PDA

View Full Version : Butte

obeygiant
10-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Butte County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/92-butte)

yakmon
10-18-2010, 4:13 PM
is this where the known good "good cause" statements go?

wildhawker
10-18-2010, 6:48 PM
Please email scanned copies to ccw@calgunsfdn.org

obeygiant
10-18-2010, 6:48 PM
is this where the known good "good cause" statements go?

If you want to contribute any known good cause statements you can do either of the following:

Email scanned copies to:
ccw@calgunsfdn.org

Fax to:
866-733-6031

Any good cause statements that are received will be redacted before being posted online.

BluNorthern
10-20-2010, 7:39 AM
Does anyone know the length of time required in California (all time spent living in Butte county) to meet the requirement in regards to residency to be good to go for applying for a CCW? Moved back here in April. Haven't been able to find anything specific online. Thanks.

obeygiant
10-20-2010, 8:11 PM
Does anyone know the length of time required in California (all time spent living in Butte county) to meet the requirement in regards to residency to be good to go for applying for a CCW? Moved back here in April. Haven't been able to find anything specific online. Thanks.

CA PC 12050CAL. PEN. CODE 12050 (http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/4/2/1/3/s12050)
(D)For the purpose of subparagraph (A), the applicant shall satisfy any one of the following:

(i)Is a resident of the county or a city within the county.

(ii)Spends a substantial period of time in the applicant's principal place of employment or business in the county or a city within the county.

From the Butte CCW Policy:
4. Proof of Residency

Bring a copy of your rental agreement, tax bill, utility bill, or other forms showing that your main residence is in the County of Butte.

As you can see above, PC12050 does not stipulate the amount of time one must reside in the county, only that you must be a resident or spend a substantial amount of time there as your principal place of employment. Butte is one of the few counties that does not list an amount of time that one has to reside in the county before applying.

BluNorthern
10-20-2010, 9:37 PM
I thought I'd missed something in researching it. Thanks for the clarification, Obeygiant.

blakdawg
05-07-2011, 6:33 PM
The instructions for the Butte County CCW application say that the applicant must put 26 of 30 rounds fired into the target at 21 feet in full and dim lighting.

Does anyone know (even approximately) which target is used for qualification? My wife is concerned about qualifying with her new LCR and it seems like some range practice might help to build confidence.

meaty-btz
06-15-2011, 2:26 PM
Anyone have the list of Butte "good cause statements". It has been on my mind to apply but money is precious and I am not going to spend it for a denial.

I am exposed daily to known gang members and interact with them. They know who I am and what I drive. Also I am tertiary involved in a situation with a mentally unstable and threatening person.

blakdawg
06-16-2011, 12:36 AM
My understanding is that "self-defense" is good cause in Butte County and that they are effectively shall-issue. Perhaps others can expand/clarify, I haven't been through the process myself (yet).

Hozr
06-16-2011, 3:21 PM
Ive never met anyone in Butte Co that's been denied. It's a shall issue county.

meaty-btz
06-16-2011, 5:05 PM
Should I just put "self-defense" or do I need a more detailed explanation?
Thanks.

blakdawg
06-16-2011, 5:14 PM
I'm in the process of relocating my residence to Butte County so have been looking into this question. The most helpful resource I've found so far has been the Chico Rod & Gun Club, who appear to offer CCW class/qualification sessions twice monthly. They have a 7 minute YouTube video discussion of the process:

TM8InC0VCEo

I get the impression the thing to do is to go to your class/qualification first, THEN go down to the sheriff's office with the target/class certificate. They don't bother with an interview.

Paradise Rod & Gun Club also does CCW classes/qualifications but their website only mentions that they're held sometimes on Sundays. http://www.theprgclub.org

To answer the question I asked a few messages up in the thread, I understand that the qualification target is approximately the size of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper - it's the center ring(s) of a B-29 NRA target, so it'll be a little more oval than the rectangular paper.

Hozr
06-22-2011, 3:11 PM
So it sounds like "Self Defense" is no longer acceptable in and of itself. An acquaintance turned in is app with "Self Defense" and was contacted to provide further details. I'll update as I find out.

meaty-btz
06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
If self-defense is no longer valid do we need a CGF action regarding this? I await more information.

blakdawg
07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
So it sounds like "Self Defense" is no longer acceptable in and of itself. An acquaintance turned in is app with "Self Defense" and was contacted to provide further details. I'll update as I find out.

Any updates/news on this situation?

Hozr
07-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Spoke to the individual that was "denied". Apparently all he wrote was "self defense" and nothing more. The SO called and requested he include more info for which he stated "past threats violent/non violent family" (or some such) and it was processed.

blakdawg
07-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the update - sounds like all is still well in Butte County.

meaty-btz
07-12-2011, 3:35 PM
ok so Self Defense is enough but it is clearly better to have a bit more information to give.

Sounds like its save up for CCW time for me.

94bigtow
07-20-2011, 8:16 PM
I got my ccw in Butte county in about 1 month ps try flying brass for your qual. certificate they are very good and reasonable

WRG
08-13-2011, 7:04 PM
I got my ccw in Butte county in about 1 month ps try flying brass for your qual. certificate they are very good and reasonable

I second this for Flying Brass. Way more personal defense training than the others offer.

jwollam
11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
When I did my CCW for Butte I had a friend turn the PDF form into an editable document so everything would look nice and neat (I'm sure there are three year olds that have better penmanship than myself).
After going through the class and qualifying I went down to the sheriff's office with all of my paperwork (btw, you will be the office gal's buddy if you bring exact cash). She reviewed all of my paperwork, read through my GC and informed me the sheriff likes to see about 3/4's of the area filled out. I simply elaborated on my causes and all was well.
The important things to remember:
Dress nicely, be courteous, smile, and be polite. There was a gentlemen that came in while I was waiting, who was very loud, and disrespectful about his permit (apparently it had expired).
I don't know the outcome of what happened, but I know that my permit showed up in the mail about 5-6 weeks later.
Don't be afraid of applying in Butte county, if you're background is clear, you have gone through all of the classes, and put 27 out of 30 on paper you should be good to go.

Kid Stanislaus
11-06-2011, 12:54 PM
It sounds like "personal protection" is not good 'nuff to make it fly.

jwollam
11-06-2011, 1:18 PM

if you just put down personal protection you would probably be asked to put more down.
However if you described where you are going, what you are doing, and who you are with, and why you need to be protected chances are you will go straight through.

ChicoCalifas
11-06-2011, 7:01 PM

Yes it is just give examples. Such as "I often travel_________ where Law Enforcement has little to no presence." or "I take trips to _________ where there is a high crime rate." or "To give myself the ability to protect myself, while complying with CA law." By OR I mean put them all down. Plus be creative and make some of your own examples and situations. Make sure they are truthful but give the man a fair idea as to why you would like to carry. Being able to articulate a few good written lines is all he wants to see from us. Took me 7 weeks from live scan.

Kid Stanislaus
11-06-2011, 7:53 PM
The man should be satisfied with the fact that I'm a law abiding citizen and I want to carry a gun for my personal protection. ;)

ChicoCalifas
11-07-2011, 4:55 PM
The man should be satisfied with the fact that I'm a law abiding citizen and I want to carry a gun for my personal protection. ;)

He is. He just wants to cover his arse a bit. There is no interview or anything of the such. I can't imagine it being any easier than it currently is, you take a class and pass the live scan. As I understand it he feels the need to require "good cause" if you can call it that around here, because of the laws wording. But what he accepts is up to him, hence why he is so easy going with what he accepts.

Squirrel15
01-11-2012, 10:20 PM
I know, I know dumb question, but I'm up here for school and working up here as well, so everything I have has my address to where I'm from. So, my dumb question being, what exactly shows my current residency where I reside most regularly? Will they accept something like a pay stub? And no I do not have a rental agreement or bills with my name on it currently.

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question :o

Nor Cal Scot
02-09-2012, 6:10 PM
Submitted my CCW today at the Butte County Sheriff headquarters. Lady at desk liked my paperwork. Did lifescan and prepared ccw permit. Process is to review and then inform me to proceed with CCW class. Pretty harmless so far. Another guy was there getting his renewal. I'll let you know of results. I believe my GC statement is decent and should avoid any scrutiny.

CitaDeL
02-10-2012, 1:21 PM
Submitted my CCW today at the Butte County Sheriff headquarters. Lady at desk liked my paperwork. Did lifescan and prepared ccw permit. Process is to review and then inform me to proceed with CCW class. Pretty harmless so far. Another guy was there getting his renewal. I'll let you know of results. I believe my GC statement is decent and should avoid any scrutiny.

Were you required to pay the fees in total up front or did you pay 20% of the local fees and the DOJ/LiveScan fee, with the balance of the local fees payble upon issuance of a license to carry?

Were you required to provide documentation establishing residency (like utility bills, rental agreement or property tax documents) for a specified duration?

Nor Cal Scot
02-10-2012, 5:35 PM
Were you required to pay the fees in total up front or did you pay 20% of the local fees and the DOJ/LiveScan fee, with the balance of the local fees payble upon issuance of a license to carry?

Were you required to provide documentation establishing residency (like utility bills, rental agreement or property tax documents) for a specified duration?

I paid $108 up front with the balance of $54 due upon issuance. I only provided my DMV registration and drivers license for proof of residency. No request to prove duration.

CitaDeL
02-10-2012, 6:20 PM
I paid $108 up front with the balance of $54 due upon issuance. I only provided my DMV registration and drivers license for proof of residency. No request to prove duration.

Sounds like Butte is more up to speed on the law than Shasta. Congratulations.

Blucruz
02-13-2012, 4:29 PM
Sheriff Smith came to our lunch meeting back in January and made it very clear that he was in favor of the 2nd Amendment. Didn't dwell much on ccw/ltc but made it pretty clear that if you have "good cause" and pass background you will get through easily.:)

blakdawg
03-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Woot! Just found out that my good cause and background check have been approved, time to take the class and go pick up my LTC!

Applied 1/27/12, got the happy letter on 3/7/12. My wife applied the same day, no results for her yet.

Nor Cal Scot
03-09-2012, 7:43 AM
Nice! Who are you using for class? I'm thinking of Flying Brass once I receive my approval to proceed.

blakdawg
03-18-2012, 3:21 PM
Nice! Who are you using for class? I'm thinking of Flying Brass once I receive my approval to proceed.

I'm not sure who I'm going to use - had planned to use Safer Arms because I've been going there with my wife to practice (she is also getting her CCW) and she wanted to take the class where we've practiced.

but . . .

when the background check letter comes back OK, the SO sends you a "training authorization" letter that says "THIS LETTER IS VALID FOR 30 DAYS".

So we went to Safer Arms yesterday for some more practice (we're both consistently shooting well enough to qualify, but my wife is very competitive and wants to be perfect, not adequate) and tried to sign up for the class . . . but they don't have any classes available for 3 weeks, and my authorization letter will expire before the next Saturday class, and my wife has class on Tuesday nights.

OK, I thought, I'll use that Caleb/Flying Brass guy, people seem to like him . . . except his classes are on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month, and yesterday was the 3rd Saturday in March, and he's not doing a class on the 1st Saturday in April for some reason . . . so he won't have a class for another month, which is also after my training letter expires.

OK, cool, I'll use Chico Rod & Gun, they seem like nice guys from their video stuff online and I've been wanting to check out their facilities . . . but their classes are on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, which I've just missed by 2 days, and my letter will expire before the 1st Friday in April.

So now I'm down to the last 2 people in Butte County on the list - one of them is Forrest Holmbach, who is one of the head folks at Paradise Rod & Gun Club, and he seems like a good guy from what I can find on the Internet, so I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what his story is - the other authorized instructor has no information available, will probably give him a call, too.

So I'm gonna get it done, even if it means I have to take a day off from work, but this 30 day authorization thing is a pain in the *** if the class providers are only going to offer 1 or 2 classes per month.

Reorganizing my schedule or missing a day of work is still much, much better than things are for most of CA (by population) - so I'm aware that in the big picture, this is a minor thing - but, arrgh, it's frustrating to get so close and then have the bureaucratic crap slow it down further.

So the moral of this story is - when you get your letter, get your class lined up right away. I waited a little while because my wife's authorization letter was a week behind mine in the mail, and she bought a new gun that's still in the 10-day hold at the FFL, and she wants to put that gun on her permit, so we have to take the class after she picks up the new gun . . but, all things considered, I'm lucky to live in a county where getting a CCW is pretty easy, and to have a wife that likes to shoot and buy new guns and get a CCW.

CitaDeL
03-18-2012, 4:47 PM
It seems every time an issuing agency is educated- (even ones reputed to be friendly to LTC) it seems to me that the agency will look for another way to futz with an applicant.

First, this letter of 'training authorization' is something that the Butte County Sheriff has made up... or at least renamed the statutory approval/denial letter that one is supposed to recieve within the designated timeframe after their application has been received. Second, the Sheriff appears to be imposing an expiration date on his approval- which is exceeds his authority to impose. You are either approved or denied and any disqualifying event or circumstance subsequent to the application would invalidate the license once it was issued anyway.

Were it me, I would probably be inclined to write a letter (certified, return reciept requested) requesting an extention given the scheduling circumstances, citing the probability that you would have to take time off work and indicate that such expirations of approval exceed his discretion. This would be after of course, consulting with Wildhawker.

wildhawker
03-19-2012, 2:04 AM
I can comment on this a bit further after Nordyke but I agree with CitaDel and concur with his suggestion.

-Brandon

Nor Cal Scot
03-20-2012, 5:30 AM
I talked with Sean at Safer Arms. He informed me that one only need to be registered for a class within the thirty days. The actual class does not need to take place within the thirty days. I will call the Sheriff's Office this morning to confirm.

CitaDeL
03-20-2012, 6:08 AM
I talked with Sean at Safer Arms. He informed me that one only need to be registered for a class within the thirty days. The actual class does not need to take place within the thirty days. I will call the Sheriff's Office this morning to confirm.

Even if Sean at Safer Arms is correct, it does not jive with...

...when the background check letter comes back OK, the SO sends you a "training authorization" letter that says "THIS LETTER IS VALID FOR 30 DAYS".

And assuming this is all a misunderstanding and it is simply a requirement to register for a class within thirty days, what are the consequences to not registering for a LTC class within the Sheriff's perscribed timetable?

Ultimately, if his approval is still contingent upon acting within a timetable that is not his to set, it is still an abuse of his discretion. When he says "Yes", the only way I believe it can lawfully become "NO" is for you to be a prohibited person or permanently move out of state.

blakdawg
03-20-2012, 11:47 AM
I talked to the records unit at the Butte County SO yesterday - they said that the new letters going out have an expiration of 60 days, not 30, and that mine was probably one of the last letters that went out with the old number. We signed up for a class at Safer Arms in early April and I think my personal situation is resolved.

In the bigger picture, I think it would be better to have a better-defined policy regarding expiration of the training letter. While I think it does make sense for the letter to expire, given that the two components of CCW eligibility (good cause and good moral character) are both subject to change with the passage of time, I think 30 days is too short (and, apparently, the SO has come to think so, too.)

By way of comparison, attorney licensing also requires a determination of good moral character. When the CA Bar makes a determination that an applicant is of good moral character, that determination is good for 36 months before it must be renewed.

While I don't think that it makes sense for the training letter to be valid indefinitely (the CCW itself is only valid for 2 years), I think it would make a lot more sense to say that the license must be issued by date "X", rather than saying that someone must complete registration for training prior to date "X". I don't have any reason to think anything bad about anyone at Safer Arms, but I'm not very comfortable with letting the time period expire before I have completed the training - what if the instructor dies, or goes on vacation, or the range closes or has a fire, or the instructor and I don't get along with each other? What if the training org decides to triple their prices after the letter expires?

If the concern is that someone will be eligible today, get a training authorization, then commit a bunch of crimes and get rid of the parts of their life that created good cause, and then go get their permit with stale/expired GC/MC, it doesn't make sense to say that the training org can extend the issue period indefinitely - that doesn't really address the underlying concern. It makes it a little tougher for the applicant, versus just putting the letter in their sock drawer and getting it out 10 years later, but if we're really concerned that unqualified people are going to get licensed, we can/should do better than that.

FYI, when we registered at Safer Arms for the class, they wanted to keep the original of the training authorization letter.

Nor Cal Scot
03-20-2012, 12:46 PM
When he says "Yes", the only way I believe it can lawfully become "NO" is for you to be a prohibited person or permanently move out of state.

Right, I completely agree. It is odd to have a time frame involved. I was not aware of it until I received the letter. If brings up a lot of "what if's."

I talked to the records unit at the Butte County SO yesterday - they said that the new letters going out have an expiration of 60 days, not 30, and that mine was probably one of the last letters that went out with the old number. We signed up for a class at Safer Arms in early April and I think my personal situation is resolved.

In the bigger picture, I think it would be better to have a better-defined policy regarding expiration of the training letter. While I think it does make sense for the letter to expire, given that the two components of CCW eligibility (good cause and good moral character) are both subject to change with the passage of time, I think 30 days is too short (and, apparently, the SO has come to think so, too.)

By way of comparison, attorney licensing also requires a determination of good moral character. When the CA Bar makes a determination that an applicant is of good moral character, that determination is good for 36 months before it must be renewed.

While I don't think that it makes sense for the training letter to be valid indefinitely (the CCW itself is only valid for 2 years), I think it would make a lot more sense to say that the license must be issued by date "X", rather than saying that someone must complete registration for training prior to date "X". I don't have any reason to think anything bad about anyone at Safer Arms, but I'm not very comfortable with letting the time period expire before I have completed the training - what if the instructor dies, or goes on vacation, or the range closes or has a fire, or the instructor and I don't get along with each other? What if the training org decides to triple their prices after the letter expires?

If the concern is that someone will be eligible today, get a training authorization, then commit a bunch of crimes and get rid of the parts of their life that created good cause, and then go get their permit with stale/expired GC/MC, it doesn't make sense to say that the training org can extend the issue period indefinitely - that doesn't really address the underlying concern. It makes it a little tougher for the applicant, versus just putting the letter in their sock drawer and getting it out 10 years later, but if we're really concerned that unqualified people are going to get licensed, we can/should do better than that.

FYI, when we registered at Safer Arms for the class, they wanted to keep the original of the training authorization letter.
Some good points. Clarification would be nice.

What day are you training? I have mine on April 7th.

CitaDeL
03-21-2012, 2:55 PM

I apologize if I seem to be belaboring these rather small issues, but I think it is important to encourage the Sheriff to conform to the law regardless of the percieved significance of the details.

First, the letter an applicant recieves from an issuing agency informing of a positive determination is a letter of approval. The Sheriff has no authority to authorize when you get your training. You don't need anyone's permission. Potentially, you can go get your training before you get your approval letter, but this defeats the purpose of not being required to pay for and recieve training in advance of the issuing agencies determination.

Second, the Sheriff's statutory discretion is limited. Under the law, the Sheriff can deny for residency, good moral character, and good cause. Nowhere in the law, does it say that the Sheriff can place conditions on issuance like expirations on your approval. It is the opposite,... the Sheriff's approval cannot expire- and it can only be altered by statutory disqualification.

If you think that it is reasonable to expect an issuing agency to apply a time limit on training or place any number of conditions on issuance of a license, then you must believe that the agency has unlimited discretion and should be allowed to make up rules without the legislature's guidance.

As I have already pointed out, if an applicant is involved in a disqualifying event, such as commiting a crime, or being adjudicated as mentally ill (say, between the time the applicant is approved and the license is issued) the DOJ will inform the issuing agency that the applicant is a prohibited person, and the license would be revoked or invalidated.

I think it would be interesting to apply and recieve approval and return with a training certificate after their 'training authorization' letter expired. It would give a new meaning to suing ever m-f'r in the room and make every rural county's bean-counter pucker.

Nor Cal Scot
04-09-2012, 7:14 PM
Well, picked up my CCW today. Was a little less than impressed with the course at Safer Arms. I will be looking around for an instructor that can help with some better tactical scenarios. Altogether, a fairly easy process... Still, an unnecessary process...

199q
05-29-2012, 2:27 PM
I applied about 4 weeks ago, and still have a few weeks left to wait. I understand that they might not be 100% to the letter of the law, but the process seems simple and painless compared to other counties, such as say Marin.

I would also strongly recommend Caleb at Flying Brass. Caleb goes above and beyond what is legally required, and it is worth every penny. Being new to Handguns, and really not having any gun friends, I have emailed Caleb a few times for silly questions, and have helped me out quite a bit. He is truly a gun guy. He has also chatted with me on the phone as well, and even offered to show me proper form and trigger control... for free. Any shooting Instructor who is willing to help a new guy out is great in my book. I will be using him for sure.

Fish
07-22-2012, 2:18 PM
I think it would be interesting to apply and recieve approval and return with a training certificate after their 'training authorization' letter expired. It would give a new meaning to suing ever m-f'r in the room and make every rural county's bean-counter pucker.

CitaDel, while I applaud your enthusiasm, the Sheriff here seems to be a real friend to the Second Amendment and I think he's just trying to make the process as painless as possible.

Two years ago, you took the class first and then applied for the permit. I suspect what happened is that some people who were disqualified took the class and then got upset that they'd spent the time and money (and took up slots in classes that other people might have had) and gotten turned down.

So, to save everybody a lot of grief, I think they decided people should apply first, so you haven't spent the time and money on the class if you're just going to get turned down. But, they're also savvy enough to know that if they don't put an expiration date on it they'll eventually have somebody in their office waving a five year old letter and making a scene.

So, I think they just picked 30 days out of a hat, not realizing that it's actually kind of tough to get scheduled in 30 days. So now they've extended it to 60, and really, I doubt they'd give you trouble if you walked in with a letter that's a couple of weeks expired. They're good guys, really, they're not trying to trip you up, in fact they're very friendly and helpful over the phone about what to put on the application. It seems like if you're a law-abiding citizen they want you to have the permit, and it shows in both their words and their actions.

Gray Peterson
07-22-2012, 7:19 PM
CitaDel, while I applaud your enthusiasm, the Sheriff here seems to be a real friend to the Second Amendment and I think he's just trying to make the process as painless as possible.

If he's a real friend of the Second Amendment:

http://www.buttecounty.net/SheriffCoroner/~/media/County%20Images/Sheriff%20Coroner/PDF/CCW%20Info1.ashx

Why doesn't he say "self defense shall be considered good cause by the sheriff's office"? There's no excuse for a rural sheriff to not put in something when Sacramento does the same thing...

CitaDeL
07-22-2012, 8:11 PM

Two years ago, you took the class first and then applied for the permit. I suspect what happened is that some people who were disqualified took the class and then got upset that they'd spent the time and money (and took up slots in classes that other people might have had) and gotten turned down.

So, to save everybody a lot of grief, I think they decided people should apply first, so you haven't spent the time and money on the class if you're just going to get turned down. But, they're also savvy enough to know that if they don't put an expiration date on it they'll eventually have somebody in their office waving a five year old letter and making a scene.

So, I think they just picked 30 days out of a hat, not realizing that it's actually kind of tough to get scheduled in 30 days. So now they've extended it to 60, and really, I doubt they'd give you trouble if you walked in with a letter that's a couple of weeks expired. They're good guys, really, they're not trying to trip you up, in fact they're very friendly and helpful over the phone about what to put on the application. It seems like if you're a law-abiding citizen they want you to have the permit, and it shows in both their words and their actions.

Out of 58 Sheriffs in California, there is no "shall issue" advocate. If one were to find a real 'friend' to the second amendment, we would find that they would either follow California statute as it is applicable to carry licenses (which is their minimum duty to oblige) or they would adopt an even more permissive policy than the law outlines (such as approving any person who is not prohibited to possess a firearm). Since the Butte County Sheriff has not done either of these things, one may correctly assume that he has no intention of being anything other than 'may' issue. He further compounds this by enforcing policies that have no basis in law that exceed his authority. In addition to the expiration of the approval letter, these pop out as unlawful...

3. Age requirement

A. Must be at least twenty one (21) years of age.

4. Proof of Residency

A. Bring a copy of your rental agreement, tax bill, utility bill,or other forms showing your main residence is in the County of Butte

There is no such age requirement in the statute (an applicant need only be 18) and applicants may not be required to provide any forms other than the standard application.

Reform comes in two forms. One is willingly. The other, no Sheriff is immune from- even if they hang their hat at the gun club and have a lifetime membership with the NRA. They are still obligated to follow the law.

Rangem4
08-01-2012, 2:23 PM
Dob's class is thourough and he is a real pro. Butte County Sheriff's office are great people. Take your class certificate and targets to the office pay your fees and your are good to go for two years.

Fish
08-06-2012, 3:03 PM
Side note on the process to renew or add a firearm: if you're a current CCW holder, there's no need to fill out a whole new application. Just call the sheriff's office, they'll run your name again and send you out a training letter.

I'm not going to argue about the "training letter" thing. This is the last I'll say on the topic: I don't know Jerry Smith. I've never met the man let alone done him any favors, I'm not in any sort of special "sheriff's auxiliary" or anything other than an ordinary citizen with a clean record, yet the process was painless and hassle-free, in fact his staff has been downright helpful. Would I rather he had an explicit "shall-issue" policy? Of course I would. But as far as I'm concerned the problem is sheriffs who who don't issue at all, or who only issue permits in exchange for large donations or political favors, not a guy who's on record as stating that ordinary law-abiding citizens should have the means to defend themselves but thinks the process would be a little smoother if it were run a little differently.

CitaDeL
08-07-2012, 6:37 AM
But as far as I'm concerned the problem is sheriffs who who don't issue at all, or who only issue permits in exchange for large donations or political favors, not a guy who's on record as stating that ordinary law-abiding citizens should have the means to defend themselves but thinks the process would be a little smoother if it were run a little differently.

Good. If he is on the record as stating that ordinary law-abiding citizens should have the means to defend themselves, then he won't mind reviewing the statute and reforming his policies to comply with it.

johnyreb
09-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Just got my letter in the mail. 3 weeks to come back and now to take my class!

Barkfire
10-03-2012, 7:38 AM
Applied on 9-18-12 received my letter on the 29th...eleven days! I was really surprised it was so fast. Now I just need to get into a class to finish this thing. I wanted to use Chico Rod & Gun but they don't seem to return emails and the phone number they have does not take messages. Looks like I will be using Safer Arms.

Nor Cal Scot
10-04-2012, 8:44 AM
Congrats guys! Carry everyda! The course at safer arms gets you what you need. I wasn't too impressed though...

Barkfire
10-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Just to follow up, I found out with Chico Rod & Gun you just show up at 5:30-6:00 pm on the first or third Friday of the month and take the CCW class (you can also sign up for Saturday classes). I took the class yesterday, 40 bucks (two guns), great class, great people, done deal. I go in to BCSO on Monday to get my permit. It will be 20 days from application to permit in hand. $25 bucks cheaper than Safer Arms and no arrogance to deal with!

Nor Cal Scot
10-06-2012, 9:42 PM
Congrats Barkfire!

Rusty_Rebar
01-08-2013, 3:51 PM
I have a quick question about CCW. I live in Chico (actually in the city, not an unincorporated area). If I was interested in getting a CCW, would I still be able to apply through the County, or do I need to go the the City to do this?

Mad Scotsman
01-08-2013, 4:00 PM
I have a quick question about CCW. I live in Chico (actually in the city, not an unincorporated area). If I was interested in getting a CCW, would I still be able to apply through the County, or do I need to go the the City to do this?

The process is through the county sheriff, regardless of where you live, as long as its Butte County.

Rusty_Rebar
01-08-2013, 7:14 PM
Thanks!!!

jimh
03-26-2013, 9:06 PM
Safer Arms has a 4 hour class. Flying brass (at the rod & gun club) has an 8 hour and has more shooting. Both are great...

chico.cm
03-28-2013, 4:29 PM
Safer Arms has a 4 hour class. Flying brass (at the rod & gun club) has an 8 hour and has more shooting. Both are great...

For training, please consider Chico Rod and Gun. They are a wonderful resource in Chico, and offer great classes.

PLEASE DO NOT spend your money at Safer Arms!

Nor Cal Scot
04-04-2013, 7:03 AM
PLEASE DO NOT spend your money at Safer Arms!why not?

drdarkness
05-19-2013, 8:52 PM
Do I need to bring all my info in when I fill out the application? Thinking about going in this Friday.

peterbo
06-16-2013, 7:56 PM
Do I need to bring all my info in when I fill out the application? Thinking about going in this Friday.

Bring your application, ID, and proof of residency to the Sheriff's office. They'll have you confirm the typed-up rice paper, and then you'll do the LiveScan and be told to wait however many weeks/months it takes to process the paperwork.

If cleared, you'll be sent a letter notifying you to complete the training and qualification to get your permit.

Good luck!

EDIT: Don't forget to bring $$$ too!

BPS
08-22-2013, 7:01 PM
I did my class through Flying Brass this past spring & would recommend it. Caleb is a great guy & for the most part, his assistants are pretty good aswell.

Lee

Bluthluh
10-08-2014, 6:26 PM
I noticed there haven't been any updates to this thread for more than a year, so here are some current and personal observations:

Jerry Smith retired as sheriff. Kory Honea, his elected successor, seems very reasonable in CCW policies.
Current wait time from application to issuance is about eight weeks. Most of that is due to the DOJ process, not BCSO.
I took the CCW class about a month after submitting my application. There was no problem with submitting the certificates after I received notification that my application was approved.
BSCO now requires an eight hour class.
Down Range Chico is a new indoor range that provides CCW classes. Highly recommended, link below.

Down Range Chico (http://downrangechico.com/)

powermad
10-08-2014, 7:21 PM
You have been misinformed sir. B.C.S.O. still only requires a 4 hour course. And 10 rounds shot per handgun to be added to your permit. Unfortunately Down Range is petitioning the new appointed (not elected) sheriff to increase the class fee to $175 from $65 (at Safer Arms), increase rounds to be fired to 150, shooting to be done dominant hand, weak hand, prone, lying on back, ect. The new sheriff and one of the owners of Down Range used to work together at the D.A.s office as investigators. I'm all for more training. But to try to change requirements just to suit your business needs is wrong! Down Range (dr) is not providing a superior product or service. So instead of competeing with other local providers they are trying to legislate out the competition. If you want to take a longer class with more rounds shot from varying positions, so be it. But these new requirements make the Butte Co. C.C.W. permits harder to access for people of lower incomes. Jerry Smith (the previous sheriff) lowered the rounds to qualify from 30 to 10 to make the process accessible to everyone who qualified due to cost and availablity of ammo in the last year or so. Please get your facts straight before posting something like this. I realize you had good intentions. But this stuff is very important. What you posted was little more then propaganda fed to you by your instructor at d.r. who has a dog in this fight. While it may become the truth if d.r. is successful in changing the requirements, its not the truth yet. I for one am boycotting d.r. for this underhanded move. I am not meaning any disrespect. Just trying to make the facts known. Good luck to you and your new C.C.W.

dca965
10-08-2014, 8:22 PM
You have been misinformed sir. B.C.S.O. still only requires a 4 hour course. And 10 rounds shot per handgun to be added to your permit. Unfortunately Down Range is petitioning the new appointed (not elected) sheriff to increase the class fee to $175 from $65 (at Safer Arms), increase rounds to be fired to 150, shooting to be done dominant hand, weak hand, prone, lying on back, ect. The new sheriff and one of the owners of Down Range used to work together at the D.A.s office as investigators. I'm all for more training. But to try to change requirements just to suit your business needs is wrong! Down Range (dr) is not providing a superior product or service. So instead of competeing with other local providers they are trying to legislate out the competition. If you want to take a longer class with more rounds shot from varying positions, so be it. But these new requirements make the Butte Co. C.C.W. permits harder to access for people of lower incomes. Jerry Smith (the previous sheriff) lowered the rounds to qualify from 30 to 10 to make the process accessible to everyone who qualified due to cost and availablity of ammo in the last year or so. Please get your facts straight before posting something like this. I realize you had good intentions. But this stuff is very important. What you posted was little more then propaganda fed to you by your instructor at d.r. who has a dog in this fight. While it may become the truth if d.r. is successful in changing the requirements, its not the truth yet. I for one am boycotting d.r. for this underhanded move. I am not meaning any disrespect. Just trying to make the facts known. Good luck to you and your new C.C.W.

Powermad- please check your facts Sir. Upon the retirement of Sheriff Perry Reniff, who retitred before his last term ended and who preceded Sheriff Smith, Sheriff Smith was appointed to fill the remainder of Sheriff Reniff's term by the Board of Supervisors. Sheriff Smith then ran for, was elected to, and served one four-year term of his own. He ran unopposed for the most part. Upon the announcement that Sheriff Smith would not seek a second four year term of his own, Undersheriff Honea ran and was elected to his first four-year term which he is now serving.

Bluthluh
10-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Powermad- please check your facts Sir. Upon the retirement of Sheriff Perry Reniff, who retitred before his last term ended and who preceded Sheriff Smith, Sheriff Smith was appointed to fill the remainder of Sheriff Reniff's term by the Board of Supervisors. Sheriff Smith then ran for, was elected to, and served one four-year term of his own. He ran unopposed for the most part. Upon the announcement that Sheriff Smith would not seek a second four year term of his own, Undersheriff Honea ran and was elected to his first four-year term which he is now serving.
Kory Honea was elected sheriff in June. There will not be a runoff next month.

Since he was running unopposed and Jerry Smith wanted to retire, the Board of Supervisors also appointed Honea in late May.

Since the term actually starts in January 2015, I suppose he's still technically the appointed sheriff until then.

powermad
10-09-2014, 5:13 AM
Hes still technically appointed. As stated above. This wasnt the point of my reply. The point I was getting at was d.r. pushing their own C.C.W. agenda. I have zero issues with Sherrif Honea so far. It is a shame to see d.r.'s position on this. I was excited to get a nice new range in town. One where we can shoot rifles indoors and on my end of town no less. But I cant support a range that doesnt support us as a shooting community. As you know, our rights and privledges are precious and few these days. Being eroded by the minute. The type of qualification being proposed by d.r. is law enforcement style. We as permit holders are trained to avoid an incident. This kind of training might send the wrong message to a select few. If we as a county were failing miserably during qualification or we had incidents envolving C.C.W. permit holders sending wild stray bullets downrange during a gun fight, then maybe. Extra and advanced training should always be sought out by a individual I believe. But still left up to the individual as long as they meet the criteria. But to try and change B.C.S.O. standards and force your agenda on our wonderful county is a dirt bag move usually reserved for politicians. Not something I would expect from the gun community. It is my opinion that we as a county should send a strong message to d.r. by boycotting them until they back off. I think they actually had a decent idea by offering an alternative to the other courses offered. A longer, more involved course for those who CHOOSE it is a good thing. But attempting to change standards to fit their greed isnt. Just one mans opinion.

jw5227
10-09-2014, 6:36 AM
No matter how Honea got to be sheriff.. at the end of the day what Down Range is trying to push and propose is nothing short of despicable in my opinion.
Down Range is a great idea and a nice new range but their push for the new changes for us Butte county residents to get CCW is a purely greed driven socialist move. Just the opinion of one gun owning/gun loving mothers opinion. The new proposed change is a money grabbing move not the move of people trying to better our local gun community.
I like how some above just target one comment on how Honea was elected and ignore the statements that were wrongly posted about the current actual requirements of CCW license in our county.

powermad
10-09-2014, 8:43 AM
Very well put! Its nice to hear a womans perspective on this issue. This is something our local gun community needs to be aware of. The socialist aspect was a nice touch. I guess d.r. didnt think they could compete with the local providers, so why not propose legislation to level the playing field to their ends?

dr67
10-24-2014, 1:06 PM
my CCW application was recently denied. I had an arrest 26 years ago ( Charge was dismissed ) that I had forgotten about. My application was denied due to not including this. My question is can I re-apply making sure to add this information, or should I just forget about it? Also if I re-apply how long should I wait. I have been searching and have not really found any info that helps. I can appeal the decision, but doubt it will help.
This is for Butte county.

I am hoping for someone with knowledge to give me some advice or opinions.

Thank you in advance.

powermad
10-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Hello dr67. Sorry to hear that you were denied. I don't have any personal knowledge of how to go about this. But my first move would be to contact the S.O. and speak to records about the denial. If that lead to nothing, I would see about making an appointment with the Sheriff himself to explain your situation personally. Just my two cents. Worst he could say is no. And then you are no worse off then you are now. Nothing ventured, nothing gained type of situation. Maybe someone else will chime in with some more personal knowledge.

dstr59
11-24-2014, 3:43 PM
I offer the following, as I am a former resident of butte county, and may once again call it my home.
I obtained my ccw in Tulare county. A very pro issue county.
I was not required to prove any qualification of firearm proficiency.
finding that kinda interesting. I asked the nice lady processing my app, why(?).
she said it had to do w/ liability on the counties behalf. Good enough for me! and I beat feet outta there. the good folks at BCSO might want ponder that a bit, before assuring their applicants odds of eliminating a perpetrator, who"s families WILL have a gung ho lawyer

Paladin
12-19-2014, 7:07 PM
If he's a real friend of the Second Amendment:

http://www.buttecounty.net/SheriffCoroner/~/media/County%20Images/Sheriff%20Coroner/PDF/CCW%20Info1.ashx

Why doesn't he say "self defense shall be considered good cause by the sheriff's office"? There's no excuse for a rural sheriff to not put in something when Sacramento does the same thing...
Went to their CCW page:
http://www.buttecounty.net/sheriffcoroner/records.aspx

The embedded link to the .pdf (APPLICATION AND TESTING PROCEDURES FOR CONCEALED WEAPONS LICENSE Effective January 9, 2014) does NOT say anything (that I saw), re. acceptable and unacceptable GC, or anything at all about GC.... :facepalm:

Why doesn't the sheriff just state on his website that SD is sufficient GC??? IIRC, Sacto, San Joaquin, Fresno, Stanislaus, Ventura and Orange counties all do!

Norcalkid
06-16-2015, 9:44 PM
Turned in my app about a month ago with Butte SO. Wrote 2 sentences stating my reason. I’ll let you guys know how it works out. As for the letter, Safer Arme’s doesn’t require the letter anymore to take the class and the class is good for 6 months (I was there today). Not sure about the others. I’ll let you guys know how it works out.

As for DR, they seem nice enough but it’s pricy. Most expensive range in town, most expensive guns, transfers etc. I think they hate me. I go there and window shop then buy else ware. They just aren’t competitive, even locally.

Norcalkid
07-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Update: Just got my letter from the Butte County SO today. Took about 7.5 weeks from when I went in and got fingerprinted and paid. The letter is good for 60 days.

Norcalkid
08-19-2015, 8:43 AM
Well it’s official, got my CCW today. Applied 5/4 and got my card 8/19. Cost me $225 all in (+ a little ammo). Was a fairly painless process here in Butte county.

Paladin
08-20-2015, 6:56 PM
Well its official, got my CCW today. Applied 5/4 and got my card 8/19. Cost me $225 all in (+ a little ammo). Was a fairly painless process here in Butte county.
Congrats! :party:

Without giving so much detail as to ID yourself, what was your Good Cause like?

Norcalkid
08-25-2015, 9:20 AM
Congrats! :party:

Without giving so much detail as to ID yourself, what was your Good Cause like?

2 sentences, I work out of town and drive to work alone and if the worst should happen I would like to be able to protect my family and myself.

1150gsr
10-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Butte county has changed renewal procedures, contact sheriffs office a month in advance of your CCW expiration. It is taking them up to 3 weeks to get letters out for renewal qualification.

Dittman2564
01-03-2016, 8:32 PM

It is 1 year. The info. is on the Butte County Sheriffs Office web site with the CCW application.

BAJ475
01-04-2016, 4:23 PM
It is 1 year. The info. is on the Butte County Sheriffs Office web site with the CCW application.

Could post a link? I can't find it.

ford347
01-04-2016, 9:04 PM
I have an approval letter from Butte County. There is no expiration date listed on the letter. Does it expire? I received my letter probably a couple of years ago and never went to take the class to actually obtain my CCW... I know, dumb. Does anyone know if it expires or if I would be denied by the CCW instructors?

BAJ475
01-04-2016, 10:45 PM
I have an approval letter from Butte County. There is no expiration date listed on the letter. Does it expire? I received my letter probably a couple of years ago and never went to take the class to actually obtain my CCW... I know, dumb. Does anyone know if it expires or if I would be denied by the CCW instructors?

I believe that in the past they expired in 30 days but now they are good for 60. In any event, you will have to reapply. Even if you had completed the process permits are only good for two years.

ford347
01-05-2016, 3:28 PM
I believe that in the past they expired in 30 days but now they are good for 60. In any event, you will have to reapply. Even if you had completed the process permits are only good for two years.

Thank you. I should have followed through. Lesson learned.
Josh

Richt
01-05-2016, 4:00 PM
I own a houseboat up in Butte county and dont know if that qualifies for some level of residence there to get my carry. Can anyone answer on this? Basically pay taxes for it up there and live in Santa Clara county. Tired of trying to work Santa clara county here.

Dutch3
01-10-2016, 6:06 AM
I own a houseboat up in Butte county and dont know if that qualifies for some level of residence there to get my carry. Can anyone answer on this? Basically pay taxes for it up there and live in Santa Clara county. Tired of trying to work Santa clara county here.

From the Butte County 'CCW Instructions';

" Please bring with you valid photo identification. If the address on your I.D. is not your
current physical address then you will also need to provide proof of residency. Bring
a copy of your rental agreement, tax bill, utility bill or other proof showing that
you reside in the County of Butte. "

Richt
01-18-2016, 4:18 PM
From the Butte County 'CCW Instructions';

" Please bring with you valid photo identification. If the address on your I.D. is not your
current physical address then you will also need to provide proof of residency. Bring
a copy of your rental agreement, tax bill, utility bill or other proof showing that
you reside in the County of Butte. "

Well I have a tax bill and can provide that to show property tax paid there for the houseboat on Lake oroville but the question is does that count to fill the requirements to apply there?
I spend a bunch of time on the houseboat in the summer.

Dutch3
01-19-2016, 4:11 PM
Well I have a tax bill and can provide that to show property tax paid there for the houseboat on Lake oroville but the question is does that count to fill the requirements to apply there?
I spend a bunch of time on the houseboat in the summer.

I think the requirement is to show proof of county residence. Personally, I think the county accepting revenue in the form of property tax for a houseboat should satisfy that requirement.

What the county thinks may be another thing entirely.

FWLTLK
02-06-2016, 8:27 AM
Just got my and The Mrs approval in the mail, time to get the class taken care of!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norcalkid
03-10-2016, 3:05 AM
Just got my and The Mrs approval in the mail, time to get the class taken care of!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took the class from the Chico Gun club at the building in the park. I thought the class was great.

FWLTLK
03-10-2016, 6:16 PM
Went to Azevedo Firearms Training in Biggs, very well done and small class size.

Richt
07-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Just talked to sheriffs department on this and they aren't willing to accept tax records for a houseboat as it can be moved anytime. Even with ten years of being there. They said perhaps try again at a later date and see if the position changes. If anyone has further info or suggestions I am willing to try again.

BTW they were great on the phone and a pleasant experience! Wish Santa clara was a nice.