PDA

View Full Version : Bore Snake

LHC30
10-12-2010, 9:36 AM
Who uses these Hoppes bore snakes? They seem like a great idea, all in one scrubber and wipe for those times you don't need to clean the whole pistol.

Does anyone use cleaner/lube on the snake or are they meant to be used dry :confused:

Thanks.

evidens83
10-12-2010, 9:47 AM
I have a bore snake for each of my calibers. It makes a quick easy clean, not thorough but good enough. And yes, I drop some CLP on the front end before I run it through. I run it 5 times for good measure and my barrels are nice and shiny again.

SixPointEight
10-12-2010, 9:50 AM
I never believed in bore snakes. I used one on my Mosin Nagant barrel that I could never get clean. It looked great.

I'm now a believer and use one on every gun I have.

I'm also going to step out of the norm here and say that barrel's aren't that important to clean unless you're shooting lead or corrosive ammo, or getting lots of copper fouling. Spend more time cleaning the rest of your gun, and less on the barrel.

teIam
10-12-2010, 9:52 AM
Yeah, bore snakes are awesome for a quick cleaning job. Or for starting a more thorough job.

Everyone with a gun should own one, they make life a lot easier.

JaMail
10-12-2010, 9:56 AM
depends on your definition of work.. all i use is a boresnake, havent used patches or rod's in years.

as some of the other posters indicated, i have one for every caliber i own. run it through 2 or 3 times with clp or oil on the front of and its great.

my 1911 is the only one i ever take apart for cleaning, and other than boresnaking the barrel, i just wipe the rest of it down with a clp soaked rag.

ExtremeX
10-12-2010, 9:59 AM
+1 on bore snake

Kodemonkey
10-12-2010, 10:03 AM
I've got one in each caliber, when I travel with my shotgun it is great to take on vacation. Doesn't take up a lot of room and does a decent job.

LHC30
10-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks all, I'm kinda old school when it comes to cleaning - field strip and clean everywhere I can reach after each shooting day...

JT1989, I cant agree more...

titankeith
10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
+1 on boresnakes...used them during the 4-day tactical shotgun training at Frontsight and It was a lifesaver! Got em in all bores now-my Glock 23 will be perfect for the upcoming tactical handgun training this week!!

ALOC
10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Bore snakes are a must!

k1dude
10-12-2010, 2:19 PM
It's all I use anymore. I still have all my old cleaning equipment around just in case the boresnake can't get something out. I have yet to need to pull out my old cleaning stuff. My barrels are incredibly shiny clean every time I snake them. I see no need to do a more thorough traditional cleaning. I usually run the snake about 5 passes after letting the barrel soak for 5 minutes with Hoppes in it.

CrippledPidgeon
10-12-2010, 3:00 PM
I run my boresnakes dry, and I only use them in place of dry patches. Applying solvents or whatever to the boresnake is just messy.

xxINKxx
10-12-2010, 3:34 PM
I have a bore snake for both 9mm and .45...Good way to do a quick barrel cleaning to remove any debree. Thats about all its good for

Droc101
10-12-2010, 4:22 PM
Buy one and be a believer

advocatusdiaboli
10-12-2010, 4:50 PM
I started using them on my over and under shotguns (12 and 20) but recently decided that since they were so easy and fast I'd get them for rifles and pistols. No report yet--Cabelas order hasn't arrived. But they are the only thing I use for the shotguns any more.

Sinister_1
10-12-2010, 4:51 PM
I use one and love it. :)

six10
10-12-2010, 7:18 PM
Bore snakes are great, especially for quick/easy .22 clean-up at the range.

bob7122
10-12-2010, 7:27 PM
they're great usually all you will need unless theirs serious fouling and/or corrosive.
for serious fouling i mean copper or using whole lead bullet fouling.

Mezcalfud
10-12-2010, 7:39 PM
all I use anymore, comined with foam cleaner and clp

otteray
10-12-2010, 8:26 PM
And, they are washable!
I soak all of mine in hot, soapy water and then hang dry or tumble in a sock.

Wrapping a patch of lead removal cloth around the bronze brush portion of the snake really works when cleaning a lightly leaded barrel, too.

bucktooth7
10-12-2010, 10:12 PM
What is CLP?

LloydXmas250
10-12-2010, 10:18 PM
What is CLP?

Clean, lubricate, proctect. It's a 3 in 1.

G-forceJunkie
10-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Clean, Lubricate, Protectant. Breakfree is a popular brand. As for bore snakes, I like it for my .22's, quick and easy to clean if the chamber is getting gummy.

JanG
10-12-2010, 11:06 PM
i usually spray gun scrubber down the barrel then a few passes with the bore snake. seems to work anyway. rem oil wipes for the rest of the firearm.

HPGunner
10-13-2010, 12:16 AM
What about the rest of the gun? I love shooting my guns but sometimes cleaning it after a range session is such a chore. I always field strip and clean and lube my guns after every range session.

Maybe a few passes with a bore snake and a CLP or Rem Oil wipe down is all that's needed after the range? And a field strip clean and lube once every other session or once a month is adequate enough? Maybe I've been over cleaning my guns and can cut back a bit and a bore snake can save me a boat load of time.

ExtremeX
10-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Depending on round count AND the gun… every range trip.... I’d say that’s over cleaning. (I typically shoot 40-100 rounds per trip)

I go more by round count... Sometimes I let them get dirty just to see how they do if i neglect the cleaning process.

I have a target AR setup so I like to keep the bore clean, I run a bore snake + CLP after each range trip, but I don’t clean the rest of the rifle until 300-500 rounds.

My regular AR gets used and put away for multiple range trips before it gets any attention. Same with my XD pistol.

I hear over cleaning can also be bad, and expensive in cleaning supplies. Bore Snake really helped me cut down on the maintenance time and effort.

k1dude
10-13-2010, 3:00 AM
What about the rest of the gun? I love shooting my guns but sometimes cleaning it after a range session is such a chore. I always field strip and clean and lube my guns after every range session.

Maybe a few passes with a bore snake and a CLP or Rem Oil wipe down is all that's needed after the range? And a field strip clean and lube once every other session or once a month is adequate enough? Maybe I've been over cleaning my guns and can cut back a bit and a bore snake can save me a boat load of time.

Yes I would say you are overcleaning. You're probably causing more wear and tear than actual shooting does.

We aren't in the military and aren't in sandy desert or muddy jungle combat zones where constant cleaning is the difference between life and death.

I know of a guy with an XD45 with 165,000 rounds down the pipe that has NEVER cleaned his weapon. EVER. It still runs flawlessly with the ORIGINAL barrel. He has never even wiped it down. I took a close look at it broken down and could not believe how well it has endured. Other than a thin carbon coating on surfaces, it looked great. There was no corrosion to be found and he has shot it dozens of times in the rain. I would never do that to my personal weapons, but it illustrates how tough and reliable modern weapons are even while mistreating them badly. I'm sure you've seen the videos of horrific Glock abuse and they keep on shooting no matter what - with no cleaning.

Unless you're a long range competitive shooter or in the military, I'd say a boresnake and wipe down is good enough for about 90% of us.

johnthomas
10-13-2010, 3:15 AM
I just looked at Cabelas, they have a new one, new to me anyway.
It is the hoppe's Viper bore snake, has three cleaning brushes instead of one.

LHC30
10-13-2010, 7:22 AM
OK, so it seems a little CLP (or equivalent) on the snake is the way to go...Why didn't Hoppes include that in thier instructions????

I cant see cleaning a barrel and NOT leaving some sort of lube to keep it from rusting...

loosewreck
10-13-2010, 7:26 AM
I use them at the range every couple hundred rounds while the barrel's still hot and at the end of a session. I just run them through dry. However, I do a real cleaning when I get home, I don't over clean any of my barrels though.

From what I've read and overheard, most people who run them wet seem to put solvent on the front and lube at the end.

JaMail
10-13-2010, 8:19 PM
I use them at the range every couple hundred rounds while the barrel's still hot and at the end of a session. I just run them through dry. However, I do a real cleaning when I get home, I don't over clean any of my barrels though.

From what I've read and overheard, most people who run them wet seem to put solvent on the front and lube at the end.

which is why CLP is so good. i soak the part in front of the brush and the brush itself. then run them through, it leaves a very light layer on the barrel. if your worried about it being messy, keep it in a ziplock with a few peices of old tshirt, it stops them from being totally soaked in oil.

also, how messy can they be, your talking about carbon buildup on your hands and copper or lead on your fingers from reloading.

mnh327
10-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Yes I would say you are overcleaning. You're probably causing more wear and tear than actual shooting does.

We aren't in the military and aren't in sandy desert or muddy jungle combat zones where constant cleaning is the difference between life and death.

I know of a guy with an XD45 with 165,000 rounds down the pipe that has NEVER cleaned his weapon. EVER. It still runs flawlessly with the ORIGINAL barrel. He has never even wiped it down.

+1 on the XD45. Simply an awesome piece!

I guess I'm way overcleaning. Time to back off.

HPGunner
10-13-2010, 10:39 PM
I shoot between 100 to 200 rounds per range session. Sometimes 300 rounds if I got the time, but that's total with usually more than one gun. I'm definitely over cleaning and will have to back off a bit. I need to go out and pick up a bore snake for each of my calibers. 500 to 600 rounds before a field stip and full clean sounds like the rule of thumb I'm going start to go by.

Love it. Now it's not going to be a chore after each range day.

Rem222
10-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I always put a bore snake in my hunting pack when I'm in the field...

Echidin
10-14-2010, 12:03 AM
I have the bore snake viper for my AR, but haven't gotten around to getting one for any of my handguns. I'm not sure what the benefit of it is over the original bore snake, but it does a pretty good job.

lanwarrior
10-27-2010, 12:22 AM
How do you clean the boresnake itself? Just wash it with soap?