PDA

View Full Version : handgun buying question

Tsihao
10-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi I'm in the process of buying my first firearm and I've decided its going to be a 1911. I've done a lot of research and done my rounds to the local gunshops and there is 1 shop that has given me a lot of good customer service, but does not allow people to cycle his new guns. Is that something I should be concerned with? I was told that if everyone did that to his guns they wouldn't be new anymore.

In case you're curious I've been looking at springfield loaded and operator series as I can't find any place that stocks dan wessons.

monstertodd
10-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I guess I can understand your shops point of view. He probably gets a lot of looky loos in there who just want to fondle and drool over the guns rather than actually buy them. But really, that is like going to buy a new car and the salesman tells you "sorry, but you can't open the hood, or the doors, or the trunk because then if everyone did that, it wouldn't be a new car anymore".

I'll be damned if I'm going to buy a gun from a shop that tells me I can't cycle the action and get a look inside.

Just saying......

41M
10-14-2010, 1:21 PM
As a buyer I try to show respect to the dealer's inventory. In the store where I buy most of my firearms a salesperson will sometimes hand me a high end product kind of in a showing it off manner, and perhaps hoping I will want it. In those cases I will usually refrain from manipulating any of the controls even if they say it is ok. I have also seen those new to firearms who think that what they see in the dealer's case are only display models, and seem surprised when they make a selection and the dealer doesn't go get one from the back. Once they figure this out they hopefully handle the firearms with requisite care. I think your dealer should perhaps consider a middle ground, perhaps asking that slides be eased forward, and cylinders not be slammed shut.

voiceoftheright
10-14-2010, 2:02 PM
I totally understand your dealer's viewpoint as I am sure he gets a lot of people in there just looking and are probably rough with the guns. You may not be one of these people, I wouldn't consider myself to be one, but take a look around, people are pretty stupid and disrespectful of what is not theirs. As a rule of thumb, I never cycle a firearm unless I ask permission first.

ocspeedracer
10-14-2010, 2:10 PM
Nice choice of guns!

jptopz
10-14-2010, 2:42 PM
Hi I'm in the process of buying my first firearm and I've decided its going to be a 1911. I've done a lot of research and done my rounds to the local gunshops and there is 1 shop that has given me a lot of good customer service, but does not allow people to cycle his new guns. Is that something I should be concerned with? I was told that if everyone did that to his guns they wouldn't be new anymore.

In case you're curious I've been looking at springfield loaded and operator series as I can't find any place that stocks dan wessons.

What area are you from? Up here in Sac area we have a great store TDS that has just about every 1911 you can wish for. Dan&Wesson being one of them.

negolien
10-14-2010, 3:02 PM
Yup Wild Sports also carries some 1911s like Kimber, S&W and colt.

Tsihao
10-14-2010, 3:39 PM
I'm in the san diego area and I do understand the shop's point of view. I wouldn't want to buy a "new" gun that has been handled a lot its more of a paranoia thing , is there an issue with it ...for example I cycled a loaded series at iron sights and the trigger was terrible. But it was a range gun so I'm assuming that was the issue with that one.

loosewreck
10-14-2010, 3:43 PM
Ask for permission, when I used to buy guns brand new, I'd ask if I could go as far as field strip and dry fire the gun.

S.A.
10-14-2010, 3:58 PM
Ask for permission, when I used to buy guns brand new, I'd ask if I could go as far as field strip and dry fire the gun.

So when field stripping a brand new gun and accidentlly scratch the finish. are you obligated to buy the gun?

loosewreck
10-14-2010, 4:05 PM
So when field stripping a brand new gun and accidentlly scratch the finish. are you obligated to buy the gun?

Don't know, probably. I stopped buying brand new guns a few years ago. I guess you can ask the person helping you to field strip the gun for you to be safe. At the very least they should let you completely handle the gun.

S.A.
10-14-2010, 4:21 PM
Don't know, probably. I stopped buying brand new guns a few years ago. I guess you can ask the person helping you to field strip the gun for you to be safe. At the very least they should let you completely handle the gun.

Well imagine that happening and you really don't like the gun, that's why I don't try it. Would be awkward situation. All the best.

j1133s
10-14-2010, 6:25 PM

Well, congrats on getting your first gun. And a fine one at that.
Each dealer has its own rules, so if you'd like the dealer then buy it there.

Except for mail ordered gun, I don't think I've ever bought one w/o cycling it. At gunshows, they'd zip tie the action and barrel, but they'll cut it when
you are serious about buying. However, I don't think it is too important. (I should add that we're talking about brand new guns)

Anchors
10-14-2010, 7:38 PM
I respect dealer rules. I prefer dealers that will let me cycle the action, look around inside, and generally "fiddle" with the guns. I also prefer dealers that (if they have backstock) bring me NIB firearms and not the model in the case.
There's a great gun shop back in AZ that will let you fondle to your heart's content and then when you buy they go break out a new one. I bought two handguns from them.
But respect the man's rules, I'm sure it isn't an easy business.
Just my two cents.

Tsihao
10-15-2010, 9:12 AM
Thanks. I went back yesterday and he saw that I was serious and opened them up to let me have a look.