PDA

View Full Version : Question on familial transfer of a firearm

monstertodd
10-14-2010, 11:31 AM
If my father in Virginia has a non roster handgun that he'd like to give to me as a gift, does he have to bring it to California and be physically present in order to do the transfer, or can he ship it to my FFL here?

ke6guj
10-14-2010, 12:10 PM
either way is legally acceptable. It is up to your FFL what he will allow.

jtmkinsd
10-14-2010, 12:23 PM
If my father in Virginia has a non roster handgun that he'd like to give to me as a gift, does he have to bring it to California and be physically present in order to do the transfer, or can he ship it to my FFL here?

If it's a gift he will need to include a short statement stating it's a gift to you, the make, model, and the serial number of the gun in the box, along with a legible copy of his state license/ID. Non licensees shipping handguns must send them overnight air with UPS or FedEX (somewhat expensive) to the buyers FFL. If he takes it to an FFL near him to ship, the FFL can send it US Postal Service priority mail (much cheaper) but will charge a transfer fee also. Even with the extra charge it will no doubt be cheaper than shipping it himself. Once you get the gun to your FFL (make sure your FFL knows how to, and does accept non roster guns from family members out of state before shipping it) you can do the paperwork and start your 10 day wait.

monstertodd
10-15-2010, 9:15 AM
If it's a gift he will need to include a short statement stating it's a gift to you, the make, model, and the serial number of the gun in the box, along with a legible copy of his state license/ID. Non licensees shipping handguns must send them overnight air with UPS or FedEX (somewhat expensive) to the buyers FFL. If he takes it to an FFL near him to ship, the FFL can send it US Postal Service priority mail (much cheaper) but will charge a transfer fee also. Even with the extra charge it will no doubt be cheaper than shipping it himself. Once you get the gun to your FFL (make sure your FFL knows how to, and does accept non roster guns from family members out of state before shipping it) you can do the paperwork and start your 10 day wait.

When you say "non licensee's" you are referring to someone that doesn't have a drivers license right? Or are you talking about a federal firearms license?

ke6guj
10-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Or are you talking about a federal firearms license?

this.