PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Introduces SR40

Rugerdaddy
10-12-2010, 7:00 PM
Ruger introduced their new SR40 .40 S&W similar to the SR9 and Sr9c. I just bought the Sr9c and really like it, but the new 40 is a little too heavy for my tastes at 27oz. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr40/index.html

JamminJ
10-12-2010, 8:45 PM
I've been hoping they would come out with this gun. I liked the feed of the SR9 but prefer the .40 chambering.

I'm a buyer on the first day of availability. Any idea how long it will take to get added to the roster?

nosuchagency
10-13-2010, 6:46 AM
...Any idea how long it will take to get added to the roster?

meh, they announced the lcr .357 back in mid-may and it still doesn't appear to have made it to the list. and that's a revolver...

ZombieTactics
10-13-2010, 6:57 AM
Clearly, Ruger will not be happy until they have all my money. :rolleyes:

JamminJ
10-13-2010, 7:10 AM
I contacted Ruger to ask about CA approval, here's the reply:

Comment / question:
Just wondering if you plan on getting the SR40 added to California's roster of approved handguns. If so, any idea of the time frame involved in getting it approved?

Response:
I understand it is currently being tested. Please check back with us at a later date for results. If you should need further assistance please call our Service Department at 928/778-6555 between 8:00 - 4:00, Monday thru Friday, at a time convenient for you. A Ruger Representative will be happy to help you.

So it should be along fairly soon. The SR9c was announced Jan 5, shipped Jan 15 and made it to the list on Feb 3. The blackened slide version made it on Mar 17. So it looks like a month for the stainless version and maybe 2 1/2 for the blackened.
:D

redhemi
10-13-2010, 8:32 AM
I have the SR9 and the SR9c I like both of them. I'm not a big fan of the 40cal but I would like to shoot the SR40 if it handles nicely I just might have to pick one up. The SR9c was on the approved list in Feb. but did not start getting to the SOCAL stores until May. I know I was waiting and checking my local gun stores until tuners said they had them and I went and bought it. Its my understanding that the SR40 is available outside of CA. but only comes with 17 round mags and you know Ruger is not going to make 10 round mags for it until its approved in CA.

JamminJ
12-06-2010, 8:53 PM
Look what just showed up on the CA roster:

BSR40-10L (Black) / Polymer frame; Alloy Slide Pistol 4.15" .40 S&W 12/1/2011

Looks like they should be along shortly. :cool:

Rugerdaddy
12-06-2010, 9:09 PM
Excellent! Any bets on whether we see a SR40C soon? :)

Javi
12-06-2010, 9:22 PM
Excellent! Any bets on whether we see a SR40C soon? :)

Haha, I was about to ask how long it would take for that one to come out :D

redhemi
12-07-2010, 7:23 AM
Well now that its approved I'm going to have to start selling stuff, pawning stuff, getting the money back that people owe me so I'll be ready to get one when they hit the stores. :willy_nilly:

p1choco
12-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Look what just showed up on the CA roster:

BSR40-10L (Black) / Polymer frame; Alloy Slide Pistol 4.15" .40 S&W 12/1/2011

Looks like they should be along shortly. :cool:

If I'm reading the code right, this will be with a black slide not stainless? I REALLY want one in stainless.

Rugerdaddy
12-15-2010, 8:48 AM
If I'm reading the code right, this will be with a black slide not stainless? I REALLY want one in stainless.

Yep. For now it's just the black one. Maybe Ruger didn't want to pay for both to be on the Roster, or maybe there's just a delay for some reason on the stainless slide model. You can email Ruger and ask them. They'll respond pretty quickly. I recently asked them if they planned a California LCP, the answer was "No", of course.

CAL.BAR
12-15-2010, 8:59 AM
Now exactly which Rugers are allegedly on the list? I just went to "the list" http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

and the Mfg. Ruger is not even mentioned. What's the deal?

Nevermind, they have it listed under "Sturm, Ruger"

Blackhawk556
12-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I think my next handgun will be a ruger. I've never really considered the sr9

Rugerdaddy
12-16-2010, 4:53 PM
Now exactly which Rugers are allegedly on the list? I just went to "the list" http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

and the Mfg. Ruger is not even mentioned. What's the deal?

Nevermind, they have it listed under "Sturm, Ruger"

Sturm Ruger. I made the same mistake. Look in the S section.

Our posts passed in the great internet void.... Glad you found it.

Rugerdaddy
12-16-2010, 4:57 PM
I emailed Ruger Customer Service and asked about their plans for a SR40C. They wrote:

"I am not aware of any plans at this time for any new products / calibers. I will pass on your request though for consideration. We do appreciate your interest and your input."

Well, at least they didn't say ""No".

kTC xDEICIDEx
12-16-2010, 7:41 PM
Ruger SR40 yes oh yes you will be mine 

p1choco
12-18-2010, 9:47 PM
HA! Just checked the list. The SR40 in stainless is on it now! Got to put one on order.

JamminJ
01-20-2011, 7:04 PM
Officially announced the blackened slide and California versions today:

Line Extension of Ruger SR40 Pistol
The NEW SR40 Pistol is now available in an alloy steel slide version with Nitridox Pro Black finish. Both the original stainless slide model and the new black slide model also are available in 10 round state compliant versions and are currently available in California.

The SR40 features a slim, narrow glass-filled nylon frame with a short trigger reach, reversible back strap for arched or flat configuration, and fully ambidextrous controls. The slide is either through-hardened, stainless steel or blackened alloy steel, depending on the model.

The SR40 features a 4.1" long barrel, fully adjustable 3-dot sight system, and an integral accessory rail. It also offers modern safety features such as a visual and tactile loaded chamber indicator, striker blocker, trigger safety, magazine disconnect, and a frame-mounted ambidextrous manual safety.

The SR40 weighs 27.25 oz, (with an empty magazine) and ships with two fifteen-round flush-fit magazines or two ten-round flush fit magazines where required to comply with state or local laws and regulations. An anti-friction coating applied to the magazine body greatly reduces the force required to load the magazines to full capacity.

I'm ready to buy!

p1choco
01-20-2011, 7:39 PM
Officially announced the blackened slide and California versions today:

Line Extension of Ruger SR40 Pistol
The NEW SR40 Pistol is now available in an alloy steel slide version with Nitridox Pro Black finish. Both the original stainless slide model and the new black slide model also are available in 10 round state compliant versions and are currently available in California.

The SR40 features a slim, narrow glass-filled nylon frame with a short trigger reach, reversible back strap for arched or flat configuration, and fully ambidextrous controls. The slide is either through-hardened, stainless steel or blackened alloy steel, depending on the model.

The SR40 features a 4.1" long barrel, fully adjustable 3-dot sight system, and an integral accessory rail. It also offers modern safety features such as a visual and tactile loaded chamber indicator, striker blocker, trigger safety, magazine disconnect, and a frame-mounted ambidextrous manual safety.

The SR40 weighs 27.25 oz, (with an empty magazine) and ships with two fifteen-round flush-fit magazines or two ten-round flush fit magazines where required to comply with state or local laws and regulations. An anti-friction coating applied to the magazine body greatly reduces the force required to load the magazines to full capacity.

I'm ready to buy!

Me too! I'm hoping I have enough money from my tax returns to pick one up. I had my heart set on a gp100 until I met the SR40 :)

spencerhut
01-20-2011, 7:48 PM
It's a little bit wider than the SR9, not much, but you can see it when you hold them side by side. Ruger rep I talked to said they could have made it the same size as the SR9, but the recoil was a little much so it needed the extra weight on the fatter slide.

WWDHD?
01-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Usually the SS version of pistols are a bit less than the blue, but these have the same MSRP($525). Not sure which one I like better. If the street price is about the same or less than the Beretta PX4 I want I'll check it out for sure.

WWDHD?
01-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Just exactly what makes this gun the "easiest recoiling, smoothest shooting .40"?

KenP
01-20-2011, 11:25 PM
I am officially excited.. this will be my first .40

deebix
01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
low recoil because of the low bore axis

WWDHD?
01-21-2011, 1:09 PM
So this SR40 will recoil less than a Sig or HK USP, which seem to have a rather high bore-axis (to me anyways)? Why didn't they think of this?

gumby
01-21-2011, 3:26 PM
Striker fired instead of hammer fired.

TKM
01-21-2011, 4:44 PM
Let me know when the SR10 comes out.

I already have one Ruger 10mm., I could use another.

Rugerdaddy
01-23-2011, 2:45 PM
Let me know when the SR10 comes out.

I already have one Ruger 10mm., I could use another.

What 10mm pistol did Ruger make?