PDA

View Full Version : Bay area laptop repair recommendations?

xsquid
10-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I've got an older Dell E1705 that is no longer charging or for that matter, taking power from the battery. Can someone recommend a place in the bay area for repair that's good and reasonable price wise?

Boarding-Team-Leader
10-14-2010, 7:51 PM
Clickaway.
http://clickaway.com/

blakdawg
10-14-2010, 8:10 PM
Central Computers - http://www.centralcomputers.com

2DoorImpala
10-14-2010, 8:11 PM
Check the battery is its not dead, dead battery will not charge or give. Laptop battery's die quick

Just-in
10-14-2010, 8:35 PM
Been Here myself had an LCD replaced good guy.

http://www.efx-computer.net/
click away never called me back with a quote like they said they would central computer has too many bad reviews for my taste.

thedrickel
10-14-2010, 9:51 PM
The battery is probably dead. Order a new one on ebay.

xsquid
10-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Battery is only a couple months old. Funny thing is that it still shows 33% of charge but if I unplug the adapter - the laptop dies.

The battery is probably dead. Order a new one on ebay.

gunn
10-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Battery is only a couple months old. Funny thing is that it still shows 33% of charge but if I unplug the adapter - the laptop dies.

It sounds like the charging circuit.
* The problem with laptops (and most other products nowadays) is that most places you go will only do a board/module level repair... and unlike ipods/iphones, there's a myriad of different boards out there so finding an exact replacement part for an older system may be problematic.

* Before bringing it in for a diagnostic that you have to pay for consider the following:
-- what does a new sytem board or a parts system online (say with a broken LCD) cost? If you bring that system into a shop, what will they charge you to replace the system board?

-- how much will a newer system cost you? My last laptop purchase for my mom had a 15.5" LED backlit widscreen LCD screen, 260GB HDD, 3GB ram, a dual core CPU (who cares about the speed nowadays), and a DVD burner.. all for <$400.

I could have gone smaller but my mom would have *****ed about the size of the screen. The only downside is that the battery is relatively short lived compared (2.5 hours compared to 4+ that my current work laptop can do -- but the work laptop was 3-4x more expensive) and there's no built in webcam (who knew that old people like these things).

You may find that a system that meets your needs can be had for ~$300.. and if you can sell the parts of you old system for <$80, the ROI on a repair probably isn't there...

IMO, if the screen is good, SOMEONE out there will pay $50+ for the pile of parts. I sold a PIII or PIV subnotebook from Sonyas recently as a year ago sans RAM + HDD for $50 (primarily for the screen).
-g

xsquid
10-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Gunn - thanks for the reply. If it requires a board level swap - I can do that myself. But yeah I've weighed the option/cost of just buying a new system. Other than being tied to the charger and limited to 2gb of RAM the ol E1705 works pretty darn well for a 4 yr old system.