PDA

View Full Version : Customizing a 1911 -- Necessary?

chris_m90731
10-12-2010, 1:46 AM
Hey all,

First off, I'm debating whether to customize my Springfield 1911-A1 with a match grade trigger/barrel.

Is this necessary in order to achieve better groupings? Smother two-stage trigger? And if so, know of any good websites that provide quality customization?

Was recently @ my local range, getting 1" groupings @ 25 yards -- mostly in the red. Thought I was hot ****. But then this guy comes in. He's got a 1911 just like mine, but it's all tricked out/customized. He literally shot the red out of the target w/two fully loaded mags. :ninja:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2uiyxom.jpg

NiteQwill
10-12-2010, 1:50 AM
A proper barrel and bushing fit will always improve accuracy. But 95% of it is up to the shooter.

You can always tune your trigger and polish your sear. Not a 2-stage trigger...

If you want ideas, you can click my signature link under "carry pistol (http://bit.ly/aK6uCb)."

chris_m90731
10-12-2010, 1:55 AM
A proper barrel and bushing fit will always improve accuracy. But 95% of it is up to the shooter.

You can always tune your trigger and polish your sear. Not a 2-stage trigger...

If you want ideas, you can click my signature link under "carry pistol (http://bit.ly/aK6uCb)."

Thanks. Will do. But why the opposition to a two-stage trigger? Personally, I like the way it feels.

NiteQwill
10-12-2010, 2:20 AM
There is no such thing as a 2-stage 1911 trigger. They are all single action only.

redcliff
10-12-2010, 6:34 AM
If you're getting 1" groups at 25 yards don't touch the barrel. It takes a lot of money to improve on that. A better trigger might be obtainable with just a trigger job by a qualified gunsmith.

erratikmind
10-12-2010, 6:46 AM
Not necessary to customize. However, as with most firearms, people to customize them to suit their own goals and needs, if so desired.

Colt
10-12-2010, 6:59 AM
No need to work on the pistol, but it's always fun. I suspect trigger time and ammo are better uses of funds.

As to your question about custom pistolsmiths, the folks here are all outstanding:

www.louderthanwords.us

Good luck.

BluNorthern
10-12-2010, 7:30 AM
Maybe the sear and trigger if you want, but with the groups your getting I wouldn't touch it if it my my pistol. Are you thinking of shooting competitively? That might change how you want it set up. As a carry gun or weekend shooter it sounds good to go.

1911Operator
10-12-2010, 7:31 AM
if your getting 1" groups at 25 yards..... dont touch a thing. thats good enough in my book. you said you dint hit the red though, are your sights off? because a 1" grouping would punch a hole though it.

ocspeedracer
10-12-2010, 7:32 AM
the bushing barrel fit, as stated will improve accuracy. A lighter/smoother trigger might help you be more accurate in shooting it. A new barrel might be warranted if yours really sucks but otherwise it probably shoots better than you.

Shenaniguns
10-12-2010, 8:18 AM
I think he meant 1" at 25 feet

jessegpresley
10-12-2010, 9:27 AM
Was recently @ my local range, getting 1" groupings @ 25 yards [/IMG]

My Wilson Tactical Supergrade is not guaranteed better than 1" at 25 yards. So no, dropping in a match barrel and bushing won't help you. But I wish you'd take me shooting. Every time I hear range reports like this I wonder where are these sharp shooters when I'm at the range? Because to shoot that good you'd have to be there all the time. But every time I'm at the range everyone is shooting the ceiling.

BHPFan
10-12-2010, 9:44 AM
You shoot 1" groups @ 25 yards?

Well, save the money and invest in more ammo. With more practice, you'll beat that guy with the tricked out pistol.

Hey all,

First off, I'm debating whether to customize my Springfield 1911-A1 with a match grade trigger/barrel.

Is this necessary in order to achieve better groupings? Smother two-stage trigger? And if so, know of any good websites that provide quality customization?

Was recently @ my local range, getting 1" groupings @ 25 yards -- mostly in the red. Thought I was hot ****. But then this guy comes in. He's got a 1911 just like mine, but it's all tricked out/customized. He literally shot the red out of the target w/two fully loaded mags. :ninja:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2uiyxom.jpg

J-cat
10-12-2010, 9:44 AM

I think so too.

Heiko
10-12-2010, 9:45 AM
My Wilson Tactical Supergrade is not guaranteed better than 1" at 25 yards. So no, dropping in a match barrel and bushing won't help you. But I wish you'd take me shooting. Every time I hear range reports like this I wonder where are these sharp shooters when I'm at the range? Because to shoot that good you'd have to be there all the time. But every time I'm at the range everyone is shooting the ceiling.

I also think that it is meant to be 25 feet. 1" at 25 yards with a pistol is darn good. Funny you mention people at the range shooting at the ceiling at your usual range. It always scares me when I see bullet holes in strange places at the range.

Shenaniguns
10-12-2010, 9:50 AM
Just an FYI, it takes a well fitted 1911 to do a 1" group at 25 yards "Rested".
And then another guy comes and beats that off hand? It's easy to see he's talking about 25 feet.

Ascout
10-12-2010, 11:20 AM
No need to work on the pistol, but it's always fun. I suspect trigger time and ammo are better uses of funds.

Good luck.

That.

SPR18
10-12-2010, 2:01 PM

1" at 25yds and you want a 2 stage trigger ...just kidding......

op ... you make my day :rofl2: