PDA

View Full Version : Is CLP all you need?

mnh327
10-11-2010, 5:50 PM
CLP - Cleans, Lubricates, and protects.

Is this all-in-one all you need?

bubbapug1
10-11-2010, 5:56 PM
yes

ThatFishGuy
10-11-2010, 5:56 PM
From what I've read, you can get by with just a CLP. for average usage it will get the job done. However, there are products that are better cleaners, better lubricants, and better protectants.... just not all at once.

Prowler
10-11-2010, 5:57 PM
mobil 1 on all my weapons, once they're clean

sammy
10-11-2010, 5:58 PM
You will be fine with Hoppes 9 for getting the dirt off the different surfaces and to get the copper out of the bore. CLP works great as a lube which is all I use it for in my AR. For a lube all my other guns get Mobile 1 5-30 which is a bit thicker and lasts longer than CLP. None of this is necessary and if CLP is all you have that will work just fine.

sniper4usmc
10-11-2010, 6:00 PM
for AR15, I use CLP for clean and lube,but pistol I use tetra grease for lube

gorenut
10-11-2010, 6:18 PM
For general cleaning yes.. I would still bust out the Hoppes every now and then to get rid of the heavy powder residue after decent amount of shooting. If you're running full-railed steel slide handgun, I'd recommend using grease for the rails.

stphnman20
10-11-2010, 6:25 PM
That's all I use. But if I haven't cleaned any of my guns in a while then I use Hoppe's 9. Other then that, CLP is all I use.

den888
10-11-2010, 6:26 PM
Yes, for me, I use CLP for all cleaning and lubrication of my firearms.

Old4eyes
10-11-2010, 6:55 PM
I like spreading my money around to multiple companies:

Hoppes or Shooters Choice for barrel/cylinder scrubbing.
KG12 to get copper out.
Gun Scrubber to get gunk out of areas, surface cleaning slide and barrel.
Gun Butter for the slide.
Rem Oil for areas that doesn't get Gun Butter.
EEzox for protection against rust.

Sheepdog1968
10-11-2010, 6:56 PM
I use it quite a bit and have been very happy with it. Other product I use quite a bit are the Rem Oil wipes that come in little sealed packets. Lately I've also been adding grease to moving parts such as slides but I have no reason or issue that's driving me to do so.

BamBam-31
10-11-2010, 6:58 PM
I wouldn't use it in my bore (got MPro7 for that). Other than that, yes. I've since discovered Eezox. Better cleaner (you can also use it in your barrel), and it smells better, too. Still a big fan of Breakfree, though.

puropuro
10-11-2010, 7:00 PM
I go with the layered approach.

Hoppes #9 for initial soak/cleaning
Then, a layer of CLP and wipedown on exposed parts.
Finally, a couple dabs of Remi grease, and couple drops of gun oil in the moving parts.
Then, cycle, wipe, cycle, wipe, wipe, wipe, wipe.....load, rack, and secure.

stix213
10-11-2010, 7:08 PM
I use synthetic safe gun scrubber to clean, rem oil or similar to lube, on all my firearms.

CSACANNONEER
10-11-2010, 7:11 PM
I wont put anything with teflon into a rifled barrel. Ask any barrel manufacture or precision rifle builder about it. Teflon adheres with heat. Since barrels do not heat up evenly, the teflon will end up building up in an uneven way which will ruin your barrel down the road. Yes, it can be removed but, it's cheaper to replace the barrel than remove the teflon. So, to answer your question, I need more than CLP.

jessegpresley
10-11-2010, 7:18 PM
Breakfree is a CLP, but not every CLP is Breakfree.

ColdDeadHands1
10-11-2010, 7:21 PM
Hoppes #9 for the bores and cylinders, a thorough CLP wipe down, then Tetra grease on appropriate parts. This trio all seem to work well together for me!

sequoia_nomad
10-11-2010, 7:22 PM
Hoppes #9 and 3-in-oil. They've been around this long for a reason.

joedogboy
10-11-2010, 7:32 PM
CLP is great for your field/range bag. It will do everything.

That said, in your home kit, you may want to use specialized products that do their own specialty better than CLP.

I use CLP, nylon brushes, and a bore-snake for routine cleaning and maintenance, but will go with specialized products (like solvents, specialized lubes, and metal brushes) when I want to do a "serious cleaning".

robcoe
10-11-2010, 7:35 PM
For my 22's I use Breakfree and a little hoppe's gun oil because its quick. For a gun I might have to bet my life on I'm a lot more OCD about things, I go over those in detail with Hoppe's #9 and oil, then a little slide grease on the automatics. Takes longer, but I am a lot more confident in the results.

MA2
10-11-2010, 7:38 PM
Eezox if I know its going to sit for a while, or after a good cleaning.
Wish it was more readily available, good review here -> http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

For the quick job...
Internals Break-Free in the aerosol can.
External Rem Oil aerosol can.

Tetra gun grease for the rails only.

With proper maintenance, Break-Free will do the job http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

mrlightning559
10-11-2010, 8:03 PM
I used breakfree and tetra on my 1911 and it seems to do well in the bore but I'm sure they have better stuff out there but I love just using one product

jak77
10-11-2010, 9:58 PM
I wont put anything with teflon into a rifled barrel. Ask any barrel manufacture or precision rifle builder about it. Teflon adheres with heat. Since barrels do not heat up evenly, the teflon will end up building up in an uneven way which will ruin your barrel down the road. Yes, it can be removed but, it's cheaper to replace the barrel than remove the teflon. So, to answer your question, I need more than CLP.

What would you recommend for the bore? Specifically for leading, copper and an all around good bore cleaner. Also, doesnt the military put clp down the bore?

Astig Boy
10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
This strongly depends on the firearm.
CLP is all you need in most cases with AR platforms or most auto pistols...or if thats all you have. CLP doesn't mean that is all you need, it is satisfactory. Many firearms, like M14/M1As require grease. And not just old firearms,even Sig now recommends grease on their pistol rails but it isn't mandatory. CLP isn't the best, but it is good enough to get the job done.

vintagearms
10-11-2010, 11:15 PM
What would you recommend for the bore? Specifically for leading, copper and an all around good bore cleaner. Also, doesnt the military put clp down the bore?

The military uses CLP for everything. Once I got out, I was exposed to Kroil for cleaning and CLP for lubrication.

CSACANNONEER
10-12-2010, 7:07 AM

Yes, the military does use CLP for everything. It does everything so-so but, nothing great. It simplifies the process for those with a lesser IQ and allows them to only have one thing to order. The military is not worried about the cost of replacing cheap M16 barrels and they are not trying to maintain sub moa precision with most barrels either.

For extreme copper fouling, I use a rather dangerous but very effective mix of aquious ammonia and dish soap. For leading, I use a good brush and whatever bore cleaner I happen to have. For powder fouling/carbon build up, I've been using Montana Extreme but, that will probably change when I run out of my current supply. For exterior protection, I really need to find some lube that I heard about with lanoline (sp?). I did hear that it can be found under a John Deere label. I just haven't been able to find a bottle locally.

1911Operator
10-12-2010, 7:27 AM
I was in the ARMY for 3 years, and thats all we used! works great but..... it takes a little longer then normal to clean. now I have solvents and actual cleaners, afterwards I slap on a little CLP.

Fishslayer
10-12-2010, 7:55 AM
No...

Ed_in_Sac
10-12-2010, 8:20 AM
I agree with the multiple product approach; solvent, lube (wiping after application), selective heavy lube on slide guides. However, find I like the silicone gun and reel cloths the best for the outer surfaces. I rub in the silicone after applying a solvent and wiping dry. This seems to adhere nicely to my handguns and repels dirt and water well. Just the way I do it!

evidens83
10-12-2010, 8:22 AM
For basic general cleaning CLP is all I've used.

iareConfusE
10-12-2010, 8:24 AM
Hoppes #9 or Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber for the barrel.
CLP for the internals.
Brownells grease on sliding parts.
Boeshield T9 on pivoting parts.

RedFord150
10-12-2010, 8:34 AM
I use Shooter's Choice to clean the bore and Tetra Gun Grease on the rails of my semi-autos's.
CLP is fine for all other surfaces and a final coat in the bore as a preservative.

cineski
10-12-2010, 8:37 AM
WeaponShield, in my experience, is the best CLP. I've used Breakfree and it doesn't stay in place nearly as well as WS.

Droc101
10-12-2010, 8:38 AM
All I use is CLP. My uncle however believes "Its a piss poor gun that cant clean itself on the first shot". I think I'll stick to my way :)

drunktank
10-12-2010, 9:37 AM
Hoppes #9 for the bores and cylinders, a thorough CLP wipe down, then Tetra grease on appropriate parts. This trio all seem to work well together for me!

That's how I generally do things too!

To answer your original question OP, yes CLP is all you need. Yes, it is a compromise of sorts as there are better lubes, cleaners, etc. If you firearm is caked with carbon, debris, and whatnot, it may take a little longer to clean using just CLP, but it will clean and protect/lube just fine.

I use the Hoppes sovent because it is stronger and cleans easier if the gun is pretty dirty. I also use the tetra grease because it makes my slides feel smoother than using CLP. However, if CLP's in front of me when I clean, then that's what I'll use as I know it works fine.

Also, if you clean often/after every time you shoot, you need not worry about CLP not being as good a cleaner as, say, Hoppes since it won't take as long to clean as a very dirty gun.

tyrist
10-12-2010, 9:40 AM
Just don't use it on any firearms you carry. CLP tends to attract and hold debris.

guns4life
10-12-2010, 9:52 AM
CLP, then I hit the contact surfaces with Mpro7.

Droc101
10-12-2010, 1:21 PM
CLP, then I hit the contact surfaces with Mpro7.

Love the sig

mixwell
10-12-2010, 2:18 PM
This works great for my all in one !! This is all I run for cleaning, lube.. The nice thing is it won't damage wood or plastic. You can find this on midwayusa

http://loudounlongarms.com/pics/sportsmans_oil.jpg

GŁnter
10-12-2010, 2:33 PM
This works great for my all in one !! This is all I run for cleaning, lube.. The nice thing is it won't damage wood or plastic. You can find this on midwayusa

+1 ballistol ftw! i've used it to clean some of the nastiest guns before, too bad I can't find them locally.

SPR18
10-12-2010, 2:42 PM
CLP - Cleans, Lubricates, and protects.

Is this all-in-one all you need?

i use clp to clean and mobil 1 to lub:D

mixwell
10-12-2010, 5:24 PM
+1 ballistol ftw! i've used it to clean some of the nastiest guns before, too bad I can't find them locally.

Just head to midwayusa dot com and pickup a can !!! I've never actually seen it locally myself either so I just buy online.

otteray
10-12-2010, 8:34 PM

It is advertised to clean Black Powder, too.
http://www.ballistol.com/product_Firearms.htm