PDA

View Full Version : How long will CMP take to deliver M1 Garand?

cornholio1
06-04-2006, 3:47 PM
I just sent my order in for a Service Grade M1 Garand to CMP and I know it says delivery in 60-120 days, but how fast have they really been sending these rifles? Some gents at the range today also told me to buy lots of ammo online before they ban it. So would the correct ammo be 30.06?

If so, what kind of ammo would you recommend? I been using Wolf in my other guns for plinking. Is Walmart cheap?

Any feedback on surplus ammo such as this?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=213903

TonyNorCal
06-04-2006, 4:27 PM
CMP has a forum that is full of good info. In fact, their Chief Operating Officer, Orest, posts their regularly answering questions.
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/default.asp

I believe some of the KA Korean ammo is corrosive and some isn't...but I'd assume it is and clean accordinglty.

CMP is currently selling Greek non-corrosive ammo that people on the CMP boards seem to like. I haven't ordered any yet as I still have some Danish stuff.
http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm

Also, I believe that ammo ban bill was ammended to not include rifle ammo. So no ban affecting .30-06 is imminent. That said, it's always good to have a supply:) .

NRAhighpowershooter
06-04-2006, 4:43 PM
Service Grades are getting few and far between... the 60 - 120 days has been the norm lately.. as for the ammo KA Korean IS corrosive PS Korean isn't. The Greek CMP ammo is fantastic ammo! The CMP will be issuing it, at Perry, this year for the Garand and Springfield matches.

MinorDMaverick
06-04-2006, 8:36 PM
CMP sent my service grade after about 45 days, but that may have just been luck. You have to be careful what kind of ammo you shoot in your M1 garand, because it was designed to shoot M2 30.06 ammo. If your ammo is too powerful you may bend an op rod and if it's too weak it may short-stroke (not fully cycle). Luckily, M2 can be found easily. The Korean brands are the corrosive 'KA' headstamp and the non-corrosive 'PS' stamp. There have been a few reports of bad lots of 'PS' headstamped 30.06, but I have not heard of any bad lots of 'KA' stamped stuff. The Greek surplus, which CMP sells, is great, but it runs really dirty; it is very accurate. They also sell de-linked M2 ammo, in 960 round lots, but it's not as good and is mostly spray and pray stuff.

KimoBBZ
06-04-2006, 9:09 PM
CMP sent my service grade after about 45 days, but that may have just been luck.

Were you happy w/ the quality of your service grade? I've been pondering service/rack/field grades for sometime now...

Snuffalofogus
06-04-2006, 10:41 PM
as far as ammo goes:

I only use the KA headstamped Korean stuff. Stuff works great on my rifle, and since I clean it very thoroughly afterwards I dont worry about it eating up my bore.

maxicon
06-05-2006, 9:33 AM
as far as ammo goes:

I only use the KA headstamped Korean stuff. Stuff works great on my rifle, and since I clean it very thoroughly afterwards I dont worry about it eating up my bore.

I prefer not to use corrosive ammo on semi-auto rifles, due to the added complexity of the gas systems, with more places for residue to get trapped.

Bolt actions are a lot easier to clean thoroughly, IME, but I can be a bit lazy about cleaning.

max

Snuffalofogus
06-06-2006, 8:18 AM
I prefer not to use corrosive ammo on semi-auto rifles, due to the added complexity of the gas systems, with more places for residue to get trapped.

Bolt actions are a lot easier to clean thoroughly, IME, but I can be a bit lazy about cleaning.

max

in other semi auto rifles I'd agree with you, but the Garand's gas system is very simple.

Just have to spray everything down with windex, dry well, and then clean normally.

MinorDMaverick
06-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Were you happy w/ the quality of your service grade? I've been pondering service/rack/field grades for sometime now...

My service grade was in perfect condition! It could have been a collector grade had all of the parts been SA. My two field grades (USGI) are kinda beat up, but they function well. My rack grade was pretty beat up, but it still works ok. Here's the Service Grade Greek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/MinorDMaverick/right.jpg

cornholio1
06-23-2006, 7:26 AM
Well just got a notice they are processing my order now. Any ideas on shipping date after processing?

glen avon
06-23-2006, 8:22 AM
two weeks I think.

let me know if you want any help when it comes in.

glen avon
06-23-2006, 8:23 AM
almost forgot...

bunghole.

cornholio1
06-24-2006, 11:10 AM
almost forgot...

bunghole.

Thanks Glen. Mikght need help with an AK build later this year as well.

leelaw
06-25-2006, 2:54 AM
I mailed in the paperwork on a Tuesday of week 1, The rifle was delivered to my door on Thursday of week 2. :D

This was in October, I believe.

bajaja
06-27-2006, 10:09 AM
my service grade just showed up after almost two months. it's pretty beat, with a lot of the metal pitted and worn, and a stock that's been fixed with glue and pins. not a huge spot, but obvious after the wood was stripped. the wood is some kind of funky zebra striped stuff i've never seen and the hand guards are walnut and don't match.

others have said that cmp can be a crapshoot and I suspect that because service grades are getting harder to find, you're more likely to end up with something less than stellar. this one is going to fulton for some much needed work.

of course, cmp warns buyers that conditions range from very good to very worn, so i don't mean to suggest that they didn't live up to their end of deal. i'm happy i got the gun, but this time around, it was no prize.

glen avon
06-27-2006, 10:24 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p3088eb9f655a834050b57cf0d79875fa/fb085850.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/pb287db36423b6a7eb5b06257c37a09ba/fb06f0dd.jpg

http://tokamura.tipg.net/images/Refinish/Refinish07.jpg

like these?

bajaja
06-27-2006, 1:03 PM
well i'll be darned. kind of like the dark one in the bottom photo.

MinorDMaverick
06-27-2006, 1:52 PM
of course, cmp warns buyers that conditions range from very good to very worn, so i don't mean to suggest that they didn't live up to their end of deal. i'm happy i got the gun, but this time around, it was no prize.

That's too bad; my service grade looked excellent and I'm not sure if it was even issued. When I opened the box I thought that they had made a mistake and sent me a collector grade! I was so sure it was a collector grade that I disassembled it, but found that all of the parts were not Springfield (the entire rifle was also covered in cosmoline). The Greeks really are luck of the draw, as far as condition is concerned.

If it needs repair, you can email customer service and they'll fix it for free. They have excellent customer service.

glen avon
06-27-2006, 2:02 PM
that bottom one is tiger striped birch.

Hunter
06-27-2006, 3:21 PM
I sent an order in for a correct SA and a collector HRA on June 6th. Their website says shipping is 60-90 days for correct grade and 30-60days for collector grade. However, I got notified today that the SA correct will be delivered tomorrow 6-28 via FedEx. So just over 3 weeks from dropping the order in the mailbox to receiving the rifle. No word on the collector grade yet.

Timing was as follows:
6-6 Mailed order
6-14 Received email for "Order acknowledgment"
6-26 Received email "Processing Order"
6-27 Checked E-store Website to see "Order Shipped" with tracking numbers.

bajaja
06-27-2006, 4:08 PM
that bottom one is tiger striped birch.

thanks for that!