PDA

View Full Version : SIG DAK

Sturnovik
10-14-2010, 9:56 PM
Alrighty guys even though I'm aiming for a Sig pro next, I do like that p220. Which leads me to my next point. As much as I love the DA/SA, I love DA simply because I grew up revolvers and love simplicity.

The Sig DAK looks awesome for what I'm looking for. Now I dont frankly care for this whole Sig QC stuff recently so just looking at this from an experince and simplicity perspective, how are these? I'm looking at the Sig p220 carry DAK. To my knowledge even if I couldn't find these in DAK most models made in the last 10 years can switch to the DAK and back without issues if I recall?

Thanks guys!

ALOC
10-14-2010, 10:10 PM
I have heard some bad thing about newer Sigs but have not had any problems with mine! P226 Combat, P220 SSS, 1911 TTT.

Sturnovik
10-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Yea everyone I know hadnt had problems with there newer sigs so I'm not worried. In terms of the DAK, is your p226 that model?

ALOC
10-14-2010, 10:19 PM
No. I have not had any experience with the DAK.

Grayblue
10-14-2010, 11:33 PM
If your frame is the newest one, you should be able to switch from DAK to DA/SA back and forth.

If your P226 is DAK, then it's a newer frame. Mine is a DAK.

9mmepiphany
10-14-2010, 11:43 PM
The DAK is an excellent pistol if you're an old revolver shooter...the action feeling like a tuned K-frame.

I've shoot several belonging to students and they were very easy to be accurate with

GKO
10-15-2010, 12:06 AM
P220/226/228/229/239 guns made after 2004/2005 (I think that's the cutoff point) can be converted to DAK. You have to either look at the cutout on the right side of the frame under the grip panel and/or call/email Sig with the gun's serial number to see if it can be converted.

I'm pretty sure the P220 Carry is convertible. You'd have to buy one in DA/SA and then send it to Sig for the conversion or buy the parts yourself and convert it as I don't think it's on the "approved list". The parts are quite expensive IIRC and only slightly cheaper than how much Sig charges for the conversion.

I like the DAK. It's not perfect but it's all I shoot now. The biggest bonus to me is the decreased pull weight of the initial long trigger pull and it's very smooth. Also nice not having a decocking lever on the gun and having to decock manually.

With DA/SA, while the SA trigger pull is a crisp 4.5lbs with some take up, the DA pull, while smooth, is heavy and long at 10-12lbs. That initial long/heavy trigger pull can be mastered but it throws me off, especially when I don't get to the range that often. I either shoot great with the SA pull or I shoot great with the DA pull but not one after another. It's a pain to me to shoot DA first shot, SA second shot, then decock and repeat to practice the transition.

With DAK, you get a pretty light, very smooth, revolver-like DA trigger pull for each pull of the trigger, around 6.5-7.5lbs, or you can use the first reset point which is 2lbs heavier in pull weight but you only have to let the trigger out half the distance vs the lighter trigger pull when the trigger is fully reset.

The way I shoot is the first shot is the long trigger pull and then I let the trigger reset to the first reset point and shoot subsequent shots from there. I personally don't notice the 2lb heavier pull weight. When shot this way, it's kinda like shooting DA/SA except the gun "decocks" when you let the trigger fully reset and there's no decocking lever. Additionally, that first trigger pull is just way more manageable for me.

Note that you can of course let the trigger fully reset each time and you'll have the lighter, longer trigger weight for each pull. Shooting in this manner is like shooting a revolver. Many people don't like the DAK because of the long trigger pull and the increased pull weight of the first reset. I've read that the trigger was designed the way it is to decrease the likelyhood of a ND due to the higher poundage of that first reset. Also, the first reset was designed to decrease the likelyhood of short-stroking the trigger. I dunno.

I think Sig should make some changes to the DAK, though. Lighten the trigger pull to about 6lbs, make the trigger pull length shorter, and make the 1st reset point shorter and the same pull weight as the long trigger pull. It would be very Glock-like without a trigger safety in that case but I think it would be cool. Whether it's mechanically doable, I don't know.

While I've heard/read of the many QC issues Sig has had in the past few years, which is disheartening, I myself have not had any major issues with recently made Sigs. The grips don't fit as well as older guns but aside from that, they've all been reliable and very accurate for me.

Ranger20
10-15-2010, 12:18 AM
I spoke with sig to convert my pistol to DAK and they said it's cheaper to have them do the whole job at $195. (Call 1-603-772-2302) than to buy the parts which cost over 200. also avoids voiding your warranty. I ended up just purchasing a 239 dak in 357sig.

Sturnovik
10-15-2010, 2:53 PM
P220/226/228/229/239 guns made after 2004/2005 (I think that's the cutoff point) can be converted to DAK. You have to either look at the cutout on the right side of the frame under the grip panel and/or call/email Sig with the gun's serial number to see if it can be converted.

I'm pretty sure the P220 Carry is convertible. You'd have to buy one in DA/SA and then send it to Sig for the conversion or buy the parts yourself and convert it as I don't think it's on the "approved list". The parts are quite expensive IIRC and only slightly cheaper than how much Sig charges for the conversion.

I like the DAK. It's not perfect but it's all I shoot now. The biggest bonus to me is the decreased pull weight of the initial long trigger pull and it's very smooth. Also nice not having a decocking lever on the gun and having to decock manually.

With DA/SA, while the SA trigger pull is a crisp 4.5lbs with some take up, the DA pull, while smooth, is heavy and long at 10-12lbs. That initial long/heavy trigger pull can be mastered but it throws me off, especially when I don't get to the range that often. I either shoot great with the SA pull or I shoot great with the DA pull but not one after another. It's a pain to me to shoot DA first shot, SA second shot, then decock and repeat to practice the transition.

With DAK, you get a pretty light, very smooth, revolver-like DA trigger pull for each pull of the trigger, around 6.5-7.5lbs, or you can use the first reset point which is 2lbs heavier in pull weight but you only have to let the trigger out half the distance vs the lighter trigger pull when the trigger is fully reset.

The way I shoot is the first shot is the long trigger pull and then I let the trigger reset to the first reset point and shoot subsequent shots from there. I personally don't notice the 2lb heavier pull weight. When shot this way, it's kinda like shooting DA/SA except the gun "decocks" when you let the trigger fully reset and there's no decocking lever. Additionally, that first trigger pull is just way more manageable for me.

Note that you can of course let the trigger fully reset each time and you'll have the lighter, longer trigger weight for each pull. Shooting in this manner is like shooting a revolver. Many people don't like the DAK because of the long trigger pull and the increased pull weight of the first reset. I've read that the trigger was designed the way it is to decrease the likelyhood of a ND due to the higher poundage of that first reset. Also, the first reset was designed to decrease the likelyhood of short-stroking the trigger. I dunno.

I think Sig should make some changes to the DAK, though. Lighten the trigger pull to about 6lbs, make the trigger pull length shorter, and make the 1st reset point shorter and the same pull weight as the long trigger pull. It would be very Glock-like without a trigger safety in that case but I think it would be cool. Whether it's mechanically doable, I don't know.

While I've heard/read of the many QC issues Sig has had in the past few years, which is disheartening, I myself have not had any major issues with recently made Sigs. The grips don't fit as well as older guns but aside from that, they've all been reliable and very accurate for me.

Yea I just took a look at the p229, which looks really awesome even with the DAK unit in it. I will definetly look around for one in .40/357 sig.

JohnnyCrash
10-15-2010, 3:04 PM
I just got a P226 .40 and was looking for a DAK model.

I've gotta say, I like the DA/SA trigger pull just fine, so I don't feel like I missed out.

OneSevenDeuce
10-15-2010, 3:46 PM
I'm not really a fan of the DAK. I like to practice a lot and after a few hundred rounds it started to feel awfully heavy. The pull is really long too.