PDA

View Full Version : LEO AR/AK Pistol purchase question

Astig Boy
10-13-2010, 2:51 PM
Being a LEO can get around the CA handgun roster. But what about for the AR or AK pistol? How do they go about purchasing a AR/AK pistol with out the single shot exemption as well? I know they still need a bullet button considering it would be an AW without one. And does a threaded barrel make a difference? Curious to know the answer to this one.
Sorry if this has been discussed before. The search on this forum doesn't work to well. If there is a thread then please link me. TIA!

voiceoftheright
10-13-2010, 3:22 PM
Once a pistol is transfered as a single shot it can be made semi auto legally, at least with my MPA mini that was the case. Basically, once you have a bullet button you can use your 10 round mags after you get it from your FFL, the single shot is just what the transfer is done under.

Astig Boy
10-13-2010, 3:30 PM
I understand how the single shot exemption works. I am curious to know how a LEO can get around the single shot exemption as well...considering they would like to buy a AR type pistol that has a barrel shorter then 6".

NiteQwill
10-13-2010, 3:49 PM
All they do is buy a lower as a handgun.

voiceoftheright
10-13-2010, 3:55 PM
Ya, it's not that LEO's are really any different here, anyone can get one of these pistols and then use them semiauto with 10 round mags.

ren
10-13-2010, 4:15 PM
wont their department chief have to sign off on it if they don't want the maglock?

voiceoftheright
10-13-2010, 4:31 PM
wont their department chief have to sign off on it if they don't want the maglock?
Not sure about this. I'm pretty sure that it would need to be work related and would be registered an AW, which obviously an AR/AK pistol isn't for a duty gun. My father got a letter from his Chief but it was for his AR rifle. Maybe if the chief was REALLY cool...but doubtful.

Quiet
10-13-2010, 5:13 PM
Being a LEO can get around the CA handgun roster. But what about for the AR or AK pistol? How do they go about purchasing a AR/AK pistol with out the single shot exemption as well? I know they still need a bullet button considering it would be an AW without one. And does a threaded barrel make a difference? Curious to know the answer to this one.
Sorry if this has been discussed before. The search on this forum doesn't work to well. If there is a thread then please link me. TIA!

I understand how the single shot exemption works. I am curious to know how a LEO can get around the single shot exemption as well...considering they would like to buy a AR type pistol that has a barrel shorter then 6".

Single-shot configuration = exempt from approved list. [PC 12133(b)]

Employed as a CA LEO = exempt from approved list. [PC 12125(b)(4)]

The non-approved listed handgun can not be configured as an assault weapon.
So, a CA LEO can DROS the AK/AR pistol with a magazine lock & 10 round magazine, instead of as a single-shot pistol, because being a LEO is the exemption.

Astig Boy
10-13-2010, 6:23 PM
So, a CA LEO can DROS the AK/AR pistol with a magazine lock & 10 round magazine, instead of as a single-shot pistol, because being a LEO is the exemption.

Thanks! That is what I wanted to hear.
Does the threads on the barrel need to be turned down or brake welded to cover the threads? Or are LEO exempt from having thread barrels on their pistols?

ke6guj
10-13-2010, 6:30 PM
Thanks! That is what I wanted to hear.
Does the threads on the barrel need to be turned down or brake welded to cover the threads? Or are LEO exempt from having thread barrels on their pistols?

no and no (unless it is registered as an AW).

Key point in Quiet's post is "with a magazine lock", with that, the threaded barrel doesn't matter.

Astig Boy
10-13-2010, 6:47 PM
no and no (unless it is registered as an AW).

Key point in Quiet's post is "with a magazine lock", with that, the threaded barrel doesn't matter.

Sweet! Thanks for the replys! :)

So can a LEO dros a mag locked pistol with a 30rd magazine?...since LEO can legally own hi-cap mags.

ke6guj
10-13-2010, 6:48 PM

So can a LEO dros a mag locked pistol with a 30rd magazine?...since LEO can legally own hi-cap mags.

no, because a semi-automatic pistol with a fixed mag of more than 10-rounds is an AW.

look at the handgun AW flowchart. It goes over all of this.

the only thing tht LE status does is exempt the LEO from the roster, not the AW laws (unless he gets letterhead to register that AR-pistol as an AW).

GolfNGlock
10-13-2010, 6:52 PM
Looking for a Glock 30 Gen 3, Low milage.
Hopefully in the Orange County area.
Tom

voiceoftheright
10-13-2010, 7:06 PM
Looking for a Glock 30 Gen 3, Low milage.
Hopefully in the Orange County area.
Tom

That's awesome! Wrong friggin' place, dude! Jesus!

7anthony7
10-13-2010, 7:44 PM
You need to get a letter for a registered assault weapon from the chief. That is the only way. Once you have the letter you can get whatever options you want, but can not sell it to a non leo without a letter.

armygunsmith
10-13-2010, 8:01 PM
I saw an LEO with an AR pistol at my range last weekend. Didn't have a mag lock on it. He must have tried really hard to get that approved on Dept. letterhead.

08duramax
10-14-2010, 12:09 AM
I doubt it.

SJgunguy24
10-14-2010, 1:03 AM

Yes, that would be a legally registred assault weapon.

Single-shot configuration = exempt from approved list. [PC 12133(b)]

Employed as a CA LEO = exempt from approved list. [PC 12125(b)(4)]

The non-approved listed handgun can not be configured as an assault weapon.

That is the answer right there.

The second you use a 30 round mag in a mag locked pistol your a felon. I know it's easy and nobody will turn you in but that doesn't make it right or legal.

I saw an LEO with an AR pistol at my range last weekend. Didn't have a mag lock on it. He must have tried really hard to get that approved on Dept. letterhead.

Sounds like you watched a LEO commit a felony. Did you get it on tape? Maybe if a some cops go down for these BS laws we can get them changed a little faster. Agencies can't afford to hire and train new cops if they start having to fire cops do to prison terms for AW violations.

Astig Boy
10-14-2010, 10:45 AM
The second you use a 30 round mag in a mag locked pistol your a felon. I know it's easy and nobody will turn you in but that doesn't make it right or legal.

So, Pistol + Mag Lock + Legal Hi Cap + LEO = Felony
That just doesn't correct to me. Wouldn't a mag lock now make the AR pistol fall under the same guidelines of a regular handgun...since the pistol is now configured to no longer fall under an AW, I thought a LEO can now use his legally owned hi-cap mags in a regular handgun?
If the magazine was drop free, then I can see where that would make it illegal.
I don't know...Im just confused about this and would like to know the legalities. :confused:

NiteQwill
10-14-2010, 10:58 AM
So, Pistol + Mag Lock + Legal Hi Cap + LEO = Felony
That just doesn't correct to me. Wouldn't a mag lock now make the AR pistol fall under the same guidelines of a regular handgun...since the pistol is now configured to no longer fall under an AW, I thought a LEO can now use his legally owned hi-cap mags in a regular handgun?
If the magazine was drop free, then I can see where that would make it illegal.
I don't know...Im just confused about this and would like to know the legalities. :confused:

No, since the magazine is located OUTSIDE of the pistol grip, regardless if you are a civilian, LEO, whatever, you are limited to 10 round LOCKED magazine.

redmantis3
10-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Would the above discussion also apply to a SIG 556 Pistol??? An LEO could DROS it w/a mag lock & 10 rd mag?

Astig Boy
10-14-2010, 11:37 AM
No, since the magazine is located OUTSIDE of the pistol grip, regardless if you are a civilian, LEO, whatever, you are limited to 10 round LOCKED magazine.

Got it. Just to checkin to be reassured. Thanks for the replys! :D

CSACANNONEER
10-14-2010, 11:42 AM

I'd be willing to bet that it was either a RAW or an illegal AW which was manufactured from a legally purchased lower by someone who thinks he is above the law.

ocspeedracer
10-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Got it. Just to checkin to be reassured. Thanks for the replys! :D

These laws sometimes get to be too much. I think of it this way a, mini-14 bone stock with a BB (if you could equip it to a mini-14) can now only accept 10 round mags in CA, put a 30 round in it=illegal.

ocspeedracer
10-14-2010, 11:45 AM
I'd be willing to bet that it was either a RAW or an illegal AW which was manufactured from a legally purchased lower by someone who thinks he is above the law.

Frankly, I don't care even if he manufactured it illegaly, glad someone can play with the fun stuff... I just hope they remember that when it comes to voting and inforcing these BS laws.

Quiet
10-14-2010, 2:15 PM
Would the above discussion also apply to a SIG 556 Pistol??? An LEO could DROS it w/a mag lock & 10 rd mag?

Yes.

DerGlock
10-14-2010, 4:11 PM

Was he in uniform?

Sounds like you watched a LEO commit a felony. Did you get it on tape? Maybe if a some cops go down for these BS laws we can get them changed a little faster..

That's a great idea. Why stop at LEOs? Lets try to film everyone at the range, find anything that COULD be a violation (ofcourse we can't be sure, so lets just make assumptions) and turn them in!

voiceoftheright
10-14-2010, 4:40 PM
That's a great idea. Why stop at LEOs? Lets try to film everyone at the range, find anything that COULD be a violation (ofcourse we can't be sure, so lets just make assumptions) and turn them in!

I agree. Are you guys really upset when you see someone run a 30 round magazine and honestly think they should be arrested? Perhaps its that type of thought process that has led us to such absurd laws, the mere acceptance of them. I'm not saying break the law, but to hope someone gets arrested for having 20 more rounds in their magazine is so retarded. I know, "it effects us all", but this is California...they will impose whatever bans they can regardless of compliance. Afterall, how many "assault rifles" are used in crimes as opposed to small caliber pistols? Whatever...to each their own.

762.DEFENSE
10-14-2010, 6:21 PM
I don't understand how a LEO can legally buy/own high cap magazines, yet you're saying they'd be a felon for having 30 rounds in an AR Pistol?

I don't see the difference if a LEO owns a Glock 17 and has a magazine of 18 rounds, but can't have an AR Pistol with 30 rounds?

ke6guj
10-14-2010, 6:33 PM
I don't understand how a LEO can legally buy/own high cap magazines, yet you're saying they'd be a felon for having 30 rounds in an AR Pistol?yes.

I don't see the difference if a LEO owns a Glock 17 and has a magazine of 18 rounds, but can't have an AR Pistol with 30 rounds?the difference is that the AR-pistol has a fixed magazine and if it is 11+ rounds, it is considered an AW. put a maglock on his Glock17 and if used an 18-round mag, it would be an AW as well.

Shadowdrop
10-14-2010, 6:40 PM
The difference is where the magazine attaches to the pistol. A magazine that inserts into the pistol grip = regular capacity allowed. Any other type of magazine attachment = 10rd mag limit. The law does not specify any LEO exemption.

Anchors
10-14-2010, 7:28 PM
Some people find it so hard to believe that some of these dumb gun laws apply to police officers as well.

AK/AR pistols must ALWAYS be mag-locked since the magazine is outside the grip.
Any mag that is locked must be 10 rounds or less. Always. Period.
Again, any fixed magazine (which is what the lock does) must be under 11 rounds, regardless if you own 20x 100-round drum mags. You can't use them in your mag-locked pistol. Ever.

The only exception would be department letterhead with a supervisor signing off for a non-mag-locked AR/AK pistol, which I highly doubt really ever happens.
Or if you were not in the state of California.

1911su16b870
10-14-2010, 7:56 PM
FWIW CA Chief's letters are not easy to obtain.

762.DEFENSE
10-15-2010, 7:13 AM
So retarded...

Astig Boy
10-15-2010, 12:36 PM
So retarded...

HAHHAHA!
QFT!
:D