View Full Version : Dependant Military trying to buy gun! HELP!

10-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi! I am currently a military dependant whose home is in Texas, my D/L my voting registration, etc all are in Texas. I am stationed in California b/c of my husband's orders. I work in California, do not pay taxes in California. I am getting mixed reviews on if I can or cannot buy a gun in California. I was told that b/c I am in the state of CA b/c of his orders that I should be able to take his orders to dealer and be able to purchase, I had another tell me unless I have a CA D/L that I can not...any ideas? I am hoping to purchase a gun in California! Help please!

10-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Military orders will only help your husband... if you're living off base you can use your PGE or Comcast bill as secondary proof of residence or a Ca car registration.

All these things will require you to get an ID or drivers license.

Other option is you buy a gun when you're in texas and bring it back with you

Good luck

10-13-2010, 3:53 PM
Your easiest bet will be to purchase a firearm in Texas and transport the firearm back to California. Handguns are only available for purchase by residents of the STATE in which you live. The only way to get a handgun in any STATE is to be a resident of that state. NICS check will verify that, so there's no way around it. Long guns are easier, still requiring a NICS check. Under USC 922 (B2) (B3) You may purchase a long gun in any state (if you are legally allowed) UNLESS STATE LAW/PRECLUDES SALE TO A NON-RESIDENT. I am not familiar with California Law, so a visit or a call to a local gun shop will clear that up.

I am an FFL Dealer in Arkansas, hope this helps.

10-14-2010, 8:56 AM
Still have to have a Cali ID card or Drivers License for long gun