PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Cobra Derringer?

Boltz
10-12-2010, 8:20 PM
Saw one of these in 22LR at P2K today and was amazed at how small they are. I am totally interested in getting one of these now just because of the cool factor. It seems to work well enough for what it is after watching some youtube videos, but I'd like to hear what anyone else thinks about them :cool:

45DAVID1
10-12-2010, 8:25 PM
Saw one of these in 22LR at P2K today and was amazed at how small they are. I am totally interested in getting one of these now just because of the cool factor. It seems to work well enough for what it is after watching some youtube videos, but I'd like to hear what anyone else thinks about them :cool:

What do you want it for? HD, concealed carry, cool factor? It's a waste for HD and ccw unless you can be certain you would kill the person with the 2 shots at a close proximity to yourself. Anything beyond 15yds and the accuracy is gone. For cool factor alone they are ok but I'd go for the Freedom Arms .22 mini-revolver if I were you.

Sajedene
10-12-2010, 8:27 PM
AMAZING! I was about to make a thread about it because my co-worker wanted to buy her first handgun and was interested in a Derringer because it is "affordable and cute!"

Yeah, I am working on that.

thedrse
10-12-2010, 8:37 PM
I love mine! Got the .38 tho, .22 just don't do it for me. A couple Glasers in there and it gives me *just enough* of a warm and fuzzy feeling. Way better than carrying around a hammer in your back pocket ;)

89 Vision
10-12-2010, 8:57 PM
I had a Davis .22lr derringer some years ago. It was well made and cheap, I imagine the new Cobra's are pretty similar. It was reliable, but don't expect to do any target shooting with it. In fact, even at 15 feet, you couldn't really call the shot patterns "groups", they were just all over the paper. On the other hand, I've heard good things about the big-bore derringers being relatively accurate. What shop has these now? I've been looking for a while to get another one as a conversation piece and novelty.

Boltz
10-12-2010, 9:36 PM
I would be getting it for the cool factor. It's the smallest gun I've seen yet and costs just over $100. I know that it's not a very practical gun and am well aware of its range and accuracy limitations, hence the nickname belly gun. And I saw it at Project 2000 in El Cajon.

Though the Freedom Arms mini-revolver looks pretty cool and more practical, revolvers just don't hit the spot for me. Derringers do though :chris:

railroader
10-12-2010, 9:39 PM
I don't have a cobra but I had a davis 38 special derringer which I think is pretty much the same gun. It was reliable and had a very heavy trigger. I couldn't shoot it accurately but for a belly gun it would be fine. Just remember it has to be manually cocked every time to be fired. To me one in 22lr would be kind of a waste. I wouldn't take it to a gunfight and it would be pretty useless for plinking. Mark

bwiese
10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I have a Cobra in 38Spl.
Bought it for giggles.
It works. It's a good bathrobe gun.

IntoForever
10-12-2010, 10:35 PM
My aunt has a Derringer .38 which I've shot a few times. Was a fun novelty kind of gun and it's extremely accurate at 3 feet. Hopefully I'm in the will for it as promised, just don't mind the wait. The Stockade in Westminster has them, in various colors and calibers for about $150... but don't qote me on the price. http://www.fowler-stockade.com/