we getting any closer to CCW's in San Mateo?

Yes. Especially if Nordyke is favorable which could be any day.

-Gene

dantodd
02-17-2011, 11:45 PM

-Gene

I keep hearing the Jeopardy theme music now when I think of the impending release of Nordyke. I wonder if we could get Watson to answer:

Alex: What was the result, and level of scrutiny utilized, in the Nordyke III case?

Watson: What is, Fairgrounds are not sensitive places and strict scrutiny.

Kid Stanislaus
02-17-2011, 11:45 PM

-Gene

Gene, I'm glad you said "any day" rather than that other phrase!!:D

Window_Seat
02-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Gene, I'm glad you said "any day" rather than that other phrase!!:D

Whatever it is, it shouldn't/won't be too weak. :p

Erik.

2Cute2Shoot
02-18-2011, 1:03 AM

-Gene

Yeeeaaah!! :) I am so glad to hear that!! I really did think that that was true, but so many people are like "i should have a ccw because it is my right" :rolleyes: etc., and they just choose to ignore that the bay area is totally liberal and that Sheriff Munks has to deal with that too! So yes, you do have to have a good cause, :mad: which is sad, and is against the 2nd amendment, but if you have one, then you can get one!

Ignore that. The sheriff eliminated the "you have to go first to the city pd" stuff months ago.

Wow! I ddnt know that! I don't know if that is good or bad because that is how i got mine (but i don't have it anymore because I moved away :()...because if you get 'ok'd by a department, they still cannot issue you your ccw directly, but have to just refer you back to the sheriff. But if you have that referral, it is soooo much easier :)

uh, that makes no sense at all. :confused: I think you should totally keep looking into that because it was way different for me. I was doing my cadet program completely in another area and that was not a problem at all!!

thedrickel
02-21-2011, 10:19 PM
lulz

taperxz
02-22-2011, 6:17 PM
Hail call Grey, when are you going to make the 9th rule on Nordyke?:90: I have not "cut and run yet" However i wouldn't mind trying my friend out up north.

edwardm
02-25-2011, 4:27 AM
I am confused.

Yesterday I was told, by someone who should probably know, that Sheriff Munks is accepting "self-defense" as sufficient GC. Or specifically, that the intentional CGF plants/volunteers that were run through SMCSO previously used "self-defense" as their GC. I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the person who told me this - they are in a position to know or have access to know. Furthermore, they are not one to play games or hand out B.S.

Was I misinformed by this person, or did the terms "CGF" and "good cause", bring about preferential/blind-eye treatment for those folks who went through the process in late 2010? The most recent Gene post I can find on the topic, from another forum, is that 'elevated GC' is still required. I suppose it is possible that the term "self-defense" was misinterpreted when I asked my question, but I can't be sure of that.

I just want to know who, if anyone, is blowing smoke, or if this is a case of crossed wires.

-Gene

hoffmang
02-25-2011, 10:32 AM
I am confused.

Yesterday I was told, by someone who should probably know, that Sheriff Munks is accepting "self-defense" as sufficient GC. Or specifically, that the intentional CGF plants/volunteers that were run through SMCSO previously used "self-defense" as their GC. I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the person who told me this - they are in a position to know or have access to know. Furthermore, they are not one to play games or hand out B.S.

Self defense as good cause has lead to two denials in San Mateo County. Any heightened cause above that has lead to multiple successful issuances. The denials were right after the loss in Peruta (thanks Ed.)

We await Nordyke and Richards at this time. If you have more information than above, I'd appreciate an email.

-Gene

thedrickel
03-24-2011, 7:26 PM
Thanks, Ed!

C'mooooooooooooooooon, Nordyke!

:twoweeks::gene:

. . . more like TWO DECADES! than TWO WEEKS! . . .

hoffmang
03-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks, Ed!

C'mooooooooooooooooon, Nordyke!

:twoweeks::gene:

. . . more like TWO DECADES! than TWO WEEKS! . . .

I have reason to believe we'll see Nordyke before Mid-May, worst case.

-Gene

trevilli
03-28-2011, 7:31 PM
I have reason to believe we'll see Nordyke before Mid-May, worst case.

What's your gut feeling on the "Will the 9th circuit get Nordyke right"? Have you looked at the makeup of the 9th? It's filled with appointees from President Carter. Leaving politics aside, we have to yet to find a judge in California who agrees with us on the carry issue. I realize you have no crystal ball (at least none that you'd admit to :D) but what do you expect?

hoffmang
03-28-2011, 8:28 PM
What's your gut feeling on the "Will the 9th circuit get Nordyke right"? Have you looked at the makeup of the 9th? It's filled with appointees from President Carter. Leaving politics aside, we have to yet to find a judge in California who agrees with us on the carry issue. I realize you have no crystal ball (at least none that you'd admit to :D) but what do you expect?

Nordyke isn't about carry but it is about scrutiny. The panel we have is unlikely to treat us poorly...

-Gene

hammer
03-28-2011, 10:34 PM
the more i've been reading about these rulings, starting with McDonald, to Heller, and now Nordyke. These are landmark cases!

People should look at these cases for its implications.

Look beyond your personal agenda. This is way beyond that. Along the way, personal agendas will be satisfied, but Wow! hats off to those who have spent their hard earned time on making this better for everybody.

NorCalAthlete
04-11-2011, 8:42 PM
Any updates?

Also, could anyone who's been involved in or has knowledge of the good cause statements that led to successful issues please PM me to discuss a few things (that should be in my favor) that I'd rather not put out on the public forum? Thanks.

Henry47
04-25-2011, 3:54 PM
so do I just go to the county sheriff's office, or do i need to visit my local police station first?

unusedusername
04-25-2011, 5:31 PM
As far as I know, San Mateo is currently in the "don't apply yet unless you have extra special good cause" stage.

CalBear
04-25-2011, 6:55 PM
As far as I know, San Mateo is currently in the "don't apply yet unless you have extra special good cause" stage.
Nordyke will probably dictate which way SM goes and probably some other counties as well. For right now, you'll need something above self defense for good cause -- like transporting large sums of money.

taperxz
04-25-2011, 7:07 PM
Nordyke will probably dictate which way SM goes and probably some other counties as well. For right now, you'll need something above self defense for good cause -- like transporting large sums of money.

As Brandon would say "Don't forget Richards"

hoffmang
04-25-2011, 9:25 PM
so do I just go to the county sheriff's office, or do i need to visit my local police station first?

You can go directly to the San Mateo County Sheriff. Ignore your local PD as they are incorrect about the law. SMSO has been educated on this point but it's a new item for them. If you have any issues, reach out and we will gently remind.

-Gene

nagorb
04-25-2011, 9:28 PM
You can go directly to the San Mateo County Sheriff. Ignore your local PD as they are incorrect about the law. SMSO has been educated on this point but it's a new item for them. If you have any issues, reach out and we will gently remind.

-Gene

:43:

CapS
04-26-2011, 2:59 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting some info on this. I shall become a San Mateo sponsor soon.

Do It!

(Please?)

:chris:

You'll get this 'way cool logo for your posts!

nagorb
05-02-2011, 7:30 PM

What bearing will the decision have? good, bad, or?

CalBear
05-02-2011, 7:34 PM
What bearing will the decision have? good, bad, or?
My guess is status quo in SM and similar counties for now.

nagorb
05-02-2011, 7:39 PM
My guess is status quo in SM and similar counties for now.

That sucks:mad:

trevilli
05-05-2011, 12:51 AM
That sucks:mad:
Yes it does. Between Jackie Speir and Jerry Hill, two politicians graded 'F' by the NRA, San Mateo county is a tough place to live, if you want to exercise your 2A right. I don't know about you folks, but this Nordyke decision has about sealed the deal for me. I need to get out of CA or at least the Bay Area. I don't think I can wait 2,3,4 more years for Nordyke to be settled once and for all. i don't ever see self defense being accepted as good cause here. There is nothing in Nordyke to make me think Sheriff Munks will change his issuance policy.

CalBear
05-05-2011, 8:54 AM
Yes it does. Between Jackie Speir and Jerry Hill, two politicians graded 'F' by the NRA, San Mateo county is a tough place to live, if you want to exercise your 2A right. I don't know about you folks, but this Nordyke decision has about sealed the deal for me. I need to get out of CA or at least the Bay Area. I don't think I can wait 2,3,4 more years for Nordyke to be settled once and for all. i don't ever see self defense being accepted as good cause here. There is nothing in Nordyke to make me think Sheriff Munks will change his issuance policy.
Life is not the easiest for gun owners in SM county, but it is still one of the better spots in the Bay Area. It's the most permissive when issuing CCWs at this point. The fact that they'll issue for most elevated good cause puts them WAY ahead of other Bay Area counties.

As for the future of self defense issue, the Nordyke case didn't really hurt our chances there. CCW bans are Constitutional so long as another method of functional self defense carry is available. I contend UOC is not a practical method of carry, because of the unloaded requirement and because of the school zone restrictions. The Peruta court disagreed with me. If, however, a UOC ban is signed into law, I think the case for a fair CCW system is more forceful.

edwardm
05-05-2011, 9:30 AM
Life is not the easiest for gun owners in SM county, but it is still one of the better spots in the Bay Area. It's the most permissive when issuing CCWs at this point. The fact that they'll issue for most elevated good cause puts them WAY ahead of other Bay Area counties.

As for the future of self defense issue, the Nordyke case didn't really hurt our chances there. CCW bans are Constitutional so long as another method of functional self defense carry is available. I contend UOC is not a practical method of carry, because of the unloaded requirement and because of the school zone restrictions. The Peruta court disagreed with me. If, however, a UOC ban is signed into law, I think the case for a fair CCW system is more forceful.

Yeah. I'll see just how "Elevated" the GC needs to be for San Mateo County. If things go according to plan, I'll be able to honestly and conclusively state a generally acceptable form of elevated good cause after May 21/22.

Personally, I expect it to flop spectacularly since I think even with 'elevated' good cause, the county is being very picky.

taperxz
05-05-2011, 9:39 AM
When I was in SM county, My elevated GC resulted in them telling me not to bother and there was no reason to send me an application.

taperxz
05-05-2011, 9:43 AM
For the record, I did not give them a good cause statement! The deputy just asked a few quick questions, I answered vaguely and never even gave him my full name or address. They don't really want to issue at this time IMHO

edwardm
05-05-2011, 9:49 AM
When I was in SM county, My elevated GC resulted in them telling me not to bother and there was no reason to send me an application.

When you applied, was Munks the Sheriff?

taperxz
05-05-2011, 9:50 AM
Within the last 6 months or less

taperxz
05-05-2011, 9:58 AM
They even told me to apply in Lake Co. I do have a special circumstance.

thedrickel
05-05-2011, 7:55 PM
I am very interested to find out if people with average GC (no imminent, documented threats, restraining orders, etc) are currently being approved in San Mateo County. IMHO, I doubt it. I still don't believe that anyone with average GC has been approved within the last 6 months, besides the two that I know about.

j-rod
05-25-2011, 10:43 PM
I may move to San Mateo county. How does the SM Sheriff approach multiple firearms on the permit? As many as you can list?

unusedusername
05-25-2011, 10:48 PM
As of now, San Mateo is not issuing permits without significant/unusual good cause. Just be aware....

j-rod
05-26-2011, 12:02 AM
I may move to San Mateo county. How does the SM Sheriff approach multiple firearms on the permit? As many as you can list?

"Only one weapon will be authorized..."
I see. Typical Bay Area fiat policy.

NorCalAthlete
05-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Can someone with current, relevant knowledge of good cause statements for San Mateo shoot me a PM? I do have some exceptional circumstances I think would be sufficient but would like to know for sure before I apply.

hoffmang
05-26-2011, 12:37 AM
"Only one weapon will be authorized..."
I see. Typical Bay Area fiat policy.
That's not accurate. I have more than three on my SMCSO permit.
Can someone with current, relevant knowledge of good cause statements for San Mateo shoot me a PM? I do have some exceptional circumstances I think would be sufficient but would like to know for sure before I apply.

If you have any sort of heightened risk as good cause, people are getting permits.

-Gene

NorCalAthlete
05-26-2011, 1:54 PM
If you have any sort of heightened risk as good cause, people are getting permits.

-Gene

PM sent.

j-rod
05-26-2011, 10:07 PM
That's not accurate. I have more than three on my SMCSO permit.

-Gene

Good to know. Looking forward to living in San Mateo county. Thanks for the clarification. :cheers2:

stag1500
07-01-2011, 7:00 PM
Does the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office interview you the day you turn in your application or do they call you back another day for the interview? Also, do they fingerprint you the day you submit the application or does that happen on a different day?

hoffmang
07-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Does the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office interview you the day you turn in your application or do they call you back another day for the interview? Also, do they fingerprint you the day you submit the application or does that happen on a different day?

There is only one meeting day and they tend to complete all steps (except qualifying) that day. Anyone competent can qualify after acceptance.

-Gene

stag1500
07-02-2011, 7:46 AM
There is only one meeting day and they tend to complete all steps (except qualifying) that day.

Do you have to make an appointment with them or can you just walk right in? Thanks.

hoffmang
07-02-2011, 9:12 AM
Do you have to make an appointment with them or can you just walk right in? Thanks.

Drop off or Fedex/Certified Mail in your completed application and they will then call you to schedule your appointment.

-Gene

nagorb
07-02-2011, 7:30 PM
So when to we get shall issue?

I kid I kid, thanks for all your hard work CGF.

Cameron
07-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Any word on good cause statements becoming available?

And thanks for all the good work!

Window_Seat
07-03-2011, 6:47 AM
So when to we get shall issue?

I kid I kid, thanks for all your hard work CGF.

Did you do that on purpose? :D

Erik.

stag1500
07-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Drop off or Fedex/Certified Mail in your completed application and they will then call you to schedule your appointment.

-Gene

After the application is dropped off, do they give you a receipt showing that you submitted an application? What kind of questions do they ask you in the interview and how long does it last?

hoffmang
07-11-2011, 7:11 PM
After the application is dropped off, do they give you a receipt showing that you submitted an application? What kind of questions do they ask you in the interview and how long does it last?

I chose Fedex to have a record as I doubt you'll get a receipt if you drop it off personally. The interview portion is about 15 minutes - mostly a review of your application and general queries about your cause. You will then head over to fingerprinting which can take a few minutes. Budget an hour all told and you'll leave early.

-Gene

stag1500
08-01-2011, 1:12 PM
... they will then call you to schedule your appointment.

About how long, after submitting an application, does it take for them to schedule your interview?

thedrickel
08-01-2011, 1:50 PM
Less than a week.

hoffmang
08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Less than a week.

I've seen it take 3 weeks.

-Gene

thedrickel
08-02-2011, 10:50 AM
3 weeks is surprising for just the initial phone call . . . I guess they must be flooded with applicants :p

hoffmang
08-02-2011, 10:48 PM
3 weeks is surprising for just the initial phone call . . . I guess they must be flooded with applicants :p

I think vacations get in the way...

-Gene

anthonyca
08-02-2011, 11:22 PM
So what are the chances of an average San Mateo resident obtaining a CCW?

What is too much color?

hoffmang
08-02-2011, 11:32 PM
So what are the chances of an average San Mateo resident obtaining a CCW?

What is too much color?

If you have heightened cause you can get a license. "Too much color" isn't something easy to define because "color" means so many different things to different people. Some think that a speeding ticket is color while some think multiple recent police reports of strange nearly DV activity is not color....

-Gene

TrevHolland
08-08-2011, 1:31 AM
What's going on everyone. I just moved to San Mateo from Florida. I have my CCW for Florida, and have had it for a couple of years now. I've been doing a lot of research into getting my CCW in California, and I think I have stumbled upon the correct place!

I'm having a hard time figuring out what a "good cause" is to obtain a CCW. Some people have mentioned that self defense is good enough. Others have said they are being overly strict about the definition of "good cause". And I've also seen the phrase "heightened cause" be thrown around a bit.

I will say that I'm in not immediate danger. I have a cushy job as a software engineer in Redwood Shores. If I apply for a CCW here and list "self defense" as my reason, how far will I get?

Also, does holding a Florida CCW offer any sort of merit here? I know it's not recognized as a valid CCW in California, but will it get me out of paying for a safety course or any of that?

Thanks, and I look forward to being part of this fine community.

unusedusername
08-08-2011, 1:51 AM
The state of carry liscenses in California is not so great. Essentially the Sheriff of each county has full discretion on who to issue or not to issue to, with no oversight whatsoever. Also, you can not apply to anoyone above the Sheriff or appeal a decison without a lawsuit through the courts.

In San Mateo the Sheriff has chosen not to issue liscenses unless you have a "hightened risk" you won't get one. (yes, this term *is* arbritrary and undefined on purpose)

I'm in the same boat you are in that I work a job at a software place, and have no direct or hightened cause, so under our current Sheriff I will not be issued a permit either.

Look into the threads on LUCC (locked unloaded container carry) as that is as close as you will get. Be aware that there is no provisions preventing your employer from firing you if you carry to your place of employment and they find out about it.

Also, your FL permit is not useful for anything in this state. It might be a good idea to keep it if you plan on vacationing outside the state.

We've been working for years to change the state of how things work here and there are a few plans in progress right now. Head over to the politics forum (the parent of this one) and take a look... be aware that only about 1% of what is going on is made public... The court cases on carry in California were filed a few years ago and are making their way up the food chain. Eventually the current system will be struck down and replaced with something more sane, but it will be a while...

Edited to add: Welcome to Calguns by the way. We aren't as gloomy as this post sounds, just the state of carry here is a sore spot for me. There are all kimds of cool things going on here and hopefully I'll run into you at a meeting or at the range sometime...

TrevHolland
08-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Well, thanks for the info. I'm shocked at how open this state is on some things (i.e. marijuana) and how close-minded it is about weapons. First, I had to leave my M4 Carbine back in Florida, then I had to get reduced mags for my Glock, and now I can't even get a CCW. Yet, within an hour I can legally purchase an ounce of pot. I'm so baffled. :confused:

nagorb
08-08-2011, 7:28 PM
Well, thanks for the info. I'm shocked at how open this state is on some things (i.e. marijuana) and how close-minded it is about weapons. First, I had to leave my M4 Carbine back in Florida, then I had to get reduced mags for my Glock, and now I can't even get a CCW. Yet, within an hour I can legally purchase an ounce of pot. I'm so baffled. :confused:

Yeah it sucks and makes no sense but you can't exactly kill someone with marijuana. Not trying to justify it, just not very comparable in my opinion.

TrevHolland
08-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah it sucks and makes no sense but you can't exactly kill someone with marijuana. Not trying to justify it, just not very comparable in my opinion.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. I just think it's strange since almost every other state is the exact opposite. I, for one, also support the legalization of marijuana...but I want to carry my weapon while I do it. :D

nagorb
08-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Oh, I couldn't agree more. I just think it's strange since almost every other state is the exact opposite. I, for one, also support the legalization of marijuana...but I want to carry my weapon while I do it. :D

I get ya:) It's all BS feel good laws, people here hear "common sense" gun law and think how could anyone possibly not want these things, not know they're totally BS and infringe upon our 2nd amendment.

Welcome to California and CG!

Gray Peterson
08-09-2011, 12:32 AM
The state of carry liscenses in California is not so great. Essentially the Sheriff of each county has full discretion on who to issue or not to issue to, with no oversight whatsoever.

*buzz* wrong. Notice the lawsuit in Merced?

unusedusername
08-09-2011, 4:20 PM
Gray,

Yes you are correct of course. There is oversight from the courts, just no non-court involving appeals process for denials. The current wave of lawsuits are exactly the thing we need to get us moving in the right direction.

I apologize for my pessimism, I should avoid posting to calguns at 2am while grumpy.

I very much appreciate the huge amount of work you have been doing for us even though you live out of state.

larkayr
09-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I am in the process of getting my application filled out... I will be very interested in how things go for you... having lived in S M co. for the past 40 yrs, it is sure encouraging to see some change and hope... I always feel so great when I cross the border into Oregon going to my place in Washington... it feels great to have that pistol on my waist! ...wishing you success!

taperxz
09-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Completed interview and LiveScan today. They made copies of my DL and other photo IDs.

-Still have to give them a $95 check to process the livescan...
-Still have to scan/email or fax a copy of proof of residency (electric bill, lease agreement, etc)
-Recommended a letter of recommendation from my boss simply stating he had knowledge of my application and supported it would be helpful
-Asked for further clarification of good cause to be emailed to him

Overall they were fairly friendly, helpful, and polite. Though I think I've provided more than enough "good cause" already, I will be complying with their request for further clarifications more specific and personal to show a more direct threat to myself as opposed to a general broader threat just for my occupation.

WOW! i sure don't like that^^^ I would never give them anything from my employer that is used in determining if i should or should not be able to carry concealed. LTC is a personal thing. Not really something you need to get another persons opinion on. I would not comply with their wink and nod request.

code33
09-10-2011, 12:35 PM
IMHO, it depends on who the employer is or what position the applicant holds.
It could be very relevant. We're not in a "shall issue" environment.

WOW! i sure don't like that^^^ I would never give them anything from my employer that is used in determining if i should or should not be able to carry concealed. LTC is a personal thing. Not really something you need to get another persons opinion on. I would not comply with their wink and nod request.

taperxz
09-10-2011, 12:56 PM
IMHO, it depends on who the employer is or what position the applicant holds.
It could be very relevant. We're not in a "shall issue" environment.

This "recommended letter" mirrors what CGF has fought in regards to LTC's. They recommend this letter with a wink and a nod but in fact is not a legit part of the law when applying for LTC's.

I am familiar with San Mateo! Their arms need to twisted a little tighter in my opinion!

code33
09-10-2011, 3:34 PM
Unless there's a rubber stamp just cause statement that is accepted by SM County, the applicant can decide... Twist away.

taperxz
09-10-2011, 3:46 PM
Unless there's a rubber stamp just cause statement that is accepted by SM County, the applicant can decide... Twist away.

No twist at all. There is the law and there is dept's breaking the law. The law was made by the state to be followed the way it was written. NOT to be twisted by the sheriffs dept.

So what is your twist on the law???

NorCalAthlete
09-10-2011, 3:58 PM
The way it sounded to me was that it wouldn't hurt to have, not that "wink wink, if your boss says you're good to go we'll think so too". Either way, my boss knows anyway and doesn't care so it won't be a problem for me to obtain.

code33
09-10-2011, 4:18 PM
You said...

Their arms need to twisted a little tighter in my opinion!

My response: Twist away
Meaning, go for it...

taperxz
09-10-2011, 4:31 PM
It's happening now. I refused to give San Mateo what they wanted. at the time they didn't even want to give me an application. I look forward to seeing them have to buckle to the law and not their own ways. Giving them what they want when it's not required is only reenforcing their ideas to make it hard on all of us to get a LTC.

NOT ONE INCH!!

Python2
09-21-2011, 3:26 PM
It's happening now. I refused to give San Mateo what they wanted. at the time they didn't even want to give me an application. I look forward to seeing them have to buckle to the law and not their own ways. Giving them what they want when it's not required is only reenforcing their ideas to make it hard on all of us to get a LTC.

NOT ONE INCH!!

I agree, having experience with San Mateo. Wonder if they asked Gene the same thing....no....wait..I believe he is his own boss....recommendation from a client maybe? Sure sounds like they are looking for reason to say no. Anyway, I hope you get it.

CapS
09-30-2011, 5:25 PM
I notice, on the Issuance Policy document for SM Sheriff, that us city dwellers must first apply to the Police Chief, then if the Chief concludes that there is Good Cause, the application will be forwarded to the sheriff.

I never knew that!

Then again,

:inquis:

Gray Peterson
10-06-2011, 2:13 PM
I notice, on the Issuance Policy document for SM Sheriff, that us city dwellers must first apply to the Police Chief, then if the Chief concludes that there is Good Cause, the application will be forwarded to the sheriff.

I never knew that!

Then again,

:inquis:

No. this is not the current policy

hammer
10-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Congrats!

nagorb
10-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Nice!

Wish I had "elevated" cause:mad: I guess in a way.

edwardm
10-17-2011, 11:21 AM
The term "elevated cause" is just too nebulous for me to work with. I know, I SHOULD be able to work with it, but it's like trying to peel apart an onion, with a dull knife, without crying. Heh. But, I'll try anyway. All they can say is "no".

natrab
10-18-2011, 1:51 AM
I'll soon be getting up the nerve to apply for this as well. It's good news seeing some people getting their applications approved!

edwardm
10-18-2011, 4:35 AM
It's not even "nerve" for me, it's just preparing deep wells of patience and understanding in preparation to deal with their bureaucratic process (aka "bring a shovel, the ****'s deep, son.)

I realize that chances of denial are high. I also realize that over time, LTC issuance realities (if only in practice and not in the letter of the law) will change around here. It happened elsewhere, it is being pushed in other places and you cannot forever see a civil right reduced to arbitrary feelings about disbursement and practice. I'd wait longer, but Munks seems not unreasonable.

hoffmang
10-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Range qualified + class today. Much shorter than I anticipated. Just waiting on the permit to be mailed to me now :)

Class is enjoyable even. Once you get to the range you're among gunnies.

-Gene

NorCalAthlete
10-25-2011, 1:32 PM
Class is enjoyable even. Once you get to the range you're among gunnies.

-Gene

Highly enjoyable actually. Shot a nice tight, fast group on each iteration, got to shoot as fast as I wanted without a rangemaster telling me to slow down, etc :)

JPShinn
11-03-2011, 1:12 PM
Is there any update on what constitutes acceptable good cause?

weinerd
11-03-2011, 4:16 PM
Update - Got a phone call today. App approved! :D Range class on the 23rd, then upon receipt of my papers from the course + range time my permit will be mailed to me. So, probably end of this month I'll have my permit.

care to share your good cause (in general, nonspecifically)??

831Shooter
11-06-2011, 3:09 PM

NOT ONE INCH!!

Hey taperxz - Did you ever get an approval or denial from SM?

I noticed norcalathlete submitted his app on 9-7-11 and was approved on 10-6-11..

From your post it seems you submitted on or before 9-10-11. Am wondering what happened and if denied their reasoning had to do with your not providing the "extras" they wanted..

Thanks,
831S

gose
12-15-2011, 9:17 AM

nums
12-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Is this enough "cause" in San Mateo to get a license to carry?

* live in San Mateo
* work in San Francisco in the Tenderloin

In the Tenderloin, a month ago, 2 people got shot on our block. I regularly see people smoking crack, prostitution, crazy nut jobs, gang bangers selling drugs. About 6 months ago, I had a gangbanger take a swing (missed!) at me and talking smack about "kicking my white ***"; I was able to simply cross the street and walk away.

I'm a cool-headed guy. So, I'm not looking for trouble. Just would like to be able to carry if I'm going to be working late and going to/from the parking lot.

Thanks,

Backcountry
12-23-2011, 8:40 AM

No.

Python2
12-23-2011, 8:50 AM

* live in San Mateo
* work in San Francisco in the Tenderloin

In the Tenderloin, a month ago, 2 people got shot on our block. I regularly see people smoking crack, prostitution, crazy nut jobs, gang bangers selling drugs. About 6 months ago, I had a gangbanger take a swing (missed!) at me and talking smack about "kicking my white ***"; I was able to simply cross the street and walk away.

I'm a cool-headed guy. So, I'm not looking for trouble. Just would like to be able to carry if I'm going to be working late and going to/from the parking lot.

Thanks,

Maybe the Sheriff or his underlings by now realized that CCW cover the entire state of California.

My experience by their (lady detective who interviewed me) statement " We understand your need to carry in those places you mentioned, but they are all outside our jurisdiction" - Denied

devious21
01-15-2012, 12:21 PM
When I first got my handgun (about 7 years ago now?), I remember taking a look at the calguns ccw map and having just a complete feeling of hopelessness. Someone mentioned I should come take another look and stopped by to expect pretty much more of the same. I am SHOCKED by how much progress you guys are making!

I'm going to start passing that Amazon link around and making sure it gets used. Those personally going through the CCW process right now, please keep us updated! I'm going to be following the thread and I'm ready to apply once it is tactically smart to do so.

Thank you to the people putting the work in. My rights thank you as well!

gose
01-18-2012, 2:38 PM
I'm going to be following the thread and I'm ready to apply once it is tactically smart to do so.

Whats wrong with now?

Its been mentioned earlier in the thread that applying now is fine...

unusedusername
01-19-2012, 1:05 AM
Any news on the cause statements for San Mateo?

The CGF website still says:
Known Accepted Good Cause Statements: CGF and our team of lawyers and volunteers are working to acquire copies of all accepted good cause statements. Stay tuned!

devious21
01-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Whats wrong with now?

Its been mentioned earlier in the thread that applying now is fine...

-Gene

My current cause doesn't contain "heightened risk" as far as I can tell. I also walk through shady parts of SF at night but it doesn't sound like that's justification.

mud99
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
I've been thinking about applying for an LTC in San Mateo county. Does CGF need any volunteer applicants at this time?

I'm not sure if I qualify as "heightened risk". I am a business owner who frequently transports large amounts of cash and technology equipment in my vehicle.

hoffmang
01-27-2012, 1:22 AM
I've been thinking about applying for an LTC in San Mateo county. Does CGF need any volunteer applicants at this time?

I'm not sure if I qualify as "heightened risk". I am a business owner who frequently transports large amounts of cash and technology equipment in my vehicle.

That sort of cause is generally working. We need no volunteers particularly but would encourage you to apply with that sort of good cause.

-Gene

gatesbox
01-28-2012, 8:23 AM
Forgive me if this is a bit OT and a bit of a rant, feel free to delete, but with budgets shrinking on the Penninsula and local PD getting absorbed by The Sheriffs Dept. how long can this county resist issuing LTC? I have lived in San Carlos for one year now. In that year I have seen a clean town with no graffiti slowly show signs that criminals now know these areas are vulnerable. There have been two B&E Burglaries in my neighborhood this last week, I am told it has been 30 years since there has been a Break-in in our neighborhood. If the state is going bankrupt and municipalities can not provide public safety, seems like the least they could do is get out of the way of LTC....

/rant

edwardm
01-28-2012, 8:42 AM
Forgive me if this is a bit OT and a bit of a rant, feel free to delete, but with budgets shrinking on the Penninsula and local PD getting absorbed by The Sheriffs Dept. how long can this county resist issuing LTC? I have lived in San Carlos for one year now. In that year I have seen a clean town with no graffiti slowly show signs that criminals now know these areas are vulnerable. There have been two B&E Burglaries in my neighborhood this last week, I am told it has been 30 years since there has been a Break-in in our neighborhood. If the state is going bankrupt and municipalities can not provide public safety, seems like the least they could do is get out of the way of LTC....

/rant

Should have moved to Belmont. ;-)

mud99
01-28-2012, 9:57 AM
Local PD in San Carlos told me they wouldn't show up when a truck driver crashed into my building and was attempting to leave the scene.

I finally got him to cooperate and give me DL and insurance info, no help from the police, but that was only because I called the company he worked for and refused to let him drive away.

Personally, Im glad the sheriff took over. I don't know if they are any better, but they can't possibly be any worse.

taperxz
01-28-2012, 4:16 PM

/rant

Why are you not applying for your LTC? San Mateo county has been issuing for elevated good cause statements.

FTC
01-30-2012, 5:58 PM
Never thought I'd have any heightened cause for an LTC but I had to go to court as an "expert witness" in a grow house prosecution recently. I didn't have to testify yet but I will soon. The DA told me as I was dismissed, "these people are out on bond/bail and do not have criminal records". My immediate thought was crap, they know who I am and I don't feel safe. Is this a heightened cause?

hoffmang
01-30-2012, 6:36 PM
Never thought I'd have any heightened cause for an LTC but I had to go to court as an "expert witness" in a grow house prosecution recently. I didn't have to testify yet but I will soon. The DA told me as I was dismissed, "these people are out on bond/bail and do not have criminal records". My immediate thought was crap, they know who I am and I don't feel safe. Is this a heightened cause?

It's on the edge depending on the facts of those people and whether you testify, but it's not going to hurt to try that cause.

-Gene

natrab
02-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Application is in finally. Hopefully I will hear back soon.

natrab
02-15-2012, 3:32 PM
Called in yesterday and came in to do my livescan today. Now it's just waiting to see if it's approved. Tom Merson was the person to talk to and he was very nice and informative.

jimhu
02-24-2012, 2:21 PM
Dropped my application with the Belmont PD last Friday, haven't heard from them since. Is it too early to stop by and ask for a status?

edwardm
02-24-2012, 2:43 PM
Dropped my application with the Belmont PD last Friday, haven't heard from them since. Is it too early to stop by and ask for a status?

Why did you give it to Belmont PD?

jimhu
02-24-2012, 3:01 PM
Why did you give it to Belmont PD?

I didn't know at the time that I can hand it directly to the SM Sheriff. I just stopped at the Belmont PD to ask about this and they have handed me the application. When I dropped it off, they didn't really interview me, just collected it and said thanks.

Now I wonder what to do next. Shell I go back to Belmont PD and ask for status or go to the sheriff office with a new application.

edwardm
02-24-2012, 3:10 PM
I didn't know at the time that I can hand it directly to the SM Sheriff. I just stopped at the Belmont PD to ask about this and they have handed me the application. When I dropped it off, they didn't really interview me, just collected it and said thanks.

Now I wonder what to do next. Shell I go back to Belmont PD and ask for status or go to the sheriff office with a new application.

That's an interesting question, to which I don't know the answer. I suppose you could ask to voluntarily withdraw the application and resubmit it to SMCSO. That shouldn't count as a "denial", so I don't think that would matter.

Unless someone else already knows, I should see if I can arrange a time to talk to the chief. I've no idea what his stand is on CHL's, other than the blurb on the BPD web site. I was surprised when I went down there to get my prints rolled for AZ and found that they had the apps on hand and ready to hand out.

When I was a kid, several of the rank-and-file BPD officers were pro-2A, but that was some decades ago. No idea now.

gose
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Even when you apply directly to the SMSD, the process is likely to take 3-4 months, patience is a virtue ;)

edwardm
02-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Even when you apply directly to the SMSD, the process is likely to take 3-4 months, patience is a virtue ;)

I'm assuming from what I've read in this subforum and in others, that a good part of the wait involves a Livescan return.

Can anyone tell me why it takes so long to get the livescan results? When my friends took the bar exam a few years ago (2006), the State Bar had results in days, not months.

I'll temper that with I have no idea how fingerprint-based checks proceed or what exactly they involve. But the State Bar is doing the same sorts of checks that the Sheriff is doing, FBI, State, inserting microscope up your backside, etc.

In fact, come to think of it, some of the questions on the CHL app are reminiscent of bar application (the moral character part) questions and inquiries. Too bad a determination on one can't substitute for the other.

gose
02-27-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm assuming from what I've read in this subforum and in others, that a good part of the wait involves a Livescan return.
Can anyone tell me why it takes so long to get the livescan results? When my friends took the bar exam a few years ago (2006), the State Bar had results in days, not months.
I'll temper that with I have no idea how fingerprint-based checks proceed or what exactly they involve. But the State Bar is doing the same sorts of checks that the Sheriff is doing, FBI, State, inserting microscope up your backside, etc.
In fact, come to think of it, some of the questions on the CHL app are reminiscent of bar application (the moral character part) questions and inquiries. Too bad a determination on one can't substitute for the other.

~1 mo to get called to interview
~1 mo to get results from live scan (and approval/denial from Sheriff)
~1 mo to get into the class/qualification
~1 mo to get your permit.

give or take a couple of weeks for each step.

edwardm
02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
~1 mo to get called to interview
~1 mo to get results from live scan (and approval/denial from Sheriff)
~1 mo to get into the class/qualification
~1 mo to get your permit.

give or take a couple of weeks for each step.

Oh. Well, the interview happens (now, at least, and assuming you call ahead) when you drop off the app. So that 30 day wait goes out the window. Fill in the boxes and bubbles, make a call, show up, burn an hour talking to the nice man and getting livescanned.

Still seems odd that in this digital age, a livescan takes 4 weeks to complete, though I don't disbelieve you.

Audi0phile
02-28-2012, 9:28 PM
Hey y'all. Been following this thread for a lil while, especially glad to see some fellow San Carlos residents here.

I received an email today which motivated me to finally join CalGuns and get in on it. The Greater East San Carlos board is concerned about the recent rise of crime in our area, namely, the small neighborhood on the wrong side of the tracks. They have sent this out:

Dear Greater East San Carlos residents,

There have been several burglaries in the neighborhood over the past year, and as a result the GESC Board has requested a community meeting with the San Carlos Police Department to discuss what the neighborhood can do in cooperation with the Police Department. Captain Greg Rothaus will meet with us March 1, 2012 7:00-to 8:30 p.m. at the Laureola Community Center. The Agenda for the evening is as follows:

1) History and trends of crime in San Carlos.

2) History and trends of crime in Greater East San Carlos neighborhood.

3) San Mateo County Alert System.

4) The Neighborhood Watch Program.

5) Other issues of concern to the GESC neighborhood that the Police should be aware of.

We encourage you to come and participate. Please speak with you neighbors and encourage them to attend as well. The key to a safe neighborhood is residents watching out for other residents in cooperation with the Police. Please come and learn how to be more involved in improving your neighborhoods safety.

See you there.

Sam Herzberg, GESC Board Member

Would this be a venue that could be utilized to further my quest for a CCL? Specifically, ask the Police Chief directly if living in my neighborhood would provide me with good cause for a CCL?

I am planning on attending and would be willing to meet up with any fellow CalGunners in case they were thinking about it too.

A CCW is like a seatbelt, would rather have one than not; if this provides a small window for me to obtain one, I'd like to take it. I do not want to cause a ruckus though, should this be a poor venue to advance my cause so I am here seeking advice.

natrab
02-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Just FYI, it took me one day to get an "interview" which consisted of me calling and asking when I could come in. I did my livescan on 2/15 and got an email today that my results were back and my application is being forwarded up the chain. We'll see how long it takes to get a decision, but things seem to be moving pretty fast.

hoffmang
02-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Would this be a venue that could be utilized to further my quest for a CCL? Specifically, ask the Police Chief directly if living in my neighborhood would provide me with good cause for a CCL?

San Carlos disbanded their muni-PD and folded it into the Sheriff's office. This sort of general concern isn't enough to rise to the level of "good cause" in San Mateo though. You need something more specifically applicable to you.

-Gene

Audi0phile
02-29-2012, 8:33 AM
Thanks Gene, exactly the info I was looking for.

I was aware that scpd was rolled into the sheriff's dept. so I did think it was odd todays meeting is with the "chief". Maybe scpd is their own little club inside of the san matron sheriffs dept lol.

edwardm
02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Just FYI, it took me one day to get an "interview" which consisted of me calling and asking when I could come in. I did my livescan on 2/15 and got an email today that my results were back and my application is being forwarded up the chain. We'll see how long it takes to get a decision, but things seem to be moving pretty fast.

I'm annoyed. I was in there an hour before you and still nothing.

Oh well. Patience is a virtue, I suppose. :)

jimhu
02-29-2012, 10:47 AM

Update, Belmont PD is returning my application saying that I should have filled pages 11-14. I think this is wrong. It says so on the application itself and also on the application from the Sheriff office. So I think I will take this opportunity to withdraw it and take it directly to the Sheriff office. It seems at the sheriff office they are more familiar with the process .

natrab
03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Update, Belmont PD is returning my application saying that I should have filled pages 11-14. I think this is wrong. It says so on the application itself and also on the application from the Sheriff office. So I think I will take this opportunity to withdraw it and take it directly to the Sheriff office. It seems at the sheriff office they are more familiar with the process .

Be sure to go to the sheriff's office on a Tuesday or Wednesday, as those are the days Tom Merson is there to handle your request. You can even call ahead and make an appointment so you can get your livescan done as well. If you need the number PM me.

edwardm
03-23-2012, 9:15 AM
Got a call at home late yesterday while I was still at the office. Application approved, range/class date scheduled for 5/6. Just need to send them the other $100 and show up with guns, ammo and holsters.

Maybe I missed it in the application, but what is the course of fire? (I was a little too giddy to remember to ask the lady and now she's not answering her phone.)

jimhu
03-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Got a call at home late yesterday while I was still at the office. Application approved, range/class date scheduled for 5/6. Just need to send them the other $100 and show up with guns, ammo and holsters.

Maybe I missed it in the application, but what is the course of fire? (I was a little too giddy to remember to ask the lady and now she's not answering her phone.)

The details for the course of fire is in the original packet I got from Tom. PM me if you need a copy. There was a thread with description from someone who actually took the class recently. I just can't find it anymore.

How long did it take from original application to approval?

Congratulations, hope to join soon-:)

edwardm
03-23-2012, 10:49 AM
The details for the course of fire is in the original packet I got from Tom. PM me if you need a copy. There was a thread with description from someone who actually took the class recently. I just can't find it anymore.

How long did it take from original application to approval?

Congratulations, hope to join soon-:)

All I have is the model app, so it's not county-specific and probably was stripped out. I drove down to Belmont PD and got a copy of their app and all it says is bring at least 36 rounds per listed firearm, while the Sheriff's dept told me this morning to bring "at least" 50 per listed firearm. I'll make some more calls and see who has that fo and then post here for posterity.

So far I'm about 5 weeks into the process. It looks like the longest wait is going to be between approval and the training, which looks like about 7 weeks. Plenty of time to brush up.

gose
03-26-2012, 10:36 AM
All I have is the model app, so it's not county-specific and probably was stripped out. I drove down to Belmont PD and got a copy of their app and all it says is bring at least 36 rounds per listed firearm, while the Sheriff's dept told me this morning to bring "at least" 50 per listed firearm. I'll make some more calls and see who has that fo and then post here for posterity.
So far I'm about 5 weeks into the process. It looks like the longest wait is going to be between approval and the training, which looks like about 7 weeks. Plenty of time to brush up.

its 48, afaik

edwardm
03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
its 48, afaik

The lady that called me was not well versed on the training aspect and couldn't give me the details I wanted. I know now that it's strings of shots totaling 48 rounds per pistol, and I guess they figure "50" is a nice round number.

Do you know if they use a B27(the politically correct version), a "Q" or something else?

gose
03-26-2012, 12:17 PM
The lady that called me was not well versed on the training aspect and couldn't give me the details I wanted. I know now that it's strings of shots totaling 48 rounds per pistol, and I guess they figure "50" is a nice round number.

Do you know if they use a B27(the politically correct version), a "Q" or something else?

Its not a B27, TQ15 maybe?

gm412
03-28-2012, 1:37 PM
I have a residence in Belmont. A couple of months ago the house was broken in to in the middle of the day. My wife and daughter are horrified. They took all of our guns, TVs, cash and more. Would this be a good enough cause in San Mateo County?

taperxz
03-28-2012, 1:47 PM
NO, In home is already a right and there is no need for an LTC in the home.

It would be better to tailor or present your GCS in an everyday, everywhere way, outside of the home.

s4alex
03-28-2012, 1:55 PM
I have a residence in Belmont. A couple of months ago the house was broken in to in the middle of the day. My wife and daughter are horrified. They took all of our guns, TVs, cash and more. Would this be a good enough cause in San Mateo County?

No, plus they will figure, since they took all your guns, you will have no need for a carry license since you will have nothing to carry.

On a serious note, hope that your family was not home at the time and all is well now.

Must look out for the bad guys now as I am only down the road from you. It seems that this area is starting pick up on the crime rate. Damn, looks like I am going to have to start locking my doors.

gm412
03-28-2012, 2:38 PM
That is what I thought. We bought a new home in Lake County and will be moving my primary residence there. I will just apply in Lake County then. I hear all you have to say there is self defence.

Python2
03-28-2012, 2:39 PM
Damn, looks like I am going to have to start locking my doors.

You dont lock your doors? :eek: yay!

gm412
03-28-2012, 2:49 PM
Actually the police told me there is a gang from the east bay that is robbing houses in Belmont and San Carlos. Up to 3-4 a week.

natrab
03-31-2012, 6:23 PM
Well I got my denial letter today saying that I did not meet the criteria set out by the San Mateo Sheriff. It included a number to call saying that I can have an appeal in person. I could really use some help from one of the experts on how to go about this.

unusedusername
04-06-2012, 1:26 PM
Is there any updates on the "good cause" statements for San Mateo county?

I'm also curious if anyone knows of the Sheriff is now compliant with SB610.

hoffmang
04-06-2012, 9:13 PM
Is there any updates on the "good cause" statements for San Mateo county?

I'm also curious if anyone knows of the Sheriff is now compliant with SB610.

The actual status on the GC's is Brandon's department. Recently, only heightened cause GC's are working. I do know that the sheriff is aware of SB-610 and based on prior actions I fully expect them to be compliant.

-Gene

jimhu
04-30-2012, 9:59 AM
Should take about 6 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

jimbaran
05-04-2012, 1:00 PM
The actual status on the GC's is Brandon's department. Recently, only heightened cause GC's are working. I do know that the sheriff is aware of SB-610 and based on prior actions I fully expect them to be compliant.

-Gene

Any sample of heightened cause GC by any chance? I am planning to apply for San Mateo. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

edwardm
05-06-2012, 8:22 AM
Any sample of heightened cause GC by any chance? I am planning to apply for San Mateo. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Think of it this way - heightened cause implies heightened risk. So ask: why are you at any greater risk of having violence visited upon you, compared to Joe Random? If you can articulate facts and circumstances that put you at some enhanced risk, you have determined your enhanced good cause.

ASD1
06-08-2012, 4:44 PM
I would like to give a BIG THANK YOU to "taperxz" He has been very helpfull with guiding me through the red tape As of now All of my paperwork has been aproved all I have left to do is go Shoot. :D

taperxz
06-08-2012, 5:58 PM
Good to hear! Your good cause surely met the standard and was articulated well. I never really doubted you getting it. Congrats!

hoffmang
06-08-2012, 6:21 PM
If you have any further questions now that you're approved, don't hesitate. There are a few of us who've been through the shoot recently. Bottom line is that if you know your 4 rules and can basically shoot, you'll have fun.

-Gene

gose
06-08-2012, 8:16 PM
If you have any further questions now that you're approved, don't hesitate. There are a few of us who've been through the shoot recently. Bottom line is that if you know your 4 rules and can basically shoot, you'll have fun.
-Gene

I think the only way to fail the shooting is if you drop your loaded gun :)

CitaDeL
06-08-2012, 9:36 PM
I would like to give a BIG THANK YOU to "taperxz" He has been very helpfull with guiding me through the red tape As of now All of my paperwork has been aproved all I have left to do is go Shoot. :D

Congratulations.

It almost makes me want to move.:(

edwardm
06-09-2012, 7:13 AM

The only part that sucked about the qualification was the sand. There was no table convenient to use, so I put my range bag and ammo cans on the ground along with most everyone else. Prepare for a deep cleaning after class. :)

Without CGF I believe none of this would be possible. Send $$ - either an outright donation, via the Amazon link or the CGF store, etc.

Has anyone here ever carried at the San Mateo County Fair? County exempts LTC holders from their general carry prohibition, but I don't expect the greeters to know that, should there be an issue. I don't think they wand, but I can't remember from last year.

taperxz
06-09-2012, 7:41 AM
ASD, knows where to send his donations. It appears he d onated to the forum for being a great resource, and I expect him to do a little something for CGF too. When I helped it was for CGF. :)

hoffmang
06-10-2012, 4:04 PM
Has anyone here ever carried at the San Mateo County Fair? County exempts LTC holders from their general carry prohibition, but I don't expect the greeters to know that, should there be an issue. I don't think they wand, but I can't remember from last year.

I carried there without incident last year.

-Gene

edwardm
06-10-2012, 5:25 PM
I carried there without incident last year.

-Gene

I carried there without incident* yesterday. :) Gracias for the feedback, regardless of timing.

* - Well, I think I got made due to a wardrobe malfunction that was beyond my control (small children, not mine, with very grabby hands at the NPRA - National Pig Racing Association).

hoffmang
06-11-2012, 10:41 PM
* - Well, I think I got made due to a wardrobe malfunction that was beyond my control (small children, not mine, with very grabby hands at the NPRA - National Pig Racing Association).

That guy is quite the ham...

-Gene

wireless
06-12-2012, 8:15 AM
Any word on when good clause will be available?

Unfortunately, my wish to have a CCW to defend myself won't be enough in this county.

RMP91
07-17-2012, 5:49 PM
Since I live in SMC and have heard a lot of things about being the easiest place to get an LTC, I guess we're the most "gun-friendly" county in the Bay Area?

wireless
07-17-2012, 6:42 PM
From what I understand you have to have a good reason.

IE: I drive with lots of a cash, I am a doctor who prescribes drugs, I work late at night in a bad area and own a business that sells expensive goods, I am witness in a drug trafficking case, etc.

Self defense isn't good enough. You must expand and justify the self defense

gatesbox
07-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Hello neighbors, quick question. Was there ever any follow up to the public posting of license holders names in SM?

Gray Peterson
07-18-2012, 1:00 AM
Hello neighbors, quick question. Was there ever any follow up to the public posting of license holders names in SM?

Patch took it down.

dantodd
07-18-2012, 6:34 AM
Since I live in SMC and have heard a lot of things about being the easiest place to get an LTC, I guess we're the most "gun-friendly" county in the Bay Area?

We are the most friendly in the Bay Area. Unfortunately that is not a very high bar to clear. As Wireless said, you do need elevated risk to be granted a license.

TZL
08-06-2012, 4:07 PM
Natrab,

Sorry to hear, what was your "good cause"?

Was it denied for that or something else?

Well I got my denial letter today saying that I did not meet the criteria set out by the San Mateo Sheriff. It included a number to call saying that I can have an appeal in person. I could really use some help from one of the experts on how to go about this.

ASD1
08-07-2012, 5:51 PM
ASD, knows where to send his donations. It appears he d onated to the forum for being a great resource, and I expect him to do a little something for CGF too. When I helped it was for CGF. :)

;):D

CalBear
08-31-2012, 3:15 PM
We are the most friendly in the Bay Area. Unfortunately that is not a very high bar to clear. As Wireless said, you do need elevated risk to be granted a license.
The bar is obviously very low, but the contrast between SMC and some of the outright-ban counties like SF and Alameda is still pretty stark. For the average person, it doesn't really make a difference, but for folks with elevated risk or exposure, the worst counties won't even give you the time of day -- at least SMC seems to issue to people with higher-than-average risk.

Turbo95Max
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
I have most of my CCW application filled out except page 13 where I need to articulate my reasons of good cause. Hopefully someone here can donate their free time to go over what I got and give me some pointers. I'm not the best when it comes with words. Thanks

gose
09-18-2012, 2:34 PM
I have most of my CCW application filled out except page 13 where I need to articulate my reasons of good cause. Hopefully someone here can donate their free time to go over what I got and give me some pointers. I'm not the best when it comes with words. Thanks

I'm pretty sure the instructions say to fill out up to and including page 11, no further than that.

Include your good cause statement on a separate piece of paper.

edwardm
10-08-2012, 6:08 AM
Has anyone applying in San Mateo county been having problems getting scheduled for app drop-off or interviews, say within the last 3 weeks?

It looks like the previous person who handled that function (Tom Merson) is no longer with the SO and the new person is not, in several cases I know of, not returning calls, scheduling interviews/fingerprinting, etc.

I have heard other grumblings as well. Hoping someone has some information, as I'm trying to walk a couple of people through the process. Not sure if this is a transitional-institutional 'hiccup', or if something else is afoot.

gose
10-08-2012, 4:57 PM
Has anyone applying in San Mateo county been having problems getting scheduled for app drop-off or interviews, say within the last 3 weeks?
It looks like the previous person who handled that function (Tom Merson) is no longer with the SO and the new person is not, in several cases I know of, not returning calls, scheduling interviews/fingerprinting, etc.
I have heard other grumblings as well. Hoping someone has some information, as I'm trying to walk a couple of people through the process. Not sure if this is a transitional-institutional 'hiccup', or if something else is afoot.

Even with Tom around, it seemed like getting an interview ranged from a few days to over a month, so I doubt it will get any better with him gone...

edwardm
10-08-2012, 5:49 PM
Even with Tom around, it seemed like getting an interview ranged from a few days to over a month, so I doubt it will get any better with him gone...

In Tom's defense (not that I owe him one), he was part-time and only in the office 2 or 3 days per week.

His replacement is a sworn sergeant, though I don't know yet if he is a reserve or a regular F/T person. I'm wondering if there has been a shift in the internal policies at the SMCSO or if we're just dealing with 'takeover lag'.

I guess I'll start working the phones this week and see what I can come up with.

BHLiu11
10-18-2012, 6:39 PM
Here is the situation .. I live in DC and Work in Burlingame .. usually work till 9 to 10 pm and carry around 7k once a week .. good clause?

I should have applied for CCW when I lived in Sacto but I moved 3 years ago ..

Any suggestions? Please help. Thank you.

BHLiu11
10-18-2012, 6:46 PM
By the way, would it help if I inform the SO that I was in the USMC and went through POST Reserve Level II Class right after 9/11? I can probably get character references from a few retired cops, active duty cops, and may be a judge (If she stills remember me) LOL

Powerkraut
10-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Do you think that "The East Palo Alto Police Department's complete inability to control or contain the violence in my neighborhood" would constitute good cause? Honestly that's all I have outside of "The Second Amendment guarentees that my right to keep an bear arms shall not be infringed"?