PDA

View Full Version : snap caps - how long do they last?

mnh327
10-14-2010, 7:55 PM
just got some 9mm snap caps. A-zoom, supposed to be the best. Expensive little buggers! A 5 pack of 9mm costs about $4.25 each round!
Anyway, any idea how long they last? I got it mainly for my Kel-tec p11 which supposedly you're not supposed to dry fire, so I never did. My other 9s supposedly don't have a problem with dry firing.

sniper4usmc
10-14-2010, 8:17 PM
$4.25 a round?? you paid too much
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=642438

loosewreck
10-14-2010, 8:18 PM
I've never had to throw any away. I guess when the firing pin is no longer making contact with the rubber primer/stopper when its worn out. You can check by placing a pencil down down the barrel (eraser end first) with the A-zoom chambered and pull the trigger. If the pencil moves, then the snap cap is still absorbing the shock.

Maybe someone else has more experience and will chime in.

mnh327
10-14-2010, 8:25 PM
sniper- now add their handlin fee, then add shipping. What do you get?

mnh327
10-14-2010, 8:26 PM
loosewreck-
That sounds like a good way to check.

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-14-2010, 8:29 PM
$4.25 a round?? you paid too much
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=642438

the ones at turners were about 20 dollars for a 5 pack.

the only ones i have ever replaced were the ones for my 22lr. i dont know how long they will last. but should be a few thousand cycles.

loosewreck
10-14-2010, 8:37 PM
They're a little pricey, but worth the piece of mind. Guns, those things aren't cheap.

sniper4usmc
10-14-2010, 9:31 PM
sniper- now add their handlin fee, then add shipping. What do you get?

that's is why I always order over $100 with coupon code:D

Lead Waster
10-14-2010, 11:14 PM
If you have reloading equipment, you can probably make some snap caps by making a round with a spent primer, no powder and a bullet, though make sure it is really dead! (Spray some wd40 in there and paint the bullet or something!)

Joe
10-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Looks like they don't ever wear out.

hqly2001
10-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Forgive me but what happens when you fire with a snap cap? Does it make a sound or does the snap cap shoot out?

Seesm
10-15-2010, 1:33 AM
Its just a way of cycling your gun with the firing pin hitting the back soft side and not dry firing it.. nothing happens but you can eject them just like real bullets so its ok for training if you want.

BHPFan
10-15-2010, 3:54 AM
Forgive me but what happens when you fire with a snap cap?

Nothing.

Does it make a sound?
yes, it makes a sound: of the hammer hitting your firing pin, but if you use a worn snap cap from Pachmayr, it will make a "ping" meaning time to change your snap cap as its "fake" primer is pushed inside the snap cap.

does the snap cap shoot out?
nope

GŁnter
10-15-2010, 4:37 AM
I use a single A-ZOOM 9mm snap cap, they use a red anodized aluminum construction with a hard rubber shock absorber in the primer pocket. I've used and abused it, dry fired it couple thousand times, cycled through the action many times flawlessly out of my Beretta 92FS. Most of the anodizing is worn out, especially around the case rim from the extractor claw, case body from the magazine feed lips, and the bullet tip from the feed ramp. The rubber primer is a little but noticably deformed in the center with a dimple. But The snap cap is still working well and looks like its going to still survive for a long time, its built strong and worth every penny. The Beretta hits primers really hard too, If i stuck a pencil through the bore and dry fire, the pencil shoots across the room.

Bullwinkle
10-15-2010, 6:17 AM
If you have reloading equipment, you can probably make some snap caps by making a round with a spent primer, no powder and a bullet,Instead of a spent primer, cut a piece of pencil eraser to fit. [I don't reload, but I picked that up from an AGI video (can't remember which), so I assume it works.]