PDA

View Full Version : Los Altos Gun and Rod

NorCal MedTac
06-02-2006, 8:37 PM
How crowded is Los Altos Gun and Rod on the weekends? I really hate crowds so I'm hoping to save the drive up if its usually really crowded.

bu-bye
06-02-2006, 9:20 PM
Weekends? Very!

Weekdays? Not at all.

Its very nice place though. Most of the range master have a stick up their you-know-where but its still a nice place.

bwiese
06-02-2006, 9:47 PM
I'm going there tomorrow (w/buddies) for an all-day session.

I don't mind attentive rangemasters keeping things safe. I only had one issue there awhile back on the size of jugs I could shoot on Tin Can Alley.

xenophobe
06-02-2006, 9:59 PM
Los Altos is really nice and quiet on the weekdays. I still prefer Sunnyvale Rod & Gun. When it's hot outside, it's nice and cool in the almost-indoor bench area. It's also nice to be able to walk your target to the distance you want to shoot so you don't have to move locations. 25, 50, 100 yards, all from the same bench.... some of the benches even have 7 and 75 yard spots. Plus, the rangemaster doesn't bug you if you have a semi-auto and fling brass everywhere. Los Altos range staff have heart-attacks sometimes. Yikes!

icormba
06-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I only had one issue there awhile back on the size of jugs I could shoot on Tin Can Alley.

Over a gallon?
I got busted for using one of those 2.5 gallon water jugs because they say their recycle bins get filled up too quickly. I told them I'd take them home with me after I was done, they seemed ok with that.

I still prefer Sunnyvale Rod & Gun. When it's hot outside, it's nice and cool in the almost-indoor bench area. It's also nice to be able to walk your target to the distance you want to shoot so you don't have to move locations. 25, 50, 100 yards, all from the same bench.... some of the benches even have 7 and 75 yard spots.

TUESDAYS are GREAT!

JPglee1
06-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Over a gallon?
I got busted for using one of those 2.5 gallon water jugs because they say their recycle bins get filled up too quickly. I told them I'd take them home with me after I was done, they seemed ok with that.

I like to shoot 1 and 5 gallon planting pots, the black plastic kind. Fill it with sand and it will last and last and its easy to pack-out with you. I mostly shoot in the dirty dez tho so YMMV.

J

Dont Tread on Me
06-03-2006, 1:00 PM
Same as above. Weekdays are great, weekends it is a zoo.

There are a couple of range saftey officers who enjoy shouting a little too much. On the whole, the staff up there are great and it is a safe place to shoot.

Blennidae
06-03-2006, 3:58 PM
Was there earlier today. Arrived at 10am and there was a line of cars for people signing in. Once down on the range, the pistol side seemed pretty busy. There was no one on the tin can range at the time so I started there. Moved over to the 50yrd rifle side after that. Wasn't too crowded. On the drive out, pistol side still looked busiest.

Brought my OLL and no one even seemed to notice. Besides mine and my buddies, I only saw one other, shortly before we packed up for the day.

Wasn't as much hassle loading 10rds at a time, nor making it safe during cease fires. Just open it up and pulled the bolt carrier out a bit.