PDA

View Full Version : Considering getting my ffl

jonzer77
10-12-2010, 3:44 PM
I mainly want to get an ffl so I can continue to purchase ammo online and be able to buy a new gun online and save a few bucks. I would also be interested in ffl transfers but I wouldn't have a retail store front, more of a home based business. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Ron-Solo
10-12-2010, 5:25 PM
An 01 FFL is to conduct business as a firearms dealer. The costs involved and the hoops you must jump thru are prohibitive just to be able to buy a gun online. Home based FFLs are difficult to get approved, adn in some locales is almost impossible.

A Curio & Relics Collectors ( 03 FFL) is $30 for 3 years and allows you to buy C&R long guns online. If you get a Certificate of Eligibility ( C.O.E.) from the State DOJ, you can buy handgun ammo on line after Feb. 2011. The COE runs about $100.

jtmkinsd
10-12-2010, 7:25 PM
I mainly want to get an ffl so I can continue to purchase ammo online and be able to buy a new gun online and save a few bucks. I would also be interested in ffl transfers but I wouldn't have a retail store front, more of a home based business. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

First order of business if you wanted to go this route is checking with your local government to see if they even allow "home based" firearm businesses. Once you get that squared away you can come back for the next steps.

jonzer77
10-12-2010, 8:07 PM
I think I will look into C.O.E. Because my primary reason is to not spend $25 for a box of 50 rounds at the range or call walmart 24/7 to see if they have put their ammo out yet. I have seen at home ffls close to me so it might be possible. Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated.

jonzer77
10-12-2010, 8:45 PM
I looked at the form for the 03 ffl and it asks if I have a hunting license and if I don't then I am not able to have firearms and not able to have a 03ffl? That seems a little weird unless I am reading it wrong.

aquaelvis
10-12-2010, 9:34 PM
Many of the "home based" FFL's will sell ammo at good deals just to get some of their minimums up and get customers. One of the FFL's I have used here in town will sell me ammo and scopes at his cost as long as I order a couple hundred bucks at a time, it helps him get free shipping.
If I buy a rifle from him I get a good deal, if I factor in a scope at cost it is a great deal.
Ask around and see what they will do for you. Make it easy, give them part numbers, etc. and don't order a box, buy a case.
I am waiting for my FFL now (should be soon) and it hasn't been cheap. If I wasn't in the line of work that I am I would not do it. It is hard to imagine how it will make a profit for 99% of home based businesses.

Ron-Solo
10-12-2010, 9:41 PM
I looked at the form for the 03 ffl and it asks if I have a hunting license and if I don't then I am not able to have firearms and not able to have a 03ffl? That seems a little weird unless I am reading it wrong.

That section is for non-US citizens.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-12-2010, 11:26 PM
That seems a little weird unless I am reading it wrong.

Yeah, you are reading it wrong.

tenpercentfirearms
10-13-2010, 7:12 AM
I would wait if I were you. The CGF has already filed a suit that will probably block the implementation of AB962.

Unless you have money to blow and want to authorize the ATF and DOJ to come audit you once a year, I wouldn't get an FFL just for the fun of it.

cdennyb
01-02-2011, 12:46 AM
I had a FFL during the years of 1970-1985 for exactly the reasons you stated in the OP, this year I filed for a renewal of it (it was expired) and sent in the $200 and fingerprint cards etc. and then got a call from the DOJ guy and he stated I couldn't have one because I lived in a residence zoned AR (Agriculture / residential) and would have to get the county zoning commission to change it to commercial or move. Another option was to open a storefront downtown, insurnace, liability contract with the landlord, etc. etc.) and pay their $600+ yearly fee.
I told him (both DOJ & County) and them that I wouldn't make enough profit to pay for the excessive county fees and this was ridiculus. I have since had to file a withdrawal and I'm still waiting after 5 months for my $200 refund to show up.
I'm still considering the option of moving to obtain it easier, out of calif.

tenpercentfirearms
01-02-2011, 9:20 AM
I had a FFL during the years of 1970-1985 for exactly the reasons you stated in the OP, this year I filed for a renewal of it (it was expired) and sent in the $200 and fingerprint cards etc. and then got a call from the DOJ guy and he stated I couldn't have one because I lived in a residence zoned AR (Agriculture / residential) and would have to get the county zoning commission to change it to commercial or move. Another option was to open a storefront downtown, insurnace, liability contract with the landlord, etc. etc.) and pay their $600+ yearly fee.
I told him (both DOJ & County) and them that I wouldn't make enough profit to pay for the excessive county fees and this was ridiculus. I have since had to file a withdrawal and I'm still waiting after 5 months for my $200 refund to show up.
I'm still considering the option of moving to obtain it easier, out of calif.

This post doesn't make sense to me. First, I was not aware that the DOJ cared where you were located as long as you had the proper local business license. Are you sure it was the DOJ that called and not your local business license issuing authority?

Second, assuming all of your facts are correct, did you contact the local business license issuing authority and ask them if they had an issue with a home based FFL? If they said no, then I do not believe the CA DOJ has the discretionary power to deny your CFD application.

I just want to get some clarification here because my understanding is the CA DOJ could care less where your shop is located. If you have a local business license that says, "Valid for the Retail Sale of Firearms", that is all they care about. If the DOJ suddenly does care about this, I would like to know.

Additionally, the CGF might want to know about this as well. It could have been you were just strong armed out of the FFL business with no legal authority.

cdennyb
01-05-2011, 7:13 PM
the BATF & DOJ will not sign off on it if the location doesn't conform to local regs. you are correct, the local license issuing authority is (in my case) the local zoning commission is to blame and since this property I've lived on for over 2 decades is zoned AR for residential agriculture and not commercial like they require now. It was apparently good enough for the years before when I had one here. I would also need to pay the excessive 600+$ fee to the county to get it going and I didn't feel like going that far into it.
They just want to make it so expensive and difficult that the small time home shop operators like me and the OP loose interest or can't justify the cost for the amount of work and profit we would realize.

Table Rock Arms
01-05-2011, 7:26 PM

When you fill out your application for your FFL, there is a question on there that asks if you are planning on making a business out of it. If you answer no, you will not get your FFL. If you answer yes, in your case you would be lying.

keoni_taylor
01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
I carry 90% of the time I'm out and about. I hit the Chico and Oroville W.M.'s and when I go in the door, if there's a greeter standing there I usually just quick open and close my unzipped jacket to let them get a glimpse of the butt of the 45 and say quietly to 'em, "I'm packin', and it's ok."
You should see the help you get while shopping. When I spot one of the 'tails', I ususally confront them and ask, "You work here, ...Where's the ???whatever??" and after doing that to a couple of them, they quit. It's really quite entertaining.

If you keep flashing your gun to Walmart Door Greeters your not going to be able to own a weapon let alone obtain an FFL

joefreas
01-06-2011, 3:07 PM
If you keep flashing your gun to Walmart Door Greeters your not going to be able to own a weapon let alone obtain an FFL

Yeah and probably get shot like the guy at Costco-

appagohm
01-07-2011, 4:31 AM
I own a multi-family house, located not even 100ft from a school. Will this be a problem for FFL? I would think it would, and is the reason I did not apply for a home based FFL. Basically my house is fenced in but right across the street is a high school, and to the right is a adult school, left is another house.

Wonderwhippet
01-07-2011, 7:32 AM
For years I have wanted to open a mail order gun business doing business on the Internet. There woud be no local sales, no walk-ins, just receiving and shipfping firearms. I think I can get the local business license, but would the BATF require me to have commercial premises, or could I work out of my house?

Mssr. Eleganté
01-07-2011, 9:48 PM
...would the BATF require me to have commercial premises, or could I work out of my house?

ATF will let you work out of a tree fort in your back yard as long as there are no local laws or zoning issues prohibiting it.