PDA

View Full Version : Colt Trooper Mark III 6" 357mag ... Need some input...

Alexjr1967
10-13-2010, 7:08 PM
Ok so I have a line on a Colt trooper mark III 357 mag blued 6" that seller claims about 95-98% on the finish and does not come with any paper work or box also does not have the original grips rather it wears some packmyer grips...

My questions is what a fair price on this gun? I tried looking at gunbroker but not many of these there to compare to... Looked through Calguns and only found one that was offered for sale and the seller asked for $350 and calgunners were lined up around the corner at that price...

I've read revues on the gun... all good but it is referred to by some as the poor mans python ... Which is fine by me just want to make sure I'm not over paying ... The gun hasn't been produced since 82' and is no longer on the roster which adds to its appeal ... The guy is asking 550...

Thoughts on the gun or price is what I'm looking for... Thanks

jptopz
10-13-2010, 7:40 PM
Great gun I pick one up a few months ago. I got mine in trade so there was no price put on it. I would offer the guy $500 for it, but $550 would be fare price in my eyes.

22popnsplat
10-13-2010, 7:45 PM
The mark III is different from the early version troopers that did have the same internal parts as a python , I have a excellent 4 inch version that I have taken to the range once . I have thought about selling it and my starting price would be $550 so its a matter of how much you like it . on its one range trip i was shooting some mild .357 hand loads on steel plates at 25 yards and the accuracy was excellent .

BillCA
10-14-2010, 2:23 AM
I owned one of these back in the mid-70's.
It really is a great piece of work by Colt. It's large enough to dampen some of the .357 recoil, but still agile and quick to point (especially the 6"). Most of the ones I've seen or fired were extremely accurate. Firing one alongside my ex-wife's Colt Python, it was hard to tell the difference at the target end (okay, so the Trooper's groups were 1/4" bigger...eh.)

I'd say that $550 is a decent price if the gun looks to be lightly used with only slight storage wear or some light holster wear. I'd expect the finish to still be dark and bright (with a touch of plum coloring evident for the age of the gun). You'll find the Colt trigger stacks up near the end like most Colt DA wheelguns, but you will learn to work with it easily.

Personally, I wish I'd never sold mine instead of selling it to buy another revolver.

beerman
10-14-2010, 5:52 AM
After putting about 1,000 rounds thru my brothers back in the late 70s,I bought one as my 1st handgun in about 1980. Shot it,and luved it untill I got bit by thr 1911 bug in the early 90s and sold it to finance a gold cup.Well...I kicked my self for offing it and in about1998,I stumble in to my local gunshop and low and behold,there lies a NIB ,6" nickle (still had the hang tags)MKIII identical to my old one..serial number 20 guns apart! I gave $400 for it.Now I dont shoot this one,Its just to purdy. But I will say,these shoot as nice or better than any of my smiths. Its heavy,but accurate.I am the MKIIIs biggest fan! At $550,I would grab it...$500 even better

cmichini
10-14-2010, 6:31 AM
That's a good price for 95%+ condition.

I'd snap it up if it were me. I have a 4" version and love it.

Also, IMO - $550 for a Colt anything in that condition sounds like a good deal to me.

ragenmoan
10-14-2010, 6:54 AM
who's the guy selling the "Tropper"? i'll offer him $575 for it!!! my first firearm was a 4" Tropper MkIII. loved it, was stolen, miss it and want another....

den888
10-14-2010, 7:03 AM
$550 is pretty fair, here in CA. I had a .22 LR version, which I sold. Great guns.

Andy Taylor
10-14-2010, 7:05 AM
$550 is a fair price for one, and if I were in the market for one, I would be willing to pay that here in CA.
It is not the poor man's Python. The original Trooper is the poor man's Python.
The MKIII (& MKV)Trooper is a completely different revolver. It replaced the original Trooper because the cost was to high to produce the original Trooper at the price point they wanted.
That said it is a fine weapon, and probably a bit tougher than a Python, but not Ruger tough. A friend of mine carried a 6" MKIII as a duty weapon for many years and it served him well.

Alexjr1967
10-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the input... Looks like I'm going to try and secure a deal ... I'll post updates

If anyone else has thoughts on the gun feel free to chime in always good to hear stories from the good ole days...