PDA

View Full Version : Calaveras

obeygiant
10-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Calaveras County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/93-calaveras)

LodiPersonalDefense
11-22-2010, 12:02 AM
I was recently denied by the Sheriff of Calaveras County due to traffic tickets. Who can I talk to about this?

Thanks.

dantodd
11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
I was recently denied by the Sheriff of Calaveras County due to traffic tickets. Who can I talk to about this?

Thanks.

Welcome to CalGuns. Please stick around, even if you aren't interested in being involved in the legal discussions here in 2A be sure to check out the rest of the board, I'm sure you'll find a place where you can both learn and contribute.

Sign up in the volunteer thread and note your denial and the reason. Most likely questionable good moral character denials will be a little lower on the priority list because it SHOULD get cleared up by the Richards case (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php?title=Richards_v._Prieto). If there is a decision to move forward with traffic-related denials before that CGF will mine the volunteer list for people to work with.

Be sure to volunteer (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=353115)!

Freedom isn't Free, please take the time to donate and sponsor Calaveras (http://www.cgfstore.org/product/carry-license-reform-sunshine-initiative-credited-county-sponsorship) county CCW reform.

Librarian
04-22-2011, 12:53 PM
It is part of the listed policy that the make and model of the gun(s) on the license be on the 'Safe Gun list'.

Since there's no PC requiring that, will that part of the policy be addressed soon-ish?

OSS
11-29-2011, 8:11 PM
Haven't been on in a while, but I was approved last month as well as my Father.
Near effortless process. The Sheriff wanted personal protection on the good cause statement. My dad nor I had an interview. I went to what I thought was an interview appointment, but ended up being my livescan and firearm check apt. A month later due to application processing backup, I received my permit.
My second handgun was not on the safe list it was just checked to see if it was stolen and verified it was in ok working order by the Sheriff. Both firearms are on my permit. Keltec PF-9 if you were wondering and a H&K Usp Compact.

darkwater
01-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Haven't been on in a while, but I was approved last month as well as my Father.
Near effortless process. The Sheriff wanted personal protection on the good cause statement. My dad nor I had an interview. I went to what I thought was an interview appointment, but ended up being my livescan and firearm check apt. A month later due to application processing backup, I received my permit.
My second handgun was not on the safe list it was just checked to see if it was stolen and verified it was in ok working order by the Sheriff. Both firearms are on my permit. Keltec PF-9 if you were wondering and a H&K Usp Compact.

Did the new sheriff reverse the policy requiring all permit guns to be on the Safe Handgun Roster? That would be great if he did! I will try to verify this, as that would open up a whole laundry list of guns I can add to my CCW.

I see your location is Lodi, which is not Calaveras County, so are you referring to Calaveras or San Joaquin County?

darkwater
01-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Hmm...unlike the procedures posted at the top of this thread, there is no mention of the CA Safe Handgun Roster on the CCW procedures currently posted on the Calaveras website: http://www.co.calaveras.ca.us/publish/sheriff/CCW_Application_Procedure2011.pdf

I will contact the Sheriff's Dept this week to verify what their current policy is on the handgun requirements, if any. This could be a change for the better!

darkwater
01-10-2012, 9:02 PM
Here's a snippet of the email response I received, which is definitely an improvement over the prior policy:

"The CA Safe Handgun Roster remains in use. However, it is not a requirement under Sheriff Kuntz. Should a firearm not on the safe roster be requested, Sheriff Kuntz must inspect the firearm himself before he will allow it to be place on a CCW permit. We have made the exception of grandfathering firearms already existing on permits that may have dropped off of the roster."

GREASY357
08-03-2012, 6:10 PM
I want to get my CCW license in Calaveras county and am unsure of what to do. Do I have to go to the sheriff first? or do I print out the docs provided here fill them out and just drop them off to the sheriff? i really dont know where to start.

darkwater
08-03-2012, 6:41 PM
I want to get my CCW license in Calaveras county and am unsure of what to do. Do I have to go to the sheriff first? or do I print out the docs provided here fill them out and just drop them off to the sheriff? i really dont know where to start.

You can walk in to the Sheriff's Admin Office during normal business hours to pickup, fill out and turn in your initial application. They will call you to make an appointment when you are approved to do your livescan and check your guns. If you happen to live in Angels Camp, the only incorporated city in the county, you can apply with the Angels PD during normal business hours. I think the City's fees are a bit more than the County's fees, but the City allows 3 guns on your permit vs. 2 guns on a County permit.

Sheepdog1968
08-03-2012, 11:42 PM
How many firearms can you have on the permit? Do they require or put the guns serial number on the permit as well?

darkwater
08-04-2012, 12:06 AM
How many firearms can you have on the permit? Do they require or put the guns serial number on the permit as well?

2 max firearms for the County, 3 if you live in Angels Camp and get the permit thru the Angels PD. And yes, the serial #s, make and model go on the permit.

packnrat
02-14-2013, 7:44 PM
sad all of the links i tried are dead.
looking to do this. but need valued and current input please.

also due to the ONLY legal shooting range shut down "due to bad rd" is there a "approved" spot?? in the county??????

:oji:

darkwater
02-14-2013, 8:10 PM
sad all of the links i tried are dead.
looking to do this. but need valued and current input please.

also due to the ONLY legal shooting range shut down "due to bad rd" is there a "approved" spot?? in the county??????

:oji:

Looks like the Sheriff's Office has reworked their website. Here's a current link to the CCW part: http://sheriff.calaverasgov.us/SheriffsOffice/RecordsCivil/CCW.aspx

What shooting range are you referring to, Candy Rock perhaps? There's still a lot of USFS land in the county, but they are trying to keep Candy Rock traffic to a minimum due to it being so close to a residential neighborhood.

From what I've heard, it apparently is not legal for a fixed location improved shooting range to exist in a USFS forest (or maybe because permits were never obtained), but you can run around the woods and target shoot as long as you're not within 150 yards of a structure, recreational area, campsite, or other occupied area, and not shooting across roads or bodies of water. Seems safer to have a fixed location that everyone knows where the shooting is normally done.

Anyway, for Candy Rock, the last I heard was that they were experimenting with limiting hours and perhaps the types of guns that could be used there, but I am not aware if any final closure date had been set at this point.

You can also join the Angels Gun Club in Angels Camp or even the Motherlode Gun Club in Jamestown.

TBS-POPS
11-13-2013, 5:14 PM
FYI, I was in the SO today adding my new 9 to my CCW and Calaveras SO now allows 3 firearms on your CCW. Calaveras is also Spouse friendly as you and your spouse can share firearms on your CCW's. I now have two of my guns and one of hers on my CCW and she will have hers and both of mine on hers.Also, you dont have to "range qualify" an added weapon to add it. just has to be reg to you or your spouse.They do have to physically check the gun so you have to take it in.

Karen said the letters are in the process of being mailed out now to all CCW holders in the county as to the increase in weapons allowed on your CCW from 2 to 3.

darkwater
11-13-2013, 6:14 PM
That's good news! I have 7 months left on my permit, so I'll be taking my class in the spring and then renewing. My wife has a PM9 that I'd probably want to add to my permit.

jimsu
11-13-2013, 6:18 PM
Thanks for the information.

"Also, you dont have to "range qualify" an added weapon to add it. just has to be reg to you or your spouse.They do have to physically check the gun so you have to take it in."

This seems odd but good to know. I am assuming that you have to range qualify with all three at renewal time though.

darkwater
11-13-2013, 6:57 PM
No, I don't think you need to qualify specifically with any of the weapons on your permit. You just need to take the class and get the certificate, which does not have any firearm info on it, at least I don't believe the ones from WTS did.

TBS-POPS
11-13-2013, 7:02 PM
Thanks for the information.

This seems odd but good to know. I am assuming that you have to range qualify with all three at renewal time though.

I would't think so. you could save the hassle and just qual with one then add the other two after permit is renewed. I would ask beforehand. saves the hassle and expense at requal time.

Pablo5959
11-13-2013, 7:10 PM
This tread ~ucks. I'm green with envy.
Do you guys need to flaunt all this bla bla bla stuff.

TBS-POPS
11-13-2013, 7:11 PM
No, I don't think you need to qualify specifically with any of the weapons on your permit. You just need to take the class and get the certificate, which does not have any firearm info on it, at least I don't believe the ones from WTS did.

We took initial class in Ione and there were requal people in there too. they only stayed in the classroom part for the first hour then went into the range and shot then were gone. we went through all the "book stuff" then shot after lunch.

XxWoodsHunterxX
11-19-2013, 1:09 PM
We took initial class in Ione and there were requal people in there too. they only stayed in the classroom part for the first hour then went into the range and shot then were gone. we went through all the "book stuff" then shot after lunch.

Correct just take class with A gun no specifics. Some qual with .22 pistols but I advise to qual with the weapon you plan to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

nevets
11-21-2013, 7:22 PM
Sorry if I missed this somewhere else, but does anyone know about the residency requirements (length of time) that Calaveras county requires? On their website, all it says is that you must be a "permanent full-time residents" but doesn't state how long you have to have lived there. Anyone have any idea?

jaed
11-22-2013, 8:21 AM
Sorry if I missed this somewhere else, but does anyone know about the residency requirements (length of time) that Calaveras county requires? On their website, all it says is that you must be a "permanent full-time residents" but doesn't state how long you have to have lived there. Anyone have any idea?

I was also wondering the same thing.

jimsu
11-22-2013, 8:44 AM
I was a resident for 12 days when I applied and had no issues.

XxWoodsHunterxX
11-22-2013, 8:46 AM
I think it's on a person to person basis. (Character ) but they are pretty easy to work with

nevets
11-22-2013, 1:20 PM
I was a resident for 12 days when I applied and had no issues.

Geez, I thought it would be ATLEAST six months. Does anyone else have a similar experience or know any definitive answer?

I suppose I could just call them and ask...

XxWoodsHunterxX
11-26-2013, 7:02 AM
Call and talk to Karen she is nice and helpful

torres94063
02-20-2014, 2:08 AM
We have about 200 acres of land, livestock and a mobile home on Hunt rd.
Will I be able to obtain a CCW from the SO for self-protection?
What can i use as a proof or residency if we don't have any utility bills?
Also I own a Glock 22 Gen4 with 10 rd mag bought as SSE, would the Sheriff approve or i need to take one that is the "Safe List"?

Thanks

XxWoodsHunterxX
02-20-2014, 6:38 AM
Probably boy going to get it only because it's not your residence. As far as gun goes. It's a name brand manufacture that's not a problem.

darkwater
02-20-2014, 12:20 PM
For other documentation, do you have a county property tax bill with a homeowner's exemption, or a homeowner's insurance policy?

Not sure if the current sheriff has allowed the mere use of the phrase "self-protection". Mine essentially was, but I dressed it up with talking about the presence of wild animals (we have bears and mountain lions around) living in a rural setting when I'm outside exercising or recreating on my property, traveling across lonely stretches of road throughout the state on vacation with the family, sometimes at night, the 26-minute average response time for a deputy, etc.

If the gun you want to list on your permit is not on the Safe Handgun Roster, the SO will want to do a safety inspection on it to be approved for your permit. However, being a Glock, it shouldn't be a problem.

XxWoodsHunterxX
02-21-2014, 7:25 AM
Yea I used " To protect myself and my family" for reason. Gary is pretty laid back and gun friendly unlike many SO in different counties

TBS-POPS
02-28-2014, 2:05 PM
I added and now carry an "off roster" gun to my CCW. I dont think they care as long as the gun is registered to you.

darkwater
02-28-2014, 2:13 PM
They probably don't care, but their official stance is that they want to inspect it first. I'm sure they don't want to see something held together by duct tape.

RobK
05-07-2015, 3:15 PM
This is kinda off the main subject;
I have a neighbor who has her pot card and her ccw.
Seems kinda sketchy to me if she does both at the same time.
I'm curious if anyone has any idea what Gary's position is on something like that ?
I guess she's protected by the HIPPA laws for privacy ..

briankk
06-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Currently, the Sheriff had died, been replaced by his Captain, who still requires personal inspection of three guns you intend to carry, doesn't seem to worry whether they are on the list or not, but has produced a new requirement. CCW applicants must now produce three letters of recommendation from people who are unrelated and not employers.

I got a whiff that this is clogging the works, paper accepted now won't get licensed before September..

FWIW, that is the same wait time as for new Galco holsters. How convenient.

XxWoodsHunterxX
06-13-2016, 6:18 AM
Currently, the Sheriff had died, been replaced by his Captain, who still requires personal inspection of three guns you intend to carry, doesn't seem to worry whether they are on the list or not, but has produced a new requirement. CCW applicants must now produce three letters of recommendation from people who are unrelated and not employers.

I got a whiff that this is clogging the works, paper accepted now won't get licensed before September..

Weird no mention of that when I called for app requirements for my wife

darkwater
06-13-2016, 9:01 AM
I had heard that too from my CCW instructor, about the 3 recommendation letters, but I was renewing, so it didn't apply to me.

Also, just to clarify, Rick DiBasilio was previously a Sergeant, not one of the two Captains currently in the department.

XxWoodsHunterxX
06-13-2016, 5:53 PM
I'll find out Wednesday I have an appt for updating my ccw with my renewal

XxWoodsHunterxX
06-17-2016, 8:37 PM

Welp it is true. New applicants now have to produce three character reference letters as part of there application. Was told it was inacted by the temp sheriff after Gary past.

darkwater
06-20-2016, 8:57 AM
That sucks, but due to the influx of both legal and illegal marijuana growers in the area, he probably wants to see if anyone decent will vouch for a new applicant, and it weeds (pun intended) out those that aren't as determined to get a permit.

XxWoodsHunterxX
06-20-2016, 12:33 PM
That sucks, but due to the influx of both legal and illegal marijuana growers in the area, he probably wants to see if anyone decent will vouch for a new applicant, and it weeds (pun intended) out those that aren't as determined to get a permit.

I could see that as a valid reason for it. I'm glad I don't need to worry about it as a renewal but like I told my wife you have plenty of co workers that you see in a daily basis, so between that and friends it's not a big deal.

This We'll Defend
08-31-2016, 6:40 PM
I live in Angels so I was wondering if anyone know the requirements they have set to get a CCW from from them.

Thanks in Advance :)

darkwater
08-31-2016, 8:34 PM
ACPD Chief Todd Fordahl requires new applicants to provide 3 letters of recommendation, 3 guns can be listed on license with make/model/serial#/caliber, new applicants have $75 fee to the City and approximately $100 for DOJ fingerprinting fee, renewals are $25 to City and $52 for DOJ.

Contact Ms. Teresa Pry at 736-2567, 200 Monte Verda St, Angels Camp
No appointment necessary, but Tuesdays are preferred

This We'll Defend
08-31-2016, 9:30 PM
ACPD Chief Todd Fordahl requires new applicants to provide 3 letters of recommendation, 3 guns can be listed on license with make/model/serial#/caliber, new applicants have $75 fee to the City and approximately $100 for DOJ fingerprinting fee, renewals are $25 to City and $52 for DOJ.

Contact Ms. Teresa Pry at 736-2567, 200 Monte Verda St, Angels Camp
No appointment necessary, but Tuesdays are preferred

What about age requirements, how long you've been a resident and such?

darkwater
08-31-2016, 9:49 PM
What about age requirements, how long you've been a resident and such?

Good question...the CCW info I have on the City from the course I took at WTS does not mention age, but it is probably 21, similar to the County's requirement, and actually isn't that pretty much true statewide? As for residency, it does not mention that, either. The County Sheriff's application requires proof of residency, but does not mention a time frame, so likely long enough that you can prove it. Also, there is no mention of the CCW class hours required, but if similar to the County, would just be a one-day course. Best to talk to Teresa to verify everything you'll need...good luck!

This We'll Defend
08-31-2016, 10:11 PM
Good question...the CCW info I have on the City from the course I took at WTS does not mention age, but it is probably 21, similar to the County's requirement, and actually isn't that pretty much true statewide? As for residency, it does not mention that, either. The County Sheriff's application requires proof of residency, but does not mention a time frame, so likely long enough that you can prove it. Also, there is no mention of the CCW class hours required, but if similar to the County, would just be a one-day course. Best to talk to Teresa to verify everything you'll need...good luck!

As far as I know from reading CA PC's there is no age limit a person needs to be to get a CCW (but most likely need to be 18). I was just wondering cause I own a pistol, I'm just not 21 yet but I would like to get my CCW ASAP.
Thank you!:)

darkwater
09-03-2016, 9:57 AM
Whatever you do find out from AC PD, please post it here so that it might help someone else in the near future. Thanks!

packnrat
09-22-2016, 11:18 AM
one more tick done, life scan today, and gun "check".
now wait on the background check.
county wants three letters from non family. ( within 30 days).
was told should get permit jan - feb 2017. background check delay thing.
and of course more money.

darkwater
09-22-2016, 11:43 AM
one more tick done, life scan today, and gun "check".
now wait on the background check.
county wants three letters from non family. ( within 30 days).
was told should get permit jan - feb 2017. background check delay thing.
and of course more money.

Wow, things are definitely moving slower for initial applicants than they used to, but renewals only take 2-3 weeks from submitting the application. Are you fairly new to the county, or long-time resident just now applying?

packnrat
09-22-2016, 3:48 PM
been living here for better than a decade. just this year got my butt in gear and doing it.
i took a loong time in getting to the class so delay there was on me.
the sheriffs office has been good on the time frame.
Karen said one gentleman got the ok in 30 days. but not to expect less than 3-4 months for the feds to do there thing.
otherwise all is done and permit is "ready" for me.
just to fill in a couple "blanks" three letters, and proof from the tax board.

i forget the "first" day i turned in the paperwork to start this. but has been less than 4 months, if i remember correctly.

not in a hurry, no need to "rush it".
waiting on arazona and nevada. both started after ca. expect to see both of them before i see the Ca permit. :oji:

as for the angles camp police? i do not know there. need somebody living in the city limits to post up. as they are the only "city" in this county.

everything else goes through the sheriffs office, in san andreas.
no line out the door, but they do a number of them each month. as for getting a "county" issued permit, it is almost a shall issue.
mostly a paperwork delay, and fed holdup.

packnrat
10-14-2016, 6:43 PM
well today i handed over my three voucher letters, and tax papers (proof i live in the county).
all the "i" and "t" are done now the wait, was told Jan- February.

easy doing just took a bit longer, one of my voucher letter writers took a long time to do a paragraph.

when i go to get my permit have one more tax to pay, just so i can do what "shall not be infringed".

i see no reason to not go to a school just to learn good gun handling and the law, but should not have to do any of the "other" stuff just to carry protection.

image if one had to prove the need for health care, auto insurance, home insurance, etc, etc.

and my Arizona permit has arrived.

packnrat
10-14-2016, 6:53 PM
Whatever you do find out from AC PD, please post it here so that it might help someone else in the near future. Thanks!

easy deal really.

turn in form,
write in reason, couple paragraphs is all you need. nothing fancy just a valid reason for you to carry a concealed gun on your person.
(health, safety, family).
pay a tax,

go to a "approved school" MUST qualify with each gun on your permit.
(pay there fee).

take guns to be used (three allowed). MUST be unloaded and in locked containers. (proof you have the guns to be listed on your permit).

get three letters from friends, NOT family.
(proof you are not so crazy).

a paper from the county tax office.
(proof you live in the county)

wait.
(will advise)

darkwater
10-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Let's hope the wait for your license to exercise your right is short! Yeah, that just sounds so oxymoronic...

XxWoodsHunterxX
10-16-2016, 9:17 PM
It's running 120 days right now. Wife's time is almost up.

baggss
10-17-2016, 8:24 AM
well today i handed over my three voucher letters, and tax papers (proof i live in the county).

What kind of good cause statement do they require? Is Self Defense good enough or do they want more?

XxWoodsHunterxX
10-22-2016, 7:29 AM
I used to protect my self and my family word for word. Been using it for about 6 years now

packnrat
11-17-2016, 11:10 AM
well today i recived my nevada permit. Arizona came in a bit back.
had a i dot t cross problem there and still got that one first.
started the ca permit first and still waiting on it.
started Arizona last and recived it first.

might go up to K falls next week and start my oregon paperwork?
see if it arrives before my ca does?

XxWoodsHunterxX
11-20-2016, 7:13 AM
well today i recived my nevada permit. Arizona came in a bit back.

had a i dot t cross problem there and still got that one first.

started the ca permit first and still waiting on it.

started Arizona last and recived it first.

might go up to K falls next week and start my oregon paperwork?

see if it arrives before my ca does?

Where'd you go for the NV permit

Calidiver
11-21-2016, 2:40 PM
Is there an advantage to going through NV class/process when NV has reciprocity with AZ and you have AZ?