PDA

View Full Version : Contra Costa

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

obeygiant
10-14-2010, 10:09 PM
(removed dead link to out-of-date GC statements)

Anyone who gets denied in Contra Costa Co (either by a city's PD or by the Sheriff's Office), and wants to fight it should read the following quote from my ("Paladin") post in the Monterey Co thread. (There they accept SD as GC, but push the GMC requirement.) The 14th Amendment Equal Protection applies to ALL aspects of the application process, not just GC and GMC.

So, they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification.... :facepalm: :mad:

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

UPDATE (2015 June 27): with SCOTUS declining to grant Jackson cert and Peruta having gone to an en banc panel of CA9, things at the moment look grim for CGNers in CoCoCo. We should no longer assume the "Heller 5" will say our RKBA protected by the 2nd A "shall not be infringed." :mad:

We've got to adapt to this "new reality" until we get some reason to think otherwise. Thus, I've condensed and updated a previous thread of mine and made it into a new thread so that at least some who work in CoCoCo can get CCWs.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=16522545

:chris:

UPDATE (2015 July 04): Near the bottom of the column on the left (at: http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/279/Community-Information), I saw this cryptically titled link "SO Response to Ninth Circuit Ruling." Also, under "Useful Links" is a link boringly titled "Office of the Sheriff response to Ninth Circuit ruling." Note well how neither link says ANYTHING to give the uninformed visitor any idea what these links are about. Neither uses "CCW", "concealed", "handgun", "carry", or "permit." They both link to the below, the ONLY information I could find re. CCWs on their website.

SO Response to Ninth Circuit Ruling
**Message from the Office of the Sheriff**

We are aware of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruling in the Peruta case. County Counsel is currently reviewing the matter.

Office of the Sheriff policies will be modified to comply with the Court's decision should any changes be necessary.
From: http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/5465/SO-Response-to-Ninth-Circuit-Ruling

BusBoy
10-18-2010, 7:40 PM
Tagging for info...

Would love to guinea pig a CCW run through... Ive been seriously looking into getting one. I also believe I live within 300 yards or two previous muders!! :mad: and Im thinking that self defense is still not a valid Good Cause for our good Sheriff.

Looking to help out! USE ME!!! LOL!

berto
10-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Rupf's policy is problematic on many levels.

Perhaps his successor can be reasoned with?

freedomtools
10-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Rupf's policy is problematic on many levels.

Perhaps his successor can be reasoned with?

Probably not, it seems like Livingston was Rupf's hand-picked successor. He never responded to questions about his stance on CCW. He did respond somewhat enthusiastically to a request for info about joining the "Sherrif's Posse".

I can't wait until it's Co. Co.'s turn to get sued!

berto
10-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Probably not, it seems like Livingston was Rupf's hand-picked successor. He never responded to questions about his stance on CCW. He did respond somewhat enthusiastically to a request for info about joining the "Sherrif's Posse".

I can't wait until it's Co. Co.'s turn to get sued!

I'm not holding out much hope but starting a new job by getting your posterior handed to you isn't a great first impression. I looked into the posse but I don't know any posse members and I'm unwilling to pay the freight to join the club.

ImpliedConsent
10-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Count me in for a CCW guinea pig run, too. I also donated $100 to CGF two nights back to sponsor action in CoCo :)

non sequitur
10-20-2010, 9:46 AM
This info is a little dated (from 2002) but it's an interesting read about Contra Costa County Sheriff Warren Rupf and the whole CCW issue.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/march/Posse.doc

If this info is already posted somewhere in Calguns, I apologize in advance but it seems appropriate to post the info here again.

Good luck in Contra Costa County!

BusBoy
10-22-2010, 8:51 PM
This info is a little dated (from 2002) but it's an interesting read about Contra Costa County Sheriff Warren Rupf and the whole CCW issue.

If this info is already posted somewhere in Calguns, I apologize in advance but it seems appropriate to post the info here again.

Interesting read... looking at this and other docs that include some of the GC statements that were used... Personal protection has been used in the past so wouldnt you be able to NOW go and use that as a good cause and be permitted?? Or... do the GC justification and level of pass or fail come and go with the current sitting sheriff?? So if the recent Sheriff said yes to personal protection dose the current sitting Sheriff have to follow past GC reasons??

Anyway.... still cant wait for this to get rolling. It will be fun to see a "dark red" county be brought to its knees.

safewaysecurity
10-23-2010, 11:59 PM

Some people write self-defense and some people write nothing.. doesn't that mean under law they have to grant me a CCW if I apply and have no criminal backround?

Gray Peterson
10-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Need to figure out if that information is currently valid.

vandal
10-25-2010, 9:49 AM
I applied some years ago (maybe 10?). Was told (and still have the letter) that I had to apply to Walnut Creek PD first. WCPD told me up front based on a verbal conversation that I would not be issued one and discouraged me from going through the process, effort, and expense for a known negative outcome.

So basically due to the Sheriff's "agreement with chiefs" I would have had to double my application fees and time/effort commitment to even have my application considered.

BusBoy
10-25-2010, 10:10 AM
So basically due to the Sheriff's "agreement with chiefs" I would have had to double my application fees and time/effort commitment to even have my application considered.

That flat out sucks... I'm really glad that WildHawker is undertaking this effort to give the citizens of California a fair shake at CCW.

Bad Voodoo
10-25-2010, 10:13 AM
C'mon Contra Costa residents - we need eight more sponsors to reach goal: http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/156-sponsorships-to-date

Gray Peterson
10-25-2010, 10:18 AM
I applied some years ago (maybe 10?). Was told (and still have the letter) that I had to apply to Walnut Creek PD first. WCPD told me up front based on a verbal conversation that I would not be issued one and discouraged me from going through the process, effort, and expense for a known negative outcome.

That's nice........

Bad Voodoo
10-25-2010, 10:19 AM
... Livingston ...did respond somewhat enthusiastically to a request for info about joining the "Sherrif's Posse".

You don't say? :rolleyes:

The master taught him well.

BusBoy
10-25-2010, 10:28 AM
C'mon Contra Costa residents - we need eight more sponsors to reach goal: http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/156-sponsorships-to-date

As requested... Paypal Confirm #2J370853T32156156

C'mon Contra Costa residents - we need eight seven more sponsors to reach goal:

tgriffin
10-25-2010, 10:38 AM
What happens when we reach the sponsorship goal?

Bad Voodoo
10-25-2010, 10:43 AM
What happens when we reach the sponsorship goal?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=5152744&postcount=44

I'm not made of money by any means, but IMO this is certainly worth funding. "Freedom isn't free" has many meanings, especially in these CA counties!

vandal
10-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Bing... you've got sponsorship

BusBoy
10-25-2010, 9:51 PM
Alright... who messed up the County Sponsorship numbers for COCO County??!! :mad: I see other sponsor pledges and I have no reason to doubt that they did actually make a donation and I KNOW I made mine....

When I made my $100 donation the list said 8 more needed... mine brought it down to 7... please fix the numbers!!

I mean if you need the cash.. say that if you donate you are more than likely (barring criminal past record) to be a test case to push the county and test the waters so to speak... I'm betting you'd have no problems getting cash in hand!! :D

Gray Peterson
10-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Alright... who messed up the County Sponsorship numbers for COCO County??!! :mad: I see other sponsor pledges and I have no reason to doubt that they did actually make a donation and I KNOW I made mine....

When I made my $100 donation the list said 8 more needed... mine brought it down to 7... please fix the numbers!!

I mean if you need the cash.. say that if you donate you are more than likely (barring criminal past record) to be a test case to push the county and test the waters so to speak... I'm betting you'd have no problems getting cash in hand!! :D

:chillpill:

"To Date" values may not reflect recent sponsorships*

FS00008
10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Where are you guys seeing this list, the list I see shows 0 sponsorships for CoCo total.

BusBoy
10-26-2010, 5:11 AM
:chillpill:

"To Date" values may not reflect recent sponsorships*

Chill? :D Wasnt meant as a rant... But "To Date" numbers arent supposed to go BACKWARDS are they?

BusBoy
10-26-2010, 5:12 AM
Where are you guys seeing this list, the list I see shows 0 sponsorships for CoCo total.

Chill......... ;) :D

wildhawker
10-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Chill? :D Wasnt meant as a rant... But "To Date" numbers arent supposed to go BACKWARDS are they?

Sorry, we were caught "mid-programming". Everything should be current as of about 12am today.

http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/156-sponsorships-to-date

FS00008
10-26-2010, 7:04 PM
Ok, so we need $1200 more in Contra Costa. I'm posting this all over my facebook page and telling everyone I know.

torsf
10-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Make that $1100.

Gray Peterson
10-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Make that $1100.

Sweet. Thank you! Keep at it, folks, and if you know any gun shops that want to sponsor (and reap the inevitable rewards of expanded carry throughout the state), let us know!

ImpliedConsent
11-03-2010, 8:54 AM
Sweet. Thank you! Keep at it, folks, and if you know any gun shops that want to sponsor (and reap the inevitable rewards of expanded carry throughout the state), let us know!

Unfortunately, Contra Costa isn't overflowing with great gun shops... but I for one will take to the streets this weekend, so to speak, and try to pitch it to the ones I'm closest to (City Arms, Diablo Valley Gun Works, and ... Canyon Sports - possibly Triple A's in Vallejo).

If I can spare it, I'll donate another $100 while I'm at it, too. Just need to check the books. :)

Thanks Gray!

-Jon H.

Bad Voodoo
11-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately, Contra Costa isn't overflowing with great gun shops... but I for one will take to the streets this weekend, so to speak, and try to pitch it to the ones I'm closest to (City Arms, Diablo Valley Gun Works, and ... Canyon Sports - possibly Triple A's in Vallejo).

If I can spare it, I'll donate another $100 while I'm at it, too. Just need to check the books. :)

Thanks Gray!

-Jon H.

Any luck, Jon?

Thought Contra Costa could use another bump for a call to action, as well.

Swiss
11-14-2010, 9:39 AM
Money's tight but if I can spare $100, you'll get it.

osokne
11-17-2010, 3:51 PM
He never responded to questions about his stance on CCW.

I coulda swore that I read someplace (before the election) that he did respond and it went something like: "I support issuance of CCW's for those persons who demonstrate "good cause" and meet all other statutory requirements. Basically, I support the law as it currently exists" or somesuch. Of course, I can't recall where I read it, or if that source was reliable/legitimate.

Either way, ambiguous, at best.

Paul235
11-18-2010, 1:51 AM
Been a lurker for a while and after seeing you guys in action at the last GRPC weekend I was truly impressed. Couldn't resist contributing towards CoCoCounty LEO's being converted into believers instead of elitists they've been for a long time. Best 100 bucks I ever spent!

safewaysecurity
11-18-2010, 9:32 PM
Not alot o money on hand atm but made my donation today =)

wildhawker
11-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks for your support! We should be receiving some information on Contra Costa soon...

G-Man WC
11-19-2010, 6:29 AM
Okay...I'm in. Made my PP payment just now. -g

BusBoy
11-19-2010, 7:12 AM
Right on Contra Costa!!! Getting closer to getting our numbers in without our Gun Vendors!

ok gotta work harder on the vendors now!!

G-Man WC
11-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Saturday Bump!

TonyM
11-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I just dropped $100 in and edited my signature. :)

AndrewMendez
11-21-2010, 12:46 PM
I just dropped $100 in and edited my signature. :)

Very nice. The numbers are not automatic, I will update them tonight.

BusBoy
11-21-2010, 10:55 PM
ok that last $50 was bugging me... In for another $100! Shopping cart ID 6S119939CR329811H

Way to go CO CO County! Wish we had that little green line ALL the way through in our County listing... Ive emailed two gun stores, anyone care to email/contact some others??

ImpliedConsent
11-23-2010, 6:09 PM
Any luck, Jon?

Thought Contra Costa could use another bump for a call to action, as well.

Sadly not. I repentantly submit that I was unable to fulfill either commitment, as I had to work all weekend, and the next weekend... and all my free time up till tonight. One of my two coworkers quit while the other was on vacation, leaving me to take care of all the blinking lights for my company during a period in which we launched major new products, and had several things explode. It's been an adventure.

I will attempt to catch up on this over my Thanksgiving vacation (which began today at 5) - wish me luck!

Also, I hear Bullseye in San Rafael is doing a huge sale Friday. If anyone wants to reach out to a large chunk of gunnies who may not know that we're here, that could be a place to try out. I'm about an hour away, on a good day, so I'm afraid to try it on Black Friday.

Jon

safewaysecurity
11-23-2010, 6:12 PM
Also, I hear Bullseye in San Rafael is doing a huge sale Friday. If anyone wants to reach out to a large chunk of gunnies who may not know that we're here, that could be a place to try out. I'm about an hour away, on a good day, so I'm afraid to try it on Black Friday.

Jon

I thought their still getting their FFL all figured out?:confused:

ImpliedConsent
11-23-2010, 9:08 PM
Not to derail, but...:

I thought their still getting their FFL all figured out?:confused:

I sure hope not, since I bought my Glock 26 from there, and my buddy got his Saiga 12 - both a good year or so back. :)

I'm referring to these folks, if there's a mix-up: http://www.bullseyerange.com/

Decent folks, prices go from outrageously good on some things (like aforementioned S-12 when it was on sale) to CA-normal. Accessories are kinda high, but I can't really blame them, since I understand the guns aren't the big money maker at a gun store.

wildhawker
11-23-2010, 9:25 PM
Nothing in the mail from Contra Costa County just yet, but we do have some cities in CoCo coming back with data.

ImpliedConsent
11-23-2010, 9:42 PM
Nothing in the mail from Contra Costa County just yet, but we do have some cities in CoCo coming back with data.

Brilliant! The progress is definitely appreciated!

If it's mentionable - any word from Concord/Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek?

G-Man WC
11-23-2010, 9:49 PM
Keep the donations coming CoCo. How close are we to the target amount needed for action? -g

BusBoy
11-24-2010, 7:45 AM
Keep the donations coming CoCo. How close are we to the target amount needed for action? -g

Im thinking that the amount of donations isn't really reflective of whether or not action is going to be taken.

My take is that they have their plan of "easy picking" departments that are folding as we speak to their illegal ways... Once those are in order it will be harder for the troublesome counties to thumb their noses at the laws. Those that do?? I droll at the thought of the forum and court updates on that!! lol

BusBoy
11-24-2010, 7:47 AM

Being from Concord Id love to see those!

osokne
11-24-2010, 7:55 AM
Looking for updates re gun shops... Which have already been contacted?

BusBoy
11-24-2010, 8:19 AM
I emailed Antioch Armory and was going to drop some flyers over at City Arms.

obeygiant
11-24-2010, 8:40 AM
Looking for updates re gun shops... Which have already been contacted?

I emailed Antioch Armory and was going to drop some flyers over at City Arms.

Thank you!

osokne
11-24-2010, 9:01 AM
That's 2 of the 5 (I think it's 5) gun shops in the county. I'll wait a bit and see if there are others that have been contacted. I'm on good terms with the guys at DVGW and might be able to talk to them, unless someone did already. (If someone did, please post here them PM me, thanks).

Unfortunately, that's all I can really contribute, at this point in time. :mad:

obeygiant
11-24-2010, 9:14 AM
That's 2 of the 5 (I think it's 5) gun shops in the county. I'll wait a bit and see if there are others that have been contacted. I'm on good terms with the guys at DVGW and might be able to talk to them, unless someone did already. (If someone did, please post here them PM me, thanks).

Do not trivialize your efforts as it takes time and effort to deviate from the daily responsibilities of work and family. It is most appreciated, thank you.

safewaysecurity
11-24-2010, 4:02 PM

Those would be nice. Walnut Creek especially =)

chiselchst
11-24-2010, 5:49 PM
Opps, I did it again...I put us over :D (for the record, last one was done on like Nov 20th)

(and don't forget about Martinez!)

BusBoy
11-26-2010, 8:36 PM

I text a friend who hangs out there or works there not sure which... but hhe said hed talk to the owners. I directed him to counties website for more info on vendor sponsorship.

waiting to hear back from him... I'll ping him Saturday again.

osokne
11-26-2010, 9:10 PM
I text a friend who hangs out there or works there not sure which... but hhe said hed talk to the owners. I directed him to counties website for more info on vendor sponsorship.

waiting to hear back from him... I'll ping him Saturday again.

Got a bit crazy down there, today. Didn't get a chance to talk about it. I ended up pitching in and helping out, as there was a bit of an understaff issue, due to illness.

BusBoy
12-08-2010, 9:45 AM
TTT

BusBoy
12-13-2010, 12:55 PM
hmmmm lets see...

Wildhawker Santa... please let there be good cause statements for Christmas!! :D

Kidding... I know COCO County is gonna be a bizatch but just trying to keep our little slice of heaven alive!!

regarding another point... has ANYONE heard from their contacts with COCO Gun VENDORS??!! :confused: I mean sheesh these guys are going to $$$ in when CCW's become Shall issue...

Time to email and txt message people again to join the fight!!

wildhawker
12-13-2010, 1:22 PM
We should be able to post Contra Costa before the end of the coming weekend.

BusBoy
12-13-2010, 2:10 PM
We should be able to post Contra Costa before the end of the coming weekend.

Note to Santa... YOUR FIRED!! lol!! :D

Heck man if I knew Xmas wishes were being granted like that Id have asked for... hmmmm I'll get back to you on that!! hahaha

Brandon you rock! plain and simple! (and anyone else helping in the effort here)

BusBoy
12-21-2010, 9:31 AM
:hide:

wildhawker
12-21-2010, 1:04 PM
We had a few other worthy "projects" shift some of the volunteer time off redaction and onto analysis. Regularly scheduled programming should resume soon.

BusBoy
12-21-2010, 1:48 PM
We had a few other worthy "projects" shift some of the volunteer time off redaction and onto analysis. Regularly scheduled programming should resume soon.
:King:

Paladin
12-21-2010, 6:25 PM

I can't wait until it's Co. Co.'s turn to get sued!Livingston takes office on 3 January 2011 -- less than 2 weeks.

safewaysecurity
12-27-2010, 3:03 AM
Livingston takes office on 3 January 2011 -- less than 2 weeks.

Is he good? Is he anti 2A? I couldn't seem to find any info on him. I was going to wait and call the Sheriff's office when he takes office. Is he at least better than the current Sheriff? I don't think i could possibly get worse.

BusBoy
12-27-2010, 7:55 AM
Well, him being anointed by Rupf... I wont hold my breath. Then again the "Two Weeks" motto seems to fit him well. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But, hopefully it wont matter as our fearless "Team Sunshine" has a waiting army with pen and CCW applications in hand waiting to be unleashed!!

tommyid1
12-31-2010, 9:55 PM

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Kid Stanislaus
01-01-2011, 7:49 AM

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That's very impressive!:rolleyes:

freedomtools
01-05-2011, 8:38 AM
Y'all want help redacting? I'm a pretty good shot with a black marker and have a horrible memory.

BusBoy
01-05-2011, 9:05 AM
Y'all want help redacting? I'm a pretty good shot with a black marker and have a horrible memory.

Ditto. I'll help however is needed... anything to get closer to getting that magical ***ITS TIME TO APPLY*** next to our forum title.

chiz
01-05-2011, 8:51 PM

Seriously, I don't work and have nothing to do all day.

21SF
01-07-2011, 9:55 AM
I live in pleasant hill and I'm thinking of applying. Is PH an Incorporated City?or should i apply directly to the sheriffs office?

freedomtools
01-07-2011, 11:25 AM
You might want to wait and apply at the same time as the rest of us-- when this name of this thread becomes "Contra Cost-- **TIME TO APPLY**". At that time, too, there will be accepted good cause statements available to help us write our own.

Either way though, it's my understanding that you will want to apply to the Sheriff's Office and not the PD. The PD can always kick you over to the Sheriff, wasting your time and possibly money. The Sheriff is at least required to take your application and give you an answer.

vandal
01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Last time (8 years ago?) the answer the sheriff gave me was "You have to apply to the PD first."

safewaysecurity
01-07-2011, 9:52 PM
So anyone give a call to the new Sheriff about CCW policy? Any news since he's been sworn in?

chiz
01-07-2011, 11:19 PM
So anyone give a call to the new Sheriff about CCW policy? Any news since he's been sworn in?

When someone asked he he just gave a generic response like " I support the 2nd ammendment and the rights of citizens to own firearms."

I would like to know more about the guy who replaced him as cheif of police. He is from San Diego and thats all I know about him right now.

If he was open to issuing CCW would it be better to wait and have everyone apply directly to the Sherrif when the time is right?

BusBoy
01-10-2011, 9:35 AM
Right on SnowPlow! Another CC donor! You can still process a CC transaction through PP but I'm guessing you dont use them because of their anti stance?? Its expedient for the legal team and thats why they are using PP from what I've read.

BusBoy
01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
My home town here is getting bad... sheeesh. I live two blocks from this park. Heres to hoping that Contra Costa will be in the cross hairs soon. Good Cause update Wildhawker?

Concord Woman Robbed and Stabbed... (http://claycord.com/2011/01/10/woman-assaulted-stabbed-robbed-at-baldwin-park-in-concord/#comments)

safewaysecurity
01-10-2011, 11:10 AM
My home town here is getting bad... sheeesh. I live two blocks from this park. Heres to hoping that Contra Costa will be in the cross hairs soon. Good Cause update Wildhawker?

Concord Woman Robbed and Stabbed... (http://claycord.com/2011/01/10/woman-assaulted-stabbed-robbed-at-baldwin-park-in-concord/#comments)

There has also been a string of armed robberies in the Walnut Creek area involving many places I visit... it looks like it's been the same people.

Swiss
01-10-2011, 11:10 AM
And for Richmond too?

BusBoy
01-10-2011, 11:16 AM
There has also been a string of armed robberies in the Walnut Creek area involving many places I visit... it looks like it's been the same people.

I agree! These dirtbags are hitting places in the middle of the day and early evening with the place loaded with people sometimes. Its like the neighboring cities here (Concord, P-Hill, Walnut Creek, Clayton) are becoming "crime commutes"

Wish Livingston was a Calgunner... :(

wildhawker
01-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Remain patient as there are some things in progress, but the GC data should be available soon FYI.

Joe
01-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the update

MoeSizslak
01-14-2011, 7:04 AM
Hello all! I just wanted to voice my support for CCW reform, as I too am eagerly awaiting the day that self-defense can be considered good cause. I was thinking about trying to find some $ to help (it's tough right now), but I noticed that the coco co. goal has been met - exceeded in fact. When I'm a bit more able to help, should I go ahead and become a sponsor for this county, or just donate it to the Calguns Foundation itself? Again, many thanks for all your efforts!

BusBoy
01-14-2011, 7:18 AM
Welcome Moe... Im sure in either place the donations will help CGF with our fight. But me being selfish :p I want to see our county flush with funds regardless of goal amount.

I have some flyers that wildhawker emailed to me that I placed at a local store. I also give them to people at the range when I strike up conversation and they've never heard of CGN/CGF.

Can you imagine if even every 50th person donated/sponsored $100 from the range?? NICE!

PM if youd like me to email the file.

Manic Moran
01-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Moving to Danville. Anyone know anything about their PD policy?

On the donations thing, I'm trying to find a link that says exactly what is being donated to.

NTM

gatdammit
01-24-2011, 2:14 AM
^ Same as Manic.... I don't know what exactly is being donated to (CGF? for Contra Costa only?). Times are tough, but this is the time to act. I'm in Richmond and have my checkbook ready. And it may be premature, but if this goes through for us and I move... then what?

Can someone PM me with an physical address? Or paypal account I guess... And how do I get that nifty little icon in my sig? lol

natasha69
01-24-2011, 4:32 PM
Moving to Danville. Anyone know anything about their PD policy?

On the donations thing, I'm trying to find a link that says exactly what is being donated to.

NTM

danville pd is contracted from cc sheriff. so you apply directly to him.

6172crew
01-29-2011, 8:57 PM
Standing by!

TonyM
02-08-2011, 6:41 PM
:gene: :chris:

6172crew
02-09-2011, 8:51 AM
:gene: :chris:

No love for CCC?

vandal
02-09-2011, 9:10 AM
Perhaps the Posse and city chiefs agreements will present a particularly difficult challenge?

6172crew
02-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Is CCC throwing us curve balls? Can you folks let's us in on anything new?

Swiss
02-14-2011, 11:52 AM
I'd sure like to know what's happening...the whole "2 weeks" thing is getting old.

Dooligan
02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Is CCC throwing us curve balls? Can you folks let's us in on anything new?

There was at least one issued recently. :D I saw the letter on Friday (not mine).

BusBoy
02-15-2011, 8:48 AM
edit

stipartout
02-15-2011, 6:24 PM
Hello fellow CoCoCo residents:

Joe, my thoughts are with your family for what you've gone through. No one should have to endure that kind of experience.

I'll share with you my CoCo CCW story to this point, however as my permit is still pending, I prefer to avoid specifics and retain relative anonymity. While this may be overly cautious, I don't want to condemn myself by stepping on any toes, especially since we all know that issuance is completely discretionary.

That being said, I hope my experience can help some of you out. Some of this will sound familiar to a lot of you, but may provide some insights...

Before proceeding I will say that I don't have, what the SD considers, prima facie justification, neither do I own a business and I'm not politically connected, other than voting, that is.

My story:

I called Professional standards and resources. I was asked why I want a permit and where I live. I live in an unincorporated part of the county, so I'm fortunate there, although the person on the phone misunderstood initially and said that I would have to go through my local PD. I reiterated that I live in unincorporated CoCo and my PD is the CoCo SD. After about a 15 minute conversation, the person I spoke with agreed to send me an application.

I took several weeks to prepare and hone my application and good cause statement, collect my three character references. I won't get into details as it related to my GC statement, I will say that I did not put down "personal protection". I took a long time to craft my statement, proofed it several times, used proper grammar, spelling and punctuation and used reasonable and legitimate examples that apply to my specific situation.

I submitted my application and paid my $30 fee. Because of the transition from Sheriff Rupf to Livingston, I was told that my application would not be processed until the new Sheriff settled in and it may take a bit longer than usual. I was very polite, smiled, told this person that I understood and that it was no problem.

I patiently complied, and after about 8 weeks, I received a call for an interview with the Lieutenant. I went to the meeting, it took about 1/2 hour where I was asked some boilerplate questions as well as some questions specific to my GC statement. I was told that my application would be shown to the Sheriff it may take up to a couple weeks and they may ask for some additional details from me.

So I was surprised when I received a call only a couple days later saying that they were moving my application forward (i.e. the Sheriff approved it) and I scheduled a date for my livescan. I again went to Martinez and had my fingerprinting done, they collected my application fee and I scheduled my class and range qualification.

So now I'm waiting for my livescan to come back and after I take the class/pass the qualification, I should be good-to-go. I will come back to update once everything has been finalized.

Overall the process has not been unpleasant. After reading everything I've read and listening to people talk about the probability of getting a CCW in CoCo, I figured I didn't have much of a chance. I'm fortunate that I don't live in an incorporated city, although, neither do I live in a particularly affluent area.

I generally went into this process with a nothing to lose. I was accommodating and respectful when speaking with SD staff, I didn't jump up and down over the few dollars they are overcharging for the fees, although at the same time, I was relieved to find out that I wouldn't need to pay the $300+ until after the Sheriff reviewed my application and gave me the nod.

One more point of note, and although it doesn't apply to me, I did find it interesting. You are only allowed to bring semi-auto pistol with an internal firing block safety or a manual decocking lever/safety and a firing pin safety. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this disqualify many of the 1911's out there?

Cheers.

6172crew
02-16-2011, 9:41 AM
So far, so good STI.

Thanks for the update, it was nice to hear how things are moving along.

Invisible_Dave
02-20-2011, 6:22 PM
They have you qualify out at Marsh Creek?

stipartout
02-20-2011, 6:55 PM
They have you qualify out at Marsh Creek?

I don't know if that was directed at me, but that's where my qualification is, yes.

wildhawker
02-20-2011, 7:10 PM
There is action pending in few other counties that needs to resolve prior to taking on Contra Costa head-on. That said, if people want to take a stab at minor reforms, there are some opportunities we can assist with.

-Brandon

mtsul
02-22-2011, 8:37 PM
Checking in here just moved trying to decide were to settle down in for awhile CoCoCo or almeada!! When are we going to be like solano
Sorry if the names are spelled wrong I'm new to NorCal so I'm slowly learning the names

wildhawker
02-22-2011, 10:26 PM
mtsul, Solano isn't that great, but CoCo and Alameda are *not friendly*.

Psychbiker
02-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Bout to do the Action Pistol in Concord and join the Diablo Gun Club (name correct) and want to obtain or at least attempt to obtain my CCW in CCC, been a resident all my 29 years. (minus 2 for college).

Dont want to step on toes or waste time, what would the best steps be to help obtain my CCW or at least help the cause? Would waiting be better?

Food for thought...

Parents were robbed about a year ago in San Ramon. $30,000 worth of tools were stolen from my father. Guys came two nights in a row, unreal! Also remember reading about a court in Danville were men from Oakland stormed in armed and forced everyone into a room while they robbed the place. Also remember reading a San Ramon resident was kidnapped at work in Oakland and driven to his house in San Ramon where the robbed his house and drained his bank accounts.

BusBoy
03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Bout to do the Action Pistol in Concord and join the Diablo Gun Club (name correct) and want to obtain or at least attempt to obtain my CCW in CCC, been a resident all my 29 years. (minus 2 for college).

See you in class!

BusBoy
03-15-2011, 6:49 AM
:gene:

21SF
03-17-2011, 8:19 AM
+1:gene:

Joe
03-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Every time I see this thread bumped I quickly click it hoping for an awesome update. And every time all I see is a damn yellow guy with a cactus and a tumbleweed blowing by hahahahah

6172crew
03-18-2011, 7:08 AM
Can you guys give us an update on the GCs? Will they be released soon?

BusBoy
03-18-2011, 7:15 AM

Must Resist... Dont Say It... Hold it in there.... AAARRGGGG!!!

:twoweeks:

Paladin
03-19-2011, 6:51 AM
My *guess* is only after the Nordyke opinion is released. How long after that, I won't even hazard a guess at this point.

BusBoy
03-19-2011, 9:22 AM
My *guess* is only after the Nordyke opinion is released. How long after that, I won't even hazard a guess at this point.

Makes no sense to me, IANAL but there are other Counties that had their GC statements posted and then action taken and they became for the most part Shall Issue Counties. I know COCO County will be a bizatch about the whole ordeal to the end but, if other Counties fell then I see no reason, at a minimum, that GC statements cant be posted to all counties regardless of Nordyke.

I totally welcome opinion and comment on this as I may be off my rocker! ;)

6172crew
04-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Like staring at a pot of water about to boil.

wildhawker
04-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Only some counties' GC statements have not been posted for strategic purposes; others are awaiting redaction, or we simply haven't received them (recall CGF v. Ventura). There are a few games of poker to play yet.

-Brandon

stipartout
04-09-2011, 9:57 AM
My approved permit came in the mail along with a letter from Sheriff Livingston. Based on the my class and qual, I believe I am the first non-renewal permit issued by Sheriff Livingston.

sar_man
04-09-2011, 10:10 AM
My approved permit came in the mail along with a letter from Sheriff Livingston. Based on the my class and qual, I believe I am the first non-renewal permit issued by Sheriff Livingston.

Congratulation

BusBoy
04-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Damn that is awesome to hear!! Congrats!

fredieusa
04-20-2011, 9:04 AM

Wow, congrats.

I think they only issued 1 permit for 09 or 10. So, to hear this is great news.

I am sitting on an application for over a few year, maybe it is time I start filling it out.

Mael
04-20-2011, 1:26 PM

Now that your permit has been approved, would you be willing to share some details about your GC statement?

stipartout
04-20-2011, 7:51 PM
Now that your permit has been approved, would you be willing to share some details about your GC statement?

Feel free to PM me. I am extraordinarily busy this time of year, so please don't be offended if it takes some time for me to get back to you.

tgriffin
04-20-2011, 8:15 PM
Pm sent.

BusBoy
05-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Any Updates or News... :gene:

Joe
05-17-2011, 1:29 PM
^^ It'll probably be a few more years till we get some kind of "virtual shall issue"

PandaLuv
05-23-2011, 1:42 PM
They might be releasing some non-violent criminals out. But to be honest, criminals are still criminals to me.
Do you think that CCW would be easier to obtain in CoCo if they do release some convicts?

safewaysecurity
05-24-2011, 2:05 PM

Woah WHAT? How? PM sent

impreza515
06-14-2011, 7:03 AM
Any news on this?

mtsul
06-19-2011, 2:03 PM
Only some counties' GC statements have not been posted for strategic purposes; others are awaiting redaction, or we simply haven't received them (recall CGF v. Ventura). There are a few games of poker to play yet.

-Brandon

any news on how long?

Woodrow Call
07-01-2011, 2:39 PM
Hi,
I'm new to CGF and just read the thread for Contra Costa. Is there any new news about getting a CCW in the county?

6172crew
07-04-2011, 12:35 PM
The Venture case was finished on the 1st but no one knows what the Judge said because of the holidays. Check back tomorrow.

Joe
07-04-2011, 3:41 PM
The Venture case was finished on the 1st but no one knows what the Judge said because of the holidays. Check back tomorrow.

Very interesting. Hoping it goes in our favor.

mtsul
07-04-2011, 3:48 PM

Oh I can't wait!!! I hope it's good news!!!

Woodrow Call
07-07-2011, 9:34 PM
I saw the good news for Ventura, any for Contra Costa?

6172crew
07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Im guessing that when 45 days were up from the Ventua deal they can hit the CCCSD. If CCCSD was smart they would come up with a policy that will work for everyone. No use wasting tax payers money by drgging feet on this.

wildhawker
07-13-2011, 4:19 PM
CoCo GC statements from prev sheriff are already up. Next round of record investigations underway soon.

Woodrow Call
07-13-2011, 6:55 PM
Should we apply for our CCWs now? Also, where can I find the GC statements from the last sheriff if it's time to apply?

freedomtools
07-14-2011, 4:08 PM
CoCo GC statements from prev sheriff are already up. Next round of record investigations underway soon.

They are?! They're not on http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/95-contra-costa , should they be?

21SF
07-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Where are the good cause statements?

wildhawker
07-15-2011, 1:11 PM
Where are the good cause statements?

Looks like an error on the page. However, considering the change in sheriffs I'm probably going to wait to repost until we have the new data.

-Brandon

freedomtools
07-18-2011, 9:50 AM
Possibly of interest to CoCo residents crafting a GC:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_18492515

"People really do need to know," said Jim Bickert, president of the deputy sheriff's association. "At certain times of day, they should be mentally prepared to handle their own business."

safewaysecurity
07-18-2011, 10:37 AM
So would you say Livingston is more CCW friendly that Rupf? Let's say hypothetically I know someone who used to visit the home of the Jaycee Dugard kidnapper on a regular basis because of their job and had to actually spend much time inside their home and their job requires lots of travel to people's homes. Also this individual is also a woman. Do you think this person would be approved for a CCW in CCC in the current environment?

bluenoise
07-20-2011, 2:06 PM
Along the lines Joe has mentioned above, a new study has been released showing that the strained sheriff's department may double response times. I'd think this would help toward establishing good cause, especially for those of us living in unincorporated areas that rely on the sheriff's department as our police.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18508993

21SF
07-25-2011, 8:48 AM
Come one CoCO!!!!!!

sportbiker929
07-26-2011, 9:22 PM
please! That would be awesome. I have been told by several police officer friends of mine, that basically if you are not a criminal, you should be packin'. Not sure if I'm ready for that yet.

BayAreaShooter
07-27-2011, 11:36 AM
This thread actually has me optimistic about CoCo county. I'm hoping to turn in my application soon. :D

21SF
07-27-2011, 1:56 PM
Man even MERCED can have CCW? but not coco....kidding right?

Rscan925
07-27-2011, 4:44 PM
Almost there! Better start saving for my kahr now :)

6172crew
07-31-2011, 2:05 PM
Any idea how long CCC residents will have to wait for the GC statements from the Sheriff?

Darklyte27
08-23-2011, 7:24 PM
still waiting...

Woodrow Call
08-24-2011, 4:14 AM
Looks like Fresno is on the right path http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news%2Flocal&id=8317017

stipartout
08-24-2011, 8:39 AM
Sorry to all those who have sent me PM's. Like I mentioned previously, I have been swamped at work. I have responded to some of you and will try to get through all your PM's soon.

Darklyte27
09-03-2011, 8:52 AM
lets go coco!

vandal
09-04-2011, 9:06 AM
Hopefully this won't be the last domino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vandal
09-16-2011, 3:25 PM
Reading about the LTC love in other counties is driving me nuts!

Window_Seat
09-17-2011, 2:38 PM
Reading about the LTC love in other counties is driving me nuts!

Erik.

6172crew
09-22-2011, 5:46 PM
If you guys need help working through these I can spend 1-3 hours a night crossing out information not needed.

I'd like to help with CCC, but if you need help in other counties I'm available.

Librarian
09-22-2011, 11:47 PM
If you guys need help working through these I can spend 1-3 hours a night crossing out information not needed.

I'd like to help with CCC, but if you need help in other counties I'm available.

+1 -- I have some free time.

BusBoy
09-23-2011, 5:06 AM
+1 -- I have some free time.

Same here... Lots of free time.

jjefrey
10-03-2011, 7:00 PM
I read through the Contra Costa info, and it says I must apply in my city first is this correct?

I live in Pinole, Is there any chance or is it pretty much automatic denial?

sportbiker929
10-03-2011, 7:14 PM
I live in Oakley, is it the same for me?

Librarian
10-03-2011, 7:32 PM
I read through the Contra Costa info, and it says I must apply in my city first is this correct?

I live in Pinole, Is there any chance or is it pretty much automatic denial?

I live in Oakley, is it the same for me?

It's correct that the paperwork (http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/ContraCosta.pdf) says that.

But there are no parts of the Penal Code that require that one must first be denied by one's city of residence, nor are there any that support 'three letters of reference'. The published policy is significantly at variance with state law.

Denials come only after applications. Some people get LTC in CoCoCo - it isn't impossible.

On the other hand, they're not issued commonly, either.

Darklyte27
10-04-2011, 5:06 PM
I recall someone said they got theirs with this new sheriff, but were still patiently waiting

bluenoise
10-04-2011, 5:33 PM
I wonder if living in an unincorporated area of the county affects the odds of securing an LTC. My area is served by the CCC SD, so there is no city police department to first deny my application.

Lugiahua
10-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Do I have any chance in Orinda?
If so, should I got to Orinda PD or to County Chief first?

Gords
10-07-2011, 3:42 PM
I completed the Conta Costa County Sheriff's "State of California Standard Application for CCW license" and received my denial letter dated Oct. 5th, 2011. I sent everything to C. D. Michel Lawyers. My denial letter read like San Diego's denial.

I will wait and see what C. D. Michel says--but it looks like I just wait until it is Contra Costa county's turn for litigation--if ever.

Gordon

21SF
10-10-2011, 2:01 PM
IF EVER IS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

safewaysecurity
10-10-2011, 7:26 PM
So since SB 610 is now law does CGF recommend that we all go out and apply for Carry Licenses in droves?

Gray Peterson
10-10-2011, 7:37 PM
So since SB 610 is now law does CGF recommend that we all go out and apply for Carry Licenses in droves?

It is not law until 1/1/2012

safewaysecurity
10-10-2011, 8:00 PM
It is not law until 1/1/2012

That's what I thought. Saw some people post that the DROS and 610 became law immediately but i don't remember them being past as urgency laws.

Darklyte27
10-11-2011, 3:51 PM
I completed the Conta Costa County Sheriff's "State of California Standard Application for CCW license" and received my denial letter dated Oct. 5th, 2011. I sent everything to C. D. Michel Lawyers. My denial letter read like San Diego's denial.

I will wait and see what C. D. Michel says--but it looks like I just wait until it is Contra Costa county's turn for litigation--if ever.

Gordon

any more info you care to share?

nicoroshi
10-15-2011, 6:50 PM
Waiting patiently until my odds are better in my native County.

Darklyte27
10-16-2011, 7:14 AM
Waiting patiently until my odds are better in my native County.

where you been man? havent seen you at the range in a while.

TubCmdr
10-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Up to 800% increase in contra costa county by the end of 2011 for LTC possible
Year 2010 = 11
Year 2011 possible = 96, (As of Sept. 36 )

safewaysecurity
10-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Up to 800% increase in contra costa county by the end of 2011 for LTC possible
Year 2010 = 11
Year 2011 possible = 96, (As of Sept. 36 )

Interesting. What I want to know is that out of all the applied what percentage got their permit? I'm definitely going to try nd apply in january.

Darklyte27
10-20-2011, 6:08 PM
ya.. like 500 applied, 20 awarded? lol

sniper94509
11-07-2011, 7:35 AM
hello all.... any new info for CCW in CCC...

TubCmdr
11-11-2011, 7:05 AM
JUST CAUSE - - DENIED * * City of CONCORD
I wish to acquire a license to carry a functional fire arm in order to lawfully exercise may fundamental right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense.
As being a partner in a family business I open and close ( 7am - 5pm ) by myself frequently. Some of my duties include every Thursday taking the cash sales and monthly rents that have come in to the business / building owner.
Collecting rents for the apartments above the business and the two rental retail spaces along side of ours. The rents are always paid in cash.
Due to the location of the business I have been asked to escort customers to there cars after making a purchase.
I work in a high crime area ( XXXX Ave. Oakland, 94601 )the business next door was held up at gun point in the past year. One of our employees who lives above the business as been held up multiple times. There has been three killings with in 300 yards of our place of business in the past year.

CITY OF CONCORD POLICE Professional Standards- Office of the Chief of Police
Nov. 8th 2011
Dear Mr. Macxxxx
You and I met on Nov. 3rd to go over DOJ application including you statement for good cause. I forwarded all information to Chief Guy Swanger for review and approval.
I regret it inform you request denied. It has been determined that sufficient cause does not exist. You will not be allowed to continue to Phase 2 of the permit process.
* EDITED FOR SPACE *
Regards Sgt. Robert Zywicks Professional Standards Office of the Chief of Police

G-Man WC
11-11-2011, 8:47 AM
:banghead:
I'll be old and gray before seeing changes in CoCo.
But, we'll see what the new year brings.
-g

BusBoy
11-11-2011, 9:10 AM
:banghead:
I'll be old and gray before seeing changes in CoCo.
But, we'll see what the new year brings.
-g

This looks like he went through the City first... Tub, have you gone through the county? Let us know.

The county has issued LTC permit(s) since the new sheriff has taken office.

safewaysecurity
11-11-2011, 9:13 AM
Apply through the sheriff.

TubCmdr
11-11-2011, 12:01 PM
County requires that you try City Police dept first and show the county the denial letter to apply with the Contra Costa County, I think I'll wait till after the first of the year and see how the open carry ban affects the outcome of applications.

safewaysecurity
11-12-2011, 12:59 AM
County requires that you try City Police dept first and show the county the denial letter to apply with the Contra Costa County, I think I'll wait till after the first of the year and see how the open carry ban affects the outcome of applications.

It doesn't matter. That requirement is illegal and has been discussed many times here. If you go to the sheriff's department and demand an application and hey don't give you one then you could contact Wildhawker and let things play out from there.

Darklyte27
11-13-2011, 5:35 PM
wow sorry to hear, friggen concord.

benos4752
11-18-2011, 7:12 PM
JUST CAUSE - - DENIED * * City of CONCORD
I wish to acquire a license to carry a functional fire arm in order to lawfully exercise may fundamental right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense.
As being a partner in a family business I open and close ( 7am - 5pm ) by myself frequently. Some of my duties include every Thursday taking the cash sales and monthly rents that have come in to the business / building owner.
Collecting rents for the apartments above the business and the two rental retail spaces along side of ours. The rents are always paid in cash.
Due to the location of the business I have been asked to escort customers to there cars after making a purchase.
I work in a high crime area ( XXXX Ave. Oakland, 94601 )the business next door was held up at gun point in the past year. One of our employees who lives above the business as been held up multiple times. There has been three killings with in 300 yards of our place of business in the past year.

CITY OF CONCORD POLICE Professional Standards- Office of the Chief of Police
Nov. 8th 2011
Dear Mr. Macxxxx
You and I met on Nov. 3rd to go over DOJ application including you statement for good cause. I forwarded all information to Chief Guy Swanger for review and approval.
I regret it inform you request denied. It has been determined that sufficient cause does not exist. You will not be allowed to continue to Phase 2 of the permit process.
* EDITED FOR SPACE *
Regards Sgt. Robert Zywicks Professional Standards Office of the Chief of Police

My first post. Been lurking for awhile, decided to register if for no other reason than to say that this is BS. To me, there is no reason that the reasons you listed should have been denied...

I hope there are some major changes in CA soon...I love being close to my family. I have lived in Brentwood for all of my life (25 years in four days) minus the last few months that I've been living in San Francisco for school, still using Brentwood as primary residence though. At least 90% of my family is within 100 miles...but i can't stand this ridiculousness anymore. I'm at the point where, as much as I love being close to my family, once I finish college, I may be packing up and looking for teaching jobs elsewhere in the US...keeping fingers crossed for some good changes in the next couple years.

sniper94509
12-06-2011, 10:03 AM
It seems that Contra Costa county is going to be a big problem to get a CCW. I still have hope though

CCWFacts
12-06-2011, 1:24 PM
i can't stand this ridiculousness anymore. I'm at the point where, as much as I love being close to my family, once I finish college, I may be packing up and looking for teaching jobs elsewhere in the US...

That's the entire reason why they keep passing these laws. They want people like us to leave so the Democratic - SEIU political machine will be totally unopposed and it can finally do to California what they did to Detroit.

We may think of Detroit as a failure, but it's not. It may be a miserable place to live, but it has been solidly Democratic since the 1970s, and that's the only measure of success that counts for the people who control it.

cheetah45
12-11-2011, 8:44 PM
sportbiker929: I live in Oakley, is it the same for me?

Oakley IS the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department. Oakley contracts with CCCSD to provide police services and the officers are really Sheriiff's Deputies in a different uniform. I contacted Oakley PD about a LTC and they told me to call the SD for LTC/CCW applications.

21SF
12-19-2011, 9:33 AM
Where are those dang good cause statements?

tommyid1
01-01-2012, 2:02 PM
Good cause statements?

Darklyte27
01-04-2012, 3:58 PM
Good cause statements?

clarify your question.

sniper94509
01-07-2012, 4:36 PM
Has anyone heard anything new with Contra Costa county CCW.

Librarian
01-07-2012, 7:04 PM
Has anyone heard anything new with Contra Costa county CCW.

Still very difficult.

21SF
01-11-2012, 3:53 PM
Can we get the good cause statements, anytime soon?

G-Man WC
01-11-2012, 5:25 PM
:lurk5: Still holding my breath. -g

Joe
01-11-2012, 5:30 PM
:lurk5: Still holding my breath. -g

Don't pass out.

6172crew
01-11-2012, 8:44 PM
CCC might be the last county, find some way to help your C3 out so your not refreshing this page every 5 minutes.:p

G-Man WC
01-11-2012, 9:04 PM
Don't pass out.

:puke: That was enough

TonyM
01-25-2012, 4:17 PM

Feel like this will be me before we hear good news: :oji:

:confused:

POINTMANDDT
01-25-2012, 5:50 PM
If california became a shall issue state, would coco county have no choice but to issue permits to citizens with good cause?

I'm so frustrated that I lose my right to defend myself and love ones when I leave my house. What kind of bs is this? How many lives could have been saved in California alone, if it had been a shall issue state for the last 5 years?

BusBoy
01-25-2012, 5:59 PM

Feel like this will be me before we hear good news: :oji:

:confused:

At least you have a positive outlook! Fret not, most people feel they'll get their LTC through CoCo around when this happens... :angel:

BusBoy
01-25-2012, 6:02 PM
If california became a shall issue state, would coco county have no choice but to issue permits to citizens with good cause?

I'm so frustrated that I lose my right to defend myself and love ones when I leave my house. What kind of bs is this? How many lives could have been saved in California alone, if it had been a shall issue state for the last 5 years?

If you see some petition shoved in your face about "Shall Issue" legislation PLEASE dont sign without knowing all the facts about it. Theres a lengthy thread in the 2A forums about it.

genoaguns
01-29-2012, 6:34 PM
I have often heard that Posse members get the LTC and it costs many $K to get in the Posse.

Why not do a records request for who has LTC and who is in the Posse and who has contributed to the Sheriff. Then match up and look for bias based upon $ and use that as a basis for action to get LTC.

Is this a viable theory or approach ?

Charles

vandal
01-29-2012, 6:44 PM
Was tried many years ago.

zvardan
01-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Losing hope.

wildhawker
01-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Losing hope.

Changing the law (and culture) of California is not an overnight process. Advocacy in our subject area takes thick skin and patience.

-Brandon

Gray Peterson
01-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Losing hope.

You lose hope, you die inside. It's that simple.

berto
02-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I have often heard that Posse members get the LTC and it costs many $K to get in the Posse.

Why not do a records request for who has LTC and who is in the Posse and who has contributed to the Sheriff. Then match up and look for bias based upon $ and use that as a basis for action to get LTC.

Is this a viable theory or approach ?

Charles

Posse members will tell you their LTCs are unrelated to their Posse membership/donations.

My gut tells me Posse members probably hold LTCs at a far higher rate than non Posse members. How much of the discrepancy is due to self selection and how much is due to other factors is the question though being told you have zero hope of getting an LTC certainly keeps applications down. Coincidence or corruption?

I believe Jim March did work around Rupf's permits some years ago. It's on the internet.

Perhaps the new sheriff is amenable to reason. More likely he'll come along kicking and screaming.

BusBoy
02-07-2012, 6:17 PM
Perhaps the new sheriff is amenable to reason. More likely he'll come along kicking and screaming.

After Mondays little meetup in Danville with the good Sheriff I'd say your 100% correct. Pity, but, in a way satisfying knowing that he's going to be MADE to conform to shall issue in the near future.

Heres to CGF "educating" them in the near future either willingly or financially painfully.

HowardW56
02-18-2012, 1:58 PM
Contra Costa County CCW Policy, Good Cause statements, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/95-contra-costa)

safewaysecurity
02-18-2012, 2:10 PM
FINALLY! A few questions though. How do we find out the dates that these statements were made? Since we have a new sheriff this seems important. Also, how come I see many police officers federal and state/local applying for an LTC when the LEOSA allows them to carry concealed already?

safewaysecurity
02-18-2012, 2:16 PM
I don't see any that could really apply to a lot of people here. Most of them seem to be for reserve deputies. The ones that could apply are working in remote areas and the camping in remote areas and hiking. So you could say that you are an avid hiker and come across wildlife such as mountain lions and bears and you do not feel a knife is sufficient protection. Also you hike in remote places where you do not have cell reception and police are 20+ minutes away and these are places where you are not permitted to carry openly because recreational discharge of a firearm is not permitted.

wildhawker
02-18-2012, 3:38 PM
We'll have a new round of documents published within the next month.

BusBoy
02-18-2012, 4:18 PM
We'll have a new round of documents published within the next month.

Good to hear that more are coming... in the mean time I'm breaking out my old scouting uniform, bug netting, red legged frog identification guide and then getting to work on a 5 page CG statement as I speak! :p

Darklyte27
02-18-2012, 4:35 PM
This got me thinking, I use to work for the County, and worked in the jails as well. Im not LEO but im wondering if I could possibly have a remote chance of getting issued a ccl.

safewaysecurity
02-18-2012, 4:50 PM
Good to hear that more are coming... in the mean time I'm breaking out my old scouting uniform, bug netting, red legged frog identification guide and then getting to work on a 5 page CG statement as I speak! :p

lol I think I need to start brushing up on the names and geographical features of hiking trails in California.

G-Man WC
02-18-2012, 7:50 PM
:yawn: Still waiting to see what goes down in CoCo. A lawsuit would be sweet! -g

Lugiahua
02-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Hmm, I am an active hiker and live in an area known with mountain lion attacks.
But how do I prove this to my local PD or Sheriff?

safewaysecurity
02-20-2012, 11:39 AM

Write a very long and detailed GC statements citing specific incidents of mountain lion attacks as well as human assaults and robberies. Talk about specific trails you like to travel. And be prepared to know what you are talking about during the interview. That's just my guess/advice but I'm no expert.

sniper94509
02-24-2012, 1:40 PM
I can't wait to see on here TIME TO APPLY!!!!

Manic Moran
03-01-2012, 12:34 PM
OK, an interesting read. Not quite sure what the 'so what' of this is, though. We continue to wait until the title says 'time to apply', correct? Or do we just chance our arm and try anyway?

Lugiahua
03-18-2012, 12:40 PM
I was reading the GC statement, quite surprise that even CEOs have reserve deputy...
doesn't reserve deputy requires POST?

how come even CEO or computer manager have time to do POST? Isn't it take six months and requires excellent physical condition?

Maybe I should switch major so I can apply for protection from wildlife as well :mad:

HowardW56
03-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I was reading the GC statement, quite surprise that even CEOs have reserve deputy...
doesn't reserve deputy requires POST?

how come even CEO or computer manager have time to do POST? Isn't it take six months and requires excellent physical condition?

Maybe I should switch major so I can apply for protection from wildlife as well :mad:

There are Level I, II, and III reserve deputies... The CEO could be a Level III deputy, very limited authority, limited training...

Level III Reserve Deputies are deployed and assigned only to carry out limited duties not requiring general law enforcement powers. Duties may include, traffic enforcement, prisoner transport, crime prevention duties and other duties at the direction of the Sheriff.

Level II Reserve Deputies have full peace officer powers while on duty. Level II Reserves work in a general law enforcement capacity under direct supervision of a law enforcement officer.

Level I Reserve is the highest level of Reserve Deputy carrying the most responsibility and training requirements. Level I Reserve Deputies have the same law enforcement powers and authority as regular full-time deputies while on duty.

Lugiahua
03-18-2012, 1:41 PM
I guess it's a stupid question, is there a chance for common people like us to pass lv.III and apply as reserve deputy?

:hide:

vandal
03-26-2012, 8:54 AM
Just a FYI but a friend graduated POST and then could not get "hired" on as a reserve in the Bay Area because he had too many guns (told that off the record). Wasted a lot of time and money!

greasemonkey
03-26-2012, 6:14 PM
Document getting attacked by a mountain lion, survive it without killing the mountain lion (negotiate with the lion, just give him/her what is asked of you, do not put up a fight). Take this documentation (photos + 3 eyewitnesses) in to the Sheriff. You may have to substantiate that the mountain lion or someone in his/her community has threatened to attack you in the future.
(satire)

Lugiahua
04-13-2012, 2:08 PM
I wonder if this county weight training levels? would it help my chance by taking advance handgun courses from some major firearm schools?

berto
04-13-2012, 3:18 PM
I wonder if this county weight training levels? would it help my chance by taking advance handgun courses from some major firearm schools?

It would help if you donated $10k to the sheriff's favorite charity or put yourself through the academy and got hired as a reserve deputy.

Lugiahua
04-13-2012, 4:17 PM
Talk about reserve deputy, where can I find available classes for lvIII?
The POST website only showed me the requirement, but not where to take them

Invisible_Dave
04-20-2012, 5:45 PM
http://www.cocoacademy.org/

Lugiahua
04-20-2012, 10:35 PM
well, I asked on the LEO section.
It's probably not going to work for me, since it takes almost a year to process the application. I might just move out CA by then.

vandal
06-10-2012, 9:33 PM
Any movement in Co Co County?

21SF
06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
bump

SnowStorm
06-27-2012, 8:37 PM
+1 :)

redhead
07-11-2012, 7:06 AM

Apparently not. :(

Lugiahua
07-16-2012, 8:49 PM
I am moving to Moraga next month, I heard that they are more conservative than rest of the county.
is there anyone familiar with Moraga PD? How likely they would issue to common ppl?

TonyM
07-24-2012, 6:28 AM

Manic Moran
07-24-2012, 4:45 PM
Waiting (im)patiently for instructions...

CA10RoundLimited
07-31-2012, 6:55 AM
Add one to the waiting-and-watching list. :sleeping:

Hallucinosis
07-31-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm with you all too.

Montu
07-31-2012, 11:02 AM

yep

vandal
09-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Now that Rupf is Gone can progress be made?

TonyM
09-03-2012, 11:16 AM

Sadly, I think the answer, at least for now is this: :rofl2:

osokne
09-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Scuttlebutt I've heard, is that Livingston's attitude is much like Rupf's was. My sources are better than average, but not "inside info" by any means. YMMV.

BUT there was a CCW topic recently, on the Claycord blog site. One of the commenters posted that they had applied & received one, wasn't a hassle and if you didn't get one there must be a legit reason. Claimed he didn't have an inside connection. He also didn't specify which city and/or county he applied in and didn't respond to questions for further details.

I know there are fellow Calgunners that read/post on Claycord and I'm sure they're just as inclined to disbelieve this guy, as I am.

G-Man WC
09-03-2012, 12:01 PM
:kest: Still waiting for good news. Do we need to keep throwing $ at this problem
or will time be the avenger? -g

Lugiahua
09-13-2012, 6:53 PM
I am currently writing my good cause essay.

Do you guys think that I should include my training experiences in the essay?
Or is it bad by making me looked like a gun nut?

Should I include my previous training credentials when turning in the packages?

sniper94509
09-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Any new info with Contra Costa.

Librarian
09-27-2012, 4:55 PM
No changes.

sekatoa
10-03-2012, 5:49 PM
No changes.

So, is there anything we can do to help promote changes?

Darklyte27
10-11-2012, 6:34 PM
Anyone about to apply to see what kind of results we/you get?