PDA

View Full Version : Comp AEK on its way. Review to follow

Droc101
10-12-2010, 4:04 PM
I bit the bullet and went on to Apex's website to look at the DCAEK. I noticed that they had another kit, called the Comp AEK, for only $10 more. As soon as it arrives Ill give the review. I did have the pleasure of finally shooting a DCAEK and I was quite impressed. We will see if the extra 10 makes a big difference.

Shenaniguns
10-12-2010, 5:52 PM
I hope you're not using this on a carry gun.

45R
10-12-2010, 5:54 PM
Looking forward to reading the review!

Droc101
10-12-2010, 5:55 PM
I hope you're not using this on a carry gun.

In fact it is my UOC. Why is that a bad thing?

Shenaniguns
10-12-2010, 6:56 PM
In fact it is my UOC. Why is that a bad thing?

I wouldn't want to carry a gun with a 3# trigger personally and if you read their site:
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid36.html

APEX M&P Competition Action Enhancement Kit (Comp AEK)

Apex Tactical Specialties is proud to introduce it's new *Competition Action Enhancement Kit.
Designed for the action shooting sports competitor, our drop in kit will yield a consistent sub 3 lb trigger pull. Whether the game is IDPA,USPSA or Steel Challenge our Comp-AEK will withstand the rigors of high speed competition.

The kit contains:

Apex Hard Sear
Apex Ultimate Striker Block kit
Apex Competition striker spring
Apex Competition sear spring
Apex Competition trigger return spring
Apex Aluminum Slave pin for installing the Trigger Return Spring
Our competition striker spring and trigger return spring are shot peened to extend service life.

*For competition use only - NOT FOR DUTY/CARRY OR SELF-DEFENSE APPLICATIONS

iareConfusE
10-12-2010, 7:56 PM
Yeah, the competition trigger pull will be a little too light for a carry gun. Even the DCAEK borders a trigger that is nearly too light and is too easily pressed. You may want to just switch over to the DCAEK, it's plenty light enough to get you shooting excellent groups.

Droc101
10-12-2010, 9:24 PM
Doesn't the gun only fire if you put your finger on the trigger? I don't know, personally if I am pulling a gun an a target, be it paper or flesh, I have already made the decision that i'm pulling the trigger. My finger stays off of the trigger until I am ready to fire as well. Thirdly, as this is my UOC gun, I have to have even more conviction behind the fact that I am going to shoot something, or someone, due to the extra steps needed to make the weapon lethal (taking out and loading the magazine and racking the slide). Just my personal thoughts. After range test though I may find I agree with you and switch to carrying my new glock (currently in 10 day jail).

leelaw
10-12-2010, 9:29 PM
For competition use only - NOT FOR DUTY/CARRY OR SELF-DEFENSE APPLICATIONS

He said it's for UOC - it's not being used for self defense.

Droc101
10-12-2010, 9:31 PM

lol, ya unfortunately it takes an act of god for ccw here

Shenaniguns
10-13-2010, 3:23 AM

Why would on UOC without the intent to possibly use it? That's silly and dangerous, btw there is a lightened striker spring that may or may not cause light primer strikes which is another reason it is not recommended for CARRY.

Droc101
10-13-2010, 7:41 AM
I believe what he was talking about is the fact that uoc makes the effectiveness of carrying far less than say ccw or loc. It was a joke.

Shenaniguns
10-13-2010, 8:07 AM
I believe what he was talking about is the fact that uoc makes the effectiveness of carrying far less than say ccw or loc. It was a joke.

Sorry I'm not privy to UOC type stuff lol

Fobjoe
10-13-2010, 10:51 AM
looking forward to your review. I've always been a fan of ~3-4 lb triggers...I'm on the fence about getting an M&P9 with thumb safety and APEX upgrade. I would use it mostly for target (obviously) but i would like to use it occasionally for carry. I tried the DCAEK last friday and was impressed. I was hoping it would be a tad bit lighter but all the "experts" seem to say lighter triggers are bad for carry. Aren't most 1911's at about 4 lbs anyway?

Shenaniguns
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
looking forward to your review. I've always been a fan of ~3-4 lb triggers...I'm on the fence about getting an M&P9 with thumb safety and APEX upgrade. I would use it mostly for target (obviously) but i would like to use it occasionally for carry. I tried the DCAEK last friday and was impressed. I was hoping it would be a tad bit lighter but all the "experts" seem to say lighter triggers are bad for carry. Aren't most 1911's at about 4 lbs anyway?

I guess you missed the part where Apex themselves do not recommend it or what I said above, "btw there is a lightened striker spring that may or may not cause light primer strikes which is another reason it is not recommended for CARRY."

An option for you is to get the sear and USB w/o the trigger return spring for a ~4 pound trigger pull.

Droc101
10-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Shenaniguns has a good point if the lightened spring does have the effect of making the gun less reliable. I wonder what the effect wuld be if you changed all but the spring. Can't wait to get it in the mail.

Shenaniguns
10-13-2010, 12:29 PM
And there's no saying that it won't ignite 99% of the time, but one problem I had with my M&P with the original older striker was 2 failures to fire with RWS ammo which did ignite on the second attempt. The newer striker has a heavier spring and a slightly heavier striker that I have in there now and have no problems.

Droc101
10-19-2010, 2:18 PM
Comp AEK has arrived and I will be installing tonight. I should be able to range test on Sunday.

Droc101
10-22-2010, 11:28 PM
What Came with it:
Apex Hard Sear
Apex Ultimate Striker Block kit (with sight tool)

Ok so I was notable to install till tonight but I am happy to report on what I have found thus far.
Before the upgrade the trigger was gritty with a hard, snappy break and a rather long pull and reset. This resulted in the nose of the gun dropping, probably why I have been shooting low (aside from the fact that I was trigger slapping).
During the install, I only had issues with removing the coil pins, and reinstalling the trigger assembly (darn spring return spring fell off of the slave pin and there were a lot of holes to line up). The striker block has a teeny tiny spring so make sure that if you install this at home it is not over carpet, I speak from experience.
After the install, dry fires were short, crisp, and clean. The break was significantly lighter, although not to the point that I would be afraid of it unintentionally going off, even if I was under stressful circumstances. The reset is much more pronounced (heavier return spring).
In conclusion, I am happy with the investment and can not wait to see how it performs on the range. It will be interesting to see if I experience any light primer taps as I have seen other member point out. If it performs as well range side as it does dry firing I will give the upgrade two thumbs up.

Shenaniguns
10-23-2010, 7:42 AM
What Came with it:
Apex Hard Sear
Apex Ultimate Striker Block kit (with sight tool)

Ok so I was notable to install till tonight but I am happy to report on what I have found thus far.
Before the upgrade the trigger was gritty with a hard, snappy break and a rather long pull and reset. This resulted in the nose of the gun dropping, probably why I have been shooting low (aside from the fact that I was trigger slapping).
During the install, I only had issues with removing the coil pins, and reinstalling the trigger assembly (darn spring return spring fell off of the slave pin and there were a lot of holes to line up). The striker block has a teeny tiny spring so make sure that if you install this at home it is not over carpet, I speak from experience.
After the install, dry fires were short, crisp, and clean. The break was significantly lighter, although not to the point that I would be afraid of it unintentionally going off, even if I was under stressful circumstances. The reset is much more pronounced (heavier return spring).
In conclusion, I am happy with the investment and can not wait to see how it performs on the range. It will be interesting to see if I experience any light primer taps as I have seen other member point out. If it performs as well range side as it does dry firing I will give the upgrade two thumbs up.

The manufacturer points that out as well, call them if you don't believe it.

Droc101
10-23-2010, 8:52 AM
The manufacturer points that out as well, call them if you don't believe it.

I diod not mean that to be negative in anyway shenan. I noticed that from other members in other threads as well.

iareConfusE
10-23-2010, 9:03 AM
:|

Just let him enjoy his Comp AEK. I'm sure it'll function just fine. Like I said before, trigger pull may be too light for me, but if you can dig it, then I can respect that.

Flork805
10-25-2010, 9:25 AM
What Came with it:

Doc, I'd be very interested to know if you have any trouble with the kit at all.

We tested everything with the widest variety of ammo we could find and didn't have any issues, but we're always open for more input from any source.

I've been reading reports of some M&P shooters cutting the Apex Striker Spring to lighten up the trigger pull even more.....I don't advise this as a normal coarse of action, but according to those guys it's been working.

Droc101
10-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Doc, I'd be very interested to know if you have any trouble with the kit at all.

We tested everything with the widest variety of ammo we could find and didn't have any issues, but we're always open for more input from any source.

I've been reading reports of some M&P shooters cutting the Apex Striker Spring to lighten up the trigger pull even more.....I don't advise this as a normal coarse of action, but according to those guys it's been working.

Yeah, my trigger is only about 2 and a third pound now. I don't think it needs to be any lighter :). I was not able to make it out the the range due to weather but I will get out there asap.

Droc101
12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
I was finally able to get to the range. Wow! That pretty much sums it up. I noticed an average reduction in my groups of about 1" at 25 yards and as much as two inches at 15 and shorter. The trigger really supriseses you when it breaks so it is much harder for me to 'anticipate' the recoil. I only had the chance to test it with Rem UMC 180 gr, but I did not have a single issue (light primer strikes etc) in 1300 rounds. I highly suggest this product to anyone that is considering a smith M&P. I do understand why some people are hesitant to carry the pistol with this enhancement as the trigger is very light. I started carrying my 1911 instead (tuned down to a 4lb. trigger) for my own comfort, but at the range you can bet ill be reaching for my M&P first.

Shenaniguns
12-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I got to try one of Flork's 9L with a worked AEK (~2ish pounds) and WOW is right! lol For a Duty/Carry gun it is too light for me personally but it's an awesome competition gun.

bin31z
12-22-2010, 2:01 PM
I was finally able to get to the range. Wow! That pretty much sums it up. I noticed an average reduction in my groups of about 1" at 25 yards and as much as two inches at 15 and shorter. The trigger really supriseses you when it breaks so it is much harder for me to 'anticipate' the recoil. I only had the chance to test it with Rem UMC 180 gr, but I did not have a single issue (light primer strikes etc) in 1300 rounds. I highly suggest this product to anyone that is considering a smith M&P. I do understand why some people are hesitant to carry the pistol with this enhancement as the trigger is very light. I started carrying my 1911 instead (tuned down to a 4lb. trigger) for my own comfort, but at the range you can bet ill be reaching for my M&P first.

whoa that's alot in one day. hands must have been tired.

Droc101
12-22-2010, 2:45 PM
whoa that's alot in one day. hands must have been tired.

They were pretty cramped the next day. :) It was worth it though. I got to the range at 9:30 am and didnt leave till almost 4 in the afternoon. I cleaned the gun three times over the course of shooting which forced me to take a break every now and then. :) Now I get to reload it all, rinse repeat. :)

bin31z
12-22-2010, 2:48 PM
Let's say you are paying like 30 bucks for each hundred rounds. That's almost 400 bucks of ammo in one day!!

They were pretty cramped the next day. :) It was worth it though. I got to the range at 9:30 am and didnt leave till almost 4 in the afternoon. I cleaned the gun three times over the course of shooting which forced me to take a break every now and then. :) Now I get to reload it all, rinse repeat. :)

Droc101
12-22-2010, 4:22 PM
Let's say you are paying like 30 bucks for each hundred rounds. That's almost 400 bucks of ammo in one day!!

Whats your point? my ammo bill that day was almost 700 between the 9 40 and 45.

ZX-10R
12-22-2010, 4:35 PM
Spoke to Scott today and told him my gun background. Find out he shoots at SLOSA as well as I do. Told me to go with the 4.5lbs trigger. I agree. 2.5lbs is light for sure and had that on my XR and a sneeze would make it go off. This is me though. Remember rifle trigger and gun different he said. Told him what I want to do and gave me great recommendations.

Going to hook up with them at the Hogue range there or Skeet range and drop my M&P 45 in a couple of weeks.

I am pretty excited about this!