PDA

View Full Version : WWII pistol, PTP transfer?

89 Vision
10-12-2010, 4:06 PM
Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy a pistol off of a friend. He said it belonged to his great uncle, and was left to him when his great uncle passed. The gun was his service pistol during WWII. I don't believe this pistol has ever been registered to him. In fact he's not even sure if his great uncle had it properly registered. So my question is: will we run into problems when trying to do the PTP DROS?

Ron-Solo
10-12-2010, 4:19 PM
No worries. Registration is not required, and you just need to do a PPT at your FFL of choice.

Quiet
10-12-2010, 4:21 PM
Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy a pistol off of a friend. He said it belonged to his great uncle, and was left to him when his great uncle passed. The gun was his service pistol during WWII. I don't believe this pistol has ever been registered to him. In fact he's not even sure if his great uncle had it properly registered. So my question is: will we run into problems when trying to do the PTP DROS?

No problems will arise due to it being unregistered, because it is legal to own an unregistered handgun in CA.

Pretty much "mandatory" handgun registration didn't start until 1991.

When you go to PPT the handgun, you (the buyer) will be registered as the new owner and your friend (the seller) will be noted as the former owner, during the DROS process.

Donkeypunch0420
10-12-2010, 4:52 PM
Awesome, thank you guys.