PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on the Beretta PX4 Storm?

Porscheguy
10-14-2010, 2:31 PM
I love the looks of this gun but wanted to know what people thought of it? I have a G19 and was looking for something a bit larger and maybe in a 40sw or a 45 rather than 9mm.

I know it's not the top pick, but for me, I like a mix of great looks and great mechanics etc.

mag318
10-14-2010, 2:38 PM
The Beretta PX4 is a series of great pistols IMO, I have 3 of them. The full size 9mm Type G (decocker) is a troublefree rugged pistol. The 45 is just a tad bigger and has the lightest felt recoil of any 45 I've shot. The subcompact 9mm is easily concealed and like the others has been 100% reliable. I'm waiting to get my hands on the new compact model when it becomes available. No matter which model you choose I think you will be very happy with it.

LloydXmas250
10-14-2010, 2:42 PM
I have the full size 9mm Type F (safety/decocker) and I love it. It fits my hand well and it points well for me also. Recoil is very light on the 9 and from what I've heard it's a very soft .40 shooter. Have you handled one yet?

robcoe
10-14-2010, 3:16 PM
Great guns, not the kind I buy(I prefer steel and wood to polymer) but they shoot well and in both the reports I have heard and my own time shooting them they operate flawlessly.

Porscheguy
10-14-2010, 3:42 PM
I have the full size 9mm Type F (safety/decocker) and I love it. It fits my hand well and it points well for me also. Recoil is very light on the 9 and from what I've heard it's a very soft .40 shooter. Have you handled one yet?

No I haven't. I'm a total newb when it comes to pistols. I know my way around shotguns and rifles, but never had much experience in handguns.

My g19 was my first gun. I'm considering a lot of course like a 1911 etc etc. but I'm just attracted to the Storm. I'll do the whole rental thing at the ranges and try out a lot but I can't wait to try the PX4.

Thanks for the opinions from everyone.

cineski
10-14-2010, 3:50 PM
Never buy a pistol for looks. Buy on trigger platform and how it shoots for you.

No I haven't. I'm a total newb when it comes to pistols. I know my way around shotguns and rifles, but never had much experience in handguns.

loosewreck
10-14-2010, 3:51 PM
The price is attractive and I've read nothing but good things about them.

GUNFREAK
10-14-2010, 3:56 PM
The entire Fresno police dept has just switched to them. I heard positive things about them from buddies that are officers.

beardedscitpek
10-14-2010, 5:10 PM
I'm 20% through the 10 day wait for this model. Will be able to give full response in another 9 to 10 days (if you're not in a rush to buy).

KegCommando
10-14-2010, 5:38 PM
Own one.

I'd classify it as a good pistol, not a great one.

They have really lowered the price which will help, but I don't think enough.

People nowadays expect more than a pistol that works reliably, and until Beretta throws more support behind their product line, I don't see it making that leap.

Things like:

* Offering a mag spacer for using the fullsize magazine in the sub-compact, and the soon to be compact.
* Partnering with other companies, offsetting their development costs for accessories like Crimson Trace lasergrips. Or fiber sights for competition. More holsters, & mag carriers. Etc.
* Make it easier to get common spare parts, like springs. Make sure the people like Brownells and Midway don't run out and have them out of stock all the time.
* Offer a longer warranty.

Good reliable pistol...just not great. :(

Shadowdrop
10-14-2010, 7:45 PM
Mine is my home defense gun. Very reliable and accurate. I hope to get a CX4 to compliment it, eventually.

OMGofWar
10-14-2010, 8:02 PM
i picked up a used 9mm from a Calgunner and i'm always impressed with it. i was a big fan of the Beretta Cougar design but never managed to pick one up -- plus i figured the rotating barrel was a bit of a gimmick, but it's won me over in the PX4. i mean, there's recoil, but i wouldn't say much.

i have smaller hands, so guns with narrow grips like Glocks, H&Ks, and the PX4 are perfect for me. weight is fine. and most importantly it performs like a Beretta should.

the only thing that bugs me, and i didn't catch it until i bought one, is the safety/decocker takes a bit more effort compared to my 92FS. it feels 'sticky', even more so on the right side which would really bother me if i was a lefty. all i can say is borrow/rent one sometime and see for yourself. it's an easy gun to like.

orangeusa
10-14-2010, 8:10 PM
I have 92/96 models. But have shot a buddy of mine's PX4 in .40.

The rotating barrel really does tame that .40 round. I had 2 Cougars, still have one and they are similiar. PX4 is a newer, more refined design... And we can't get Cougars/Stoegars anymore.. :)

I just am not wild about polymer guns.. Sorry... But the PX4 is a winner - has a lot of fans..

Oh, one stupid thing is that the 92's and Cougars and PX4's all use incompatible magazines, but are almost identical looking... Go figure.

gumby
10-14-2010, 9:11 PM
The px4 in 40 is the best weapon I have ever owned. Its my 63rd pistol/revolver.

ronson
10-14-2010, 9:32 PM
Have the 9mm F model. Very soft recoil, excellent fit to my hand, easy to take down, easy to detail strip, definitely looks good.

Stock trigger I found terrible - DA pull is loooooong and too heavy, still problematic with an 8lb spring. Reset is a mile long, and still lots of takeup after reset. SA trigger is crisp and light. Unfortunately you can't put the safety on in SA mode - it's a combined decock/safety.

I used mine in a four-day handgun course. Had one bad Beretta factory magazine that gave numerous failure-to-feed and double-feed malfunctions; I threw it away. It was bad enough that several people commented that "you should think hard about whether to use that gun for home defense." The DA/SA transition was tough to master in a course that emphasized controlled pairs, but that's no different than any other DA/SA gun. The magazines seem sensitive to dirt buildup (sticky followers, I actually had a round get turned around backward in a sticky mag. Cleaned them all, problem went away). Lastly, it really does not like to run dry. Keep it well-lubed. The safety is not terribly ergonomic - I have big hands and still have shift my grip to reach it. I think on this model, removing the safety detent spring (thus converting it to a "G" model, or decock-only) is wise. The standard F-type safety is also quite sharp and prominent. Expect to cut your hand on it sooner or later if the gun sees hard use.

Can't commend on the C or D type models, might solve some of the issues I had with mine. The F model is the only one you'll see in stores though.

LloydXmas250
10-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I agree about not buying a gun just for looks but for me this gun looked good and works well for me. People seem to hate the safety/decocker on the slide so make sure you like it. It doesn't bug me in the slightest and I can easily use it without changing my grip. I've also found the safety becomes much easier to engage over time. Also make sure you like the DA/SA. If you have a Glock it will be weird at first. Again it doesn't really bug me after I got used to it. Definitely rent it. You won't regret it. On a side note, I got mine at Budsgunshop.com and they quoted mine at $432 so it was an excellent price.

Porscheguy
11-06-2010, 9:16 PM
Never buy a pistol for looks. Buy on trigger platform and how it shoots for you.

I meant I buy a gun that I love, based on all criteria. I couldn't own a gun that was amazing but ugly as hell. Maybe if I was in the military but I'm not. I want a gun in the middle. I love it's feel and looks, it shoots well, reliable, etc. etc. OF course I'm never going to buy a gun that looks great but is horrible. That'll never happen. But it's a hobby for me and I want a gun that I'm proud to grab. That's far from the first criteria though of course.