gregm784
04-16-2012, 9:58 AM
$125 is the total

gregm784
04-16-2012, 9:58 AM
proof of residency also, and a CDL i believe

cmartin72
04-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Ok. Thanks. That's what I thought....man this is going to be expensive if I don't get it. Oh well....only one way to find out.

Gully_Foyle
04-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Go to this page and download the application. Read the first page for all the requirements for your initial appointment.

http://www.edcgov.us/Government/Sheriff/Forms.aspx

gregm784
04-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Eldo is pretty much a shall issue. If you have a clean back ground, i can't see you getting kicked back. I had the same concerns. I pick up my ccw in three weeks.

have you had your training? I waited until i was approved (2nd interview). I can't recommend LFIguns.com more. Wes is just simply the best. Search on here for lfiguns (screen name CCWtrainer).

SGTKane
04-19-2012, 11:40 AM
On March 5th, I dropped off my registration paid my $125 fee and was told it would be three to six weeks. That wasn't an issue as I was out of the state for four weeks teaching re-class for the Army. But if my math is right I'm coming up on week seven.

Add to that that gregm784 dropped his application off on the 2nd of March, has already been interviewed, completed the course through LFI and has a scheduled picked up date in early May and my concern grows (not about gregm784 getting his CCW, I mean he seems like a fine upstanding individual and all that) but that I haven't heard anything is concerning.

And before anyone says it, I did call and they took my information and said they'd get back to me. That was a whole two hours ago, and still nothing...

(and if you take that last line seriously you need to go do pushups)

SGTKane
04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Bah, as soon as I posted that they called and made an appointment for next Tuesday.

gregm784
04-19-2012, 1:47 PM
HeHe, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Glad you are online now. Good luck. It'll all go smooth i'm sure

gregm784
04-23-2012, 3:00 PM
Man, two weeks and a day left to wait.

I SUCK at patience. I supposed this is helping me learn to accept it, but i can't see it.

Anyone know if i can ADD a gun when i go to pick it up? I seem to have purchased another handgun.......i have no idea how this happens. I go to buy ammo, come away with a DROS form and a 10 day wait.......

DuckHunter
04-23-2012, 4:42 PM
Gregm -

It's worth a shot, all that they can say is no. I just added a gun, and it was simple and free (no weapon ispection required) - but I did have to make an appointment.

Try taking a completed copy of the form that Brandon posted for me in Post #220 of this tread.

Two weeks will pass before you know it - good luck with the addition.

DuckHunter

User21c
04-23-2012, 6:27 PM
I added one when I went to pick up the license... no problem or fee.

gregm784
04-23-2012, 7:16 PM
Do I have to qualify with it to add the gun?

DuckHunter
04-24-2012, 3:44 PM
I didn't have to qualify with my new gun when I add it to my LTC. YMMV.

Beldin
04-24-2012, 6:27 PM
:cool2: ^

User21c
04-24-2012, 6:30 PM
You don't have to qualify with a particular gun in ED County....

gregm784
04-24-2012, 6:46 PM
Awesome. That is good news. 14 days to go. Almost time to start counting hrs.

Picked up my m&p today. I like it. Looking forward to shooting it very soon.

SGTKane
04-24-2012, 9:42 PM
Did the interview today. He told me I was clean enough I should have taken the class first and come in with the certificate, as it would have cut down on my wait time because I could have scheduled my pickup then and there (still would have had to wait weeks, but that would have been weeks from today as opposed to weeks frmo when I complete the course)

gregm784
04-24-2012, 9:58 PM
That's great. Don't do what I did and wait for the class to sch your next visit. Schedule it now. Take the course by the time you are due to be there. They re 3-4 weeks out right now.

gregm784
04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Another recommendation for ccwtrainer. Lfiguns.com. Wes is a great instructor.

SGTKane
04-25-2012, 1:34 PM
gregm784 I'm asking because you went through it...

What is the shooting/qualification requirement for El Dorado? I asked the guy giving me the interview and told me all I needed was a certificate.

Doing a web search gives me different numbers from different counties.

gregm784
04-25-2012, 1:43 PM
EDC requires an 8 hr course and a certificate. I took the 16hr course because i wanted more knowledge. The shooting requirement is very easy to satisfy.

15yrd, 7yrd, 3yrd 12 shots from each station. 45 seconds from 15, 30 seconds from 7, 15 seconds from 3. Each station involves a reload. 6 rounds in two different magazines, or a speed loader for wheel guns.

After learning what i didn't know, i will be continuing my education.

target is this guy. You need all rounds inside large, outter ring.

http://meansracing.com/firearms/IMG_1963.JPG

SGTKane
04-26-2012, 7:55 AM
So the head shot was no good? :)

gregm784
04-26-2012, 7:59 AM
That was a previous excersize. :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregm784
04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
My appointment was May 9th. Last night, i surfed the online scheduler and found an appointment from 9:20 this morning. i am now a CCW holder! I turned in my gun add form and that new gun is on my CCW also, that fast. it's on the backside (4th gun).

gregm784
04-26-2012, 10:36 AM
I freed up my may 9th appointment so, if anyone checks you'll be able to bump up.

gregm784
04-26-2012, 2:13 PM
Update:
3/2 - Dropped off app with Peggy
4/2 - Recieved call from Debbie, appointment scheduled 4/3/12 for 2nd interview.
4/3 - 2nd Interview, gun inspection
4/5 -Made pickup appointment online (make immediately, do not have to wait for ccw course)
4/15 - took CCWTrainer's course
4/26 - picked up permit

4/26 - 3/2 = 55 days or so.

SGTKane
04-30-2012, 8:59 PM
My timeline:
9FEB12 - Downloaded and filled out the application (CA DOJ) from the Sheriff's Web page. Called and scheduled my first appointment for 5MAR12.
5MAR12 - Went to the first appointment, finger printed, scanned, paid my fees.
19APR12 - Contacted by Sheriff's staff to schedule second interview for 23APR12
23APR12 - Completed second interview and weapon inspection
29APR12 - Completed training (thanks Wes and Joe at LFI for fitting me in)
3MAY12 - Drop off completed certification and pick up CCW

Originally my pickup date was 2June, but by checking the scheduling website every day I was able to move it. So knocking on wood, on the 3rd I'll have my CCW.

According to that schedule it was 84 days between the day I filled out the application and the day I'll be issued my CCW. It will have been 59 days from the first interview (and application drop off) until the pickup.

Costs:
$125 processing fee
$265 Training fee (base fee + fee for three weapons)
$7 Range fee
$100 for ammo for three weapons (.45, .40, 9mm)
$50 fuel (travel to and from interviews, range, classes, etc)
Total: $547
Priceless: Having a CA CCW

gregm784
05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Well? You a legal beagle yet?

SGTKane
05-03-2012, 8:40 PM
Yes. Went off without a hitch. And much to the left's suprise none of my registered firearms shot anyone today either!

gregm784
05-03-2012, 9:19 PM
Must have been the planets in alignment. Mine didn't either.

Congrats.

thatrogue
05-14-2012, 8:31 PM
After being denied in Placer for 2 towing infractions (one speed), and one speeding ticket I have bought a home in EDH. I should close on the 8th of June. I scheduled my appointment for ten days after taking the keys. To soon?

gregm784
05-14-2012, 8:39 PM
Have proof of residency in EDC?

Get a new Ca DL or one of your bills ( i think that'll work )

gregm784
05-14-2012, 8:39 PM
Have proof of residency in EDC?

Get a new Ca DL or one of your bills ( i think that'll work )

lrc1
05-14-2012, 9:14 PM
Had appt at the EDC Sheriff's office last week to turn in my application. Process was simple and the staff was very nice and professional. They told that background checks are running up to eight weeks and that i should expect a call at that point.

gregm784
05-16-2012, 8:01 PM
Everyone I've known that went thru EDC has had great 'customer' service. 😃

cmartin72
06-15-2012, 4:15 PM
Just an update....had my first appt on 4/23, passed background checks, had second interview and got approved on 6/13. Taking class on 6/23. During second interview, I was not once asked about my juvenile records (I listed all I could remember on initial application), and the detective informed me nothing came back so we did not need to discuss. That was a surprise....a GOOD surprise.:D

gregm784
06-25-2012, 9:37 PM
My GF turned in her app May 7th. Has her interview 6/27. 6-7 week wait time for the detectives.

cmartin72
06-26-2012, 9:43 PM
I go in tomorrow to pick up my ccw. Did my class this past Saturday, called yesterday and got an appt for finalizing on July 11th. Then called back yesterday at 4 and was told there was a cancellation for 6/27. Awesome.

gregm784
06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Great job CMartin! Feels good, doesn't it?

The GF passed her interview and picks up her permit tomorrow. She's stoked. No to stop being mouthy with her....she's armed & well trained. :)

Her timeline from the drop off of the app to picking up the permit is 52 days.

beerbeer95648
07-19-2012, 8:08 AM
Too soon? No.

I moved from Placer recently to El Dorado. I scheduled my initial appt once I knew my closing date. I scheduled it for the week after closing. I immediately changed my DMV registration and got a new one issued. When I had my first appt to turn in my application I only had my registration and my mortgage booklet. They could not accept the booklet, but started my process anyway. I then supplied the 2nd form of residency at the interview. DMV wouldn't issue a new drivers license with my address.

thatrogue
07-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Too soon? No.

I moved from Placer recently to El Dorado. I scheduled my initial appt once I knew my closing date. I scheduled it for the week after closing. I immediately changed my DMV registration and got a new one issued. When I had my first appt to turn in my application I only had my registration and my mortgage booklet. They could not accept the booklet, but started my process anyway. I then supplied the 2nd form of residency at the interview. DMV wouldn't issue a new drivers license with my address.

I showed up a week after my close with my mortgage insurance policy and various papers from the purchase of the home. My interview was friendly and generated a few eye rolls while discussing my Placer county experience. Spent about 30 min total.

I did my class again as I was denied a year ago by placer, and I am currently waiting out the 8 weeks. 1/2 way done tomorrow.

I encourage anyone currently lucky enough to live in EL Dorado County to apply or if you are looking to buy a home do what I did and get the hell out of those other counties if you can.

lrc1
08-12-2012, 8:09 PM
I had my interview last week and pick up the permit next week. The Sgt who conducted the interview had lots of good advice for me. It was a very enjoyable and informative discussion. The folks at the El Dorado County Sheriff's office have really been great to deal with and made the process very straight forward

thatrogue
08-20-2012, 9:46 AM
I had my interview last week and pick up the permit next week. The Sgt who conducted the interview had lots of good advice for me. It was a very enjoyable and informative discussion. The folks at the El Dorado County Sheriff's office have really been great to deal with and made the process very straight forward

How many weeks did you wait from your original appointment?

lrc1
08-20-2012, 8:25 PM
It was about six weeks from the time i turned in the app to the time they called to schedule an interview.

doctorjet
08-21-2012, 9:11 AM
It's nice to see everyone likes to come and live in ElDoCo. Sometimes you can't believe you live in California. My wife and I got our CCWs last year and we couldn't be happier. It's so nice having a normal sheriff like John. Let's keep re-electing him.

gregm784
08-21-2012, 9:13 AM
x100!

It is a little bit of heaven. Too bad i commute to Sac County every day, or i'd live in a true dream world!

DuckHunter
08-21-2012, 5:10 PM
I ran into Safeway in Cameron Park this afternoon to pick up some deli pasta salid to go with dinner. I was headed to the gym, so I wasn't carrying. As I walked in, I saw a new sign on the automatic door "Firearms Prohibited". I know the sign wasn't there on Sunday when I was in - or at least I didn't see it.

I know that Safeway is within their right to post this sign - just a little frustrating. My family has been shopping there for the last 10+ years, probably $125 per week on average. I will simply start shopping at Food 4 Less or Bel Aire. I intend to try to send an email to them tomorrow letting them know that their new policy has cost them a long time, loyal customer.

If this isn't the right location for this post - please feel free to move it.

ElDub1950
08-26-2012, 8:40 AM
It's nice to see everyone likes to come and live in ElDoCo. Sometimes you can't believe you live in California. My wife and I got our CCWs last year and we couldn't be happier. It's so nice having a normal sheriff like John. Let's keep re-electing him.

I'd like to add that it's obvious that the Sheriff's staff have adopted and support his policies on CCW. EVERY single person I dealt with was friendly and very helpful. Even better, they seemed to enjoy their job. (That says a lot.)

I've talked to people in other counties who felt they were treated like a criminal through the who process of applying for LTC.

thatrogue
08-31-2012, 8:12 AM
Today is my 9th week. Does anyone have experience with recent timelines?

thatrogue
09-20-2012, 4:26 PM
13 weeks... still waiting on interview, I called the ECSO and it was stated they are weeks behind.

thatrogue
10-10-2012, 1:29 PM
Approved, 2 weeks ago. Picking up permit next week!!!

thatrogue
10-22-2012, 8:53 AM
Went to pick up permit as scheduled, the records team had not yet received the packet from the detectives. Records now says I will be notified by mail if I receive approval. I'm pretty sure I was told I am approved. 19 weeks seems crazy for such a friendly county. Any experience with this department lately?

gregm784
10-22-2012, 9:11 AM
Sad to say, but i think you are the exception. Fell thru the cracks maybe. Everyone i know was done within 19 weeks. Hope it all works out & SOON

thatrogue
10-29-2012, 9:45 PM
I followed up with records Friday, they stated I would receive a call, or something in the mail soon. I came home today to find a certified mail notice for pick up from USPS the sender being el dorado county.

This sounds like a denial to me, why else would thy need to insure the delivery was certified? Can anyone confirm if EDSO sends denials and or approvals via certified mail.

I was told after approval the detectives would send the packet to records and then records would call to schedule an appointment. The detective even said it would take 4-6 weeks to process the packet.

I am also 100% certain he stated he was issuing the permit although that may just be a good way to get you on your way with no argument. I'll be at the post office @ 9 sharp!

thatrogue
10-30-2012, 1:43 PM
I picked up the certified letter. It states in short that I'm denied because I did not disclose a prior arrest. I was denied in placer for speeding/cell phone/towing tickets no talk of arrest. I have never been arrested in my life, not even placed in hand cuffs. I can only laugh at these circumstances, this is such a joke. Writing a letter now.

Enjoy.

1milkman
10-30-2012, 4:17 PM
Do you happen to have a open container ticket? That is considered an arrest and no cuffs or booking involved.

thatrogue
10-30-2012, 6:33 PM
I never have had an interface with the police or court system for anything outside of run of the mill VC violations. I have never been arrested while being ticketed, even temporarily. I have only been questioned one time by the police with regard to a neighbor complaint dog barking/truck parking situation.

As a repossessor I have had thousands of working calls in to various police agencies, hundreds of working interactions with police none resulting in an arrest, detainment temporary or otherwise.

This is baffling, How do I go about pulling an arrest history from law enforcement to see what this mystery arrest is?

ElDub1950
10-30-2012, 6:46 PM
That's all kind of strange. There were some mixups on mine ( a guy with the same name in a small town I used to live in had multiple felony arrests ) they asked me about it during the interview. I explained it (I've had to explain and prove it multiple times) and told them to simply check the middle name DL# and SSN of the offender. They did right there. Done Deal. Got my LTC.

It really should be very easy to clear up.

thatrogue
10-30-2012, 8:16 PM
That's all kind of strange. There were some mixups on mine ( a guy with the same name in a small town I used to live in had multiple felony arrests ) they asked me about it during the interview. I explained it (I've had to explain and prove it multiple times) and told them to simply check the middle name DL# and SSN of the offender. They did right there. Done Deal. Got my LTC.

It really should be very easy to clear up.

That seems reasonable, I find it nonsensical that they would not confront me on the mystery arrest in the interview. The investigator never mentioned or inquired about an arrest.

I just spoke to a friend that says the same issue is happening to another applicant as well. Sounds as if they may be overwhelmed.

User21c
10-30-2012, 9:20 PM
... My interview was friendly and generated a few eye rolls while discussing my Placer county experience. Spent about 30 min total.

I did my class again as I was denied a year ago by placer, and I am currently waiting out the 8 weeks. 1/2 way done tomorrow.

Rogue,
In light of your outcome and some other things you said, maybe those eye rolls weren't in regards to your Placer experience... :rolleyes: Just sayin'... Maybe.

I was told that the interview was really a "get to know you, and see how stable you appear" session.
Were you sarcastic or anything? Have excessive speeding tix or anything else that shows disregard for the law?

thatrogue
10-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Thats possible but I would contend that both the tech and the investigator eluded that the ticket were not a problem,plus the letter states I did not disclose an arrest, not that my character is in questions due to vc violations as placers did.

duesenberg1
11-21-2012, 7:48 PM
Is there a link to an updated list of el dorado approved ccw courses?

gregm784
11-21-2012, 7:50 PM
With all due respect to all the instructors on here, I think there is only one. LFI Guns (http://www.lfiguns.com)

ElDub1950
11-21-2012, 8:20 PM
Gray Ops classes also qual for CCW. http://www.gofast1.com

I got mine from Personal Defense Weapons in EDH http://www.personaldefenseweapons-usa.com/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=3

There are others. Just google <your zip code>: ccw training

scratch
12-12-2012, 9:00 AM
For those of us that live in El Dorado County and have taken advantage of our new Sheriff's CCW process, here is another opportunity to support the SO.

It's called the Citizens Academy and it's put on by the SO; here is a link for more information: http://www.edcgov.us/Government/Sheriff/Programs/Citizen_s_Academy.aspx

This years academy is coming to a close. Last night we did traffic stop role playing where we got to drive a cruiser and pull over a deputy or deputies in a role playing situation. Great learning experience!!

They are taking applications for next year and will put a class together when they have around 25 people. Take advantage of this and support our SO.

sacto929
12-22-2012, 5:46 PM
For those of you who were in the first wave of permits under Sheriff D'Agostini, don't forget that your renewal will be coming up in the next few months. The renewal application is available at the bottom of the Sheriff Dept home page and it can be dropped off any time with no fees collected until approved. Fill it out, drop it off and set an appt for near the time of your expiration.

Remember, if you let it expire, you start over from the beginning....

User21c
01-23-2013, 5:50 AM
For those of you who were in the first wave of permits under Sheriff D'Agostini, don't forget that your renewal will be coming up in the next few months. The renewal application is available at the bottom of the Sheriff Dept home page and it can be dropped off any time with no fees collected until approved. Fill it out, drop it off and set an appt for near the time of your expiration.

Remember, if you let it expire, you start over from the beginning....

Thanks for the reminder!!!:)

thatrogue
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Approved, LTC in hand!!! Now to get a smaller side arm as a p250 is a little on the large side.

gregm784
01-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Good job! Welcome to the club. ;-)

06hummer
02-25-2013, 1:14 PM
Just had my first appt with sheriff dept, and my ccw test is on Mar 9th. Any idea how long it will be before I hear from the sheriff for my second appt? And how many times do you see the sheriff before you get your LTC permit?

GutPunch
03-28-2013, 6:01 AM
How/What are the good cause statements in El Dorado County?

beerbeer95648
03-28-2013, 7:11 AM
How/What are the good cause statements in El Dorado County?

"Self Defense" is all that is required.

ElDub1950
03-28-2013, 7:42 AM
"Self Defense" is all that is required.

They really didn't want to hear any more than that.

gregm784
03-28-2013, 7:43 AM
When i turned in my app, SHE wrote it in. As she was writing in Self Defence, she asked me if it was ok.

Noggles
03-28-2013, 7:56 AM
When i turned in my app, SHE wrote it in. As she was writing in Self Defence, she asked me if it was ok.

Same for me.

bdock
04-09-2013, 2:13 PM
Ok. Second interview is tomorrow. Just punched in the address they gave me on Broadway its a strip mall!?!?! Now I would say I'm pretty familiar with the area, been living here all my life. Has anyone been to thier second app. recently that could give me some more advice as to where the heck to go? I jusy called the 642-XXXX coroners office phone number that called me last week to schedule my appt, and they are either gone for the day or dont answer the phone.

I'm not freeking out or anything my appt is at 8:30AM, and would rather not be late hunting for an address I dont think exsists.

Thanks.

If anyone wants an updated wait time...

I went in for my initial appt. on 2/25 and my second interview is 4/10! Pretty good if you ask me.

As for this; I left that section blank for my app. as well, and she wrote it in without even asking me. Fine with me, just thought it was funny.

gregm784
04-09-2013, 2:17 PM
No lie. You are going to a strip mall. I believe it's called Broadway Plaza. 1336 i think? Been a year now since i was there. It's well marked with the address (not as a sheriff station however).

It's on the north side of Broadway. Simple to find. Arrive 15 early, leave firearms in car. you'll head out at the end of your interview to verify SNs

scratch
04-09-2013, 2:18 PM
bdock,

It's across the street from Shoestrings in the Broadway Plaza, west of Subway.

Have fun...Scratch

ElDub1950
04-09-2013, 2:19 PM
Yes, it's in a small strip mall. Can't miss it once you pull into the parking lot.

ElDub1950
04-09-2013, 2:25 PM
No lie. You are going to a strip mall.

It's on the north side of Broadway. Simple to find. Arrive 15 early, leave firearms in car. you'll head out at the end of your interview to verify SNs

Properly locked in the trunk of course! :)

gregm784
04-09-2013, 2:55 PM
Absolutely.

bdock
04-09-2013, 3:08 PM
Thanks guys!

Properly locked in the trunk of course! :)

I dont have a trunk. But they will be properly locked up (B.S. :rolleyes:) in my Jeep.

gregm784
04-09-2013, 3:13 PM
Ditto. I don't own a car with a trunk. Mine were in the back seat of my truck, in a locked gun box. :) Congrats. Have your training yet?

bdock
04-09-2013, 9:03 PM
Ditto. I don't own a car with a trunk. Mine were in the back seat of my truck, in a locked gun box. :) Congrats. Have your training yet?

No, Saturday. At El Dorado Rod and Gun.

gregm784
04-10-2013, 9:51 AM
How'd your interview go?

bdock
04-10-2013, 1:42 PM
Fantastic. I was standing outside @ 8:05am (im always early) and was out of there by 8:30. Quick runthrough of my application, quick serial number check of my weapons, and a ton of BSing about different holsters and just general gun talk. Very Pleasant.

Im a young guy (early 20's) so I figured I might get some flack or at least a good talking to. Nope, just honest conversation. We talked a little about makng sure you are of the 'right mindset' when carrying, i.e. switching from sport shooter to defensive shooter when you put your gun on in the morning.

I was suprised a few times; I asked a few questions reffering to carrying while riding my motorcycle, and he said he has never had anyone ask about that! I was like what the heck? This guy is a Deputy/Detective and carries a gun essentially everyday, and no citizens would ask questions about what gun he carries off duty, what kind of holster he perfers on a bike, summer time, and things like that.

Overall very pleasant. I happen to know one other person that had thier second interview today, and he was very pleased as well.

I'll add that he was VERY willing to answer any and ALL questions I had.

gregm784
04-10-2013, 1:59 PM
Cool deal. I wear my IWB and a t=shirt with my abrasion jacket on over the top of it. If i'm going to cover lots of miles, the gun goes to the tank bag in another holster, but my iwb stays on.

bdock
04-10-2013, 8:52 PM
Cool deal. I wear my IWB and a t=shirt with my abrasion jacket on over the top of it. If i'm going to cover lots of miles, the gun goes to the tank bag in another holster, but my iwb stays on.

Chances are if I'm just riding to work like usual I'll carry IWB But I'm going to get a shoulder rig as well for longer rides or cold days.

JDay
05-07-2013, 3:53 PM
El Dorado County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/97-el-dorado)

That link no longer works.

ElDub1950
05-07-2013, 4:11 PM
That link no longer works.

I looked all over for it too. The county pages no longer exist :mad:

JDay
05-07-2013, 7:08 PM
Good to know! So what happens if there were 4 offenses as a juvenile, but I only remember 2 and list only those 2? I barely even remember those.

I know this is an old post but I want to point out that you can get a live scan done and a copy of your rap sheet sent to you if you are unsure what is on your record.

http://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security

JDay
05-07-2013, 7:37 PM
Approved, LTC in hand!!! Now to get a smaller side arm as a p250 is a little on the large side.

So what exactly was the problem if you don't mind me asking?

otteray
05-08-2013, 6:48 AM
I looked all over for it too. The county pages no longer exist :mad:

Is this what you are looking for? (http://www.edcgov.us/Government/Sheriff/Sheriff_s_Forms.aspx)

ElDub1950
05-08-2013, 7:50 AM
Is this what you are looking for? (http://www.edcgov.us/Government/Sheriff/Sheriff_s_Forms.aspx)

No, their used to be a section in CalGuns for each or at least most counties.

NorCalDustin
06-02-2013, 12:33 AM
What are the renewal times looking like these days? Mine is coming up in November and I'm looking to figure out when to start the process.

And a couple years ago some people were timing renewals so that they did not need to do the training every other renewal... Is the EDSO still accepting training that is just under 2 years old for a renewal?

bdock
06-04-2013, 2:11 PM
What are the renewal times looking like these days? Mine is coming up in November and I'm looking to figure out when to start the process.

And a couple years ago some people were timing renewals so that they did not need to do the training every other renewal... Is the EDSO still accepting training that is just under 2 years old for a renewal?

As far as renewals im not 100% sure. If you need to go through the same process as if you were applying for a new license mine looked like this...

Initial appt. - Feb. 25th

Appt. with the Detective - April 10th (Approved)

Pickup License - May 23rd

NorCalDustin
06-06-2013, 5:53 PM
I appreciate the response... I may start it in July then.

User21c
06-08-2013, 6:05 PM
Better idea... Why don't you pick up the phone, and call them?

User21c
06-08-2013, 6:08 PM
So what exactly was the problem if you don't mind me asking?

I think he minds... :rolleyes:
Read his previous posts...

NorCalDustin
06-08-2013, 6:55 PM
Better idea... Why don't you pick up the phone, and call them?
I did... But the answer I got was far different than what others have PMed me, a couple of CCW instructors I spoke to indicated, etc..

I know the SO's has good intentions, but I've often found that for timelines they are basically worthless.

User21c
06-08-2013, 6:57 PM
Check the schedule availability, and then make an appt online...
https://app.timetrade.com/tc/login.do?url=sheriff.eldorado

DuckHunter
06-12-2013, 6:18 AM
I just wanted to pass on some info I found out yesterday when I phoned the Sheriff's Office. When you are renewing an LTC, you don't need to make an appointment to drop off the paperwork, just to pick up your completed license.

Currently the earliest appointment available is in the last week of August.

turboman916
06-22-2013, 3:14 PM
my drop off appointment was on the 17th. They said 8 weeks before my next interview.... so if approved I need to schedule a pick up appointment after that. Looked and those are booked out to September DAMN! When did everyone start getting their el dorado ccw lol.

DuckHunter
06-22-2013, 5:16 PM
my drop off appointment was on the 17th. They said 8 weeks before my next interview.... so if approved I need to schedule a pick up appointment after that. Looked and those are booked out to September DAMN! When did everyone start getting their el dorado ccw lol.

When Sheriff D'Agositini took office........

NorCalDustin
07-08-2013, 9:52 PM
I walked in my renewal paperwork today... They are 3 MONTHS out on LTC pickups... You guys who have to wait 8 weeks before your next interview may want to see if you can schedule your LTC pickup now..

That way you'll have your LTC a month or so after your second interview. Otherwise you'll be waiting another 3 months.

Hispanic_Hercules
07-08-2013, 10:13 PM
When Sheriff D'Agositini took office........

That's because he is BAD *****.....

lrc1
07-21-2013, 2:53 PM
I have an appointment in September to add a new firearm to my permit, but can't find information about any requirements like passing a shooting test etc. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

DuckHunter
07-21-2013, 7:46 PM
When I added a gun about a year ago, no shooting test required. I just went in with the paperwork filled out and they typed up the new permit. They didn't charge me anything, either. When you renew your permit you will have to bring your shooting test.

lrc1
07-21-2013, 8:50 PM
Thank you

5thgen4runner
07-22-2013, 5:09 PM
Mine is up in december. Who should I take the renewal class from? And when should I start the renewal. Its my first renewal. Im actually taking off a few hg, I don't have anymore and just leaving the one hg.

DuckHunter
07-22-2013, 7:01 PM
Mine is up in late September, I turned in my renewal paperwork (no appointment required) in mid-June. I received my approved paperwork back from the sherrif's office around 3 weeks later. I made an appointment in early September to drop off my training certificate and money. For my training I signed up with Wes Lagomarsino at http://www.lfiguns.com/. I did my original class with him and really enjoyed it. I think he does a couple of the 4 hour classes per month - the shooting is held at Sacramento Valley Shooting Center which is near Sloughhouse which isn't all that far.

bdock
07-31-2013, 8:42 PM
Damn... I got a new Glock... Appt. to add it my permit scheduled for OCT!?!?! :banghead:

A couple pieces of advice for those of you currently in the process...

Once you get approved, call to make an appt. to pick up your permit (assuming you have your cert. from your class or can complete it in the mean time.)

AND

BTW If you are waiting for a pick-up appointment, dont be afraid to call EVERYDAY looking for cancellations. I felt super reserved about calling. Then I said Eff it... I started calling every morning about 8:00am and got one within a week.

GutPunch
08-01-2013, 7:26 AM
Its really too bad they don't have a way to expedite the process for someone with a permit already (in my case Sac County) who is moving. I've done what I can to sign up in advance but I'm still looking at a September date for the first appointment. :(

GutPunch
09-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Does anyone have the current cost of fees for El Do? Do they require Cashiers Checks like Sac County?

DuckHunter
09-05-2013, 11:17 AM
If I'm not mistaken, they will accept a personal check, maybe even cash. Not sure on the fees, or if you will have to re-do your livescan. Probably a phone call would be best; they have always been very helpful for me.

sltgunner
09-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Hi,

Cash or personal check are acceptable. Exact change is best.

Sltgunner

ChrisC
09-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Just paid with a personal check last week, El Dorado is the best county.

bdock
09-06-2013, 8:23 AM
I paid cash. It was $123 and they were happy to take exact change in Cash.

GutPunch
09-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Confirmed on the $123 personal check.

mobbology
10-28-2014, 11:20 PM
Im going to go this Friday. Anything new changes since this thread's last update? Do I need to do a live scan? I assume I need to go to Placerville, which building do I need to submit my application? Thanks for the help

ElDub1950
10-29-2014, 5:38 AM
Im going to go this Friday. Anything new changes since this thread's last update? Do I need to do a live scan? I assume I need to go to Placerville, which building do I need to submit my application? Thanks for the help

Sheriff's Office, 300 Fair Lane. Take your completed app and checkbook.

scratch
10-29-2014, 6:29 AM

and a smile...:D

mobbology
10-29-2014, 2:03 PM

Checkbook? How about cash??? Wife has had enough of my gun spending habits. haha

and a smile...:D

Thanks! Cant wait to get this done, been living here for 8 years and never got around in doing this.

Do you know if there is a Live Scanned involved in this process?

User21c
10-29-2014, 6:19 PM
Yes, there is a LiveScan required... The info is on the EDC website.

ElDub1950
10-29-2014, 6:57 PM
Checkbook? How about cash??? Wife has had enough of my gun spending habits. haha

bdock above said he paid cash. I 'think' I remember that they would accept exact cash amount.

User21c
10-29-2014, 6:59 PM
Yes, as posted by others in this thread, they accept cash.

ElDub1950
01-29-2015, 10:38 AM
Wanted to add 2 guns to my LTC (on roster Shield and off roster XDs)

Logged on to the EDSO calendar website .. appointments available in 8 days .. booked one for 10:20 this morning.

Arrived at 10:18 and parked 10 steps from the front door.

Walked up to the Records window and handed my LTC and DL to a friendly, smiling EDSO employee. I wrote down the Mfg, Model, Caliber & Serial of the 2 guns. Waited a few minutes for the paperwork, signed 4 places and put my thumb print 3 places. Nice lady neatly trimmed my new LTC and gave it to me. We thanked each other and I walked out smiling!

Cost for qualification certificate = Not Required
Total time to complete adding 2 guns to my LTC - 14 minutes
Total paid to EDSO for updated LTC - Zero $$
Value of living in a 2A friendly county - Priceless !!

mobbology
02-04-2015, 2:33 PM
I've been approved!

Here is my timeline:

11/7/14 Turned in application and set up 1st interview appointment
11/14/14 1st Interview with Sheriff, Livescan done right after
1/24/15 8 CCW Class and Qualifying
1/29/15 Contacted to schedule interview with Detective.
2/4/15 2nd Interview with Detective, made appointment afterwards to pick up permit
2/18/15 Scheduled to Pick up Permit

Paladin
02-04-2015, 6:53 PM
I've been approved!

Here is my timeline:

11/7/14 Turned in application and set up 1st interview appointment
11/14/14 1st Interview with Sheriff
1/24/15 8 CCW Class and Qualifying
1/29/15 Contacted to schedule interview with Detective.
2/4/15 2nd Interview with Detective
2/18/15 Scheduled to Pick up Permit
Congrats!

:party:

Did you use more than "self-defense" as a GC statement? If so, do you know if mere SD is sufficient GC for the El Dorado SO?

mobbology
02-04-2015, 8:46 PM
Congrats!

Did you use more than "self-defense" as a GC statement? If so, do you know if mere SD is sufficient GC for the El Dorado SO?

Thank you. Yes I used "self defense" as my GC statement. It was good enough for them with no pressing questions after. My CCW application experience with El Dorado County was phenomenal. I was told, the process would have been a lot faster if the background check didn't take so long. I am very pleased with the El Dorado County Sheriffs admin staff.

JDay
02-04-2015, 9:34 PM
Congrats!

Just put "personal protection". That is all you need.

mobbology
03-02-2015, 2:48 AM
Wanted to add 2 guns to my LTC (on roster Shield and off roster XDs)

Logged on to the EDSO calendar website .. appointments available in 8 days .. booked one for 10:20 this morning.

Arrived at 10:18 and parked 10 steps from the front door.

Walked up to the Records window and handed my LTC and DL to a friendly, smiling EDSO employee. I wrote down the Mfg, Model, Caliber & Serial of the 2 guns. Waited a few minutes for the paperwork, signed 4 places and put my thumb print 3 places. Nice lady neatly trimmed my new LTC and gave it to me. We thanked each other and I walked out smiling!

Cost for qualification certificate = Not Required
Total time to complete adding 2 guns to my LTC - 14 minutes
Total peid to EDSO for updated LTC - Zero $$
Value of living in a 2A friendly county - Priceless !!

I am about to make an appointment to add a 1911. From your description, everything was done on the same appointment? Meaning, updating the permit and acquiring it the same day? Did anyone inspect the firearm as well? My permit has taken up all the lines on listed firearms. Do you have an idea where they list the 4th firearm and beyond.

BTW, its because your post on how to acquire a CCW that helped me. Although quite blunt hahaha, it is direct. Appreciate your post.

kelley_aj
03-02-2015, 8:00 AM
Where in the process did you guys do your live scan? My house will close the middle of this month so I'm trying to schedule everything.
It would be nice fire the process to take less steps if you already have an LTC from another county

ElDub1950
03-02-2015, 8:19 AM
I am about to make an appointment to add a 1911. From your description, everything was done on the same appointment? Meaning, updating the permit and acquiring it the same day? Did anyone inspect the firearm as well? My permit has taken up all the lines on listed firearms. Do you have an idea where they list the 4th firearm and beyond.

BTW, its because your post on how to acquire a CCW that helped me. Although quite blunt hahaha, it is direct. Appreciate your post.

Yes all done and new permit in hand in the short appointment. No inspection, they even used the pic from my old permit.

The 4th + gun goes on the back of the permit. Makes laminating it and fitting it in your wallet more difficult, but, oh well ... free-county problems. :D

Glad the info helped.

mobbology
03-02-2015, 8:34 PM
Where in the process did you guys do your live scan? My house will close the middle of this month so I'm trying to schedule everything.
It would be nice fire the process to take less steps if you already have an LTC from another county

It was done after my 1st interview. On the same day. With that said, I updated my timeline

Glockman#1
06-07-2015, 4:29 PM
Received permit recently, want to commend El Dorado County Sheriff for his position on issuance. I live on a large land parcel where I carry my glock while walking my dog. I'm too old to run very fast but the glock and the dog keep me safe.

Paladin
06-08-2015, 2:12 PM
Received permit recently, want to commend El Dorado County Sheriff for his position on issuance. I live on a large land parcel where I carry my glock while walking my dog. I'm too old to run very fast but the glock and the dog keep me safe.
Congrats!

Did you have to use more than "self-defense" as Good Cause?

ElDub1950
06-08-2015, 4:17 PM

Sheriff D’Agostini and his team can't be beat!!

mobbology
06-25-2015, 3:29 AM

Congrats, a buddy of mine who recently moved here just received his as well.

Sheriff D’Agostini and his team can't be beat!!

And he will get my vote again! Love living in this county

Sundevil36
06-27-2015, 2:26 PM
Does anyone have a breakdown of fees for the whole process? My appointment is in two days and I want to bring exact change.

JDay
06-27-2015, 3:22 PM
You only need the application fee. Livescan and the CCW course are separate.

Sundevil36
06-27-2015, 4:14 PM
is it $123 for the app? how much for live scan? any time I google it or go to the EDC site there's no clear info on fees. the course I already have scheduled so I know the cost on those.

JDay
06-27-2015, 6:50 PM
is it $123 for the app? how much for live scan? any time I google it or go to the EDC site there's no clear info on fees. the course I already have scheduled so I know the cost on those.
Did you try calling them? The El Dorado County Sheriff's Department will answer any questions you have.

cookeze
07-06-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm at 90 days waiting to hear something on my El Dorado ccw application. DOJ is not complete yet. Is this a normal wait time? What have you experienced?

mobbology
07-08-2015, 12:49 AM
I'm at 90 days waiting to hear something on my El Dorado ccw application. DOJ is not complete yet. Is this a normal wait time? What have you experienced?

a buddy of mine just picked up his permit well over 4 months. He was in the same situation as you, delayed background checks.

cookeze
07-09-2015, 7:54 AM
Thanks, while I'm not happy, I feel better that this is normal. Unfortunately, I have a very common name.....

md2bpo
07-17-2015, 6:32 PM
Be sure to post w what you remember of your timeline & experience in the El Dorado Co thread. When you do that, then I'll post "Congrats!" ;)

Ha -

Timeline for El Dorado County

Called for initial screening appointment - February 18
Initial screening and fingerprinting for FBI background - Feb 27
Background Complete - May 29
Final interview to state Protection of Family as good cause - June 17
CCW Class - June 18
CCW Issued - July 1

Every step of the way, El Do Co Sherrif's office was helpful, informative, and pleasant to interact with. Another great reason to move to El Dorado Hills should you be tired of the traffic and cost of living in the bay. This is really as close we are going to get to a free state in CA without having to retreat to a rural area...

PS - from the beginning they told me they are a few months backed up due to delays in FBI background results being returned...

User21c
07-17-2015, 7:15 PM
"Another great reason to move to El Dorado Hills should you be tired of the traffic and cost of living in the bay. "

Please stop telling people to move here....
We really don't want to become the next San Jose... :facepalm:

All in good humor.

md2bpo
07-17-2015, 7:28 PM
"Another great reason to move to El Dorado Hills should you be tired of the traffic and cost of living in the bay. "

Please stop telling people to move here....
We really don't want to become the next San Jose... :facepalm:

All in good humor.

lol. Point taken.

Paladin
07-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Timeline for El Dorado County

Called for initial screening appointment - February 18
Initial screening and fingerprinting for FBI background - Feb 27
Background Complete - May 29
Final interview to state Protection of Family as good cause - June 17
CCW Class - June 18
CCW Issued - July 1

Every step of the way, El Do Co Sherrif's office was helpful, informative, and pleasant to interact with. Another great reason to move to El Dorado Hills should you be tired of the traffic and cost of living in the bay. This is really as close we are going to get to a free state in CA without having to retreat to a rural area...

PS - from the beginning they told me they are a few months backed up due to delays in FBI background results being returned...
Congrats!

I'm glad to hear the process was painless and hassle free.

Be sure to carry whenever you visit the SFBA and encourage folks who may be interested to apply in El Do Co. :cheers2:

User21c
07-19-2015, 6:28 AM
Be sure to carry whenever you visit the SFBA and encourage folks who may be interested to apply in El Do Co. :cheers2:

You need to be resident of the County to apply.
Folks living in the SFBA can't apply in El Dorado county.

I'm assuming you mean the San Fran Bay Area...

Paladin
07-20-2015, 8:08 AM
You need to be resident of the County to apply.
Folks living in the SFBA can't apply in El Dorado county.

I'm assuming you mean the San Fran Bay Area...I was encouraging him to both: (A) carrying when visiting the SFBA and (B) encourage people in El Do Co to apply for CCWs.

Rainfly
07-28-2015, 8:48 AM
I apologize if this has been previously asked and answered.

I've recently moved to El Dorado County. Do I need to be a resident for a certain amount of time before I can apply for a CCW?

md2bpo
07-28-2015, 8:51 AM
I apologize if this has been previously asked and answered.

I've recently moved to El Dorado County. Do I need to be a resident for a certain amount of time before I can apply for a CCW?

Negative. Just have your updated DL in hand and apply away.

Rainfly
07-28-2015, 8:53 AM
Negative. Just have your updated DL in hand and apply away.

Thank you sir

md2bpo
07-28-2015, 8:56 AM
No prob. They are about 3-4 months behind, so just call to make your first apt now. It'll probably be a couple weeks out from when you call. you don't need to send anything in yet. Bring your app to your first apt, and get finger printed for backgrounds. 3 months later - you're GTG

The_Mechanic
09-06-2015, 6:31 AM
No prob. They are about 3-4 months behind, so just call to make your first apt now. It'll probably be a couple weeks out from when you call. you don't need to send anything in yet. Bring your app to your first apt, and get finger printed for backgrounds. 3 months later - you're GTG

I got my first apt withing 2 weeks (picture, finger prints and turn in papers). The officer at the window said to call them if I haven't heard from the detective by 3 months. Papers turned in May 1st. I called Aug 1st and the women said they are behind and it can take up to 6 months.

During my military career I got my CCW in GA and ID. Would this cause a problem or a delay with backgrounds?

Thanks

ElDub1950
09-06-2015, 7:23 AM
I got my first apt withing 2 weeks (picture, finger prints and turn in papers). The officer at the window said to call them if I haven't heard from the detective by 3 months. Papers turned in May 1st. I called Aug 1st and the women said they are behind and it can take up to 6 months.

During my military career I got my CCW in GA and ID. Would this cause a problem or a delay with backgrounds?

Thanks

Really wouldn't have any affect on your process one way or the other.

cookeze
09-06-2015, 11:46 AM
A friend of mine just got a call for the detective interview. He applied on April 10th. I just got my CCW (interview 8/26) I applied on April 3. You should be getting close..

User21c
09-21-2015, 8:35 PM
Hi all,
I need to renew again, and was starting to schedule my appointment online...
What type of appointment do folks use for renewals? The choices are NEW application, and MODIFY application (add weapons, etc.)

I forget what I did 2 years ago... After all, it was 2 years ago. :)

User21c
09-23-2015, 9:13 PM
Never mind.... You simply drop off your application, no appt needed.

The_Mechanic
10-26-2015, 10:11 PM

Thanks

Update: Had my interview 4 weeks ago. Pick up my card tomorrow. They are back longed on pick ups. I guess its a good thing that they are back longed. Means that people are applying more. Total time from applying to pick up was 4 days short of 6 months...wow

faris1984
10-26-2015, 10:16 PM
Do you guys get a credit card size permit or just like Sacramento.

5thgen4runner
10-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Do you guys get a credit card size permit or just like Sacramento.
Paper about 4x4inches. Come to think, i need to renew come dec.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

User21c
11-07-2015, 3:36 PM
I pick up my renewal in a few week, but a friend just got his ED County CCW and said he was told they were sending a credit card style permit in addition to the paper they handed him.

I guess I'll find out for sure in a few weeks...

faris1984
11-07-2015, 3:38 PM
I pick up my renewal in a few week, but a friend just got his ED County CCW and said he was told they were sending a credit card style permit in addition to the paper they handed him.

I guess I'll find out for sure in a few weeks...

I hope they do it and hopefully Sacramento do the same.

User21c
11-07-2015, 3:41 PM
They used to - when I first got my CCW in 2011... they were kind of cheesy, and 'blurry'... also - only the paper permit is valid as proof of permit, so I was told.

faris1984
11-09-2015, 2:09 PM
They used to - when I first got my CCW in 2011... they were kind of cheesy, and 'blurry'... also - only the paper permit is valid as proof of permit, so I was told.

Sacramento?

User21c
11-09-2015, 2:19 PM
Not Sacramento - this is the EDC forum... I don't know about Sac, ask in the Sac forum - they should be able to help you out.

mobbology
11-14-2015, 6:55 AM
Yes they do give out the plastic credit card CCW, but its not valid. Only the paper permit is

ElDub1950
11-14-2015, 7:43 AM
Yes they do give out the plastic credit card CCW, but its not valid. Only the paper permit is

I keep seeing this repeated many times but I don't find anything that says the plastic is not valid. Nor has anyone here ever stated they had a problem with any LEO encounter because they had a plastic permit.

I also find it hard to believe that multiple counties are issuing invalid permits. It's becoming the norm.

I pick up my renewal in a couple of weeks and I'll ask. But if it's fine with EDSO it's fine with me.

User21c
11-14-2015, 7:50 AM
If you search the forum or Google, you'll find the statute that clearly states "the only acceptable, valid form of permit that shall be recognized in CA is (description of paper form)".... EDSO will tell you that too, the plastic one is like a souvenir.

JDay
11-14-2015, 7:59 AM
If you search the forum or Google, you'll find the statute that clearly states "the only acceptable, valid form of permit that shall be recognized in CA is (description of paper form)".... EDSO will tell you that too, the plastic one is like a souvenir.
The police only care that it comes back valid when they run it.

User21c
11-14-2015, 8:07 AM
Law Enforcement in other counties typically won't accept it. They accept the formal paper version. They don't know about each county's plastics...

Source: EDSO and LE officer in Sac

spegull03
11-16-2015, 8:08 PM
I called this afternoon (11/16/15) and booked the first available initial appointment - 12/21/15. Looks like they are really backlogged, but not as bad as Sac County when I got my permit 4+ years ago. I was hoping to not have to go through the whole process since my permit is still valid, but they said no.

Sapperforward
11-16-2015, 8:27 PM
I called this afternoon (11/16/15) and booked the first available initial appointment - 12/21/15. Looks like they are really backlogged, but not as bad as Sac County when I got my permit 4+ years ago. I was hoping to not have to go through the whole process since my permit is still valid, but they said no.

Funny thing is now in Sacramento County you can almost get a next day appointment for initial and long as its a Monday thru Thursday.

ElDub1950
11-23-2015, 8:06 AM
EDSO continues to excel in their customer service. I dropped off my renewal application last week .. no appointment necessary. While I signed my renewal app they booked an appointment for me to pick up my new permit, on the day that was most convenient for me. Seeing the threads from other counties, I'm really glad I live here :)

BTW, did my renewal class yesterday afternoon with Joe Truesdale, One on On Firearms. First class I've taken with Joe. Really like him and his team. Going to sign up for some other train classes soon.

GlockN'Roll
11-23-2015, 10:04 AM
EDSO continues to excel in their customer service.
I dropped off my renewal application last week .. no appointment necessary.
While I signed my renewal app they booked an appointment for me to pick up my new permit, on the day that was most convenient for me.
Seeing the threads from other counties, I'm really glad I live here :)

BTW, did my renewal class yesterday afternoon with Joe Truesdale, One on On Firearms.

First class I've taken with Joe.

Really like him and his team.

Going to sign up for some other train classes soon.

Think about sharing a brief review of your training class in the Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=212

I am sure people will appreciate your feedback.

Lionwood
12-02-2015, 5:00 PM
I did my initial drop off of paperwork, etc. back in August and I still have yet to get the actual interview with the detectives. But like you guys said, the back log can be a good thing in that it means that more people are applying, but delay is still delay.. :( I plan to call the EDSO to see how much farther out I should anticipate the wait..

User21c
12-03-2015, 8:52 PM
It comes with a letter, stating "This card is not recognized as a valid CCW license by the the State of California. Please make sure you always carry your paper CCW license with you when you carry concealed."

Signed by Sheriff A'Agostini.

Also - I have more than 3 weapons on it, so they don't list them on teh plastic. The say "refer to DOJ carry permit".

And it's still blurry...:)

spegull03
12-22-2015, 8:00 AM
Dropped off my application yesterday, was told 4-5 months for a detective interview.

User21c
12-22-2015, 5:19 PM
Wow... was 4-5 weeks when I got mine in 2011...
It's almost as if people don't trust the Gov't to keep them safe! :rolleyes:

Best sale
12-26-2015, 7:18 AM
Dropped off my application yesterday, was told 4-5 months for a detective interview.

not sure why other states can process within 3 months and Kalifornia Sheriff can't....????

Sundevil36
12-26-2015, 7:02 PM
Applied in late june, just got call back for interview with detectives. Unfortunate timing since I am now away for work and won't be back until may of 16. Might have to start over :(

GlockN'Roll
12-27-2015, 6:52 AM
Applied in late june, just got call back for interview with detectives. Unfortunate timing since I am now away for work and won't be back until may of 16. Might have to start over :(

Alert them regarding your planned travel/temporary absence.

Life goes on while you await the processing of your app they understand this.

I wouldn't reapply unless/until they suggest you do so...

ElDub1950
02-02-2016, 11:34 AM
It comes with a letter, stating "This card is not recognized as a valid CCW license by the the State of California. Please make sure you always carry your paper CCW license with you when you carry concealed."

Signed by Sheriff A'Agostini.

Also - I have more than 3 weapons on it, so they don't list them on teh plastic. The say "refer to DOJ carry permit".

And it's still blurry...:)

Picked up my renewal a couple weeks ago. They confirmed the plastic card is useless and that they don't bother to list guns on the plastic any more. I told them to not bother sending it. Just something else to put in a drawer somewhere and throw it away in a couple of years :)

martinihenry
02-04-2016, 10:14 AM
My dad bought me a CCW course for Xmas, so I'm filling out the paperwork now.

I've browsed through all of the archived pages here, and didn't see clarification on the accepted "reason" one should put to gain access to the magic kingdom. I put "Self defense, personal protection.", is that satisfactory without further elaboration, or do they want more as the paperwork states ("If the CCW license is desired for self-protection...you are required to explain and provide good cause for issuance of the license.")?

Will keep the forum posted on how things go.

ElDub1950
02-04-2016, 7:27 PM
My dad bought me a CCW course for Xmas, so I'm filling out the paperwork now.

I've browsed through all of the archived pages here, and didn't see clarification on the accepted "reason" one should put to gain access to the magic kingdom. I put "Self defense, personal protection.", is that satisfactory without further elaboration, or do they want more as the paperwork states ("If the CCW license is desired for self-protection...you are required to explain and provide good cause for issuance of the license.")?

Will keep the forum posted on how things go.

Self defense.

Nothing else is necessary

Lionwood
02-05-2016, 7:24 AM
Well, it looks like my interview is scheduled for later this month. Is there anything I should know about what they'll ask or discuss with me ? I've heard various things but would like to hear directly from you guys. I have a clean record so that's not an issue, but I've heard some say the process is easy to someone else say that his dad got grilled and he was a vet and gov't employee, so if you could share your experience so I'll have some insight, I would really appreciate it, thanks !

ElDub1950
02-05-2016, 7:57 AM
It's been awhile, but my interview was short and pleasant. They kinda want to see you to make sure your not some twitchy crackhead that just hasn't gotten caught at anything. They know the answers to most of the questions they ask so they're just checking you're forthright and honest. Be relaxed and answer anything honestly and don't ramble.

My livescan had returned info about a guy with the same name who lived near at one time a decade ago. I'd had the same problem before and just pointed out the different middle name and that was that.

I'm surprised anyone ever felt like they 'got grilled'... if they did it was probably because they were a gov't employee. That group is known to work with a lot of sketchy people like politicians :)

Lionwood
02-05-2016, 1:22 PM
It's been awhile, but my interview was short and pleasant. They kinda want to see you to make sure your not some twitchy crackhead that just hasn't gotten caught at anything. They know the answers to most of the questions they ask so they're just checking you're forthright and honest. Be relaxed and answer anything honestly and don't ramble.

My livescan had returned info about a guy with the same name who lived near at one time a decade ago. I'd had the same problem before and just pointed out the different middle name and that was that.

I'm surprised anyone ever felt like they 'got grilled'... if they did it was probably because they were a gov't employee. That group is known to work with a lot of sketchy people like politicians :)
Ha ha, sounds good. I think things should go well, I'll be looking forward to it. Thanks ! :D

Jason_2111
03-13-2016, 2:25 PM
I just discovered yesterday that the live fire qualification requirement has been dropped by our awesome sheriff. :)

Sundevil36
05-22-2016, 4:54 PM
2nd interview is scheduled for this coming wednesday, what documents other than CA ID do I need to bring to them, if anything this time around?

mobbology
05-25-2016, 5:04 AM
2nd interview is scheduled for this coming wednesday, what documents other than CA ID do I need to bring to them, if anything this time around?

2nd form of address verification. I used my car registration. Good Luck

spegull03
05-25-2016, 9:25 AM
Received my permit recently, made my initial appointment in November and the first available was mid-December. Had the 2nd interview end of April and turned in my training docs this week to receive my permit. So roughly 5 months start to finish.

Sundevil36
05-25-2016, 4:02 PM
Just finished the second interview, went swimmingly. Just basic questions and going over the dos and don'ts. Just need to do my class and I'm good to go!