PDA

View Full Version : El Dorado *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Pages : [1] 2

obeygiant
10-14-2010, 10:09 PM
UPDATE (2015 Feb 05):

Per posts #380 and #381, it looks like mere "self-defense" is being accepted by the sheriff as sufficient Good Cause, therefore I'm changing the title of this thread to read "Time to Apply!!!" If anyone uses "self-defense" as their GC and gets denied for lack of or insufficient GC, and gets denied for lack of or insufficient GC, PM a Moderator listed at the bottom of this forum.

El Dorado SO's CCW application instructions & form are linked at: http://www.edcgov.us/Sheriff/Forms.aspx

(end of update)

El Dorado County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/97-el-dorado)

seraphim713
10-20-2010, 11:02 PM
I will be moving from San Francisco to El Dorado county soon. Is El Dorado a CCW friendly county? Are they reasonable about giving out permits?

TempleKnight
10-30-2010, 8:32 PM
Both of the candidates for El Dorado County sheriff promised to be more CCW friendly. D'Agostini promised self-defense equals good cause and Therkildson promised to streamline the process (whatever that means).

Bob Ragen
10-30-2010, 8:50 PM
I will be moving from San Francisco to El Dorado county soon. Is El Dorado a CCW friendly county? Are they reasonable about giving out permits?

Yes, they are very reasonable. And it may be getting even easier to get through the process if either candidate keeps there promise regarding CCW issuance.

Hogxtz
10-30-2010, 9:41 PM
D'Agostini is backed by the NRA. The other canidate is not. Draw your own conclusions.

Dexster
11-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Looking at the current support it looks like by the end of the day D'Agostini will be our Sheriff! I'll be applying for mine as soon as he takes office.

Gray Peterson
11-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Looking at the current support it looks like by the end of the day D'Agostini will be our Sheriff! I'll be applying for mine as soon as he takes office.

Where are you getting your polling numbers? Just wondering for my own edification.

I have spoken with D'Agostini on three occassions. He is the real deal, he is the superior pro-gun candidate, and he's shown a willingess to annihilate all unlawful and illlegal requirements that Sheriff Jeff Neves/Fred Kollar continues to enforce, and Therkildsen seems to be squishy on.

Hogxtz
11-06-2010, 1:21 PM
El Dorado County elections is still counting the "vote by mail" ballots. The spread between Sheriff D and Sherrif T is growing in D's favor. Sheriff D will be as close to shall issue and "personal protection" good cause as we can get without the state becoming shall issue. Apply for your ccw after D takes office.

scratch
11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
I also have spoken to our new Sheriff and he said he will remove the need for 3 character letters and that self defense is good cause.

We have a lot of rural roads that we travel at night plus I'm a competitive shooter that carries guns all the time, so I think I will apply after Mr. D'Agostini takes office and changes the SO policy.

It's interesting that in talking with some business owners in Placerville they would like to apply for permits, but found it was too onerous in the past. Since Mr. D'Agostini wants to bring back a community based law enforcement policy this may go a long way in bringing the community back to support the SO.

NorCalDustin
11-22-2010, 9:52 AM
Anyone know when the new sheriff takes office?

scratch
11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
They are supposed to validate the vote count this Friday, then he would be sworn in January 11th.

Socom16Fan
12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Hang tight folks. Policy is being massively overhauled. I am a resident and instructor in El Dorado and you all will pleased with the final outcome. Stay tuned...

scratch
12-07-2010, 1:09 PM
Keep us posted Socom.

mw20
12-07-2010, 2:52 PM
I currently live in Sacramento, but I will be moving to El Dorado County next year. If I get my CCW for Sacramento will I need to re-apply in El Dorado once I move, or can I wait for it to expire before I apply again in El Dorado Co. I don't really want to pay the fees twice.

Or should I just wait until I move?

obeygiant
12-07-2010, 6:10 PM
I currently live in Sacramento, but I will be moving to El Dorado County next year. If I get my CCW for Sacramento will I need to re-apply in El Dorado once I move, or can I wait for it to expire before I apply again in El Dorado Co. I don't really want to pay the fees twice.

Or should I just wait until I move?

Appointments in Sacramento are booked out until February. Wait until you move out of Sacramento as a CCW would only be good for 90 days after your move at which point you would have to reapply and pay the fees all over again. Better to only have to do it once.

mw20
12-22-2010, 2:16 PM
So what is the process like right now?

When should we expect the changes that will make El Dorado Co. virtual shall issue?

Will there be a new process that is more streamlined?

Gray Peterson
12-22-2010, 3:26 PM
So what is the process like right now?

Terrible. Wait three weeks and it'll be much better.

When should we expect the changes that will make El Dorado Co. virtual shall issue?

The day the sheriff takes office, most likely.

Will there be a new process that is more streamlined?

Yes.

Socom16Fan
12-22-2010, 3:29 PM
Inauguration will be early January. Process will be much simpler. Feel free to PM me if you need any info on the process or training. I am a CCW instructor here in ED county.

wildhawker
12-22-2010, 6:33 PM
We're in direct contact with the sheriff-elect and will be posting all of the details here when he's completed the reforms.

ccwtrainer
12-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Sheriff D'Agostini recently held a meeting with several approved CCW Instructors. He asked for our input regarding removing restrictions that El Dorado County had on their CCW's and revising the policy in any way that would make it more common sense oriented. For example, we discussed doing away with the restriction that makes El Dorado County issued permits invalid outside of CA. We talked about allowing 5 guns on the permit instead of only 3 (he wanted to allow any gun that you legally own but, he has to list every approved gun on the actual permit and 5 seemed to be the maximum that would fit). We also concluded that the new permits would be on a card similar to a driver's license or credit card rather than a piece of paper.

Throughout the meeting we discussed many other issues. It was very constructive. Sheriff D'Agostini is certainly CCW friendly and a very open individual.

sacto929
12-28-2010, 7:23 AM
The recent news sounds good. Is Jan 11 the inauguration day, as opposed to Jan 3 or 4 like most other offices? I couldn't find the date on the net.... I have my app filled out, just waiting to send it in....

Thanks.

ccwtrainer
12-28-2010, 12:46 PM
The recent news sounds good. Is Jan 11 the inauguration day, as opposed to Jan 3 or 4 like most other offices? I couldn't find the date on the net.... I have my app filled out, just waiting to send it in....

Thanks.

I just called and spoke with Sheriff D'Agostini. He said that he will take the office at 12PM on January 3, 2011.

He asked me to request that everyone NOT turn in their applications all at once. It will cause everbody's process to be drastically delayed and he wants to try to avoid that.

choprzrul
12-28-2010, 1:27 PM
I just called and spoke with Sheriff D'Agostini. He said that he will take the office at 12PM on January 3, 2011.

He asked me to request that everyone NOT turn in their applications all at once. It will cause everbody's process to be drastically delayed and he wants to try to avoid that.

I don't live in that county, but as a suggestion that will help with the sheriff's request:
SSNs 0000-0999 apply immediately
SSNs 1000-1999 apply in 2 weeks
SSNs 2000-2999 apply in 4 weeks

etc until all have applied. Granted, this would be on the honor system, but it might help maintain relations with his office. Just an idea.

15thaf5thbw
12-28-2010, 2:09 PM
If there will be a new, modified process for CCW applications (as is strongly suggested by the posts here in this thread), will there be new application Forms as well? Or should we use the old forms? If the old forms, how will we know what parts of the forms to ignore if no longer needed, etc.?

choprzrul
12-28-2010, 2:14 PM
If there will be a new, modified process for CCW applications (as is strongly suggested by the posts here in this thread), will there be new application Forms as well? Or should we use the old forms? If the old forms, how will we know what parts of the forms to ignore if no longer needed, etc.?

Anyone can apply to any sheriffs office with this form (http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf) from CA DOJ.

mw20
12-28-2010, 5:07 PM
This is very exciting. I'm in no rush, I mean the sooner the better, but we've all waited for these changes for many years. I never thought that CA gun owners would be making this kind of headway in the first place. Thank you Wildhawker and all others that have helped us get to this point, and thank you for keeping us informed.

wildhawker
12-28-2010, 7:27 PM
El Dorado residents should especially thank Gray Peterson, a fellow 2A warrior hailing from Washington (state).

ccwtrainer
12-29-2010, 1:03 AM

The application form will still be the same old standardized DOJ form that choprzrul listed a link to three posts up.

The main change in the process will be quite simply that you won't need some big elaborate explanation for your good cause statement. Sheriff D'Agostini has made it pretty clear that "self defense" is a good enough reason in his book for you to qualify for a CCW (of course along with the absence of any disqualifying criminal or mental history).

scratch
01-03-2011, 5:25 PM
El Dorado residents should especially thank Gray Peterson, a fellow 2A warrior hailing from Washington (state).

Thanks Gray!! I also want to thank all the voters of this county for voting for a Sheriff that is honest in addition to his views on the 2A and the Constitution. Well run campaign John!!

ccwtrainer...do you know if they will be eliminating the 3 character letters?

scratch
01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
I just got this in an email from our local gun club:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcczFzSZsY&feature=player_embedded

Listen to his message towards the end of the video.

Congratulations Sheriff John D'Agostini !!

Dexster
01-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Spoke to EDC Sheriff Office, D'Agostini does not take office until the 11th but was sworn in on 1/3.

I plan on dropping my paperwork next week :)

Dexster
01-07-2011, 4:27 PM
Called yesterday and setup my first interview (turning in the application with EDC Records.) I will be meeting with her tuesday to review the application and start the process.

I am using the standard DOJ CCW forum and will be using Personal Defense as my justification.

Wish me luck!

uyoga
01-08-2011, 8:37 AM
Please do keep us posted on the detailed progress of your application.

Sheriff D'Agostini campaigned heavily on his support for CCW, and the whole process should be smooth sailing for you.

Best of Luck.

Hogxtz
01-08-2011, 7:16 PM
Yes I would like to know as well. I am still waiting to see him change the ccw requirements on the Sheriff internet site.

ccwtrainer
01-08-2011, 7:41 PM
Called yesterday and setup my first interview (turning in the application with EDC Records.) I will be meeting with her tuesday to review the application and start the process.

I am using the standard DOJ CCW forum and will be using Personal Defense as my justification.

Wish me luck!

You will have no problems whatsoever, of course provided that you don't have any obvious disqualifying factors. Sheriff D'Agostini is a very stand up guy and he will certainly live up to his word. In fact I just spoke with him earlier today. You couldn't have a better man in that office.

coq
01-09-2011, 4:42 AM
You will have no problems whatsoever, of course provided that you don't have any obvious disqualifying factors. Sheriff D'Agostini is a very stand up guy and he will certainly live up to his word. In fact I just spoke with him earlier today. You couldn't have a better man in that office.

Good news there. I realize it's early on, but do you have knowledge of upcoming official changes to polices/requirements (such as letters of recommendation, etc) that were put in place by previous administration...in both EDC permit and renewal processes?

ccwtrainer
01-09-2011, 6:11 AM
Good news there. I realize it's early on, but do you have knowledge of upcoming official changes to polices/requirements (such as letters of recommendation, etc) that were put in place by previous administration...in both EDC permit and renewal processes?

Yes. At the request of Sheriff D'Agostini, a committee of CCW Instructors was gathered to change the CCW policy. The Sheriff's goal was to get rid of unnecessary restrictions and make the whole process as common sense oriented as a government agency possibly can. We did exactly that. One of the foolish requirements that we got rid of was the "letters of recommendation" policy. You will not be subjected to that. Also, we lifted the restriction that was stamped on the permit stating that "THIS LICENSE IS NOT VALID OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA". So, now you can enjoy the reciprocity that 16 other states grant you. A couple other changes are that the permit will be on a plastic card rather than a piece of paper and you'll be allowed to have as many guns listed on the permit as will fit; we estimated 5. The most important change is simply that the Sheriff is willing to accept "self defense" as a good cause statement.

I really see Sheriff D'Agostini making every effort he can to make the CCW process as open as possible.

I hope this helps.

coq
01-09-2011, 6:43 AM
Yes. At the request of Sheriff D'Agostini, a committee of CCW Instructors was gathered to change the CCW policy. The Sheriff's goal was to get rid of unnecessary restrictions and make the whole process as common sense oriented as a government agency possibly can. We did exactly that. One of the foolish requirements that we got rid of was the "letters of recommendation" policy. You will not be subjected to that. Also, we lifted the restriction that was stamped on the permit stating that "THIS LICENSE IS NOT VALID OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA". So, now you can enjoy the reciprocity that 16 other states grant you. A couple other changes are that the permit will be on a plastic card rather than a piece of paper and you'll be allowed to have as many guns listed on the permit as will fit; we estimated 5. The most important change is simply that the Sheriff is willing to accept "self defense" as a good cause statement.

I really see Sheriff D'Agostini making every effort he can to make the CCW process as open as possible.

I hope this helps.

Sure does help. Great news all around. Thanks.

uyoga
01-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Looks like the commitee did a good job. Did the concept of "good moral character" get defined yet?

sacto929
01-09-2011, 2:29 PM
Dexter,

Whom did you call to set up the appointment? I mailed my application last week and have not received a call back, nor was I able to find any updated info on the county website last time I looked.

Thanks.

15thaf5thbw
01-10-2011, 8:16 AM
I walked in my application on 1/5 and was told by the female officer (Walker? Walkley?) who took it that the next step would be that THEY would contact me. I signed nothing per instruction and they collected no $.

wildhawker
01-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I walked in my application on 1/5 and was told by the female officer (Walker? Walkley?) who took it that the next step would be that THEY would contact me. I signed nothing per instruction and they collected no $.

Did they issue you a receipt of the application?

The problem is that there are 2 deadlines which have to be considered, and a lack of a signed application means it remains incomplete and uncertified.

15thaf5thbw
01-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Did they issue you a receipt of the application?

The problem is that there are 2 deadlines which have to be considered, and a lack of a signed application means it remains incomplete and uncertified.

Nope. No receipt. And I asked about a receipt and was told that they only issue receipts if an exchange of funds takes place, and since they told me to not sign it and to not pay them any money at that time ... no receipt. I thought it was peculiar, and am now beginning to get a bit worried about my application getting "lost in the shuffle". :confused:

wildhawker
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Nope. No receipt. And I asked about a receipt and was told that they only issue receipts if an exchange of funds takes place, and since they told me to not sign it and to not pay them any money at that time ... no receipt. I thought it was peculiar, and am now beginning to get a bit worried about my application getting "lost in the shuffle". :confused:

Assuming ElDo is now "friendly", probably not, but I'm curious about this odd system of acceptance. I hope you kept a copy for your records and took copious notes with persons/times/etc.

Hogxtz
01-10-2011, 2:45 PM
My buddy works for the jail as a detention aid. He just applied for a renewal. The records clerk sent his app back to him via inter-department mail and said he needs to supply proof of employment and a letter from his supervisor. Is that stupid or what? This just happened 2 days ago.

So I would say its safe to assume that our process has not changed yet, in fact it has worsened. I also beleive that there is a lack of training in the records dept which is why some have trouble and some do not. Also, the head clerk that over saw the ccw program just retired, so it may be a while untill their process is corrected. The new Sheriff takes his office soon. Hopefully it will be rectified than.

Socom16Fan
01-11-2011, 6:28 AM
Assuming ElDo is now "friendly", probably not, but I'm curious about this odd system of acceptance. I hope you kept a copy for your records and took copious notes with persons/times/etc.

EDSO requires a quick appointment to go over your application with you prior to "submittal". Is essentially a 15 minute review or help filling the application out so there are no mistakes.

Myself and several folks have seen this process and it has gone very smoothly and the deputies are polite and pleasant. The process has changed ALOT. Including most importantly "personal protection" being the only good cause required.

Keep in mind the new Sheriff is just that...brand new. Sheriff D'agostini will need time to rettrain his staff in cases where they are not following the new and streamlined procedures. This SO office has been doing things one way...the wrong way for a long time.

Get down to the records office and ask for an interview. Fill out the standard CAL DOJ CCW application appropriately so when you get your interview you are just reviewing it. No questions have been asked during this interview regardng cause, background, need, etc...they only seem to be making sure it is filled out accurately so it doesnt get kicked back. This is very fast and polite.

Who knows, in many cases, after this, you may not be required to even get interviewed... ;)

Socom16Fan
01-11-2011, 6:37 AM
My buddy works for the jail as a detention aid. He just applied for a renewal. The records clerk sent his app back to him via inter-department mail and said he needs to supply proof of employment and a letter from his supervisor. Is that stupid or what? This just happened 2 days ago.

So I would say its safe to assume that our process has not changed yet, in fact it has worsened. I also beleive that there is a lack of training in the records dept which is why some have trouble and some do not. Also, the head clerk that over saw the ccw program just retired, so it may be a while untill their process is corrected. The new Sheriff takes his office soon. Hopefully it will be rectified than.

I met with the Sheriff last night and he is in process of re-educating his staff as quickly as possible. Keep in mind he has only been in office 1 week. He IS one of the good guys so please be patient if you have an experience like this. it will change quickly!

sacto929
01-11-2011, 8:03 AM
EDSO requires a quick appointment to go over your application with you prior to "submittal". Is essentially a 15 minute review or help filling the application out so there are no mistakes.

Get down to the records office and ask for an interview....

Sorry for the dumb question. Is the records office mentioned above at the SO HQ in Placerville, or is it the county Public Records office?

Thanks.

Socom16Fan
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
^^^^^

Not dumb question at all. You want to go to the records office at the Sheriifs station NOT the county records building next door.

Dexster
01-11-2011, 10:57 AM
I returned from my application submittion appointment an hour ago... Great Experience... The EDSD was very kind and easy to do business with. Make sure to bring cash or check since they don't take CC or Debt. It costs $125.

They told me that it will be 4 weeks and that there is not a second interview, they will conduct the BG and then they will call me back to pick up my permit.

Regardless if it's a requirement or not I plan on taking Socom16Fan's training course just to cover some sort of law that i may not have known and to get more comfortable with a CCW.

wildhawker
01-11-2011, 1:54 PM

Tell your buddy to tell them no, and have him contact me if they refuse him service.

sacto929
01-11-2011, 2:12 PM
I returned from my application submittion appointment an hour ago... Great Experience... The EDSD was very kind and easy to do business with. Make sure to bring cash or check since they don't take CC or Debt. It costs $125.

They told me that it will be 4 weeks and that there is not a second interview, they will conduct the BG and then they will call me back to pick up my permit.

Regardless if it's a requirement or not I plan on taking Socom16Fan's training course just to cover some sort of law that i may not have known and to get more comfortable with a CCW.

That's great news. Do you happen to have a phone number to set up the appointment?

moosehog
01-11-2011, 2:24 PM
Submitted my renewal app today to EDSO. Was told that in 2-3 weeks they would call to set up appt to come pick up permit.
Deputy at records counter said the new sheriff is officially: (a) not requiring the 3 character letters; and (b) going to consider personal protection = good cause.
Fee for renewal was $82 in cash or check only.

thatrogue
01-11-2011, 3:55 PM
Will he issue permits for non-residents working in county?

sacto929
01-12-2011, 8:51 AM
For those interested in applying, you need to schedule an appointment.

1. Call the EDSO @ (530) 621-5655 and ask for the Records Desk. They will schedule you for an appointment (right now, they're a week out, but that will increase soon...).

I didn't see this until this afternoon...EDSO CCW Online Appointment Scheduler (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383229)

2. At the appointment, they will take and review your DOJ application, take your picture and finger prints, and conduct an interview. As was stated before, at that appointment, they will collect a non-refundable fee of $125.

I just got back to the computer after stopping in to drop off my application. The deputy did a cursory review, then scheduled me for an appointment and gave the application back to me with the information above.

The deputy was very pleasant and helpful. I think that they are in the midst of rolling with the policy changes right now.

I hope this helps for others in need of the info. :cool:

Hogxtz
01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Wildhawker,
Thank you very much Wildhawker, I will tell him. As of yesterday it appears that the problems are starting to get corrected per Gray Petersons post in the 2a thread on El Dorado CCW. It may take the Dept. a while to catch up and update. I saw that today the online ccw app still shows Kollars as Sheriff and requires the 3 letters.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383229

konata88
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the great update.

For the first appointment, do you fill out sections 1-3 (read sections 4,5) and stop there? Do you bring your weapons to the first or second appointment?

When do you take a CCW class - anytime before the second appointment?

For those interested in applying, you need to schedule an appointment.

1. Call the EDSO @ (530) 621-5655 and ask for the Records Desk. They will schedule you for an appointment (right now, they're a week out, but that will increase soon...).

2. At the appointment, they will take and review your DOJ application, take your picture and finger prints, and conduct an interview. As was stated before, at that appointment, they will collect a non-refundable fee of $125.

I just got back to the computer after stopping in to drop off my application. The deputy did a cursory review, then scheduled me for an appointment and gave the application back to me with the information above.

The deputy was very pleasant and helpful. I think that they are in the midst of rolling with the policy changes right now.

I hope this helps for others in need of the info. :cool:

sacto929
01-12-2011, 1:08 PM
Thanks for the great update.

For the first appointment, do you fill out sections 1-3 (read sections 4,5) and stop there? Do you bring your weapons to the first or second appointment?

When do you take a CCW class - anytime before the second appointment?

The deputy didn't make any mention of either training classes or weapons inspection. I'm sure they'll cover that in the initial interview.

I filled out the whole thing minus the signatures. I figure that any notes the interviewing deputy might make will be in addition to my answers to the questions.

PS--I modified my last post to include the link to the really cool online scheduler for appointments. Thanks be to Gray Petersen for his post in the main section. :cool:

ccwtrainer
01-12-2011, 1:57 PM
Looks like the commitee did a good job. Did the concept of "good moral character" get defined yet?

No. I doubt that anyone wants the responsibility of setting a definition on that phrase.

Assuming ElDo is now "friendly", probably not, but I'm curious about ...

Just know that once Sheriff D'Agostini gets settled in and has an opportunity to train his personnel on the changes, things will be "very friendly". Remember, it's a government agency. Also, keep in mind that CCW policy is one of many important agendas that the Sheriff has to spend time on. We're very fortunate that things are changing this quickly. If anyone requires the process to be perfected, then wait a couple of months before applying. Otherwise, roll with it, keep a good attitude and be grateful that we have someone in office who supports our point of view, who listens and who's making supportive/positive changes on behalf of this highly controversial issue.

One last thing, a big thank you is in order to Brandon, Gray and many others who I don't know, for pressing on despite the opinions or view points of the Sheriff's and Chief's of Police. This is a big fight and these guys have dedicated their time and efforts to make every county and city in California a more CCW friendly place. Thank you very much fellas!

15thaf5thbw
01-12-2011, 5:05 PM
Many thanks to all who provided valuable, sobering advice and encouragement about being patient and rolling with the flow of things. I called the EDSO Records Office today to ask for an (initial) appointment and was later contacted back by the Officer who originally took my application on 1/5. She was very polite and helpful; I am sure they are working very hard over there to effect the changes quickly and yet keep the process movng ... so a big thank-you to those folks at the SO. And I am now slated for an appointment next week. This is very exciting folks!

Born and raised a Californian I was CCW licensed back some time ago when I had to move to Oregon for a short time for work, and this whole process here now seems a lot closer to the "shall issue" policy Oregon had at that time. After moving back to California I have always been troubled by having had to relinquish that right. But now it seems as if, yes here in California, the acknowledgement and honoring of this same right is about to take place. Very exciting indeed!

So yes, many many thanks to Gray Peterson, Brandon Combs (wildhawker), Socom16Fan, ccwtrainer, and I am sure others, for answering questions and offering assistance, and for their devotion to this cause. Thanky-you gentlemen! And also a heart-felt thank-you to Sheriff D'Agostini as well for being a true stand-up guy.

Good luck to everyone, and be and stay safe.

Hogxtz
01-12-2011, 7:37 PM
Thanks to CGF staff, Wildhawker, Gray, and especially our new Sheriff for all their hard work and commitment.

thatrogue
01-12-2011, 8:27 PM
Will he issue permits for non-residents working in county?

Anybody have any idea about this?

sacto929
01-13-2011, 6:39 AM
Anybody have any idea about this?

At the risk of providing a non-answer, I don't directly have any knowledge, but I suppose you could call the EDSO Records Desk and ask, or set an appointment and start the process. :o

sacto929
01-18-2011, 8:04 PM
So I had my appointment today, dropped off the app, signed everything, did the fingerprints and picture. The deputy said that it would be a couple of weeks for the background check and they'd give me a call. She didn't give any indication of "the next step". Does anyone happen to know what "the next step" is these days in EDCo? I am imagining it to be the training class, but I don't know....

Thanks!

Hogxtz
01-19-2011, 9:48 AM
Sacto99
The employees in the records dept. are not deputies, they are Sheriff's technicians (clerks).
I was always under the impression that the training class for ccw required by Ca law should be completed before you apply for the ccw so when you pass the background a permit license can be issued. They didnt ask you to submit the certificate with the ccw app?

sacto929
01-19-2011, 9:55 AM
Sacto99
The employees in the records dept. are not deputies, they are Sheriff's technicians (clerks).
I was always under the impression that the training class for ccw required by Ca law should be completed before you apply for the ccw so when you pass the background a permit license can be issued. They didnt ask you to submit the certificate with the ccw app?

Nope, didn't ask for or mention any training class. I have also read the statute and understand the training requirement, but there is also a 90-day life on the training certificate from my reading of other county's requirements. While I consider my personal background check to not yield anything interesting, I try to hold off on outlaying money before I am certain of the return.

15thaf5thbw
01-19-2011, 4:42 PM
I completed my appointment today 1/19 for initial application review/signing. Ditto what Sacto929 reported ... review & sign application, fingerprints, copies of everything (CDL, weapons receipts, etc.), and picture taken. Took about 20 minutes. I asked for and received a full-copy of my signed application. Ditto the no next steps communicated. I asked and was told that the next step would be that they would call me to inform me of my pass/fail of the BGC. I asked if when I took the required CCW training if I would have to "qualify" with ALL weapons cited on the application. Was told they didn't know the details of the "training" but didn't think I would need to qualify with EACH and ALL weapons listed, etc.

So I guess that question stands open. Since I put down 5 weapons on my application (used an attached sheet as requested on the appl.) will I have to qualify with ALL 5? Who knows THE answer?

sacto929
01-19-2011, 6:02 PM
I completed my appointment today 1/19 for initial application review/signing. Ditto what Sacto929 reported ... review & sign application, fingerprints, copies of everything (CDL, weapons receipts, etc.), and picture taken. Took about 20 minutes. I asked for and received a full-copy of my signed application. Ditto the no next steps communicated. I asked and was told that the next step would be that they would call me to inform me of my pass/fail of the BGC. I asked if when I took the required CCW training if I would have to "qualify" with ALL weapons cited on the application. Was told they didn't know the details of the "training" but didn't think I would need to qualify with EACH and ALL weapons listed, etc.

So I guess that question stands open. Since I put down 5 weapons on my application (used an attached sheet as requested on the appl.) will I have to qualify with ALL 5? Who knows THE answer?

Damn, I should have asked for a copy of the signed application....:chris: I had already made a copy before the signing party.

I believe that state statutes require the training and require qualification with each weapon on the permit. I sure want to find the PC section, but I can't seem to find it and the CGF flowchart won't open on the Macbook.:mad:

All in all, I couldn't have imagined it going any smoother to this point.

wildhawker
01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Damn, I should have asked for a copy of the signed application....:chris: I had already made a copy before the signing party.

I believe that state statutes require the training and require qualification with each weapon on the permit. I sure want to find the PC section, but I can't seem to find it and the CGF flowchart won't open on the Macbook.:mad:

All in all, I couldn't have imagined it going any smoother to this point.

Nope, no state requirement on range quals; the initial training could legally be a 15 minute group hug as long as it covers the topics outlined in PC 12050.

ccwtrainer
01-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Correct. PC 12050 only mandates that the training course include the topics of gun safety and permisible use laws. In some cases the issuing agency requires qualifications with each firearm. In this case, El Dorado S/O does not. Each instructor approved by the Sheriff dictates that little aspect of the course.

ccwtrainer
01-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Sacto99

Some counties require the course to be taken prior to the application process. Other's suggest that you take it after receiving your approval letter. El Dorado County, under the office of the new Sheriff, doesn't care either way. Sheriff D'Agostini is more of a common sense oriented man. He's trying to make the process as open as it can be, within the law.

Dexster
01-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Recieved a call back today, FBI rejected my fingerprints because of "duplicates" so I need to go back in to redo those next week.

Jamie from Records also mentioned that when they call me back after the BG check is complete I will need to complete a training course prior to the issuing of the permit. So Socom16fan, I'll be calling you very soon to setup a time for myself and my buddy. If anyone else here would be interested in a 8 hour course PM me and we can figure out a weekend for it.

FYI Socom16fan, I picked up a Crossbread Super Tuck Delux for my S&W Bodyguard and will check out the others you mentioned over the phone for my P99.

konata88
01-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Weapons receipts? Isn't DROS check good enough?

I'm only aware that we need to bring the following to the first appt:
1) CDL
2) Completed application
3) Payment

Are we required to bring other docs?

doubleup16
01-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I just completed my interview today. I only needed the app, CDL, proof of residency in the form of a bill or other? and money.

No other documentation was asked for.

Here are the approved handgun courses:

-See Page 3 for updated and complete list-

Gray Peterson
01-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Weapons receipts? Isn't DROS check good enough?

I'm only aware that we need to bring the following to the first appt:
1) CDL
2) Completed application
3) Payment

Are we required to bring other docs?

No. As for "weapon reciepts" and proof of registration, these violate GC53071 and PC12051. The sheriff's office shouldn't be requiring them and I do not believe they are.

sacto929
01-20-2011, 11:08 AM
doubleup16--

Where did you get the list of classes? I still can't find anything on the county website....

Thanks.

sacto929
01-20-2011, 11:10 AM
No. As for "weapon reciepts" and proof of registration, these violate GC53071 and PC12051. The sheriff's office shouldn't be requiring them and I do not believe they are.

When I did mine, I had copies of my AFS and Records of Ownership, but they stayed in the briefcase. Not needed....

Gray Peterson
01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
When I did mine, I had copies of my AFS and Records of Ownership, but they stayed in the briefcase. Not needed....

Outstanding.

15thaf5thbw
01-20-2011, 1:09 PM
On 1/12 when I was called to set up my 1/19 appointment I was told that I needed to bring:

Proof of Residency - CDL
Weapons Receipts
Check or Cash for $125

So on 1/19 when I arrived I had all of that information. At the end of the whole appointment process I was not asked for the weapons receipts but since they had previously asked me to bring them in and I had brought them with me I asked if they were still going to need them (thinking that maybe they had forgotten and that I wouldn't want to have to come back later and bring them in again, etc.). So if I had NOT asked that then I would not have had that info photocopied.

Is there some legal jeopardy I have placed myself in by having relinquished this information when I did not have to do so? They already have the weapon SN's from the application. What harm is there in also knowing when and where I purchased the weapons, and for how much?

Nevertheless, I guess it does irk me that the process seems to vary from one person to the next, from day to day, and that I got "caught" by one of those "variances". I guess it'll get "cleaned up" at some point.

It is what it is.

Gray Peterson
01-20-2011, 1:14 PM
Is there some legal jeopardy I have placed myself in by having relinquished this information when I did not have to do so? They already have the weapon SN's from the application. What harm is there in also knowing when and where I purchased the weapons, and for how much?

53071. It is the intention of the Legislature to occupy the whole field of regulation of the registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms as encompassed by the provisions of the Penal Code, and such provisions shall be exclusive of all local regulations, relating to registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms, by any political subdivision as defined in Section 1721 of the Labor Code.

Political subdivision=county.

15thaf5thbw
01-20-2011, 2:05 PM
53071. It is the intention of the Legislature to occupy the whole field of regulation of the registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms as encompassed by the provisions of the Penal Code, and such provisions shall be exclusive of all local regulations, relating to registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms, by any political subdivision as defined in Section 1721 of the Labor Code.

Political subdivision=county.

I am sort of on the edge of the brink of getting it ... but can you explain it to me as if I'm a 9-year-old? This legal stuff makes my head spin. :confused:

doubleup16
01-20-2011, 2:15 PM
Before leaving my appt. today I asked for a list of approved courses. These two pages were handed to me so I scanned them for all to have access to.

doubleup16--

Where did you get the list of classes? I still can't find anything on the county website....

Thanks.

Gray Peterson
01-20-2011, 2:23 PM
I am sort of on the edge of the brink of getting it ... but can you explain it to me as if I'm a 9-year-old? This legal stuff makes my head spin. :confused:

Only the state can direct the registration of firearms, not the city PD's, county sheriff's, or other forms of city/county/municipal government. They can't do it as a general law, or do it individually. State Preemption of Registration and Licensing.

ccwtrainer
01-20-2011, 2:48 PM
Before leaving my appt. today I asked for a list of approved courses. These two pages were handed to me so I scanned them for all to have access to.

Sucks for me. I've been an El Dorado S/O approved instructor for quite some time now and as you can see, I'm not on the list!

I'm getting on the phone right now.

ccwtrainer
01-20-2011, 9:00 PM
This might be helpful for all of you in El Dorado County. I spoke with Sheriff D'Agostini this afternoon (after seeing that my name, amongst others, is not on the apparent incomplete list of approved instructors posted on the previous page of this thread) and I asked a few questions that were posted in this thread and that have come to me via PM or e-mail. These were the questions and his responses (all in my words):

1. At what point in the application process do you require applicants to submit their guns and/or ammo for inspection by your Armorer?

Not at all, unless the gun listed on the application is something that's quite unusual.

2. Do you restrict CCW holders from carrying in school zones or do you follow what's written in PC626.9(l) and USC Title 18 Section 922(q)(2)(B)(ii) which exempts CCW holders from this?

CCW's issued from the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department are not restricted in school zones pursuant PC626.9. The goal is to allow whatever the law allows and to restrict only what the law requires any department to restrict.

3. What alterations or modifications to guns will you allow and what won't you allow?

Allowed: Grips, grip screws, mag releases, slide release levers, sights, beaver tail grip safeties, thumb safeties ... pretty much anything that won't affect the safe operation and/or safe handling of the gun. Just be sure that the parts are installed properly (by a competent person) and that they work the way they're supposed to.
Not allowed: Removal of safeties, reduced or lightened triggers to the point that they're an accident waiting to happen (there's no set poundage that is acceptable or not, just use common sense, you don't want a 2lb trigger pull on a carry gun and you certainly don't want to have to answer to a DA Investigator why your trigger pull is so light). Note: there may be more items that are unacceptable that we just didn't discuss. If you have to really question it, it's probably not OK.

4. Is there a minimum length required of the initial and renewal courses?

Initial - 8 hours
Renewal - 4 hours

5. Is there a required time before or during the application process that the training course must be completed?

Shortly before or during the application process is fine. You don't have to turn in a completion certificate with your application but, you can if you want to. The goal is to streamline the process so it's consistent and efficient, so you can get everything done in a couple of visits.

6. Do you require a specific qualification course of fire or the use of a specific target?

No. That's completely up to the instructor.

This is yet another conversation with the Sheriff that solidifies that he's very pro-CCW for the good guys. It should be pretty apparent that he's doing all that he can to make this process simple and painless for all of us. A big "THANK YOU" goes out again to Sheriff John D'Agostini.

sacto929
01-20-2011, 9:54 PM
ccwtrainer--

Thank you for the additional info and for doing the legwork to gather the info. Sheriff D'Agostini is living up to his campaign promises.

While it is frustrating at times to take part in the process while it is being developed, we must also realize that the Sheriff has issues to deal with beyond just CCW policy. It will take a while to get the wrinkles ironed out and hopefully those of us on CG can assist in this process.

Thanks again to Sheriff D'Agostini for injecting some pragmatism into this policy, and thank you to ccwtrainer, Gray and others who directly interface with the Sheriff for passing along this information ahead of the grinding wheels of administrative process. :cool:

15thaf5thbw
01-21-2011, 4:48 PM
... I spoke with Sheriff D'Agostini this afternoon (after seeing that my name, amongst others, is not on the apparent incomplete list of approved instructors posted on the previous page of this thread) ...

So did you get back on the list?

And ditto what you and Sacto929 said about being grateful to him for honoring our rights.

ccwtrainer
01-21-2011, 6:39 PM
So did you get back on the list?

And ditto what you and Sacto929 said about being grateful to him for honoring our rights.

It turns out, I was never off of the list. The list posted on the previous page is incomplete. The bottom of the second page and the whole third page are missing from the list in that post. I actually have a PDF copy of it that the Sheriff's Department sent me today. I just don't know how to post it in an image format like doubleup16 did, otherwise I'd have it on here.

Here's the PDF with the complete list: 82793

ccwtrainer
01-21-2011, 6:45 PM
ccwtrainer--

Thank you for the additional info and for doing the legwork to gather the info. Sheriff D'Agostini is living up to his campaign promises.

While it is frustrating at times to take part in the process while it is being developed, we must also realize that the Sheriff has issues to deal with beyond just CCW policy. It will take a while to get the wrinkles ironed out and hopefully those of us on CG can assist in this process.

Thanks again to Sheriff D'Agostini for injecting some pragmatism into this policy, and thank you to ccwtrainer, Gray and others who directly interface with the Sheriff for passing along this information ahead of the grinding wheels of administrative process. :cool:

You are very welcome.

I had fun teaching your class today. Great job qualifying!! You're a very safe and good gun handler! See you out at IDPA.

obeygiant
01-21-2011, 8:24 PM
It turns out, I was never off of the list. The list posted on the previous page is incomplete. The bottom of the second page and the whole third page are missing from the list in that post. I actually have a PDF copy of it that the Sheriff's Department sent me today. I just don't know how to post it in an image format like doubleup16 did, otherwise I'd have it on here.

Here's the PDF with the complete list: 82793
pics

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9006/sapprovedinstructorspag.th.png (http://img202.imageshack.us/i/sapprovedinstructorspag.png/)
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9006/sapprovedinstructorspag.th.png (http://img228.imageshack.us/i/sapprovedinstructorspag.png/)
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9006/sapprovedinstructorspag.th.png (http://img545.imageshack.us/i/sapprovedinstructorspag.png/)
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9006/sapprovedinstructorspag.th.png (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/sapprovedinstructorspag.png/)

ccwtrainer
01-22-2011, 8:28 AM
Thanks.

konata88
01-26-2011, 7:55 AM
Anybody got theirs yet?

sacto929
01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Check was cashed. Otherwise, still waiting....

konata88
02-02-2011, 5:14 PM
Anybody. Any news?

sacto929
02-02-2011, 6:10 PM
Nyet....

jeferd
02-10-2011, 8:50 AM
El Dorado County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/97-el-dorado)

The DOJ link no longer works...anyone know if there is a link to this form that works and can be completed online and printed? Thanks

sacto929
02-10-2011, 6:38 PM
As we near the end of another week, has anyone received any news regarding their application? Nothing new regarding mine....

15thaf5thbw
02-10-2011, 7:37 PM
Appl. processed 1/19. Nothing yet.

Does anyone know if the EDSO has made a final decision regarding whether or not serial numbers will be put on the license? I believe the prior standard was that SNs were put on the license, but I'm hoping they will drop that.

Gray Peterson
02-10-2011, 8:04 PM
Serial numbers are required to be on the license. What you mean is "proof of registration" right?

TahoeSig
02-11-2011, 6:27 AM
For those of you in the application process, I'm curious how many guns EDSO is currently allowing on the permit. My current permit allows 3, but in private discussions with one of the certified instructors, it was mentioned that the new Sheriff was going to permit 5 as that was the maximum number they could fit on the permit. Anyone know first hand what the SO is currently saying?

sacto929
02-11-2011, 7:23 AM
For those of you in the application process, I'm curious how many guns EDSO is currently allowing on the permit. My current permit allows 3, but in private discussions with one of the certified instructors, it was mentioned that the new Sheriff was going to permit 5 as that was the maximum number they could fit on the permit. Anyone know first hand what the SO is currently saying?

There wasn't any official word. I put down 5 and there were no questions. If I owned more, I might have put them down to gage the reaction....

15thaf5thbw
02-11-2011, 7:34 AM
Serial numbers are required to be on the license. What you mean is "proof of registration" right?

Perhaps it would have been better for me to have asked if EDSO is thinking of changing or has made a change to the requirement of having SNs on the license. I say this because of what happened during my application/interview process.

I have a prior CCW from Oregon. The California DOJ application asks you to cite (provide information about) any prior CCWs, so I did. I also brought the Oregon CCW License with me to the interview and when the EDSO representative examined it she made a comment like "Oh, so they DON'T put SNs on theirs! Hmmm.". This lead me to believe they might have been entertaining the thought of eliminating that requirement.

Hence my question, which as I said I could have worded better.

I know it's a long, long shot, but I figured it was worth the inquiry.

TahoeSig
02-11-2011, 1:06 PM
There wasn't any official word. I put down 5 and there were no questions. If I owned more, I might have put them down to gage the reaction....

Thanks for the response. I have to re-up in about 3-4 months and I have 9 that I could list. Maybe I'll be the test case if someone doesn't beat me to it. On my NV permit, they allow any gun you qualify with (semi-auto) and any revolver as long as you've qualified with at least one revolver (I borrowed one from the instructor just to have that option if I ever buy a wheel gun).

ccwtrainer
02-15-2011, 9:46 AM
Perhaps it would have been better for me to have asked if EDSO is thinking of changing or has made a change to the requirement of having SNs on the license. I say this because of what happened during my application/interview process.

I have a prior CCW from Oregon. The California DOJ application asks you to cite (provide information about) any prior CCWs, so I did. I also brought the Oregon CCW License with me to the interview and when the EDSO representative examined it she made a comment like "Oh, so they DON'T put SNs on theirs! Hmmm.". This lead me to believe they might have been entertaining the thought of eliminating that requirement.

Hence my question, which as I said I could have worded better.

I know it's a long, long shot, but I figured it was worth the inquiry.

The make, serial number & caliber of each gun authorized must be listed on every California permit according to CA PC 12051(a)(1).

PC 12051 (a) (1) The standard application form for licenses described
in paragraph (3) shall require information from the applicant
including, but not limited to, the name, occupation, residence and
business address of the applicant, his or her age, height, weight,
color of eyes and hair, and reason for desiring a license to carry
the weapon. Applications for licenses shall be filed in writing, and
signed by the applicant. Any license issued upon the application
shall set forth the licensee's name, occupation, residence and
business address, his or her age, height, weight, color of eyes and
hair, the reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon, and
shall, in addition, contain a description of the weapon or weapons
authorized to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the
serial number, and the caliber. The license issued to the licensee
may be laminated.

ccwtrainer
02-15-2011, 9:58 AM

5 guns is the limit on EDSO issued CCW permits. This came straight from Sheriff D'Agostini to me in a face to face conversation.

15thaf5thbw
02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
The make, serial number & caliber of each gun authorized must be listed on every California permit according to CA PC 12051(a)(1).

PC 12051 (a) (1) The standard application form for licenses described
serial number, and the caliber. The license issued to the licensee
may be laminated.

Stupid of me. I should have realized it isn't at the county's discretion but rather CA State Law.

Gray Peterson
02-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Right, what they mean is checking the registration status of the serial numbers in the AFS database.

ccwtrainer
02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Stupid of me. I should have realized it isn't at the county's discretion but rather CA State Law.

No big deal. It's impossible to read and know every law. That's the great thing about the variety of people and knowledge here on Calguns. We can all learn from one another.

doubleup16
02-17-2011, 2:04 PM
I just got a call to set up an interview and to check my weapon for safety! I turned in my app. on the 20th of last month.

15thaf5thbw
02-17-2011, 3:12 PM
Ditto re: the call. Appl submitted 1/19. interview appt for next Tue.

sacto929
02-17-2011, 6:00 PM
Cool guys! My initial appointment was on the 18th, but no callback yet....

jeferd
02-18-2011, 11:29 AM
What is the second interview?? When application was turned in, we went over the "interviewer's questions" at first appointment that are listed on CA DOJ application. SHould the CCW class be taken before the second interview or after that one? Thanks for the input.

Socom16Fan
02-18-2011, 7:04 PM
Second interview should be a brief Q&A and a likely quick inspection of your firearms. You will do this with a particular Lt. that has taken over the oversight o the CCW process.

The whole process should start moving along a bit quicker in the next 30 days as the new policies and team get things streamlined.

Socom16Fan
02-18-2011, 7:06 PM
...and I am training folks typically after the first interview. I am doing a class of 8 next week of folks who are in between interviews.

doubleup16
02-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Socom16Fan: You have a PM.

sacto929
02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
How did the second interviews go? Did you guys walk away with your permits in hand?

When I called about my application process, the nice lady said that they were still waiting to get my background check back from FBI / DOJ, and that they were also checking with my previous county of residence since I have not been in EDCo for 5 years. She indicated that FBI / DOJ is very backlogged due to the increase in applications.

Hopefully, I'll hear good news soon....

15thaf5thbw
02-23-2011, 2:20 PM
How did the second interviews go? Did you guys walk away with your permits in hand?

When I called about my application process, the nice lady said that they were still waiting to get my background check back from FBI / DOJ, and that they were also checking with my previous county of residence since I have not been in EDCo for 5 years. She indicated that FBI / DOJ is very backlogged due to the increase in applications.

Hopefully, I'll hear good news soon....

Interview was easy going / casual. Basic Qs and some chat ... Why do you want to carry a gun? Where have you lived? etc. ... basic sizing you up as a "person", etc. The Deputy that interviewed me was super nice; just a basic guy who obviously likes being a LEO and was a "gun guy". He covered the bases by bringing up major issues like knowing how serious this is, knowing when and when not to use DF, advice about seriously looking into additional "situational awareness & tactical training", etc. We talked for about 20 minutes then he said he was approving my application and would turn it back into the Records Office the following day (i.e. today). Did a cursory inspection of my weapons, and we were done. Next step, they would contact me about the next steps of the process; obtaining a CCW Training Certificate and then scheduling a final appt to pick up the License. He said it is taking them about another 2 weeks to finalize that last part. Not clear on how the timing of the training and the schceduling of the final appt all come together, but I assume I won't have to wait until my training is complete before scheduling that final appt. License will be laminated paper; don't yet have the (I assume) hard-card / mag-card printing equipment up and running just yet. I asked if I would be able to "exchange" my laminated paper license for a hard-card / mag-card once they are available and he said probably yes. Now just waiting again for them to contact me as I was told they would.

Good luck. Let us know if you run into anythiong different than this.

Dexster
02-23-2011, 7:02 PM
Received my call today...

I'm fully approved and just need to complete my training course. Planned on taking it with Chris (Socom16) but depending on his availability I might have to squeeze into another class.

Great Experience so far with the department, no complaints here.

TempleKnight
02-23-2011, 8:17 PM
Thanks to all of you that have gone before and got us to this point. I feel like I'm ready because of your posts. Thanks for sharing.

I'm scheduled for my 1st interview on Monday (2/28). My paperwork is good to go and I did a Placer/El Dorado/Sacramento approved 16 hour CCW course so I'm not expecting any surprises.

Dexster
02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks to all of you that have gone before and got us to this point. I feel like I'm ready because of your posts. Thanks for sharing.

I'm scheduled for my 1st interview on Monday (2/28). My paperwork is good to go and I did a Placer/El Dorado/Sacramento approved 16 hour CCW course so I'm not expecting any surprises.

go go go!

sacto929
03-04-2011, 8:11 AM
Now just waiting for the permit pick up! :D

My interview was along the same lines as stated by 15th above. The Lt. provided some examples of how the CCW can be taken away, i.e., don't be a dumbass once you're granted a CCW, regardless of whether or not a gun is involved. :chris:

The process to date:

1. Go online to https://app.timetrade.com/tc/login.do?url=sheriff.eldorado. Register and set an appointment to turn in your application.

2. At the initial appointment, you will turn in your completed application and go over your answers with the technician / clerk, pay the $125 fee (includes Livescan), do the Livescan finger prints, and take a picture for the permit. Should take about 10-15 minutes.

3. EDCo SO will call you to schedule an interview once they get your background check back from FBI, DOJ and any other counties you've lived in within the past 5 years.

4. Interview with EDCo SO officer or deputy to review your good cause, get to know you, explain the responsibilities of CCW, etc. At this point, they will also verify your listed weapons are serviceable and you are knowledgeable in the operation of each. (Transport your listed weapons per law and leave them in your vehicle until asked to inspect them.)

5. EDCo SO Records Department will call to schedule an appointment to come down to Records to do the thumb print for the permit and to pick up the permit.

6. Go to EDCo SO Records to give the thumb print for your permit and pick it up. Bring with you the certificate of completion for your 8-hour minimum CCW training class. (Thanks for the reminder, konata!) Leave with your shiny new permit. :cool:

As has been stated before, EDCo wants you to take at least an 8-hour CCW course for the initial permit. It needs to be completed prior to Step 6 above. My personal timeline has been approximately 6 weeks between Step 2 and Step 4, and approximately 4 weeks between Step 4 and Step 6. Having no idea of the timeline, I took my class right after Step 2. If you're at all unsure of whether or not you will be approved, you should wait until after Step 4 to take the class. I did not ask about any time limit between taking the class and final permit pick up.

I hope this helps!

konata88
03-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Very nice write up. Thanks. Just one thing - CCW class before picking up the permit?

sacto929
03-04-2011, 1:03 PM
Very nice write up. Thanks. Just one thing - CCW class before picking up the permit?

Updated the above per your reminder....

Socom16Fan
03-04-2011, 1:31 PM
I find most of my students will take the course after the first interview/application submission takes place.

Sacto929 lays the process out very accuratley as it is working right now.

doubleup16
03-14-2011, 6:46 PM
I called to make my final appt. today and the earliest they had was the 11th of April!
Bummer.
Took my "training" this weekend. Went well I guess.

15thaf5thbw
03-15-2011, 3:44 PM
1. 01/05/11 - Walked in application.
2. 01/19/11 - Initial application-review / interview appointment. (+14 days / 14 days total)
3. 02/22/11 - Face-to-Face Interview - Weapon's check (+34 days / 48 days total)
4. 03/14/11 - CCW License Issued (+20 days / 68 days total)

If you measure from 01/19/11 to 03/14/11 it's only 54 days. The initial 14 days from 01/05/11 to 01/19/11 was due to them failing to find my application until I called in to verify ... then they found it.

So about 2 months. But who's complaining? ;)

ccwtrainer
03-15-2011, 5:09 PM
As of right now, when you receive your EDSO CCW permit, you will also receive a restrictions page that states that you can not carry on school grounds. This was brought to my attention by one of my recent students. I contacted Sheriff D'Agostini immediately, as this was something that he aimed to remove from the restrictions. He stated that he would look into this and update it accordingly.

I thought you all should know that it's being handled.

sacto929
03-16-2011, 6:57 AM
As of right now, when you receive your EDSO CCW permit, you will also receive a restrictions page that states that you can not carry on school grounds. This was brought to my attention by one of my recent students. I contacted Sheriff D'Agostini immediately, as this was something that he aimed to remove from the restrictions. He stated that he would look into this and update it accordingly.

Wes--

Please work with the Sheriff to eliminate this policy. We appreciate your efforts.

However, the stated "restrictions page" does not limit where the license is valid. Per our own CalGuns Wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/California_License_to_Carry_Concealed_Weapon_%28CC W%29#Where_is_concealed_carry_allowed_by_the_licen se.3F),

Where is concealed carry allowed by the license?
Unless limited by a 12050(b) restriction on the license, a license is valid in the entire state.

Specific exemptions allowing concealed carry for licensees under 12050 are

Penal Code 171b public meetings
Penal Code 171c State Capitol and related areas
Penal Code 171d Governor's mansion and Legislator's residences
Penal Code 626.9(l) School zones (K-12 and college/university)

If one follows the link to 12050(b) (http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/4/2/1/3/s12050), one will find the following:

(b)A license may include any reasonable restrictions or conditions which the issuing authority deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under which the person may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(c)Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be indicated on any license issued.

What this means to us peons, as I read the law, is that our permits need to state, on the permit itself, any restrictions on the license. I have not seen an EDCo permit in person, yet ;) , but bombmaster posted a thread not long ago regarding carrying in a bar (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=393491), and the restriction was printed right on the face of his Sac Co permit. This restriction was mentioned during my interview, but nothing about any other restrrictions.

There is a CGN thread sticky trying to keep tabs on this stuff here. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=338205)

I hope that I'm correct and thorough and not spreading any FUD....

ccwtrainer
03-16-2011, 12:59 PM
I certainly will also bring to the Sheriff's attention that CA PC 12050(b) & (c) state:

"(b)A license may include any reasonable restrictions or conditions which the issuing authority deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under which the person may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(c)Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be indicated on any license issued."

There are two things that I really want you all to keep in mind ... and this is not directed at anyone specifically, just for the sake of the passer by who may get the wrong idea from scanning the content of these posts rather than thoroughly reading them. First, Sheriff D'Agostini's intentions are in the right place so, things like this will be fixed as they are brought up. Second, please don't become a test case by violating a Sheriff's Department policy, just because you have read the law and see an inconsistency. You won't like the process of fighting that fight (if you get caught). Policies like the one were discussing here will get changed shortly. The Sheriff has a number of matters throughout the department, CCW and otherwise, to get up to his standards. It all takes focused time and effort. Unfortunately, he can only tend to so much per day. He really is doing a superb job given the circumstances. Look how far we've come on the CCW issue just since January!!

I know we all feel the same on this but, I want to say that I'm really glad to see you, the good people in society, getting the legal authority to be armed in public! This is the way it should be.

hkfan
03-21-2011, 12:13 PM
I just got off the phone with EDSO Records. They are requiring an appointment now to even drop off renewal applications. I expire in two weeks which in the past was plenty of time to renew. Now the first appointment for me is 22 days after my expiration date.

jeferd
03-22-2011, 7:40 AM
Just received the call from the records office that permit is all approved and just need to drop off documentation that ccw course has been completed and pick up permit....earliest appt for that is 4/26..almost 5 weeks out now...they are slammed

ccwtrainer
03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I just got off the phone with EDSO Records. They are requiring an appointment now to even drop off renewal applications. I expire in two weeks which in the past was plenty of time to renew. Now the first appointment for me is 22 days after my expiration date.

I'll see what I can do to help.

sacto929
03-28-2011, 12:35 PM
As a quick heads up to folks looking for info on the EDCo CCW process, the Sheriff's website has been updated. The current info is located here. (http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/uploadedFiles/Government/Sheriff/New-EDSO-CCW-Application.pdf)

doubleup16
04-11-2011, 3:55 PM
I picked up my permit today!!!!

I was given a credit card style card along with the old laminated card that measures 3"x4".

I was told that the CC style was given because John promised it in his campaign, but that the DOJ doesn't recognize it so I need to carry the other as well??? I'm not sure why then he would give us the CC one if it holds no value.

Here are the two cards I got today with my info redacted.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/doubleup16/CCW.jpg

I am by no means complaining; I want that to be clear. I am just informing/looking for info on this conundrum.

scratch
04-11-2011, 4:07 PM
I was given a credit card style card along with the old laminated card that measures 3"x4".

I was told that the CC style was given because John promised it in his campaign, but that the DOJ doesn't recognize it so I need to carry the other as well??? I'm not sure why then he would give us the CC one if it holds no value.

I am by no means complaining; I want that to be clear. I am just informing/looking for info on this conundrum.

The DOJ may not recognize the CC style, however maybe the EDSO will, since it's issued in their county...not a fact, a possibility.

15thaf5thbw
04-12-2011, 2:19 PM
I'm not sure why then he would give us the CC one if it holds no value.

First off, congratulations. It's a great feeling!

My view on why BOTH licenses were issued to you is ... Perhaps EDSO is working with CA DOJ to get the CC version approved, and if so, you've already got it and they don't have to issue it later. Did they say anything at all that might lead you to believe this might be the case?

jeferd
04-28-2011, 1:12 PM
So I received my CCW permit yesterday...they did not issue the CC style permit that doubleup16 shows above...guess there was no reason for it?!?! But my question is this...the laminated permit is HUGE...about 50% larger than a credit card or driver's lic. So, it doesn't fit into a wallet as is...how do you store these?? Can these be folded to fit in wallet? Will the lamination break apart if folded? What do any of you do? Thanks

sacto929
04-28-2011, 5:50 PM
So I received my CCW permit yesterday...they did not issue the CC style permit that doubleup16 shows above...guess there was no reason for it?!?! But my question is this...the laminated permit is HUGE...about 50% larger than a credit card or driver's lic. So, it doesn't fit into a wallet as is...how do you store these?? Can these be folded to fit in wallet? Will the lamination break apart if folded? What do any of you do? Thanks

It folds just fine....;)

jeferd
04-28-2011, 6:01 PM
Thanks Sacto...any word from those in the know (ccwtrainer) on the "restrictions" received with permit regarding school grounds? Also, there were restrictions on carrying "where service of alcoholic beverages is the primary function"...we have several spots that we go to for dinner...i.e Purple Place or Manderes that have bars, but also serve good food...so those are now off limits?? How do you distinguish which are ok and which are not?? Thanks for any input

sacto929
04-28-2011, 6:13 PM
Thanks Sacto...any word from those in the know (ccwtrainer) on the "restrictions" received with permit regarding school grounds? Also, there were restrictions on carrying "where service of alcoholic beverages is the primary function"...we have several spots that we go to for dinner...i.e Purple Place or Manderes that have bars, but also serve good food...so those are now off limits?? How do you distinguish which are ok and which are not?? Thanks for any input

No word yet on the restriction situation. When I had my interview with the Lt., I asked for clarification on the alcohol service situation. He indicated that the intent was to keep ccw out of bars. I am personally going to use the following guideline: if there's a sign on the door stating, "no persons under 21 allowed," then it's a bar. If not, it's a restaurant first and I won't sit at a bar inside.

ccwtrainer
04-28-2011, 11:40 PM
No word yet on the restriction situation. When I had my interview with the Lt., I asked for clarification on the alcohol service situation. He indicated that the intent was to keep ccw out of bars. I am personally going to use the following guideline: if there's a sign on the door stating, "no persons under 21 allowed," then it's a bar. If not, it's a restaurant first and I won't sit at a bar inside.

Nicely said. That's precisely how I'd approach it too. The Sheriff still hasn't given me any word on the school zone issue. I'll post his updated policy as soon as I hear anything.

jeferd
04-29-2011, 8:56 AM
Nicely said. That's precisely how I'd approach it too. The Sheriff still hasn't given me any word on the school zone issue. I'll post his updated policy as soon as I hear anything.

Thanks for the input guys....I'll keep checking back for any policy updates

seraphim713
05-11-2011, 6:00 PM
How long is he in office for? My office's move got pushed back till Oct 2012. I spend my weekends there but I know that doesn't qualify me as a county resident.

ccwtrainer
05-11-2011, 10:51 PM
How long is he in office for? My office's move got pushed back till Oct 2012. I spend my weekends there but I know that doesn't qualify me as a county resident.

Sheriff D'Agostini will at least maintain his position until January of 2015. It's a 4 year term and as long as he runs again, he is pretty much going to win for another 4 years. The incumbent almost never loses an election for the position of Sheriff.

NorCalDustin
05-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Myself and several folks have seen this process and it has gone very smoothly and the deputies are polite and pleasant. The process has changed ALOT. Including most importantly "personal protection" being the only good cause required.

Keep in mind the new Sheriff is just that...brand new. Sheriff D'agostini will need time to rettrain his staff in cases where they are not following the new and streamlined procedures. This SO office has been doing things one way...the wrong way for a long time.

Get down to the records office and ask for an interview. Fill out the standard CAL DOJ CCW application appropriately so when you get your interview you are just reviewing it. No questions have been asked during this interview regardng cause, background, need, etc...they only seem to be making sure it is filled out accurately so it doesnt get kicked back. This is very fast and polite.

Who knows, in many cases, after this, you may not be required to even get interviewed... ;)
I've read that some Sheriff's departments will accept an application in which just two words were used as your good cause statement "Personal protection"... Is that the case here or does one need to elaborate?

ccwtrainer
05-17-2011, 9:23 AM
I've read that some Sheriff's departments will accept an application in which just two words were used as your good cause statement "Personal protection"... Is that the case here or does one need to elaborate?

Although "personal protection" or "self defense" will be accepted as good cause for your CCW application with the El Dorado Sheriff's Department, I'd recommend writing a nice, short sentence that states something like this, "I am respecetfully requesting a CCW for the protection of myself and my family." It's just a bit more personable and polite.

seraphim713
05-18-2011, 8:47 AM
What actually determines which county I am a resident of? My house is in EDC but I stay in San Francisco during the week for work.

Curley Red
05-19-2011, 2:18 PM
What actually determines which county I am a resident of? My house is in EDC but I stay in San Francisco during the week for work.

It is based on your drivers license address.

Curley Red
05-19-2011, 2:21 PM
Made my appointment online the other day to turn in my application and it is not until July 8th. The suspense is going to drive my crazy. Oh well, it gives me new time to pick up a new firearm since I really do not have anything I would like to use as a concealed piece. My old 1911 is a bit heavy and bulky.

TahoeSig
05-22-2011, 5:40 PM
Well I finally went by to get my re-app at the SLT office. I was told by the tech there that the the Lt in charge wasn't going to permit more than 3 weapons on the permit, despite the fact that others have been allowed 5 from the main office in Placerville. When I call the Placerville office to check what really was the policy, they transferred me back to the Tahoe office for clarification, where the same tech proceeded to tell me the same 3 gun story and how she was tired of getting the same question every week. I guess the citizens of El Dorado county who have permits and live in the Tahoe Basin aren't permitted the same consideration the citizens outside the basin get. Very frustrating. I really had hoped the new Sheriff would straighten out this process, but it appears it's still got the arbitrariness and capriciousness many complain about in the CCW process. On the up side, volume of applications in Tahoe is much less and turn around it supposedly faster. I guess I'll be able to comment on that soon enough.

CCWInstructor: if you read this, it would be great to see what Sheriff A would have to say about this divergence in policy depending upon location.

ccwtrainer
05-23-2011, 6:45 PM
TahoeSig,

I just sent the Sheriff a message. PM me your e-mail address and I'll update you with his reply.

Curley Red
06-01-2011, 8:43 AM
Question in regards to filling out application:

Section 2 requires you to fill out any traffic citations, do I need to put down a traffic violation if I had it removed by going to a drivers safety class. I got a speeding ticket and then was able to take traffic school to remove it, but should I still put it on my application?

Also how do I show proof of ownership on my firearm, do I need to go get a letter or something from a firearm dealer?

Thanks for any information and assistance.

ccwtrainer
06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Question in regards to filling out application:

Section 2 requires you to fill out any traffic citations, do I need to put down a traffic violation if I had it removed by going to a drivers safety class. I got a speeding ticket and then was able to take traffic school to remove it, but should I still put it on my application?

Also how do I show proof of ownership on my firearm, do I need to go get a letter or something from a firearm dealer?

Thanks for any information and assistance.

You absolutely should include your traffic citation regardless of your attendance in traffic school. Traffic school doesn't actually remove the violation from your record. It merely removes the moving violation point that would have affected your insurance rate. Don't leave that citation out.

As for proof of ownership of your gun(s), I always recommend that people save and file their receipts and request that the FFL dealer print a copy of the DROS form for them at the time of purchase. It's actually written in CA PC12076(c)(4) that "If requested, a copy of the record of electronic or telephonic transfer shall be provided to the purchaser by the dealer." Here's the link to this on DOJ's website: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#12G

Although this can help you organize records in the future, this doesn't really help you right now. For your immediate situation, I gave a call to Danette at the Sheriff's Department. She advised me that you no longer have to show proof of ownership. She agreed to talk with you and answer any questions that you have. Look in your PM for her direct phone number.

Daddy4zack
06-01-2011, 8:53 PM
My first appt. is June 27th. Cant wait.. Sacto thanks for the write up..

Gray Peterson
06-06-2011, 6:27 PM
Well I finally went by to get my re-app at the SLT office. I was told by the tech there that the the Lt in charge wasn't going to permit more than 3 weapons on the permit, despite the fact that others have been allowed 5 from the main office in Placerville. When I call the Placerville office to check what really was the policy, they transferred me back to the Tahoe office for clarification, where the same tech proceeded to tell me the same 3 gun story and how she was tired of getting the same question every week. I guess the citizens of El Dorado county who have permits and live in the Tahoe Basin aren't permitted the same consideration the citizens outside the basin get. Very frustrating. I really had hoped the new Sheriff would straighten out this process, but it appears it's still got the arbitrariness and capriciousness many complain about in the CCW process. On the up side, volume of applications in Tahoe is much less and turn around it supposedly faster. I guess I'll be able to comment on that soon enough.

CCWInstructor: if you read this, it would be great to see what Sheriff A would have to say about this divergence in policy depending upon location.

I just got this email directly from the Sheriff:

Hi Gray,

Sorry so long to get back to you on this. I gave direction to fix this.
John

You're set, Tahoe Sig. Please let me know if there are additional problems.

TahoeSig
06-07-2011, 8:17 PM
Thanks Gray:

CCWInstructor also inquired privately for me and was given a somewhat nebulous answer (thanks again CCWInstructor for taking the time and trouble). Good news is that a buddy of mine did just re-up through the SLT office and apparently had no issues with listing 5 weapons. So despite the on-going confusion, it would appear that Sheriff John has really followed through and improved the process as promised. Here's to re-electing him when the time comes! An individual in a political post (I just can't demean the man by calling him a politician) who actually does what he promises...virtually unheard of in California. Maybe there is hope for this state after all. Start with one and work from there.

Gray Peterson
06-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks Gray:

CCWInstructor also inquired privately for me and was given a somewhat nebulous answer (thanks again CCWInstructor for taking the time and trouble). Good news is that a buddy of mine did just re-up through the SLT office and apparently had no issues with listing 5 weapons. So despite the on-going confusion, it would appear that Sheriff John has really followed through and improved the process as promised. Here's to re-electing him when the time comes! An individual in a political post (I just can't demean the man by calling him a politician) who actually does what he promises...virtually unheard of in California. Maybe there is hope for this state after all. Start with one and work from there.

Sheriff D'Agostini is the best thing to happen to El Dorado County in a very long time.

coq
06-12-2011, 6:54 AM
I just got this email directly from the Sheriff:

Hi Gray,

Sorry so long to get back to you on this. I gave direction to fix this.
John

You're set, Tahoe Sig. Please let me know if there are additional problems.

Thank you Gray and ccwtrainer for your efforts on these EDC matters!

Curley Red
06-16-2011, 1:41 PM
July can't get here fast enough!

Curley Red
07-05-2011, 10:04 AM
3 more days til I drop off my intial paperwork.

Curley Red
07-11-2011, 7:51 AM
I can not express enough of how nice and respectful the El Dorado County Sheriffs office is. It was a very nice experience dropping of my paperwork. They assisted me with any and all questions and were very friendly. I can only hope that everyone else has the same experience as I did.

Kid Stanislaus
07-11-2011, 5:50 PM
Well, just don't move to SF or LA, you'll get a bit of "culture shock" if you do!

Curley Red
07-11-2011, 5:59 PM
Well, just don't move to SF or LA, you'll get a bit of "culture shock" if you do!

Born and raised in Santa Ana for 27 years, only good thing about down south is the beach and Disneyland. I miss surfing the most, nice warm beaches with bikinis any time of the year.

kojak001@att.net
07-21-2011, 11:39 AM
I just got back from the interview and was approved for my CCW, I pick up the permit on the 8th next month!
:party:
Thank you to everyone that posted information on the process.

Curley Red
07-21-2011, 12:10 PM
I just got back from the interview and was approved for my CCW, I pick up the permit on the 8th next month!
:party:
Thank you to everyone that posted information on the process.

I assume that the interview was in person?

And if so did they call to set up an appointment to go back in?

kojak001@att.net
07-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Yes, in person interview at the sheriff support unit office.

Curley Red
07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes, in person interview at the sheriff support unit office.

Thanks for the info, I am just waiting for that call myself.

Did you apply for the Arizona permit which is good in Nevada?

kojak001@att.net
07-21-2011, 12:46 PM
I think my call back was a little over two weeks to setup the in person interview so you should receive your call soon.

I have not applied for any out of state permits.

Good luck with your permit!

Curley Red
08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Just got the call for my interview in 2 days. I am as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve.

DuckHunter
08-02-2011, 8:33 PM
Cool Deal Curley,

That means I'm only a couple a week or two away from my call! Good Luck!

Curley Red
08-04-2011, 2:07 PM
Had my interview and I am good to go, pick up my CCW on the 24th.

Just wondering when my Arizona CCW will show up, should be any day now.

Good luck to everyone else, it has been a great experience with the El Dorado Sheriffs office. A good group of people that are very friendly and willing to help you out.

NorCalDustin
08-06-2011, 3:09 PM
I'm super excited... My appointment is coming up. :)

Curley Red
08-17-2011, 7:21 AM
One week from today I get to pick up my CCW, the wait is killing me but I can handle it. I know the wait sucks but it is better than not getting one at all. I have already started walking around inside my house with my crossbreed supertuck and it feels good. Just can't wait to make a trip outside so it can feel the fresh air.

adrenaline
08-17-2011, 7:26 AM
One week from today I get to pick up my CCW, the wait is killing me but I can handle it. I know the wait sucks but it is better than not getting one at all. I have already started walking around inside my house with my crossbreed supertuck and it feels good. Just can't wait to make a trip outside so it can feel the fresh air.LOL...I have my CCW and painfully waiting for my Crossbreed Supertuck. I tried a cheap leather IWB this weekend, but you get what you pay for....not comfortable. Can't wait for my Crossbreed. :(;)

Gray Peterson
08-17-2011, 7:33 AM
Has anyone here gotten any CCW's from the sheriff's office, with ANY restrictions whatsoever on the license itself?

Curley Red
08-24-2011, 9:48 AM
Now I have to go and buy a bigger wallet for my new card!!!!!!! Oh well it is worth it. What a great experience working with El Dorado County Sheriff's throughout the whole licensing. Couldn't ask for a better experience.

FYI, no restrictions on the card.

NorCalDustin
08-24-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm still waiting on my call for my second interview.

Curley Red
08-24-2011, 1:06 PM
Funny thing, they give you 2 cards. 1 that is what you need to carry whenever you are carrying a gun which does not fit into an ordinary wallet, the other is a plastic card that is basically useless. I forgot the term she used when she handed it to me but it was basically a keepsake type of thing that was good just to show others but worthless if asked for your CCW from an officer. I wonder why they waste time with the hard plastic card if it is of no use.

NorCalDustin
08-25-2011, 9:45 PM
So When I did the initial interview no one asked for my GC statement... During the second interview will the detective simply ask me? Is there anything I need to do before then?

sacto929
08-26-2011, 9:24 AM
Funny thing, they give you 2 cards. 1 that is what you need to carry whenever you are carrying a gun which does not fit into an ordinary wallet, the other is a plastic card that is basically useless. I forgot the term she used when she handed it to me but it was basically a keepsake type of thing that was good just to show others but worthless if asked for your CCW from an officer. I wonder why they waste time with the hard plastic card if it is of no use.

I never got the plastic card. I've seen a buddy's HR 218 card from a Bay Area county and I don't see why the information from the paper permits we get couldn't fit on the front and back of a plastic credit card-sized permit. It's probably due to the expense of the printing equipment, etc.

On another note, I updated my "list" on the permit earlier this week and when I asked about the limit on listed items was told by the clerk, "There's no limit." I now have more than five on my list, and they just continued it on the back.... Also, there was no fee for the change, just the two-month wait for the appointment from the time I scheduled on line. I love EDCo. :D

Curley Red
08-26-2011, 1:24 PM
So When I did the initial interview no one asked for my GC statement... During the second interview will the detective simply ask me? Is there anything I need to do before then?

In the second interview the officer will go over the application that you filled out and ask you all the questions. It is basically a get to know you kind of interview, relax and enjoy it. He was a real nice person.

I told them that I wanted my CCW for peronal protection, which is what I put on the applciation and that is all you need.

I'd say good luck but you don't need it.

thebronze
08-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Now I have to go and buy a bigger wallet for my new card!!!!!!! Oh well it is worth it. What a great experience working with El Dorado County Sheriff's throughout the whole licensing. Couldn't ask for a better experience.

FYI, no restrictions on the card.

Now make sure that everywhere you go, you ask them if it's okay to carry a concealed pistol there.

http://www.angryduck.com/pictures/1001/attention-whore.jpg

Went to an AMC theater last night (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=470843)

TahoeSig
10-11-2011, 1:49 PM
Has anyone here gotten any CCW's from the sheriff's office, with ANY restrictions whatsoever on the license itself?

Recently re-up'd; no restrictions on license itself, but South Lake EDSO still makes you sign a separate piece of paper that lists all the usual state law restricted sites, but also lists "schools". This makes it tough on those of us who still have school age kids and need to come and go to school and work activities. I know it's not on the permit itself, meaning it is likely still legal to carry, but would likely get your permit revoked if ever caught.

15thaf5thbw
11-01-2011, 2:50 PM

Haven't been to this thread in quite some time, but I am interested in this topic as I had made some inquiries earlier via ccwtrainer as to whether or not Sheriff D'Agostini was going to remove the "no carry on school grounds" restriction and enable the PC "can carry on school grounds" to take effect for us.

My CCW License has NO restrictions on it. All of the restrictions that they made me aware of were on a separate peice of 8.5"x11" non-descript, non-official, no header of any kind whatsoever paper that I was required to sign.

From what I gather from the PC, technically, since the "restrictions" are not "on the license" itself then, technically, they are not valid. But who is going to TEST that? Not me.

I sure would like to get that "no schools" restriction dropped as I have 2 daughters in private schools and would very much like to eliminate the headache of having to "secure" before each time I need to pick them up, etc. What a hassel. And in a place where a good-guy with a weapon can make the most difference when needed too. Sometimes things just do not make any sense.

So Gray, where are you going with this, if anywhere?

NorCalDustin
11-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Any updates on this one? A friend of mine picked up his license last week and they gave him a page of restrictions with that on it still...

sacto929
11-11-2011, 9:22 AM
Too big a deal is being made of the off-license "restrictions page". The law is clear--any legal restrictions to time, place and manner regarding the validity of the license must be on the license itself. The "restrictions page" is CYA for the SO and would give them the ability to revoke the permit if a holder makes an *** of themselves in one of the areas noted on the "page".

Use some common sense and your own sense of comfort regarding where you carry with your permit. And remember, the first part of concealed carry is concealed.:oji: 99.9% of the people around you won't know anything unless you go around announcing it. :facepalm: For me personally, this also means not telling my children, as kids love to brag about stuff and the surest way for a school official to learn of your CCW status is from the mouths of babes....

15thaf5thbw
11-15-2011, 2:31 PM
Never mind ... I figured it out.

What's paperwork do I need to swap a weapon on my CCW License? I want to remove one and replace it with another.

I have an appt scheduled for tomorrow morning and can't seem to find out what I need to fill out to do this.

Please help.

sfhondapilot
11-20-2011, 8:06 AM
Great thread.

In my situation, my primary residence is San Francisco and I work in San Francisco. We do, however, have a second home in the unincorporated area of South Lake Tahoe. This is actually where I would want to carry my weapon as the house abuts wilderness and we have encountered wildlife (bears included) while walking the dogs in the early morning hours.

Any thoughts on how the EDCSO would respond to this type of CCW application?

TIA

otteray
11-20-2011, 6:28 PM
I wouldn't mention Lake Tahoe black bears as a threat. The Lake Tahoe Bear League might run you out of town!https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/196887_206484652712155_206327829394504_757171_4662 574_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/207890_206483556045598_206327829394504_757148_6919 115_n.jpg

I believe the sheriff there is pretty much "shall issue" just for basic self defense as a reason.

sfhondapilot
11-20-2011, 6:47 PM
I wouldn't mention Lake Tahoe black bears as a threat. The Lake Tahoe Bear League might run you out of town!https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/196887_206484652712155_206327829394504_757171_4662 574_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/207890_206483556045598_206327829394504_757148_6919 115_n.jpg

I believe the sheriff there is pretty much "shall issue" just for basic self defense as a reason.

LOL

I am all for live and let live and I would just as soon slink off than seek a confrontation with a black bear. I should post the pictures of our bear box, it is pretty battle scarred.

User21c
11-22-2011, 6:02 AM
Good morning,
Does anyone know what the current time window is in ED County between first interview (application filing/LiveScan), and the 2nd interview with the detective?

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Socom16Fan
11-22-2011, 6:44 AM
Good morning,
Does anyone know what the current time window is in ED County between first interview (application filing/LiveScan), and the 2nd interview with the detective?

You can typically expect about 30 days. then another 2-3 weeks later to pick up your permit.

Happy Thanksgiving and good luck!

NorCalDustin
11-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Good morning,

You should get the call to schedule about 2 weeks after the initial interview, from there I believe some people have been having to schedule appointments out 2-4 weeks because of the backlog of applications.

User21c
11-23-2011, 4:37 AM
Thanks folks, I appreciate the replies.
So, I posted my question because it had been about 5 weeks since filing my application, and I hadn't heard anything regarding my interview appt... (I was told up to 8 weeks)

Ironically, the day that I posted this, I received a call to schedule my interview. (Next week)

Looks like they're running about 6 weeks from first to second appontments.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Cali-Glock
11-23-2011, 7:43 PM
In my situation, my primary residence is in the unincorporated area of South Lake Tahoe. Due to the long commute to my workplace in San Francisco, we have a second home in San Francisco.

Fixed it for you.

Of course your drivers license, voter registration, and what not needs to match up with this.

sfhondapilot
11-24-2011, 5:59 AM
Fixed it for you.

Of course your drivers license, voter registration, and what not needs to match up with this.

;)

Good suggestion!

However, upon further reflection, I would suspect that this would be a common request in Eldorado County. The SLT area has and is an attractive locale for a second residence. I would have to think that some of the owners are out-of-state owners who may have LTC in their home state. With the absence of reciprocity, I would think that these individuals would consider applying for a LTC that would be valid in CA. Am I way off base here?

otteray
12-01-2011, 4:55 AM
Are they still going to be posted?

ccwtrainer
12-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Any updates on this one? A friend of mine picked up his license last week and they gave him a page of restrictions with that on it still...

I'm surprised to see the school zone restriction still on the Restrictions & Conditions Agreement form. The latest copy of the El Dorado County Sheriff's 218 Policy or "Concealed Weapon License Policy Directive" does not have the school zone restriction listed anywhere in it. I just re-read every page of the document just to be sure. Here's the entire restrictions section of the policy:

218.5.1 LICENSE RESTRICTIONS
(a) The Sheriff may place special restrictions limiting time, place and circumstances
under which any license shall be valid. In general, these restrictions will prohibit the
licensee from any of the following:
1. Consuming any alcoholic beverage while armed.
2. Falsely representing him or herself as a peace officer.
3. Unjustified or unreasonable displaying of a weapon.
4. Committing any crime.
5. Being under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or drug while armed or
under the combined influence of any alcoholic beverage or drug.
6. Interfering with any law enforcement officer’s duties.
7. Refusing to display his/her license or weapon for inspection upon demand of
any peace officer.(b) The Sheriff reserves the right to inspect any license or licensed weapon at any time.
(c) Any ammunition carried in a weapon licensed to be carried concealed, may be
inspected and approved by the Sheriff’s Office Amorer/Rangemaster or Sheriff’s
Office approved armorer.
(d) The alteration of any previously approved weapon without approval of the Sheriff or
his designee including, but not limited to adjusting trigger pull, adding laser sights or
modifications shall void any license and serve as grounds for revocation.

I put a call in to Sheriff D'Agostini. I'll post an update when he responds.

User21c
12-10-2011, 7:30 PM
Any updates on this? I pickup my permit in about 2 weeks, and am curious.

Also, I'll call the records dept. during the week, but does anyone know if I can add a gun to a permit at the time I pick up the permit?

NorCalDustin
12-10-2011, 9:31 PM
Are they still going to be posted?
I dont know about everyone else but I never wrote down my good cause. During my 2nd Interview I was asked why I was requesting an LTC, and I believe I just said something like for personal protection.

User21c
12-11-2011, 9:55 AM
I dont know about everyone else but I never wrote down my good cause. During my 2nd Interview I was asked why I was requesting an LTC, and I believe I just said something like for personal protection.
Same here.

User21c
01-02-2012, 5:37 PM
I'm surprised to see the school zone restriction still on the Restrictions & Conditions Agreement form. The latest copy of the El Dorado County Sheriff's 218 Policy or "Concealed Weapon License Policy Directive" does not have the school zone restriction listed anywhere in it. I just re-read every page of the document just to be sure. Here's the entire restrictions section of the policy:

(a) The Sheriff may place special restrictions limiting time, place and circumstances
under which any license shall be valid. In general, these restrictions will prohibit the
4. Committing any crime.
any peace officer.(b) The Sheriff reserves the right to inspect any license or licensed weapon at any time.
Office approved armorer.
(d) The alteration of any previously approved weapon without approval of the Sheriff or
his designee including, but not limited to adjusting trigger pull, adding laser sights or

Picked up my permit last week, and the school restriction is still on the separate piece of paper you must sign.
The school restriction would especially bother me if I had school age children to pick up/drop off every day.

Also, they're out of the credit card style permits that fit in the wallet.
But, you can fold and laminate the paper doc they give you. When I showed it to my wife, she thought it was a temporary, or I had 'made it myself'.

I don't care.... I'm legal... :)

NorCalDustin
01-02-2012, 5:53 PM
It is my understanding that you CANNOT laminate the paper document. Everyone at the Sheriff's office, on Calguns, and every CCW trainer has always made it very clear to me that you CANNOT laminate your license to carry.

With Respect to the School Restriction still being on that paper you sign, that's what I keep hearing... I've also spoken to a couple of people who've asked the Sheriff's office about that restriction and they seem to think that there IS in fact still a school restriction. Maybe people are misinformed? I don't know... Until I see something official directly from them such as a paper they hand me (or can mail to me)...

User21c
01-02-2012, 5:59 PM
Both the Records Department in EDSO, and an attorney fiend of mine stated that you ARE in fact able to laminate (and fold) THE ORIGINAL document. The exception is if you have additional weapons on the back of the permit, that would be obscured by folding.

You must always present the original, as copies or the credit-card style card are NOT acceptable to LE.

The lamination clause is actually specified in the statute regarding CCW permit issue..... You can find it if you Google.

User21c
01-02-2012, 6:05 PM
Googled for ya...

California Penal Code Section 12051(a)
(1) The standard application form for licenses described
serial number, and the caliber.
The license issued to the licensee
may be laminated.
(2) Applications for amendments to licenses shall be filed in
writing and signed by the applicant, and shall state what type of
amendment is sought pursuant to subdivision (f) of Section 12050 and
the reason for desiring the amendment.
(3) (A) Applications for amendments to licenses, applications for
licenses, amendments to licenses, and licenses shall be uniform
throughout the state, upon forms to be prescribed by the Attorney
General. The Attorney General shall convene a committee composed of
one representative of the California State Sheriffs' Association, one
representative of the California Police Chiefs' Association, and one
representative of the Department of Justice to review, and as deemed
appropriate, revise the standard application form for licenses. The
committee shall meet for this purpose if two of the committee's
members deem that necessary. The application shall include a section
summarizing the statutory provisions of state law that result in the
automatic denial of a license.
(B) The forms shall contain a provision whereby the applicant
attests to the truth of statements contained in the application.
(C) An applicant shall not be required to complete any additional
application or form for a license, or to provide any information
other than that necessary to complete the standard application form
described in subparagraph (A), except to clarify or interpret
information provided by the applicant on the standard application
form.
(D) The standard application form described in subparagraph (A) is
deemed to be a local form expressly exempt from the requirements of
the Administrative Procedures Act, Chapter 3.5 (commencing with
Section 11340) of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government
Code.
(b) Any person who files an application required by subdivision
(a) knowing that statements contained therein are false is guilty of
a misdemeanor.
(c) Any person who knowingly makes a false statement on the
application regarding any of the following shall be guilty of a
felony:
(1) The denial or revocation of a license, or the denial of an
amendment to a license, issued pursuant to Section 12050.
(2) A criminal conviction.
(3) A finding of not guilty by reason of insanity.
(4) The use of a controlled substance.
(5) A dishonorable discharge from military service.
(6) A commitment to a mental institution.
(7) A renunciation of United States citizenship.

sacto929
01-02-2012, 8:30 PM
...The exception is if you have additional weapons on the back of the permit, that would be obscured by folding....

There is no restriction against folding the permit if you have additional weapons listed on the back. If you need to present it, you just unfold it.... The Records Tech won't laminate it for you, if you have additional weapons on the back because their laminator fits the permit folded in half. Not really a problem, but you just need to make extra sure not to get your wallet wet. :oji:

BTW, congrats on your permit!

User21c
01-02-2012, 8:52 PM
Exactly..... I folded my permit in half, then had it laminated.... That way, it fits in the wallet. (essentially, it becomes a 2 sided, half size permit)

If I had additional weapons listed, they'd be obscured forever!

Thanks for the congrats on the license... It seemed like a long time waiting... :)

Cali-Glock
01-10-2012, 2:42 PM
It is my understanding that you CANNOT laminate the paper document. Everyone at the Sheriff's office, on Calguns, and every CCW trainer has always made it very clear to me that you CANNOT laminate your license to carry.

With Respect to the School Restriction still being on that paper you sign, that's what I keep hearing... I've also spoken to a couple of people who've asked the Sheriff's office about that restriction and they seem to think that there IS in fact still a school restriction. Maybe people are misinformed? I don't know... Until I see something official directly from them such as a paper they hand me (or can mail to me)...

I was specifically advised to laminate mine by the EDC Sherrif department.

NorCalDustin
01-10-2012, 11:17 PM
I was specifically advised to laminate mine by the EDC Sherrif department.

Checked the PC and while it does say it can be laminated, I will not considering the number of times I've been told not to. Legal or not, it doesn't mean you wont be pushed into a pile of manure over someones misunderstanding of the PC.

User21c
01-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Wes, Any update on this? It's been quite a while. Has the Good Sherriff responded?

4. Committing any crime.
Office approved armorer.

SGTKane
02-09-2012, 9:29 AM
No update on the School Zone question (at least not from me), but I just called to schedule my appointment. The soonest they could get me in was March 5th.

So almost a month. The individual I spoke with in the records office, was very friendly and stressed that the only good cause you need is personal protection. She was almost breathless about it. The three characters letters are no longer required.

scratch
02-09-2012, 1:07 PM
The individual I spoke with in the records office, was very friendly and stressed that the only good cause you need is personal protection. She was almost breathless about it.

My appt was last Friday. The clerk went over the application to make sure everything was in order. When she got to the reason for the CCW, before I could answer she said "Personal Protection"..:D

Gtown
02-14-2012, 4:42 PM
Just saw this in the Georgetown Gazzette -

A message from Sheriff D’Agostini...

Concealed weapons
One of the first policies I directed be modified was the concealed weapon policy. I am a strong believer in the Constitution and the 2nd amendment guaranteeing our right to keep and bear arms. The primary changes were removing the requirement for reference letters and accepting personal protection as justification of good cause for the permit. Our staff has been working hard to keep up with the applications, as we issued 844 concealed weapon permits in 2011, a 275 percent increase over the prior year.

Nice:)

NorCalDustin
02-15-2012, 9:47 AM
Very Nice!

gregm784
02-21-2012, 2:46 PM
My appointment is in early March to drop off my application. I'm looking forward to getting the process started

gregm784
03-03-2012, 3:27 AM
Time line starts now.
I met with Peggy yesterday, went over app. Took picture & finger prints. She said the detectives are about 6 weeks out right now. They will call when the detectives are finished, and i'll come down for part 2.

Dropped off app 3/2/12

DuckHunter
03-13-2012, 6:59 AM
I have an appointment to add a third gun to my El Dorado LTC; couldn't find out to much on the Sherrif's website. What do I need to bring with me? I was planning to bring my DROS, check book as well as my current LTC & ID.

Anything else I need?

User21c
03-13-2012, 7:09 PM
I could be wrong, but I think all you need is the make, type (semi or revolver) and serial# of the gun.... and that's it.
No fee that I know of...

NorCalDustin
03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
I could be wrong, but I think all you need is the make, type (semi or revolver) and serial# of the gun.... and that's it.
No fee that I know of...

Thats what I've heard...

wildhawker
03-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Thats what I've heard...

They should be requiring this form (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/54-doj-standard-ltc-amendment-form.html) for license amendments.

-Brandon

ccwtrainer
03-22-2012, 9:47 AM

You absolutely can laminate a CA CCW. It was written as the last sentence of CA PC 12051(a)(1) before the law numbers changed and is now written in the last sentence of CA PC 26175(i). Here's the quote:
"CA PC 26175(i) - Any license issued upon the application shall set forth the licensee's name, occupation, residence and business address, the licensee's age, height, weight, color of eyes and hair, and the reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon, and shall, in addition, contain a description of the weapon or weapons authorized to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the serial number, and the caliber. The license issued to the licensee may be laminated."

I typically share this code section in every CCW class. I apologize, Dustin, if I failed to do so in your course.

ccwtrainer
03-22-2012, 9:53 AM
No fee that I know of...

Also written in CA PC 26175(i) (see the above post for the exact verbiage) are the rules for what gun info must be documented on any license issued. It says that the description of the weapon(s) must include the name of the manufacturer, the serial number, and the caliber.

The standardized CA DOJ CCW application form that Brandon has listed a link to above requires everything that CA PC 26175(i) requires and also has a field for the model number of each gun. This is really what every Police and Sheriff's Department that I'm approved by requires.

ccwtrainer
03-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Wes, Any update on this? It's been quite a while. Has the Good Sherriff responded?

You're correct that it has been quite a while. There is an update but, I have to wait to post anything about it until it actually happens. I gave my word. I know you've been waiting patiently. Please continue. Sheriff D'Agostini shares the same views as you and I on this issue. It's just a bit more complex from his point of view than it is from ours.

gregm784
03-30-2012, 2:00 PM
Update:
Dropped off app with Peggy on 3/2/12
Got call today from Debbie, appointment scheduled 4/3/12 for 2nd interview.

DuckHunter
04-01-2012, 6:56 AM
Just a quick update. I went in for my appointment with the filled out form Brandon linked. 5 minutes latter I walked out with an updated LTC. No charge.

I have an appointment to add a third gun to my El Dorado LTC; couldn't find out to much on the Sherrif's website. What do I need to bring with me? I was planning to bring my DROS, check book as well as my current LTC & ID.

Anything else I need?

gregm784
04-02-2012, 11:48 AM
less than 24 hrs to my 2nd interview. I'm a little nervous about talking to the detectives. :-/

DuckHunter
04-02-2012, 3:14 PM
No need to be nervious - show up on time, dress nicely and be polite, and you should be fine.

gregm784
04-02-2012, 3:19 PM
Thx. I'll be happy when it's over tomorrow. haha

scratch
04-02-2012, 3:40 PM
If it's Wes, he is a great guy, not intimidating.

User21c
04-02-2012, 5:36 PM
Just think of it as a Panel style Job Interview, in front of a Jury, while being Video Taped, and a BP cuff on your sleeve.... Have your pistol's serial numbers memorized, and be prepared to explain everything in your application under intense scrutiny.... Other than that, No worries. Enjoy.

gregm784
04-02-2012, 7:15 PM
HAHA

Thanks. I'm getting past the nervous. Now the excitement that this is almost a reality is coming to the top.

I've been carrying around my property (breaking in my Crossbreed) for the last two weekends. It feels a little funny to walk around with out my CW9 now.

NorCalDustin
04-03-2012, 10:30 AM
HAHA

Thanks. I'm getting past the nervous. Now the excitement that this is almost a reality is coming to the top.

I've been carrying around my property (breaking in my Crossbreed) for the last two weekends. It feels a little funny to walk around with out my CW9 now.
You'll get to the point where your firearm just becomes something you just carry. Like your keys or phone....

gregm784
04-03-2012, 9:33 PM
Interview was good. Simple questions; straight forward answers. I'm signed up for Wes' course. Looking forward to that

User21c
04-08-2012, 6:25 AM
Question -
Has anyone here added/removed a weapon recently from their CCW?
If so, did they update your "souvenir" plastic license card also?

I was told that because those cards aren't legal anyway, that they don't update the weapon list on the back of them.

Are they still issuing the plastic cards? Or are they "paper only" now? :confused:

User21c
04-08-2012, 6:33 AM
cmartin72
Here is the message that has just been posted:
When filling out the application, is it necessary to list any juvenile crimes?

This is a tricky one, but honesty prevails... and the application states
'list all crimes", not just the ones committed since age 18/21.

Unless you are 100% absolutely sure that your juvenile crime record has been "sealed", (not expunged, excused or dismissed), you should list it. The detective will know about it based on your background check in most cases. Being dishonest is far worse than a minor crime comitted decades ago in your youth.

You should list it, and then you will have a chance to explain it... I don't know your age, but if it was a LONG time ago, they will take that into consideration.

Certain crimes will blacklist you forever, but most will not. Good luck.

gregm784
04-08-2012, 9:40 AM
User21, I'll pick mine up in a couple weeks and let you know, if no one beats me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregm784
04-08-2012, 9:41 AM
Cmartin; I too would list it. The detective was very thorough. I had no skeletons to hide but their background reveals ALL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuckHunter
04-08-2012, 9:58 AM
I added a gun to my LTC about 2 weeks ago. They updated the paper only LTC.

Question -
Has anyone here added/removed a weapon recently from their CCW?
If so, did they update your "souvenir" plastic license card also?

I was told that because those cards aren't legal anyway, that they don't update the weapon list on the back of them.

Are they still issuing the plastic cards? Or are they "paper only" now? :confused:

cmartin72
04-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I just read that at 38 the records are destroyed, I just turned 40. I guess I will just list them and see what happens. Either A) They will find I'm not a good candidate due to my juvenile short comings, or B) If I don't list them and they find it, I will surely be denied. Either way will have same outcome. Or....It won't matter and I get it. My initial appt. is for April 23rd, I'll post in here how it all turns out.

User21c
04-08-2012, 6:12 PM
The detailed records are sometimes destroyed at age 38, depending on the severity of the crime.... However, the offense is still part of your RAP sheet. They just can't go back to the detailed records. Those are often destroyed for space purposes, as many jurisdiactions weren't computerized at that time.

The listing of the actual offense though (and the current/latest disposition).... that sticks around indefinitely in your criminal history. If it was actually classified as "sealed" though, it won't be visible at the level of search that the DOJ uses for LiveScans and CCW. (But it's still there...)

cmartin72
04-08-2012, 9:11 PM
The detailed records are sometimes destroyed at age 38, depending on the severity of the crime.... However, the offense is still part of your RAP sheet. They just can't go back to the detailed records. Those are often destroyed for space purposes, as many jurisdiactions weren't computerized at that time.

The listing of the actual offense though (and the current/latest disposition).... that sticks around indefinitely in your criminal history. If it was actually classified as "sealed" though, it won't be visible at the level of search that the DOJ uses for LiveScans and CCW. (But it's still there...)

Good to know! So what happens if there were 4 offenses as a juvenile, but I only remember 2 and list only those 2? I barely even remember those.

User21c
04-08-2012, 9:14 PM
The investigator will remind you about the 2 you forgot.... :)
Be honest. They likely won't care.

User21c
04-08-2012, 9:16 PM
Whoa.....! I just got that!
FOUR offenses as a juvenile? Unless they were all REALLY minor, that's a RED FLAG.... It shows a significant pattern of lawful disregard.

Can you explain that? They're pretty tolerant, but this could be an issue for you. Good luck.

User21c
04-08-2012, 9:45 PM
Good to know! So what happens if there were 4 offenses as a juvenile, but I only remember 2 and list only those 2? I barely even remember those.

If you only remember 2, how do you know there were 4? :confused:
Something doesn't smell right... and I'm not even a Detective.

Are you being honest about this? Really? :facepalm:

cmartin72
04-09-2012, 5:49 AM
Whoa.....! I just got that!
FOUR offenses as a juvenile? Unless they were all REALLY minor, that's a RED FLAG.... It shows a significant pattern of lawful disregard.

Can you explain that? They're pretty tolerant, but this could be an issue for you. Good luck.

If you only remember 2, how do you know there were 4? :confused:
Something doesn't smell right... and I'm not even a Detective.

Are you being honest about this? Really? :facepalm:

I remember being in trouble as an adolescent, that is all I am trying to say. I dont recall everything. What I was saying is, I have no problem listing things but what if I dont remember everything....would that make me look like a liar, or just a forgetful applicant since it was over 20+ years ago. I have nothing to hide and I am not ashamed to admit I got into some trouble as a juvenile/teen. I think most of us probably did! If it keeps me from getting a LTC, well then thats how it goes....I am still a lawful gun owner.

User21c
04-09-2012, 5:55 AM
If you've had zero incidents since then, in 20+ years, it may not matter to the detective. But I would explain it to him, just as you did here. They're pretty fair... Just looking for good morale character... Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

gregm784
04-09-2012, 8:44 PM
I agree. They are going for morale character.

gregm784
04-16-2012, 9:21 AM
Training completed. (WES ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Appt is May 9th to pick up my CCW. Three weeks.........i can do this........(i suck at patience, but i'm getting better; i think)

Gully_Foyle
04-16-2012, 9:53 AM
I remember being in trouble as an adolescent, that is all I am trying to say. I dont recall everything. What I was saying is, I have no problem listing things but what if I dont remember everything....would that make me look like a liar, or just a forgetful applicant since it was over 20+ years ago. I have nothing to hide and I am not ashamed to admit I got into some trouble as a juvenile/teen. I think most of us probably did! If it keeps me from getting a LTC, well then thats how it goes....I am still a lawful gun owner.

You can go to the courthouse where you had your juvenile cases heard and ask to see your records. See WIC 827. You should make sure you don't have any serious charges or you may be prohibited. The CCW application mentions WIC 707(b) offenses and weapons offenses, but also states they only prohibit you until age 30. I think you wrote you were over 40. So you may be ok there.

Honesty is the best policy here, as others have stated. Also, did you ever petition the court under WIC 781 to have your records sealed?

A big issue is that the CCW application you submit must not contain any knowingly false statements. See PC 12051.

I would make sure you know exactly what may be out there before you submit and application. I'm a bit paranoid (ok a lot paranoid) so I ran my DMV record prior to submitting my CCW application just to make sure. I listed a "failure to come to a complete stop" citation even though it was dismissed. Best to play it safe.

BTW, my CCW experience was approximately 5 months between submitting application and receiving my permit. I deliberately waited until November to submit it to avoid the crush of initial applications.

Disclaimer: I *am* an attorney.

cmartin72
04-16-2012, 9:57 AM
My first appt is the 23rd, I noticed it says payment is due at first sign up. I'm unclear on what that total is. Besides cash (how much?) And application, what all do they ask for?