PDA

View Full Version : Kahr PM9 - How Do I Tell Which Are The "New" Ones?

lumwilliam
10-11-2010, 8:28 PM
I've read on these pages about the Kahr PM9 - many people talking about what a great gun it is. But I've also read about how they have had to go back to Kahr on many occassions...failure to feed, jams, etc. What I think seems to be the consensus is that the company has worked out a lot of these bugs on their "newer" guns.

How do you tell when a vendor is selling "newer" or "older" Kahrs? I saw impactguns.com selling the Kahr for an unbelievably low price of $599. Was about to jump on that, but then they let me know that this is the price for the "older" version. Is it serial number? Change in model number? How do I know for sure?

supermario
10-11-2010, 8:31 PM
Im curious to this also. I have heard good and bad reviews. I think they would be great for Carry because there soo slim and compact. Anyhow, sorry but I would like to hear from people whom own them also.

sniper4usmc
10-11-2010, 8:38 PM
Kahr's recommended 200 round breaking-in period....also have known magazine issue/problems http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPa3MtWkias

lumwilliam
10-11-2010, 9:25 PM
Kahr's recommended 200 round breaking-in period....also have known magazine issue/problems http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPa3MtWkias
I did buy used Kahr pistol, and shoot 200rds without any problems, but I did replace factory recoil spring with wolff aftermarket spring..

I saw that video too. Looks like the old mags fed really poorly. Do you think that was the cause of the problems with the earlier models? Sure doesn't seem like it from some of the feedback I've read on here...sending the guns back multiple times.

Is there a way to determine the year of manufacture of your gun? Does the model number change? I hear that the PM9 is actually the PM9030 or something like that?

Ranger20
10-11-2010, 9:58 PM
I had a P45 a few years ago and it was flawless I had somewhere around +400-700 rounds I can't remember... No issues.. I got it new. Cleaned it shot it. Then traded it for a G36. I wish I had that gun back..

That said... Just Call Kahr... They have good customer service and they will give you the right answer... ask for the reasons and that you are a potential customer.

Here is the link for contact: http://www.kahr.com/contact.html

GunDog
10-12-2010, 6:27 AM
The newer Kahr PM9's have an external thumb safety and LCI.....

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html

cineski
10-12-2010, 7:24 AM
Kahrs need 700 rounds of break in. No, I'm not joking. If it passes muster they're great but do not trust any Kahr after 200 rounds.....EVER.

JeffM
10-12-2010, 7:49 AM
I've had my PM9 for 5 years now. I've put at least 1.5-2k rounds through it without a single malfunction of any kind. I carry it on a daily basis and I trust my life to it.

sniper4usmc
10-12-2010, 7:55 AM
The newer Kahr PM9's have an external thumb safety and LCI.....

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html
but those are NOT on CA DOJ LIST...they have differ model/sku #

lumwilliam
10-12-2010, 2:52 PM
but those are NOT on CA DOJ LIST...they have differ model/sku #

Are you saying that the newer Kahr PM9's are not CA approved? Or is there a 'newer' version of the safety-less PM9?

7anthony7
10-12-2010, 9:41 PM
I went to an Armorer class where one of the instructors used to work at Kahr. According to him, one of the biggest issues is the hand polishing. One persons idea of hand polished is not in line with anothers and so on. I know of four people I work with , 3 of which had there guns sent back, 1 of which who sent it back 3 times, and 2 who just got rid of them. One went to an EMP and the other to a P238. The one guy who never sent it back swears by them and had no issues at all. Kinda a crap shoot. I have heard the customer service was good though about taking them back and trying to fix the issues.

sqroot3
10-12-2010, 10:34 PM
threadjack...are customers generally more uniformly satisfied with the k9 and km9 than with their polymer and half-polymer counterparts?

lumwilliam
10-13-2010, 5:03 PM
I went to an Armorer class where one of the instructors used to work at Kahr. According to him, one of the biggest issues is the hand polishing. One persons idea of hand polished is not in line with anothers and so on. I know of four people I work with , 3 of which had there guns sent back, 1 of which who sent it back 3 times, and 2 who just got rid of them. One went to an EMP and the other to a P238. The one guy who never sent it back swears by them and had no issues at all. Kinda a crap shoot. I have heard the customer service was good though about taking them back and trying to fix the issues.

I've heard tons of the same story...with about 50/50 - half loving their PM9s and having no problems, and half sending them back over and over. The feeling I've gotten is that the newer ones are MUCH more problem free. Still haven't heard from anybody about how you tell if you've got a new one...besides having one of the MA legal guns with the two additional safety's but that doesn't really apply to us here in CA since they are not on our approved list anyway.

sniper4usmc
10-13-2010, 5:14 PM
Are you saying that the newer Kahr PM9's are not CA approved? Or is there a 'newer' version of the safety-less PM9?

New PM9( PM9193,PM9193N)with safty is NOT on CA DOJ list...

glockwise2000
10-13-2010, 5:22 PM
I can not contribute any to PM9s for I do not own one. But I have a P380 (KP3833) which works great. I believe that they are built to the same principle and my P380 have yet to experience such failure. I am now at more or less 600 rounds since I got it last April. I bought a second one for my wife and this has yet to be tested probably next week.

brianm767
10-13-2010, 10:25 PM
I was in Impact Guns yesterday, and I didn't see any Kahrs at that price. maybe it's an online thing only? I wish I would have seen this post first, I would have asked them about it, I wasn't even aware there is a new an old model?

I'm curious too since I may be in the market for a PM9 or 40 soon.

By the way Impact had the black Ruger LCP .380's on sale for $269, I think my daughter may be gifting me one?