PDA

View Full Version : Help, Potentially Defective Glock

sapo916
10-14-2010, 1:54 AM
Ok, I purchased my Glock 19 this year on February. It has the austrian proof marks and it has been giving me issues cycling. Last week at the range it messed up 3 times within 150rds. Once the ejected shell got jammed, once it ejected a shell but didn't cycle a new round, and once it tried to load 2 rounds at the same time so live rounds were stuck in jam that was difficult to clear. It has had issues everytime at the range but this time was the most severe. I put about 700 rounds through it so far and will be calling glock for their opinion soon. One other notable point is that the magazines have strong marring on them from the gun.

Thanks for any advice

RollingCode3
10-14-2010, 2:31 AM
First, do you know if it only happen with the same magazine or different magazine?

Second, let someone else shoot the gun and see what happens? Maybe you were limp wristing the glock??? I dont know

Turo
10-14-2010, 3:00 AM
The second two problems could definitely be magazine related. Keep track of the different magazines you use and see if one in particular is causing problems.

stphnman20
10-14-2010, 3:03 AM
From the sound of it, it could anything. Extractor, Mag, Limp wristing, etc.. So many problems. Best thing to do is maybe go to a range and have an armor or a smith or maybe even a calgunner to shoot and look at your glock.

Greg-Dawg
10-14-2010, 7:09 AM
Clean the gun, small lube, get new mags, straighten your shooting wrist or take a class.

BamBam-31
10-14-2010, 7:23 AM
Are these range reloads you're shooting?

cineski
10-14-2010, 7:48 AM
Guessing reloads.

hybridatsun350
10-14-2010, 8:09 AM
I'd go get that wrist checked out first... :p

Have you had someone shoot the gun who has more experience with Glocks or guns in general?

Recession
10-14-2010, 8:19 AM
Sounds like a case of "limp wrist".

CrippledPidgeon
10-14-2010, 9:18 AM
Everything except the double-feed is likely to be a symptom of limp wristing. Basically, you're letting the gun flip too much and it's short-cycling (fixing this may just involve locking up your wrists tighter, or it may also include changing your grip slightly). As for the double-feed, without knowing exactly how the gun doublefed, then it's hard to tell. If it does it again, take a picture and it'll help us figure things out.

fullrearview
10-14-2010, 9:31 AM
Lol....everyone claiming it was him and not the gun....Glocks do amlfuntion too you know! Of the 3 I have fired, 2 fired out of battery, one of them blew up in my freinds hands 3 rounds after I fired it.....It was his brothers gun. He was watching while he was away on a tour (hes in the IDF).

That being said, I know that its not a direct reflection to the whole brand and its functionality....Hell, the fire underwater for gods sake!

fullrearview
10-14-2010, 9:48 AM
Everything except the double-feed is likely to be a symptom of limp wristing. Basically, you're letting the gun flip too much and it's short-cycling (fixing this may just involve locking up your wrists tighter, or it may also include changing your grip slightly). As for the double-feed, without knowing exactly how the gun doublefed, then it's hard to tell. If it does it again, take a picture and it'll help us figure things out.

Pictures are hard to get sometimes.....I have been having issues with my duty usp 40. My manipulations have been hammered into my brain so much, that when I have a malfuntion, I clear it without even thinking about.....I have to go and shoot it today and see if we can figure out the problem.....I dont see it being the mags as it has happened with all 3.

sapo916
10-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Ok, I am aware of limp writing and I have done it a few times where I noticed it for sure. I will pay more attention to the issue along with getting my ammo from a different source, I have shot a wide variety of junk ammo (factory and reloads) and will just stick to typical range ammo brands now. I don't really know anyone with a lot of pistol shooting experience or I would get some pointers. But maybe I'll ask a friendly face at the range I shot at in Elk Grove. Taking a class is not going to work out right now but I'll reconsider it the beginning of next year.

Anyway, can some fellow Glock owners look at the pics of my mags and tell me if gun biting into the plastic is typical? The pictures make it seem slightly less worse than it is but these are the mags that came with it and each has less than 400 rounds through it.

http://upload.removed.us/images/50823497342310594404.jpg (http://upload.removed.us/)
http://upload.removed.us/images/43544554796562803688.jpg (http://upload.removed.us/)

Thanks for the advice

Greg-Dawg
10-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Plastic has nothing to do with your problem. Take a class and stop wasting ammo.

sapo916
10-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Obviously it doesn't, I'm asking if the metal piece digging into the magazine at that angle is normal. Simple question that doesn't require a smart *** remark since I'm sorry that I'm not an expert shooter since birth. My groupings are decent for a new shooter (<1000 rds total) and these malfunctions happen less than 1% of the time so if you got nothing to contribute then please stay out.

imtheomegaman
10-14-2010, 1:08 PM
Plastic has nothing to do with your problem. Take a class and stop wasting ammo.

Harsh much?

imtheomegaman
10-14-2010, 1:10 PM
Sapo, I'm not a smith, but that doesn't look right (the wear on the mags). Do you have anyone you know that has some experience shooting, have them put a few downrange to eliminate anything you may be doing.

Short of that...send that bad boy in for repair, Glock will stand behind it.

mif_slim
10-14-2010, 1:25 PM
Help, Potentially Defective Glock

BLASPHEMER!! :chris:

but I'd say ammo too.

shortround1
10-14-2010, 1:25 PM
Ok, I am aware of limp writing and I have done it a few times where I noticed it for sure. I will pay more attention to the issue along with getting my ammo from a different source, I have shot a wide variety of junk ammo (factory and reloads) and will just stick to typical range ammo brands now. I don't really know anyone with a lot of pistol shooting experience or I would get some pointers. But maybe I'll ask a friendly face at the range I shot at in Elk Grove. Taking a class is not going to work out right now but I'll reconsider it the beginning of next year.

Anyway, can some fellow Glock owners look at the pics of my mags and tell me if gun biting into the plastic is typical? The pictures make it seem slightly less worse than it is but these are the mags that came with it and each has less than 400 rounds through it.

http://upload.removed.us/images/50823497342310594404.jpg (http://upload.removed.us/)
http://upload.removed.us/images/43544554796562803688.jpg (http://upload.removed.us/)

Thanks for the advice

My g19 mags have some slight scratch marks in the same place... not to the extent of yours however (and I've use mine for 9 years). They're always on the left side for me, I imagine it's from how I push the mags into place, however, I've never had a failure with mine. I'd write to glock and see what they say.

peter95
10-14-2010, 1:27 PM
it doesn't look right, but i can guarantee you that it has nothing to do with the problems you are having.

My primary vote would be Limp Wristing as you are shooting.

Does this happen as soon as you start shooting or it starts happening after a hundred rounds or so.

many people like to think otherwise, but this is quite common.

Id say have someone else you may know with a glock shoot it a few times and see if it happens to them too.

blakdawg
10-14-2010, 4:21 PM
Are those factory Glock mags? I don't have a G19, but I have a G23 (same frame size, but .40 S&W instead of 9mm) and the plastic molding details as well as the size/shape of the metal insert don't look especially similar. OTOH, the only mags I have immediately at hand for the G23 are pre-2000 hicaps, so perhaps they've changed things in the intervening 10+ years.

Most (all?) of the problems I've had with misfeeds, failures to extract, etc., on any gun (Glock and otherwise) have been traceable to problems with cleaning or lubrication. With respect to lubrication, more is not necessarily better. It can take a little while to figure out exactly how and where a gun likes/needs to be lubricated for best effect. ("That's what she said..." )

vintagearms
10-14-2010, 4:33 PM
Buy a new factory mag and buy a box of Speer gold dot. If neither of these solve your issues then I would start looking at taking it to a Glock Armorer for further testing. The only double feed related issues I have seen were underpowered ammo and/or mag related. Also, maybe try another shooter familiar with Glocks. I havent been able to limpwrist a Glock personally, but like anything else, it doesnt mean it couldnt happen.

loosewreck
10-14-2010, 4:56 PM
Yeah man, it really sounds like user error. The only pistol I've ever limp wristed was a Glock, I'm not afraid to admit it.

Greg-Dawg is just speaking the truth- he knows his Glocks. No reason to get defensive. There's a reason there's an acronym just for him: IBGD

Gryff
10-14-2010, 7:23 PM
Greg-Dawg is just speaking the truth- he knows his Glocks. No reason to get defensive. There's a reason there's an acronym just for him: IBGD

You can speak the truth without being rude.

Sapo, it's totally possible that there is a problem with the gun, but the #1 failure I've seen with Glocks is limp-wristing.

There was a good suggestion about having an experienced shooter try the gun to confirm the diagnosis. Otherwise, I would try the following:

1) Grip the gun like you are shaking hands during a business introduction. You don't want to grip it like you're trying to strangle it, but you also don't want a weak grip that has little or no effort.

2) Make sure you are using a stance that is slightly aggressive. By this, I mean that your center of gravity is shifted slightly forward (picture holding a ladder for a buddy while he's up on it) rather than backward. You can always tell the new or infrequent shooters at the range because they lean slightly backwards when they shoot. A backwards body position provides no benefits, provides an unstable platform, and slows down your ability to bring the sights back on target.

GlockBlocker
10-14-2010, 7:32 PM
+1 for limp wristing. go out and shoot some more with that in mind and see if you can can reproduce the issue when you are focusing on using a very firm grip.

someone here put it best as: hold it firm enough so someone can't knock it out of your hand.

sequoia_nomad
10-14-2010, 8:02 PM
You can speak the truth without being rude.

What exactly was so offensive about Greg-Dawg's statement? Too many guys getting emo on here when slapped with the truth. This site is about guns, not a support group for those with low self esteem.

RollingCode3
10-14-2010, 8:04 PM
What exactly was so offensive about Greg-Dawg's statement? Too many guys getting emo on here when slapped with the truth. This site is about guns, not a support group for those with low self esteem.

+1,000,000 :p

blakdawg
10-14-2010, 8:35 PM
For comparison, here are two shots of a similar area on a factory G23 mag that's approx 12 years old.

redcliff
10-14-2010, 9:42 PM
The weapon seems to be short stroking. It could be limp wristing but it could be the ammunition is underpowerred, or it could be the slide is slowing down from shaving the magazine feed lips each pass.

I'm no Glock expert but why would the magazine apparently sit too high? Bad magazine catch?

Greg-Dawg
10-14-2010, 9:51 PM
Greg-dawg speaketh the truth. Things I look for from original posters: post count, new gun and mistakes that are fundamental...are results from lack of the Basics of Pistols 101.

That's the main root of most gun problems. Especially for first timers.

To the OP you've already been given some solutions and now go apply them...especially the training part. And who knows, if you ask the range officer for some help...politely asking, they can give you a discount. Lastly, if I hurt your feelings, then get over it. Tough love baby. You'll appreciate it at the end.

Greg-Dawg
10-14-2010, 9:53 PM

Lol! I love it.

stphnman20
10-14-2010, 9:54 PM
Greg-dawg speaketh the truth. Things I look for from original posters: post count, new gun and mistakes that are fundamental...are results from lack of the Basics of Pistols 101.

That's the main root of most gun problems. Especially for first timers.

To the OP you've already been given some solutions and now go apply them...especially the training part. And who knows, if you ask the range officer for some help...politely asking, they can give you a discount. Lastly, if I hurt your feelings, then get over it. Tough love baby. You'll appreciate it at the end.
I'm going to have to agree..