PDA

View Full Version : San Mateo -- APPLY to Get a Spot in Line

Pages : 1 [2] 3

unusedusername
10-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Powerkruat: From what I understand that won't work too well... but you can always try.

I'm in the same boat you are, just waiting for progress and donating money to CGF when I can.

Bhliu11: if you have written proof of carrying large sums of money often then you should try.

jimhu
10-19-2012, 2:39 PM
You need to rephrase this in a way that it directly impacts your safety. For example: did you every walked near your home and was threatened or was in a situation that caused you to believe that you are in danger? You need to describe those situations. Did you ever filed a complaint with the police about violence or break in? Those are all good causes, but they have to be your personal experiences.

Do not talk down at the police. Remember that you are asking _them_ to give you something they don't have to. On the contrary, be supportive of their effort.

Do you think that "The East Palo Alto Police Department's complete inability to control or contain the violence in my neighborhood" would constitute good cause? Honestly that's all I have outside of "The Second Amendment guarentees that my right to keep an bear arms shall not be infringed"?

BHLiu11
10-19-2012, 2:46 PM
Does that mean I need to get a letter from the Boss saying I carry $$? He is anti gun LOL

gose
10-22-2012, 9:12 AM
Does that mean I need to get a letter from the Boss saying I carry $$? He is anti gun LOL

AFAIK, if you use work in your good cause, they will contact your employer.

Lead Waster
12-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Think of it this way - heightened cause implies heightened risk. So ask: why are you at any greater risk of having violence visited upon you, compared to Joe Random? If you can articulate facts and circumstances that put you at some enhanced risk, you have determined your enhanced good cause.

Just to lighten the mood here, I'd say this; "I really rub people the wrong way, people just want to beat the crap out of me because I'm a bit a jerk, so I'm at heightened risk of having violence visited upon me. By the way, did you gain some weight?"

edwardm
12-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Just to lighten the mood here, I'd say this; "I really rub people the wrong way, people just want to beat the crap out of me because I'm a bit a jerk, so I'm at heightened risk of having violence visited upon me. By the way, did you gain some weight?"

LOL.

I should have added to examine your daily life activities. What seems mundane to you may be good cause to the Sheriff. To some extent, finding good cause for SMCSO to accept is more a mental exercise than anything else. I'm not saying to spin a tale out of whole cloth, mind you. :D

kf6tac
12-12-2012, 11:46 PM

How about, "I need to defend myself from rabid raccoons and jackrabbits the size of small dogs that frequent the parking lot of my office building when I leave late at night"? Because that's pretty much all I've got. That, and the damn Canada geese all over Redwood Shores.

Almost makes me wish my life were ever-so-slightly more in danger on a regular basis than it actually is. Almost. Maybe I should get a job at an Apple store around the time their next big iProduct comes out :p

batstrider
12-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Is there anybody I can PM about my circumstances, to see if it might be "good enough" for San Mateo county?

Python2
12-14-2012, 6:18 AM
Is there anybody I can PM about my circumstances, to see if it might be "good enough" for San Mateo county?

Gene

gose
12-14-2012, 9:16 AM

If its better that "self defense" I'd spend the $95 to find out

mud99
12-21-2012, 11:47 AM
So i'm ready to apply for a CCW, should I just fill out the form based on my good cause? Or do we have any Known Accepted Good Cause Statements available yet?

edwardm
12-21-2012, 11:52 AM
So i'm ready to apply for a CCW, should I just fill out the form based on my good cause? Or do we have any Known Accepted Good Cause Statements available yet?

Your GC will have to be 1) legitimate and 2) stand on its own.

It is not a boilerplate exercise with Sheriff Munks, but he's reasonable. So, give it a shot.

NB: due to some recent personnel changes at SMCSO things *may* be backlogged a bit more than usual according to my sources. Nothing major, but a couple months ago apps were slow in being accepted, calls not returned, etc.

mud99
12-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Your GC will have to be 1) legitimate and 2) stand on its own.

It is not a boilerplate exercise with Sheriff Munks, but he's reasonable. So, give it a shot.

NB: due to some recent personnel changes at SMCSO things *may* be backlogged a bit more than usual according to my sources. Nothing major, but a couple months ago apps were slow in being accepted, calls not returned, etc.

I have a few potential qualifying factors, so I think I have a fair chance of being accepted, depending on how I choose to present these factors.

Regardless of result, i'm ok with dumping money down the drain to give it a shot.

SoundENGR
02-08-2013, 5:17 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this Forum, so forgive me if I say anything stupid. I'm a San Mateo County resident (Redwood City), and have been my entire life with the exception of one year in Emeryville.

I have been a handgun owner for a while now and feel comfortable enough with my handgun to carry it. I am asking for some opinions on here because I can not contact the Sheriff's office about it because of a close relationship with the person I would normally ask (who is very anti-gun), and because I've not forums much other information on it in forums.

I own an audio business and run sound for events. I regularly tow a trailer with about half a million dollars worth of gear in it with a truck that has my company name including advertising equipment for concerts, events, etc. on the side of it. I also work alone, and am loading my trailer late at night for over an hour leaving it open, and have had equipment stolen from an event site twice. Now I think I would have "Good Cause" for Sheriff Munks, but I've also seen plenty that around here that the expectation of victimization is not considered "good cause". Now I don't have a bag full of money that I carry around, but what's in my equipment trailer is my life and career, and I consider it more valuable to me than a bag of money.

I would love to get some outside opinions on the relationship between "expectation of victimization" and "protecting large sums of valuable equipment" with regard to San Mateo County's CCW's.

I very much appreciate any input or response on here, and any outside information I get I'll happily share here!!

jimhu
02-09-2013, 6:08 AM
While I am not the one to decide, I think you have a "good cause". I recommend you write a letter, listing every case of theft from your trailer including police case number (you did call them to report, right?). List any case were there was a "strange" activity that might have lead to a "dangerous" one, even if it didn't. Explain why it is important that you keep doing this job. List your gun training and qualification. Tell them how you are a long time, good, contributing resident of San Mateo CO. Call the Sheriff office and ask to speak to the person handling LTC permits. Be patient and polite. My experience is that they want to help you. Do keep us posted.

Hi all, I'm new to this Forum, so forgive me if I say anything stupid. I'm a San Mateo County resident (Redwood City), and have been my entire life with the exception of one year in Emeryville.

I have been a handgun owner for a while now and feel comfortable enough with my handgun to carry it. I am asking for some opinions on here because I can not contact the Sheriff's office about it because of a close relationship with the person I would normally ask (who is very anti-gun), and because I've not forums much other information on it in forums.

I own an audio business and run sound for events. I regularly tow a trailer with about half a million dollars worth of gear in it with a truck that has my company name including advertising equipment for concerts, events, etc. on the side of it. I also work alone, and am loading my trailer late at night for over an hour leaving it open, and have had equipment stolen from an event site twice. Now I think I would have "Good Cause" for Sheriff Munks, but I've also seen plenty that around here that the expectation of victimization is not considered "good cause". Now I don't have a bag full of money that I carry around, but what's in my equipment trailer is my life and career, and I consider it more valuable to me than a bag of money.

I would love to get some outside opinions on the relationship between "expectation of victimization" and "protecting large sums of valuable equipment" with regard to San Mateo County's CCW's.

I very much appreciate any input or response on here, and any outside information I get I'll happily share here!!

Python2
02-09-2013, 6:53 AM
While I am not the one to decide, I think you have a "good cause". I recommend you write a letter, listing every case of theft from your trailer including police case number (you did call them to report, right?). List any case were there was a "strange" activity that might have lead to a "dangerous" one, even if it didn't. Explain why it is important that you keep doing this job. List your gun training and qualification. Tell them how you are a long time, good, contributing resident of San Mateo CO. Call the Sheriff office and ask to speak to the person handling LTC permits. Be patient and polite. My experience is that they want to help you. Do keep us posted.

While I believe the current sheriff is better than the previous who I had the experience applying for CCW, theft in my opinion is not a good cause. I think you have good cause but you need to articulate writing your good cause that focus on threat to yourself. Good luck

MEU_SOC
02-10-2013, 2:25 PM
AFAIK, if you use work in your good cause, they will contact your employer.

Can anyone confirm this? What does the call entail?

I have to imagine that anything besides a verification of employment would be a violation of your personal privacy.

TIA

gose
02-12-2013, 2:06 PM
Can anyone confirm this? What does the call entail?
I have to imagine that anything besides a verification of employment would be a violation of your personal privacy.
TIA

From the form...

I understand that I am obligated to be complete and truthful in providing information on this application. I understand that all of the information disclosed by me in this application may be subject to public disclosure.

and

The licensee authorizes the licensing agency to investigate, as they deem necessary, the licensee's record and character to ascertain any and all information which may concern his/her qualifications and justification to be issued a license to carry a concealed weapon and release said agency of any and all liability arising out of such investigation.

So if youre worried about privacy, you probably shouldnt apply.

SoundENGR
02-14-2013, 7:24 PM
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I guess Python2's response is what I'm after. Speaking on the matter of theft, no it does not put my life in danger (well, it hasn't), but I do, however, live off of what is in my trailer, and off of what has been stolen (and yes both incidents have police reports). As a startup business, things that have been stolen from me are my livelihood and loosing them means not paying bills and rent, so that makes me biased when it comes to the matter of whether or not it's "good cause" (hence asking for other opinions!).

The "good cause" part though I think may be offset a little by the "moral character" side. Throughout my life I've regularly helped the sheriff's office with various efforts, volunteered my time with them providing services that helped them find criminals, etc., and even have a commendation from the the last sheriff. I think based on this I am still going to apply, though it may not be for a few months (waiting until the shop I go to get's that new S&W Shield that I've been wanting to try out), but if I do I will absolutely tell you all about the process and outcome, and include as much detail as I can in hopes that it will help others.

Thanks again for the comments, I REALLY appreciate it!!

taperxz
02-14-2013, 7:48 PM
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I guess Python2's response is what I'm after. Speaking on the matter of theft, no it does not put my life in danger (well, it hasn't), but I do, however, live off of what is in my trailer, and off of what has been stolen (and yes both incidents have police reports). As a startup business, things that have been stolen from me are my livelihood and loosing them means not paying bills and rent, so that makes me biased when it comes to the matter of whether or not it's "good cause" (hence asking for other opinions!).

The "good cause" part though I think may be offset a little by the "moral character" side. Throughout my life I've regularly helped the sheriff's office with various efforts, volunteered my time with them providing services that helped them find criminals, etc., and even have a commendation from the the last sheriff. I think based on this I am still going to apply, though it may not be for a few months (waiting until the shop I go to get's that new S&W Shield that I've been wanting to try out), but if I do I will absolutely tell you all about the process and outcome, and include as much detail as I can in hopes that it will help others.

If you don't have a hard core threat with stuff that won't hurt to be stolen or insured you will not get a license, right now anyway. You need to articulate a real need.

jimhu
02-14-2013, 7:48 PM
Theft can easily lead to violence and violence is a good cause. My suggestion is to go ahead and apply with all your good causes and all your good background. And as far as the S&W Shield goes it will be there long before your range date. Unless of course I get to the store first :-)

taperxz
02-14-2013, 7:50 PM
Theft can easily lead to violence and violence is a good cause. My suggestion is to go ahead and apply with all your good causes and all your good background. And as far as the S&W Shield goes it will be there long before your range date. Unless of course I get to the store first :-)

Please! This Sheriff wants more than this.

jimhu
02-14-2013, 8:11 PM
Please! This Sheriff wants more than this.

I am not sure where you got this information, but my experience was different.

taperxz
02-14-2013, 8:20 PM
I am not sure where you got this information, but my experience was different.

Look at some of my posts above regarding successful apps. Many have asked me to help and their good causes were rejected as i told them it would be. They are looking for hard core reasons now. They are going in and out like the tide for good cause right now under the political climate.

Gray Peterson
02-14-2013, 9:06 PM

The purpose of the carry permit is not to prevent theft. The purpose of the carry permit is that in case you come across the thieves, thieves who go for high price scores may be tempted to murder you.

thedrickel
02-17-2013, 7:39 PM
Just massage it a little bit and with the connections you mention I think you have a good chance. Certainly worth applying.

Jchung139
05-02-2013, 8:34 PM
I've done my 16 hr ccw class recently and I've clicked the link in the first post with San Mateo County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms and found the link dead.

Is there a new link? I've been searching via google on it and can't seem to pin point exact site. Even tried going through SMC website. Any help would be very useful!

Another thing, if you do carry, what do you carry?

edwardm
05-03-2013, 6:16 AM
I've done my 16 hr ccw class recently and I've clicked the link in the first post with San Mateo County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms and found the link dead.

Is there a new link? I've been searching via google on it and can't seem to pin point exact site. Even tried going through SMC website. Any help would be very useful!

This form will do (and the exemplar is useful to review).

http://calgunsfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf

Other than that form, you'll need to call the SO and make an appointment. Unless personnel have changed, Veronica Ruiz (who I believe is not in the office on Friday) is the person to speak with re: scheduling and specific questions. She's a very nice lady.

Jchung139
05-04-2013, 7:16 PM
This form will do (and the exemplar is useful to review).

http://calgunsfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf

Other than that form, you'll need to call the SO and make an appointment. Unless personnel have changed, Veronica Ruiz (who I believe is not in the office on Friday) is the person to speak with re: scheduling and specific questions. She's a very nice lady.

Thank you very much edwardm! If I can't contact the SO, I'll just have my neighbor, who's a Sheriff LT, try to help me get a hold of him, plus help me out on my app.

Silent_move
05-05-2013, 5:49 PM
To all of you that wish to carry conceald, just join the pd like i did.

mud99
05-05-2013, 6:14 PM

No thanks.

Not sure if you are trying to be obnoxious or are you just new around here? LTC is a sore subject for a lot of people on here.

jimhu
05-05-2013, 6:22 PM
Great, where do I sign in?

using Tapatalk 2

unusedusername
05-05-2013, 7:45 PM

I'm sorry to have to point this put this way, but do you have any idea how insulting that statement is?

Hopefully you can learn ....

Python2
05-06-2013, 6:19 AM
To all of you that wish to carry concealed, just join the pd like i did.

So you joined PD just to be able to carry concealed? I can just imagine how you are going to turn out as a cop.

gose
05-06-2013, 10:05 AM

That class isnt needed for SM though. You'll have to take the SMSD class anyway, which is an evening class with lecture and qualification at Coyote Point.

kf6tac
05-13-2013, 12:47 AM

The PD will totally be cool with me practicing law full time and never actually doing any police work, right?

odysseus
05-13-2013, 12:52 AM

:facepalm:

phaseshift
08-25-2013, 7:43 AM
so I live in san mateo county now, can someone point me in the right direction on how to get things started.

how many of you have successfully applied for and received your CCW?

edwardm
08-26-2013, 12:04 PM
so I live in san mateo county now, can someone point me in the right direction on how to get things started.

how many of you have successfully applied for and received your CCW?

Start here:

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/carry-license-sunshine-and-compliance-initiative/

Use the Standard Application Form. Follow the directions. Once you have it, call the SO and make an appointment to drop it off. Note that the "drop off" (at least in the past) has turned into the "interview", picture taking, Livescan, etc.

Unless much has changed since last year, you'll drop it off at the SO in Redwood City (County Center complex, 2nd floor IIRC). Do the interview and the rest of the busywork, then wait and see what happens.

Some here have received them, some here have not. Munks does not hand them out like candy on Halloween. He does, however, issue for 'elevated' good cause (something more than bare self-defense).

PoohRacing
09-06-2013, 12:15 AM
hi everyone. im new to the forum and I just moved to smc. I know I need to have my dl changed over, is there anything else I need to show proof of residency? thanks!!

played
09-12-2013, 9:39 AM
Updates?

HappyDonut
10-30-2013, 5:27 PM
Hello,
Well I read through the thread, lots of great information included.
Just wanted to say the link in the first comment doesn't work. Also wanted to ask if there were any one successful in obtaining their license.

Lastly, is there anyone that can help me draft a good cause statement?

Paladin
11-02-2013, 4:48 AM
Hello,
Well I read through the thread, lots of great information included.
Just wanted to say the link in the first comment doesn't work. Also wanted to ask if there were any one successful in obtaining their license.

Lastly, is there anyone that can help me draft a good cause statement?Yes, the link was to old data. New data is being collected and processed and will be posted (sometime).

You do know that the Richards case, suing Yolo Co. sheriff's office, was heard by the 9th Circuit last December and that we're expecting a decision sometime before NEXT November, right?

Unless you have a very strong reason ("Good Cause" -- GC) for being issued a CCW (waaaay beyond just wanting to be able to defend yourself should you need to), you've got virtually zero chance of getting a CCW from the Yolo sheriff or Davis PD. (You show Davis as your location.) If you do have such a GC, you may want to get in touch w/"Team Billy Jack" (google it). They may be able to help you now. Otherwise, you're like the rest of us law-abiding citizens in CA, eagerly awaiting the 9th's decision in the Richards-Peruta cases to see if the federal courts will recognize what the 2nd A BoR was meant to protect: our pre-existing RKBA for self-defense.

You may want to review the info at:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/128329814/The-Calguns-Foundation-report-on-California-Carry-License-Issuance-statewide-and-by-county-2011

That's for the 2010 - 2011 year. They are working on the 2011 - 2012 data.

HappyDonut
11-05-2013, 5:20 PM
Gotcha,
Thanks for the helpful information Paladin. This is probably a cue that I should be staying up to date on all the information in California.

NorCalAthlete
11-06-2013, 8:37 AM
FYI, Tom Merson has now retired and no longer handles CCW/LTC applications for San Mateo County. A woman named Veronica handles renewals and another woman (don't recall her name, will post back tomorrow) handles new applications. Not sure how this may or may not affect good cause statements/what constitutes good cause.

edwardm
11-06-2013, 8:41 AM
How current is this information? I talk to people coming through the range for the Sheriff's CCW class, and I've heard what you said, and I've also heard from recent applicants that Tom Merson is still there. I know he only worked part time, but I was also told less than 2 weeks ago that Veronica was not with the SO any longer.

Just curious so I know who to call & pester for my renewal next May.

FYI, Tom Merson has now retired and no longer handles CCW/LTC applications for San Mateo County. A woman named Veronica handles renewals and another woman (don't recall her name, will post back tomorrow) handles new applications. Not sure how this may or may not affect good cause statements/what constitutes good cause.

gose
11-06-2013, 3:36 PM

Tom did the initial screening and interview.
Veronica is/was one of the assistants there and took a purely administrative part in the process (scheduling, payment, etc), so I doubt that she took over Tom's duties.

NorCalAthlete
11-06-2013, 7:11 PM
I posted that the day after I talked to her (so as of 11-5-13). I've left voicemails for Tom over the last few weeks that went unreturned, so instead of asking for his line I simply asked to speak to someone about the LTC/CCWs now and was put through to Veronica who told me the information I posted. When I first started calling a few weeks ago I was told he only works on Tuesdays, and then yesterday was told he retired.

NorCalAthlete
11-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Ok, so got things clarified - Tom IS retired, but still works there two days a week (always Tuesdays, other day flex but usually Monday or Wednesday - I don't recall exactly which I just remember filing it away that it bracketed Tuesday). Tom handles new applications, Veronica just processes renewals. Apparently, renewals will be required to reiterate their good cause statement and take a quiz at the refresher course at the range prior to doing the shooting portion. Just an FYI for the thread.

Laddy
11-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I am by no means anywhere near an expert on CCW, and really just cruise through this forum now and again. Fast approaching middle age, and a life long resident of San Mateo County, how opptimistic should I become at this point?

What am I missing?

played
11-12-2013, 1:54 AM
I am by no means anywhere near an expert on CCW, and really just cruise through this forum now and again. Fast approaching middle age, and a life long resident of San Mateo County, how opptimistic should I become at this point?

What am I missing?

Waiting for the same question to be answered.

-hanko
11-12-2013, 9:08 AM

What am I missing?
I would and have become completely the opposite of optimistic.

You're missing any opportunity to carry concealed, legally.

-hanko

Paladin
11-14-2013, 4:59 AM
Gotcha,
Thanks for the helpful information Paladin. This is probably a cue that I should be staying up to date on all the information in California.I see now that I answered your Q acc. to your current "Location" (Davis), as opposed to where you asked (in the San Mateo forum).

FWIW, from what I've read, SM currently isn't any easier than Yolo for law-abiding citizens to get a CCW w/mere "self-defense" as their Good Cause. So, either way, you're in the same boat w/most of us law-abiding Californians -- having your RKBA significantly INFRINGED by "politicians w/badges & guns" (CLEOs), who have sworn to uphold the Constitution, in the BoR, incl the 2nd A! :mad:

gose
11-14-2013, 10:25 AM
To all of you just sitting around waiting, how about spending some time writing down good causes and sending in the applications instead?

Worst case, you're out $95, but you get a good story out of it ;)

ETA: edited to avoid confusion

played
11-14-2013, 10:27 AM
To all of you just sitting around waiting, how about spending some time crafting your good causes and sending in the applications instead?

Rather spend the 95 on ammo:cool2:

naeco81
11-14-2013, 10:35 AM
If anyone here has used Team Billy Jack can you please share your experience. It's hard to get an idea for how his process works from the website - reads like a sales pitch.

Laddy
11-15-2013, 10:45 AM
To all of you just sitting around waiting, how about spending some time crafting your good causes and sending in the applications instead?

I would probably caution against "crafting" good-cause on a legal statement you sign and submit to the police.

gose
11-15-2013, 12:25 PM
I would probably caution against "crafting" good-cause on a legal statement you sign and submit to the police.

Good point, I edited my original post.
I absolutely didnt mean to imply that people should be making stuff up and lie on the application. What I meant was that they should sit down and spend some good time thinking about their situation and write down a good explanation why they have a heightened risk.

Paladin
11-21-2013, 8:59 AM
If anyone wants to organize to get more CCWers in San Mateo, see:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=818852

Hyperite
12-26-2013, 5:02 PM
Hi guys! First post here. I'm planning to move to San Mateo from Sacramento in 2014, and currently have a CCW permit from Sacramento County, issued with "For personal protection" as my "good cause". Will having a permit from another county put me in a favorable position to keep it when I move? (the possibility of losing it for moving is crazy to me. The reality that I can currently carry concealed in SF, but not if I moved there, is ridiculous). I am not at an "elevated" risk, and have no plans to manufacture one, just a law abiding citizen that never leaves the house without one.

gose
12-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi guys! First post here. I'm planning to move to San Mateo from Sacramento in 2014, and currently have a CCW permit from Sacramento County, issued with "For personal protection" as my "good cause". Will having a permit from another county put me in a favorable position to keep it when I move? (the possibility of losing it for moving is crazy to me. The reality that I can currently carry concealed in SF, but not if I moved there, is ridiculous). I am not at an "elevated" risk, and have no plans to manufacture one, just a law abiding citizen that never leaves the house without one.

"For personal protection" isnt going to give you a CCW in San Mateo, no matter if you have one from another county or not.

mud99
12-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Are you required to give up the CCW when you move?

Laddy
12-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Are you required to give up the CCW when you move?

When moving out of the county of issue, yes.

RogueSniper
12-28-2013, 6:24 PM
If it was feasible, I would commute to SF for work and stay in Sacramento County to keep my License.

Hyperite
01-02-2014, 7:24 PM
If it was feasible, I would commute to SF for work and stay in Sacramento County to keep my License.

Yeah, but that's not really reasonable :no:

Paladin
01-03-2014, 6:36 PM
If it was feasible, I would commute to SF for work and stay in Sacramento County to keep my License.This was discussed a few weeks ago in the License to Carry Discussion forum and I pointed out that Solano readily issues nowadays and that Vallejo or Benecia are a heck of a lot closer to SF than Sacto.

ETA: here's the link: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=862997
See my posts, #4 & 18

taperxz
01-09-2014, 2:02 PM
It now appears that San Mateo county will only issue to unincorporated residents of the county as a stand alone agency.

If you are in an incorporated city, you must now apply with the local Chief of Police.

edwardm
01-09-2014, 2:31 PM
It now appears that San Mateo county will only issue to unincorporated residents of the county as a stand alone agency.

If you are in an incorporated city, you must now apply with the local Chief of Police.

What makes you say that?

Last week I scheduled my range day (called the office) for renewal. My file was pulled up, etc. and nothing was mentioned about local CoP.

Is this for new apps only?

taperxz
01-09-2014, 3:29 PM
What makes you say that?

Last week I scheduled my range day (called the office) for renewal. My file was pulled up, etc. and nothing was mentioned about local CoP.

Is this for new apps only?

Application process:
San Mateo County has developed a uniform application form for use throughout the various policing jurisdictions within the county. This application must be completed and submitted, along with the fee for service. The application must include a written explanation regarding the need to carry a concealed weapon.

The application will be reviewed during a personal interview with Support Services' staff at the time of submittal. Following the interview, an appointment for fingerprint submission will be obtained. An additional fee will be collected by the technician to pay for the processing of the print cards by the State of California, as part of the background investigation. This may take 6 to 8 weeks to process.

Upon determination that the issuance of a CCW permit is in order, the Chief of Police will forward a recommendation to issue the permit to the San Mateo Sheriff's Office, along with copies of the application and background investigation. The Sheriff's Office will continue the processing of the permit for issuance, and impose any clearly stated (if any) restrictions and/or condition the Chief has determined regarding the carrying of a concealed weapon. Reasonable limitations and restrictions imposed on an individual's CCW permit affect the time

This appears to be new. There may also be a possibility that not all city COP's want to get involved and will still defer to the county. The quote above is what i found on the City of San Mateo website and CGF also has the papers that show the same policy county wide.

Paladin
01-09-2014, 4:21 PM
The quote above is what i found on the City of San Mateo website
Link, please.

I was just at the SMPD website and did not see anything re. CCWs. http://sanmateopd.org/

taperxz
01-09-2014, 4:27 PM
Ill do one better.

http://calgunsfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/SanMateo.pdf

taperxz
01-09-2014, 4:31 PM
http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/index.aspx?nid=665

Laddy
01-09-2014, 5:35 PM
....San Carlos would apply with county Sheriff too, I would imagine.

Good information.

taperxz
01-09-2014, 5:38 PM
....San Carlos would apply with county Sheriff too, I would imagine.

Good information.

And Millbrae

edwardm
01-09-2014, 5:55 PM

The policy quoted here -> http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/index.aspx?NID=665

has been on the SMPD site for at least the last several years (I remember reading it in 2010).

The CGF-hosted document is odd. It makes reference in places to 1/1/1999 - 7/1/1999 for 1 year renewals, but I'm guessing it's post-2008, since that's when Trisha Sanchez became Assistant Sheriff. However, it could also have been a "crap we need a policy/document, dust off the existing one, update headers and push it out the door."

Regardless, it appears the paper document is at odds with reality and statute. It's no secret to the administrative staff where I live, where I lived when I applied 19 months ago, and where I live now when I called last week to schedule my range time for renewal. I wasn't even asked/instructed to do any paperwork. Just scheduled the range time, told to bring guns and ammo, then to head to the SO a week after with a check, etc.

And FWIW, I have no insider connection to the Sheriff, or special influence.

Oh, also, assuming the metadata is correct, the document was created/scanned in March 2013. I can point to at least 2 people who received CCW's after March 2013, residing in incorporated cities in San Mateo County.

taperxz
01-09-2014, 6:02 PM
The policy quoted here -> http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/index.aspx?NID=665

has been on the SMPD site for at least the last several years (I remember reading it in 2010).

The CGF-hosted document is odd. It makes reference in places to 1/1/1999 - 7/1/1999 for 1 year renewals, but I'm guessing it's post-2008, since that's when Trisha Sanchez became Assistant Sheriff. However, it could also have been a "crap we need a policy/document, dust off the existing one, update headers and push it out the door."

Regardless, it appears the paper document is at odds with reality and statute. It's no secret to the administrative staff where I live, where I lived when I applied 19 months ago, and where I live now when I called last week to schedule my range time for renewal. I wasn't even asked/instructed to do any paperwork. Just scheduled the range time, told to bring guns and ammo, then to head to the SO a week after with a check, etc.

And FWIW, I have no insider connection to the Sheriff, or special influence.

Oh, also, assuming the metadata is correct, the document was created/scanned in March 2013. I can point to at least 2 people who received CCW's after March 2013, residing in incorporated cities in San Mateo County.

I understand your point but in the LTC section of the forum (the general discussion) A San Bruno resident was rejected by the SO and told he needed to go through the Chief of Police in San Bruno first. Thats why i researched and pulled all this stuff up.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=877321

Laddy
01-10-2014, 6:43 AM
And Millbrae

I thought Millbrae has a local PD? The only reason I said San Carlos is that we lost our local PD a few years ago, and now are patrolled by the Sheriff Dept.

taperxz
01-10-2014, 7:14 AM
I thought Millbrae has a local PD? The only reason I said San Carlos is that we lost our local PD a few years ago, and now are patrolled by the Sheriff Dept.

Actually, the SMCSO took over Millbrae before they took over San Carlos for the same reason. Millbrae cars but Deputies in them.

edwardm
01-10-2014, 7:31 AM
Got it. But now it's just adding to the confusion about what is or isn't going on.

I understand your point but in the LTC section of the forum (the general discussion) A San Bruno resident was rejected by the SO and told he needed to go through the Chief of Police in San Bruno first. Thats why i researched and pulled all this stuff up.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=877321

taperxz
01-10-2014, 7:36 AM
Got it. But now it's just adding to the confusion about what is or isn't going on.

Sounds like the Chiefs in San Mateo county didn't like the Sheriffs new policy of limited issue. Now the Chiefs get to make the decision and the Sheriff is off the hook.

edwardm
01-10-2014, 7:44 AM
Sounds like the Chiefs in San Mateo county didn't like the Sheriffs new policy of limited issue. Now the Chiefs get to make the decision and the Sheriff is off the hook.

Perhaps. Still doesn't explain the lack of a roadblock in the renewal process. But from reading the policy, it doesn't sound like the CoP is the ultimate 'decider', necessarily.

Munks is up for election this year. I wonder if this has any relation. Endorsement-seeking, perhaps?

non sequitur
01-10-2014, 8:28 AM
The issuance of LTCs in San Mateo County did recently change. I was unable to find out exactly why it changed but it may due to some political maneuvering by the various police chiefs on the Peninsula. Since I know a few LEOs on the Peninsula who are involved in the LTC application process, here is what has been told to me:

All new LTC applicants who reside in unincorporated parts of San Mateo County must apply directly to the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office. This process includes all the usual procedural stuff… application review, background interview by Sheriff’s Office, Live Scan, training class and range qualification. Tom Merson is still the go to guy for LTCs at the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office. The best day to reach him is on a Tuesday.

All new LTC applicants who reside in the incorporated cities must apply through their local police department… the key word here is through. This new process now includes the local police department’s involvement. The new LTC applicant’s local police department will review the application for completeness; conduct the initial applicant interview, verify residency and conduct the background check which includes the Live Scan. Thereafter, the local Chief of Police will then transfer the application to the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office with a “recommendation.” The San Mateo County Sheriff’s office will then consider the local police chief’s “recommendation” and either deny the application or approve the application.

Ultimately, the San Mateo County Sheriff’s office remains the LTC Issuing Authority.

I’m not sure how this new LTC MOU will affect renewal applicants and the $1,000,000.00 liability insurance requirement has been deleted for all LTC applications pursuant to Penal Code 26190(g).

There is an MOU regarding LTCs between the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office and the respective police chiefs. I’ve seen this MOU with my own eyes but haven’t read the entire document. I imagine this newly amended LTC MOU, like any other MOU policy, has been vetted by San Mateo County Counsel and the various city attorney folks.

It seems like County Counsel and the various city attorney folks are collectively interpreting Penal Code 26155(c) to support this new LTC MOU.

26155 (c) Nothing in this chapter shall preclude the chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city from entering an agreement with the sheriff of the county in which the city is located for the sheriff to process all applications for licenses, renewals of licenses, and amendments to licenses, pursuant to this chapter.

Does this mean this new LTC MOU is entirely legal and smart policy? Good question.

Good luck in San Mateo County!

Laddy
01-10-2014, 9:33 AM
This is all great information.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but the involvement of another enforcement agency, tasked with due diligence, and ultimately wether or not the application gets "moved forward" can't be good for an already involved process. Thoughts?

Paladin
01-10-2014, 10:08 AM
All new LTC applicants who reside in the incorporated cities must apply through their local police department… the key word here is through. This new process now includes the local police department’s involvement. The new LTC applicant’s local police department will review the application for completeness; conduct the initial applicant interview, verify residency and conduct the background check which includes the Live Scan. Thereafter, the local Chief of Police will then transfer the application to the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office with a “recommendation.” The San Mateo County Sheriff’s office will then consider the local police chief’s “recommendation” and either deny the application or approve the application.

Ultimately, the San Mateo County Sheriff’s office remains the LTC Issuing Authority.Does the SO also run its own background check? Does the SO also do its own interview? If not, it sounds like the sheriff is constructively delegating his responsibilities to the CoP and merely rubber stamping/signing off on the CoP's decision.

I ASSUME all steps in this questionable procedure are subject to PRARs and "interested parties" (:detective:) will be able to see if the sheriff has ever issued a CCW where the CoP opposed it, or if the sheriff has ever denied a CCW where the CoP supported it.

If the various CoPs have different standards of GC that they use in their recommendations to the sheriff and he "rubber stamps" acc to the CoP's wishes (or he uses a different GC standard for unincorporated areas), he may be opening himself to 14th A EP lawsuits....
:red_indian: :gura:

non sequitur
01-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Does the SO also run its own background check? Does the SO also do its own interview? If not, it sounds like the sheriff is constructively delegating his responsibilities to the CoP and merely rubber stamping/signing off on the CoP's decision.

I ASSUME all steps in this questionable procedure are subject to PRARs and "interested parties" (:detective:) will be able to see if the sheriff has ever issued a CCW where the CoP opposed it, or if the sheriff has ever denied a CCW where the CoP supported it.

If the various CoPs have different standards of GC that they use in their recommendations to the sheriff and he "rubber stamps" acc to the CoP's wishes (or he uses a different GC standard for unincorporated areas), he may be opening himself to 14th A EP lawsuits....
:red_indian: :gura:

My impression of the new LTC MOU, as it was explained to me, is that the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office does not conduct any additional applicant interview and / or additional background investigation in addition to the local police department’s initial due diligence. I do think this new LTC MOU policy was amended to include the local police chief’s input on potential LTC holders in his/her community.

You raise some very good points regarding the new LTC MOU especially the possibility of an unintended pissing contest between the Sheriff’s Office and the respective police chiefs on the matter of “my Sheriff’s good cause vs. your Chief’s good cause” and “police chief says no and sheriff says yes” or “police chief says yes and sheriff says no.”

It’s likely that County Counsel and the various city attorneys didn’t present the possibility of these alternative LTC issuance scenarios to the law enforcement executives seeking their counsel on a new LTC MOU. Of course, my experience has been that the best and brightest attorneys usually do not work in the County Counsel’s Office or City Attorneys Office.

I think Sheriff Munks will continue to issue LTCs based on the current “elevated good cause” standard and the local police chiefs will either accept it or they won’t.

taperxz
01-10-2014, 12:18 PM
The issuing agency is supposed to conduct that entire process. It is required by law that the Sheriff accept all CCW applications and have an internal process for accepting those applications.

By agreeing to do this, Sheriff Monks is putting up a screen to his CCW policy. He is also cowing down to CoP's who serve at the will of the those they were hired by. I see a legal problem with this statutorily.

Laddy
01-10-2014, 2:01 PM
The issuing agency is supposed to conduct that entire process. It is required by law that the Sheriff accept all CCW applications and have an internal process for accepting those applications.

By agreeing to do this, Sheriff Monks is putting up a screen to his CCW policy. He is also cowing down to CoP's who serve at the will of the those they were hired by. I see a legal problem with this statutorily.

That's a great point, taperxz. It'll be interesting to see the implied legalities going forward.

ASD1
01-10-2014, 2:32 PM
So what dose this mean to all (ok the couple people) that live in a city an have a CCW will they be able to just renew at the SO or will they have to reapply with local pd??

taperxz
01-10-2014, 2:33 PM
So what dose this mean to all (ok the couple people) that live in a city an have a CCW will they be able to just renew at the SO or will they have to reapply with local pd??

It looks like you would have to re apply with the city you live in. It appears this will be the new standard for San Mateo county

edwardm
01-10-2014, 6:23 PM
It looks like you would have to re apply with the city you live in. It appears this will be the new standard for San Mateo county

So why wasn't I told to reapply with my city?

taperxz
01-10-2014, 7:19 PM
So why wasn't I told to reapply with my city?

Why don't you ask your Sheriff? I'm only going by what i am reading. If i'm wrong then i guess your Sheriff has some THANG going on with the CoP in the area.

kaligaran
01-10-2014, 7:44 PM

You renew through the sheriff's office.

taperxz
01-10-2014, 7:46 PM
You renew through the sheriff's office.

How do you know this? If the Sheriff requires the CoP to sign off on good cause, which is required on the renewal....

kaligaran
01-10-2014, 7:53 PM
How do you know this? If the Sheriff requires the CoP to sign off on good cause, which is required on the renewal....

Because I'm going through a renewal.

taperxz
01-10-2014, 8:33 PM
Because I'm going through a renewal.

This just started. So you might want to see what happens in two years.

kaligaran
01-10-2014, 8:36 PM
This just started. So you might want to see what happens in two years.

I just started the renewal process this year (2014).

taperxz
01-10-2014, 8:43 PM
I just started the renewal process this week.

OK, like is said renewal may be fine now but we will see in two years unless someone stops this. :)

There is only 160 ltc's in the county so its probably not on their priority list at this point which is good for now.

Paladin
01-14-2014, 4:00 PM
Just posted this in the Merced thread, but it applies here too since SM is now requiring folks in cities to turn in their CCW apps to the CoP, not the sheriff.

We just won the Lu case against LASO. No more "you have to apply first and get denied before applying w/the SO" illegal requirements anymore!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=545848&page=16

If there is no appeal by LA, [San Mateo] will have to fall in line pretty fast. Even if there is an appeal, not sure a court will stay the trial court's ruling pending the appeal. IOW, things will improve in [San Mateo], just not sure if immediately.

taperxz
01-14-2014, 4:09 PM
Just posted this in the Merced thread, but it applies here too since SM is now requiring folks in cities to turn in their CCW apps to the CoP, not the sheriff.

We just won the Lu case against LASO. No more "you have to apply first and get denied before applying w/the SO" illegal requirements anymore!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=545848&page=16

If there is no appeal by LA, [San Mateo] will have to fall in line pretty fast. Even if there is an appeal, not sure a court will stay the trial court's ruling pending the appeal. IOW, things will improve in [San Mateo], just not sure if immediately.

I certainly doubt this will be appealed by LA. They are simply being forced to follow what is already CA law.

RogueSniper
02-13-2014, 3:22 PM
When should I start preparing my paperwork with the news from the 9th Circuit?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=893372

edwardm
02-13-2014, 4:24 PM
I've been asked this so many times today, that if I had a nickel for each...I'd need a dump truck.

I say "Not yet, perhaps not any time soon."

There could be a petition for rehearing en banc. That would be 11 on the panel, vs. 3 from the decision just handed down. That means more paperwork, more arguments, and more waiting.

I don't do Federal appellate practice, but my reading of FRAP Rule 4, Rule 35 and the Circuit rules leads me to think a petition for rehearing could pop up in the next 14 days (a deadline which can apparently be extended by the court) If I'm mistaken in my read of Rule 4, then it could be as far out as 60 days, or more, before we know if there will be any further action.

I say let this development sink in and see who makes the next move (if any).

hoffmang
02-13-2014, 8:41 PM

Ask again in about 14 days. There are reasons the answer may be more favorable.

-Gene

thedrickel
02-13-2014, 8:52 PM
F that, I'm going to return the sheriff's favor and send in a new app tomorrow or Monday.

"I wish to acquire a permit to carry a firearm for the lawful purpose of self defense." (Round 2)

I don't think there is going to be an en banc hearing, and I think only an idiot would appeal to the supreme court, they are going to affirm!

unusedusername
02-13-2014, 9:03 PM
I don't think there is going to be an en banc hearing, and I think only an idiot would appeal to the supreme court, they are going to affirm!

I agree with you about en banc, however SD has proven themselves to be idiots many times in the past.

Please do post what they say about if they plan to change their policies though. I'm going to ask them the same thing tomorrow.

dk94044
02-14-2014, 6:52 AM
Does anyone know if there are range qualification criteria for the CCW in San Mateo County, # yrds, # rds, and/or # points? The SMCO SO website is a jumbled mess of tabs and links that go nowhere.

edwardm
02-14-2014, 8:36 AM
Yes, there are criteria. The San Mateo CCW app on calgunsfoundation.org lists them. They mostly seem in line with what I remember from May 2012. Some things are incorrect, however. The SO lets you list more than 1 firearm on your permit, for example. and no one cared that one pistol was owned prior to the registration requirement went into effect (bought prior to the end of FTF transactions) for another applicant. Also, there was no issue with drawing from an OWB holster (i.e. a Serpa).

Staff has changed a bit, and I haven't asked what that means (if anything) in terms of the procedures for qualification. You could always call the Range Master and ask. He might even be OK with setting up a time for you to come by the range and see where the magic happens and how things are set up.

Does anyone know if there are range qualification criteria for the CCW in San Mateo County, # yrds, # rds, and/or # points? The SMCO SO website is a jumbled mess of tabs and links that go nowhere.

hoffmang
02-16-2014, 8:03 PM
The range qualification issues are significantly less rigorous in practice and I believe the most handguns on a San Mateo permit are 5 in practice - though there really is no limit beyond the practical of the fact that you must shoot them all and you annoy the nice RSO by keeping him way too late.

Once you're approved for the LTC, the range deputies are very happy to be getting you issued.

-Gene

RogueSniper
02-16-2014, 8:47 PM

I looked around and found that someone from Sacramento said:

6 rounds, mag change, 6 rounds at 15 yards in 45 seconds
6 rounds, mag change, 6 rounds at 7 yards in 30 seconds
6 rounds, mag change, 6 rounds at 3 yards in 15 seconds

The target is a TQ15 and scored shots must hit inside the larger square. A scored of 31/36 is passing.

And someone from Kern county said:

We had to shoot 15, 12, 10, 7, and 3 yards. 6 shots at each distance. The time went from 30 seconds incrementally* downward as the target came closer. B27 silhouette target, had to hit the center mass gray.

*I'm guessing they mean 6shot/30sec @15yd; 6/25sec @12yd; 6/20sec @10yd; 6/15sec @7yd; and 6/10sec @3yd

When I took my CCW class in Sacramento, back in 1990, we shot at B27 targets. All shots had to stay within the 8-ring.

gose
02-18-2014, 11:16 AM

The total should be 48, and I think the break down is:
12 rounds @ 3 y, strong hand only
12 @ 7y
12 @ 10y
12 @ 15y

Drawn from concealment. I think a passing score is 80%, but if you cant get 100% on this, you probably shouldnt be carrying....

unusedusername
02-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Has anyone been able to get a hold of the CCW person at SMSD since last week?

My phone message has not been returned...

hoffmang
02-18-2014, 9:05 PM
Has anyone been able to get a hold of the CCW person at SMSD since last week?

My phone message has not been returned...

Call and ask for Captain John Quinlan.

-Gene

javaduke
02-19-2014, 6:57 AM
Folks, I've read through the entire thread, but I'm still very confused. Can anyone please clarify the process of obtaining an LTC to me? The SMSO web site lists multiple numbers, which one am I supposed to call? I also found two different application forms, one seems to be newer than the other, which one should I use?
The form instructions say that Sections 6, 7 and 8 must be completed in the presence of an official - so do I have to fill out my "good cause" and the rest of the info BEFORE submitting an initial application, or only when my interview is scheduled?
And how about the city PD vs the sheriff's office? If I live in Foster City, do I have to contact the FCPD first or not?
Sorry for so many questions, but there's a lot of mixed info here and not one clear set of instructions.

UPDATE: I got all the info I needed, thanks everyone who responded in PM.

gemini1
02-20-2014, 7:43 PM
Yes, there are criteria. The San Mateo CCW app on calgunsfoundation.org lists them. They mostly seem in line with what I remember from May 2012. Some things are incorrect, however. The SO lets you list more than 1 firearm on your permit, for example. and no one cared that one pistol was owned prior to the registration requirement went into effect (bought prior to the end of FTF transactions) for another applicant. Also, there was no issue with drawing from an OWB holster (i.e. a Serpa).

Staff has changed a bit, and I haven't asked what that means (if anything) in terms of the procedures for qualification. You could always call the Range Master and ask. He might even be OK with setting up a time for you to come by the range and see where the magic happens and how things are set up.

Suppose you have just one firearm listed on the LTC permit, and later on acquired another, can you request this new firearm to just be added on your permit, or do you need to show or go through qualification for the new firearm?
Also is there a minimum caliber requirements for LTC?

edwardm
02-20-2014, 7:51 PM
You may add or change at a later date, but you will have to go through the qualification.

Did this when one listed firearm went in for repairs. Factory replaced it, so the S/N changed. Same make, same model, same caliber. Still had to qualify to get it listed (annoying).

Suppose you have just one firearm listed on the LTC permit, and later on acquired another, can you request this new firearm to just be added on your permit, or do you need to show or go through qualification for the new firearm?
Also is there a minimum caliber requirements for LTC?

hoffmang
02-20-2014, 9:15 PM
Did this when one listed firearm went in for repairs. Factory replaced it, so the S/N changed. Same make, same model, same caliber. Still had to qualify to get it listed (annoying).

But you did get free range time where you could draw from a holster and get tips if you want 'em.

-Gene

jimbaran
02-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Much appreciate for anyone who can chime in on this.

My application was denied in December 2012. Should I re-apply? or can I still make an appeal? I'd like to call the SMSO (Capt. John Quinlan - per Gene's post at the above) but not sure what to say.

I was going to call them to ask whether I should re-apply or make an appeal, but should I say that I re-visited this because of the ruling? Thank you so much for any help on this.

Corato
02-21-2014, 10:49 AM
My understanding to the threads is that the time for it to go en band etc. will be up on March 6th. If I read it write the lower court should order the enforcement on the 6th or 7th.

kaligaran
02-21-2014, 1:00 PM

I have a thread on when I went through this process 2 years ago which include the range qualifications HERE (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=506234).

The qualifications then were:
48 rounds total, per gun.
12 rounds at 3 yards 1 handed
12 rounds at 5 yards 2 handed
12 rounds at 8 yards 2 handed
12 rounds at 11 yards 2 handed

You have to get 37 of 48 (if I recall correctly). If you have a wheel gun it's 10 rounds at each distance instead of 12.

I'm actually taking the class again this Sunday for the renewal and will update the thread with the renewal proceedure and if the range qualifications have changed.

Laddy
02-21-2014, 2:50 PM
Thanks Kaligaran, I for one would be really interested in knowing what procedures currently are in place.

ghostrider4evr
02-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Would anyone be kind enough to explain the CCW application procedure? I reside in South San Francisco. Thank you in advance.

11bravo1p
02-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know if the SMCSO will waive the training requirement if you have been Active Duty Military? I know that you will still need to prove you are quailified on a live fire range for the Sheriff, but can a DD214 be used in lieu of taking the 16 hours of individual training classes first?

thanks

code33
02-22-2014, 1:55 PM
Haven't heard that they will accept a DD214 in lieu of their course.

Unless things have changed recently:
SMCSO does the training class at Coyote Point once a month on a Sunday evening.
It is 4 hrs long, including qualification. Longer, if you need to stick around to qualify with more guns.

Does anyone know if the SMCSO will waive the training requirement if you have been Active Duty Military? I know that you will still need to prove you are quailified on a live fire range for the Sheriff, but can a DD214 be used in lieu of taking the 16 hours of individual training classes first?

thanks

Laddy
02-22-2014, 3:13 PM
the training class at Coyote Point once a month on a Sunday evening.
It is 4 hrs long, including qualification. Longer, if you need to stick around to qualify with more guns.

So you can only qualify with .22 rimfires, then?

I kid, I kid :)

Mad-B-Man
02-22-2014, 5:07 PM
So I was looking at Daly City PD's fees and they want 410 dollars for a new CCW permit :eek:

gose
02-22-2014, 6:36 PM
So you can only qualify with .22 rimfires, then?
I kid, I kid :)

You can shoot centerfire handguns at CP, as long as youre an RO and member of the club.

11bravo1p
02-22-2014, 8:52 PM
So I was looking at Daly City PD's fees and they want 410 dollars for a new CCW permit :eek:

I dont think that is legal. If I had the link handy i would include it, but I read a post from Librarian that has a breakdown of the associated costs allowable by law. I think the max is at around $210.00. If i find it I will repost it.

11bravo1p
02-22-2014, 8:59 PM
Actually more like $270.00

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=388997

LTC Penal Code and FAQ

gemini1
02-23-2014, 4:54 PM
I have a thread on when I went through this process 2 years ago which include the range qualifications HERE (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=506234).

The qualifications then were:
48 rounds total, per gun.
12 rounds at 3 yards 1 handed
12 rounds at 5 yards 2 handed
12 rounds at 8 yards 2 handed
12 rounds at 11 yards 2 handed

You have to get 37 of 48 (if I recall correctly). If you have a wheel gun it's 10 rounds at each distance instead of 12.

I'm actually taking the class again this Sunday for the renewal and will update the thread with the renewal proceedure and if the range qualifications have changed.

So how did you class go? was there any change from the previous one youi've taken?
As for the qualifications for the firearms you plan to carry, are you required to simulate shooting your gun holstered (IWB/OWB)?. So are holsters required?
Just curious since I have a compact 22 that fits the pockets of jackets or jeans?

Thanks.

hoffmang
02-23-2014, 5:52 PM
So how did you class go? was there any change from the previous one youi've taken?
As for the qualifications for the firearms you plan to carry, are you required to simulate shooting your gun holstered (IWB/OWB)?. So are holsters required?
Just curious since I have a compact 22 that fits the pockets of jackets or jeans?

Thanks.

As of late last year, classes had not changed.

You need a holster for a few of your guns. They understand if you have one or two that you'll have to not draw but they RSOs want to see that you can successfully draw from a holster and they want you to get some practice time doing so as it's hard to find a range that will let you draw from a holster.

-Gene

kaligaran
02-23-2014, 10:56 PM

You need a holster for a few of your guns. They understand if you have one or two that you'll have to not draw but they RSOs want to see that you can successfully draw from a holster and they want you to get some practice time doing so as it's hard to find a range that will let you draw from a holster.

-Gene

Yes, the class hasn't changed. The same qualifications are there.

The first time I took the class, I had a holster for one gun and didn't yet have a good holster for my second. This class, I had two pretty new holsters (IWB Crossbreed holsters). I have been practicing drawing at home with snap caps but without firing live rounds, it's hard to tell if you're doing anything 'wrong'. For me, I apparently holster draw without my hand being all the way up on the grip due to a bad cant for my draw.

After they pointed this out to me (after having TWO fail to feeds :eek::facepalm:), it's became extremely obvious to me when I practiced again at home after the class so I immediately went and ordered some different clips to fix this problem.

Bad time to learn is when you take the class and was rather embarrassing to have two fail to feeds. So long story short, make sure that when you practice at home, you have the proper form in every way since it's so different than when you just shoot at a range where you're not drawing from a holster.
Best is to have a gun savvy friend critique your draw and hold on the weapon.

Sorry for the wall of text, it was on my mind as I typed this. :)

kaligaran
02-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Actually more like $270.00

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=388997

LTC Penal Code and FAQ

Two years ago the cost for the San Mateo CCW was $95 for the live scan and another $100 to the state/county. So total was $195 for the initial permit process. If it's now $270 then it's gone up.

The renewal is $77 total.

The class is included in those fees.

edwardm
02-24-2014, 4:25 AM

Thanks.

The qualification criteria remain unchanged. Gene hit on holsters - they will let you draw OWB or IWB. They will also let you draw from a pocket holster (did this with the last gun, as I have a nice convertible IWB/pocket holster for it).

Five guns got me a little crap (very little), and at first I thought said crap was w/out merit. On consideration of my targets, I noticed something interesting. My training schedule fell off badly in the last 8 months (usually was 1x/month, lucky if I was out 2x/3 months last year). Guns I know and have used all my life (1911 platform) I was complacent with and shot terribly. I decided to point-shoot my 1911's at the 3 yard/1 hand stage. Dumb. Guns that I don't shoot regularly I 'snapped' into as the first round went downrange. Perception/psychology issue, completely. Lesson learned, sessions calendared. :)

Powerpoint/class is unchanged, but PC #'s are updated (good). My advice - get, pre-load and bring as many reliable magazines/speedloaders for your pistols as possible - loading magazines is just one less distraction.

Also, don't pound a 20oz. RedBull an hour before you shoot. Finally, nice to meet another Calgunner last night, though there was little opportunity to chat.

edwardm
02-24-2014, 4:35 AM
I have been practicing drawing at home with snap caps but without firing live rounds, it's hard to tell if you're doing anything 'wrong'. For me, I apparently holster draw without my hand being all the way up on the grip due to a bad cant for my draw.

Another instructor and friend of mine taught me a technique that makes obtaining a proper grip on any pistol an 'autopilot' activity - 'index' your grip stage with the web between your thumb & trigger finger. As the hand goes to the gun, almost shove the web into the deepest part of the backstrap, wrap all fingers, minus trigger finger around the grip, lift & break leather, rotate, then continue with the presentation. Just a suggestion that may help - in the end, do what works consistently for you.

Bad time to learn is when you take the class and was rather embarrassing to have two fail to feeds. So long story short, make sure that when you practice at home, you have the proper form in every way since it's so different than when you just shoot at a range where you're not drawing from a holster.
Best is to have a gun savvy friend critique your draw and hold on the weapon.

This is not meant to be patronizing, but I have seen far, far worse performances out there. Our class had its collective sh*t together last night. Go sit in on amateur night some time - it is both horrifying and entertaining. :facepalm:

javaduke
02-24-2014, 5:44 AM

-Gene

This is what the document that I got from SMCSO says:

Additionally each applicant is required to bring and use a concealable holster with some form of positive locking device. Positive locking device means that the weapon is held in by some piece of the holster that must be released or manipulated for the weapon to be removed from the holster.

However, most IWB holsters that I saw (and also the plastic holster that comes with my XDs) don't have any kind of locking device. Can anyone please clarify this? What kind of holster do I have to buy for this class? Any recommendations?

Many thanks!

edwardm
02-24-2014, 6:11 AM
This is what the document that I got from SMCSO says:

However, most IWB holsters that I saw (and also the plastic holster that comes with my XDs) don't have any kind of locking device. Can anyone please clarify this? What kind of holster do I have to buy for this class? Any recommendations?

Many thanks!

The SO is not doing 'holster checks' at the class. Any decent IWB or OWB holster will do. I prefer Don Hume IWB's for 1911's and the G30SF. I used a Galco for another, and here's where it gets good...

I used a home-made leather IWB for my Smith. :)

They are also not stodgy about drawing from the holster for every single string of fire. Some students using appendix carry get a 'warm' feeling after the gun is warm. They are quite OK with letting you keep at low-ready between strings if you're going to otherwise burn yourself.

Here is a key takeaway:

The class is there for two reasons.

First, to familiarize you with some of the legal aspects of carry and some of the county policies on carry (i.e. no carry in bars, no drinking while carrying - these policies are common sense, not odious).

Second, to force you to demonstrate competence in the handling and use of a firearm at all levels - from handling and holster draw, to being able to put rounds on-target. The SO does not expect Miculek-like speed or accuracy, nor do they expect you to be able to strip-and-assemble your carry gun while blindfolded. There is a reality component factored in to the class (the whole process, really) that is not reflected on paper. Absent anything egregious on your part, the SO is not going to give you grief.

Unless you bring 5 guns.

kaligaran
02-24-2014, 9:24 AM
This is not meant to be patronizing, but I have seen far, far worse performances out there. Our class had its collective sh*t together last night. Go sit in on amateur night some time - it is both horrifying and entertaining. :facepalm:

I don't take it as patronizing at all. :)
It was simply embarrassing b/c I've been shooting for so long and have had a CCW for over 13 years (different states). I've never had a failure to feed on either of those guns with thousands of rounds down range. However, that's never firing from a draw either.

Anyhow, does anyone know of a range that would allow holster drawing? Perhaps on special nights or as a member only deal (in FL there was a range that allowed it on member only nights).

I'd really like a lot more range time holster drawing once I feel I've perfected my grip from the draw.

edwardm
02-24-2014, 9:45 AM
I don't take it as patronizing at all. :)
It was simply embarrassing b/c I've been shooting for so long and have had a CCW for over 13 years (different states). I've never had a failure to feed on either of those guns with thousands of rounds down range. However, that's never firing from a draw either.

Are they picky about degraded recoil springs? I know >this< much about those pistols.

Anyhow, does anyone know of a range that would allow holster drawing? Perhaps on special nights or as a member only deal (in FL there was a range that allowed it on member only nights).

I've heard Jackson Arms in SSF does, but that's mere rumor to these ears. I see no posted rules against it on their web site.

Something like this is another option:

http://www.laserlyte.com/products/trainer-lt-45

I played with one a couple of weeks ago. Suspect at first, I think they are a really good training aid.

kaligaran
02-24-2014, 9:57 AM
I've heard Jackson Arms in SSF does, but that's mere rumor to these ears. I see no posted rules against it on their web site.
I'll have to call and ask.

Something like this is another option:

http://www.laserlyte.com/products/trainer-lt-45

I played with one a couple of weeks ago. Suspect at first, I think they are a really good training aid.

Laserlyte is awesome but the FTF is b/c of hand position which lended itself to the equivalent of limp-wristing the pistol. I am gonna practice at home but was hoping a range in San Mateo would allow holster drawing at least on a special night.

Anyhow, sorry to derail the thread from the CCW info. :)

jimbaran
02-24-2014, 2:20 PM
Update on San Mateo:

I called and spoke with Captain John Quinlan. Currently all stays the same and nothing has changed with SMSO and their CCW good cause policy. He said that Tom Merson still the man in charge of CCW and all should communicated through Tom. He can't really tell me when or if SMSO will change their policy in regards of Peruta decision.

I would assume that I might contact Tom in the next 14 days to check in with him if anything changes. I suggest you do the same.

Based on my experience and also a few senior/veteran members here who had dealt with SMSO staff; they are mostly decent and nice people and prompt in providing you answers. Keep in mind that CCW application is not only their main line of work. They are very busy with other work as well and you'll need to be patient and be courteous as well.

Thanks Edward for your PM and direction.

non sequitur
02-24-2014, 2:43 PM
Tom Merson - (650) 363-1907

gemini1
02-24-2014, 8:02 PM
Ok just to be clear, as per jimbaran's post, I (from Daly City) can still apply at the SMCSO in Redwood City, not at the DCPD?
And most likely will remain so even after the next 14 days?

Has any of you guys who's done your renewals, noticed any difference in the number of applicants for new ccw? I was wondering if I should apply now or wait till after any finality on the Peruta decision?

Also, the links for forms on the first page of this thread are all dead (404 error). Which of the two links below is the latest DOJ application form? I would think its the first one from the SacSO, but need to clarify.
Is this the only form, I need to fill up to apply?
Now should I just stop by at the Redwood City office and drop it off, or would it be better to make an appointment first?
And has anyone clarified what the latest fees are? From earlier discussions, the amount was in the $200+/-, but the Daly City website has the fees listed at $410.00 for new applicants, ans $220.00 for renewal?

http://www.sacsheriff.com/organization/office_of_the_sheriff/images/ccw-doj-app.pdf

http://www.madisonsocietyturlock.org/Pdf/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf

gemini1
02-24-2014, 9:45 PM
As for shooting 12 round shot/strings, I'm assuming all qualifying license holders shot your firearms at the same time? Is there any issues from the RO/Deputies if you use legal high cap mag?

NorCalAthlete
02-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Spoke with Veronica (@ SMSO) and one of the RSOs at the range qual (hint - it's once a month Sunday evenings from 1800-2100ish. You can call and find out when the next one is whether or not you have a permit...). Veronica said Sheriff Munks has no plans to change policy and likely will not. RSO said they'd been waiting to see if San Diego would appeal. I informed her they would not and she apparently wasn't aware of their press release stating such. She said in that case, it's possible things would change, and she'd try and find out. So...seems like split house and things aren't settled down yet - give them a chance to get their ducks in a row, they're supposedly holding meetings to discuss how to do things this very week per Veronica. Patience is key - they've been swamped with applications and calls and ranges once a month for 10-15 people isn't going to cover things from here on out. They have to figure out staffing schedules, how to process a massive increase in apps, secure the range time since the range being used is taken on the other 6 days of the week during those hours (combination of public/member access), etc. Lots of logistics to work out before they can begin to start qualifying and granting permits even if they WERE taking applications today. We've waited this long; what's another week or two?

gemini1
02-25-2014, 4:00 PM
Okay, so is this the latest DOJ form that needs to be filled up?

http://www.sacsheriff.com/organization/office_of_the_sheriff/images/ccw-doj-app.pdf

While I have read that we can list several firearms on the permit, I noticed on this pdf file - http://calgunsfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/SanMateo.pdf
under firearms qualification, that only one weapon will be authorized on the permit. And that weapon, should not be no smaller than a 380 ACP.

So is the above pdf link old/obsolete?
I wanted to include a 22LR sub-compact pistol on on the list of carry weapon. But not sure if the caliber requirements still stands, and I dont want this to be the reason for any delays in the process.

I was also going through A CGF sample apps form that was filled up, http://www.madisonsocietyturlock.org/Pdf/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf

Under section 2, Q8. Do I still need to list moving violations that were eligible for traffic school?
And on Q9. Is a misdemeanor DUI (over 10 years ago) a criminal offense? or do I need to list it down?
Then on the Yes/No questions under section 7, Shouldn't a NO answer suffice? or do I need to copy those given statements about the deceptive questions and our rights to privacy?

gose
02-25-2014, 8:54 PM
I wanted to include a 22LR sub-compact pistol on on the list of carry weapon. But not sure if the caliber requirements still stands, and I dont want this to be the reason for any delays in the process.

.22s are fine, as long as you can pass the test with it. A .22 PPK would probably work just fine, but I doubt you could do it with a NAA .22 revolver.

p0ppyman
02-26-2014, 4:27 PM
Okay, so is this the latest DOJ form that needs to be filled up?

On 2/21 the Sheriff's Office sent me via e-mail the form at the link you provided. I filled it out and scheduled my appointment with San Mateo PD for today. When I checked mail this morning the same person in the Sheriff's Office sent me a slightly different looking form with essentially the same fields. So I brought both to my appointment today. The person who interviewed me took the first form. He made notes on that form and we both put our signatures on that form.

Being a City of San Mateo resident I called the number on the SMPD website forms page requesting information on how I get the application. I got voicemail so I left a message. Three days later I got a call back. From there the Lt. I spoke with sent off a mail to the Sheriff's Office with my e-mail address. Within a day the Sheriff's Office sent me the form in the mail. I was very pleased with the service I received for this first phase in the process. The person who met with me today was very friendly, professional and took time to step me through the process working toward the goal of the decision point.

He did mention they are getting a lot of calls. He explained again today in person as he did in my first phone call with him that right now San Mateo is "business as usual". He explained the Chiefs and Sheriff's are evaluating things regularly based upon follow on actions and possible appeals.

He told me he will update the Sheriff's office and in a day or so I should call the Sheriff Office and schedule my Live Scan fingerprinting appointment.

Key thing for me to do now is keep my nose clean and not let my expectations get ahead of the reality given where things stand post appeals court ruling.

goomashoom
02-26-2014, 7:37 PM
p0ppyman, did you have to pay a fee today (Feb 26) when you had your interview with the SMPD Lieutenant? What was your response to the "good cause" question in Section 7 "Details of Reason for Applicant Desiring a CCW license?" Did you simply respond "lawful self-defense," and if you did, what are you going to do if they do "business as usual" and simply deny you a license? At what point in the process will you find out if they will accept your "good cause?"

Here's my experience so far: On Feb 24 at 9:29am I left a voicemail with the SMPD Support Services. On Feb 24 at 12:20pm, Nancy from SMPD Support Services returned my call and transferred me to Lieutenant Jack Ratcliffe for whom I left a voicemail. On Feb 24 at 4:04pm, Lt. Ratcliffe returned my call and left me a voicemail in which he stated "Even though the 9th Circuit made that ruling, we have not changed our practice due to the fact that that court case will be appealed or is in the process of being appealed so you still need to show good cause if you're going to try to apply for a concealed weapon permit." He went on to say that in order to start the process, I needed to notify him on my intent and then he would have the Sheriff's Dept send me an application. I emailed Lt. Ratcliffe on Feb 24 notifying him of my intent to apply for a CCW license. I have not received a reply to my email as of today.

p0ppyman
02-26-2014, 7:54 PM
p0ppyman, did you have to pay a fee today (Feb 26) when you had your interview with the SMPD Lieutenant?

I did not have to pay a fee today. Your experience was similar to mine in that I did have to send the Lt. an e-mail stating I wanted to apply. When he was responding to my voicemail I could not take his call so he left me a voicemail. If I recall correctly he made a similar comment with regard to "Even through the 9th Circuit made the ruling ...". Today we did discuss the content I put in the "Details of Reason for Applicant Desiring a CCW license" box. I had more than "lawful self-defense". He made some notes.

I had been preparing to apply for some months and when I heard about the ruling I decided to finally start the process. I hope this helps.

Gray Peterson
02-26-2014, 8:38 PM
p0ppyman, did you have to pay a fee today (Feb 26) when you had your interview with the SMPD Lieutenant? What was your response to the "good cause" question in Section 7 "Details of Reason for Applicant Desiring a CCW license?" Did you simply respond "lawful self-defense," and if you did, what are you going to do if they do "business as usual" and simply deny you a license? At what point in the process will you find out if they will accept your "good cause?"

Here's my experience so far: On Feb 24 at 9:29am I left a voicemail with the SMPD Support Services. On Feb 24 at 12:20pm, Nancy from SMPD Support Services returned my call and transferred me to Lieutenant Jack Ratcliffe for whom I left a voicemail. On Feb 24 at 4:04pm, Lt. Ratcliffe returned my call and left me a voicemail in which he stated "Even though the 9th Circuit made that ruling, we have not changed our practice due to the fact that that court case will be appealed or is in the process of being appealed so you still need to show good cause if you're going to try to apply for a concealed weapon permit." He went on to say that in order to start the process, I needed to notify him on my intent and then he would have the Sheriff's Dept send me an application. I emailed Lt. Ratcliffe on Feb 24 notifying him of my intent to apply for a CCW license. I have not received a reply to my email as of today.

Simply put, they are waiting until the mandate is issued and there's no chance of sua sponte en banc. Basically, March 6, whatever time the mandate is handed down is the "drop dead" date.

That being said, there are high level discussions being done and consultations being made about the situation, and input is being put in from the proper channels to dealing with the issue of licenses. I won't go into more detail, but it's pretty exciting what I'm being told.

goomashoom
02-26-2014, 9:24 PM
p0ppyman, your experience is very helpful. Thank you.

Gray, thank you for the insight and I agree that sua sponte en banc will never happen in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

p0ppyman
02-26-2014, 10:07 PM
At what point in the process will you find out if they will accept your "good cause?"

If I recall correctly the Lt. said it may take 12 to 16 weeks for final decision as that is what it is taking right now. He did not make any comment as to the strength of my good cause statement. He told me to schedule the Live Scan as the next step. I will contact the Sheriff Friday to see when I can get the next appointment. He also mentioned training.

Both the Sheriff and the SMPD Chief will review my application and come to independent recommendations on issue. He said the Sheriff trumps the SMPD Chief. Ultimately the Sheriff is the issuing authority.

Whatever the outcome I am glad I took the first step and got into the queue. A lot could change over the next few weeks.

Gray Peterson
02-26-2014, 10:22 PM
If I recall correctly the Lt. said it may take 12 to 16 weeks for final decision as that is what it is taking right now. He did not make any comment as to the strength of my good cause statement. He told me to schedule the Live Scan as the next step. I will contact the Sheriff Friday to see when I can get the next appointment. He also mentioned training.

Both the Sheriff and the SMPD Chief will review my application and come to independent recommendations on issue. He said the Sheriff trumps the SMPD Chief. Ultimately the Sheriff is the issuing authority.

Whatever the outcome I am glad I took the first step and got into the queue. A lot could change over the next few weeks.

I can tell you that changes are being readied. If it takes 12-16 weeks, it won't be because of a bunch of doting over each application. They simply will not have the time to do that.

gemini1
02-27-2014, 3:38 PM

P0ppyman, thanks for your input. I'll probably just wait till the dust settles, so to speak, before I make my move. Then write/post a summary of the process, fees, locations etc. Maybe this will entice a lot more people to join/move in our side of the fence once they find out how easy(?) it is.

ronlglock
02-28-2014, 4:43 PM
Are they picky about degraded recoil springs? I know >this< much about those pistols.

Jackson Arms allows draw from holster by those who pass their training department's tactical classes and LEO.

ronlglock
02-28-2014, 4:44 PM
I can tell you that changes are being readied. If it takes 12-16 weeks, it won't be because of a bunch of doting over each application. They simply will not have the time to do that.

My second set of prints was pulled 2 weeks ago (I have barely readable prints) and Tom said that they would inform San Bruno (which has my file). That's all that I know so far. I guess I need to wait a bit??

11bravo1p
02-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Treat em like mushrooms.

tr/328
03-01-2014, 7:23 AM
Can someone address the Personal Insurance Policy that is listed in the San Mateo County Application instructions which states:

each applicant will be required to show proof of a personal liability policy. The personal liability policy will cover the individual for a minimum amount of $1,000,000.00. This policy must be kept valid for the duration of the CCW permit.

See the following:

edwardm
03-01-2014, 7:35 AM
Don't care, not enforced, not checked.

Can someone address the Personal Insurance Policy that is listed in the San Mateo County Application instructions which states:

each applicant will be required to show proof of a personal liability policy. The personal liability policy will cover the individual for a minimum amount of $1,000,000.00. This policy must be kept valid for the duration of the CCW permit.

See the following:

edwardm
03-01-2014, 7:36 AM
Thoughts on how they plan to address training/qualification capacity issues?

hoffmang
03-01-2014, 9:03 AM
Thoughts on how they plan to address training/qualification capacity issues?

There is a conversation active on the issue.

-Gene

ghostrider4evr
03-04-2014, 8:25 AM
I just turned my application in to the SSF PD for approval, and was told that the Sergeant would be calling me back within the next few days. I was also told that I was the first application to be processed at that location. Looks like the waiting game starts now...

gemini1
03-04-2014, 5:28 PM
Question on the range qualification. Does the below sample means, you need to shoot 6 times at a target, 3 yards away and at each time, fire 2 rounds within 5 seconds?

Seconds per string-5, # of strings-6, Rounds-2, Yards-3, Total # of rounds-12

hoffmang
03-05-2014, 4:08 PM
Question on the range qualification. Does the below sample means, you need to shoot 6 times at a target, 3 yards away and at each time, fire 2 rounds within 5 seconds?

Seconds per string-5, # of strings-6, Rounds-2, Yards-3, Total # of rounds-12

It's something like that. First, do not stress the range qualification. They're looking for safe gun handling and basic ability to hit the target. You'll shoot just about 50 rounds per firearm you wish to have on your license.

The deputies on the range are compatriot gunnies who want to make sure you're safe and then able to effectively use the weapon if you need to. They're fellow travelers.

-Gene

gemini1
03-05-2014, 6:29 PM
Thanks Gene, that's good to know.

edwardm
03-06-2014, 1:47 PM
SMCSO statement on Peruta and no changes in policy:

http://www.smcsheriff.com/sites/default/files/downloads/CCW%20Peruta%20number%20public%20message.pdf

ghostrider4evr
03-06-2014, 5:22 PM
SMCSO statement on Peruta and no changes in policy:

http://www.smcsheriff.com/sites/default/files/downloads/CCW%20Peruta%20number%20public%20message.pdf

I have an interview with a detective from the SSFPD tomorrow; given the nature of this statement from SMCSO, should I still proceed with the interview?

edwardm
03-06-2014, 5:36 PM
That's a Crystal Ball Question, and I don't have a Crystal Ball Answer. :-/

I have an interview with a detective from the SSFPD tomorrow; given the nature of this statement from SMCSO, should I still proceed with the interview?

dk94044
03-07-2014, 6:37 AM
A few additions, I found a youtube vid showing the range qualifications, but older vid from 2012 and not sure what county.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thNosrImiDE

Also State Farm offers the $1M umbrella liability coverage for only ~$270 in addition to your current homeowner's policy.

edwardm
03-07-2014, 7:40 AM
Video caption says Sacramento County. Good find and good post. But as Gene said, the takeaway is that the SMCSO people want to see safe gun handling and some modicum of marksmanship.

A few additions, I found a youtube vid showing the range qualifications, but older vid from 2012 and not sure what county.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thNosrImiDE

Also State Farm offers the $1M umbrella liability coverage for only ~$270 in addition to your current homeowner's policy.

Cost depends on a host of other factors, i.e. age, marital status, age of children (if any). Mine is significantly less than the amount stated. Last I checked, amounts in excess of $1,000,000 are available in at least some circumstances.

Now, back to waiting for that special envelope from the Sheriff. Day 12....:)

fizux
03-07-2014, 8:06 AM

That was fast. Yes, go for it --- SSFPD is not SMCSO. Let us know how it goes.

ghostrider4evr
03-07-2014, 9:17 AM
That was fast. Yes, go for it --- SSFPD is not SMCSO. Let us know how it goes.

I went in today for the interview with an officer from SSFPD. The officer basically went over my application to make sure all my information was correct, and briefly went over my GC statement. I was very upfront in telling the officer that I did not have an elevated cause for requesting the LTC, other than the reason of lawful self-defense. He seemed very knowledgeable about the current status of Peruta and was quite professional with me; never once did he seem condescending or rude.

At this point my paperwork will be sent over to SMCSO, and I am in the process of making my appointment for the livescan.

ghostrider4evr
03-11-2014, 2:00 PM
Livescan appointment is this Friday; I was asked to bring a check for $95, DL, and proof of residency. Will a credit card statement and/or automobile reg suffice?

gemini1
03-11-2014, 5:17 PM
Good luck bro, please keep us updated.
From what I've read in various threads, some say that even 2 different credit card statements should be okay, not sure about car registration, I would think its GTG, what about your cell phone bill?

gemini1
03-11-2014, 5:17 PM
Double tap

goomashoom
03-12-2014, 6:40 AM
Thanks to ghostrider4ever for keeping is updated on his experience going through the process.

I mailed my application to the San Mateo Sheriff's office on Fri. It was received by the Sheriff's office on Mon. I got a voicemail from a deputy on Tue. I will call him back today.

Glock-23
03-12-2014, 9:28 AM
Good luck bro, please keep us updated.

From what I've read in various threads, some say that even 2 different credit card statements should be okay, not sure about car registration, I would think its GTG, what about your cell phone bill?

Driver's license and last month's utility bill from PG&E worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goomashoom
03-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Left voicemail for Deputy Merson today at 10:43am. Got a call back from him 3 minutes later. He was very cordial and informed me "You live in San Mateo, and we [the Sheriff's Dept] have an agreement that anybody who is a resident of an incorporated city give their application to the city police department in which they live." The deputy went on to say "We would request that you submit this application to the San Mateo police department. You can go through our office [i.e. the Sheriff's office] because it's not mandatory to go through the police."

I responded that I would like to submit my application to the Sheriff's Dept and not my local San Mateo police dept.

The polite deputy replied that he would hand my application over to the sergeant in charge of processing applications for the Sheriff's office.

FYI, my response to the good cause portion of the application was simply "self-defense."

gemini1
03-12-2014, 5:37 PM
^ Good luck! And please dont forget to update us of your steps/progress.

ghostrider4evr
03-14-2014, 8:20 AM
My livescan experience went better than I expected. I came in at my appointed time and noticed that there was another gentleman there for his CCW livescan as well. The person administering the livescan procedure was very friendly and a fellow 2A supporter; he performed both of our livescans back to back.

After my livescan was completed, I was interviewed by a sergeant Regarding my application. She asked me what I did for a living and also my reason for requesting a CCW. I politely gave her my employment info and told her that my reason was lawful self-defense. She asked if anyone has made any threats on my life, and I politely informed her that I was under no immediate threat. After that, she tells me that they are following the results of the Peruta case very closely and will comply with the law, should the ruling be upheld. The sergeant was very personable and professional the whole time, she said that they want to keep the process very transparent for all applicants. I gave her the $95 check which she put into a file folder with my name on it, I also handed over a copy of my credit card statement and photocopy of my DL. She also took a picture of me (headshot) to include in my file; apparently Sheriff Munks requires a picture taken for every applicant.

At this point I am simply waiting for my local PD (SSF) to hand over their review of my application; after that, the sergeant will review their results and come to an independent decision of her own on the matter. As was stated in a previous post by p0ppyman, the Sheriff has the final say on whether an application is approved. It was a great experience overall and I can’t say enough about how well I was treated through this entire process.

p0ppyman
03-14-2014, 6:49 PM
I did my Live Scan today. To refresh, my process started through the SMPD. The person working the printing station went into the office and brought out a form. I filled in my current address, place of birth, height & weight, DL #. He took my license and scanned it into his system and had me review the information before printing me. Afterward he told me to call the Sergeant and let her know I got printed. I have not paid anything at this point. I will shoot her an e-mail over the weekend. I expect she will let me know the next step.

Virginian
03-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Much as I enjoy the thought of actually scarfing up the crumbs thrown on the table, and getting the permission of someone to defend my family, it seems to me that since the Supreme Court has recognized the 2nd the "law of the land" leads back to Murdock v. Pennsylvania, 319 US 105:

"No state shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and attach a fee to it.
"A state may not impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right granted by
Federal constitution. at 113, (1943)."

Am I the only one who sees a problem here?

Gray Peterson
03-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Much as I enjoy the thought of actually scarfing up the crumbs thrown on the table, and getting the permission of someone to defend my family, it seems to me that since the Supreme Court has recognized the 2nd the "law of the land" leads back to Murdock v. Pennsylvania, 319 US 105:

"No state shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and attach a fee to it.
"A state may not impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right granted by
Federal constitution. at 113, (1943)."

Am I the only one who sees a problem here?

Marriage is a fundamental right and liberty, yet there are fees and licenses attached to it.

There was a law review article which talked about Murdock case, and the ways that the Supreme Court has partially overruled Murdock but didn't explicitly say so. I can't remember it, but it pretty well described the cases which partially overruled it was pretty compelling.

As the saying goes: "we're working on it". But for right now, forgoing getting the license on some sort of stand in a way that immediately endangers yourself and your family is similar to holding your breath when you don't get your way: You'll end up passed out and you still don't get what you want.

Protect yourself and your family first. That, by far, is the most important thing, not fretting over the fees at this present time. We're doing plenty of fretting ourselves.

Virginian
03-16-2014, 2:09 PM
Live under expedience, or principle? Expedience generally wins out, and in that light I agree. Strictly as a discussion of principle... there is no Amendment that mentions marriage, nor driving, nor any number of things we pay fees for. In the end, the thing I fret about is allowing government to determine its own powers. Someone else fretting about that is reassuring... Thanks.

Gray Peterson
03-16-2014, 2:27 PM
Live under expedience, or principle? Expedience generally wins out, and in that light I agree. Strictly as a discussion of principle... there is no Amendment that mentions marriage, nor driving, nor any number of things we pay fees for.

Some aspects of 1A are regulated by licensing. A newspaper can be required to have a business license to operate, as long as it's not denied due to the viewpoint of the paper or "proving to the king one's need to exercise a right", and such business licenses are generally required of all businesses.

Only four states in the United States have put into practice your belief that there should be no licensing of carry or fee requirements at all (VT, AZ, AK, WY for residents only). Do you expect the Supreme Court to put into practice the rules of 4 states into a nationwide standard?

In the end, the thing I fret about is allowing government to determine its own powers. Someone else fretting about that is reassuring... Thanks.

The reassurance should come from the fact that the folks who filed the cases that even gave you the opportunity acquire the license after putting "self defense" on the good cause statement, think about these sort of thing and ways of attacking this every day.

For example, the associated legal supervisory teams (SAF) which filed Richards v. Prieto also filed against the high fees of New York City, originally Kwong v. Bloomberg now Kwong v. DeBlasio, which is now at the Supreme Court right now. If for some reason the Supreme Court doesn't take Kwong, the high fees of Illinois (150 for residents, 300 for non-residents) and California (95+local authority processing) could be taken up next, possibly generating a split in the circuits, generating a SCOTUS grant.

Virginian, protect yourself and your family first. We know the licensing fee is too expensive, we know it's probably shouldn't be licensed at all, but we aren't in a legal position to demand our Murdock, yet.

ronlglock
03-17-2014, 6:25 PM
1 month anniversary of my Livescan in SMCO. Still counting...

goomashoom
03-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Received a phone call this morning from the pleasant Deputy Sheriff in the San Mateo Sheriff's office who is handling my application. He asked me for my email address because he said that he was going to send me an email. He mentioned again that the Peruta decision is not final, and therefore, the San Mateo Sheriff's office policy on "good cause" remains unchanged. He said that the email would ask me if I wanted to continue with my LTC application or have him "hold" my application until such time that Peruta becomes final. He also informed me that the LTC application fee is $95.

I am inclined to continue with my application despite the deputy's assertion that my "simple self-defense" will not satisfy current policy for "good cause."

I don't see any downside to continuing with my application. I would speculate that the Sheriff will not deny my application even if Peruta is not "finalized."

Any advice/thoughts from the collective wisdom of this group is appreciated.

edwardm
03-18-2014, 1:05 PM
I am inclined to continue with my application despite the deputy's assertion that my "simple self-defense" will not satisfy current policy for "good cause."

I don't see any downside to continuing with my application. I would speculate that the Sheriff will not deny my application even if Peruta is not "finalized."

Any advice/thoughts from the collective wisdom of this group is appreciated.

I would speculate that absent 'elevated good cause', the Sheriff will deny the permit, unless Peruta is made final sometime during your application process. I interact regularly with several San Mateo CCW permit holders - none was granted for basic self-defense absent enhancing factors.

This is one of those cases where I would like to be proven wrong, though.

goomashoom
03-18-2014, 3:23 PM
I received an email from the deputy sheriff in charge of processing LCT applications for the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office. Just to recap, I mailed my application directly to the Sheriff instead of my local PD. The body of the email follows…….

"We have received your application for a concealed carry license. Based on my prior experience with these applications, I do not anticipate that the Sheriff would conclude, based solely on a bare statement from you that you wish the license for "self-defense", that you have provided "good cause" for a license.

However, the Sheriff looks at each one of these applications individually and exercises his discretion based on the totality of the circumstances. And, perhaps you intend to provide more context with respect to your "good cause" during the processing of your application. So if you would like us to continue to process your application now, recognizing that it may very well not be granted based on your statement of "good cause", I am happy to start the process.

Alternatively, as you may know, last month a panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decided a case, Peruta v. County of San Diego, which interprets the "good cause" requirement and that may ultimately effect the Sheriff's view on what constitutes "good cause". That case is currently being reviewed by the Court and is not yet final. If you would prefer (and request in writing), we would be happy to hold (and not act on) your application and not begin to process it until the legal issues raised by the Peruta case have been finally resolved, recognizing that might take some time. Please let me know how you would like me to proceed."

Gray Peterson
03-18-2014, 6:18 PM
I received an email from the deputy sheriff in charge of processing LCT applications for the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office. Just to recap, I mailed my application directly to the Sheriff instead of my local PD. The body of the email follows…….

"We have received your application for a concealed carry license. Based on my prior experience with these applications, I do not anticipate that the Sheriff would conclude, based solely on a bare statement from you that you wish the license for "self-defense", that you have provided "good cause" for a license.

However, the Sheriff looks at each one of these applications individually and exercises his discretion based on the totality of the circumstances. And, perhaps you intend to provide more context with respect to your "good cause" during the processing of your application. So if you would like us to continue to process your application now, recognizing that it may very well not be granted based on your statement of "good cause", I am happy to start the process.

Alternatively, as you may know, last month a panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decided a case, Peruta v. County of San Diego, which interprets the "good cause" requirement and that may ultimately effect the Sheriff's view on what constitutes "good cause". That case is currently being reviewed by the Court and is not yet final. If you would prefer (and request in writing), we would be happy to hold (and not act on) your application and not begin to process it until the legal issues raised by the Peruta case have been finally resolved, recognizing that might take some time. Please let me know how you would like me to proceed."

Is that Corpus or Merson?

goomashoom
03-18-2014, 9:22 PM
Deputy Merson authored the email I posted earlier today.

Gray Peterson
03-18-2014, 10:33 PM

I recommend, in opposite of what I've advised others in other counties, to ask for hold the app.

I can tell you, without going into too much extensive detail, that unlike other IA's, SMSO seems to be taking seriously it's soon to be responsibilities, and will NOT play games, at least as presented or explain to me, once the Peruta mandate is issued.

Plans are in motion. Details are being worked out. You could force the issue, but I don't see the direct point at least as applied to SMSO.

brianjhmb
03-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Considering that San Francisco, San Mateo and Los Angeles county's are the most difficult to obtain a CCW, I think that even if the full 11 do not overturn and even if the Supreme Court upholds the 3 panel decisions this fight is far from over. The liberal progressive anti-gun socialists who run those 3 areas of CA will simply continue to subrogate the U.S. Constitution and fund defending against these lawsuits until doomsday. I find it find it appalling that all of these public officials, politicians and LEO take oaths to preserve protect and defend the Counstitution and then destroy it. Does anyone remember that in Jun of 2011 that the CA Senate declared itself exempt from firearms rules? One set of laws for the ruling socialist oligarchy in Sacramento and another for those who put them there. Man I wish the CA of Ronald Reagan could return.

ghostrider4evr
03-18-2014, 10:54 PM

Thanks for sharing, goomashoom. I've already handed my $95 check to Sgt. Corpus, but I hope she gives me the same option of putting my application on hold until Peruta is resolved.

goomashoom
03-19-2014, 9:54 AM
I was told by a trusted friend that they cannot cash your $95 check until they hand you your CCW license. If you are denied, then they legally cannot cash your check. I think we need one or two more confirmations of what my friend says, though.

goomashoom
03-19-2014, 9:57 AM
I recommend, in opposite of what I've advised others in other counties, to ask for hold the app..

Gray, thank you for your advice. I am inclined to take it and ask SMSO to "hold" my application until Peruta is finalized.

Gray Peterson
03-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Considering that San Francisco, San Mateo and Los Angeles county's are the most difficult to obtain a CCW, I think that even if the full 11 do not overturn and even if the Supreme Court upholds the 3 panel decisions this fight is far from over. The liberal progressive anti-gun socialists who run those 3 areas of CA will simply continue to subrogate the U.S. Constitution and fund defending against these lawsuits until doomsday. I find it find it appalling that all of these public officials, politicians and LEO take oaths to preserve protect and defend the Counstitution and then destroy it. Does anyone remember that in Jun of 2011 that the CA Senate declared itself exempt from firearms rules? One set of laws for the ruling socialist oligarchy in Sacramento and another for those who put them there. Man I wish the CA of Ronald Reagan could return.

You are the victim of parroting an inaccuracy. The senate bill you spoke of was amended in committee and eliminated the legislators have good cause provision. The remaining bill was a good bill which fixed a lot of problems for applicants.

San Mateo is not in the top three of most difficult counties to get a CCW. I spoke from my experience of knowing the worst offenders and SM is not longer one of them.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised in the post-Peruta mandate era of issuance procedures for SMSO.

dwightlooi
03-19-2014, 4:05 PM
Maybe I'll submit an application with a citing as just cause "I believe that I am capable of safely handling, appropriately concealing and employing with good marksmanship, handguns in the defense of oneself and others should the need arise. In light of the recent court ruling in Peruta vs County of San Diego, I will like to be licensed to carry a concealed handgun."

No nonsense, no excuses, no antagonism. Just state it like it is.

Laddy
03-19-2014, 4:28 PM
I'm wondering if anyone could help me out, or point me in the correct direction.

I believe it was Hoffman who has a suit pending against San Mateo County regarding the carry of a concealed firearm in county areas, such as the trails along skyline. I thought there was a .pdf he posted in this thread, but I can't find it.

I'm very interested in this, as I too hike those trails and have for the better part of thirty years. It would be a major consideration for me moving forward in obtaining a CCW permit.

Maybe I'm in the wrong sub-forum? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

gemini1
03-19-2014, 6:35 PM
Do any of you new applicants received the same email from the SMSO?
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to just send in my application, and advice the deputy handling the application to put mine on hold if he/she ask about it?
Or just wait till Peruta's decision becomes final?

hoffmang
03-19-2014, 6:47 PM
We lost the San Mateo County park issue in the State courts. We are simply awaiting finality in the Federal courts around Peruta/Richards and - once we have that - will return to the issue in Federal court under a 2A theory (instead of the state preemption theory we'd earlier sued under.

-Gene

Laddy
03-19-2014, 7:54 PM
Sorry the hear that, Gene. Thanks for the update though.

ghostrider4evr
03-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Do any of you new applicants received the same email from the SMSO?
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to just send in my application, and advice the deputy handling the application to put mine on hold if he/she ask about it?
Or just wait till Peruta's decision becomes final?

I personally have not received the same email that goomashoom has received. Judging from his posts, it looks like he's been in constant communication with Deputy Merson whereas my only contact has been through Deputy Corpus.

I don't think it would hurt to send in your application now and have them hold it until Peruta is finalized.

ronlglock
03-21-2014, 2:41 PM
I personally have not received the same email that goomashoom has received. Judging from his posts, it looks like he's been in constant communication with Deputy Merson whereas my only contact has been through Deputy Corpus.

I'm going on 6 weeks of silence from my Livescan so I am assuming that they are quietly doing their background check on me.

mural9999
03-22-2014, 7:57 PM
Great info all. Quick question on the application initiation process.

A) Is the application to be completed and mailed to the sheriff's office
or
B) Did those applicants call to schedule a time to drop off the application and submit to livescan/interview/application drop off? In this case, who did you call?

Sorry if this is a duplicate question but there is a bunch of info in the threads and it dates over time so it is hard to nail the exact process.

Thanks in advance.

ronlglock
03-23-2014, 7:53 AM
Great info all. Quick question on the application initiation process.

A) Is the application to be completed and mailed to the sheriff's office
or
B) Did those applicants call to schedule a time to drop off the application and submit to livescan/interview/application drop off? In this case, who did you call?

Sorry if this is a duplicate question but there is a bunch of info in the threads and it dates over time so it is hard to nail the exact process.

Thanks in advance.

I started with my local PD. Filled out the form and scheduled an interview. Was emailed about a week later to call SMSO to schedule my livescan.

p0ppyman
03-23-2014, 9:04 AM
Quick question on the application initiation process

As a resident of the City of San Mateo here is the high level view of the experience so far:
1. Visited the SMPD website to locate form, no form on site, there was a phone number on site
2. Called phone number on website to request application form
3. Three days later got phone call from SMPD indicating they would have Sheriff Office send me the application
4. On 2/21 Sheriff Office sent application via e-mail, filled out the application and scheduled interview with SMPD
5. On 2/24 went to the SMPD interview where I added my signatures to the application
6. SMPD told me next step is to contact Sheriff Office to schedule Live Scan
7. On 2/28 I contacted Sheriff's Office via e-mail telling them SMPD said I should schedule a Live Scan
8. On 3/5 Sheriff's Office responded via e-mail with the phone number to call to schedule
9. On 3/14 did Live Scan
10. On 3/18 Sheriff Office e-mailed me requesting copy of application
11. On 3/19 I replied via e-mail I did not have a copy but I copied SMPD since they had it
12. On 3/19 SMPD sent a copy to the Sheriff's Office and let me know via e-mail they did so via e-mail

This is where things sit for me. I like the ease of communicating via e-mail. Everyone seems responsive so far. I delayed a bit in scheduling the Live Scan because my work schedule was extremely full.

Gray Peterson
03-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Post-Peruta, I would say that the process would likely be entirely revamped.

ghostrider4evr
03-26-2014, 10:16 AM
I received the following email today from Sgt. Christina Corpus:

"Mr. ****,

We have received your application for a concealed carry license. Based on my prior experience with these applications, I do not anticipate that the Sheriff would conclude, based solely on a bare statement from you that you wish the license for "self-defense", that you have provided "good cause" for a license.

I politely replied that I would like her to put a hold on my application until the ruling in the Peruta case is finalized.

11bravo1p
03-27-2014, 9:27 PM
Thats a good play ghostrider4va. She basically told you further processing would likely end in a denial, but she gave you a chance to keep it in the queue until the Peruta case is finalized.
You now have your foot in the door with a pending application. Show some patience and when the time is right you will get what you are looking for. I'd suggest you maintain the polite demeanor and exercise some patience and it will all end with a positive outcome for you.

11bravo1p
03-27-2014, 9:41 PM
I think it is important to state that if you are going to do a "one on one" (not referring to ghostrida4va in my previous post, I mean everybody), that you shower, shave, dont get hammered the night before, and wear clothing suitable to a normal joe will gain you points. Showing up manging in all black or camoflauge with bloodshoot eyes probably isnt going to help you. Yes this is a right, but you need to show some respect and pride in your personal appearance when meeting with an LEO (they will). If they think you look like a dirtbag, I would wager your chances of success would be on a decline. But dont over do it, dont wear a suit unless it is part of your daily wardrobe. Just my two cents.

taperxz
03-27-2014, 10:28 PM
I think it is important to state that if you are going to do a "one on one" (not referring to ghostrida4va in my previous post, I mean everybody), that you shower, shave, dont get hammered the night before, and wear clothing suitable to a normal joe will gain you points. Showing up manging in all black or camoflauge with bloodshoot eyes probably isnt going to help you. Yes this is a right, but you need to show some respect and pride in your personal appearance when meeting with an LEO (they will). If they think you look like a dirtbag, I would wager your chances of success would be on a decline. But dont over do it, dont wear a suit unless it is part of your daily wardrobe. Just my two cents.

I have a friend who doesn't shower, shave or dress nice and helped him with his good cause and he got approved for a CCW in San Mateo county.

Its not that hard to be smarter than the Sheriff. (when it comes to being able to articulate a good cause statement)

11bravo1p
03-28-2014, 12:13 PM
What did his "good cause" statement say?

edwardm
03-28-2014, 1:32 PM

I don't think it matters. I wasn't aware that when I went to drop off my app a couple years ago that the interview would happen right then and there. I had woken up, taken the kid to school, didn't shower, had a few days of stubble, and looked like I'd just crawled out of bed. Truth be told, my next stop was going to be the gym, anyway.

Do I recommend looking like a hobo? No. Do I think they subtract points secretly in 'the book'? No. That said, be very, very polite (if it's not in your nature already) to the office staff. They have the ability to make your day miserable and they are generally overworked, underpaid, nice people. The reception lady even gave me candy once. :)

11bravo1p
03-28-2014, 5:21 PM
When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. My bad. Thought it might be a good idea but looks like it doesnt matter.

11bravo1p
03-28-2014, 7:44 PM
What if you want an m92 pap on your license (vehicle carry, no way to holster it). How would that work (if at all)?

Brian Nussbaum CO
03-31-2014, 5:56 PM
I have a friend who doesn't shower, shave or dress nice and helped him with his good cause and he got approved for a CCW in San Mateo county.

Its not that hard to be smarter than the Sheriff.

:cool2:

11bravo1p
04-01-2014, 9:14 PM

Its not that hard to be smarter than the Sheriff.

Hey Taperxz, still wondering about that good cause statement. What did you recommend your friend said?

11bravo1p
04-03-2014, 3:38 PM
Nothing.
There never was a friend nor a statement. Just a bunch of smelly hippies talking nonsense.

edwardm
04-03-2014, 4:09 PM
Nothing.
There never was a friend nor a statement. Just a bunch of smelly hippies talking nonsense.

People don't share GC, at least not in public. There are very valid reasons for that.

jimbaran
04-03-2014, 6:22 PM
^^^ This.

11bravo1p
04-03-2014, 6:58 PM
He stated he was smarter than LE. If its opsec, ok, but dont try and make yourself look better than those working for a living.

edwardm
04-04-2014, 5:30 AM
Are you intentionally trolling, or do you have a beef with someone/something? Neither is needed here, really. Taper really wasn't trying to do what you suggest. He can put on his big-boy pants and speak for himself, but it's accepted that LE reads these forums and I would think someone, somewhere, in SMC is more than aware of this little sub-forum.

Sheriff Munks issues for enhanced good cause, which means something more than basic self-defense or exercise of a Constitutional right. That does not mean I agree with his policy, it means that *is* the policy you presently have to confront.*

If you need help with your GC, you are your own best asset. Ask yourself,

"Is there anything about my life, my daily routine, something specific to me that puts me at any sort of enhanced risk of death or great bodily harm?"

Serious consideration of that question and your own answers will self-determine if you can meet the enhanced GC standard. It's not meant to be coy or to try and game you. It's meant to be sincere.

* - carry what you want, where you want, when you want. The 'gun issue' isn't about guns. It's about the wetware behind the gun.

He stated he was smarter than LE. If its opsec, ok, but dont try and make yourself look better than those working for a living.

11bravo1p
04-04-2014, 6:56 AM
Nope, no beef, just looking for information and I made a weak attempt at humor. I should have included a (sarcasm) tag. I appreciate the feedback. I think your response helped me out greatly. Thanks for that, and my apologies if how I phrased my posts were perceived by anyone as hostile. Was not my intention.

taperxz
04-04-2014, 7:23 AM
Hey Taperxz, still wondering about that good cause statement. What did you recommend your friend said?

It wouldn't work for you. They are slightly personalized. All i did was refine the wording and sentence structure.

I did that for a very very good friend and his family who i care about.

If you don't have a heightened good cause, then you will need to wait for Peruta. If you do but can't articulate it properly? Get someone that can help you.

11bravo1p
04-04-2014, 7:40 AM
Thanks taperxz. I appreciate it.

fizux
04-08-2014, 8:55 AM
Nope, no beef, just looking for information and I made a weak attempt at humor. I should have included a (sarcasm) tag. I appreciate the feedback. I think your response helped me out greatly. Thanks for that, and my apologies if how I phrased my posts were perceived by anyone as hostile. Was not my intention.
Some civilians don't realize what MOSes are public affairs vs. Neanderthal. Its not their fault their lives are softer than Fryar DZ.

That being said, there are a few folks that can help review your GC to maximize your chances in SM.

edwardm
04-08-2014, 9:05 AM
Pleasant little man, ain't ya?

Some civilians don't realize what MOSes are public affairs vs. Neanderthal. Its not their fault their lives are softer than Fryar DZ.

That being said, there are a few folks that can help review your GC to maximize your chances in SM.

11bravo1p
04-08-2014, 9:52 PM
Hey fizux,
I'm just another grunt trying to landnav thru all these crazy laws we carried weapons and rucks for. Appreciate the support.

11bravo1p
04-08-2014, 10:03 PM
And yes, Fryar was softer than the east range AB, JRTC in December not so much.

mural9999
04-09-2014, 9:03 AM
Thank you for the PM's and the public messages.

This is mostly an FYI for the other members.

I submitted an application under the basic self defense cause.

Like others, I received a call from Tom Merson at Sheriff's office (within 3 days of submitting). As others also mentioned, he was extremely nice and not in any way condescending. He was very honest with the current state of their policy (e.g, they are waiting for the Peruta decision to finalize) and that basic self defense would not pass the current standard. He gave me the option to hold the application (he is keeping a "Peruta" stack) and he would process them in the order they came in once the decision finalizes.

I was as appreciative / polite as I could be and thanked him for his service to the county.

Now the waiting game begins for the court system to grind.

kaligaran
04-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Mr. Merson is super nice.

That makes me happy they are keeping a post-Peruta stack. In fact, I think for that reason more people should submit sooner rather than later b/c they will most likely go through that stack in a FIFO (first in first out) queue.

fizux
04-09-2014, 9:13 PM
Hey fizux,
I'm just another grunt trying to landnav thru all these crazy laws we carried weapons and rucks for. Appreciate the support. Hooah.

Landnav? Try breach minefield ops, skill level 99. Conditions: you have a box of grid squares, chemlight batteries, and a *****E8.

And yes, Fryar was softer than the east range AB, JRTC in December not so much.
Nothing special about December. JRTC sucks year-round.

As a side note, secclr helps. You can always reup as a TPU or Nasty Girl for something in 35-series and spend some quality time in hoochie-coo.

11bravo1p
04-10-2014, 10:39 PM
I was MI, but we were all 11B1P but with a Q6 identifier. NCO's were all Ranger qualified, attached to an intel unit. I have a clearance, I will use that.
Thanks bro

11bravo1p
04-10-2014, 10:41 PM
And chemlights dont have batteries, think you were f'ing with me.

1nickatnite1
04-15-2014, 9:19 PM

Hi thanks for posting your experience so far. I'm in the process of filling out the form as well. I just want to clarify I only fill out sections 1-5 and then mail the packet directly to the sheriff? Was there a particular dpt/person you addressed it to?

Thanks!
Nick

mural9999
04-16-2014, 10:02 AM
I completed the mundane parts of Section 7 (name, address, answered the questions, etc). If you use Adobe reader there is an electric forms version where you can fill it all in electronically. I didn't sign anything. I mailed it too:

Professional Standards Bureau
San Mateo County Office of the Sheriff
400 County Center
Redwood City, CA 94063-1662

Chewbaca
04-16-2014, 12:35 PM
do you think having a DUI would affect your chances of getting a ccw ?

BZB
04-16-2014, 2:43 PM

Probably. The majority of DUIs are classified as misdemeanors and although the charge is less serious than a felony offense, it is still a crime. Stay sober.

edwardm
04-16-2014, 5:21 PM

It's going to depend on how long ago you were convicted, the sentence & disposition, any subsequent offenses (even if not DUI or alcohol related) and other factors particular to your situation and circumstances.

A conviction (of any type) is not necessarily an automatic disqualification in this county.

1nickatnite1
04-16-2014, 9:44 PM
I completed the mundane parts of Section 7 (name, address, answered the questions, etc). If you use Adobe reader there is an electric forms version where you can fill it all in electronically. I didn't sign anything. I mailed it too:

Professional Standards Bureau
San Mateo County Office of the Sheriff
400 County Center
Redwood City, CA 94063-1662

Awesome, thanks so much!

Paladin
04-19-2014, 9:57 AM

<snip>

Does anyone have a link to where the SMSO states this on their website? I only found the .pdf linked at their homepage which basically says, Peruta is not finalized, no changes in SMSO CCW policy yet.
http://www.smcsheriff.com/

FWIW I've updated the OP's info, thread title and changed the smilie to a Thumbs Up (what I've been using for LEAs taking & holding apps pending finalization).

kaligaran
04-20-2014, 8:42 PM
Does anyone have a link to where the SMSO states this on their website? I only found the .pdf linked at their homepage which basically says, Peruta is not finalized, no changes in SMSO CCW policy yet.
http://www.smcsheriff.com/

FWIW I've updated the OP's info, thread title and changed the smilie to a Thumbs Up (what I've been using for LEAs taking & holding apps pending finalization).

AFAIK it's not on their site. It's what they are telling people through email that have submitted an app.

Paladin
04-20-2014, 9:00 PM
AFAIK it's not on their site. It's what they are telling people through email that have submitted an app.
If someone who's received such an email could post a pic of it (with the sheriff's office info and year and month of date intact, but day and time and personal identifying info blurred) that would be great.

CapS
04-20-2014, 9:57 PM
[QUOTE=mural9999;13889172]I completed the mundane parts of Section 7 (name, address, answered the questions, etc). If you use Adobe reader there is an electric forms version where you can fill it all in electronically. I didn't sign anything.

Please excuse my ignorance, but where do I get an application?

CapS

mural9999
04-21-2014, 7:23 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but where do I get an application?
CapS

I downloaded mine here:

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/carry/information/

taperxz
04-21-2014, 7:32 AM
The OP should also note that SM will also consider a GC statement other than for "self defense" if the applicant wishes to apply as such.

A slightly heightened good cause will get approved in SM county.

If you add for self defense with that heightened good cause but the other part of your good cause is rejected, they will still place it in a Peruta pile.

If you can't wait, i would try to include "self defense" along with a heightened good cause to see if they will expedite you on your other reasons.

It can't hurt.

rideordie
04-26-2014, 10:05 AM
I'm filling out the application and sending in it but have a question for those that already filled it out and got a response.

It says on the app to only fill out sections 1-5 so does that mean leave the "details of reason for applicant desiring a ccw license" box blank in section 7.

Anything else I should know while filling out the app?

Paladin
04-27-2014, 7:13 PM
The OP should also note that SM will also consider a GC statement other than for "self defense" if the applicant wishes to apply as such.

A slightly heightened good cause will get approved in SM county.

If you add for self defense with that heightened good cause but the other part of your good cause is rejected, they will still place it in a Peruta pile.

If you can't wait, i would try to include "self defense" along with a heightened good cause to see if they will expedite you on your other reasons.

It can't hurt.Good point. Done.

ronlglock
05-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Anyone addressing the fact that San Mateo County will only allow three firearms on the LTC? I seem to remember that California does not have a limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

edwardm
05-30-2014, 1:00 PM
Anyone addressing the fact that San Mateo County will only allow three firearms on the LTC? I seem to remember that California does not have a limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They may have that in writing, but it is not their practice.

Practically speaking, you may not want to do more than three. The qualification takes long enough with 3. By 4 you want to get done and by 5 it is dark, windy and cold and you want to go home and be warm (at least if done in winter or early spring).