PDA

View Full Version : Why some people shouldn't be allowed at the range

SexPistol
10-12-2010, 8:17 PM
I've always thought hand gun renters should be evaluated of their capability, now I am I firm believer after this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ubFoytuno&NR=1

.. sorry if this the wrong thread.

45DAVID1
10-12-2010, 8:20 PM
I've always thought hand gun renters should be evaluated of their capability, now I am I firm believer after this video..

Tragic event but how do you suggest they "evaluate" their capabilty? The range owners are businessmen and not psychotherapists.

Kodemonkey
10-12-2010, 8:25 PM
As long as there is a 10 day waiting period this will continue to happen.

gorenut
10-12-2010, 8:27 PM
Yea, old news. She was some religious nut who wanted to use her son as a martyr. Its pretty sad if you go to the son's Myspace, he was very happy with his life and looking forward to his future, had a girlfriend, etc.

LloydXmas250
10-12-2010, 8:36 PM
Without trying to sound too harsh about this, it's a horrific thing that happened, but absolutely nothing should be done. Adding a step to renting a gun at a range is just another rule that burdens us responsible gun owners, and is adding to the growing gun restrictions in our society. And what could they really do? They already have it so that you have to have someone else there with you so there's no suicide. Would they now make it three to avoid a murder-suicide? It's an extremely unfortunate event that should never have happened but taking others' rights away is not the answer.

sequoia_nomad
10-12-2010, 8:39 PM
Tragedy, pure and simple. Not every terrible thing in this world can be prevented though. Drunk drivers cause many, many times more senseless deaths in this country every year than mentals at shooting ranges, or guns period. I'd rather see drivers being evaluated for capability before being allowed behind the wheel.

gorenut
10-12-2010, 8:40 PM
Yea, at most gun ranges can just have people sign out the waiver and make sure people aren't horseplaying in the range.

manuelcardenas77
10-12-2010, 8:44 PM
Crazy religious fanatics see there all the same!

89 Vision
10-12-2010, 8:51 PM
Wow, that was terrible. I used to work at a shooting range. A few months before I started working there, there was an incident where a customer had rented a gun, and attempted suicide right in the shooting lanes. There was a big lawsuit which had my boss stressed out for awhile. Soon after, new rules were implemented about not letting single shooters rent guns. We had to turn away some business because of that. But thinking about it later, it was probably the best idea, as some of those single shooters that came in were a bit "touched in the head."

buuddha
10-12-2010, 8:56 PM
Crazy religious fanatics see there all the same!

In one way or another.

PS
they're

HCz
10-12-2010, 9:17 PM
As long as there is a 10 day waiting period this will continue to happen.

IIRC this was not from California, but Florida

(I'm assuming that the video was where mother shot her son in the back of head)

Droc101
10-12-2010, 9:19 PM
So Sad. It looks like this was from awhile ago.

shortround1
10-12-2010, 10:05 PM
We lose rights because of crazies like this. Another nutcase who will prompt knee-jerk legislation to make it worse for normal folks who just want to legally target practice at the range.

iareConfusE
10-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Thats where our duty as responsible gun owners comes into play. Even though it isn't our job to police and regulate what goes on in a shooting range, if the activities of an amateur are putting other people's lives at risk, we should be stepping in to at least inform the amateur of their mistakes, and hope that they correct them. If they continue to demonstrate carelessness and a lack of concern for other's safety, then you should immediately speak to an RSO that can have the delinquent removed.

Events like this are unfortunate, but they were planned in advance. It would be nearly impossible to spot an event like this, and prevent it from happening. The best we can do is just regulate what we can see happening in our presence.

SexPistol
10-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Tragic event but how do you suggest they "evaluate" their capabilty? The range owners are businessmen and not psychotherapists.

Capability*

And I would suggest they see if a renter know's basic safety of using a fire by a small test or something. And your right, range owners are businessmen so having something like that happen would drastically effect your business so it would be helpful to them.

The Original Godfather
10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Without trying to sound too harsh about this, it's a horrific thing that happened, but absolutely nothing should be done. Adding a step to renting a gun at a range is just another rule that burdens us responsible gun owners, and is adding to the growing gun restrictions in our society. And what could they really do? They already have it so that you have to have someone else there with you so there's no suicide. Would they now make it three to avoid a murder-suicide? It's an extremely unfortunate event that should never have happened but taking others' rights away is not the answer.

I agree.

Terrible and tragic incident indeed, however, what more could've been done to prevent this? At least in CA, it's pretty tough to get lunatics in a shooting range to rent guns. I guess this is just an example of a freak accident/exception to the rule; we can't prevent everything.

robcoe
10-13-2010, 10:30 AM

I dont think a safety test is going to prevent a religious nutjob from murdering someone at a shooting range.

if you mean psychologically evaluated, it would have to be done every time they entered the range, meaning a couple of hours with a psychiatrist every range trip. Nobody would go, and the range would close.

Though this does illustrate why I dont let anyone stand behind me with a gun, you never know when someone might do something stupid.

45DAVID1
10-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Capability*

And I would suggest they see if a renter know's basic safety of using a fire by a small test or something. And your right, range owners are businessmen so having something like that happen would drastically effect your business so it would be helpful to them.

Capability*
she proved her CAPABILITY by putting a bullet in the back of her kids head. What would a basic safety test accomplish in that situation? From the video she was very safe. She kept her finger off the trigger until she was ready to fire. She pointed her firearm only at her intended target(s). So really, she followed all the basic firearm safety points except she off'd her kid and herself.

bjl333
10-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Its very sad. She is a nut job, and she would've done him in with or without a gun. Very very sad !!! RIP to her son. :angelsad2:

BamBam-31
10-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Still horrifying to watch.

But this lady could have easily accomplished the same thing with a car. Just sayin'.

shortround1
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Still horrifying to watch.

But this lady could have easily accomplished the same thing with a car. Just sayin'.

That's true, or a knife, a pen, a hammer. And since this was pre-conceived, there was no way for the range workers to know or filter for these people.

BluNorthern
10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
That's gonna haunt me for awhile. You can't legislate against or do anything to prevent crazy acts like this one. I just wish they'd leave innocents out of their final solutions.

Colt-45
10-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Some tragic things in life can not be prevented. Some nut-job anti-gun legislation groups do not understand this.

The women could've just as easily used a knife, rat poison, a rope, a car etc.

ZombieTactics
10-13-2010, 11:35 AM
We should immediately pass a law requiring all shooting ranges to not allow crazy people.

There ... that'll fix it.

Kodemonkey
10-13-2010, 12:02 PM
IIRC this was not from California, but Florida

(I'm assuming that the video was where mother shot her son in the back of head)

Okay, point taken. But suicide at the gun range is becoming more popular in CA. Every range I have been to has had a least 1 suicide. It's a way to get around the 10 day waiting period. It would be impossible to quantify how many lives have been "saved" by the 10 day wait. But I really wish that if you are going to commit suicide - do it at home and don't endanger and emotionally scar a bunch of people.

None of this is directed at you personally, by the way...

shortround1
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Zombie Tactics will put forth a tutorial video demonstating first-hand the kind of craziness we should look out for. :43:

Ascout
10-13-2010, 12:14 PM
How was she disarmed? It's fairly amazing she didn't get drilled by other shooters if anybody happened to witness it.

Kodemonkey
10-13-2010, 12:16 PM
How was she disarmed? It's fairly amazing she didn't get drilled by other shooters if anybody happened to witness it.

She killed herself after she killed him.

shortround1
10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
According to the news story, she turned the weapon onto herself.

aaronraby1
10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
religion is stupid. yeah, i said it.

BostonFan
10-13-2010, 12:24 PM
The guy standing there should have shot her imo.

glockman19
10-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Title of the thread should be changed to:

People who shouldn't be able to reproduce.

Bellehood
10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
at my Local Shooting Range/Gun Store, 2 individuals shot and killed themselves with rented handguns, several years apart, the 2nd happening a few years ago. After the second one, the range implemented the rule that if you come to the range, wanting to rent a handgun, not already in possession of one of your own, you have to be with someone. Anyone, but someone. I believe their reasoning is that your not going to come to the range with your friend/sibling/parent/ect and kill yourself. It sucks that it exists, but I'm not particularly bothered by it, I understand.

GlockBlocker
10-13-2010, 1:58 PM
so where's the religion control lobby?

Munk
10-13-2010, 2:24 PM
old, sad, news.

If i remember right, one of our fellow calgunners worked there. Apparently she had already been banned some time before, but they didn't have a real "system" for spotting people who've been banned, so she still wound up getting a gun in her hands.

Stupid people do stupid things, and it's unfortunate she shot her targets in the wrong order. (him then her)

That poor bastard next to them looked pretty shaken up too (in the longer video which isn't the one linked) and he kinda freaks a bit.

BearArms
10-13-2010, 9:14 PM
:( Sad to see a young man die and sucks for the people who were there that day and had to see this.

This is one of the reasons I won't shoot at a range that rents guns. Not just because crazies can walk in and rent one, but because people who have never shot anything before can walk in and rent one as well and even if they aren't crazy, they can just be stupid and kill an innocent in the lane next to them. Crazies can obviously buy guns too and bring them to a non-renting range but probably less of a chance. Whenever I go to the range I kind of evaluate everyone there as I walk by and see their proficiency, attitude and what kind of threat they could be.

scarville
10-13-2010, 9:53 PM
I recall reading about that. It was a tragedy but, frankly, I don't see how making it harder for me to rent a gun at a range is remotely related to some faith-based fruitcake committing murder.

HCz
10-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Okay, point taken. But suicide at the gun range is becoming more popular in CA. Every range I have been to has had a least 1 suicide. It's a way to get around the 10 day waiting period. It would be impossible to quantify how many lives have been "saved" by the 10 day wait. But I really wish that if you are going to commit suicide - do it at home and don't endanger and emotionally scar a bunch of people.
IIRC a lot of suicides happened at ranges after Northridge earthquake. When economy sucks and things look bleak there is increase in such attempts. This is true even for states that do not have 10-day waiting period.

None of this is directed at you personally, by the way...
Don't worry. ;)

J-cat
10-14-2010, 7:58 AM
We should immediately pass a law requiring all shooting ranges to not allow crazy people.

There ... that'll fix it.

Or make special facilities where crazy people can be crazy.

BamBam-31
10-14-2010, 8:22 AM
Or make special facilities where crazy people can be crazy.

AKA The "off topic" discussion lounge. :)