PDA

View Full Version : Best caliber for camping

ROTC sniper
10-13-2010, 6:26 PM
Hey guys....thinking about getting a pistol to carry when camping in the woods. Just wanted to get opinions about 10mm vs .357mag vs .357sig vs .44mag.

I have never owned a wheel gun and they don't really appeal to me. If I did, I was thinking about the Ruger GP100, good inexpensive workhorse.

I like glocks so I was thinking about the glock 20: 10mm. Can get them fairly inexpensively. I like the capacity and apparently the punch is just as good as a .357mag or better.

I would use strictly for camping/hunting in the bush as my sidearm....then again...when was the last time I went camping...can we say years?

I use my glock 34 for full size competition and have a 4" XD9 for compact competitions but want to switch that out for a glock 19, so if any of you has one that wants to switch, let me know....then again, that's a different section.

So what do you guys think? Which one would you buy? Or would you just carry a pistol grip SG with slugs in your backpack.

Thanks in advance....

Bellehood
10-13-2010, 6:30 PM
im pretty fond of a pump.

that being said, if you want a handgun, and you can get glocks cheap, get that 10mm, its a glock, I dont think anything you come up against will stand up to a full mag of 10's, let alone 1 or 2.

RobG
10-13-2010, 6:33 PM
Hey guys....thinking about getting a pistol to carry when camping in the woods. Just wanted to get opinions about 10mm vs .357mag vs .357sig vs .44mag.

I have never owned a wheel gun and they don't really appeal to me. If I did, I was thinking about the Ruger GP100, good inexpensive workhorse.

I like glocks so I was thinking about the glock 20: 10mm. Can get them fairly inexpensively. I like the capacity and apparently the punch is just as good as a .357mag or better.

I would use strictly for camping/hunting in the bush as my sidearm....then again...when was the last time I went camping...can we say years?

I use my glock 34 for full size competition and have a 4" XD9 for compact competitions but want to switch that out for a glock 19, so if any of you has one that wants to switch, let me know....then again, that's a different section.

So what do you guys think? Which one would you buy? Or would you just carry a pistol grip SG with slugs in your backpack.

Thanks in advance....

Can't go wrong with that choice. Put some Buffalo Bore 180 grain rounds and you are set for just about anything that goes "bump in the night."

The Original Godfather
10-13-2010, 6:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of Glock, but for a versatile round and tough gun that isn't super expensive, I can't see a better option than a Glock in 10mm.

10mm is a nice happy medium. Get a 180gr or 200gr. Same weight as a .45 but faster moving and more energy transfer (should help in penetration). And the fact that it's a semi auto (and can pack 10rds at a time) and not a revolver is a plus as well...

c good
10-13-2010, 6:45 PM
Wheel guns are hard to beat in a camping environment. Anyone can use it. No buttons to push, no jams to clear. Just point and pull the trigger. .44 Mag is a versatile round. Lots of heavy loads for big threats.

A friend of mine told me to never carry anything smaller than ones waist size. :D HTH c good

THT
10-13-2010, 6:48 PM
Glock 20 gets my vote. Full power 10mm has the terminal ballistics that rival .41mag, you get 15+1 capacity, and Glock reliability. Shoots nice and flat too (12" drop at 100yds).

ander
10-13-2010, 7:06 PM
A 20 is nice if you have larger hands. The higher priced ammo shouldn't be a problem for you since you say it won't get much use. Controls will be familiar.

That said, get a .357 :)

Brian2217
10-13-2010, 7:12 PM
It's a tuff choice. I do own a Glock 20 and love it, I also own several 44's love them to. It all depends on what I'm doing in the woods. My biggest incounter in the woods has always been rattlesnake. This is why, I like the wheelguns for snake load option. I like the semi-auto for capacity and easy of carrying. So you really can't go wrong with either, they both have there pros and cons.

racky
10-13-2010, 7:17 PM
my vote is a .45 colt

SLYoteBoy
10-13-2010, 7:30 PM
If your going to camp , especially on like Estate , I would say AA12 with G18 akimbo /w sleight of hand , cold blooded , steady aim.

shooting4life
10-13-2010, 7:51 PM
If a pistol something in 10pm if a revolver then get either 44 mag or 45lc

Heiko
10-13-2010, 8:03 PM
I own one revolve and consider it an essential for any gun safe. I have a 4" S&W 686. To use a toolbox analogy, it's my hammer. Every tool box should have one . It's solid, packs a wallop, and will go bang without issue every time. It's a great round and a benefit is the option of packing some snake shot if you should have to dispatch a snake in the woods.

Bill Steele
10-13-2010, 8:23 PM
If bears are an issue where you will be heading, I personally would not rely on 10mm. In bear country something like the Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull with Corbon Hunter, is a lot more protection. The Alaskan is heavy (you won't be enjoying it if were lighter), but compact and penetration will not be a concern.

For just about all other needs, a Glock in 9mm and some of that hot Double Tap stuff should be plenty.

jptopz
10-13-2010, 8:51 PM
There was a question about this a wile back 357 VS 45 for backpacking I believe. Most people said that the 357 was the best choice. That being said if you are not a wheel gun guy, and love Glocks you can pick up a 357sig and for a little more get a interchangeable barrel to 40cal or 9mm to a have a cheaper ammo option. I have a Glock model 31 witch fits the bill.

igorts
10-13-2010, 9:00 PM
G29 for me, G20 seems to be too big for me. 10mm is sweet round
Wheel gun with .357 works too. Used to carry .44mag, overkill.:)

NationsMostWanted
10-13-2010, 9:17 PM
What caliber to use against bears?

axhoaxho
10-13-2010, 9:34 PM
Thanks in advance....

Another vote for the GP100. It is a all-around use-it-and-forget-it workhorse. I trust my 4" stainless steel GP100 more than another other guns I have.

Regards,

robcoe
10-13-2010, 9:45 PM
What caliber to use against bears?

9mm works fine, as long as you dont really like the person you go camping with.

Realisticly, a .357(sig or magnum) should do the job fine, 10mm glock would do well to. Basicly dont expect a handgun of any type to protect you from a bear, but it will do fine for mountan lions and for 2 legged preditors. For a bear, I would not go with anything less than a 12ga or 7.62x54.

NationsMostWanted
10-13-2010, 9:57 PM
9mm works fine, as long as you dont really like the person you go camping with.

Realisticly, a .357(sig or magnum) should do the job fine, 10mm glock would do well to. Basicly dont expect a handgun of any type to protect you from a bear, but it will do fine for mountan lions and for 2 legged preditors. For a bear, I would not go with anything less than a 12ga or 7.62x54.

I thought a 9mm would work for mountain lions or foxes? It might tickle a bear lol

Rogu3
10-13-2010, 9:59 PM
I'm not a big fan of Glock, but for a versatile round and tough gun that isn't super expensive, I can't see a better option than a Glock in 10mm

Roger that. 10 mm equals or betters .357 energy with heavier/wider bullets

mnh327
10-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Ok, maybe a stupid question.. but is it legal to carry a handgun when camping? Anyone know the laws regarding this?

I seem to remember it being specifically illegal in national parks. And why would it be any different at a campsite than any other place in Kalifornia?

NationsMostWanted
10-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok, maybe a stupid question.. but is it legal to carry a handgun when camping? Anyone know the laws regarding this?

I seem to remember it being specifically illegal in national parks. And why would it be any different at a campsite than any other place in Kalifornia?

Thought it's legal in the tent or site

Rogu3
10-14-2010, 1:51 AM
Yup, sure is legal. Not sure about the parks though.

YourHuckleberry
10-14-2010, 2:07 AM
Wheel guns are hard to beat in a camping environment. Anyone can use it. No buttons to push, no jams to clear. Just point and pull the trigger. .44 Mag is a versatile round. Lots of heavy loads for big threats.

A friend of mine told me to never carry anything smaller than ones waist size. :D HTH c good

+1

Do yourself a favor and drop "glock" from your lexicon

here's your sweetheart:

http://www.gallatinarms.com/SMITH_WESSON-Smith_Wesson_329PD_44_Mag_4_Titanium.html

Bulleh
10-14-2010, 6:08 AM
If your going to camp , especially on like Estate , I would say AA12 with G18 akimbo /w sleight of hand , cold blooded , steady aim.

Oh man... I can't believe I know what you're talking about lol.

Anyway, back to the topic.

There are some things you may want to consider when choosing your weapon. The things that come naturally to us casual shooters may not be for someone with little or no experience when handling an auto loader. I'm talking about basic things such as cocking the gun, no limp wristing, safeties etc. Should SHTF and someone other than yourself need to use your gun, revolvers are the simplest, reliable choice.

I'd op for the GP100 as you stated. Plenty enough firepower anyone can use a revolver. Point, and pull trigger.

cineski
10-14-2010, 7:11 AM
Definitely a Glock 20/29 or Ruger GP100 or .44 wheel gun of some flavor. For the 48 states a Glock 20 is more than adequate and is flat out fun to shoot. The Glock will be the lightest of the bunch.

cmace22
10-14-2010, 8:04 AM
50 Beowulf pistol!

http://www.umlautarms.com/images/AlexanderArms/pistol/SPIKE-50B-P700.jpg

My first choice seeing how i live in California would be a G29/20 in 10mm. Not a fan of wheel guns and 10mm should cover you on almost all the threats you may encounter....

den888
10-14-2010, 8:05 AM
My camping gun would be a 4" or 6" .357 magnum, as you should shoot .357 magnum, .38 special and .38 special snakeshot, if needed. Very versatile.

jptopz
10-14-2010, 8:23 AM
If you are concerned about bears the last thing I would do is shoot it. A wounded bear even if fatal can get to you before it dies. I carry bear spray in one hand and my pistol in the other. First try to scare it by making noise then spray and last resort shoot at it.

YourHuckleberry
10-14-2010, 11:11 AM
If you are concerned about bears the last thing I would do is shoot it. A wounded bear even if fatal can get to you before it dies. I carry bear spray in one hand and my pistol in the other. First try to scare it by making noise then spray and last resort shoot at it.

"Breaking news: Camper gets eaten, strong smell of pepper in the air..."

I kid I kid

But honestly in a real life situation, chances are the opportunity to do all three will not present itself. If you make it to the spray step, then you are within 15 feat and the the bear will either bug out or...:grilling:

aaronraby1
10-14-2010, 11:23 AM
smith and wesson 500.

Droc101
10-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I love a 357 revolver for camping myself. Nothing to go wrong with it in grimy dusty environments. As for the one in favor of saving the bears by pissing it off with spray, have you ever gone bear hunting? Seen one at a full gait? A grizzly car run at up to 35mph, thats 51 feet a second. The max effective range on a bear pepper spray is 30 feet. I'd rather drop it and have the meat, I'll season it after. :)

00cummins4x4
10-14-2010, 11:41 AM
I carry a .45LC Vaquero with Buffalo Bore 325 gr. 1325 f.p.s. 1267 ft. Lbs is hard for any animal you come across to argue with.

cmichini
10-14-2010, 12:50 PM
If you plan to use a caliber less than 44 mag for a bear, make sure you file the front sight off it so it doesn't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your....

Seriously though, excluding bears, I think GP-100 is a great choice. Like its been said before - powerful, anyone can use, and unless it experiences some sort of rare catastrophic failure it will go bang on every pull.

Snapping Twig
10-14-2010, 5:56 PM
This is what I take when I go camping. It's got Trijicon sights for evening issues.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P8180025.jpg

I typically switch out the rounds at night from my hunting load of 265g GCSWC to a more sedate 250g SWC moving somewhere in the neighborhood of 900fps. Less flash, recoil and basically equivalent to a .45 colt.

Here's what the 265g bullets look like.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/PC020006.jpg

All lined up, sized and lubed, looking for their cases. :)

I move them at 1200fps which is EK's favorite velocity - and I can see why.

racky
10-14-2010, 6:13 PM
I carry a .45LC Vaquero with Buffalo Bore 325 gr. 1325 f.p.s. 1267 ft. Lbs is hard for any animal you come across to argue with.

that round won't shoot of the new vaqueros :(

00cummins4x4
11-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Nope. New Vaqueros need not apply.

ruddogg
11-02-2010, 11:05 AM

LOL - Can't wait for Black Ops to come out next week.

CALATRAVA
11-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I personally am a proponent of a multi-layered thought process when camping

1. Practice smart food storage and clean-up using bearboxes, or your vehicles interior
2. Never cook in the place you intend upon sleeping in
3. Do not wear pungent perfumes or colognes
4. Be aware of your surroundings, and any animal sign
5. Let a ranger or a family member know where you are, and when you'll be back
6. Carry a sidearm that you/your wife are familiar with and shoot well for 2-legged social work. (a campsite is an extension of your home, and carrying is permitted in most places, check your local laws to be sure)
7. Carry bear spray ON YOUR PERSON because your handgun is NOT going to stop a bear unless you are very, very lucky...
8. Possibly carry a longgun in your truck/car for more dire circumstances(for example, I'd always have a longgun like a .45-70 or 12ga if I was in grizzly bear country or on a hunt where the kill is stored near camp) but be aware, most situations do not require it, and it's likely won't be able to be carried/used to make it useful.

just some thoughts...:)

ruddogg
11-02-2010, 11:37 AM
^ HAAHAA LOL

maddoggie13
11-02-2010, 11:38 AM
357 mag...

21SF
11-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Fail!!!

Cant equip two secondary weapons at the same time.

map
11-02-2010, 11:50 AM
.357 mag. but that's cus i like wheel guns.

moleculo
11-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I have both pistols and revolvers. I use the revolver when hiking/camping. To me it always seems like you get dirt in everything when you're camping. I like a simple, stainless revolver that I know will just work when I pick it up. Also, snake shot is an important consideration, especially in the summer months. I used to carry a S&W 686 .357mag but it was just too damn heavy, especially if you've already got a bunch of other gear that you're carrying on a hike. I changed to a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. It's lighter, smaller and hits plenty hard enough to knock down anything in SoCal that I'm going to encounter. And it didn't cost a fortune, so I won't cry when it gets banged up in the field.

drunktank
11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
From my perspective, buying a semi would be selling myself short due to not being able to really use snake shot (and camping is when I'd want to have it handy the most). I'd also want a .44 magnum over a .41 or 10mm with full house loads if I'm worried about 4 legged critters.

What areas do you go camping? That would really help define your needs.

bondmid003
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
10mm all the way because there are so many different loads out there to fit just about any need. That and it comes in a semi-auto and one of the prime platforms for the caliber is the G20. I bought a G20 at the end of last year and couldn't be happier.

NorCal Mtn Flyer
11-02-2010, 1:35 PM
Remember the story of the guy who shows up for a guided excursion in Alaska. His guide asks him what type of sidearm he has brought.

The camper proudly shows him a brand new 9mm (insert your make here) and says he is ready!

The guide reflects for a minute, and then suggests that the camper may want to file the front sight off the 9mm.

"Why would I want to do that? It's brand new!"

The guide responds, "So it doesn't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your *****!"

Take a gun big enough to do the job...

RedFord150
11-02-2010, 1:39 PM
The real question is;
'How many guns do you want to own?'
If you don't mind buying a different gun for every need, I would say .41 mag or .44 mag or .45 LC in revolver and 10mm in Semi-Auto.
If you want a more versatile gun, I would say go with .357 mag in Ruger GP100 or S&W 686. Yes, this is a 'lesser caliber', but you will probably have more uses for it. You can find some pretty good .357 loads that should suit your needs. Most of us think a good all around .357 mag in 4" or 6" is a 'must have' for any real shooter.
I personally would not want to battle a bear with any HG. 12 gauge with slugs would be my preference.
I am seeing a trend on CG to buy a gun for every possible situation;
'Take out the trash' gun, 'taking a shower' gun, CCW in Speedos gun, camping gun, ccw in winter clothes gun, stash in my truck gun, hide in my BMW gun, etc.
Personally, I cannot afford to own or practice with that many guns. I have to limit my collection to those guns that can 'multi task'.
Good luck.