PDA

View Full Version : How do you "throw away" a gun?

monstertodd
10-13-2010, 9:24 PM
If I had a gun (a POS gun that doesn't deserve to be a gun and should be melted down and used in something far more useful) and I wanted to get rid of it, what would I do? I mean this thing is beyond worthless, I can't see anyone wanting to buy it.

Is there a procedure in place for "recycling guns"?

69Mach1
10-13-2010, 9:25 PM
Turn into PD, or wait for a gun buy back day.

ke6guj
10-13-2010, 9:31 PM
you could always offer it up on the forum as a FREE gun, just pay the PPT DROS. Someone'd probably take it off your hands.

Cokebottle
10-13-2010, 9:33 PM
Or if you don't want to support the gun grabber's philosophy of gun buybacks and allowing the PD to melt guns down, dismantle it as far as you can, then torch-cut the serialized part (normally the frame, though my XD is serialized on the frame, slide, and barrel) with three cuts, removing 1/4" of material with each cut.

At that point, it is no longer a firearm.

If it's a handgun and it's registered to you, file an NLIP with the DOJ and throw away the parts.

To prevent the possibility of someone recovering and attempting to reweld the cut parts, I'd spread the parts into dumpsters in different areas of the city over the course of a few weeks so none of the parts will ever again end up in the same place at the same time.... but that's just being "too" careful.

Cokebottle
10-13-2010, 9:34 PM
you could always offer it up on the forum as a FREE gun, just pay the PPT DROS. Someone'd probably take it off your hands.
Or this....

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
What you have may be considered a collectible by someone.

Hell... if it fires and is at least safe, I'd even give you $20 for it and pay the PPT transfer fee if you're willing to drive it to Corona/Riverside.

verapakill
10-13-2010, 9:37 PM
What kind of gun?

monstertodd
10-13-2010, 9:45 PM
Or this....

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
What you have may be considered a collectible by someone.

Hell... if it fires and is at least safe, I'd even give you $20 for it and pay the PPT transfer fee if you're willing to drive it to Corona/Riverside.

If it fires, I wouldn't attempt it. The previous owner of the weapon (who is my father) claimed it would not operate properly. He "gifted" it to me out of frustration. After I got it home, I disassembled it. A couple of the internal parts are broken, so it is essentially unusable.

k1dude
10-13-2010, 9:45 PM
Some of those PD gun buybacks offer $50 to $100. I'd go with that.

monstertodd
10-13-2010, 9:49 PM

I may look into that.

JeffM
10-13-2010, 9:50 PM
Usually throw-away guns are kept until needed.

sevensix2x51
10-13-2010, 9:50 PM
:useless:

trob
10-13-2010, 9:52 PM
what is it?

monstertodd
10-13-2010, 9:54 PM
Email me for pics, I'm not going to post it on the forum.

j.primo
10-13-2010, 9:55 PM
I always imagined throwing a gun into a volcano.. Or lava. There are no volcanos around here tho.. Maybe Hawaii..

Matt C
10-13-2010, 9:56 PM
Maybe it could fall off your boat a few miles out?

verapakill
10-13-2010, 9:56 PM

Do you mean throw away or throw down? ;)

DanDaDude102
10-13-2010, 9:58 PM
what kind of gun is it?

monstertodd
10-13-2010, 10:05 PM
I always imagined throwing a gun into a volcano.. Or lava. There are no volcanos around here tho.. Maybe Hawaii..

That would be some serious fun! Would be like watching the T-800 get melted down in Terminator 2!

j.primo
10-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Do you know anyone who works at a smelting plant?:D

J-cat
10-13-2010, 10:19 PM
You can smash it with a sledge hammer. You could load a case full of bullseye and explode it. You could plug the barrel and fire it. You could shoot it (with another gun). You could plant it (in the ground). You could throw it off the pier...

morfeeis
10-13-2010, 10:23 PM
I would love to know what kind of firearm is so bad off it should be melted.......

five.five-six
10-13-2010, 10:23 PM
what kind or gun is it?

nagorb
10-13-2010, 10:24 PM
So what kind of gun is it?

five.five-six
10-13-2010, 10:27 PM
gun buybacks make me feal like this video makes me feel

nNo-dFGyh9c

monstertodd
10-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Do you know anyone who works at a smelting plant?:D

Hmmmmm.......;)

monstertodd
10-13-2010, 10:30 PM
gun buybacks make me feal like this video makes me feel

nNo-dFGyh9c

WOW! That is insane. Hadn't seen that one before.

nagorb
10-13-2010, 10:41 PM
So are you going to tell us what kind of gun it is or?

Ultimate
10-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Its a 1911....

JK:D

asme
10-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Find an alternate use for it like this guy did. (http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/11/20/colt-umarex-ar-15-22lr-gunbroker-saga/)

BillCA
10-13-2010, 10:50 PM
I would love to know what kind of firearm is so bad off it should be melted.......

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/misc/Clerke32sw.jpg

So, now ya know. ;)

Seriously, certain older models of cheapie firearms really aren't worth repairing.

That includes some older pistols like
Clerke Revolvers (above - that's actually a .32 S&W!)
F.I.E. Titan
Raven Autos
Spanish Ruby Revolvers
Early Belgian small caliber pistols
Rohm "RG" Revolvers (below)
And more that were sold very cheaply before ~1980
http://www.gun-parts.com/rohm/apr28_01.jpg

monstertodd
10-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Bryco Arms Jennings Nine.

Blackhawk556
10-13-2010, 11:30 PM
That would be some serious fun! Would be like watching the T-800 get melted down in Terminator 2!

cyberdyne system model 101
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/terminator2.jpg

i love that movie:D

My network SSID is "skynet" :D

sigfan91
10-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Offer it for free. Someone will take it off your hands. We should make an effort not to destroy any guns. God kills a kitten whenever a firearm is destroyed. Those who like to destroy guns hate cats.:D

Anchors
10-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Auction it and donate the proceeds to CGF, pay it forward for free + PPT fee, or (this is the more selfish/easy option) go out to the desert and shoot it with some large-caliber rifles until it's destroyed beyond recognition and even if it isn't destroyed it will make an interesting reoccurring target/safe conversation piece.

Rekrab
10-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Hell, I'd want one of those just for the curiosity factor. The idea of having a gun made IN California is just too amusing to pass up.

Provided, of course, that it is made in California and not Nevada.

...I also think it's a pretty snazzy looking pistol. >.>

monstertodd
10-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Hell, I'd want one of those just for the curiosity factor. The idea of having a gun made IN California is just too amusing to pass up.

Provided, of course, that it is made in California and not Nevada.

...I also think it's a pretty snazzy looking pistol. >.>

Yea, it's a Costa Mesa model. :D

Rekrab
10-13-2010, 11:58 PM
What parts are broke on it? >.>

Maybe I'll pay your gas to OC Armory <,<

GŁnter
10-14-2010, 12:08 AM
"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Freagan
10-14-2010, 12:15 AM
More pics for the curious! :D

Masterdebater
10-14-2010, 12:23 AM
ill take it, ill hang it on my wall

Flyin Brian
10-14-2010, 12:29 AM
This video explains it in detail...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pru2CqLXWoI

AJAX22
10-14-2010, 4:18 AM
I've actually repaired a couple of bryco jennings nine's so they were functional guns.

It's a .380 not a 9mm if thats part of your problem ;)

dont destroy it.... It CAN be made functional and given to someone who cant afford a decent home defense pistol.

cannon
10-14-2010, 7:24 AM
To the OP,

I had a horrible POS pistol of similar quality and posted a for sale ad for $50.00. I even warned everyone in the ad not to buy the gun as it was worthless.

Member Nick bought it and I received many other offers for it. Seems there is a large group here on CalGuns who like to fix and improve these horrible guns. They enjoy the challenge and improving their gunsmithing skills. Go figure.

Just post an ad for the thing. Sell it stupid cheap and one of these guys will buy it and be happy to have it. You will get it out of your name and be rid of it. A win-win.

ZX-10R
10-14-2010, 8:13 AM
You give it to someone broken and just in shambles.

Hippo
10-14-2010, 8:20 AM
I'd remove the firing pin and mount it. It would be an awesome conversation piece that always starts with you kicking it.

jaymz
10-14-2010, 8:25 AM

Please don't participate in gun buybacks.

CSACANNONEER
10-14-2010, 8:34 AM
Either do like cannon did and warn potential buyers or contact http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ and see if they'll give you anything for it.

nn3453
10-14-2010, 8:46 AM
Gift it to some poor kid (who is legal to purchase) after suitable disclaimers. Heck, I remember many cheap C&R guns I repaired and shot when I was a broke kid living off of ramen and frosted flakes.

CSACANNONEER
10-14-2010, 8:50 AM
Gift it to some poor kid (who is legal to purchase) after suitable disclaimers. Heck, I remember many cheap C&R guns I repaired and shot when I was a broke kid living off of ramen and frosted flakes.

Dude, at least you could afford Ramen! Once, back in college, I was so broke, I could not afford to buy a bag of rice! All week, I was forced to eat, trout, striped bass, wild duck, wild boar and venison without any side dish!!!!

winnre
10-14-2010, 9:02 AM
Put it on gunbroker, you may be surprised.

monstertodd
10-14-2010, 9:08 AM
Here are some pics for your perusal.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71922&stc=1&d=1287075670
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71923&stc=1&d=1287075683
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71924&stc=1&d=1287075692
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71925&stc=1&d=1287075700

So here is what I think is wrong with it. I believe that the firing pin and spring is possibly broken, it doesn't seem to be actuating correctly. Also, when you pull the trigger, it doesn't seem to correctly move the linkage to move the hammer. Thirdly, the slide release button has a piece broken off. It doesn't seem to be affecting the operation of the slide release though. I also don't have any magazines for it. I did some research on it last night, apparently there is a whole subsection dedicated to these firearms. I guess they are kind of collectors items with a certain group of people.

AJAX22
10-14-2010, 9:19 AM
I think I know wha the problem is.

The litle piston thing that operates to release the striker has a pin through it that can slip in the bryco.

It looks like yours has slipped over about 1/16 of an inch or so..

Pull it out, drift it over slightly and try it again, the trigger bar that pulls it down is only held into place by the right side grip panel,

Make sure you have enough of the pin protruding on the right hand side to have the plunger activate when the trigger is pulled.

It WILL slip again, so yogic it long term you should heat up the pin with a pencil torch and sweat some dodder into it to hold it in place permanently (don't put heat into the plunger, just the pin)

Everything else looks in good shape.

AJAX22
10-14-2010, 9:21 AM
I should clarify, pull the piston ASSEMBLY out, to drift the pin you just need to lightly tap on it.

AJAX22
10-14-2010, 9:24 AM
And the pin may have slipped less than 1/16th....

It's hard to tell from the angle... It may have only slipped 1/64 or 1/32nd...

But you can see how it is obstructed on the left hand side,

littlejake
10-14-2010, 9:27 AM
Or if you don't want to support the gun grabber's philosophy of gun buybacks and allowing the PD to melt guns down, dismantle it as far as you can, then torch-cut the serialized part (normally the frame, though my XD is serialized on the frame, slide, and barrel) with three cuts, removing 1/4" of material with each cut.

If it's a handgun and it's registered to you, file an NLIP with the DOJ and throw away the parts.

To prevent the possibility of someone recovering and attempting to reweld the cut parts, I'd spread the parts into dumpsters in different areas of the city over the course of a few weeks so none of the parts will ever again end up in the same place at the same time.... but that's just being "too" careful.

Have you seen the NLIP as revised 02/2009? Reporting the destruction of a firearm requires verification and certification. The new NLIP provides only a limited set of circumstances -- most of which require some sort of documentation -- to remove the ownership record.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf

Having said that, I do not believe there is anything illegal with throwing away a gun as long as it is destroyed in a way that prevents its use as a gun again such as you describe.

monstertodd
10-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Here's some pics with the right grip panel taken off.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71930&stc=1&d=1287079249

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71931&stc=1&d=1287079260

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71932&stc=1&d=1287079269

AJAX22
10-14-2010, 10:18 AM
From the right side you can see how the mechanism works.

When the trigger is pulled, it pushes the little stick backwards, which nestles into the notch in the other little tab tha sticks down.

This converts the rearward pressure to downward pull on the plunger,

It is possible the trigger bar was not set correctly when the grip panel was installed (or it slipped while inside the grip....)

Try holding the trigger bar the other bar with a fingertip and seeing if the plunger goes down when you pull the trigger...

It may be that you can fix it by simply re-assembling it correctly (I would still drift and dodder the pin, because it is clearly drifting and it will eventually be a real problem)

It really is amazing how integral the grips are to the proper function of the bryco...

It's a horrible design. But fun to tinker on.

monstertodd
10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm unsure of what you mean by the trigger bar? What piece are you talking about?

AJAX22
10-14-2010, 10:23 AM
From the right side you can see how the mechanism works.

When the trigger is pulled, it pushes the little stick backwards, which nestles into the notch in the other little tab tha sticks down.

This converts the rearward pressure to downward pull on the plunger,

It is possible the trigger bar was not set correctly when the grip panel was installed (or it slipped while inside the grip....)

Try holding the trigger bar the other bar with a fingertip and seeing if the plunger goes down when you pull the trigger...

It may be that you can fix it by simply re-assembling it correctly (I would still drift and dodder the pin, because it is clearly drifting and it will eventually be a real problem)

It really is amazing how integral the grips are to the proper function of the bryco...

It's a horrible design. But fun to tinker on.

AJAX22
10-14-2010, 10:26 AM
The trigger bar is the long skinny thing that is horizontal and pivots from the upper right had corner of the grip.

It pivots up and back to press on the skinny black piece hanging down which then transfers the force into a pulling motion on the piston that releases the striker

gunn
10-14-2010, 10:27 AM

What's there not to love about a gun buyback? The reality of living in CA is that PD gun buybacks can and will happen whether or not you (or anyone else here in calguns) decides to participate or not. Just like the fact that you will NEVER get every gun (despite what pro guncontrol folks may want) out of the hands out of americans, there will always be gun buybacks in CA.

Every crap gun you give them ties up $50-100 more dollars the PD would have used to buy back a nicer gun (one that would have broken our hearts to see destroyed). Think of it as a Denial of Service attack :)

-g

monstertodd
10-14-2010, 10:31 AM
The trigger bar is the long skinny thing that is horizontal and pivots from the upper right had corner of the grip.

It pivots up and back to press on the skinny black piece hanging down which then transfers the force into a pulling motion on the piston that releases the striker

Ahhh, I see. Yea, I tried that before and for some reason it will not activate the plunger. There is a lot of slop in the mechanism.

monstertodd
10-14-2010, 10:34 AM
This video explains it in detail...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pru2CqLXWoI

I can't understand what this guy is saying?

AJAX22
10-14-2010, 10:42 AM

AJAX22
10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
It also requires pressure on the rearmost part of the transfer bar (the thing tha pulls the plunger)

The slop is necexary for the trigger bar to be able to 'pop' out of place to prevent the plunger from being held down continuously (full auto)

Greg-Dawg
10-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Put it in a plastic tub and drench with HCL.

jaymz
10-14-2010, 11:11 AM
What's there not to love about a gun buyback?
How about the fact that they don't reduce crime, yet the media will trample all over each other to get the "story" and demonize guns even more?

Every crap gun you give them ties up $50-100 more dollars the PD would have used to buy back a nicer gun (one that would have broken our hearts to see destroyed). Think of it as a Denial of Service attack :)

-g
How do you figure? Do they have two different lines at the buybacks? One for the "crap" guns and one for the "nicer" guns? First they buy the crappy ones, run out of money, then tell the folks with the nice guns to go home? :rolleyes:

Neil McCauley
10-14-2010, 11:39 AM

lmao, I think he meant the other definition of "throw away".

sigfan91
10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
What's there not to love about a gun buyback? The reality of living in CA is that PD gun buybacks can and will happen whether or not you (or anyone else here in calguns) decides to participate or not. Just like the fact that you will NEVER get every gun (despite what pro guncontrol folks may want) out of the hands out of americans, there will always be gun buybacks in CA.

-g

I like that line of thought.

We have to make sure we make a profit during the buy back rather than the gun grabbers. Then we can apply the funds toward a better gun. Think of it as a government subsidized upgrade program that converts your non-working gun (they don't know that) to a much better product.:D

Droc101
10-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Ill take it off your hands if you want. You're in my backyard

ke6guj
10-14-2010, 12:18 PM
How do you figure? Do they have two different lines at the buybacks? One for the "crap" guns and one for the "nicer" guns? First they buy the crappy ones, run out of money, then tell the folks with the nice guns to go home? :rolleyes:

If they have enough money to "buy-back" 100 guns and we don't flood them with crap guns, then they might get 100 nice guns turned in. But If we turn in 20 crap guns, then they only have enough money left to buy 80 nice guns. 20 nice guns tht might have been bought that day don't get bought because they ran out of money before they got to the front of the lime. It ins't that there is 2 lines, but that some crap gun sellers got into line before some of the nice gun owners and they run out of money before everyone gets paid.

jaymz
10-14-2010, 12:52 PM
If they have enough money to "buy-back" 100 guns and we don't flood them with crap guns, then they might get 100 nice guns turned in. But If we turn in 20 crap guns, then they only have enough money left to buy 80 nice guns. 20 nice guns tht might have been bought that day don't get bought because they ran out of money before they got to the front of the lime. It ins't that there is 2 lines, but that some crap gun sellers got into line before some of the nice gun owners and they run out of money before everyone gets paid.

I get what you're saying, but that's a lot of "ifs".;)

AJAX22
10-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Here's how this works guys...

If they have more guns lined up than money to pay for them, they say "Gee this was so effective we need aditional funds"

If they have more money than guns then the budget for buybacks get cut.

Classic use it or loose it government spending.

Those of you who have worked in government, or have worked for government contractors know what I'm talking about.

The only way to win in the long run is to not play the game.

peter95
10-14-2010, 1:28 PM
pm me what you got.... i might take it from your hands...

evidens83
10-14-2010, 1:50 PM
I'll take the Hi-Point of your hands :hide:;):D

CSACANNONEER
10-14-2010, 1:53 PM

If the crappy ones get there first, that's what they "buy". I took just under 20 POS parts guns (I was working at a gun shop and these were total POS parts guns from the back of the shop) to a buyback once. They had almost run out of gift cards and were limiting them to one per person. They did tell me thatt they would take everything I had but, I only gave them one parted out Glenfield .22lr with a receiver that was cracked in two but, looked functional. It was a shame to see about 1/2 dozen "nice" guns which had been turned in though.

Ricky-Ray
10-14-2010, 1:55 PM
I had a POS .22 rifle that would either FTF or FTE every other round no matter what ammo I used. I paid so little for it, it wasn't worth sending it back to see if anything could be done with it. In the end I just turned it into the PD for destruction and I have the paperwork to prove that it's no longer in my possession.

BigBronco
10-14-2010, 3:43 PM
I got a hundred bucks once for a single shot shotgun with a split barrel from the L.A. sheriff buy back program. Used it a walmart to buy ammo!

zman
10-14-2010, 3:48 PM
If you really wanna get rid of it, go with one of the guys here, who for one reason or another, always get into a "boating incident" :)

Cokebottle
10-14-2010, 5:58 PM
No magazine is going to be a problem.
They were 12rd... no 10rd magazines were made for it.

You'd have to find:

A - Someone with a magazine

Who is

B - Familiar enough with California laws to understand that they can legally sell you the rebuild kit

Then

C - Block it to 10rds.

"C" is easy. "A" is going to be hard. Adding "B" is really pushing the odds.

Zonie
10-14-2010, 6:02 PM

I'd just use a hacksaw.

Cokebottle
10-14-2010, 8:04 PM
I'd just use a hacksaw.
Effective, but not legal.

BATFE requires three torch cuts with 1/4" of material removed.
Using a hacksaw would allow someone to reweld it.
Yes, unlikely if you spread the 3 pieces across 3 dumpsters in 3 counties so they won't even end up in the same landfill.

Droc101
10-15-2010, 7:23 AM
No magazine is going to be a problem.
They were 12rd... no 10rd magazines were made for it.

You'd have to find:

A - Someone with a magazine

Who is

B - Familiar enough with California laws to understand that they can legally sell you the rebuild kit

Then

C - Block it to 10rds.

"C" is easy. "A" is going to be hard. Adding "B" is really pushing the odds.

Is there anything that says I can't take aluminum sheet metal and form it to make my own 10 round magazine? all I would need then is a follower and a magazine.

Swoop
10-15-2010, 8:42 AM
Intereeeeeerestinf

joedogboy
10-15-2010, 9:11 AM
LE gun buy back day. You can score $50 or more in cash or gift cards, and it gives you proof that it is no longer in your possession.

monstertodd
10-15-2010, 9:11 AM
Yea I'm kind of at a loss for words with this gun. Not sure what to do with it.

ponderosa
10-15-2010, 9:53 AM
1) Put if up for sale here and see what happens. Nothing to lose.

2) Or if you want to fix it, look into a gunsmith or tinker with it.

You could buy some mags and modify them to 10rds. I'm sure you could get some as parts kits from someone, somehow.

If it were me, I'd keep it and work on getting it fixed some day.

RedFord150
10-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Some people just want to get rid of something and not deal with any hassle or liability. While it would be nice to get $50 or $100 from buy-back, that is also a hassle. Bigger hassle if you live a long way away from a major city. I completely understand why the OP wants to trash it.
I saw Cokebottle's statement about using 3 torch cuts with 1/4" material removed. Maybe the OP has a friend that welds or owns a cutting torch. Watch your friend make the cuts, than take the remains to your local PD for disposal. If this does not release liability, I do not know what would.
I would be afraid that an intact gun might end up as a 'Throw Away' somewhere down the road. Yes, I believe most LEO are honest. I also live near LA, home of the 'Rampart Scandal'.
Good luck.

BlooDSMeaR
10-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Bryco Arms Jennings Nine.

:Ivan: I'll pay $20 plus DROS and fee's! :D

Cokebottle
10-15-2010, 7:17 PM
Is there anything that says I can't take aluminum sheet metal and form it to make my own 10 round magazine? all I would need then is a follower and a magazine.
Not a problem at all if it's something you have the ability to do.

RTE
10-15-2010, 7:42 PM
ill take it, ill hang it on my wall

Put it in a shadow box with the words break glass in case of intruder :D

Someday I'll finish this wall hanger
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/gallery_imgs/1279952305/gallery_4554_28_30670.jpg

AJAX22
10-15-2010, 7:47 PM
Put it in a shadow box with the words break glass in case of intruder :D

Someday I'll finish this wall hanger
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/gallery_imgs/1279952305/gallery_4554_28_30670.jpg

I WANT IT!!!!

demil/reweld?