PDA

View Full Version : FNP9 Range Review

85FourEyedGT
10-11-2010, 7:06 PM
Well I got to take out my new FNP9 out this weekend for the first time, I put about 300 rounds through it and thoroughly enjoyed it!

300 Rounds, no FTE or FTF

the trigger is pretty good on it, there is a tiny bit of take up in SA but not enough to bother me, I did get hit with brass twice when it ejected but apparently that is normal for the first 500 rounds

I shot a box of WWB through it , 150 Federal FMJs and 50 Federal Hi Shok JHP's, the JHPs fed great, then again the HiShoks arent the most aggresive HP, Ill have to try some Hornady TAP or Winchester Rangers later and see how they feed.

Im still working on my handgun Accuracy, so to test it I had my friend who was a marine shooting instructor do it, he got a 1.5 inch group @ 20 yards his first time shooting it, so the accuracy is defenitely there

easy to take apart, didnt notice any abnormal wear when i cleaned it

Overall...A GREAT purchase for 550 bucks, if your on the wall with this one, go for it! you wont be dissapointed

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/efrenjimenez/IMG_20101008_003129.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/efrenjimenez/IMG_20101011_181806.jpg

Capt Jack
10-11-2010, 7:34 PM
Looks nice, good job! :D

ChrisTKHarris
10-11-2010, 7:37 PM
I've always like the FNP9.

RollingCode3
10-11-2010, 7:39 PM
You are killing me.... I dont need another gun to buy... :chris:...... thanks for the review

85FourEyedGT
10-11-2010, 8:55 PM
haha NP guys , if you got any questions about it let me know, i plan to put another 300 through it this weekend

xxsleepyxx
10-11-2010, 9:13 PM
Hey 85,

Have you heard of anyone putting thousands of rounds in this gun? Wondering if it is glock-like in reliability. Really like the DA over the glock... wish they made a compact though. I heard they used to.

Turo
10-11-2010, 9:16 PM
The FNP9 is a fun gun. My roommate just got one and he really likes it. One question though, does your magwell flex when you drop magazines, preventing them from dropping free? My roommate's did that and he had to alter his grip so the mags would drop free.

iareConfusE
10-11-2010, 9:29 PM
The FNP9 is a fun gun. My roommate just got one and he really likes it. One question though, does your magwell flex when you drop magazines, preventing them from dropping free? My roommate's did that and he had to alter his grip so the mags would drop free.

My friend's FNP9 mags don't drop free unless the slide is forward, or unless you push the magazine release button in pretty hard. Normal pressure on the mag release button isn't enough to drop a mag, unfortunately. Mostly due to the odd angle of the mag release. You can still get it out easily, but it requires you to break your grip quite a bit.

85FourEyedGT
10-11-2010, 9:34 PM
Hey 85,

Have you heard of anyone putting thousands of rounds in this gun? Wondering if it is glock-like in reliability. Really like the DA over the glock... wish they made a compact though. I heard they used to.

so far theres a guy on the fn forums that I know for sure has put 3000 rounds through his, at the rate im going ill have 3 or 4k through it by january lol

85FourEyedGT
10-11-2010, 9:36 PM

yea i see the magwell flex, kinda sucks, I didnt have any issues with the mag dropping at the range, but at home when i practice if i squeeze too hard then yea the mag doesnt want to fall

also like someone else said, the button has to be pressed pretty hard

Sturnovik
10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Does the gun feel durable? I've been wanting an FN pistol for a while and that exact finish/color as well. I only held one at a store but never shot it. It seem to be balanced well?

dllma70
10-11-2010, 10:39 PM
coming from a fellow FNP9 owner, I love the gun. It feels sturdy, has never failed in almost 1000 rds. and is a damn straight shooter in the right hands.

My only gripe is with the grip. I like my grips a little wider (big hands/ long fingers) and I find myself playing finger contortionist to get a solid grip.

My favorite 9mm to shoot with the possible exception of a DA/SA sig P226r

Sturnovik
10-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Thats good to hear, I am getting another Glock first but I am seriously considering that FN since its the same price or cheaper. I have a German sig 226 DA/SA and I love that design, to me its that or striker fired. Glad to hear that it feels like a strong frame, I heard some people saying the magazine issues were occuring as well.

85FourEyedGT
10-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Does the gun feel durable? I've been wanting an FN pistol for a while and that exact finish/color as well. I only held one at a store but never shot it. It seem to be balanced well?

the only part that is questionable is the verrrrry bottom of the magwell, my guess is that to increase mag feed speed, FN made the entrance as large as possible , making the polymer pretty thin there, it will flex a bit if you squeeze it hard with certain grip style

Its not really an issue for me though, i dont strangle the bottom of my grip at all

but the gun feels like its built to last, cant wait to continue putting it to the test

rubdub
10-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Can't wait to pick mine up on Monday. G'damn 10-day wait... =)

85FourEyedGT
10-16-2010, 4:21 PM
UPDATE! 10/16/10

Went back to the range today, put 150 Wally Federals downrange

gun was shooting great, Im not sure about a few things though, maybe I was shooting too much? I put 150 rounds down the gun in maybe 40 mins, the first 50 ran great and I got the grouping in the pic ( my best so far), the next 100 ran kinda crappy, The slide failed to lock after the last round a bunch of times, twice I got 2 jams where I could not pull the slide back where as soon as I let the mag drop the slide went forward and loaded the round, pretty weird, i got a few double feeds also AND I kept getting hit in the face with extracted rounds

WTF! none of this happened the first time I took it out! I LOVE this gun but its super annoying to have this happen! I almost couldnt believe it

anyways, any insight on the situation is appreciated, do you think it will go away? should I shoot 500 more rounds before calling FN Customer service?

anyways here was my best grouping, im pretty darn new to Handguns, so Im sure this showcases the guns greatness , not my shooting skills :D

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/efrenjimenez/IMG_20101016_141128.jpg

ChrisTKHarris
10-16-2010, 6:09 PM
I ALMOST bought one of these today when I was at the store.