View Full Version : Is it kosher to sell a gun that you know is "not right?"

23 Blast
10-14-2010, 1:51 PM
Just want to get thoughts on whether it's okay to sell a gun which, although not unsafe or actually broken, is perhaps not 100% functional/reliable etc. For instance, selling an auto which jams a lot, or selling a revolver that's somewhat out of time.

10-14-2010, 1:51 PM
As long as its disclosed prior to the sale then I dont see why not.

10-14-2010, 1:53 PM
yep ful disclosure maybe the buyer know how to work around the problems

10-14-2010, 1:53 PM
I would disclose it and even do up a bill of sale with that disclosure and have the buyer sign off on it. I'm not an expert but if something should happen down the road, you are covered. Of course you'll take a hit on the sale price but doing the right thing here is best for both you and the buyer.

10-14-2010, 1:55 PM
I'd say it's not kosher to sell a gun with undisclosed issues. But just for converstaion's sake, what if the seller is 100% accurate in the sales ad. Is it on the buyer to ask about things not explicityly mentioned in the ad?

10-14-2010, 1:56 PM
If something's amiss no. If it's just the springs need replacing, like on a 1911 sometimes, who cares.

Exile Machine
10-14-2010, 2:02 PM
Full disclosure, yes it's kosher. Years ago I used to sell Waterford crystal on eBay. One time I discovered a piece that was chipped. I figured it was a loss. Instead of pitching it, I said, "what the heck," and listed it on eBay, with full disclosure including a macro photo detailing the chip. To my sheer amazement, it sold. Apparently there are those who can repair such things. That's probably even more true for malfunctioning guns.

10-14-2010, 2:02 PM
Don't worry about anything people say here. Just remember, the buyer knows where you live :hide:

10-14-2010, 2:04 PM
Sell it and bail!

10-14-2010, 2:04 PM
As stated, not without disclosing the issue. It is more than possible there is a fix that you are unaware of that the buyer knows about. So be upfront and honest.

I had an issue with a CETME. It was a nightmare to charge even after replacing the bolt and trouble shooting it and doing every fix short of cutting it open and rebuilding it. Sold it no problem even after disclosing that fact...and for just a hair under what I paid for it.

10-14-2010, 2:36 PM
as everyone noted, its fine as long as you totally state it. I once bought some grips from a gentleman who went to great bounds to tell me how there is a scratch on it and he'll lower the price for me because of it, etc. Needless to say, I was a happy camper, cause when I got the grips.. I couldn't even seen the scratch unless I put it under a light and tilted exactly in the right angle.

10-14-2010, 2:40 PM
I follow the same rule selling a gun I do selling anything else. If I know about a problem the buyer will know about it up front as well.

10-14-2010, 2:43 PM
It's not kosher if the firearm is question hasn't been blessed by a rabbi :rofl:

10-14-2010, 2:48 PM
+100 Full disclosure, IMHO its just shaddy and unethical to do otherwise. Grounds for a negative iTrader rating.

10-14-2010, 3:38 PM
If it is a Safety issue and the buyer is not a Gangbanger. Then yes. A gangbanger missing a hand is OK with me.

10-14-2010, 3:40 PM
it's fine to sell the gun; disclosing the gun's unreliability is a must.

23 Blast
10-15-2010, 2:09 PM
Okay. Thanks for the replies. Initially I was going to consign them, but the gunstores I took them to wouldn't take them after I td them of the issues. I figured as long as I disclosed the issues and gave a reasonable discount, then it would be okay.

10-15-2010, 2:19 PM
OK, So what do you have??

10-15-2010, 2:57 PM
no, its not messed up to sell your sig pro from turners

10-15-2010, 3:03 PM
Think about it this way - if you were buying a gun from someone, would you want to be told of its issues before you buy it? And if he didn't you, and you discovered problems after taking possession of the gun, wouldn't you be PO'ed?

10-15-2010, 4:54 PM
It really is a question of morals, how would you feel if I sold you a POS that did not function properly? Then you found out I knew it! Porbably not real happy I would imagine. If I told you this gun has issues and we agreed on a price....well, you would know what your getting into.

10-15-2010, 5:15 PM
Full disclosed, you are better than that. Plus the man got a gun.