PDA

View Full Version : Need some recomendations

Sturnovik
10-12-2010, 1:32 PM
A family member is looking for his first pistol. I had him take a look at my Glock 17 and Sig p226. He likes having a pistol with a hammer and the trigger of the Sig. But he likes the light weight and balance of the Glock and finds it points better for him. He's got big hands so the Glock does fit.

He is interested in the Beretta and wants something along those lines since we cant get the Beretta 90Two polymer one.

So if he wants a high quality, light weight, balanced but hammer designed gun, what would you guys recommend?

Greg-Dawg
10-12-2010, 1:37 PM
Have him take a class first to learn how to shoot, then become a member of a range that rents out guns.

Then tell him to buy a Glock.

Sturnovik
10-12-2010, 1:40 PM
Haha I have been pushing him to get a Glock since he liked the feel, he just doesn't like the idea of a striker system and he's fired handguns quite a bit, but only the glock and revolvers.

What do you guys recommend? I recommended the FNP9 as well.

gorenut
10-12-2010, 1:46 PM
So if he wants a high quality, light weight, balanced but hammer designed gun, what would you guys recommend?

USP or P2000 comes to mind. P30 if you can get off-roster - I think USPs are finally coming down to reasonable prices due to P2000s and P30s, not sure about your friend's price range.. I'd mention Sig P226/229, but you said lightweight. Sig Pros are a little lighter and a lot cheaper - just make sure you don't get part of the Turner terd batch. CZs I don't find too heavy (I don't really find Sigs heavy either, though).

Sturnovik
10-12-2010, 1:48 PM
Yea he found the sig, well not too heavy but to him when he practiced it seemed to dip down to much with aiming and was to unbalanced in his mind. I'm thinking that a USP might be a good match for him since he can get bobbed hammers or the regular and DA/SA and DA actions. The caliber were looking at is most likely 9/.40 but I think for he'd prefer a 9mm.

Greg-Dawg
10-12-2010, 1:51 PM
Then I'd get an Hk.

gorenut
10-12-2010, 2:14 PM
Yup, as mentioned, they're falling into reasonable price territory - USPs that is. They're just about perfect in my hands with Hogue Handalls. You might wanna try both the 40 and 9mm. Some people don't like how the dual recoil springs feel with 40. I think both feel fine but wouldn't mind getting a 9mm due to ammo cost (I have a 40 right now, at Walmart, you can almost get 3 boxes of 9s for every 2 boxes of 40).

Recession
10-12-2010, 2:30 PM
CZ 75B SP-01

Very underrated gun. Doesn't get the attention that it deserves. Shoots like a dream.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/cz/CZ_SP-01_Phantom.jpg

gorenut
10-12-2010, 2:51 PM
CZ 75B SP-01

Very underrated gun. Doesn't get the attention that it deserves. Shoots like a dream.

Hah, you posted the Phantom, thats off roster. Of all the guns I could get off roster, this would be it (I know there are more luxurious choices, but I'm taking cost and function into consideration).

jptopz
10-12-2010, 3:02 PM
That's why I bought a HK USP, but now I own a Glock as well.

Recession
10-12-2010, 3:07 PM
Hah, you posted the Phantom, thats off roster. Of all the guns I could get off roster, this would be it (I know there are more luxurious choices, but I'm taking cost and function into consideration).

Meh, just googled SP-01 and that was the first picture that popped up. Had to make it quick because I'm at work. People would freak out if they saw a picture of a gun on my computer screen.

lawaia
10-12-2010, 3:28 PM
Yea he found the sig, well not too heavy but to him when he practiced it seemed to dip down to much with aiming and was to unbalanced in his mind. I'm thinking that a USP might be a good match for him since he can get bobbed hammers or the regular and DA/SA and DA actions. The caliber were looking at is most likely 9/.40 but I think for he'd prefer a 9mm.

Sounds like he is anticipating the shot. Lots of dry-fire practice and mix snap caps into the magazines at range sessions to eliminate this problem.

As for your original question, I say HK P2000.

badmonkey
10-12-2010, 3:38 PM
Sounds like he likes the glock. I suppose he should taste test the XD and the M&P so long as he's looking.

CZ 75B SP-01

I held a SP-01 at turners a few months back, and it definitely left me with a positive impression. it's a steel gun so it's got a nice weight/balance to it (i'm a 1911 guy), and points really naturally. trigger pull is also pretty good for a DA/SA gun out of the box. after i get a 4" .357 mag, it's likely my next handgun.

Sturnovik
10-12-2010, 5:27 PM
He has looked at the CZ, he did like the gun actually but he leans more toward the beretta series as of now.

He got to pick up the standard one, with a light rail and liked it alot. He says it fits him better than the glock does and likes the look more than the CZ. Do all models of the 92 have that barrel sticking out past the frame? And the beretta 90two look pretty darn similiar are the like interchangable magazines and barrels?

Recession
10-12-2010, 7:07 PM
He has looked at the CZ, he did like the gun actually but he leans more toward the beretta series as of now.

He got to pick up the standard one, with a light rail and liked it alot. He says it fits him better than the glock does and likes the look more than the CZ. Do all models of the 92 have that barrel sticking out past the frame? And the beretta 90two look pretty darn similiar are the like interchangable magazines and barrels?

CZ... the most winning-est gun in USPSA/IPSC Production Class. Let's see Beretta do this.

6178WHWi1hs&feature=PlayList&p=8F5DE79AD69FE29E&index=0&playnext=1

Swoop
10-12-2010, 9:13 PM
Sig