PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a gun

hqly2001
10-11-2010, 9:57 PM
Do you normally get the gun in display or should you ask for a brand new gun?
I noticed that when people buy they buy the display model which may have scratches. IS it normally frowned upon to ask for a brand new one?

bjl333
10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I will ask if they have a new one in stock. If there are scratches on the display gun and thats the only one instock, I would ask for a discount for a scratched up gun. If the gun is badly scratch and they won't discount enough I would walk.

hqly2001
10-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I plan to buy one as a GSSF member. Hopefully they won't tell me that it's the only one just so that they can get rid of it. Assuming that there are scratches etc.

I prefer things brand new, but I guess if a gun doesn't have many scratches I could live with it. If a gun has been dry fired too many times, would tha hurt? I'm sre some dealers allow dry fire and I've heard that it's not good to dry fire a gun to many times. Not sure if that's true or not.

five.five-six
10-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I prefer the gun that I inspected when I decided to buy.... but I rarely buy new guns

chesterthehero
10-11-2010, 10:27 PM
depends on what it is and where im getting it from.. if its a small mom and pop place im aware that im going to get the one on the shelf since they just dont have the inventory.. if its a larger store or a chain then i expect something other than the one off the shelf and i ask for it or pass on it if they wont budge on the price.. as for dry firing.. it depends on what it is..

hqly2001
10-11-2010, 10:29 PM
What are the top things you guys look for when making a purchase?
ANy has like a top 5 must do or must check?

hqly2001
10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
dry firing glocks.. any harm?

five.five-six
10-11-2010, 11:31 PM
^with real guns I would not worry but you may want to be careful with glocks

DDG
10-12-2010, 7:27 AM
When buying new, I would prefer one that was not in the display case. However, my experience is that some of the places that have the best prices do not carry a large inventory and many times the display model is the only one. I could wait for another one to come in. However, waiting has never been one of my strong traits when it comes to acquiring guns.

Just inspect it closely and expect a discount if there are any scratches or blemishes. Sometimes a harmless scratch can end up saving you good money. I understand that my guns will be used and will eventually show it. I don’t get too worked up over minor “use marks”.

FYI – My last two purchases where display guns. Both were in perfect condition and I was glad to have them.

hqly2001
10-14-2010, 11:21 PM
So it sounds like it's ok to dry fire a glock without any problems?

Sajedene
10-14-2010, 11:27 PM
I've done it and never had any problems.

And I know Turners recently had a sale to get rid of their display guns. They've been handled so many times - you should never pay full price for them.

Lead Waster
10-15-2010, 12:11 AM
I've done it and never had any problems.

And I know Turners recently had a sale to get rid of their display guns. They've been handled so many times - you should never pay full price for them.

Would you really buy a gun that can't handle being handled?

Sajedene
10-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Would you really buy a gun that can't handle being handled?

Would you really consider a gun that has been sitting out on display for who knows how long, touched, dry-fired, scratched, etc. by who knows how many number of people, to be worth the out-of-the-box price?