PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Colt Series 70 Govt model

porky
10-13-2010, 9:24 PM
Ok- I was trying to steal my brother's Colt 45 after I just bought a Norinco 1911 the other day.

Turns out it is a series 70, and it shoots"like dog poop" according to my brother. However, it seems that he is actually pretty attached to it and doesn't want to let it go. He took it into town and basically received the advice not to touch it as the value would be compromised-

Can he put in a Bar Sto barrel and bushing and have a gunsmith complete a "reliability" package without ruining the value?

This assumes keeping all the original parts for collector value-

Or- does internal work:de-burring etc. (not replacing parts) constitute enough modification to ruin the value?

What is the prevailing opinion on this issue- Is a 1978 Colt even THAT collectible- our cousin carried it on duty for years before gifting it to my brother-

Thanks for the opinions-

Cyc Wid It
10-13-2010, 9:27 PM
Having the work done by a well known smith should enhance the value. If it's not new in the box, it doesn't have much collector's value anyway. I would go ahead and make it run well.

fonzy
10-13-2010, 9:54 PM
We have to know what kind of government model. Is it a Combat? a Match? Just a regular government model..I'd dig into it right away. Especially if it was already carried and shot. You can got to this forum for the experts. Place a picture and the first couple numbers from the serial they can tell you what it's worth.

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

GW
10-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Essentially, its a used gun
Have a good gunsmith tune it up and then go have a ball shooting it

porky
10-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah- its not a commander or match -its a G70 serial number SBPD carry piece-

But again whatever the value-would it have less value with a replacement barrel and reliability package?

Cyc Wid It
10-13-2010, 11:02 PM
It should have more... it's got minimal "collector's" value at the moment. Just don't cut into the slide/frame if you think you'll resell it.

porky
10-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks -will take it to Jim Hoag next week with my Norky!

Cyc Wid It
10-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Depending on what you have done by Hoag, you can probably recoup a good amount of your custom work costs when you resell it. For less famous smiths, custom work doesn't really add any value. Then again, after shooting it, you probably won't want to sell it.

*edit* Hoag works on Norincos?

porky
10-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Its a 1911 Norinco- 5100 steel frame and slide- he has no problem with me turning into an IDPA shooter-This is an example of a Norinco 1911 9mm(Hoag square trigger guard is the giveaway).
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt218/elchorizo/2347489.jpg
I'm sure he'll be more happy to work on the series 70!

JRJCP
10-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Yes, custom work doesn't really add any value. Install new Bar Sto barrel with ramp will ruining the value. Reliability Package will not ruining the value.
Reliability Package:
Adjust & polish extractor
Check ejector
Extra power recoil spring & firing pin spring
O/S firing pin stop
Polish feed ramp
Polish slide internal ways & tunnels
Check all three safeties

BigRich
10-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Installing a Bar Sto barrel will not diminish the value of a gun as long as the original parts are kept and the feed ramp is not cut away. When you fit a barrel you do the work to the barrel and not the gun. If you installed the original sloppy Colt parts back in it no one would know anything different. One thing for sure, if the Bar Sto barrel is properly fitted it will improve the accuracy of the pistol. As you are a pistolsmith I am surprised you would say that.

porky
10-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks for all the kind advice- my brother doesn't want to do anything to "cut" into the gun so if its just barrel and bushing, it seems that (from the advice so far) its ok as long as original parts are kept-

Also- if he were to "cut" into this piece, it has limited collector value anyway because its fairly common and available(at least out of state), right?

I can always count on calgunners to give great advice- I post here over the 1911 forum-;).

Colt
10-14-2010, 7:30 AM
If the right pistolsmith (like the guys here: www.louderthanwords.us) does the work, the value could go up considerably - of course the cost of the custom work is not low, either...