PDA

View Full Version : California Gun Purchase Question, Ambi-safety...

soulesschild
10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Hey CalGunners!

First post here! Been reading as much as I can to find out information but I've recently run into a maybe dumb question but I've been saving up to purchase a Nighthawk GRP Recon. I am however, a lefty and the gun dealer told me (he's out of state and transferring the firearm to an FFL in my area) he is not sure if the Nighthawk GRP is on the CA approved list with an ambi safety. He said that if worst comes to worst, just buy it with the right hand safety, then send it back to have the ambi-safety installed. Does anybody know if having an ambi-safety factory installed violates any sort of CA law in terms of being on the approved roster? Or do I have to buy it "stock" then send it in to be modified?

Thanks!

Soul

Lead Waster
10-14-2010, 11:38 AM
The list, in a sticky above lists;

Nighthawk Custom GRP / Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 10/21/2011
Nighthawk Custom GRP RECON / Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 11/29/2011

As guns on the roster, it doesn't mention anything about safety configuration, just the model.

To be safe what you should do is talk to the FFL you wish to do the transfer with and ask him/her to check his/her list.

I don't think the ambi-safety would change the model number. But again, you should check, you don't want to go that far into the process only to have it rejected. So talk to the FFL to make sure.

Bullwinkle
10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
The receiving FFL in CA will know. He has the final word on whether to transfer it to you or not; anything else is just conjecture.

My conjecture: If the model number is the same w/the ambi safety as w/o it, it's legal.

soulesschild
10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks Lead, I'll contact an FFL in the area.

Soul

Heiko
10-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Check the roster for Springfield 1911s. There are specific models with "(ambi-safety)" appended to the model number. Presumably, the ambi-safety does make a difference as far as the roster is concerned but check with your receiving FFL. They might have some "ideas". ;)

I ran into this after seeing a CA FFL selling a Springer 1911 on GB with the statement in bold "NO SALE IN CALIFORNIA". I called to ask why because they are in CA, I am in CA, so let's make a sale. They told me that it was because it was an ambi-safety model and the roster did not have that model with ambi-safety approved. Total lunacy but that's CA for us.

See the screen shot cutout for what I mean. For example, "PX9142L" and "PX9142L (ambi safety)".

Droc101
10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
The ambi safety does make a difference, however, as far as I know, you are allowed to modify your pistol in anyway that you want after the transfer so long as you do not create an aw as defined in the penal code.

soulesschild
10-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Sigh, CA and it's gun laws. ;(

railroader
10-14-2010, 4:17 PM
Is the dealer ordering the pistol for you or can you order it from nighthawk yourself? The reason I ask is have the gun fitted with both safeties and ambi grips. Have the gun shipped with the ambi grips and the single sided safety installed but shipped with the ambi safety. When you get the gun you can swap out the safeties. It would be pretty easy if everything is already fitted. It would save you some money over shipping the pistol there and back to change them out. Mark

jtmkinsd
10-14-2010, 4:34 PM
Just call/email Nighthawk...they'll be happy to let you know if you can have it here. The extent of the options you want is what determines if the model number changes. From everything I've experienced with them they are very helpful...and customer oriented :D

Address:

Nighthawk Custom
1306 W. Trimble
Berryville, Arkansas 72616

Business Days:

Monday - Friday, 8 to 5 p.m. (CST)

Phone:

870-423-4867 or 877.268.4867

E-mail:

info@nighthawkcustom.com